[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 80 KB, 250x244, 1531181950528.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10233064 No.10233064 [Reply] [Original]

A debt collector showed up to my house when I wasnt home and handed a bunch of paperwork describing some debt I allegedly own to a relative. I live in SC. Has anyone ever dealt with something like this? I had some creditors write off some debt and I paid taxes on it so Im pretty sure I have no debt. But if one slipped through the cracks, isnt it still illegal for them to show up and disclose alleged debt information to a relative? My relative said they asked for his name, he told them, then asked who they were. They wouldnt identify themselves but handed over a stack of papers about an alleged debt and then ran up the street to a truck parked far away.

>> No.10233088

thats a good scam

>> No.10233117

>>10233064
Its an obvious scam.

>> No.10233289

Makes sense. The document even looks like its made it seem like a legal document. My relative said the guy looked very shady and he couldnt get the guys license plates because of how away he parked. Oh well.

>> No.10233327

The first two posts sound correct.
Ignore it and if the guy comes back around either you or your relative tell them to tell them to send you information about the "debt" through the mail.

>> No.10233347

Debt collectors are easy to push around because there isn't really anything they can do. If you hear from them again, ask them to validate the debt. It'd bet in your case you never hear from them again...if you do, just tell them to fuck off.

>> No.10233388

>>10233064
sounds like a scam

not exactly sure how they operate but i've had relatives deal with similar shit where they had bad credit that went to collections, and ended up eventually paying off the debt, but then its as if the collectors will sell your data to 3rd party and then those 3rd party will use it to scam

I believe they also sell data as-is and under whatever status it happened to be at during that specific moment, so if your account showed that you were in debt with an owing balance at one point in time, its like that "snapshot" gets sold around and if some dipshit gets it, they'll be under the impression that you still owe even if it was years back.

I'd just ignore it, unless you get an order to appear in court they can't really do anything to you