[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 101 KB, 838x593, 23F7FF64-EF21-4DFB-921E-FE7BFF9D9C1C.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
725601 No.725601 [Reply] [Original]

How demanding on a system would a fully rendered,textured, and game ready Earth and Solar System be on a given system and Game Engine.

Something like Kerbal Space Program with GTA V or Ace Combat level Graphics?

>> No.725604

>>725601
look at star citizen

>> No.725606

>>725601
Look at what the devs of SC do. The only way to manage data like that in an elegant(and sane) fashion is a nested system of object/content containers and a proper way to stream said content.

>> No.725616

>>725601
GTA V is more an achievement in terms of art assets than anything very special going on technically compared to other game maps.
If you somehow had the art assets to fill an entire planet (impossible ofc) and the storage space needed to hold those files
the GTA 5 engine could lightly modified (to replace the base LOD model as we move onto an adjacent area)
stream in those assets at no worse performance than GTA 5 performs today on a given system.

Almost nothing is instantiated in GTA 5 (cept lamp posts and other highly repetitive samey content).
All buildings and roads are unique models handmade and them cleverly segmented into chunks that can be streamed in as necessary.
If you open the mesh files for that game and study them you realize just how crazy and labor intensive what they did is.

Making the LOD mesh of the entire island that renders at a distance is also an exercise in madness that can only be realized
if you can throw endless amounts of manual labor at the problem.

>> No.725617

Another key to understand is that these mega sized maps are all about asset streaming
and blinking you and the entire world back to origin as you move too far in any direction.

Mathematically you are never leaving a box of some predetermined size as this would introduce floating point errors.
As you move outside the boundary, say 10km from Origin, you and the entire world instantaneously blinks back so you're back near origin (position XYZ 0,0,0).

The problem of building infinite sized game worlds was technically solved a long time ago.

The main reason you don't see them very often is the problem of filling them with any sort of worthwhile content that doesn't quickly become familiar and repetitive.
Take for example games like Elite Dangerous: You can explore an entire galaxy! but everything looks the same...

Large map! But about as impressive as if you took Diablo 1 and made it so there was 1 billion procedurally generated floors to reach Diablo in the basement.

>> No.725651 [DELETED] 

>>725617
The key is to use 64 or 128 bit words for your positions/buffers.

>> No.725652

Use 64 or 128 bit words to store your coordinates & buffers

>> No.725695 [DELETED] 
File: 233 KB, 1080x1350, vyhbn4gg6bh41.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>725604
>>725606
There's much out there about Star Citizen other than pretty screen shots. Where would I go to find actual substantive details about the project other than screenshots.

>>725616
>GTA 5 engine could lightly modified (to replace the base LOD model as we move onto an adjacent area)

From what I heard RAGE is impossible to work with as it's custom made for GTAV. Considering the fact the Unity has tons of assets and is made for people wanting work on their own projects I would say that Unity is better for someone trying to work on their own version of Star Citizen or Skyrim; for example.

>>725617
So it's really a matter of your hardware more than the game or engine. I could theoretically simulate the entire universe with enough disk space and processing power.

>> No.725696
File: 1.06 MB, 1920x1549, paul-chadeisson-concept-010c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>725604
>>725606
There is not much out there about Star Citizen other than pretty screen shots. Where would I go to find actual substantive details about the project other than screenshots. I think it's in a closed Alpha right?

>>725616
>GTA 5 engine could lightly modified (to replace the base LOD model as we move onto an adjacent area)

From what I heard RAGE is impossible to work with as it's custom made for GTAV. Considering the fact the Unity has tons of assets and is made for people wanting work on their own projects I would say that Unity is better for someone trying to work on their own version of Star Citizen or Skyrim; for example.

>>725617
So in theory I could simulate the entire Universe if I had a powerful enough machine?

>> No.725697

>>725696
>I could simulate the entire Universe
like one anon said, the problem is filling the world with meaningful things and detail. Look at No Man's Sky for example: the game might generate billions of planets, but what is there to see or do after you discovered maybe 3 or 4 of them?
Wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle.

>> No.725699

>>725697
>the problem is filling the world with meaningful things and detail
>Wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle

That's true. Especially since you can buy entire city and region maps for a few hundred dollars online.

>> No.725700

>>725696
No, it's not in closed alpha
There's a ton of official behind the scenes shit that they've been putting out since day one on their sit and youtube channel with "bugsmashers" and "reverse the verse" also with their major updates and conferences they'll explain this shit anyway. theres also tons videos and whatnot that people make reporting on or compiling the information

>> No.725701

>>725700
And yet, no game.

>> No.725703

>>725700
>>725701
Yeah last I've heard it was a money laundering operation. How much has it raised so far like $500 million. Regardless if you have any good information on the project I'd be happy to look.

>> No.725704

>>725701
what do you mean no game? it's more of a game than most game's i've played in the past year it's basically atlas/taki life in space
>>725703
nigger I just GAVE you the information look it up yourself you can use a search bar cant you?

>> No.725707

>>725703
Yeah, it could be vapor ware at best and a massive fraud at worst. Whatever happens, Chris Roberts will make it into the history books.

>> No.725709

>>725604
Too ambitious for its own good. The hype is too big, too overblown.

>> No.725710

>>Wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle
Same can be said about Star Citizen. It looks great, but there is not much to do but flying/walking around.
They should have created and fine-tuned all the gameplay loops first instead of focusing only on the tech and ships.
First person combat still looks janky after years and they are using CryEngine ffs. It should be moderately easy to get gunplay up to the standard of Crysis in a couple of weeks with the manpower they have.

>> No.725712

>>725710
>First person combat still looks janky after years and they are using CryEngine

What engine would you personally use?

>> No.725713
File: 44 KB, 213x358, 4V0e.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>725712
Unity

>> No.725715

>>725713
didn't you mean Godot?!

>> No.725743

>>725713
This, but unironically. Unity is an excellent choice if you wanna build a system like this. Thing to understand is that unity is only powerful if you can code advanced systems yourself, it's not a toy but a fully fledged game engine.

It's sorta like a blank canvas in photoshop, really powerful but it's all up to you.

>> No.725749

>>725743
Agreed, just look at Escape from Tarkov to see what could be done with that engine alone.

>> No.727886

>>725697
No Man's Sky has made a huge turnaround with all the shit they added.

>> No.727887

>>725710
>they are using CryEngine ffs
an old version of CryEngine they bought from Amazon.
CryTek tried suing them over it even though they had permission from Amazon (email shows CryTek knew this) and got BTFO of court cuz the game wasn't even released yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6snromQjhc

>> No.727889
File: 296 KB, 1291x601, there goes the lawsuit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>725710
srry forgot timestamp here>>727887
https://youtu.be/I6snromQjhc?t=1170

>> No.727913

>>725712
That's a tough question, i don't really know, i am just an artist, not an programmer.
But i do know that CryEngine basically gives you the Crysis FPS template with the engine. All the code is there, so you can basically reskin and use it right out of the box. You have NPC AI's with pathfinding and ragdoll physics and effects, all that jazz. Why does it take CIG years to come up with a playable and fun FPS gameplay portion of the game? It's not the engine - that's what i am saying - it's them.
Using the CryEngine to build their Custom Engine on top is a good idea - they just buried themselves under a mountain of stuff with their feature creep philosophy.

>>725749
That's not a great example.
EFT is a good game held back by it's engine.
Unironically i think THEY should have used CryEngine/Lumberyard or UE4. Game is still in alpha and already looks dated, while running like shit, eating tons of RAM and needing a powerful CPU to run properly.
If you compare it to Star Citizen - it's a technical marvel and it runs circles around EFT.

>>725743
>Thing to understand is that unity is only powerful if you can code advanced systems yourself, it's not a toy but a fully fledged game engine.
>It's sorta like a blank canvas in photoshop, really powerful but it's all up to you.
If you can code advanced systems yourself, you don't need fucking Unity and still get much further if you use a better Engine with it's already established systems and only write advanced systems if you have too. There is no need to reinvent the fucking wheel (which seems to be the recurrent theme with Unity).

>> No.727918

>>727913
>If you can code advanced systems yourself, you don't need fucking Unity and still get much further if you use a better Engine with it's already established systems and only write advanced systems if you have too
Name me an engine that comes preloaded with systems to handle galaxy scale / interior of a house on a planet scale, and everything in between. You would have to create systems to support this whichever engine you decide to use. And yes it can even be done in Unity. Unity doesn't let you reinvent the wheel. Unless you were refering to drag & drop character contollers or similar systems. In which case your post should not be taken seriously.

>> No.727934

>>727918
>an engine that comes preloaded with systems to handle galaxy scale / interior of a house on a planet scale, and everything in between.
There is none, that's what makes CIG's custom engine based on CE so unique. And you knew that already.
You have to build it yourself or pray that these tools end up in a future Lumberyard Engine version.(don't bother)
>You would have to create systems to support this whichever engine you decide to use.
Exactly, so why use Unity?
Because "It's sorta like a blank canvas in photoshop".
GTFO

>> No.727940

>>727913
>already looks dated
wut
Nothing about their ships looks dated and all the tech being used is so new you really haven't seen it used in that many AAA games.

>CryEngine basically gives you the Crysis FPS template with the engine. All the code is there
Creators of Kingdom Come had a bunch of headaches fixing the engine to have 100 NPCs in 1 area cuz the engine was not made with that in mind.
I'm pretty sure Star Citizen is aiming far beyond what the engine was initially made for.

>> No.727941

>>727934
Why use any tool at all? Because it facilitates an environment where we can explore our creativity. Unity, Unreal engine, Godot, whatever. What's your beef with Unity specifically?

>> No.728600

>>725601
I'm planning such a system right now. The idea is that you handle different scales seperately because no single computer can handle all of it at once. And you need to think how you can transition between scales seemlessly.