[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 570 KB, 1194x3442, PXL_20230225_023822948.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10839703 No.10839703 [Reply] [Original]

Srs. Obvious answer is to attend cons, just went to one last weekend, but looking to do anything to increase my odds.
Any specific cons I should keep an eye out for? Any that have events meant for socializing like this? Are after parties worth going to?

I tried seeing if there was any Meetup cosplay/anime type groups in my area but nothing at all. There was an after party to the con I went to yesterday, but I had been there all day and was really tired waiting for it - I have a feeling not a lot of other people attended either, the convention center had emptied out quite a lot. Anyone have experience with those (after parties)?

Location is near San Antonio TX. To those of you who have made it - share your wisdom.
Picrel is me and first attempt at cosplay.

>> No.10839706

you must be pretty ugly if you had to cover your face with an anime profile pic

maybe thats your problem?

>> No.10839708

>>10839706
THATS WHAT IM SAYING!!!!!
get better at makeup, learn how to conversate with people online. also helps if you make a popular instagram account of some sort

>> No.10839710

Find a gf normal style, get her into cosplay

That's what I did. It's easy. Women are natural followers

>> No.10839712

>>10839708
>learn how to conversate with people online
Where online? Or I guess just Instagram? I did finally make one last week. I'm not big into social media but seeing as I'm trying to meet someone and everything is shared online now, figured it was time.
>>10839710
I tried Plenty of Fish a couple months ago and it was abysmal. I'm trying to go out and socialize a bit more this year, hence the cons. Outside of that though I'm very introverted, I'm not super interested in trying to meet someone at a bar. I'm also old enough now I guess where hookups don't really appeal to me.

I guess I may already be doing as much as I can.

>> No.10839718

>>10839703
>Anyone have experience with those (after parties)?
People in hotel rooms? Sure. Official stuff? No, those are boring, lame and overpriced though the one con I did in San Antonio ever (Yumi) had one I attended. It was...just that. More to the point here, you don't want to find a "cosplay wife" at a con afterparty. Trust me. You seem pretty eager too, cause this is the third time I've seen you on here in the last couple days

>> No.10839728

>>10839718
>You seem pretty eager too, cause this is the third time I've seen you on here in the last couple days
Thanks for the insight.
Yeah, I'm having fun getting into this so I've posted in a couple different threads here. Only have one friend IRL who's kind-of into this but it's not too often we have time to hang out together.

>> No.10839744

>>10839728
It mostly stood out cause you bumped my thread (What do cons mean to you?), plus everybody's just in it for sex at the most shallow, a girlfriend at the deepest. Not "wife". So as obvious as this is too...
>but looking to do anything to increase my odds.
Literally just go to more of them. Texas has more in one area than anywhere in the country, probably even the world. Just keep in mind it's Dallas and Houston, *much* less around you or Austin. That said, you probably want ColossalCon Texas. Since I'm not deep in the Texas scene, this isn't a definitive statement but I'd bet strongly there's stuff being small non-convention yet related events advertised. And if you show up more, you'll be spotted by the regulars more, so better chance of getting in with their communities, so better chance of meeting someone you're interested in. I see there's two events Anime STX's this year too, which sounds like a great stepping stone too.

>> No.10839800
File: 1.23 MB, 1280x720, vlc fighten.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10839744
Thanks homie, I'll be sure to check out ColossalCon. I'm following a lot of the Texas-con related accounts on Instagram now too.
They had fliers for YumiCon, EcchiExpo, and KowaiCon at the convention I just went to so I'll be checking those out too, they're all like a month apart so wouldn't be too hard to go to a couple of them.

>> No.10839801 [DELETED] 

>>10839703
I got married and told my wife to cosplay. Pretty easy.

>> No.10839804

Give them lots of money on onlyfans

>> No.10839824
File: 879 KB, 245x230, 1676286582647950.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10839804

>> No.10839860

>>10839800
It's interesting to see how the smaller cities right outside the big ones are trying to do their own things now. CC Texas isn't even Austin, but I guess you knew that if you checked even the most basic thing about it. Yet in spite of its location, it's the most urban of all Kalahari's. Anyway, following Insta accounts is a smart move. You're bound to have an event sneak up on you because there's so many to juggle.

>> No.10839881

>>10839703
Not here, my brother. You come off as desperate.

>> No.10839883

>>10839703
cosplay thots are not wife material. thats the real issue here.

>> No.10839889

>>10839881
>You come off as desperate.
>putting in effort or being serious about this comes off as desperate
Yeah I'm aware that it's supposed to be some cool lax affair that happens naturally, but that's not the case, and I'm not pretending it to be.
Shamelessly going after what I want, embrace the cringe. I'm not going to feel embarrassed for putting in effort where I need to.

Anyway, my question has basically been answered - Thank you to the kind Anon earlier. I'll be going to more events this summer and will otherwise keep an eye out for anything else as it comes up.

>> No.10839923

Your outfit looks homemade; take it from a fellow guy tailor, it's an insanely nice conversation piece, especially since it's rare for a guy to be into sewing. I'd talk to chicks about their cosplays, ask them if they made it, shoot the shit about techniques, then ask if they want a drink/have plans in the evening/etc

I would *massively* recommend looking into characters that are aimed for the female gaze. Most fit dudes run into the issue of cosplaying a shirtless/buff char and not getting girls to pay attention to them, because they cosplay chars that guys like. Girls like pretty boys, guys in suits, etc etc. You *can* work being buff into the cos ofc, but being a pretty boy is one of the big things.

>> No.10839939

>>10839923
Thank you, and good advice. I recently finished SpyxFamily and really enjoyed it, I may consider doing either a Loid or Bondman cosplay in the future. I have blonde hair and blue eyes naturally so it would suit me very well.

>> No.10842988

as a female cosplayer i literally had a dream about this the other night. 10/10 would flirt if the guy was
-nice enough looking
-overall a decent human
-made their cosplays
in my dream the guy i talked to mentioned submitting his cosplay to the craftmanship competition and i nearly swooned right there. i was lowkey mad when i woke up. basically, just be chill, give compliments to cosplayers in earnest, maybe focus on one part to really admire. say "i really like how the hat looks, how did you put it together?" and you will have a conversation if she is willing/interested. this is what i'd like to hear, honestly. if she's participating in an event, show interest in that as well. mention that you'll pop by. good luck, anon. hope some of this helps you out