[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 90 KB, 628x687, Fake dating account scam.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10694578 No.10694578 [Reply] [Original]

Fucking lel. Copypasted from a reddit thread:
>Within the last 2 days, midwestern (myself included) anime fans are discovering that the login information they used on MetaCon and AniMinneapolis has been transposed to the "otaku dating website" MaiOtaku without their permission, with entire profiles being created on the website. In the case of anyone who sold merchandise at these events, there are reports that credit card information was uploaded to the dating website as well without their knowledge.
>Edit: Some reports have come in that other cons run by or involved with Ryan Kopf are also affected. Ryan Kopf confirmed on twitter as a reply to me that "all his websites use single sign-on so you don't need multiple passwords," which is not something I can find in any terms of service for these websites.

>> No.10694613 [DELETED] 

I feel bad for the unwarned teens and unsuspecting folks who have never heard about Kopf. I want to say that knowlegable adults get start they deserve fit ignoring the warning,but there really is no way anyone could have known this was coming. At least I'm fairly certain it's some type of illegal. So, hopefully someone sues him into an early social death.

>> No.10694615
File: 5 KB, 275x177, suffer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I feel bad for the unsuspecting teens and unwarned vendors, for whom this may have been their first run in with Kopf. It's not like investigating the owners of a convention is the first thing you do when you're planning a con, for most people. If you knew and still went, this is pretty "just deserts"
At least this is most likely some kind of illegal, so i look forward to seeing how this shakes out.

>> No.10694629

>>10694615
Cons are still fun so I'll be going again.

>> No.10694779

>>10694578
>Ryan Kopf confirmed on twitter as a reply to me that "all his websites use single sign-on so you don't need multiple passwords," which is not something I can find in any terms of service for these websites.

yeah, his excuse won't hold up if anything is done to confront about it.

>> No.10694785

>>10694615
>If you knew and still went, this is pretty "just deserts"
I went to my shitty local con years before any of the Kopf shit came out publicly (I guess his parent company owned the local con I went to) and my credit card information was on there.

>> No.10694827

>>10694785
You didn't know, so not deserts. Easy as that.

>> No.10694830

>>10694827
it's spelled "desserts" you retard

>> No.10694832

You're a dumbass if you don't know what single sign on is and how it doesnt mean you have an account there

>> No.10694913

>>10694832
what he did isnt actually SSO. he is claiming that it is, but it is not.

>> No.10694971

>>10694832
What he’s actually using is not SSO. He’s just got only one database for all of his sites and registration systems so if you make an account on one the same username and password will work on all of them, as well as any information that’s stored such as cc when buying a con badge. The profile generated from that single database is then displayed on all his sites. A user account is also generated for things like a parent purchasing a badge for a child or a vendor purchasing a table. Up until a few days ago, those profiles were all visible by default on his dating website. Nothing is getting transferred from one site to another, it’s just all in one place to begin with.

>> No.10694972

>>10694827
I and many others didn't know. There's accounts made from as far back as 2011. Not everyone that's been affected are people that have went after everything about Kopf came out. Hell, you might even have an account made from some shitty small town con from a decade ago.