[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 35 KB, 320x484, say-what-face.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6442022 No.6442022 [Reply] [Original]

Hey seagulls. Have any of you had any embarrassing moments involving anime/cosplay/lolita post-weeb-phase? I just had a pretty embarrassing memory pop up on me the other day.

>Be freshmen
>Weeb phase ended the year before
>Mom is convinced I'm still obsessed with anime
>Failing Biology (because my biology teacher misplaced my work A LOT)
>Mom tells Biology teacher I'm failing because I'm obsessed with anime
>howdoesthatevenmakesense
>Biology teacher is talking about gathering data or something, I can't remember.
>Asks students what they know about anime
>mfw
>Classmates are confused as fuck

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but that was really embarrassing especially because he was looking directly at me while speaking.

>> No.6442043
File: 129 KB, 1280x720, Chuunibyou_demo_Koi_ga_Shitai_02_Yuuta_Togashi,_Kumin_Tsuyuri_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

More appropriate character

>> No.6442053
File: 732 KB, 320x226, Nonono.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My family still thinks I'm a weeabo.
>Other family members ask my mom what to get me for Xmas
>Just get anon some anime stuff, they will like it

I grew out of it 5 years ago and I still get shitty knock off anime stuff for Christmas

>> No.6442058

>>6442053
I got Soul Eater and Hetalia stuff for Christmas that same year too...

>> No.6442070

>>6442058
Luckily I'm an "artist" now so now everyone just gives me money to help with my "starving artist life"

>Is actually making more money than most of the family a month

Which makes me feel guilty so I use that money to buy them presents next Xmas.

>> No.6442090

>>6442070
What do you do? (Artists can make money?)

>> No.6442100 [DELETED] 

>>6442070
Congrats on your success anon! I'm 2nd year as an animation major and I am shitting my pants about applying for internships/learning how to freelance.

>> No.6442106

>>6442053
>>6442058
>wah, mommy and daddy don't be me what i want!!!

>> No.6442109

>>6442106
>get*

>> No.6443628

To this day my sister still thinks I'm into mall-gothy stuff. I grew out of it when I was 14, and I'm 20 now, yet she hasn't picked up on it. So even though I've told her hundreds of times that I'm just not into that sort of thing, she still buys me shitty lace wrist cuffs, studded bracelets, and giftcards to hot topic. I'm not sure if it's because she just doesn't listen or she refuses to believe that I'm not her little baby sister that's into weird gothy stuff anymore. Either way, it's kind of embarrassing to get gifts like that and have to smile awkwardly and thank her for something I'm never going to wear in front of my friends and the rest of the family.

>> No.6443684

>>6442090
>>6442100
Technically I'm a computer artist, but I've taken on more PA roles along with tech support. It's a job that I can sit, eat a snack, and not rip my hair out trying to explain why something isn't working.

>> No.6443688

>>6442106 Read >>6443628

>> No.6443828

>go through massive weeb phase ages 11-14
>be 23
>watch maybe one series a year
>mom still tells every asian she meets how I love "annie-may"

>> No.6443910

My family still thinks I'm 10 in general, and stupid. Its like they refuse to believe I've changed, and know little about me. It gets tiring when people try and project a image on you that your not. Oh well, I'm pretty much in the process of cutting them off, as I've never felt respected or felt like I was a member of the family anyway.

>> No.6443934

>Failing Biology (because my biology teacher misplaced my work A LOT)

>2012
>i failed because of the teacher, not because i'm a poor student
get fucked

>> No.6443947

>be into art
>specifically realism
>mom tells everyone I draw anime

T-thanks mom...

>> No.6443948

>>6443910
I hear ya buddy.
My parents are going through a divorce and whenever I bring up finances and child support for my younger brother, my dad shouts at my mother saying things like "WHY ARE YOU TELLING THE KIDS ABOUT THIS?!"

I'm 22.

>> No.6443952

>>6443688
I'm not baww'ing about it. It's slightly embarrassing to get a choker for a birthday gift and everyone be like "wat" while my sister is beaming about how she's done such a good job for picking something that's "my style". It's not like I'm omg mortified by it. I guess it's more awkward than embarrassing now that I think about it. Still, isn't this thread supposed to be anecdotal stories about things that are potentially embarrassing? Why the hate?

>> No.6443978

>>6443952
Dat feel when this happens every xmas/bday....
Makes me wonder if my family even knows me at all?

>> No.6444001

>>6443947
God damn do I get this.

>draws
>is Asian
>aims for realism and specifically avoids drawing overlarge eyes and large heads, since the manga style doesn't swing for me
>told by a friend that I draw anime

>> No.6444004

>>6443828
I know that feel... I'm so sorry.

>> No.6444163

>out of my weeb phase for a good decade
>family friends host a Japanese student for 2 weeks
>my mom tells everyone I can speak Japanese and tells the kid I love anime and stuff
>doesn't think to mention this to me until he's gone back to Japan
>horrified I cannot correct the impression I am an insane yellow fever weeb

The strange thing is that during my weebiest phase, I never, ever claimed to be able to speak or understand Japanese besides a few random phrases "hello" "goodbye" "Excuse me" "I'm sorry" and my favorite anime catchphrases. Mom, you made me into more of a failure than I really am!

>> No.6444193

>"Cousin Anon reads for fun!"
>Let's get her twilight.
>And barbies.
>I was 17.
>What the fuck.

I'm glad they never caught on about my weeb nature. But still, I had to tell then thank you and i'll read it, when I had already and was toughly unmoved. Then for every major gift giving holiday, I got sequels. And fan gear. And my shit of a cousin constantly teases me about it, even though I have told all of them I don't consider twilight a human contribution worth considering. What the fuck. I'm already setting up an ebay account for the blu-ray pack of the movies I'm sure to get this year. I love my uncle, but it's his shit of a kid that is pulling the strings.

>> No.6444212

>Touring an Art School
>Dad tells my tourgroup, "She's really into anyme (anee-mee) and mango! She draws a lot of that!"
>I audibly slap myself in the face
>Akwardly try to cover
>"Haha, Dad, not for a few years now!"
>Now I feel like a bitch for shaming my dad
>Haven't for a good five years
>I draw/paint fantastical realism.
>But I am now the weeb of my tour group.

>> No.6444223

>>6444212
I cringed for your dad, why is it those little off-hand accidental comments that make you feel like a worthless wretch of a human being. I wish I could take back all those little petty things I've said over the years that make me feel guilty to this day.

>> No.6444236

>>6443828
me too anon
i'm pretty sure all of my dad's japanese coworkers think i'm a massive otaku or something

>> No.6444244

>>6444223
I feel especially terrible because after all these years, I find my dad has asbergers. So of course I mentally scroll through all of these moments where he says little embarrassing things and screws up socially, and I'm like, dammit dad you deserve so much better of a child.

But I love my dad. He talks like Lincoln, has a completely abstract sense of humor, and a profound appreciation for pranking squirrels. Even if I need to translate for him sometimes.

>> No.6444250

>be 12
>call self yumi-chan
>say "ohayou" to everyone every morning
>"nyaa"
>mfw "most likely to be anime director" in middle school yearbook
people still bring that shit up like 6 years late.

>> No.6444328
File: 311 KB, 590x548, Hrmm.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be a huge fucking weeb at age 12
>Grow out of it at 14, still a big anime fan (even now at 23), but learn to hide powerlevels
>still get shitty "HOW TO DRAW EXTREME KARTOON KHARACTERS: MANGA" books for christmas from my dad until I'm 18

I actually got a kick out of those books by laughing at their shittyness. So thanks dad, it was a good gift after all.

>Mom feels obligated to tell everyone I love anime/manga, also obsessed with making me more social
>Meet her friend's daughter after she's made it clear that "SHE LIKES THAT ANIME STUFF TOO YOU COULD BE THE BESTEST FRIENDS~~"
>"so.. do you like.. anime?"
>"no"
>she just watched sailor moon for a while a few years ago and is super embarrassed for it and now thinks I'm a freak
>thanks mom

also

>Buy a manga book for a friend who's become pretty interested in that stuff
>Forget that normal teenagers aren't as sexually numbed as us so buy her a ranma book since I thought it's light-hearted and funny enough for a starter
>she's traumatized by akane's bare breasts and ryouga seeing them and chews me out for giving her such bizarre stuff
>she starts hating manga
>damn

>> No.6444340

I used to run around the store/parking lot/everywhere like they did in Naruto. It was a dark time.

>> No.6444342

>>6444340
How did you not face-plant?

>> No.6444347

> "my daughter is into that cossuplaying stuff! And Annie may."

Thanks mom. That is so what I need the random cashier at the grocery store to know.... Least they give me money for Xmas/bday for fabric, I suppose.

Though for my other relatives anime = hello kitty? So I have a ton of hello kitty stuff that I sometimes pawn off to my friends,

>> No.6444355

>>6444328
I know that feel.

My mother bought me a how-to-draw Magical Girl! And Friends! and a Yaoi! guides. I was 15 and drew better than the books. She then wanted for me to explain, in detail, what "yah-oy" was. I don't even like yaoi.

>> No.6444378

>>6442053
My family gives me lots of "wa" shit. Like, thanks Aunt X, I really needed that 10th origami set and kimono-fabric coin pouch and geisha girl notebook.
Annoying as fuck because we even all exchange gifts and mine is always "gift card to Sephora/Starbucks/department store/underwear store" simple as fuck, and then I end up having to cart home a load of Japanese-y shit to throw away

>> No.6444412
File: 568 KB, 250x167, 1352792376784.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My mom tells everyone that I am some sort of EXPERT COSTUME DESIGNER AND THAT I SHOULD START MY OWN COMPANY AND WORK FOR MOVIES! And this always leads to people asking me to make them things. I can only make costumes for myself and my construction is utter shit. I really hate explaining to people that I don't take commissions, it makes me feel like a bitch.

She also goes on and on and on about how I am going to go to this somewhat well known film school, but no mom. I only applied. I didn't get in. that is why I am not going there currently. Please stop making me feel like shit about it.

please.
I don't think my heart can take another person asking how I like it there.

>> No.6444470
File: 115 KB, 268x563, 1295845539459.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6443978
Ugh yes. When I was five or six my parents got me a kitten and I loved the shit out of that animal, which to my family apparently translates as "Anons loves cats, buy her cat-themed items forever!". I'm 21 now, and I have 30+ little cat statues. FAMILY, STOP.

In fact, all of the 'adults' in my life (family, old schoolteachers, parents' friends and colleagues) don't seem to understand that I've matured since being twelve years old or so. They still think that I'm a little mallgoth, that I want to become a mangaka, that I want to move to Japan. I guess the artsy little surly weeb is such an endearing stereotype that they refuse to let go of it.
Now that I'm actually working on getting myself properly edumacadated and planning for an internship in a different country, they're acting like I betrayed them by not telling them what was going on in my life. No, you just weren't listening!

Also my mum tells everyone I speak Japanese and can sew like a professional seamstress. I wish she'd brag about things I'm actually good at rather than things I wished I were good at when I was 12, but oh well.

>> No.6444563

My mother used to work doing research development and one day she went round to this little Japanese couples house to do a quick survey and upon realizing they were Japanese she began exclaiming how much her daughter (me) loved Japanese culture and in particular anime and manga.

Apparently they didn't understand what she was saying and ended up responding with "Yes, yes, we love mangos, very delicious!".

Oh mum.

>> No.6444644

My dad still likes to poke fun at me. Whenever we're watching a television show or movie where someone is totally awkward he lookes at me and says "hey! They can be in your anime club!" Or "they can be president of your anime club!"
And he does this infront of anyone. Friends, family, etc.

>> No.6444710
File: 85 KB, 400x460, 1339135726441.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>take vacation time to attend con, just a few days
>get back to work
>"Hey anon, where did you go?"
>"Oh, just (city of con)."
>"Yeah? What for?"
>"Just a convention thing, nothing amazing."
>Try to look as uninterested in discussing it as possible
>"Oh, cool! What was it about?"
>mfw they don't get the hint and I have to explain it away as a 'nerdy thing' or 'comics thing' because they wouldn't understand the concept of anime

Sometimes being friends with all 30-some people in the building is a downside when they ALL notice you've been gone. Repeat for every. single. person.

Though one time two people actually guessed it, and they were cool about it. One didn't like anime but thought cosplayers were interesting and said he'd go to a con just to watch people, the other has a daughter who watches anime.

>> No.6444725

>>6444710

This. Every time I go to con and have to explain where I was. The best is when they don't know what a comic convention is either, so I have to resort to "costume competition".

>> No.6445360

>>6444470
This. My entire family. I always loved cats and finally got one when I was seven. This translates to if there are cats on anything, I will love it. Sometimes this works, most of the time not. I think I've at least trained my mom to stop buying me clothes with a cat/kitten plastered on it.
Ugh, I'm going to have so many cat figurines/accesories when I'm old.

>> No.6445416
File: 250 KB, 500x280, rin.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be at work
>finished my tasks for the day
>decide to chill with the receptionists for the last fifteen or twenty minutes of my shift
>receptionists are talking about going to a party
>"Hey Boris, do you wanna come?"
>"No thanks, I don't really do parties."
>"AWWW WHY NOT????"
>"I'm not really a party person."
>they keep heckling me and heckling me about this party
>"Come on Boris!! It'll be fun!!"
>I have nothing in common with these people and I've heard all about their crazy party escapades in the past
>I already know what to expect going into this
>"No, seriously, it's cool."
>someone from the admissions department comes to the front desk
>"HEY BORIS WON'T COME WITH US TO A PARTY!!!!111!1"
>"Maybe she's just nervous?" says admissions
>no one understands that I just don't like crazy party environments and being surrounded by rowdy strangers
>"No, like I said before, I just don't really like that kinda thing--"
>"HEY BORIS MAYBE IF YOU WEAR ONE OF YOUR ANNIE-MAY COSTUMES YOU'LL FEEL BETTER???"
>mfw

>> No.6445422

>>6445416
Fuck those people.

Yesimad

>> No.6445424

>>6445416
I would've gone to the party. Sounds pretty fun.

>> No.6445427

>>6445416
ARE YOU RETARDED
Shit ANY excuse for me to wear my costumes to normal shit I'll jump on.
Not even for a nerdy reason, I just love seeing reactions.

>> No.6445428
File: 29 KB, 387x480, kamille huff.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6445424
You go ahead and do that then, I like to go out and mingle on my own terms.

>> No.6445437

>>6445427
I don't get jollies out of being singled out and stared at like that... It just makes me feel uncomfortable. I wear my cosplay to conventions and cosplay gatherings only.

>> No.6445442

>Everyone knows I'm hard to buy for so usually just give me some money
>One aunt still likes to buy me things and knows I'm into that 'Japanese stuff'
>Gets me Chinese cookbook
>Never liked any Chinese food.

She got me a wok too though which has been useful, I love her for trying.

>> No.6445451

>applying for fashion school, mom is together with me
>"Oh, anon loves anime! She's always dressing up for conventions. She also loves lolita fashion!"

I have only cosplayed once in my life and now I just go to conventions to sell things. The lady we were talking to was very interested in lolita fashion and had me show her some brands. I was mortified.

She also recently connected with an old friend of hers. I used to hang out with her daughter when I was younger. My mom found out that the daughter cosplays and likes anime and thought we'd be the best of friends. She linked me to her facebook...

>shitty crossplay
>Hetalia everywhere
>^___^
>homestuck
>lol yaoi omg

Since she pushed it a few times, I finally let her know that I don't really think we'd get along. She told me I'm being a grump by shutting people out of my life so fast.

My mom knows I'm a quiet person, I don't know why in the world she thinks just because I have similar interests with another person that I'd suddenly be accepting of them bouncing off the walls "nya"ing everywhere.

>> No.6445454

>>6442053
liking chinese cartoons doesnt make you weeaboo

>> No.6445461

>>6444244
>a profound appreciation for pranking squirrels
your dad sounds like a fucking legend

>> No.6445468

>>6444340
only the weebiest of weebs did this. congrats on overcoming this dark, dark time anon

>> No.6445480

Is OP's picture MK Asante? That guy came and spoke at my school. Funny as hell, he is.

>> No.6445486

>>6445451
Ugh, my parents are the same way. Every time my mom has a friend whose kid likes anime she tries to make me be friends with them even though they're weeby teenagers and I'm in my 20's. And my dad's thankfully long-distance gf's kid was a gigantic weeaboo when we met and I wanted nothing to do with her. Same for a kid of one of my mom's ex-boyfriends.

Luckily I haven't had to see her in a couple years, maybe she grew out of it.

>> No.6445519

>>6445480
no, it's tyler the creator.
also, protip: sage when you are posting something off-topic

>> No.6445540

How's it going?

Story of my life.... I've had one hell of a weeaboo experience too, although I don't know what to make of it.

Parents were always at work, and they weren't exactly the kind of people to get into any hobbies of mine (thankfully). Siblings who are practically a generation ahead of me still think that I want to go to Japan, but eh. It annoys me, especially when your sister can't even pronounce Pocky right (she call it Pokey... oh the chagrin....), but I should get to making fun of them. Humor always works! heheeh

I'm still into anime, although I'm more of a designer and artist who likes the style and applies cultural context wherever it's necessary. Not all people with huge bright gem like eyes are Japanese.... much to my chagrin of knowing people still like stereotyping. I still live in the 90's when it comes to anime, but I don't spite everything that comes out nowadays. I just have a specific vision and goal to achieve.

>> No.6445542

>>6445540

Anyways, I used to hang out with a group of weeaboos in high school- Happily it was third year and I only hung out with them at the end of the year, and transferred out during summer.

I had fun with them, we didn't pretend to be anime characters, but some of them turned out to be sad and something of headcases- One dancer girl always complained about not ever seeing Japan and got fat over the years, another had really crappy artwork that I pray to gods above that she improved, and the leader of the pack was this pudgy fat white kid who had an air of douchebag around him; he always wanted to look cool and chic by claiming to know what Japanese words were even if he didn't know the fucking Japanese alphabet and lexicon (he even claimed Weeaboo meant Hardcore Anime Fan. I fucking rolled my eyes.)

There were these extra hot girls who weren't headcases hung out with us too, and I never saw them again, but it's great to know that there are cheerleaders who are into anime too! Hope they're doing really well myself.

Also, protip, if one's music playlist includes DOMO ARIGATO MR ROBOTO, tell them to fuck off and get as FAR as you can from them. That's a giveaway sign for Douchebag Weeaboo at 12 o clock- Attempts to be Japanese through hearing that song is just fucking pig disgusting. Pudgy white dude who I used to hang out with played that song because he didn't know anyother Japanese songs- Man do I just want to fucking berate and make fun of him so badly now....

>> No.6445562

>>6445542

Any noteworthy chagrin inducing topics here....? It's coming back to me.

Oh yeah, and they were Gaia Weeaboos, and really loud and obnoxious, and the fat blond guy always told me to be like Homer Simpson, shave my head bald and get fat and all. I could tell the faggot wanted some punching bag because he was a fucking loser who forgot his balls at home- I fucking have a history with low self esteemed wannabe geek bullies.

Every now and then when I ride the bus, I see the guy at the transit station. He's only gotten fatter and I don't think he has any friends anymore. Pity, really...

>> No.6445567

Damn, I used to be the loudest, most outspoken weeaboo ever, but I learned to minimize or completely hide my power level. My family, however, can just not fucking catch on. Someone mentions anime, even in passing? "HAHA, you should talk to Anon! They're like, an anime expert!" Some American cartoon drawn in anime style is on TV? "Anon, you would LOVE this!" My parents think I'm going to move to Japan, learn Japanese fluently, and draw comics as a career because I said I was 8 years ago, but God, people change. I love them, but they don't understand how embarrassing it is to be thought of as the weeaboo.

>> No.6445573

>>6445562
you're trying to make yourself look better in compared to these people but you read 100% pretentious asswipe

>> No.6445608

>>6445573

hahaha.... You mad, bro? Sounds like to me you're either one of these weeaboo assholes. Not my fault my memory's all crappy.

Also, learn to grammar, underage b&.

>> No.6445634

>Mother
>Every other day
>"You can't finish your thesis because of those cartoons"
>"You have nightmares because of those movies"
>"You don't have any objective in life because of those japanese things"
>"You don't have an appropriate hobby like everyone else because of the japanese"

My life in this house is hell.

>> No.6445646

>>6445562
>>6445608
Yeah no. Different anon and you sound just as much if not more of a loser than whatever weebs you're ragging on.

Sorry to burst your fragile bubble, there.

>> No.6445656

>>6445360
Our families are trying to turn us into crazy cat people! I feel bad about getting rid of gifts but if this shit continues I will seriously have several surfaces in my home completely covered in cat statues. If I visited someone with a fuckton of cat statues I'd probably assume they were a bit off.

>>6445416
Those people are assholes and don't let anyone tell you differently. Fuck 'em.

>> No.6445663

>>6445646

Why? I just feel pity on the broken of the group if anything. They all did it because it was shallow as shit- I participated in it, but I didn't make it my daily ritual. I wasn't looking to be cool or groundbreaking as they wanted to be.

Again, most of them were pretty sane and grew out of it too. But the rest.... damn man.

>> No.6445671

>>6445540
>>6445542
>>6445562
>>6445608
I don't think you've matured as much as you think, anon.

>chagrin chagrin chagrin

>> No.6445684

>>6445663
Because you're a condescending asshole.

>I'm still into anime, although I'm more of a designer and artist who likes the style and applies cultural context wherever it's necessary

And trying waaay too hard.

This thread is about family/friends who think you're still a weeb despite growing out of it. If you want to rag on weebs >>6443178

>> No.6445687

>>6445608
>learn to grammar, underage b&
Are you kidding? Your own English sucks. 'Pretentious' is a perfect way to describe your posts here so far. You seriously sound like a weeaboo horror story yourself.

>> No.6445688

>>6445684

FUCK

Sorry for the shit I've caused. Later.

>> No.6445689
File: 495 KB, 499x328, scarecrow.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6445671
>Using big words without understanding their meaning

>> No.6445720

>>6445427
No, Anon, you are the retards.

>> No.6446405

>>6442022
>(because my biology teacher misplaced my work A LOT)

Yeah right.
When something like that happens once you shrug it off. When it happens twice you keep track of your assignments and your completion of them.
When it gets to the point of lowering your grade you speak to the teacher's superior immediately.

This is why I raise an eyebrow to anyone who says their grades or not their fault.

>> No.6446872

>>6445562
looks like somebody just learned the word chagrin

>> No.6447167

>>6446872
I lol'd

My parents super jugde me based on who I was when I was 8. It's at the point where they don't acknowledge me as an adult. I moved back home for a short time because I had crazy depression and anxiety problems and they sat me down and told me that was impossible.
My aunt keeps giving me these chinese gifts, but I think they're all just re-gifted from an asain co-worker or hers. Most of them are really pretty and handmade but I don't have much of a place for fancy oriental stuff in my decor. @.@

>> No.6447319

I don't understand why so many of you are complaining about the gifts your family gives you. To me, just the fact that they're thinking of me and trouble themselves with getting a gift is enough. I've never thrown out a gift either and don't think I ever could. We are different people, however, and I realize not everyone thinks the way I do.

To make this thread relevant, I'm not very embarrassed about my weeaboo phase anymore. It happened, and that's that. Lots of pre-teens/teens go through those phases, and I don't see the point in dwelling on it. If anyone brings it up, I just agree and move on.

>> No.6448301

>>6445416
That fucking feel. My friends wanted me to go with them to some skanky club with them and dress all skimpy. I kept saying that it's just not my thing to sit around chatting with rihanna and LMFAO blasting my eardrums or be grinded on by strangers, and they all thought I had some sort of social issue or I was nervous or intimidated by being in that kind of environment. Young people now days are just so extroverted and don't understand how one just wants to spend their time doing things don't involve being loud and outgoing.

>> No.6448334

>>6447319
It's not so much the gifts themselves, it's what they signify, which is that your close friends and family still think of you as a 13 year old embarrassment. People always say it's the thought that counts, but when the thought is "anon probably hasn't changed in 10 years" it can feel a little alienating.

>> No.6448337

>>6448301
>young people these days
how did you get to a computer in the nursing home, grampa?

>> No.6448338

My weeb phase came and went pretty quickly as I matured pretty fast during my early/mid-teens. It was mainly ages 11-13, as I started coming on to /a/ after that and learned the virtue of a hidden power level.
>Age 15, my parents and I go to Japan, partly to visit some family friends that I'd never met
>Watch anime a lot less, not following any current series, mostly watching classics
>Still very interested in Japanese (traditional) culture, history, language etc
>Know enough Japanese to order for us at restaurants and get the basic gist of what most people are saying, but no more
>Mom tells family friends I'm fluent in Japanese
>Tells them I'm really into "manga and kimonos and stuff", telling them about my "huge anime collection" (three Ghibli movies)
>ohgodmomstop

I was really embarrassed about it because she was basically painting me as a gigantic weeb, despite my efforts to hide my past shame.

>> No.6448341

>be senior in HS
>passed a weeb phase that ended mid junior year
>Secret Santa during December
>Get Awkward Valedictorian Korean I'm pretty sure is gay Guy
>find out from my friend that he asked what anime I liked
>mfw
>the rest of the story is that she said I didn't like anime, he panicked, and in the end, got me a cookie, a shirt from Hollister, and something else I can't remember now. It was hilarious.

Very tame incident, but this sort of shit makes me glad I started a new life in college without knowing anyone at all from my HS.

>> No.6448348

>be in 12th grade (last year of regular school, for the /int/s)
>interested in joining art club due to lots of spare time
>walk into art room
>observe foot tall statue of hatsune miku
>somebody built a foot tall statue of hatsune miku
>out of plaster
>her twintails are dripping
>turn 360 degrees and walk away
>never go back

>> No.6448365

>>6448348
>turn 360 degrees

You're back where you started.

The correct term is "Did a 180".

>> No.6448368

>>6448365
>the joke
>
>
>
>
>
>your head

>> No.6448370

>>6448365
I was referencing an old /v/ meme.

>> No.6448374

Kinda.
>in anime club (shut up.)
>secret santa
>pull name and get the most awkwar dude in club
>check the list to see what he wrote down
>some manga
>I buy the first volume, wrap, and I'm hoping he likes it
>at club, time to open gifts!
>excitedly wait for him to open it.
>he opens it
>grimaces
>"I already HAVE this one."
>tosses it on the desk
>" which did you want?" Asks a club member
>"the latest one :/ "
>felt sad...he didn't say which volume to get

>> No.6448379

>>6448368
Oh...
A joke...

told in an unfunny way...

>>6448370
Post the /v/ meme and maybe I'll understand.

>> No.6448389

>>6445451
>>6445486
My mom tries to set me up with every anime person too. Its annoying.

>> No.6448390

>>6448379
>unfunny
>maybe if you post it ill understand
How was your summer?

>> No.6448393

>>6448379
The joke is that somebody asks why the xbox 360 is called the xbox 360, and then answers it with "because when you see it you just turn 360 degrees and walk away".
have you seriously never encountered this before?

>> No.6448394

>>6448374
That's so rude. Even if you hate a gift, you still smile and thank the person. It's not like you had to get him anything; he's not your brother.

>> No.6448398

>>6447319
Its not the gifts that are the problem, its the fact that the people giving them don't take the time to see that you've grown and changed as a person. They hang on to some young version of yourself and forever force that image on you. Its a really shitty feeling when everyone around you tries to push something your not. I know its not intentional, but it sucks all the same.

>> No.6448399

>>6448390
Well,I didn't spend it on /v/.

So how is it funny doing a 360 and then walking away? Did he walk back away? Or walked past it? Because seriously, there was an argument back in February regarding the stupid use of 360 degrees complete with diagrams.

>> No.6448401

>>6448393
nope.

>> No.6448406

>>6448399
it's funny because everyone knows it's wrong, okay?

>> No.6448407

>>6448393
>>be in 12th grade (last year of regular school, for the /int/s)
>>interested in joining art club due to lots of spare time
>>walk into art room
>>observe foot tall statue of hatsune miku
>>somebody built a foot tall statue of hatsune miku
>>out of plaster
>>her twintails are dripping
>>turn 360 degrees and walk away
>>never go back

I don't see the joke here or the reference to a XBox 360.

>> No.6448413

>>6448406
Not the guy you're replying to.

I know it's wrong and I don't see the humor of it.

>360 walk away

Stupid and not funny.

>> No.6448416

>>6448407

>>turn 360 degrees and walk away

>> No.6448422

>>6448407
>>6448413
holy shit it's like a fucking autism convention
it's just a stupid meme, and I extremely regret using it.

>> No.6448421 [DELETED] 

>>6444470
Yeah, I used to be really into LOTR, in like 200. When I was 11. Now I'm pretty bored of it and think the books are pretty bland. Important to the genre, but bland.
I still get LOTR calendars and stuff like that for Christmas all the time.
I guess your family thinks your personality is set by the time you turn 10 or something.

>> No.6448424

>>6448416
It's not funny. I find it misused.

>> No.6448428

>>6448407
>>6448413
Ever heard of things called "internet memes"? No? What are you doing on 4chan?

>> No.6448433

>>6447319
This is the way I see it. Let's say your parents got divorced. They don't talk to each other, they've moved on with their lives, they might not be fighting, but they certainly don't love each other anymore. You wouldn't buy them a tandem bicycle, would you? That would be tantamount to announcing, "I don't care enough about you to bother actually picking something you are currently into." People are taking exception to the lack of interest in them that's shown by people buying them things that have to do with hobbies that (according to this thread) they have emphatically rejected.

>> No.6448432

>>6448348
>turn 360 degrees and walk away
meme for Xbox
>never go back
contradicts above

>> No.6448436
File: 11 KB, 245x407, 360_moonwalk.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6448428
Now if he used "moonwalked away" like pic,it would be funny.

>> No.6448438

>>6448428
Because I have a life outside in the real world.

>> No.6448441

I guess I'm still a weeb at heart... I love all anime related presents I get. I love it even more that people go out ot their way to get them (it's hard to find most stuff in my country) But maybe that's because I get awesome presents, like interesting DVDs and rare artbooks.

>> No.6448444

One year my aunt got me volume 1 of Naruto.
The same thing she had gotten the year before.
I made her a hat. Thanks.

>> No.6448442
File: 36 KB, 630x504, fitted.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6448436
or

>> No.6448446
File: 53 KB, 640x553, xbox-demotivational-poster-1233002886.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6448442
bumping for the retards

>> No.6448448
File: 122 KB, 500x513, 4f94fc25146f4facebook-dummies-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6448446
I'd post more but I believe you guys can search yourselves for idiocy.

Captcha: knowit alls

>> No.6448459

>>6448448
>>6448446
>>6448442
Somehow I feel vindicated. Thanks.

>> No.6448467

>>6448438
Then why are you here again? You really don't have to spend a lot of time on chans to bump into memes... And it would've taken you about 5 seconds to google it yourself. Shoo!

>> No.6448474

>>6448467
Because I'm to lazy to google stuff. I'm here because I'm a weekly contributor. And statistically speaking,you can spend a whole month,24/7on 4 chan and still miss seeing 4 memes.

>> No.6448490

This conversation on memes reminds me of the local chan or the anime facebook groups... "boo, I'm olderfagger than you, go check ur memes, so randum, were anonymus huehue"

>> No.6448508

>>6448490
in my defense i didn't know i was going to start an autistvalanche. sorry for shitting up the thread

>> No.6448507

Slightly veering off-topic, but I get shit like this.

Senior Year, bitches at school award me with the psuedo superlative "Most Likely to Move to Japan" (... Even at my top Weeaboo stage I never wanted to live there.) Naturally I fucking hightail it out of home town after high school. I went through a brief oh god weeb cleansing phase in art school freshman year. This happens to pretty much any kid who goes through art school and survives past the first semesters. Study in Japan for a bit, but also learn about French comics, etc. Graduate as still anime kid, but rounded out with other geek things and am more into manga as a medium and other comics so hooray?

Lived overseas a year- not Japan, but in the pacific. Shit happens, fuck you immigration. Come home to hoard money and work. Now I remember why I never wanted to come back here.

Every single. Fucking Person I run into from high school, teachers, kids...

"Hahaha, you used to be so into that annie-may stuff. Now you look normal!"

...Nope, bitch, just figured out how makeup worked, how to hide my power level and function like a member of society.

>> No.6448511

>>6448490
I feel it man. I feel it.

Plus oldfagger usually is a 12 yr old.

>> No.6448514

I seriously think we should stop using austistic in the demeaning way. Since it has been proven people with this mental "Handicap" are specially gifted but cannot focus properly.

>> No.6448516

>>6448514
I can't tell if your joking anymore.

>> No.6448524

>>6448516
Same as above 360. Can't tell if it's a joke or pure stupidity.

>> No.6448539

>>6442106
It doesn't sound like it's so much that as it is that their family isn't in tune anymore with what the anon likes anymore, which is sad, honestly.

>> No.6448548

>>6444470
>Also my mum tells everyone I speak Japanese and can sew like a professional seamstress.

Same. I did a little bit of sewing in high school and occasionally dabble in it but whenever I see relatives it's a constant stream of "Did you make that? Did you make that? How about that? I understand you sew all your stuff!" I've sewn maybe six things and haven't worn anything I've made in three years or so.

Also I never did dress like a mallgoth but I liked the old Hot Topic. In like 2004. I'm still receiving shoddily-made minihats and shit from distant relatives (who I can't blame much since they don't see me and are just being nice) but also from my in-laws who I used to live with and still see several times a year.

>> No.6448552

>>6445416
Ugh I hate that when people try to convince me "you'll have fun!!! You need to live a little!" I don't fucking like crowds or loud music or beer or getting sweaty. I will never enjoy those things. I do not even enjoy those things when I am drunk because when I get drunk I get even more irritable and slovenly. Do people really think that heckling others about their preferences will make them change them???

>> No.6448573

>>6446405
I had a teacher in high school who did that ALL the time. I had him all 4 years and he was awesome otherwise but he wouldn't realize he'd lost the work unless you brought up all your zeroes with him.

>> No.6448656
File: 98 KB, 1280x720, 1337136649563.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I went through a strong weeb phase -- not to the point of larping in school or making a spectacle of myself, but buying merch and dvds and learning horrible Japanese slang. I fell out of keeping up with anime, but I did go on to specialize in Japanese theatre.

My family was bamboozled from day 1. They didn't know what it was besides "a cartoon" and didn't really want to know. (I never had "the yaoi talk" even though it was everywhere.) I put some titles on a list for presents, they showed the list to Suncoast, all was good. I get the feeling that, if pressured, they would have said "she's interested in Asia" and nothing further.

Then there's my aunt. Somehow, owning a hamster had translated into being obsessed with hamster paraphernalia. She tried to get me a HUEG clock with a fake hamster in it to bring to college. It was thankfully either broken in the mail or my mother, in her mercy, assassinated it when we weren't looking.

After reading this thread, I feel lucky.

>> No.6448720

Well, I don't buy them because of lack of funds, but I do love figurines. Probably the only weeb thing I own and I like it. Family would come in my room to see them, most would think they're nice. I'm a dude, and I don't even feel bad about it. I don't own ero figures at all, mostly good pose figurines. I have the Selvaria from VC, shit's amazing huge with a huge dildo lance.

Ah, also, I went full weeb for 2 days, talked to my friends about this show I watched, which was Paranoia Agents and Cowboy Bebop(never had watched it before) and was amazed. Nobody gave 2 shit, I kept it for myself. Bullet dodged.

>> No.6448885

>>6448474
Really sick of seeing the "too lazy to Google stuff". You don't sound indifferent. You don't even sound so lazy it's humorous. You sound like an annoying prick no one wants to hang out with.

>> No.6448954

>>6448552
I get the feeling that some of the people who are really pushy about it aren't entirely sure why they're supposed to like it either, but that's what they've been told they're supposed to do. Then when they encounter someone who does not enjoy those things and is perfectly comfortable with not engaging in these kinds of activities, it's distressing and confusing for them. A lot of social pressure-y things work that way. It's like when a girl who's always been told she needs to be hyper-feminine to be loved meets a girl who isn't interested in makeup and shit but still has a loving boyfriend... it's like someone is kicking at the very foundation of your worldview. So they must be wrong! I don't want to reevaluate my way of thinking, they're the ones in the wrong!
Of course some people genuinely don't understand at first that someone doesn't enjoy the same things at them, but they're not usually as pushy and eventually accept your preferences. The ones that don't are asshats.

>> No.6449125

>>6443947
Ahahaha, I get that too. It's especially embarassing when she tells other artists that I draw anime, cuz it's such a shitty art form. They nod their heads in contempt, having thought I was a decent person before. Come on, mom. You know what Annie May looks like and that I don't draw it.

>> No.6449134

>>6448413

/cgl/ - where humour goes to die.

No wonder /v/ thinks girls can't funny

>> No.6449163

>>Family thinks I'm a weeaboo because of my love for manga in Jr.High
>>Far over that, now in collage
>>Can't stand people thinking I have yellow fever and love Japan
>>Start saying racist things about Asians to dismiss that
>>Now everyone thinks I'm racist

I don't know which is better. I wasn't overtly racist, just made jokes like "The characters all look the same, but so do Asians", or "I don't know how they can draw with their eyes half shut." Either way, I feel weird.

>> No.6449184
File: 1.78 MB, 333x194, 1353399140176.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6442053
My dad bought me an anime box set when I was younger. I don't think he realised it was 18+ for a reason, La Blue Girl Returns was pretty good as a kid.

>> No.6449197

>>6449163
I present to you all the king/queen of "trying to dig themselves out of a hole."

>> No.6449242

why doesn't anyone try to correct their parents? I don't understand. You don't have to be an asshole about it, just say "Hey, not really into X/Y/Z thing anymore. No that's not true about me" or something

>> No.6449342

>>6445461
Hell yes he is. Days of my childhood were spent watching squirrels assault peanuts glued to trees. Two or three nut-rats could pry with all their might for about a half an hour on one rouge peanut. Then there was the time he rigged an air horn to a birdfeeder, so that if anything larger than a bird landed on it, the horn would sound. The squirrels were not amused. When the neighbors complained, he said he was teaching them to fly.

>> No.6449355

>>6449242
see
>>6444212

In /cgl/ land, correcting someone in real life is being a bitch.

>> No.6449420

>>6449163

>collage

Kid, I think you need to go back to grade school.

>> No.6449460

>>6449355
Yeah, but she did that in public...

Maybe if they bring it up and they're not in a public setting.

>> No.6449668

>>6449197
Hey, do not call me a fucking weeaboo.

>> No.6449713

>>6445608
No, anon was right, you sound totally up yourself.
Most people that say things like 'chagrin' on 4chan threads do.
Not the time or place, 'bro'.

>> No.6449734

>>6445416
I feel so sorry for you... Luckily I work with nerds so they don't do the party scene. And if we do go out it's just drinks somewhere quiet

>> No.6449800

Hey /cgl/, quick, honest question:

what is a weeb to you?

>> No.6449813

>>6449800
someone who can't hide their power level

someone who can't discuss anime in a pleasant manner

>> No.6449824

>>6449800
anyone who likes anime

>> No.6449864

I'm a teacher and I have weebkids with supportive parents who feel its cool to ask me about cons and cosplaying and really teen-weeaboo topics whenever I see them.

No, I'm not a fan of English VAs and don't get your kids' addiction, no I do not want you to talk about my cosplay hobby while meeting with administrators aka my bosses who are very normal people.

Went through that "anime ripoff" art transition in college. My professors had no respect for even illustration in general because they're up their own asses with abstraction, but they loooooved to generalize that I'm copying some universal style since I had a slight slant towards manga aesthetics when I illustrated. It was so subdued, wasn't like I was copying Naoko Takeuchi by any means.

>> No.6449882

>>6449864
How did they find out in the first place?

I know what you mean about professors, though, I and every other illustrator I know get sneered at and talked down to by drawing/painting instructors for being any kind of illustrator at all.

>> No.6449909

>>6449882
Well, long story short, being a nerd sort of got me my job because of odd circumstances, but that's between me and one administrator. Plus, I teach the same brilliant, nerdy kids for four years so we do chat a bit.

But yeah, I regret not going to an art school proper. Universities are full of art professors stuck in the early-postmodern and think if something is painted clearly then it isn't demonstrating the ravages of your soul or some shit. But if you perfectly emulated someone like Dali then they praised you for being perfect at copying him. It was so hypocritical and broke me from art for a while after graduating.

>> No.6449930

>>6449909
>art degrees

>> No.6449943

>>6449930
Yeah well art degrees are mostly worth it if you go to a good school that gets you internships. Not so much my college unfortunately.

>> No.6449955

>>6449800

Weeaboo means Wapanese---a wannabe Japanese. Someone so completely socially maladjusted they recede into a fantasy cocoon of foreign cartoons and pornography, and unable to perform the most basic social interactions of speaking politely, bathing, and using indoor voices.

There also needs to be an element of idealization of Japan as a place where they will be loved, accepted, and understood, with a corollary that they are "better" than "normal" people for their communion with sacred Nippon. These delusions must be in direct contrast to reality.

They also must fundementally misunderstand an element of Japanese culture, such as believing everyone in Japan watches tentacle porn, speaking Japanese with incorrect pronunciation and inflection, or believe Japan is a complete victim in WWII.

>> No.6449981

>>6449909
Nah, same anon and I can promise you art schools proper are just as bad. All they care about is who can be the most postpostpostmodern and getting their students to win the most grants/scholarships/etc. That's about it. My school is supposed to be one of the best in my country but has jack shit for any hope of a gainfully-employed art pursuit post-BFA. Internships that are nowhere near your area of study are pretty much worthless. I feel you.

>> No.6449985

>>6449943
>art degrees
>opportunities
pick 1

>> No.6449991

>>6448885
Just like you.

>> No.6450011

>>6449985
This.
I seriously pity you graphic design kids that don't realize the term "starving artist" exists for a reason.

>> No.6450015

>>6445540
>your sister can't even pronounce Pocky right (she call it Pokey... oh the chagrin
Huh, I have a friend that pronounces it like that, but that's because her Japanese mother has always pronounced it that way.

>> No.6450013

>>6449985
Hell it's a lot of degrees these days. I went from Art to getting my graduate studies in English... at least it makes me seem more useful/employable to people who can't write for shit and need help.

>> No.6450165

>>6443828
when I was a wee weeb my dad told a Korean-born waitress about how much I loved Japan when I visited and how much I loved to read anime and watch manga, etc. She is learning Japanese! Her face said it all oh god.

I mean aside from the uncomfortable ALL ASIANS ARE SAMe thing

Korean/Japanese relations aren't exactly swell.

>> No.6450193

I have flashbacks of my weeaboos days in middle school when I use to write very shitty fanfiction and singing anime songs.

Can't I just erase those memories from my head please?

>> No.6450223
File: 73 KB, 800x1009, 1353619725539.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Everyone has more issues than me. I'm such a normal person. How will I ever fit in at a /cgl/ meet now?

>> No.6450402 [DELETED] 

>>6450011
>graphic design kids
There's your problem. Graphic design kids go for that degree because they can't draw and are dead set on being culturally significant. Now, pretty much anyone with adobe and a basic understanding of aesthetics can do their own graphic design, and it won't sacrifice petty, plebeian tings such as 'legibility' for art and won't be scrambled helvetica.

>> No.6450406

>>6450011
>>6450011
>graphic design kids
There's your problem. Graphic design kids go for that degree because they can't draw and are dead set on being culturally significant. Now, pretty much anyone with adobe and a basic understanding of aesthetics can do their own graphic design, and it won't sacrifice petty, plebeian tings such as 'legibility' for art and won't be scrambled helvetica.

Graphic design students go through school thinking they are guaranteed a job and their art is the most relevant and useful, and then the vast majority of them throw a passive aggressive tantrum when the world shows them they aren't pop culture creators.

>> No.6450619

>>6448413
>I don't see the humor of it.
>stupid and not funny

You sound like a fun person.

>> No.6451096

My friends and I shared a xanga(lol xanga) in 8th grade that was all Bleach fan fiction with us inserted into the story. Spelling and grammatical errors, they run rampant. I went and revisited it a few months ago for some laughs, so many flashbacks of dressing in "gothic lolita," which to my middle school self was a black blouse, a red and black pleated skirt from hot topic, combat boots, and a cross necklace. OH GOD WHY

>> No.6451116

>>6450165
My Dad promised me he'd "consider" taking me to Japan if I spoke some Japanese to the waitress at the Japanese steak house we were at. I'm super shy, but I wanted to go to Japan badly. So when she came with our food,
>a-arigato
And she just stared at me and goes, "What was that?"
And I had to repeat myself aboout four times before I had to says, "...It's Japanese for 'thank you.'"
and she goes, "OHHHHHH! I'm not Japanese, I'm Chinese!" and I died inside and never got to go to Japan.

>> No.6451140

>>6449955
>Weeaboo means Wapanese

Incorrect. Weeaboos worship anything Japanese and see Japan as the holy land of lolita, pocky, and kawaii bishies and magical schoolgirl adventures.

Wapanese is a term for a subcategory of weeaboo that dearly wishes they were Japanese. It's a combination of the words 'wannabe' and 'Japanese'.

>> No.6451161

>>6451140
You are an idiot. Wapanese is like "wigger." It's a combination of "white" and "Japanese," like "wigger" is a combination of "white" and "nigger."

Weeaboo literally means Wapanese.The word Wapanese was filtered on /bee/ for a while into "weeaboo," a nonsense word that owes its origins to Perry Bible Fellowship, a webcomic.

Weeaboo was the replacement for Wapanese. It is literally the same thing, you stupid retard newfag.

>> No.6451176

>>6451140
What are you smoking? The post below you explains it. Weaboo's origins are literally one google search away. I have no idea where you got that wannabe explanation.

>> No.6451180

>Mechanics of Materials lecture
>Friend who is in anime club with me turns to me and says "Hey, have you seen the anime Panty and Stocking"
>I go off on a tangent on that show
>Use the word "panty" and "anime" about 15 times in a min.
>Didn't notice that the professor stopped lecture and was staring at me
>Didn't notice that everyone was staring at me

I'm so glad I transferred for graduate school, or else I would still be known as "that guy who is obsessed with Hentai"

>Last year in lab
My iPhone's home button is broken so the voice control keeps popping up. If I don't silence my cell phone, voice control will pop up and will almost always play music.
>Working on calculations in lab for professor
>I have on a biohazard suit (we were studying radiation absorbency in different geo-materials)
>Cell phone starts playing caramelldansen.
>Everyone staring at me as I frantically rip a hole in my suit to get to my pocket.
>Get to cell phone about 40 seconds later.

>> No.6451209

>>6451180
Also,
Senior year in HS, ages ago
>Meatheads/jocks decide that LARPing is 'cool'
>They start a LARPing club as a novelty idea
>Spent hours making foam armor and weapons
>Message everyone on facebook for info
>Show up for 1st 'battle' in local park
>I'm the only one who actually took the idea as serious
>People have beer, no one is fighting, swimsuits, etc
Needless to say that Galodror the Knight did not fit in.
>laughed at

>> No.6451259

>>6451209
Oh...that sounds like fun though. Clearly these people were fools.

>> No.6453305

>>6449242
Because that makes us the assholes for shattering our parents' delusions and/or rejecting a gift (and they'll just 'forget' and do it again)

And some parents are just fucking ridiculous in their attempts to make everyone think their kid is yoonik/get their foreveralone kid some friends.
My mother used to do the same shit when she found out I was gay
("Hello random person in wallmart, I see you have a vaguely rainbowlike tie-dye shirt on. Anon here is a lesbian. Be friends now. Why arent you friends?")

>> No.6453376
File: 863 KB, 500x281, 1345576517315.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I killed my weeaboo. I killed him inside me, set his corpse on fire, burned it at an altar of remembrance and scattered the ashes across the seas so as never to see it resurface again. I keep my newly reborn inner weeb at bay and at check. I have a few animu interests in manga but I mainly just watch like anime comedies moreso then serious stuff. I used to be a big weeb back in the day. Now my interests are far more stable and tame. If something looks interesting I'll check it out but the moment I hear that stupid bitches high pitched, annoying voice or UGU I will murder baby birds

>> No.6453407

>>6451161
Except it isn't. You can be a weeaboo without being wapanese. I never thought Japanese DA SHEET during my weeb days, I barely gave a shit that Japan existed, I just loved my cartoons too much.

>> No.6453449
File: 265 KB, 1152x864, 1353992855077.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6451209

Those are some weird jocks. The jocks in my old hometown used to think stuff like playing counter-strike and FIFA was nerdy as hell.

Needles to say a kid that spent most of his time playing video games and liked pokémon above the age of 12 was seen as a pretty.... strange child. Oh boy did I get some funny looks.

>> No.6455190

>>6453407

You DID read the post where it explained that the word Wapanese got to be so hated it was edited to be weeaboo, right? They're the same fucking word. They mean the same thing.

>> No.6455267 [DELETED] 

In late high school I don't know which was worse, still getting Limited Too gift cards or anime merch. My dad bought me three Bleach hoodies and I don't even know the characters' names other than Rukia (since PT cosplayed her *perfectly*). I felt so bad telling him that I wasn't interested in them at all because he bought them on a trip so we couldn't return them. I think I regifted them to someone eventually.

>> No.6455274

>>6453407
No. They really do mean the same thing.
Maybe you weren't a weeb but just an asspie.

>> No.6455286
File: 37 KB, 300x366, 1323380836294.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>watch some anime in teen years
>never become a full on weab but did some cringe worthy shit all the same
>was part of anime club
>used to think it might be cool to be a voice actor
>did some VA workshops; no big deal
>years later; grew the fuck up
>working in the radio industry now
>don't even remember the situation now; but was introducing my dad to one of the producers at the time, essentially one of my bosses
>first thing out of my dad's mouth
>"YOU KNOW MY SON GOT INTO RADIO BECAUSE HE LIKES ANIME AND WANTS TO DO THEIR VOICES!"
>mfw

I can't help but think he did that shit on purpose.

>> No.6455287

>>6451209
Why the fuck didn't you check to see what everyone else was bringing before galloping out there as Sir Schuckington?

>> No.6455357

>>6445656
You can give them to me, holy shit I would love cat statues. I have 17 at my mom's.

>> No.6455359
File: 51 KB, 361x354, 1352878281050.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>was really big into shonen when I was younger
>draw a couple pictures of Goku
>Mom says, "WHY DOES EVERYTHING YOU DRAW ALWAYS LOOK SO ANGRY?"

Ha, joke's on her, I draw asscheek mousepads now.

>> No.6455366

>had a phase around 13 y/o where I would watch several korean drama
>be 18, my parents accompany me to shop for a new laptop
>vendor asks what do I use the computer for
> "Well she mainly watches a LOT of chinese series"
>mfw it had been years, and why the hell would you even say that for
>mfw when I almost said "KOREAN, NOT CHINESE"

The korean dramas somehow really stayed in their mind (not the mangas, nor the animes). They would tell everyone about it. And it came up in a conversation I had with them recently. And apparently they never realised it was subtitled, they thought I was simply watching it, barely understanding it. Wtf.

>> No.6455370

Oh god, suddenly I'm remembering last week...

>mother goes to a hairdresser nearby that works out of her house
>starts telling the hairdresser about how I like all sorts of fantasy movies/books
>books an appointment for me so I can give her a try, tells me about what she told the hairdresser
>go to the hairdresser because I haven't been able to book an appointment for myself lately because most other times I end up getting called in for work
>hairdresser has already decided she's found a kindred spirit in me and talks about Twilight the entire appointment
>I've never read a single book and I've only seen the first movie
>try to change the subject to many things, even to Harry Potter since at least I know that much
>nope, subject goes back to Twilight constantly and I end up having to guess my way through the conversation with what little knowledge I have hoping I won't reveal my dislike for it and she'll cut my ears off

THANKS MUM.

>> No.6455374
File: 50 KB, 500x333, 3lol.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6445437
>being singled out
>is tripfag

>> No.6455380

>>6448954
I've never thought of this, but that explains a lot of things

>> No.6455381

>>6455370
And on further thought, back about 10-12 years ago my aunty was looking after some Japanese students and she brought them to our place. I was just getting into anime so I barely knew any words in Japanese or how to pronounce them.

However, my mum had already told the entire family about how I loved anime and knew lots of Japanese. Upon walking in, my aunty grabbed me and asked me to translate for the students since they knew very little English. That was probably one of the most awkward afternoons of my life.

>> No.6455385

>>6450015
because it;s Pokki, so I guess its right both ways

>> No.6455387
File: 659 KB, 300x176, tumblr_md101kCaq21rh7q7jo2_400.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Was a big weeb up til Highschool
>Mom always made a big deal to everyone she met that I could speak Japanese
>Knowing a couple phrases is not speaking the language, thanks.
>She'd tell this to everyone and especially when we'd go out for sushi
>For my 25th birthday this year, she bought me spam and rice. Told me everyone in Japan eats this for breakfast.
>Tell her I've never had spam in my life
>She's surprised cause EVERYONE IN JAPAN EATS THIS FOR BREAKFAST

She still tries to get me to be friends with people cause they watched one anime in their life. She calls all my friends freaks because they must be if they like anime and cosplay. She's also married to a half Japanese man, so she acts like she's the expert on the culture.

>> No.6455457
File: 457 KB, 192x145, Iron eyes Cody.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Over weeb phase
>Still kind of into anime and cosplay but try to hide power level
>come home from college over break
>Mom: "I found a friend for you, she's pretty much the same as you!"
>'Friend': 15 year old with shittily dyed hair and Inuyasha necklace. First thing she says is "Taco with a mustache, cupcake with a mustache. I'm so weird teehee"

>> No.6455464
File: 596 KB, 990x1000, 1352781083687.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>go to con over weekend
>come back to work on Monday
>HEY ANON HOW WAZ YOUR WEEKEND
>make something up because it's literally impossible to describe any event that happened over the weekend having to explain it all

Like, I don't wanna lie, and I don't MIND explaining (I work in a training department of a company, explaining is my job) but they think of a convention as something companies make their people go to so they can show off and make business contacts, not because they'd WANT to.

It's hard to dispel that image, and then you add in cosplay and what is a "panel" and who's "homestuck" and "oh was Pikachu Girl there *emails me years-old Nigri picture*"

Short of building a goddamn slide show, I can't explain it so I mostly gave up.

>> No.6455476

>>6455464

I just tell people I went to a comic convention, hung out with geeks and bought lots of geek stuff. They go "Oh, like Comic-Con?" Because everyone watches The Big Bang Theory now, and I go "Yeah, like that." They now have all the information they were interested in and everyone is happy.

>> No.6455477

>>6455476
Tried it. I LIVE in San Diego you'd think this would be a no brainer to explain.

>> No.6455502

test

>> No.6455517

>I draw mechanical blueprints
>I watch animus
>parents think I am a struggling manga artist

fuck

>> No.6455522

>>6455457
>"Taco with a mustache, cupcake with a mustache. I'm so weird teehee"
allofmywhy

>> No.6455534
File: 7 KB, 266x200, gooby.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6455522
And every time she says stupid shit like that my mother expects me to explain, then is like "Wow, you two have so much in common"

Mother pls

>> No.6455537

>>6451161
PBF was actually syndicated in newspapers, so it's not exactly a webcomic.

>> No.6456115

>be quite weeb as a teenager
>hide powerlevel skillfully
>parents think i enjoy games and classic rock
>i do, but also enjoy anime, j-pop and cosplaying
>they don't know anything
>most people at high school don't know apart from friends
>get bought games that i ask for and stuff relating to the beatles, led zeppelin, the doors and pink floyd by parents
>become known as "guy who plays drums and likes the beatles" at school
I did not have a hard life in high school, not at all.

>> No.6456155
File: 49 KB, 300x300, 1326249384045.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Whenever I come to /cgl/, I feel a tad out of place and I sure as hell know why.The anime I watched as a kid wouldn't get me laughed at or ridiculed. UC Gundam, Code Geass, and GitS are well respected by normal people when you show them. Even cooler is that I watched martial arts movies and DB/Z/GT with my dad and got him to watch Afro Samurai (yes he's black)

>> No.6456185
File: 44 KB, 431x464, 1285657905674.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6456155
it's called having good taste and that's something fairly rare to see on /cgl/

>> No.6456227

Wow, I'm so grateful after listening to these stories.
My mom is just as much an introvert as I am, and doesn't mind me not hanging out with friends often or having 'weird taste'. She doesn't force weeb friends on me and has mananaged to forget my weeb-y phase. Though it was fairly loud and obnoxious...

>> No.6456243
File: 10 KB, 319x316, reaction.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6456155
>Code geass
>respected.

>> No.6456247

> be freshman
> hangs out with 'cool older kids' every morning in the school cafeteria
> they all squeal over yaoi and animus and whatnot
> one doesn't know what personal space is and doesn't understand pulling hair =/= acceptable
> another one brings their furry tail to school and chews on it while we talk
> other one claims they draw 'anime' but it just looks stylized?
The entire group is why I had a weeaboo phase at all.
Eventually I realized what freaks they were and stopped talking to most of them, though one managed to even her shit out so I talk to her often.

>> No.6456259

>>6456243
B grade story, bad proportions, bad grunt mechs, lead mechs ok, good action. Im currently watching the Area 88 OAV and LoGH

>> No.6456277

>>6456259
agreed with everything except bad grunt mechs, KMFs are sexy little not!armoredtroopers

>> No.6456335

>>6445634
I know that feel. Anything goes wrong in my life and my Dad automatically blames my cosplay/anime hobby.

>> No.6456981

I too went through a weeaboo phase, which included cosplaying in public, and in school. After my senior year I decided to call that shit quits unless it was a con or an event. Im glad thats over with, its pretty embarrassing. I just basically don't give a shit what I wear in public.

But I'm now a second year Japanese Major in college, I don't read manga and have little time for anime with all the homework, but I go to cons often. My mom works with some Japanese and tells them I'm fluent and that I love anime and tries to ask me Japanese so she can say things to them and its really embarrassing...

>> No.6457125

>>6456981
I don't know if you qualify as one of these people but I don't get the ex-weebs in these threads who completely overcorrect themselves. Like they make a point to clarify that they now watch NO anime or read NO manga and HATE sushi and got rid of ALL their shit. It makes them look like total mindless morons who don't realize you can have simple interests.

>> No.6457172

>>6457125
And while having "totally grown out of it", they still lurk here. Makes perfect sense.

>> No.6457182

>>6457125
Oh, I havent grown out of any of it. I still go to conventions and cosplay, I just cant do some of that as often as I like because of college. I didnt mean to overcorrect myself for it. I still collect stuff too. Im just not one of those "OMFG ANIMU IS SO GREAT" kind of people anymore thank god haha. I just still cringe seeing kids at conventions like that.

>> No.6457202

Kind-of embarassing memory (but it makes me laugh more than it makes me blush)
>be around 12
>slowly getting into mangas
>mom starts taking "the voice" for "the talks"
>"Dear, you know... I am not accusing you of anything... but you see I've been told that... they are actually some pretty -sexy- scene in those books. Not that that is wrong.. but being your age..."
>very embarassed, don't know how to respond (wasn't actualy reading hulehule manga, but still felt wrong because there were some -what young me thought were- racy scenes)
>very mature dad enters the scene "ARE THERE SOME BOOBS?"
> "Well, no... *blush* ..actually yes, they were. But, I swear she was only taking her shower!"

Somehow was very embarassed at the time, still laugh at this scene now.

>> No.6457210

>>6457125
Only slightly related but it's funny in my case, during my entire weeb phase I hated sushi. I've only started to gain a taste for it in the past couple years. I guess it's what they say about your pallet fully developing when you become an adult and gaining a taste for more bitter-salty things.

>> No.6457837

>>6448954
>>6448954
>>6448954
>>6448954

>> No.6457893

I have a lot of anime/touhou/videogame/vocaloid music on my ipod and my friends know it, but I have a playlist for english and popular music for when I play it around people that don't like that stuff. I put it on the ipod player for working out in gym because my classmates enjoy it but sometimes the ipod player fucks up and shuffles so I usually scramble to change it.

>> No.6458066
File: 69 KB, 390x310, 1330057793160.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6444644
That's amazing

>> No.6458078

>be twelve
>weeb, but hide powerlevels in day-to-day life
>get penpal
>POWERLEVELS OUT IN FULL FORCE
>I'M GOING TO LEARN HOW TO DRAW MANGA AND MOVE TO JAPAN AND HAVE A JAPANESE HUSBANDO SIGNED YOUR FRIEND ANONCHAN! ~
>corrispondence dwindles

>be 19
>not a weeb
>out with significant other
>suddenly
>ANOOOOOOOON-CHAAAAAAAN!
>what in the everloving name of the Lord
>it's penpal out of nowhere
>OH GOD SO LONG AGO
>DID YOU MOVE TO JAPAN
>DID YOU LEARN HOW TO MANGA
>partner is crying with laughter

Oh, my dark and mysterious past!

>> No.6458093

>>6444340
i used to do that when i was like 10

>> No.6458110
File: 57 KB, 800x584, 1296854009033.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Massive closet weeb at 11-13
>have a shit ton of manga 8 years later that I don't know what to do with
>hid it all in one of the closets in my apartment
>have new boyfriend over one day and hear him laughing when I'm in the kitchen
>mfw he stumbled on my collection

2 years later and he's still constantly calls me a weeb. He even went and told his family I'm obsessed with anime and manga. All of my tears.

>> No.6458141

>>6443828
d'awww that's so kind of you.
EVERYONE LOVES ANNIE-MAY.

>> No.6458148

I used to have a thing for Asian guys. Then I dated one.

>> No.6458158

My birth name is Annie-may *surname*.

In my weeb days , I loved it, now I make a concious effort to hide it.

I cannot run from my past.
*dramatic stare into the horizon*

Last year I asked my parents for books or camera equiptment,for xmas, showing them a list of what I was planning to buy anyway.

>gets me a prime lens! Wooopie!!
>One book on british politics that I asked for
>One book on anthropology I asked for
>New boots! fuck yeah!
>Makeup! fuck yeah!
>knitted jumpers ! fuck yeah!
> 1 Manga... In Chinese

okay well... thats fine, one slip up right?

wrong.

Enter: extended family

> ''HOW TO DRAW ANIME''
>NARUTO DVD
> Plastic lace handbag

I haven't been into Anime since I was 16.. I legitmately think my extended family just think ''ANNIE MAY, SHE'S INTO ANIME!!! LOL''

I tell them so many times that I'm not into animu anymore...why does this happen every year?

captcha : Bitterness wallet

>> No.6458160

>>6458148
I know the feels.
Nice idea in theory , until you realise you're just fetishizing an entire race and they will never live up to your sugoi standards.

>> No.6458201

>13 years old
>Discover Inuyasha
>Starting drawing, rping
>I'M GOING TO BE A MANGA ARTIST
>15, bit calmer, watched a bigger variety of series
>Wearing cat ears to anime club

:( I calmed down eventually...I still go to anime club in uni, but it's full of really chill and friendly people.

>> No.6458219

>in college, grew out of 12 year old weeb phase
>going to weekly /tg/ session with chill bros
>sewing under table because con is coming up
>make jokes like "That's so kawaii" when we're fighting screamers during BC
>friend tells me I should go to anime club
>walk past during a meeting, glass walls, girl is standing at the front of the room in a shitty hot topic coord, doing something with her hands (I think she was pretending she had paws).
>Some generic shonen playing in the background
>NOPE.jpg and go back to dorm.
>become known as the weeb of the /tg/ group

Feels pretty bad.

>> No.6458231
File: 10 KB, 386x378, 1313936658441.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6442022
>ultra super duper weeb in high school
>senior year had weird run in with marine corps but still weeb
>thought I was better than everybody else
>officer in anime club
>drop out of marines poolee program of course
>all sorts of shit
>now over 4 years later
>absolutely nobody recognizes me from high school (confident, /fit/, gf, whole shebang)
>hide my powerlevel obsessively

I have friends now that I've told and I still read a lot of manga but oh god I'm always terrified photos will surface of me in high school. I want to go back and beat the shit out of myself.

>> No.6458245

>>6444340
I still do it in water, it is actually fun to do, and the second-hand embarassement that my friends get still makes me laugh. But it always was more of an inside joke than a true weeb's idea.

>> No.6459596

>>6444644
To be fair, that's probably what I'd be like if I was a dad.

>> No.6459621

>Be 15, very interested in kabuki and Japanese fashion of all kinds, studying japanese
>Start dressing Gyaru/general cute jfashion inspired
>Family asks what my weird dress style is
>Tell them it's Japanese-inspired
>Three years later grandma still tells everybody that I'm japanese and going to move there

>> No.6459772

>Friend cross playing.
>See him talking to random people.
>Decided to sneak up behind him and be all creepy.
>It's not him.
>It's a real girl.
>Friend and my group are actually right next to them and I somehow didn't seem them.

>> No.6459778

>>6459621
Time travel is possible in the future. PT's your grandmother.