[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 31 KB, 400x400, CC8EC7C8-53DE-4B07-9A96-E3B480CD2390.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
50013155 No.50013155 [Reply] [Original]

Just got my CDL edition. Is going over the road worth it? I almost like the idea of it, but I heard it doesn’t really pay like it used to. There’s some pretty good local gigs around me and I can only really find OTR jobs at mega carriers like JB hunt and swift (which I’ve been told to stay away from)

>> No.50014543

>>50013155
people on biz have jobs?

>> No.50014570

You're fucked

>> No.50014621

>>50013155
Good pay, can get boring/lonely, but can be enjoyable if you're moee of an introvert. Pro tip, try to keep in shape/exercise/eat healthy. Everyone I know that drives tractor trucks have gained a lot of weight throughout the years. But the main thing is that if you're happy doing it and love the job, that's all that matters

>> No.50014781

>>50014621
I started doing DoorDash & shit literally the day I got my license, I’ve always enjoyed driving and I feel like I’d definitely prefer it as a job over warehouse work (which is what I’ve been doing since I’ve turned 18) as far as keeping fit, I see a lot of guys prefer drop & hook loads but the ones where you actually handle the freight yourself tend to pay a bit more from what I’ve seen. Seems like a good way to get paid to stay in shape to me, some truckerfag on here also recommended flatbed work to keep from developing trucker bod so I’m keeping this all in mind

>>50014570
There’s always one, how exactly am I fucked?

>> No.50014873
File: 33 KB, 600x800, 1650230079513.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>50013155
I have orietnation with Schneider next week. God damn I'm gonna miss being a neet.

>> No.50015046

>>50014781

The field tends to attract miserable hermit loners. Said miserable hermit loners are naturally predisposed to mental illness and substance abuse. Outsiders believe in the myth of Tabula Rasa, and think that it's that job that ruined these people. Those people were broken from the start.

Alternatively, over socialized people would literally rather sit through endless meetings and put on a suppressing facade every day at work than to be alone on the road. As a result, you get a ton of bad press from people both inside and outside the industry.

You need to strike the right balance of being mentally ill enough to tolerate the isolation, but not so mentally ill that you do a bunch of self destructive shit. You sound like you've got a good enough head on your shoulders for the job.

I'm the same way with food delivery. When the pandemic hit and everything close I hit it HARD. $1000/week minimums on top of my 9-5. Hell of a lot better than house arrest, and there's something special about having that personal bubble where the climate and music is exactly how I like it, and the only person I have to answer to is the AI telling me where to pick up and drop off.

I always recommend people simulate the OTR experience before trying it. Deliver food for a full 11 hour day, sleep in your car, and you're only allowed to park at a gas station or a place with semi parking. Don't cheat. If you can do this for a full 6 day work week without feeling at all miserable then OTR is worth a shot. If you can't then you get you answer before signing some ridiculous contract.

>> No.50015095
File: 63 KB, 577x433, 30of98.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.50015633

>>50013155
OTR is not worth it at all. You live like an animal, interact with the worst sort of people and are going to be pushed hard by dispatchers for no mo ey. The otr part of trucking is absolutely overrun with immigrants that are fine with 0.21cpm. U fortunately you really need to do otr for a year, then most local places will hire you. I highly highly recommend scheduling and taking your tanker and hazmat tests to get your x endorsement- you would be surprised at how many fucking useless retards never get past basic cdl shit jobs. Also if you dont know how to drive a 10, 13, or 18 then try to learn- if youve got the e restriction get that removed asap. Forget about hitting docks all day in crowded cities thats gay and pays less than starbucks but you work 13 hr days (your interstate otr hos clock will be different). As soon as you have the experience get off the road and get a local job. Look for construction companies or asphalt oil haulers or something. Just try to find a company that will let you drag a tanker without prior tanker experience. After that go work in the oilfield as a crude hauler. Its insanely easy if you arent a fuck up or a retard. I sleep in my own bed every night, i see my wife and kids every day, work 5 on 1 off and make $350 a day (thats not even high for the industry). I wont do it forever but ive got a beautiful home two cars and savings because i dont spend it on drugs and booze like most of the faggots in the oilfield. Its not as dangerous as it seems. Also just some general advice; wrecks and violations and your criminal record are your resume, if you arent a criminal, dont tear shit up, and dont run your clock or fail DOT inspections you will get jobs easily. Always have a career plan in trucking, try to make yourself stand out from any other chucklefuck that can drive a truck- you do that with safe driving record and taking piss easy endorsement tests. Good luck driver, watch your tandems.

>> No.50017692

imagine still posting pepe like a cringe reddit fucktard in 2022 .6

>> No.50017750

>>50013155
Trucking is cut throat and draining. On average-- you'll do it for a few years, get burnt out and quit. Keeping your cdl and possibly doing sanitation if you're black or dispatching if you made good connections. Otherwise you'll quit completely from the business.

>> No.50017783
File: 98 KB, 550x535, 1638462552324.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>50017692

>> No.50017871

>>50014621
Be like stallone in that movie and do arm wrestling.

>> No.50017939
File: 30 KB, 300x250, IMG_1421.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>50017692
I see your game. Increased scarcity = higher prices for those rare pepes. You can't fool me.