[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 37 KB, 700x700, w-31227-00.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10453575 No.10453575 [Reply] [Original]

Let's talk about our dream dress searching process. As someone who's mostly hoarding AP, I really wonder how it works for less common items.
> How much time does it takes to find a dress in average?
> How often do you check second hand sales?
> The longest search: how much time did it take? What item was that?
last but not least
> How do you keep yourself motivated when looking for something really obscure?

>> No.10453578

>>10453575
>> How much time does it takes to find a dress in average?
A few months to a couple years
>> How often do you check second hand sales?
Every day, usually multiple times a day
>> The longest search: how much time did it take? What item was that?
It’s been going on for ten years and I’m not saying what it is. The last thing I need is to finally find it only for someone else to get it first
>last but not least
>> How do you keep yourself motivated when looking for something really obscure?
I imagine how happy I’ll be when I finally get it. I’m not going to lie though there are some despairing days

>> No.10453582

>>10453578
>The last thing I need is to finally find it only for someone else to get it first
I mean something out of the things you already bought

>> No.10453589

>>10453575
I don't even care about the bear, just give me something with that printed ribbon on it

>> No.10453602

Thing is, when looking for popular brand you fins something new every day. That actually keeps the motivation up because market flow is moving, finding a thing feels real. Plus it keeps you somewhat entertained because you got to window shop for other stuff. When looking for something like VM or even MM, market looks all the same for days whith rare exceptions. That shit can be really frustrating, so I wonder what are the ways to keep oneself motivated.

>> No.10454037
File: 525 KB, 1000x667, 1573541006723.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

do we really need another fucking dream dress thread?

>>10439751

I hate this type of threads because its always "can anybody tell me how to look for my dream dress and where and how often"

jfc this type of threads are as useless as the "what's the best shopping service" or "where to get second hand besides CC" because it never reaches more than 20 replies

>> No.10454089

>>10453575
I thought this was an armbinder at first glance and was about to be upset about bondage worming its way into j-fash again

>> No.10454144

>>10454037
Do you not know the difference between a DD thread and a conversation thread

>> No.10454150

I once asked an SS if I could be first on the list for an item that didn't exist yet, but I thought might in the future. Surprisingly they agreed.
However when the item finally came out it sucked so I ended up not getting it.

>> No.10454155

>>10454150
Really? What item was it?

>> No.10454158

>>10453602

I feel your pain so hard.

I've mostly given up searching for mine. It's gotten to the point where I'm just happy to see MM for sale period. It's really sad.

>> No.10454163
File: 47 KB, 300x400, custardbb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm primarily AP sweet so every other DD has taken a few months tops. I keep getting ridiculously lucky with the dress at least becoming suddenly available.
Daily, but not obsessively. Usually just once when I wake up while I catch up on notifications, then once before bed. I used to check a ton but life's too short to be stressed over that desu. If it's not there when I go to bed, it's not like my SS can get it anyway.
> The longest search: how much time did it take? What item was that?
6 years for MM's Custard Rose JSK.
Just check regularly and stop obsessing over it, there are other beautiful things to wear in the meantime. I didn't really get demotivated, but I did enjoy making collages and looking for things to match, so that might help.

>> No.10454213

I've honestly never tried to hunt for a specific dd, would just search certain brands or look specifically for old school items. I just bought what I thought was good, it's too much heartache otherwise, that level of zealous behaviour felt unhealthy.
I use to check obsessively, then I wrote a script to do it for me, now I've completely stopped. The spell has been broken, I try to enjoy the dresses I have but I never wear them, they just sit in my closet. Pretty much why I stopped completely, throwing another one on the pile got boring.

>> No.10454259

>>10454144
Every thread is a conversation thread. This is a website for discussion.

>> No.10455255

>>10454037
>can anybody tell me how to look for my dream dress and where and how often

it's rather "how do I keep myself motivated even tho my DD does not pop on sale for days/weeks/months/years"

>> No.10455263

I'm so glad I got all my dream dresses early. The market is so sparse now for Goth/classic dresses. Forget anything moitie. Accessories will show up just keep looking. Some really sought after dresses though will never show up on market for another 5 years imo. You might have to wait.

>> No.10466155

>>10453575
The main issue is that checking for certain brands every day is extremely boring because nothing new is posted for weeks. Then you get bored and don't check for 1 day, BOOM your dream dress was sold. I actually check AP sales out of boredom even though I hate AP.

>> No.10466160

>>10453575
For me, on average 3 or 4 years for my dream dresses. 2 of them I have not been able to get in the course of 6 years searching. Longest search was 5 years, I used to check every site every day. Now I check every site 4 or 5x a week, and sometimes skip sites. Honestly I've given up on 2 of my dream dresses

>> No.10466166

>>10454163
Does this fit or did you get it tailored? Eyeballing the one on LM but it's 2 or 3 cm too small, and the cut looks hard to impossible to alter bigger

>> No.10466177

i'm newer to the fashion, but i'm assuming for some of my more obscure dream dresses it'll take months to years. it's ok though because in the meantime i save a lot.
daily, makes me even more motivated to search because i missed out on two dream dresses in august because i wasn’t diligent enough. lace market email notifications really aren’t helpful because i get them midday
it's hard, but you just need to keep moving forward. it's hard because i mainly wear classic and some pieces haven’t popped up in years

>> No.10466189

>>10466160
what are the two dresses you've given up on?

>> No.10466195

>>10466166
It fit me, I don't think it would be impossible with a good seamstress, though.

>> No.10466196

>>10453575

I go through phases where I will look for something every day for a few months and then I will get fatigued and give up. I wish there was a better feature for posting DDs so that when I am burnt out there is a small chance a seller will see my post and contact me with a price. Frankly paying a premium for something I want is worth it if it means I dont have to be scrolling for a half hour every day.

> motivation
Its easier for me to stay hooked for print items as opposed to non print items. I can sew so the devil part of my brain always tells me "well why dont you just devote time to making something visually similar to this nonprint wishlist item?? I'd be custom fit and you can feel proud of it" but the lure of a BRAND item always kills off the mood.

>>10453575
Part of me wants to bid 800 usb on this bag because it reminds me of old street snaps but the other half of me is like - didn't you make 300 teddy bears in a year and sell them? you're telling me you can't measure out this image and make a virutally copy paste version? but the guilt would get to me and I would never want to wear it and explain to everyone that its a fake version

>> No.10466213

>>10466196
you could make it in a unique colorway and maybe even monogrammed with your own initials so that it's clear that it's a custom piece.

>> No.10466242

Non dream dress: 1-8 months with low/medium searching.
Dream dress (usually more rare): about a year with medium/high searching
When I was actively looking, one to three times a day depending on how I felt. Now I own all of my dream dresses, so I look once a day to window shop or find a few non dream dresses I would like to buy.
> The longest search: how much time did it take?
I think about 3 years. It was an AP teaparty exclusive release and I somehow managed to get it for a steal, it was a total fluke. Very rare and limited, hardly ever popped up for sale especially in the colorway I wanted. I was prepared to pay 600,00 - 1000,00 for it and searched every day, but by some stroke of luck bought it for retail in perfect condition.
I actually find it kind of fun window shopping for lolita online so motivation isn't really an issue. Sometimes I'd look at photos/coords to inspire me a bit more, but also do not let myself obsess over not having it and just appreciate my wardrobe for what I already have.

If someone listed it and it sold before I saw it, I would be sad at the fact I didn't have a chance, but understand it was just not meant to be yet. One thing I realized after over a decade in this fashion is if you wait long enough, you can get any dream dress.

>> No.10466448

>>10466189
Rather not say, sorry. I posted one here years ago and now it regularly gets put in people's collages. It had come up before that very cheap a few times

>> No.10466507

>>10454089
> bondage worming its way into j-fash again
Its been a part of jfash for a long, long time

>> No.10466508

>>10466507
5 years isn't that long, fag.

>> No.10466515

>>10466508
Ok larper