[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 38 KB, 460x215, header.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
758194 No.758194 [Reply] [Original]

Is there any better baking software than TB3? I think Blender has a pretty decent one as you can bake the texture normals with the tangent, but it sucks ass at handling bevels and sharp/hard edges. I've used xNormal and whilst it's fast, it's not exactly pretty, tons of options to tweak though. I haven't used 3dsm or maya, how do they compare to those who've used all the ones I've mentioned?

>> No.758231

>>758194
>Is there any better baking software than TB3?
As far as quality goes, I really like Knald

>> No.758269

>>758194
Substance has surpassed it.

>> No.758468

>>758231
Sadly, the Knald devs gave up on developing it without a word to any of their users/customers. I switched over to baking in MT3 after Knald went dead and I'm pleased with it. It has a lot more map types you can bake out and being able to paint the cage/skew helps fix a lot of issues. It's become part of my asset texturing pipeline at work and at home. At work we're using 3DS Max>MT3>Mari and at home I'm using Blender>MT3>Quixel Mixer.

That said, I know that Quixel has plans to bring texture baking to Mixer but haven't given a timeline.

>> No.758470

>>758468
>Sadly, the Knald devs gave up on developing it without
Ah, they did? Didn't know, but for game art the way it behaves now I feel is just alright and unless i see speed improvements in other software or issues with OS compatibility, I don't intend to switch(also the normal maps come out much better imo with knald when compared to TB).
As for projects that require Mari and specifically a UDIM workflow, MightyBake is what we use at the studio

>> No.758471

>>758470
>MightyBake
How do you like MightyBake compared to say Knald or MT3?