[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 18 KB, 604x368, pIsySDuU3hY.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
467718 No.467718 [Reply] [Original]

Old thread >>458743

>> No.467719
File: 567 KB, 1586x1123, skirt.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have a low res mesh with 1 vert on each joint, skinned to joints, then turned into an nCloth. My Model is skinned to every bone except those skinned to the low res nCloth.
I've tried wrap deforming the character model to the low res nCLoth, but it adds influence to the entire character, not just the skirt, and as far as i can find, there's no way to remove verts from a wrap deformer.
Making the character model an nCLoth isn't an option because it lags too much.

Does anyone know how to solve this, or a better solution to achieve the same result?

>> No.467793

>>467718
I am new to skinning in 3ds max and my mind isn't understanding it completely.

Why does it automatically apply weight to the root bone of my mesh when I remove weight from some other bone? Does the mesh always need to be 100% covered by weight or something? It makes it really tricky for me to adjust things when it randomly applies weight without me knowing it.

>> No.467823
File: 154 KB, 1227x765, Wind Waker.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have some game model rips and I need the models to have details from the textures for printing. Ideally I would indent where the edges of the patterns are, but dynamic topology doesn't preserve UV mapping (at least in Blender). Is retopology and subdividing my only hope?

>> No.467852

Beginner here. I want to get Maya, but it costs way too much for me at the moment, so I'm thinking about getting Blender instead, then I'll get Maya when I can afford that kind of investment.
The only problem is that I heard it's difficult to learn Maya if you're used to using Blender. Is this true? I don't want to start learning something if it'll only stall my progress once I get the program I actually want.

>> No.467853

>>467852
Maya is free for educational use (i.e learning it and producing stuff that isn't earning you money, so art or w/e). This there's nothing stopping you from learning Maya right now.

Also, Maya LT is only $30 a month. Even cheaper if you subscribe for a year.

>> No.467864

>>467853
Oh awesome. I'm guessing the student version is exactly the same except with restrictions on how I can share and export the files?

>> No.467866

>>467864
Yeah it's exactly the same, just a different terms of service and your Maya scene files .MA/MB have an "Educational Version" line in them so if they are opened in a commercial version a warning comes up saying not to use it for commercial purposes (but it still loads it and is usable).

>> No.467868

>>467866
...just use fucking blender and be done with it. If you suck in blender, you suck in maya, and you suck in anything else.

>> No.467889

>>467823
I found a result for baking displacement in maya that says "displacementToPoly;" in Maya bakes a displacement map to geometry.
If you don't have Maya upload the mesh as an obj along with the textures and i can give it a try.
>>467868
Why would you "just use Blender" if you don't have to? It just doesn't compare, and there's no reason not to use max/maya.

>> No.467896

>>467889
Thanks anon.
https://mega.co.nz/#!CkVmxYgJ!xlTtPx8JFZ9jpC6IXxkRvxPuBVhuJBlMxPZMbGstkJc

I have more models I want to process so if it works I might just give Maya a go.

>> No.467898

>>467823
To be honest, no automated method is going to get you nice results for 3D printing when you're using colored based maps for displacement. Displacement is a grayscale map and these textures will have widely varying grayscale levels.

For something like that, I would just subdivide it in ZBrush and quick sculpt over it. Probably just mask the area I want to raise, then do an inflate or extrude and be done.

>> No.467899

I'm about to start learning maya, and I'm upgrading my rig for it. What video card would you recommend? I don't want to spend too much but I also want to make sure I get something adequate.

>> No.467902

>>467898
I figured as much, the best results usually aren't automated. I was originally going to do that but the dynamic sculpting in Blender strips all textures away. I think I need to create a mesh snapped to the surface and graft that into the model mesh.

>> No.467903

>>467899
With VP2.0 you don't need a workstation card, so that will save you money off the bat. Anything Nvidia X60 and up is good enough. 660, 760, 960. You want high ammounts of memory, so look for a 6xx,7xx or 9xx GPU that has at least 2GB of memory, though preferably more.

What GPU do you have right now? Because I'd advise people to wait for next year to upgrade, as GPUs are finally moving to layered RAM, which means a huge bump in bandwidth and GB's of RAM. Also, a massive performance boost in general compared to other generations.

>> No.467905

>>467902
Yep, Since the UVs for different parts of the mesh are overlapped my plan won't work. I was going to bake out the textures at 4k into 1 diffuse colour map, then repaint/clean it up at 4k in PS, then apply that as a displacement map and bake the displacement to geometry.

But, since the UVs overlap i can't bake the texture. You could sort out thhe UV placement and repaint it yourself but that's impractical. May as well do as >>467898 says and mask/sculpt it in zBrush.

>> No.467907

>>467905
I know the UV map is a mess but that's not my work, it came like that. Thanks for trying anyway.

>> No.467911

>>467907
>>467902
Isn't there regular sculpting in Blender? Don't use dynamic, just subdivide the whole mesh so you have enough density to sculpt those large shapes. You're not doing any fine detail sculpting, don't need dynamic.

>> No.467946

I have a question: Is there perhaps any kind of resource site where you can find scripts of games, preferably in C++?

I mean some kind of site where you just have a huge list of games and then you can look up all kinds of scripts of these games and what they do in the game? Preferably for 3d space ship shooters.

>> No.467953

Will Maya have a Windows 10 edition as soon as the OS is released?

>> No.467954

>>467953
Windows 10 should have backwards compatibility regardless. But if an update is needed, Autodesk is usually pretty quick with that for their flagship products.

>> No.467955

>>467903
I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 right now. its more than 2 years old.

>> No.467957

>>467955
such age

>> No.467963

>>467955
Lmao, 2 years is not enough time to warrant an upgrade for Maya. That 660 is more than good enough for anything you'll be doing in Maya. Wait until next year if you really want to upgrade that bad, because the performance leap is going to be massive next generation and you'll have GPUs with immensely more RAM capacity.

>> No.467965

Why shouldn't I use Blender? I'm new to 3D and started playing around with it a few weeks ago.

Since then I have installed Maya and it's interface just seems so much more perplexed. I uninstalled it and continued with Blender (there seems to be more beginner tutorials available Blender).

So why the hell shouldn't I use Blender? Is it severely lacking compared to other commercial packages? Once experienced with Blender, would I be learn Maya easily?

>> No.467967

I have been trying the maya modeling toolkit out.

Is it supposed to be this retardedly horribly integrated and completely unusably broken?

No marking menu integration, they leave the old tools there and that takes you out of the modeling toolkit.

Symmetry breaks after a couple simple operations.

Wtf is this horse shit autodesk.

>> No.467968

>>467965
>Once experienced with Blender, would I be learn Maya easily?
Read what you said here:
>Since then I have installed Maya and it's interface just seems so much more perplexed.
This is why learning Blender first is bad, because Blender does everything so fucking stupidly and different from the rest of the industry. So you start learning it and then can't understand why things are the way they are in other 3D packages because you've already grown comfortable with Blender's fucked up interface.

Everything is neatly sorted into proper categories in Maya. You have your drop down at the top left for different areas of 3D, Rendering, Modeling, Animation and Dynamics. You have a shelf at the top where you can add whatever functions in Maya you want, or even scripts, so they are always right there for you.
You have the properties panel that opens on the right side so you can access the attributes of whatever you have selected. Your modeling toolkit also appears there a well.

Things are done faster in Maya using the ctrl/alt/shift radial menus when holding those down and clicking in the viewport. Pressing space allows you to go to 4 view mode, and hover your mouse over another view and hitting space again expands that view back to full.

UV editing is much easier, interacting with the mesh is immensely easier, and quad draw makes drawing out polygons shapes very intuitive.

You just have to be willing to forget about Blender for a bit and actually dedicate some time to becoming comfortable with Maya's interface, you'll soon discover how much better it is, as everyone else does who come from Blender to Maya and stick it out.

Also, it's the industry standard 3D software, Blender is used pretty much nowhere in the industry. So if you ever want it to be more than a hobby, it's pretty much a must.

>> No.467969
File: 21 KB, 347x208, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm starting out modeling and my biggest problem so far is wondering how to actually begin.

Like this for example, should I make a (thin) cup like cylinder then separate planes and attach them?

Or should I just make the cylinder and extrude each panel?

Or should I start with one plane, make it slightly curved, then extrude out the top "panel" part (and scale it down to give it that little edge)? And using that method, should I just duplicate it or use an array?

Too many choices and I can never seem to figure the right one.

>> No.467971

>>467963
Thanks. I was asking since I still need to upgrade a few things (For instance I need an i7, a new motherboard, and more RAM), so I was wondering if there's a better card I could use.

>> No.467972
File: 48 KB, 150x150, dsafu9823t3.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>467968
>You just have to be willing to forget about Blender for a bit and actually dedicate some time to becoming comfortable with Maya's interface, you'll soon discover how much better it is, as everyone else does who come from Blender to Maya and stick it out.

>> No.467975

>>467969
Start with a pipe actually. Then extrude up every other face or how many it is you like.

Find some modeling video tutorial and just follow every step, it's the easiest way to learn basics.

>> No.467976

>>467968
You've convinced me but I'm still hesitant to make the switch. Would it be okay to learn the fundamentals in Blender first and start using Maya once experienced?

>> No.467978

>>467969
The right answer is always a balance between the fastest method and the most accurate one.

>> No.467980

>>467976
I learned modeling with blender and then switched to maya, don't listen to faggots that say one specific software is shitty, blender is much easier to learn, and once you have the basics mastered you can go to maya and just learn the tools and shit, because you already know how to model.

>> No.467981

>>467972
It's called the interface flu.
It's painful and uncomfortable and like the real flu there's no cure but time.

>> No.467984

>>467976
Why would you bother sticking with Blender if you're going to switch to Maya anyways? Maya is free to learn with, so you're only making things harder on yourself by growing comfortable with Blender's methodologies. Just start using Maya now, not a hard decision...

>>467969
Generally you want to start with the largest and simplest forms of whatever you're modeling, and then add what edges and extrusions are needed to create the details. So in this case, you would definitely start with a cylinder and then do any edge insertions, extrusions and bevels needed to create the more detailed shapes.

>> No.467988

Trying to bake normal maps in maya. Bad idea? Does the process look like that in every other app, ie fiddling with the envelope ad infinitum until i get clean result?

Also how to deal with a bit more complex meshes, like forty elements. Say a car. I have my uvs laid out, but the smaller the shell, the shitter normal map. I guess i should do a map for every element full scale then combine them all in photoshop and scale down, hoping they match the uvs.

>> No.467991

>>467984
>Why would you bother sticking with Blender if you're going to switch to Maya anyways?
I know jackshit about 3D. I'm somewhat comfortable with Blender so I'd rather stick with it until I've got the basics down.

>>467980
Thanks. I'll probably be using to Blender for now.

>> No.467994

>>467793
You need to learn about the paint wight tool and wight table.

>> No.467999

How do I make a sitting animation for a four legged animal? I can't seem to figure it out. Does anybody know of a good tutorial for making sitting/animal sitting animations?

>> No.468001

>>467984
>Generally you want to start with the largest and simplest forms of whatever you're modeling, and then add what edges and extrusions are needed to create the details.

Actually this is exactly what kind of advice I was looking for, thanks. I should have an easier time starting now.

>>467978
Sounds good too.

>> No.468016

Anyone else trying out the maya lt 2016?

I have been tring to use the old shift+drag the manipulator to edge extend but it seems they removed it? A shame since this is the first time the modeling toolkit has been properly implemented.

>> No.468017

>>467718
I know I should probaly read the sticky, but I've been really stuck on this for a long time. I'm trying to make constantly deforming mirrored floor, but I'm having an incredibly hard time doing it. All the tutorials I'm looking at seem to be from a practical animation standpoint, but I'm really interested in stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBLybGZN_ek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGcoDGljrRs

>> No.468018

>>467988
No, it's a good idea. Maya's Transfer Maps and xNormal are the 2 best options in the industry for baking maps. Transfer Maps is much simpler to use than xNormal though haha. In every other software, the process is much more convoluted, buggy and produces poorer results.

Make sure you're using the proper matching method for your mesh. If your low-poly has a lot of hard edges, you want to set your bake to "Surface Normals" at the bottom, or if the mesh is mainly soft normals, then have it set to "Geometry Normals".

Usually you can get good results without even touching the envelope.

Transfer Maps documentation:
http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Maya/files/GUID-45376A98-6E91-4AE0-92E7-B83FDA9BC1E3.htm#GUID-45376A98-6E91-4AE0-92E7-B83FDA9BC1E3

Autodesk has extensive documentation on everything in Maya, just use the search panel on the left.

>Also how to deal with a bit more complex meshes, like forty elements. Say a car.
Bake a higher resolution map if you need to, or use multiple materials, so your tires and undercarriage might be one texture map and material, while the shell and interior would be another. That's more of just an intuition thing, knowing the size your UV shells should be for a set texture size and needed details. You can use the Layout function in your UV editor to have all the UV shells be scaled to their proper size, but often in games you'll scale down UV shells that aren't going to be seen as much, like the underside of the car and sometimes interior.

>> No.468019

>>468017
forgot to say I'm using blender

>> No.468020

>>468016
Huh? Could you explain what function you're talking about exactly? During what tool operation is this supposed to happen? Because simply selecting some edges and shift dragging the manipulator does not make it behave differently...

>> No.468030

>>468020
Its the modeling toolkit manipulator. in maya 2015 it replaced the default manipulator. but lost the handy shift drag extrusion mechanic.

>> No.468031

>>468030
meant to say in maya 2016

>> No.468033

>>468018
Thank you very much, setting to surface normals fixed a lot of issues, i overlooked that option completely.

>> No.468037

>>468030
Ah, well I haven't tried 2016 yet, but I highly doubt they removed the mechanic, it's probably just a different hotkey now then.

>> No.468057

>>468037
its 2016 lt , so i think they might have removed it and kept it in the full version.

There is an edge extend in quad draw but it is free and has no manipulator thus its not very friendly.

>> No.468059
File: 2.27 MB, 1774x766, 24 54.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can you mirror atributes? I have this rig, and I want the right foot to have the same atributes that I created in the left one. Is there any way to do this, other than creating them again by hand?

>> No.468060
File: 70 KB, 960x540, normals.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can you get the normals to how they were by default in Maya?
Right is the original
Left is after using "Set to face"

>> No.468063

>>468060

Try to average them. or use different smoothing angle

>> No.468073

>>467999
Find reference

>> No.468083

>>468060
After you set to face, do a "Set Normal Angle" and set it to around 75 degrees, so anything below a 75 degree angle will be a soft edge, and above will be hard.

You can also manually choose which edge are hard and soft by selecting an edge and choosing either "Soften" or "Harden" in your Normals menu.

>> No.468107

Can anyone recommend some good tutorials for 3d Coat? Free preferred, but paid is alright too.

>> No.468121

>>468060
Set the normals per edge. i.e , an edge of a smooth surface, select it, normals > smooth.

>> No.468131

I've read the sticky, but I still have some questions.
What versions of Blender and 3DSMax are best for an XP user?
I usually get the latest of everything, but I think the new versions don't work on XP?
Also, I'm with an i5 and GeForce GTX650 so I don't want it to be too harsh on my PC.
(Note, I want to make mostly some low poly and amateur stuff; also WinXP supports up to DirectX9 only, if it matters)
Thanks a bunch.

>> No.468133

>>468131
wow im on a g3258 dual core and 480 on win10 preview no problems.

why so conservative kid?

>> No.468135

>>468133
Dunno I'm just used to it, I guess.
And I don't really need much more than that. (except maybe the separated volume control channels, I guess that's a pain sometimes)
Got Windows7 on my laptop, and I like it, maybe I'll put it on this machine as well at some point.
I'm really into nostalgia stuff, maybe that's the reason. Ha.

How about that question, got any idea if I'll have problems with the latest versions or if it'll strain my parts in some way because of the old OS?

>> No.468136

>>468135
your parts will get strained

>> No.468137

>>468136
What should I do? Upgrade OS? Older versions? Hardware upgrade?
Read: I'm 3d unsavvy as fuck

>> No.468138

>>468137
are you overclocking?

>> No.468139

>>468138
In general, I try to not strain anything, so no

>> No.468141

>>468139
stock coolers? how many fans in case? When's the last time you dusted inside?

>> No.468142

>>468141
I dust regularly but stock coolers and no extra fans, regarding temp I'm around 30C-40C on all parts

>> No.468147

>>468142
So? >>468137
Any suggestions?

>> No.468148
File: 70 KB, 1213x725, 33242323.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do building interiors typically get modeled for games? Can't find any tutorials. This is what I've got so far.

>> No.468151

Can I do good cg art if I have no ability to draw or paint or anything like that?

>> No.468157

>>468151
It helps, yeah. If you can draw then you can make your own concepts and references. You'll probably also be a lot better off with some artistic ability if you plan on sculpting or doing your own texture work.

>> No.468162

>>468148
The process itself simply involves you fleshing out the environment in simple geometry untill you get a feel for the flow of
the level/rooms that satisfies your wishes, from their you start doing detail passes over it to flesh it out to a finished product.
But interiors beyond your standard box rooms and corridors are very tricky to get a solid grip of.

The hard part is that a interior environment is a very different beast from a exterior one, or modelling objects such as characters or vehicles etc.
With those you can stand back and see exactly what you got, with an interior you can't do this since you need to see it from the inside as trough your eyes.
You can't see all of your room/rooms at the same time since the interior vantage point don't allow this. To feel their proportions and understand how their layout
reads you need to move around inside them and contemplate multiple angles and nooks and crannies to understand what you really got going.

The main thing to understand is that you're not really designing the walls, floors and roofs, you're actually designing the empty space between them.

>> No.468163

>>468148

Go check Lunaran's tutorials http://lunaran.com/page.php?id=9

Hang out in communities for specific games. There are active communities for Doom, Quake, Unreal, Halo, etc.

Ask for help in /agdg/.

>> No.468164

>>468157
so I'm fucked, damn

>> No.468166

>>468164
No, you're not fucked. A lot of professional modelers in the industry aren't good at 2D. You can be a good sculptor without being a good painter, they're different skill sets that merely share some design knowledge.

Will you have an easier time landing a job if you're great at both? Yes. But you can get good at sculpting by just practicing, just like you can get good at 2D with practice, even easier actually.

>> No.468174

>>468166
Will texturing be outside of my abilities? I'm not interested going pro just getting good

>> No.468213

Here's a bunch of questions. I'm starting out with sculpting in blender.

1) I tried sculpting heads and animu heads and they don't even resemble heads/animu heads. What do you practice on when what you sculpt doesn't even resemble what you want to sculpt?

2) I get tutorials and courses on human anatomy or how to sculpt the female head or how to model a car. But how do you go from there to sculpting/modeling something arbitrary?

3) somewhat related to 1, practice x hours per day seems like a good strategy to learn 3d, but in general, how should I practice and on what?

ps: I have absolutely no 2d skill.

>> No.468246

>>468174
No, because most texturing for sculpted models involves photo-sourcing and procedural/baking generated details. These days you paint directly onto the 3D model, so it's easier to judge how your painting is affecting the model.

>>468213
Don't start out sculpting with Blender, it's only going to hinder you and make you wonder why you're not improving. It doesn't have the kind of performance, toolset and freedom that ZBrush gives you to iterate quickly and improve. Sculpting in Blender is mostly a gimmick right now.

>> No.468248
File: 47 KB, 774x353, bridge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Stupid question. Is there anyway to continously bridge in Maya?

I'm moving from Modo Indie to Maya LT.

>> No.468263

i'm about to be a newly grad anon.

what are the things i should ask from a company that hires newly graduates on 3d field?

( salary?, work hours per week? benefits? in-house training? )
just in case it won't hit my head that hard.

>> No.468265
File: 69 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do I render JoJo style in Maya?

>> No.468266

>>468263

Portfolio?

It all depends how good you are. If you have a shitty portfolio like most grads you better beg for a job.

>> No.468267

>>468265
A lot of that detail is just directly drawn on the textures.

>> No.468269

>>468267
Won't that fuck up the lighting? I mean, if the shadows are already textured and not rendered

>> No.468272

>>468269
The reason the shadows and details are painted onto the texture is because the lighting system isn't delivering the anime-like details that the animators want.
The engine comes second before the needs of the animator.

>> No.468273

>>468272
If you didn't understand that post: Basically at certain angles, shadows aren't being cast where they would be if this were being drawn for anime. Regardless of whether or not this practice is actually physically accurate doesn't matter, it doesn't look good so they're changing it.

>> No.468274

>>468273
Oh, I guess that makes sense. Thank you!

>> No.468300

>>468248
What do you mean? Just bridge it an extrude the face up instead of the edges and it will remain bridged...

>> No.468304
File: 16 KB, 500x375, ceiling-panel-replacement1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do I create a panel ceiling? I mean, I can use arrays, but would it be more efficient to just use tecturing and materials? I want so panels to be missing, etc. so at least some of it does have to be physical geometry.

>> No.468305

>>468304
Also, best way to make the lights in the ceiling? I figured just modelling it out then making the cover panel with some sort of translucent texture to get it to look like that, but would that illuminate properly or is it gonna leave weird shadows all over the place.

>> No.468315

>>468304
>>468305
railclone, there's a tutorial

>> No.468316

>>468304
No, instances/arrays are absolutely more efficient than using texturing and material tricks to create a bunch of tiles. Instancing has almost no cost, because it simply places a single point at the location you want the instance, and then reads from the memory location of the original object. So you can have hundreds of thousands of instances without much impact on performance. A grid of 30x40 is nothing.

But if you want more texture variation across the ceiling, then procedural texturing is the way to go for that.

>> No.468320

>>468016
I was going to say why not just use the "g" hotkey to repeat land function, then checked the maya lt hotkeys http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya-lt/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/MayaLT/files/Basics-Tools-View-hotkeys-htm.html
Is maya LT intentionally gimped to hell? and if so is it to try and force users to buy the full version, or do they actually think maya lt users don't want or need more functionality?

>> No.468326

The hotkeys are still there.

I could do that but it is much slower than simply shift draging like in max, and also i would have to switch the manipulator from object to world every time.

Im hoping the full version of maya kept this function.

>> No.468327

Should I be looking at all these other software as a beginner this board has the 3ds, maya, blender but when I'm looking around trying to figure out which program I want to start with people say all kinds of things. Cinema4D, Sketchup,Cheetah3D, Nevercenter Silo, Carrara 8.5 Pro, Hexagon 2, Modo, Lightwave3d, Milkshape3D, Fragmotion, Ultimate Unwrap3D Pro.

jesus christ I'm leaning towards maya but do these other programs have positives that the three programs usually recommended don't have?

>> No.468328

>>468327
Maya and max are to 3D what Photoshop is to 2D. Blender is to them what Gimp is to Photoshop.

The others are either niche software that do their own thing well, like cinema does NURBS, sketchup is a dumbed down mesh sketching software etc.
Lightwave is a maya/max that was once glorious but died a long time ago but somehow lives on much like a undead lord, modo is the brave but attempt to ressurect it.
Basically If you pick maya max or blender you likely won't need any of them others.

>> No.468330

>>468328
>The others are either niche software that do their own thing well
Oh, except for milkshape3D it does everything badly, it's a dark creation from the depths of hell.
Back in the bad days you had to use it do edit like quake, half-life 1, counter-strike files etc. The experience can be described as a rape of your very soul.

>> No.468332

Which of the three(maya, max, blender) has the most learning resources?

>> No.468333

>>468332
Maya

>> No.468334

>>468332
All of them have everything covered. Max probably have most software specific content out there, but once you pass a certain level
it's irrelevant what software you use, it's the concepts you'll be interested in. Only while you're very new will it be interesting if something is software specific.

>> No.468340

>>468332
Maya by far. It has the most industry professional made video tutorials as well, so you can actually learn from people who were good enough to be successful for 10+ years working on high production value games and films, instead of basement dwelling kids who's scope of knowledge is how to make Blender merely function.

>> No.468353
File: 2.18 MB, 1619x1835, halp.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I can't seem to understand UV's....
I try to move and sew the UV's so the texture is continuous at the roots, but then this happens!

>> No.468354

>>468353
Looks like you haven't added seams, or they're poorly position. For a shape like that i would try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dahgVetfUZg

In the video where he selects a seam down the length of pipe you would select a seam down the length of the trunk as well as each individual root, and the 4 verts at the end of each root, then invert the selection and keep following.
When the UVs are laid out as squares, then you select them all and use unfold and relax to even them out to better fit the shape of your tree.
Then move the UVs along to hide the seams in dark areas of the texture.

>> No.468356

>>468248
If it fucks up on loops like that, bridge two faces only, then the rest.

>> No.468358

>>468356
sometimes maya doesn't like that either, in which case just extrude either loop in/out, select both edges, convert selection to verts and merge.

>> No.468367

I'm going to be learning with Maya 2013 will I have problems using tutorials for newer maya versions?

>> No.468368

>>468367
....dont go to school for this

>> No.468463

I'm stuck using 32 bit windows for a while I'm not sure what program I should learn since most have dropped 32bit versions so Maya 2013 or 3ds Max 2013?

>> No.468469

>>468463
Maya, go with the software that isn't going to be killed off within a few years. It's the most asked for software in the film/game industry aside from ZBrush.

>> No.468472

>>468469
will the lack of NEX modeling tool kit affect me much?

>> No.468481

>>468472
Is there a reason you can't go with a newer version of Maya? And I thought the NEX tools were integrated in 2013? But no, it won't affect you a lot. Quad draw is super handy for retopo, and the modeling symmetry is nice for some stuff, but you can always do symmetry with a proxy instead.

>> No.468483

>>468481
I cannot change to 64 bit OS for a while 2013 is the last version with support for 32 bit

>> No.468496

hi i come from /ic/

i'd just like to ask what 3d softwares were used here http://a.pomf.se/pfmrpb.webm
can zbrush do this stuff??

>> No.468497

>>468496
Maya or 3d studio max.

Zbrush is not part of that workflow, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

>> No.468498

>>468497
No shit, that's why they asked a question. What's the point of saying "you clearly have no idea what you're talking about."
As if you're the authority on the matter and are out to prove something.

>> No.468499

>>468497
sorry i'm fucking illiterate when it comes to 3d.
can you educate me a bit or give some links on the process where the illustrated backgrounds are planted to make it look three dimensional?

thanks

>> No.468500

>>468499

They're just hand drawn images, likely projected onto the surfaces they're on from the direction of the camera you're looking through as the viewer. The only reason they're on 3D models is to create more dimension with camera movements. Basically like parallax but suited to more camera motion than just moving left/right.

>> No.468502

O-okay... I know at least that much.
What I wanted to learn is how can I do that to backgrounds I drew myself, is there some sort of quick tutorial? Or is studying Maya from the ground up a better option...

>> No.468508
File: 43 KB, 830x484, prpblem.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I have this character in unity. He has glasses on and the material and texture should give the actual glasses a half trasparent look. But it seems that the Character Mesh is rendered in front of the glass material, so it looks fully transparent. I dont want that, I want the whole plane to be half transparent.

How do I fix this issue?

>> No.468509

>>468502
Yeh, learning Maya would be a good option, You'd probably find it to be more convenient in the long run to know how to make the basic shapes you want , how to arrange them into a scene like in that webm, set up your camera and how to animate its motion, how to use camera projection mapping to get the images on the shapes. and how to set up lighting if you wanted it, though lighting would be drawn into the images, and would probably be baked into the characters texture in most cases for anime.
I don't know of any software that would offer a quick solution to such a specific need.

>> No.468514

>>468509
>>468509
I'm not into 3d animation, all I want is to make my drawings cool like that. But you're right, learning Maya may be the best for artists nowadays.

Thanks anon.

>> No.468541

The question might have been asked an indefinite number of time, but I'd prefer to ask in a custom fashion...

I've been sculpting for a -long- time with zbrush to the point I'm now comfortable enough to do anything I have in mind with it. I've studied it's inner workings, it's behavior around dynameshes and all the good stuff, but I now hit an issue: I've been working for an educational license for a long time now simply because I never thought I could make any money with it. I'm now in a situation where I could actually do so but I do not have access to enough funds to purchase a legit professional license. As such, I've turned towards the Hell that is blender and watched a few workflow videos.

My question is: How close to suicide will I be if I try to adapt to Blender as it currently stands? I'm the classic 'old-school' 3dsmax+zbrush kinda girl, and as such have no idea what to expect from an environment I never set foot into...

>> No.468542

>>468541
If it can help in anything, I come from a videogame design & modelisation environment. I have no idea how well this will translate to custom sculptures for clients but zbrush made it workable enough...

>> No.468545

>>468541
Unless you're going to be bringing in considerable fat stacks of cash, just keep using your educational license.

If you are going to be bringing in considerable fat stacks of cash, either your employer should be paying for your license or your production team should already have licenses available.

Alternatively, use the fat stacks of cash you're making from the job to buy your own license.

Changing your workflow from ZBrush to Blender will have a considerable slowing effect on your workflow for the first few months, considering you have, at this point, mastered ZBrush. I would advice against switching at all if you can help it. Not because I dislike Blender, but because you already have software you're proficient in and work well in.

>> No.468546

>>468545
Actually I've been doing freelance art for a long time now with zbrush, but I never made a cent out of it due to me not wanting to step into the illegal aspect, hence no money. I'm deeply afraid that if I start making money with an educational/illegal license it will turn against me and ruin me even more.

Yeah, I just now downloaded Blender and gave it a spin. It's HORRIBLE, not even counting how awful it is to navigate in the environment as you sculpt. It's default box modeling package seems okay, but it's sculpting systems are painful, set aside the dyntopo feature which works nearly better than ZB's dynamesh thanks to the auto-update feature, but it's definitely not a saving grace.

>> No.468548

>>468546
Unless you're making considerable cash (>$20,000/yr) and culminating a fanbase from your sculpting work alone, Pixologic is probably not going to pay you any mind. They don't exactly have teams who go out and look for people who might be using their product outside of their Terms of Service.

I pirate all my software (Maya 2015, ZBrush 4R7, Photoshop, Substance Painter, etc) and don't really worry about it because any money I make off of my work is usually chump change.

>> No.468552

>>468546
When is the last time you heard of Pixologic taking a user to court? Never. Pixologic doesn't have the resources to go around suing individuals, this is a fact, nor would they really want to as it's bad publicity. The only time they do anything is if they manage to find out a whole studio is pirating their software, then it's worth it for them to take action.

You are 100% fine using ZBrush for paid work until you can actually afford the license. 99% of the time you're not even handing the employer a .ZTL file but a file that is independent of ZBrush.

So do what is going to help you out most in life, stick with ZBrush, there is literally nothing to worry about, this isn't the music industry.

>> No.468553

>>468552
>>468548
Alright, I guess I'm just worrying about sweet little nothing ain't I? Thanks for the advice guys, I needed that. Good day, everyone~

>> No.468580
File: 1.19 MB, 1844x1994, Untitled-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

what method would you suggest i use to texture this shoe? i'm ok at modeling, and a client wanted me to try and get as close as possible to the actual shoe. i don't have all that much texture experience though.

>> No.468587

>>468580

Method? Just texture it. Unwrap and go for it in either photoshop or your favorite 3d painter.

>> No.468594

>>468580
It doesn't really have much detail, so you could probably just bring it into zBrush, make an alpha of the dotted pattern along the sole, sculpt the stitching, bake AO/normals for those details.
Btw are you going to smooth that mesh? the corners on the straps looks way too sharp, and the curves over the tongue don't have enough divisions.

>> No.468625

Do you guys use mouse or drawing tablet?

>> No.468627

>>468625

Depends on the task. If I need pressure sensitivity then always tablet. If I'm just masking/defining hard surface normals or other tasks I'll just stick to my mouse.

>> No.468628

>>468627
This, only time a tablet is better for me is for pressure and natural brush strokes.

>> No.468656

What are your thoughts about buying a gaming mouse for doing 3D. It has many buttons, which is good, but I'm not sure if a specialized gaming mouse (thinking about A4 Bloody V3M now) is a good choice.

>> No.468659

>>468656
Any fucking mouse will do. I doubt a lot of people have custom hotkeys on their mouse tbh. A lot of it is just knowing hotkeys. Just get whatever mouse you want and learn hotkeys.

>> No.468681

>>468320
>Is maya LT intentionally gimped to hell?

Yes.

>and if so is it to try and force users to buy the full version, or do they actually think maya lt users don't want or need more functionality?

It's honestly for people that don't have the money to buy the full version. They still want their money, so Autodesk made a package just for them. It's the ghetto Maya.

>> No.468684
File: 47 KB, 679x478, 1418770674233.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>468320
Pirate full-version Maya, produce everything in that. If anyone asks, show them your Maya LT license.

It's foolproof.

>> No.468699

>>468684
Unless you have a feature that maya LT doesn't include i.e nCloth.

>> No.468710

>>468508
I fixed it. I combined everything but the actual glasses (without the frame) and gave them a separate material. that worked

>> No.468711

Could somebody with Blender do me a favour and download "Kemono avatar mesh dummy" from this page:
utilizator404.wordpress.com/downloads/
and export it as a .obj , and upload it somewhere, please?

>> No.468714

>>468711
here you go
https://www.mediafire.com/?1w10l5gd55n8vvd

>> No.468718

>>468714
Man that's the wrong one D: I'm after the kemono one, second down, thanks though

>> No.468722

>>467718
please im begging for help, i've sculpted a char head to toe and I've subdivided 6 times and its at 2mil polys on zbrush

my problem is I can do detail on the face like teeth unless i subdivide more, but im sure this is wrong people say if you are at over 2 mil polys on zbrush you are doing something wrong

>> No.468724

My bad, here's the one.
There were 2 blend files in there so I put the 2 objs into a rar.

https://www.mediafire.com/?26m4liysikr6d9h

>> No.468725

>>468724
>>468718
I forgot to quote...

>> No.468729

>>468722
Does it have to be a single mesh? Can't you model the jaw and teeth in it separately?

>> No.468730

>>468724
>>468725

Perfect, thanks again.

>> No.468731

>>468729
so a seperate subtool?

>> No.468732

>>468729
This might be my problem actually it's why I cant add detail all over right?

Is this why things are done in small parts or segments in zbrush?

I'm still learning but I guess this is the biggest lesson for me so far

>> No.468733

>>467793
Yes, every vert is influenced by some bone or bones, totaling 100% influence. If you decrease influence from one bone it had to be made up for somewhere else, of course. With the simple tools like the abs value box or the envelopes, max tries to help with the redistribution. You're supposed to manage this stuff with the other tools like the weight table, but I prefer the toolbox that comes from the wrench icon. forget what it's called.

>> No.468735

>>467991
You'll be spending more time memorizing blender keyboard shortcuts that actually learning transferable 3d skills if you use blender

>> No.468782

>>468722
> people say if you are at over 2 mil polys on zbrush you are doing something wrong
Bullshit. Nobody every says that. In fact, if you're NOT going over 2m polys on a sculpt, you're doing something wrong. Over 2m is nothing for ZBrush, I regularly sculpt on 10m+ meshes. ZBrush 64bit can even handle up to 100m if you have a good enough CPU.

The problem is that you're not being smart about your model. Why would you sculpt teeth in? Think about your own teeth, are they actually a part of your flesh, or are they simply covered by flesh? The answer is that they are simply covered, so why wouldn't you just make a tooth object and duplicate it a bunch and move it? You get super clean results then that are easily adjusted.

Dividing again 8m polys shouldn't be a huge issue unless you're using a potato computer.

>>468732
>Is this why things are done in small parts or segments in zbrush?
No, because ZBrush can handle extremely high polycounts, much higher than any other software. It's done because it's the smart thing to do, because it gives you more control over the mesh.

Learn to use ZRemesher to get a more efficient base mesh once you have all the main forms sculpted out (make a duplicate and Subtool>ProjectAll your details back from the original sculpt to the ZRemeshed one), it will subdivide better than a dynamesh.

>> No.468807
File: 1.05 MB, 1920x1048, Maya2015_OBJ_import_issue.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Got this OBJ file someone handed me to do animations on. For some reason it will import fine into ZBrush, but won't import into Maya 2015 at all. Just nothing shows up in the viewport or outliner once I hit the Import button.

Can't seem to find a reason why. Any ideas?

>> No.468808

>>468807
Have you tried exporting it from zbrush as an OBJ and importing it into Maya?

>> No.468810

>>468808
No, but I'd rather find out why Maya isn't liking this OBJ first.

>> No.468812

>>468810
Hard to say without being able to look at the file ourselves. Open it up in a text editor and compare it to an OBJ that loads fine in Maya to see what the differences are. Usually they will be at the start of the file. OBJ is a plaintext format.

>> No.468815
File: 239 KB, 1920x1007, obj.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>468812
Maya gives the error:
>// Error: line 0: Error reading file.

When trying to import it.

>> No.468816

>>468815
Don't see an issue with the start of the file, except maybe a missing material name. Below where it says mtllib, write "g default", without quotes.

Also, try comparing the structure of the whole file to another OBJ. Like the layout of each of the major sections and if they look any different. That OBJ file was exported with a hella old exporter.

>> No.468817

>>468816
Looked in the Script Editor; Maya is saying
>// Error: line 0: OBJ file line 4129: index out of range for face creation. //

On a looooot of lines. I could edit the points manually, but fuck that.

I guess I'll go back to the guy who gave me the file and let him know it's not going to work in Maya unless he fixes some of the geometry or changes his OBJ export settings.

>> No.468821

>>468817
Uh, why not just do what others said and import to ZBrush then export it back out to OBJ? Or hell, just click GoZ in ZBrush to send it directly to Maya...

>> No.468836

>>468821
I ended up fixing the overlapping geometry and retopologizing it in ZBrush and exporting it as an OBJ.

>> No.469031
File: 545 KB, 859x976, wtfguise.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>467718
Can someone explain why V-Ray RT can't render the ground?

>> No.469033

>>469031
Ignore the red warning text.
>I have since then enabled GI, same result still.

>> No.469035
File: 450 KB, 1288x729, wtfguise.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>469031
Weirdly enough, regular plane (standard primitives) is visible.

>> No.469050

>>469031
I don't use VRay, but v-ray plane sounds like a matte painting effect, where you create a plane that only renders shadows so that you can make your renders look like they are sitting on the background image, among other things.

Also, make sure you're always using VRay materials for all your stuff, not Maya/Max native materials.

>> No.469054

>>469050
Yeah, I used Vray standard mtl for the vray plane.
It had a yellow diffuse colour (I later changed it to pink-ish purple and applied it to a regular plane, as seen in the third screenshot (second posted)).

So it's really the Vray plane that Vray RT had a problem with (it appears).

>> No.469151

Does anyone know why hdri lighting would not light my scene. I'm in vp 2.0, the hdri shows up on it's projection object in vp, and the lighting works in renders, but my scene objects are black in vp.

>> No.469152

>>469151
Because VP2.0 does not equal Mentalray...
Viewport 2.0 is a rasterizer, it's a game-engine environment. Mentalray is a raytracer, it's not real-time. In your render settings, you have it set to mentalray, so any options in there have no effect on VP2.0.

If you want environment based lighting within VP2.0, you probably need to use cube mapping or something that is real-time. VP2.0 supports GLSL and HLSL shaders.

>> No.469208

Is MODO legit?

>> No.469224

>>469208

Simple answer: Yes.

I learned on Maya, and have tried many different packages. I still use Maya from time to time, depending on the format my clients hand me files in. Modo is by far my favorite though, and when the option is available, I always choose Modo.

>> No.469232
File: 788 KB, 1398x1080, Untitled-2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Okay, so i want to create a dynamic hair system for my character.
She has this thing holding the spiked ends of her hair and yet has some hair going over the face.
What i tried was to use Xgen to generate the hair and then use the Clump modification to make the spikes, and then make it dynamic with nhair.
The problem is i still don't know how to make that hair accessory and she gets this weird bold spot (but i think i just need to add more hair Guides to fix that).
I'm open to suggestions as to how to do this and maybe just general tips and tricks to hair.
If i can't get it to work the way i want i guess i'll just block model it and animate it with IK rigs.

>> No.469233
File: 53 KB, 1024x1024, tt.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm lazy and I like to download my 3d models from TF3DM but when I download it I get a bunch of weird looking textures. I can recognize defuse map and normal map but weird stuff like darker defuse map labeled with S and green stuff labeled M I dont get. What is all this shit?

>> No.469242

In ZBrush, is there a way to mask a selection of a mesh and then hide what is not masked?

>> No.469245

>>469242
Tools -> visibility -> HidePt

This hides everything that isn't masked.

>> No.469248

Is there a way to render without a background in keyshot, or does a different rendering program support it?
I know I can use the alpha channel but that doesn't remove edges, and when I render semitransparent objects they aren't actually semitransparent, just a 100% opacity of how keyshot visualizes it against whatever background there is in place.
What I would like is a program that renders a 20% semi-transparent object as an actual 20% opacity in photoshop.

>> No.469251

>>469248
well, not 20% in photoshop, just transparent as in a png file. I just want to be able to put things behind renderings of semitransparent materials and have it actually show up.

>> No.469257

>>469245
Thanks. This will come in handy.

>> No.469263

>>469251
>>469248
Yes. In your Environment tab in Keyshot, change the Background setting to "Backplate Image", then just choose the image you want to be rendered behind those objects. This image will not affect your lighting, the lighting will still be controlled by the HDR you have added at the top of your settings.

Unfortunately Keyshot is a pretty basic-bitch renderer, so you won't get semi-transparent renders out of it.

>> No.469268

3d newfig here.

I'm using a mac and I want to try modeling/sculpting.
So far I've tried Maya. I didn't like it, it's not build for sculpting
Also zbrush. I liked this but there's a known problem with the mac version of zbrush which causes overheating.

Basically what 3d sculpting program would you recommend for a mac?

>> No.469278

>>469268
>problem with the mac version of zbrush which causes overheating
That's not a problem with ZBrush, that's a problem with shitty minimalism > performance ideology of Apple. It just doesn't have adequate cooling for an application that truly uses 100% load.
Best advice, get rid of that stupid fucking Mac and get a real computer that is actually compatible with the plethora of 3D software out there. There's no reason to be using a Mac these days.

Use ZBrush 4R7 on Mac, there's no better sculpting tool.

>> No.469284

>>469268
>Also zbrush. I liked this but there's a known problem with the mac version of zbrush which causes overheating.
WHOA

Okay give me the details on this cause I've noticed my fucking CPU spiking to 100% and my temps going absolutely bonkers on my hackintosh when i do the smallest things in zbrush.

>> No.469285

>>469268
>So far I've tried Maya. I didn't like it, it's not build for sculpting

Wait for Maya 2016. They added Mudbox sculpting.

>> No.469287

>>469268

If you want the best sculpting in the industry?

Get a PC and use Zbrush.

>> No.469309
File: 1.49 MB, 1920x1018, rig_FBX_export_issue.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm trying to export this mesh and rig I just made in Maya 2015 as an FBX so I can hand it off to a guy to import into Unity.

I keep getting this error upon exporting the FBX.

>The plug-in has found the following skin definition problems :
Unable to find the bind pose for : / anim_global01. Use the DAG node current transform.

And if I import the .FBX back into Maya 2015, the rig doesn't work at all. None of the controls do anything.

Not entirely sure why this is happening.

>> No.469319

>>469309
Try exporting the scene instead of exporting selection.

>> No.469320

>>469319
But I don't think Unity can just import .MA or .MB scene files from Maya.

>> No.469323
File: 348 KB, 1320x609, 2015-03-31_00h50_38.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do I make it so that my quads are actually quads? When I import my mesh into substance painter everything looks triangulated. No, I did not export my object as triangles. The problems are in the quads themselves, most of them are twisted. How do I change this? Im using 3dsmax

>> No.469324
File: 293 KB, 1914x602, 2015-03-31_00h50_33.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>469323
Sorry wrong pic

>> No.469331

>>469324
model them as uniform quads. Wtf kind of a question is that?

>> No.469333

>>469320
It totally can. Don't even export it, load it as an asset when using Unity.

>> No.469353

>>469320
That's not what I meant. When you go to File, simply choose Export, not Export Selection... And still use FBX.

But Maya can export directly to Unity... so if your employer or whatever has Maya, they can just do that.

>> No.469366

>>469331
>>469331
Yes but, 1- how do i do that
And 2- how to i fix it at this stage

>> No.469384

>>468248
bridge all but 2 edges, then Fill Hole

>> No.469385

>>469366
Nonplanar quads are triangles.

You fix it via manual triangulation where needed. Always triangulate before baking normals to avoid inconsistencies between your intended split direction and the automatically calculated one.

>> No.469386

>>469385
I mean, all quads are actually made of 2 triangles, it's just that nonplanar quads make this more apparent.
You can split a quad in one of 2 directions, that's why you need to do it manually sometimes, to achieve the intended shading

>> No.469387

>>469353
Hm, when I do that, I still get the error when exporting, but when I import the FBX back into Maya, the rig at least still (mostly) works. My extra attributes for foot roll and fingers don't seem to work, though.

Any ideas?

>> No.469397
File: 171 KB, 218x218, 1419078907697.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

why u have max? It's literally prohibatively expensive

Torrent where?

>> No.469412

If I have a bunch of UV shells on Maya, can I automatically stack them all on top of each other?

>> No.469414

Hey, anybody have that "How to make a cube.gif" where a guy makes a cube from a teapot?

>> No.469419
File: 67 KB, 914x1041, weld.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do I weld objects in ZBrush? Pic related as just an example. I have a complex organic mesh that I just wish to weld together without affecting the density, topology, etc.

>> No.469420

>>469397
You can download 3ds Max for free on Autodesk's website. You don't need real student credentials. Also $130 a month isn't expensive. I pay about that much for cable/internet.

>> No.469422

>>469419

Stick spots together, dynamesh, cleanup, repeat

>> No.469424

>>469422
I should have done this earlier but I'm already too far into my sculpting to dynamesh. Are there other alternatives?

>> No.469430

Somebody please help me out over here >>>469429

>> No.469431
File: 71 KB, 735x769, suit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

do i color models with mask?

>> No.469435
File: 1.63 MB, 1288x704, CCbrigde1.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How am i dong so far?
2 days of reasonably frequent modeling.

>> No.469436

>>469435
Looks nice. Although the extrusion galore is hurting it.

>> No.469437

>>469436
Thanks!
Yeah i always have a weird process with scifi elements.
One one hand all elements have to be pretty much chock full of 45 degree angles, but on the other hand it's kinda hard to make that work and have good looking objects, so i end up boolean substracting similar objects out of the main object to make it look better.

>> No.469438

>>469437
I sure hope you clean those meshes after boolean.

>> No.469441
File: 107 KB, 1028x814, mouth.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can improve my modeling in positions like this?

To mold a decent looking mouth and pair of lips, I had to create all of these additional horizontal loop-cuts that band around the head of the model. It gets really nasty looking and it's hard for me to model the jaw and back of the head because I have to align all of these vertices. I have found the "Smooth Vertex" command to be very helpful in these situations, but I think I would be better off if I could avoid getting into this mess altogether.

I prefer to keep shit low poly and letting the subdivision surface modifier smooth it all out for me.

>> No.469450

>>469387
Sounds like an improperly made rig then, I'm not much of a rigger though so I wouldn't be able to help with it. You could try Delete All by>Non-deformer history. Doubt it will fix the problem though.

>> No.469452

>>469424
There's a Weld Points function in your Geometry palette.

But if you're already so far into your sculpting that you're using a ZRemeshed base or retopo, then a better option would probably be to just position the subtool where you want it to be on the other mesh, then go to the lowest subdivision level on your main sculpt, select your ZModeler brush, and extrude out some geometry to cover the placed subtool. Then just do a Project All at each subdivision level to get it to conform to the object you wanted to integrate.

>> No.469494

>>469441
if you use blender it might not be suitable for adding detail

you might get smooth features but complex geomatry also depends on your amount of polygons

>> No.469495

>>469494
It's just basic modelling, i don't see what Blender has to do with poor edgeflow.

>> No.469496

>>469441
google "head topology", you're doing everything wrong.

>> No.469497

>>469496
Don't even need to, it's already in here >>248019

>> No.469528

Where can i crack poser/daz content? I just want to make sexy women and play around with them

>> No.469603

>>468327
>people say all kinds of things

They certainly do, don't they?

Maya and Max are the top of the heap these days, as >>468328 said. Modo is honestly just as capable as either of them, but has a much lower level of industry adoption (outside of product visualization, where it is currently king).

Bottom line: learn Maya as a first 3d package (just because it has the most documentation and learning resources), then branch out to the others. if you want to experiment.

>> No.469612
File: 12 KB, 212x388, green.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When I load this model I get green faces?

What is causing this? How do I fix this?

>> No.469760
File: 950 KB, 500x275, 1416176199620.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Simple question here.

I was trying to learn Max here the other day, I was following some book Max essentials or whatever.

Read through intro,- time to set up scenes,- explains the whole planes thing for the ref photos etc
Explanation is simple and elaborate, literally should be idiot proof

And I can't. Fucking. Do it. I literally couldn't set up the ref planes along the right coordinates even though I followed instructions to the dot.

How should I learn Max? I am in fact not mentally handicapped as far as I am aware

>> No.469761
File: 34 KB, 960x540, murasama_wip.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I need a bit of help with a little project of mine.

I've got a 3D printer with dual extruders and decided I'd make a replica murasama HF sword to print with it.

Now I've found the original 3D file for the sword from the game, but I want it a bit more HD so I'm remaking it from scratch, using the original art and model as reference.

And I've come across a hurdle that I just can't figure out how to fix. When I'm doing the handle, I want to cut the white shape out of the black part of the handle, and bevel the edges. Because I want to make it a 3D print I need to keep the shell of the black part and the inner grey tube seperate. Now this wouldn't so much be an issue if I didn't need to somehow bevel the edges of the black part. I've been breaking my head over this for two days now, because no matter what I do the boolean function in blender gives a messy result and the bevel modifier isn't cooperating. All I can imagine to do instead is to use inset and a LOT of manual labor to get the form I want.

Does anyone have some insights on how I can get the result I want a bit easier?

>> No.469764
File: 74 KB, 457x455, Untitled-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i need someone to do polypainting

>> No.469765

>>469760
use videos instead

sometimes they skip a detail in manuals

>> No.469770

>>469761
>a LOT of manual labor
This is how stuff is done, automated tools will often give unwanted results and if you want something perfect you gotta do it yourself.
I don't even use the bevel modifier in Blender, I put my control edge loops where I want them.

>> No.469772

>>469764
Is this a joke? This model is not good enough for polypainting, work on your sculpting skills for a few more months at least.

>> No.469774

>>469772
well its obviously not how its gonna look

>> No.469795

>>469774
How is it "obvious"? The way you're creating your forms looks very amateur, I have little doubt that your final mesh won't look all that great either...

>> No.469796

>>469795
well it was a rush i admit i just wanted to test some guy hair techinque just to get the grip of it

but now i understand ill have to get a model done beforehand

>> No.469809

Hi /3/
I'm just wondering, i want to be itnermediate at 3D modeling, and maybe some slight animation for now. I have Maya, the educational version. I have a lot going on right now, i'm learning a programming language, learning to draw, and finally want to learn 3D modelling and animation. Because i really want to learn all these, i can't devote all my time on 1 thing. And another reason is that have limited time a day, cause of school and work, and i usually try to draw for minimum 30 min, so this means even less time for 3D modelling. Fortunately I feel that i'm getting better and better at programming, so i can slice some time off from that and put it into 3D. So my point is that i don't have the time and need to devote myself 100% to learning 3D modelling.

So, anyway my blog post aside. I just want to ask a very noobish question. Since you probably skipped everything i wrote before, i want to say that i have various goals that i feel very passionate about. Because i don't have time to devote myself to learning this one thing, I thinking about changing my learning strategy. If i had the timeI would choose to thoroughly use tutorials to learn 3D modelling. But i'm thinking instead that i should just learn by playing around in Maya.
What do you guys think? Is it a good idea?
Also sorry for long post, it's over midnight over here, and i'm deadbeat tired but don't wanna sleep, cause i don't wanna go to work tomorrow..

>> No.469816

>>469809
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129938

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132146

Do these.

>> No.469823

>>469816
Holy shit, are these in the sticky? Why aren't they in the sticky? They should be in the sticky.

>> No.469879

Anyone here happens to remember the old MMO Granado Espada?

Do you know how to extract and rig the models for it? I remember seeing someone do it in a forum post long ago, but it's lost to the sands of the Internet now.

>> No.469894
File: 609 KB, 1914x1121, fuckyourcpvsets.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think i might be going full retard /3/. I'm following this:

** Create color sets. For more information, see Polygon color sets in the Polygonal Modeling guide.
Create a mentalrayVertexColors node. For more information, see Create a node.
In the Connection Editor, load the shape node that contains the color set you want to use into the Outputs column. For more information, see Connection Editor.
Load the mentalrayVertexColors node into the Inputs column of the Connection Editor.
Connect the output of the color set (colorSet[n].colorName) to the cpvSets input on the mentalrayVertexColors node.
Make connections from the mentalrayVertexColors node out color to the input nodes of a shader, as necessary. For more information, see About shading networks. **

(couldn't post a fucking url)

pic related, i have a MentalRayVertexColor node, i created a cpv set in the attribute editor by clicking "add new item"
I load my meshes shape node in the CE aas the output and am supposed to input to the cpvset, but it doesn't fucking show up in the CE.
Can someone quickly try those same steps and tell me if you see the cpvSet attribute in the CE, and can input to it?

>> No.469929

how long would it take to create something like Zeus from Dota2?

>> No.469943

Hi /3/, just installed Maya 2015 because i heard that it had the most documentation online. Right now i'm trying to find a simple tutorial to get me started but nothing is fucking free. Anyone can point me to FREE beginner tutorials for Maya. Assume that i'm a complete noob, who just only got interested in 3D.

>> No.469944

>>469943
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAcQK217YvE

>> No.470005

Does anyone have experience making items for dota2? is it worth even trying? does it pay well if you make a popular item? Will i have to supply the source files, i.e a Maya file? because i'm running a student edition of Maya and a crack of photoshop cs6.

>> No.470009

>>467980

This.

I learned modelling in 3DSMax, switched to blender so I could sell some work since I couldn't afford a max license, then a company that liked my work offered me a job that required me to learn Maya.

When you actually know how to model, all programs are the same once you understand the interface. Going from Blender to Maya isn't that hard if you were using the dynamic spacebar addon in Blender. Just pretend that Mayas Radial menu is the same thing as dynamic spacebar, spend 45 minutes fooling around modelling some random shit like a hammer and memorize where everything is. It is not fucking hard at all. I seriously question the skill of people who hate blender so much for reasons as dumb as "hurr durr interface is too different hurrrrrr".

gitgud

>> No.470010

>>470005
>is it worth trying
if you are good
if you do it for the money you need to be good aswell

the arcanas for example are only made by valve since they have really nice animations and effects, if you can get this kind of detail into an item then im assuming it will pay off

>> No.470011

>>470010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiuRyb8gAvs

this is an example of something that valve made,of course not every item has to be animated but its a bonus

>> No.470015

>>470005
No. You import a FBX file into the Dota 2 client, no Maya scene files needed. Your textures and FBX file get sent to Valve, as well as a compiled source model created by the client.

Yes, if you manage to get one set in the game, you're set for money for many months, especially if it's something really popular like Pudge, but there's immense competition over a hero like that. And in general there is a tonne of competition now. So unless you're basically an experienced industry professional, you don't have much chance now, too many studio folk are making Dota 2 items on the side now because of those Polycount fuckers and their constant Dota 2 contests.

>> No.470017

>>470015
I'm not too concerned with not being an industry pro. I'm fairly confident i can make something equivalent to a few items i've seen, given a bit of time and practice working within the dota2 style/limitations.

the character downloads available come with a maya file, which fails to load the shaers; not a big issue, but also seems to place attached items like weapons in arbitrary locations. Most, by default, are at the local origin, i.e 0,0,0 between the feet, but then some will be off set a bit and at weird angles.

Looking at that video of the crystal maiden arcana, does she already have wings, which would have bones already in location to animate that movement? because from what i've read you need to skin custom items to existing joints.

If not dota2, are there many other games that support player workshops in the same way that would have less competition? I'm not exactly looking to support myself from this, just get some practical experience.

>> No.470018

>>470017
CSGO is excellent.

if your about making singular items and not item sets they have to be better than most wands/wards that comes with the sets.

CSGO is mostly about skinning,you also have mapping which can cash in pretty big bucks if you can can selected for a chest but im talking about levels like those:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oy7c3XOlD4

>> No.470019

>>470017
Most of the crappier items you see in the game are from earlier days, or got in because of Tournaments, where Valve seems to care less, unfortunately.

The shader doesn't load because Valve won't release the internal cgFX shader they use in Maya. I don't know why the fuck they don't, but that's the reality of it. You can find a community made one on Polycount that matches in-game pretty well and allows you to see your Mask1/2 textures in Maya.

The weapons and stuff are at locations like that to keep the scene more workable, it's like that for pretty much any game. You don't want the bone for weapons to have a vertical angle set to it, or else it makes physics harder.

Yes, you can only skin to the bones that exist in the model downloaded, cannot add your own. You can however created custom animations for the sets if you wish.

>> No.470020

>>470018
CS:GO is even worse actually, because the release rate for items in that game is very tiny compared to Dota 2. We're talking a crate with a little over a dozen items every quarter year or so in CSGO at best. Dota 2 it's an constant stream of sets, couriers, wards, loading screens and all kinds of other stuff. There's over 110 heroes for stuff to be released for.

>> No.470081
File: 33 KB, 559x454, straigten.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hi I want to smoothly move some of the vertices

http://edgesize.com/forum/tip.jpg

I'm trying to get the second part of the thing done. If I was using modo I would set a line fallouff and just move the vertices up.

But, there is no fall offs in maya lt 2016. How the fuck do I do this?

>> No.470082

>>470081
press b for soft select, if that doesn't work in LT, check the animation menu set, create deformer > lattice deformer

>> No.470087

Just starting out with Blender and I'm using a reference image of an egg for Easter. The object I'm using is a UV Sphere. I know how to increase the size but how to I stretch the object? What modifier should I use?

>> No.470088

>>470087

Please watch tutorials if you are asking how to stretch an object.

>> No.470090

>>470088
The only one I could find had no sound and the uploader was doing everything quickly without explaining a single thing. I got lost halfway.

>> No.470093

>>470090

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxCy4tOrCqw

I agree that a lot of blender tutorials are bad. But, you can find some good ones.

>> No.470119

>>470090
It's easy to get lost because using blender = memorizing nonsensical keyboard shortcuts just to model a basic thing. Just mesh model in a normal program, where things make sense.
Max: drag box around points you want to move. Press the move button. Drag the arrow and you have moved it in a straight line.
Blender: durr press S to enter select mode then alt+shift+ right click on the points, then press ctrl+alt+R to restrain an axis, press Z for the Z axis, then click to start moving the points with your mouse, then right click to apply changes, and you have moved it in a straight line.

>> No.470131
File: 276 KB, 1062x1387, fordummies.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>470087
There are a ton of ways to do this in blender.

The Max way: Select the scale manipulator (pic related) and drag the blue handle to scale along z-axis.

The blender way: S to scale, followed by z to lock on z-axis. Click to confirm.

Using proportional editing: Enable proportional editing (pic related). Select the top vertice and drag it upwards. Scroll to increase/decrease area of effect.

>>470119
And just for your ignorance, blender has the move/scale/rotate manipulators and they work exactly like in Max.
There are just faster alternatives available in blender, that's all there is to it.

>> No.470133

I know how to use maya (5 years)

But i have been getting into the modeling aspect of it and watching some tutorials and 3dsMax seems to be better for this task at the moment.

Do you guys think it would be worth it to learn how to use it now? I keep hearing maya is the one being pushed by autodesk and it would suck if 3dsmax goes the way of xsi just as I get the hang of it.

>> No.470142

>>470119
Holy shit you couldn't be more ignorant. I was going to correct your misconceptions about Blender but there's no point in discussing with the clinically retarded.

>> No.470156

>>470142
>blah blah blah I learned Blender first and don't understand how much better things actually are in other software because I've never been willing to put in the time to learn them

>> No.470159

>>470133
Only /3/ has yet to let go of that rumor
Try max and see how it's different

>> No.470161

>>470156
Again, your ignorance is showing. I have switched to Maya, but I still recognize that some of Blender's tools can be faster, and if not, they're at least easier to learn.

>> No.470165

>>470131
Max way is easier to learn hands down. Admit you are full of fanboy

>> No.470172
File: 20 KB, 600x338, opinions7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>470119
>Max: drag box around points you want to move. Press the move button. Drag the arrow and you have moved it in a straight line.
>Blender: durr press S to enter select mode then alt+shift+ right click on the points, then press ctrl+alt+R to restrain an axis, press Z for the Z axis, then click to start moving the points with your mouse, then right click to apply changes, and you have moved it in a straight line.

What the fuck am I reading.
The method to move vertices is exactly the same in Blender and Max. In Max the default multi select is a box and in Blender it's a lasso. Both Max and Blender use a manipulator widget. You don't have to press S to select things. Pressing Alt and shift at the same time will select multiple edgeloops, just draw your lasso. Blender automatically restrains axis based on the widget and your viewport, Max has an additional box in the widget to restrain axis. There is almost no difference.

It's clear that you do not understand the UI of either program, yet seem to think that you know enough to comment. Troll or complete retard, I cannot tell.

>> No.470173

>>470165
Perhaps. But blender has a better featureset for faster workflow for the advanced user.

>> No.470174

>>470172
>Maya
>multi-comp selection mode
>Select or drag select verts/edges/faces, hit W, move freely in space or on constrained axis depending on where you click on the manipulator.

You guys really have it hard, yeesh.

>> No.470176

How the fuck do you bake in maya?

It says turtle isn't registered. Wtf do you even do Maya 2016 is new and I can't find a decent tutorial on this.

>> No.470177

>>470174
>blender
>multi-comp selection mode
>multi-manipulator
>the one setting to rule them all
Not impressed

>> No.470178
File: 788 KB, 474x378, 3a0d131f10ac04c78ea7d1e4b8141621.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>470177
That's literally the same thing as I said, except Blender doesn't have it that simple and you know it :)

>> No.470180
File: 713 KB, 576x434, 2015-04-06_01-40-58.webmhd.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>470178
You're talking out your ass again, anon.
Also I'd like to see that multi manipulator of yours.

>> No.470193

>>470180
#rekt

>> No.470195
File: 2.93 MB, 940x720, blahblah.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>470180
And you didn't press a single key during that? Because I didn't.

Nor did I during this one. (except to rotate my view obviously)

>> No.470196

>>470195
Also, the ring around the manipulator is a rotate function as well, forgot to use it.

>> No.470204

>>470195
What's the problem wih pessing keys? If you're disabled ou shouldn't be modeling anything.
Also, it's not like he pressed any unconfortably weird and long combination of keys, which seems to be a misconception around people that don't know Blender. Alt to select loops (faces, edges, or vertices, it doesn't matter), C for circle select, B for box select, it's all pretty straightforward.

>> No.470207
File: 100 KB, 800x466, 843384e2e6205d9f01b2c634c87a40a9.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>470204
The less keys needing to be pressed the more fluid the software interaction, and then you can also focus on hotkeys for other things. Like others were saying, Blender is highly dependent on you using hotkeys for every fucking thing, which is very bad. I only have to double click an edge to ring select, double-click the next face over to face-loop select, and same for vertices. Box select is always capable if you just click down in empty space.

>> No.470209

I am a complete beginner and know nothing about this, however I want to learn.

I downloaded Autodesk Maya but I dont have any clue on what to do. So what are some good sources to learn the basics and beyond?

Or whats the preferred 3d program for beginners?

Thanks guys

>> No.470210

>>470207
>using hotkeys for every fucking thing, which is very bad
>hotkeys
>bad

oh boy another hotkeys vs gestures faggotry debate. How bout you learn more that one program and stop being a fanboy.

>> No.470212

>>470210
It's not a hotkeys vs gestures debates, it's about efficiency and BALANCE. Having a good blend between interaction based operations and hotkey based. Blender is almost entirely hotkey based, whereas Maya has a very nice balance.

>>470209
Maya is friendly to beginners. You can find lots of introduction to Maya videos on Youtube, or better tutorials on CGPeers.

>> No.470214

>>470212

Well I was told that Blender was a better choice for beginners, however, I have no idea about why?

>> No.470215

>>470212
>It's not a hotkeys vs gestures debates, it's about efficiency and BALANCE

This is literally what every dumbfuck who argues over gestures/hotkeys/graphical clicks says.

hurr muh efficiency.

hurr muh intuition.

hurr easier.

No.

Your preferred method is easier for YOU because it is what YOU are used to. I've worked with many freelancers using different packages on the same project many times and the speed/quality always comes down to the user and not any one program.

stop fanboying.

>> No.470226

>>470161
I found nothing hard to learn in Maya and i'm not especially intelligent. You'd have to be quite dull to actually find it difficult to learn or use anything in Maya.

>> No.470229

>>470214
Because there are trolls on this board who think Blender should be used simply because it's free. But Maya is free to people learning it and there is much more documentation and tutorials around it, immensely more. The interface is also a lot more organized, and it is the most used software apart from ZBrush in the Games and Film industry.

>> No.470240

>>470226
>i am unintelligent and therefore maya is better.

>>470229
>maya is free
>much more documentation
>immensely more
>a lot more organized
>most used software
>muh industry standard
You a salesman, anon?

>> No.470243

>>470240
Why are you so butthurt that people won't be convinced Blender is better, just because you favour it? Why do you keep going on about it?

>>maya is free

>You a salesman, anon?

>fucking retard

>> No.470244

>>470229
Autodesk 3D packages share a common trait. They all still use the same interface they did pre-2000. They've just been cramming more and more buttons into it ever since. But Autodesk users see this as "neatly organized" because they've been gradually exposed to it over a longer period of time and are now completely unable to identify an organized UI if it hit them in the face.

Blender, on the other hand, has undergone several major UI lifts in the past, and is possibly facing another one soon. As it stands now, every part of a modelling pipeline is neatly packed into "editor types" which can be switched around with ease, and there's barely any vertical menu scrolling at all, along with complete obliteration of pop-up dialogs which take your focus away from the model.

And just to make everything clear to you Maya users; No, getting a new set of icons is not a major UI update.

>>470243
Don't act like you don't know that Maya has a free version only to get more paid subscriptions.

>> No.470246

>>470240
Nope, just spreading the truth dude, those are all facts.

>>470244
>Don't act like you don't know that Maya has a free version only to get more paid subscriptions.
And that's bad... why? They are a business, the fact they even do that is great. Yeah, fuck them for not requiring you to pirate or pay lots of money to learn their software.

And no, Maya's interface has changed quite a lot since its inception. And the introduction of the hotbox and radial quick menus are a much bigger workflow improver than any interface change could possibly be. There's only so much a UI layout can do for your user interaction. The fact that Blender has had to change shit up so much is only testament to the lack of forethought and experience behind the people working on that software.

I'll continue to actually support programmers with my money who do a good job, just like I do studios who make good games. You keep pretending we live in a moneyless utopia where everything should be free.

>> No.470247

>>470246
>theres only so much UI can do for user interaction.
Spot on. This is why blender has an intuitive hotkey for almost everything.

>The fact that Blender has had to change shit up so much is only testament to the lack of forethought and experience behind the people working on that software.
It's called innovation. First choice is rarely if ever the best.

>You keep pretending we live in a moneyless utopia where everything should be free.
Implying i don't support blender by donations.

Only difference is you pour your money into engineers and stock holders who develop what look best on the brochure, and I into artists and innovative programmers who develop what they need.

>> No.470255

>>470244
>Don't act like you don't know that Maya has a free version only to get more paid subscriptions.

That's a good thing. Blender is a good example of what happens when you don't have funding.
slow to release new updates, and when they are released they're sub-par, i.e Cycles renderer.

>back to hotkeys

In maya you can perform any operation, drag and drop the MEL for that operation to the shelf, and assign it to any hotkey you want in a few clicks.

Hot keys aren't a big deal, they aren't a selling point for Blender.

>> No.470259

>>470255
First part of your comment is straight up wrong. Blender gets updates weekly.
2.74 which I haven't even downloaded yet features cycles optimization, AO and DoF for the viewport, support for custom normals and much more.
Full list here: http://www.blender.org/features/2-74/

Cycles renderer is built-in and just like other built-in renderers such as Mental Ray it's rarely used for professional work.

And nobody is trying to 'sell' blender on hotkeys. I don't doubt any programs ability to assign hotkeys manually. It's just generally a nice thing that it ships with a perfect setup.

But now that we're talking about selling points, what exactly is the selling point for Maya? Which feature is it that you're thinking of when you get so upset about someone advertising Blender. I am actually interested in trying out Maya for game development some day. Try to be concrete and not just "its better" like the usual Maya fanboy, because we all know it's biased.

>> No.470263

>>470247
>Spot on. This is why blender has an intuitive hotkey for almost everything.
>hotkey
>intuitive

I don't think you know the meaning of the word "intuitive". Hotkeys are the exact opposite of something that is intuitive.

>>470259
>Cycles renderer is built-in and just like other built-in renderers such as Mental Ray it's rarely used for professional work.
Lmao, kid, Mentalray is used heavily in the industry, it has been around for quite some time and has solid footing in studios across the world.

>> No.470265

>>470263
Okay. You got me. Intuitive was the wrong word. Rational and consistent is what I meant.

Why on earth would you use Mentalray with Vray around.

>> No.470269

>>470265
lol, mental ray is far more accurate a renderer than vray. Vray just gets a rep by amateurs because it's easier and faster to set up decent renders than mental ray.

>> No.470275

>>470269
>it's hard to use therefore it's better
Keep telling yourself that, kid

>> No.470276

>>470265
>>470275
It's not kids telling themselves that, most kids don't even know what mentalray is. Mentalray is used in many feature films, Vray is almost never and there are good reasons for that. VRay is decent, but it's too simplified. Mentalray has a massive amount of capabilities and fine control over the rendering operation and results. Also, it renders hair better than V-Ray.

>> No.470280

>>470275
At no point did i say that. You keep taking what people say and creating a meaning that serves your own purpose.

>> No.470299
File: 128 KB, 930x573, wtfnext.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

WTF do I do next?

I generated this. However, I can't open the normal map in photoshop nor does it show up on the model.

>> No.470363

when i pick a color in zbrush in the gradient it colors my entire model automatically

how do i pick colors without coloring my entire model

>> No.470365

>>470363
Color>Fill Object so your model doesn't have null color. Fill it with a base color you want.
If you ever want it to go back to having null color, select the Flat Color material and do a fill.

>> No.470395

>>470365
dont do anything

it keep coloring my model including my subtools

>> No.470398

>>470365
nevermind dude i figured i need base color

thanks!

>> No.470404

>>470398
>>470395
Also, "RGB" needs to be on in your Brush setting for Fill Color to work. And M if you want to fill material.

>> No.470405

>>470299

Go read tutorials again. That normal map is also terrible.

>> No.470416

I need to make something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM5kDxClxoo

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLxNT3tblqI

The project needs to be a ship thats 'moving' in space, then the camera approaches to an hangar.

Question is, I know I can model the ship and all of its components in Maya, but how would I go about 'animating them' or adding movement to them, how would I simulate empty space like in the videos?

>> No.470420
File: 279 KB, 1920x1080, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey I'm very new to 3d modelling. I'm still learning but can someone explain how I can improve this work in process?

I think I need to learn how to start by grouping the different parts together and applying a normal map to all of them to make them look more detailed then they really are. How do I do that? And do you have any other suggestions on what to do next?

>> No.470436

>>470420
hey kid wanna ss?

>> No.470442
File: 259 KB, 1465x820, T52shadowpriestshoulders.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm trying to bake an ambient occlusion with Blender cycles but everytime I get dirty black patches like this. how do I fix this?

>> No.470469

Anyone else has a problem exporting animated meshes to fbx?
No matter what export settings i choose it doesn't store animation upon "export selection".
It does when using "export all" however, but that means all the rig nurbs and other shit gets in there as well.

>> No.470483

Is there something ptex-like that can be used for games? I have a fucked up uv layout, and as long as I understood well ptex cannot be used for game models.

>> No.470492

Can Blender be compared directly to commercial applications in terms of performance and features?

>> No.470520 [DELETED] 
File: 448 KB, 1800x1200, 1427343902874.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there a way I can animate a character in 3ds Max via bones and the Skin modifier while also changing the shape of the mesh using a different modifier? My characters needs to go from fat to skinny.

The Skin and Morpher modifiers don't work in conjunction. And due to the complex animation required, I can't use Morpher alone either.

>> No.470538

>>470436
I know how to do that but I don't know:

1.) How to apply modifiers to an whole bunch of similar objects at once

2.) I'm learning to make models for games, so I don't want everything I make to be super high poly count items, I think I should learn to do those normal map things to make them look more detailed then they actually are.

Any suggestions?

>> No.470539

>>470420

Your question makes no sense because you wouldn't normalmap something like that.

>>470492

Depends on if you consider ease of use a feature. Blender is capable of top tier work but at a higher learning curve. It has all ( in some cases even more ) the modelling features most commercial software has but at the cost of them being irrationally buried under tons of hotkey menus and python scripts. In Max or Maya the modelling features are all nicely graphically represented in the UI. Most people would be better of downloading mayas learning edition for free then migrating to blender if you want to be able to sell work.

So when it comes to 3D Software, pick two:

[ ] Free
[ ] Intuitive UI
[ ] commercially viable

>> No.470545

>>470539
>Your question makes no sense because you wouldn't normalmap something like that.
Hmm, maybe I was given bad information. I heard that normal-mapping was where you made a model super-high poly, then did something to apply the lighting to a much lower-poly model to make it look more detailed. So in other words I thought I could use it to make those beads on the necklace actually look like smooth pearls instead of D&D dice.

Evidently I have bad information. Do you have any suggestions for training videos? I'm currently using the ones by Tuffs university, but I'm still early on

>> No.470578
File: 38 KB, 638x355, smoothing.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>470545

The problem is your necklace has far too many polys to be considered low poly. A necklace on a game character shouldn't be higher than 2k tri and you have over 15k. Low poly work is largely carried by textures. You have a ton of polygon detail on that blue crystal for example when it really should just be a single raised inset face that you paint a crystal on.

In all honesty you need to watch more tutorials. You are making shitloads of basic mistakes. The most apparent of which is It seems to me like you don't understand how smoothing groups work. Your entire model is shaded flat when those spheres should be shaded smooth. Pic related is the difference. Both spheres are only 80 tri here.

Watch this tutorial, it explains low poly work with spheres and smoothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRDFMYfsIcU

>> No.470584

>>470545
>I'm currently using the ones by Tuffs university

Jesus Christ no.

>> No.470599

>>470578
Ok very interesting. Thanks, I'm still very early in when it comes to learning about modelling.

>>470584
I picked them because it was the recommended videos in the book "The Complete Guide to Blender Graphics". What is a better way to learn about how to use Blender?

>> No.470604
File: 181 KB, 1360x768, QXxSSGn.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Basic shit but I havent done this in awhile

where do I position THESE bones so that my shoulders arent fucked up when I Physique it?

Everytime I put a few steps on it, the shoulders are caved in stupidly. I should just adjust the envelopes but its bugging me

>> No.470606

>>470604

Nowhere will result in not-fucked deformation on the shoulders since you only have one edgeloop.

https://books.google.com/books?id=eGJbJqE3c4UC&pg=PA32&lpg=PA32&dq=Edgeloop+deformation&source=bl&ots=11DvV4Plxl&sig=3OpFE2cdjX-AxPYuoQfCBN8VuYE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=RtAkVYKDDoSZsAXJmoHICw&ved=0CEQQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=Edgeloop%20deformation&f=false

>> No.470608

>>470606
oh! well shit that's something I did not think about nor have learned this semester year.

So I basically just need to add more subD's? Doesnt need to be perfect just not horrid

>> No.470612
File: 44 KB, 725x503, limb_deformations.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>470608

Not sub Ds, just extra edgeloops around limbs will do it.

Deformation is based on local topology. If you only have one edgeloop ( ring ) the back part of the mesh caves in when you try to bend it during animation/bone movement.

>> No.470614

>>470612
did not know this and that is the most beautiful gif ive seen all damn day

thanks anon, fixing my shit

>> No.470723 [DELETED] 
File: 317 KB, 1841x969, problem.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Very dumb question here.

I am learning Maya and I have this project I need to do.

I need to remove only the bottom face, but I cant seem to do so even in Face mode.

It requires me to shift click every single subdivision in order to delete, if I select it all it deletes the top face too.

So... how can I do this guys? Google shows me nothing.

>> No.470761

Can someone suggest the best beginner video tutorials for Blender with demonstrations and actually assignments where you apply what you're learned?

>> No.470765

Any good tutorials for creating text in 3ds Max?

>> No.470766
File: 255 KB, 1366x768, Screenshot 2015-04-08 22.16.30.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Still trying to get used to using Blender. How do I only select one object? I duplicated the pants/legs from the model and every time I right click I select/deselect both and I can move neither.

>> No.470777

Can anyone post good work flows for making game assets in zbrush?

>> No.470789

>>470761

I'm going to tell you something that you don't want to hear, because it's true.

There are no best tutorials, because the only person here who knows what you are struggling with is you. You are the one who knows what level you are at and what parts of the basics you are having trouble with. Are you familiar with other programs? Are you a complete noob who has never modeled anything before? Do you already know the UI and just need help with basic modelling? Do you not know the UI and you are completely lost? Are you already pro at modelling and are trying to learn animations? These are questions we don't know, because we aren't you.

If you are completely clueless, start with this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/user/BlenderForNoobs/videos

If not your best bet is to learn how to search for things for yourself. The best skill anyone can learn is how to research your own shit.

>> No.470891 [DELETED] 
File: 213 KB, 1120x737, Image 001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey guys, I've never really tried modelling anything organic and I'm having a bit of trouble.

Basically, I'm trying to model a pickle, and I have no clue what to do about the legs. I thought I could just model the legs, and somehow attach it, but I'm not too sure how to go about that. Any help?

>> No.470893

>>470789
Oh no, I know very close to nothing. I technically took a class is 3d modelling in high school but that was for Caligari Truespace, and it basically only prepared me for making volcanos.

I've watched some of the Tuffs University videos so I now know the basics of the interface and some basic controls, but it's very slow going and someone on here said the Tuffs videos aren't that good, which made me worried.

>> No.471004
File: 131 KB, 992x589, Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 19.36.39.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can anyone help here? I made this brush in zbrush and basically made this beam.

What I'm trying to do is taper one side so that it kind of spears out.

When I go to deformation even when i change the xyz it doesnt taper, it tapers the whole thing, how would i sharpen one side of this pleasE?

>> No.471008
File: 76 KB, 354x1035, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>471004
There's a modifier in 3ds Max called FFD 2x2x2 that will allow you to adjust the shape of the object by hand.

>> No.471010

>>471008
Thanks what about zbrush though? there has to be something?

>> No.471110

is my IK fucked up? i can't move my hip joint without it stretching. everything else is fine. not sure why though.

>> No.471111
File: 144 KB, 350x380, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>471110
whoops

>> No.471202

>>470893
Well, Tuff uni videos will teach basic UI, but you could have learned that just messing around and watching any other tutorial.

The main problem with Tuff is the end result of what they ask you to make is unusable shit. Anyone can make garbage, and following a tutorial that has garbage as the expectation will end up teaching you bad habits.

You should instead be pushing yourself. Find tutorials that have a final render that makes you think "Damn, that's pretty good" then do the tutorial over and over until you can get close to it. Aim for quality. Shitty university tutorials often just teach you what you need to make shovelware models.

>> No.471688
File: 461 KB, 860x808, cell.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm making pic related with shape keys for each of his 3 forms. Is there any way I can have his texture change when he transforms?

>> No.472185

Where should I go after DT Introduction to Maya?

I don't have an area in specific I want to focus on