[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 67 KB, 399x351, 1608896205239.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
25314258 No.25314258 [Reply] [Original]

Dear /biz/, I live in UK and seriously don't know a good way of getting out of minimum wage by myself.
I am a very hard worker and have a lot of integrity, but from my position (I basically had to escape my home country and my education is useless here, I'm also alone and know very few people), I just don't know what to do.
I'd like something that would take no longer than a year, that I could feasibly do without needing extensive social contacts or opportunities here, which I don't have and that could be rewarding and with a future.
From my place of desperation I have thought about either:
-Learning accounting via certificates starting with AAT level 2 (not sure if it would actually land me a job in this shit economy).
-Training to become an electrician (not sure if too long or feasible due to my lack of contacts).
-Training to become a tiler (same thoughts as above).
-Doing a Msc in computer science at Kent University and trying to become a programmer (they have a Msc that is suitable for people with no computer background, I just don't know if it would be worth shit).
Thank you so much for any insights.
-Joining the French foreign legion (this would be the last if everything fails.)

>> No.25314304

buy xrp, thank me next year

>> No.25314353

>>25314304
I have less than 2000 pounds in savings, I can't just gamble them. But I'll keep in mind for a time when I'm better financially (if it ever happens).

>> No.25314594

>>25314353
stay positive bong fren, youre gonna make it

>> No.25314631

Obviously don't buy xrp that is incredibly stupid advice.

Be honest with yourself: If you are actually smart and good at logic/math then do the CS degree. You could even go the totally free route for that: https://github.com/ossu/computer-science

If not electrician or tiler or whatever is probably a shorter path but those are not very exciting jobs. Accounting will be totally gutted in 10-15 years imo

>> No.25314764

>>25314258
>tfw no cutie irish lassies that want to live with me in Florida

>> No.25315084

>>25314258
>-Doing a Msc in computer science at Kent University and trying to become a programmer (they have a Msc that is suitable for people with no computer background, I just don't know if it would be worth shit).

Bong here. I did a virtually identical course (at a different uni) a few years back and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Avoid if you can't into logic though as >>25314631 points out.

Have you thought about picking up some IT certs? i.e. AWS, RHCSA etc.

>> No.25315145

>>25314631
I'm not sure if I'm smart enough to be doing programming but I might be short-changing myself.
Funny thing for me to say as I'm looking for advice to get out of minimum wage. But I did get absolutely fucked over by personal circumstances and my home country basically collapsing, to now find myself here alone, with an education that I can't use and stuck on dead end minimum wage zero hour jobs.
Thanks for the advice.

>> No.25315285

>>25315084
You did a similar course and it worked for you?
How did that happen if you don't mind be asking?
Did the one year course lead you to a job straight away or did you do other things before?
Do you do programming or something else?
I will look into those certs you mentioned, thanks.

>> No.25315382

>>25314258
>Dear /biz/, I live in UK
Filtered

>> No.25315434

>>25315084
did it land you a job? is it actually viable to put that you've 'graduated' from ossu? or are employers generally more concerned with what you've produced to prove your ability?

>> No.25315571

>>25314258
You could try a web dev bootcamp, I've met a number of people who were able to kickstart their career like that and are now making some good money. Not sure which bootcamps to for in the UK, check reviews online and try to look for something that teaches the latest tech e.g. React GraphQL etc.
Good luck

>> No.25315938

>>25315571
Will consider. Thanks fren.

>> No.25316001
File: 43 KB, 400x400, 1608829707618.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>25314258
>Dear /biz/, I live in UK and seriously don't know a good way of getting out of minimum wage by myself.
>I am a very hard worker and have a lot of integrity, but from my position (I basically had to escape my home country and my education is useless here, I'm also alone and know very few people), I just don't know what to do.

This is why you are here, cheap labour. This why the UK Government accepts migrants with education which is worthless.

You can crawl out, but only by doing your own style of business or getting an education from within the UK (although even this is questionable in the post-COVID world, wagies are everywhere)

God bless you anyway mate.

>> No.25316346

>>25316001
The thing is, I know people with UK master degrees that are also stuck on minimum wage and they don't seem to be completely worthless masters i.e. someone with a business marketing master working hostel reception, etc.
It would need to be some kind of education that is in demand, if there is such a thing (even STEM seems saturated).
That's why I'm looking for ideas.
And I'm in UK not because the government let me directly but because I have EU passport, but that's gone now.
God bless you too.

>> No.25316428

>>25314258
>escape my home country

Literally gas yourself refugee shitskin, stop polluting my population m8

>> No.25316704

>>25316428
I'm Italian, probably whiter than you, my english and my manners are probably better than yours and I've never been on benefits in this country, nor I intend to.
I'd say I'm a net improvement over the average rude working class british lad who can't even speak english properly, reads The Sun, gets pissed all day and lives on the dole. No offense.

>> No.25316771

>>25315285
>You did a similar course and it worked for you?
Yes. At a uni in a similar league to Kent
>How did that happen if you don't mind be asking?
Had some savings which I put towards it although you can get loans for postgrad degrees.
>Did the one year course lead you to a job straight away or did you do other things before?
I landed a job within 3 months of graduating but I was in no rush, I probably could have got one in half the time if I made the effort.
>Do you do programming or something else?
The bread and butter was programming (Java) and software engineering, with a bit of databases and UX design. You spend less time on the kind of theoretical stuff you get taught in a comp sci undergrad and more on "practical" i.e. code monkey topics like the ones listed. You won't be a programming whiz by the end of it but you'll be employable with a decent foundation if you put the work in. Bonus if you use your spare time wisely to learn linux, git, web development and a major cloud provider (e.g. AWS/GCP) too instead of partying your ass off like I did.

>>25315434
>did it land you a job? is it actually viable to put that you've 'graduated' from ossu? or are employers generally more concerned with what you've produced to prove your ability?
It did, and a bit of both. My company recently relaxed their entrance criteria to include people from bootcamps and lower-tier unis as they are so desperate for devs but this wasn't the case when I joined. Expect to get tested on data structures and algorithms in an interview and to have at least one programming project you worked on that you can talk about.

>> No.25316945

>>25316771
Thanks for taking the time to answer.
I will consider this, my doubts are if I'm smart enough to do programming, whether I would like it or not and the fact that I would like to do work that is not harmful.
I know a guy who landed a job at Google and he worked before for the same people behind Dominion who stole the U.S. election.
I wouldn't want to do anything like that, even at a low level.

>> No.25317030
File: 337 KB, 1500x1000, norfern drum.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>25314258
FUCK OFF WERE FULL GO BACK TO BONGO BONGO LAND

>> No.25317120

Have a look into construction - Lots of roles on both the professional and trade sides due to shortages of labour! Friend of mine took a £1k week long course to drive a telehandler on construction sites and was able to earn around £30k per year through agency work.

>> No.25317126

>>25316704
>I'd say I'm a net improvement over the average rude working class british lad who can't even speak english properly, reads The Sun, gets pissed all day and lives on the dole. No offense.

1. From your post you dont exactly sound like you are adding much to old blighty currently, lol.
2. Its THIER country, not yours. They can do what they like with it. God the entitlement of immigrants never ceases to amaze me. If I ever moved to another country I would make sure I was respectful of the population who has the good grace and generosity to share their country with me.

>> No.25317194

>>25314631
The electricians I know are making more money than most white collar workers. They seem to enjoy it enough.

>> No.25317752

>>25317126
Like I said, no offense meant.
You're the one getting all edgy and rude saying very specific things to me and I'm replying with facts.

>> No.25317769

Get some SwapDEX before mainnet is 100% launched and wait for a lifetime of gains.

>> No.25317781

>>25314353
the impulse to not gamble is why you have a better chance of making it. day trading nd stock without proper research is just that. You have a retirement fund started yet bongfren? in the US you can do a ROTH IRA and contribute up to 5k a year and its non taxable

>> No.25317831
File: 74 KB, 1000x1000, 1597375888224.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>25314258
Actually its really simple
Be realistic
School is overrated, you dont need a master
Reject normie culture, consuuming.
Learn a high income skill! (Programming, copywriting etc)
Start a business (dropshipping etc)
Create content/value for others (youtube etc) dont be a wagecuck trading time for money.
Invest excess funds in appriciating assets in variying riskprofiles. (stonks/index funds)
Move to a capitalist free country
Also avoid women aka gainggoblins. GLHF

>> No.25317841

Again: The answer is SwapDEX

>> No.25318067

>>25317831
I pretty much reject normie culture and consooming entirely. I also have the discipline of a monk.
I'm a very hard worker too.
My problem is not having a vision or not being aware of the opportunities, difficulties making a decision between different choices and commiting to a path.
I'm kind of trapped in the ilussion that brings the possibility of doing anything while not actually commiting and focusing on a path for fear of it not being the best.
Paralysis by analysis.

>> No.25318099
File: 299 KB, 1080x2400, Screenshot_20201230-113710_Robinhood.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>minimum wage