[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 219 KB, 500x352, tumblr_lbqqjaHE0p1qa3fgno1_500.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6900263 No.6900263 [Reply] [Original]

So I am a recent male sewer, and I've only just "started" learning how to sew for real. Patterns, fabric, machine and the whole nine yards. I am also male, with a pretty extensive background in crafts, so sewing was going to come around sooner or later.

However, I'm also encountering a surprising amount of friction from people trying to put me down for learning how to sew.

Is this a common "thing" for people? It was actually incredibly disheartening to be told to stop doing it from multiple people, and I guess I just want to know if others are going through the same thing.

>> No.6900266

Wow people are putting you down for learning how to sew?
You'll be able to make whatever you want on your own and it's something you want to do so it's dumb that they care so much.

>> No.6900270

>>6900263
Meh, typical gender thing. I was the only guy in my sewing class, but no one gave me a hard time for learning. There's nothing wrong with learning how to sew, simple as that. Regardless if you're a male or female.

>> No.6900606

>>6900263
Anyone worth your while will be more impressed than put off by your refusal to conform to that gender stereotype.

My boyfriend is learning to sew, and he's winning cosplay contests because he's so good at it. Once you're with the right group of people, they'll celebrate your talents, not put them down.

Also DAMN does it hurt to pin yourself. Manliness is not letting the blood get everywhere and continuing on. I think a lot of men just don't have the patience for something that requires so much time, articulation, and thought.

>> No.6900611

Gender stereotypes. You'll be made fun of. Same goes for girls that are into video gaming (and I'm not talking about the GAMUR GURL type) or anything else that goes against what is considered the norm.

>> No.6900640

>>6900263
My ex and his brother both sewed their own costumes. They'd often get weird looks or joking comments in fabric stores, or their craftsmanship questioned during masquerade judging ("Did your girlfriend make this? Did your mom make this? Did this girl in your group make this?").

Keep it up, OP, and ignore any naysayers. It's cool to learn new skills.

>> No.6900652
File: 1.65 MB, 150x111, 1364272330366.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>people are putting me down
How in the fuck do they know you are sewing, you squeaky voiced aspie? Do you just drop that fact by complete fucking strangers to score uniqueness points? Sew and shut up about it.

>people called me names
Get over it, you are a fucking adult male. At least pretend to act like one.

>> No.6900670

>>6900270
agreed with this. Sewing is something everyone should know--- at least the basics. Same with cooking and doing your own laundry. Teaching yourself how to sew is awesome and please keep going at it! There's something very rewarding about making your own clothing. armor, whatever.
I think people need to calm the fuck down about gender stereotypes.

>> No.6901262

>>6900263
Just going to parrot what everyone else says. Don't change yourself to suit obnoxious, sexist little shits. Sewing is something everyone should know how to do - it saves money, and affordable shop-bought clothes are so badly made since the recession (not to mention being able to improve the fit).

People who mock you for being a male sewer are either 1) people so uncreative that they require completely invented gender stereotypes (men in history knew how to sew because it is a useful thing to know how to do) to comprehend reality 2) jealous h8ers.

>> No.6901644

Hey OP, sorry to hear that so many people think that you picking up a useful skill is apparently something to be ridiculed.

I personally knit and occasionally get comments of 'that's weird' or 'isn't that for old grannies?' (I'm female). My response usually is: there's nothing more amazing than clothes/clothing accessories that fit you perfectly/custom made/unique. Especially gloves. Ohhhh, the feel of perfectly-fitted winter gloves...

Anyway, I commend your desire to learn and improve yourself and hope that I'll be seeing some amazing costumes from you in the future!

>> No.6901666

Has nobody ever heard of tailors?