[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 72 KB, 226x263, life is too hard.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
548575 No.548575 [Reply] [Original]

Are there any seo here? Is becoming one worth it?

>> No.548589

what the fuck does this mean

>> No.548672
File: 89 KB, 620x387, mcafee_2400587b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am one. Why do you want to do it? What do you mean 'Is becoming one worth it?' It is a job that pays money. It could be something that you are interested in or not. It is a lot different than it used to be now tho. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer if I can.

>> No.548751

>>548672
Well how do you get started in it?
I've been told that you don't really need a degree to become one, but you might have to know certain people to become good.

>> No.548805
File: 347 KB, 865x1150, Григорий_Распутин.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>548751
I actually have a degree in philosophy, a /Biz/ approved degree if there ever was one. I ended up working as a web developer at a small business and just kinda fell into SEO because no one else knew how to do it.

It has changed tremendously as an industry mainly because in the beginning the internet was much less standardized and tons of people made fortunes off of scamming and blackhatting. You could look at Rand Fishkin as a perfect example of this.Not that he is really a scammer but he is someone who is the poster child of success in the SEO world and he was in it from the start. Back in the day you pretty much had to get your hands dirty to be successful. It is just no one knew what dirt was then. Cant really scam people anymore because Googles AI is so good its not even worth trying to game the system. I started a few years back right when the hammer was being brought down on more black hattish stuff. Even by playing by the rules there are still so many facets to it now that it is a really broad line of work. And yes as everything it never hurts to know the right people. Thats pretty much how i ended up getting my job, through connections but once youre in thats when you really got to make sure you know what youre doing.

>> No.548820

>>548589
Search Engine Optimisation

>> No.548875

>>548805
Got any you recommend me to learn more about seo?

>> No.548879

>>548805
I meant do you have sources you recommend me reading?

>> No.548890
File: 18 KB, 460x276, Caravaggios-St-Matthew-an-002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>548875
>>548879
Yeah for sure I would starting out just look up tutorials that are on MOZ's site. It is formerly SEOMOZ and was started by Rand Fishkin, the guy I mentioned above. There are a lot of good resources there to go by the book and do everything the right way. There is also a site called Blackhatworld dot com. I would be careful there for obvious reasons but it is the other side of the spectrum and has a lot of great insights as well. Last but not least google itself has tons and tons of resources. It is kinda funny because it is a field that has a lot of mystery surrounding it but all of the info is so widely available anywhere online. The one thing I would keep in mind is to try and find the most recent stuff you can find because there are tons of dated tutorials that will tell you to do something and it was fine then but now it is exactly the opposite thing to do.

What aspects of SEO are you interested in? Driving traffic to a Blog? E-commerce? a traditional website? It is kind of a weird thing to try to just break into because you will have to have a website at your disposal to practice on which you probably dont have if you are asking such questions. You're also going to want to know your way around code as well because there is just way too much crossover to ignore it. But you are on a computer now and essentially that is all you need to get started but I can see getting started being very difficult now if it is something you just decide to jump into. Are you wanting to train yourself to become an SEO or are you in need of one and you are just wanting to do it yourself?

>> No.548904

>>548890
I'm kinda in a position where I really don't know what to do with my life. I thought about going into marketing, but I've been told it's not as fun and stable as it seems.

I'm just trying to get into a few different areas of business since that what I am interested in.

>> No.548908
File: 109 KB, 691x548, 2e5in1t.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>548904
well SEO is actually Marketing. If youre just starting out I would say the best way to get a feel for it would be to start a wordpress blog, which is free and then from there see if you can drive traffic. That is probably the best way to learn without and worry as far as results go.

>> No.548911

>>548908
So do you think I should continue studying marketing? I fear is that if seo doesn't work out I will end up with a useless degree.

>> No.548943
File: 55 KB, 358x360, impale.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>548911
All degrees are useless. What you actually know and do matters. I would say go on with the marketing degree and do your best to learn SEO on the side. But don't stop with SEO I would also say you should have a good base level understanding of web development if you are going into SEO just because you have to know what people are talking about when they're talking to you. It is a very broad field as I said before and it encompasses everything from google adwords to scamming people on craigslist. So knowing html is a must and I would also encourage you to look into javascript and a server language like php. Not necessarily to become a master at them, which would be awesome if you do, but just so you can follow your future coworkers conversations at the very least. There are tons of places online to learn all of these but w3schools dot com is a great place to start. you can learn everything you would need to learn there. Hope this all helps.

>> No.548951

>>548943
Yeah man.
It really does. Thanks

>> No.548957

>>548951
thats great to know. happy to help. same anon but posting from phone in a meeting so dont know if id is the same. if you dont care about youre degree you should just go with philosophy. its the best. it has allowed me to be the capable yet eccentric person in any business environment which ive always dreamed of. but you still have to know youre shit. study philosophy but still learn seo and coding. or if not stick with marketing and study philosophy on the side. you said you dont know what to do with your life. philosophy will surely help you find what youre looking for.

>> No.549099

>>548957
I took philosophy class in college, but my professor kinda made me and everyone else hate it. I passed the class only because he really didn't give a shit about us.

I think he's been teach so long that he just ends up passing everyone just so he wont have to deal with their bs.

>> No.549867
File: 35 KB, 371x372, 1398631695299.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>549099
sounds like a true philosopher right there. Jaded the day he was born. I'm sure you guys were shitty students too.