[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 26 KB, 320x180, AniDub_Panty__Stocking_with_Garterbelt_01_RUS_JAP_1280x720_h264_Ancordmp4_snapshot_0922_20101007_012706.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7004673 No.7004673 [Reply] [Original]

ITT: post your cosplay group pet peeves

>be darked skinned, not black
>always forced to cosplay darker people
>even in my own groups

>> No.7004680

The fat girl who always wants to be the sexiest character.

>> No.7004692

the friend who always takes the main character or adds people to the group without asking

>> No.7004693

The ugly girl who wants to cosplay everything from every anime, regardless if she watched it.
And then wonders why no one wants to do those.

>> No.7004698

My sister and I seem like the only people that put effort in our costumes in our group. Everyone else always look like shit. Also, they always want our help.
>we never get to be main characters either. ;A;

>> No.7004709

That one friend who always calls dibs and HAS to be the innocent/kawaii princessy character but later complains about not feeling badass or sexy enough.

The fat girl who tries talking down to other girls in the group saying they have no "real woman curves" etc. while posting "weight loss progress" pics that literally show no difference.

>> No.7004715

>>7004673
I used to be the only person who could sew, so I'd get asked into groups just to make everyone else's costumes and of course I never got to pick who I'd be, it'd be thrust on me.

>That couple that ALWAYS has to be the protagonist and main love interest

>Kicks people out of the group for arguing with them or "losing their use"

>Gets mad when you cosplay from another series and more people are paying attention to you and asking for pictures, so they leave you in the hallway while you're posing and act like it's your fault no one wants their pictures

I am so glad I bailed on that group. IF YOU DON'T LIKE YOUR SITUATION, GET OUT. COSPLAYING ALONE CAN BE JUST AS FUN.

>> No.7004728

when people plan the cosplay group photo on the one day you didn't want them to, always.

>> No.7004739

>>7004698
>>7004692
Why does being the main character matter? (besides the attention) they are generally shit characters in comparison to the non main characters

>> No.7004746

>>7004715
I think everyone knows people like that. So annoying too, but glad you escaped. I'm currently treading carefully with my group which includes a couple like that.

>> No.7004798

bump

>> No.7004851

>>7004739
The MC has the best synergy with the rest of the cast and can help drive ideas for group/duo/trio shots. Also nailing the main character might be the pivotal point on having a group recognized.

As for me.

- People who fly off the handles about doubles or DEMAND being a certain character they might not be suited for
- When you're asked to join a group of people you don't know as well and get ignored for most of the photoshoot.

>> No.7004855

>>7004739
Not either anon you replied to, but I would guess that for them, it can get annoying if in the rare case someone other than the usual people want to cosplay the main character which causes friction.

I know in my group everyone sort of has a "trademark" character we usually end up cosplaying as. The 2 members who are a couple always cosplay the main male and female characters. One friend is usually the sexy tsundere, I usually cosplay the bishounen or comic/relief character, another short member is always the loli, etc.

For someone who doesn't usually cosplay their "trademark" it would shake up the balance. My group wouldn't be as hostile about it, but some people get very defensive about that stuff, you know? Some people would divide their group over a simple matter of someone wanting to cosplay the same character or a main character if that isn't their usual gig.

>> No.7006938

when you help make a person's cosplay and they give you absolutely no credit for it

>> No.7006955

>Get a wig
>ok
>Shows up with no wig

>> No.7006978

>finally get friend to watch psg
>she wants to cosplay stocking
>i want to cosplay stocking
>been wanting to cosplay stocking forever
>be the nice friend and let her be stocking
>;_;
pretty much happens with all the series i show her so i kinda just stopped cosplaying with her haha...

>> No.7006981

When you both want to cosplay the same character for a group and they say you can just have two of the same character
There can only be one.

>> No.7006982

>give tons of wig suggestions
>ends up with ugly ass inaccurate wig
>did you not hear what i said or

>> No.7007002

>Plan a cosplay group
>Everyone is super excited and knows how they'll tackle their costume
>Someone asks how to make shit essentially having to teach them how to do it all
>No else one finishes.

Digimon group in a nutshell :I

>>7004673
I feel your pain op. And I am black. Shit sux

>> No.7007189

>>7006978
similar things happened to me wow
>watch panty and stocking first comes out
>really love stocking, want to cosplay as her
>show the anime to a friend
>"lol xD stoking is just like me! i want 2 cosplay her so bad!"
>o-oh...okay
>let her be stocking
>ends out looking terrible

big regret
but yeah dont cosplay with her anymore

but also
>tfw you always have to cosplay the loli/small characters because young face and tiny body
>tfw you will never be a sexy badass chick
>tfw stuck in a never ending loop of loli cosplays
help pls

>> No.7007203

>>7006978
panty is the best though
plus she's not overdone at every con ever

>> No.7007225

>>7004739
It is amazing how little 'power' can go to someone's head and make them try to turn the group into an iron-fisted dictatorship because 'everyone knows the main character is the group leader guyzzzz'

>> No.7007235
File: 22 KB, 251x231, tumblr_inline_mmrc5bwjkM1qz4rgp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7007189
I know that second feel.
>tfw 5'2, barely B-cup
>tfw you'll never be Fran, Lisa Lisa, or Sailor Pluto

On topic:
>plan to cosplay with a friend
>can't fuckin' wait
>week before the con
>"Sorry anon, I can't go."
>dammit.gif

>> No.7007239

>Join a Devil Survivor 2 group
>only person in group that knows how to sew
>end up making virtually every costume

Anguished one shirt, MC Jacket, Daichi wig + scarf, Otome and helping my boyfriend make Yamato's jacket for HIS FIRST SEWING ENDEAVOR.

Never again.

>> No.7007246

>decide on cosplays with friend
>production starts
>they don't give much attention to details
>they're always looking to cut corners
>am the exact opposite
>try to help them but they don't heed any advice
>mine turns out better
>they get upset when no one asks for their photo

>> No.7007277

>>7004673
dat feel when I have no cosplay group and don't wanna join because don't wanna bother others asking how to sew ;_; I have some good friends but they're already in a cosplay group, and well, I don't wanna join theirs (I feel like it'd be more liberating to join a totally new one!)

oh well, I don't mind learning how to sew by myself at home ;_;, though my mom would wonder why I bought a sewing machine as a guy lol

>> No.7007675

>Ask bffs if they want to do _____ group cosplay with me
>They love the idea and we all get right on it
>Deciding on when to wear them at the con
>I tell them that I'm available all weekend except for saturday evening which is absolutely impossible for me
>"Let's do saturday evening!"
>"Yeah saturday evening is the best idea"
>"No guys aren't you listen----"
>Con-time, saturday evening
>Friends find me and bitch me out cause I'm not in costume yet
>
>
>
>

And then I stopped planning group cosplays with those guys.

>> No.7007688

One girl in my group constantly pisses me off

>Always has to be the main character
>Constantly tells me I'm too 'fat'
>Thinks she's master level cosplayerr
>Asks me for stupid advice about sewing, wig styling, and etc.

The fat thing pisses me off a lot because its more that she doesn't understand that I've got a totally different body from her. She is a really thin rectangle while I'm a muscular hourglass. Also, its not like I don't account for this in my cosplay choices.

>> No.7007693
File: 34 KB, 413x395, don.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7007688

>muscular hourglass

I'll believe that when you post pics.

>> No.7007699

>>7007693
Sorry, I prefer to stay anon. I know some people in the group go on cgl and I don't want to start up dramu. They'll know right away if I post a pic of myself.

>> No.7007706

>>7007277
You and me both, anon.
We'll learn how to eventually. Hopefully.

>> No.7007710 [DELETED] 
File: 45 KB, 562x458, 1343860400184.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7007189
>>7007235
If guys can give themselves DDs you can give yourself them too

>> No.7007713 [DELETED] 

>>7007699
Crop out face

>> No.7007718
File: 27 KB, 500x375, 1297101760913.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7007710

Not that anon, but DDs on a 5' tall girl looks still like a padded 13 year old. A lot of the time it doesn't matter how big your tits are.

A few years back when I turned 18 I wanted to 'come out' with a sexy costume. I designed something as sexy as I was comfortable with-- short shorts and a low top- for a causal gijinka. Looked alright, not wonderful, but I didn't get any positive attention-- at all. I was in heels, lots of makeup, padded up bra (I have Cs) I thought oh-- okay, I guess it's not a good cosplay. But then I realized I was getting very odd stares. About 30 minutes into wearing it, a guy on staff who looked early 20s comes over to me and says in a very concerned voice "Excuse me, do your parents know you're dressed like that? You really shouldn't dress that way, it can make other attendees uncomfortable."

>that feel when almost 19 year old 4'10" girl
>never do any sexy character or cosplay again
>always be the loli

>> No.7007724 [DELETED] 
File: 118 KB, 1280x960, 1374538687778.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7007718
>implying flat girls can't be sexy
The height is the only real issue factor here, the reason that they probably thought you were a young'n was because of the obvious padding combined with the height. Boobs =/= attractiveness, just don't pick a character that has tits bigger than their heads and you ~Should~ do fine

>> No.7007725 [DELETED] 

>>7007724
And I'm sorry if this doesn't make any sense it's really late

>> No.7007735

>>7007724

I guess I should rephrase that... It wasn't OBVIOUS padding, I was just wearing one of those "get a whole extra cup!!" bras. Like I said, naturally I have Cs, so I might have been around D-ish. Thinking back on it, I really didn't show much cleavage either, I've always been pretty modest about that sort of thing.

And yeah, the height thing is why a lot of us are doomed to lolidom. For me I've come to realize it's just not going to happen- I just can't ever be a Yoko or a Wonderwoman or any other sexy woman because it won't fit my body type.

>> No.7007757

>>7007713
Just because my face is cut out doesn't mean they won't recognize my place or my body. They've seen me shirtless before, in and out of a bra because I crossplay too. (Not sure about the rest of the world but its pretty common here for girls to change in front of each other so yeah....)

>> No.7007780

>>7007724
is someone in your picture supposed to be sexy? I guess the Cyborg is ok.

>> No.7007799

>Broad shoulders and hips that make you look fat no matter what you wear and how much weight you lose.
Brb cutting off limbs.

>> No.7007803
File: 260 KB, 1800x1800, 1369463347196.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7007203
>plus she's not overdone at every con ever

>> No.7007804

>>7007799
Pics. Wide hips is sexy as fuark.

>> No.7007809
File: 500 KB, 500x250, 5969569.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>only one of friends can sew and has a sewing machine
>friends wait until a week before the con to make her sew their costumes
>mfw we planned a day for sewing, and i needed to sew a hat
>we ended up doing nothing and didn't make any progress
>friend is busy making 3 costumes so i can't ask her for help to sew
>pull an all nighter and the morning of the con frantically trying to handsew the hat
>fuck up and give up and go to the con without it
>group looks great thanks to friend and nobody recognized me due to missing hat

>> No.7007885
File: 369 KB, 220x220, 1370050732071.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Be friends with people that want to essentially bounce cosplay ideas and construction suggestions/tips back and forth
>Ask for honest opinion/concrit on something not comfortable in and very unsure of
>Person says you look great and literally gives no further input

D-does that mean it looks bad? That they're too lazy to think of suggestions? That they don't know much about the subject or what looks off so they don't give any ideas on how to improve it?

>> No.7007911

>>7007885
just try asking them again, make them say something you need to improve on

>> No.7007924
File: 37 KB, 432x361, c12--professor-umbridge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7004680
>>7004693
This. Have one person I deal with attached to my friend group who always wants to be kawaii school girl because she's short or voluptuous maneaters because she has boobs. But she's shaped like short blob and has a face that would make her a perfect book Dolores Umbridge.

She also loves to get us all super hyped about one group cosplay idea then suddenly change her mind after fabric is bought.

>> No.7007929

>>7007885
I have the opposite. I will just be showing off something to someone in our circle and she'll always start off with some harsh criticism even if it's not even done and her own work is crap.

>> No.7007935
File: 182 KB, 400x374, 1334430178618.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be the second shortest person in the group
>only characters I ever get asked to cosplay are shotas/lolis which I don't really like
>finally find a short character I could enjoy cosplaying
>the other short person in the group is already doing it
fuck my height

>> No.7007939

When we form a group and some people already have their cosplays ready and someone else wants to cosplay the characters.

When we are in a group, shouldn't we cosplay FOR the group. Like, if there is already a character (someone made a good costume a long time ago) what's the point of someone else making the same costume?

What's the point of 10 Mayas and Emas in the same group?

>> No.7007940

>>7007939
I never understood this. Why even bother calling it a group at that point?

>> No.7007941

Finally get enough cosplay bros to pull together Team Aizen. But our heights would be way out of whack. Aizen would be 5' 11" and Gin and Tousen would be 6'6" monsters and gf's gay best friend wanted to be Grimmjow but he'd be 5'4"

School and coops get too insane to do it anyway.

>> No.7007948
File: 124 KB, 704x500, 1311789520044.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7007939
That's a shame because Gyakuten Saiban has so many fun character designs.

>> No.7007949

>>7004739
My two cents, because the main character is the most recognizable. It is all attention you hit the nail on the head.

As for why main characters are shitty it's because they are the "everyman" usually. They are created so that people can live through them vicariously and go on adventurers through their eyes. This works because the main character is learning about the world they are in at the same pace you are. This is a very typical storytelling tactic in animu especially.

>> No.7007978

>>7007948
And there are so many different characters that you will always find someone that fits you. I wanted to cosplay Dahlia but I'm not flat chested so I know her dress wouldn't look good in me.
Going for Lana or Angel Starr.

I seriouslly don't get why everyone wants to cosplay the same characters, I like pretty much every character from Gyakuten Saiban.

>> No.7007989

>>7007948
>>7007978
Agreed... there's so many characters I would do if I had the time, money and skill level to pull them off. I guess it's more of an attention thing for most of them though.

>> No.7008137
File: 29 KB, 360x480, 1331446665697.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7007948
Yeah. I love seeing Emas and Mayas (and I'm expecting a few Athenas next year once the game's released) but I would be so happy to see more witnesses and defendants. Especially in a big group - then the variety almost makes it, you know?

>> No.7008222

>>7007809
Christ I have a friend like you and she pisses me off. Others are not responsible for your costumes. Don't rely on others to sew stuff for/with you as their not your personally seamstress unless you paid them.

>> No.7008263
File: 482 KB, 672x537, no.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be four months away from the con
>be in a cosplay group with two other girls
>girls tell me to buy a weekend pass for con
>all easy characters are taken by them
>left with a bunch of monsters to cosplay that require complex details
>whatever.jpg
>order my things months in advance to see if they'll work out
>a few weeks before the con I know I can't get all the materials right
>tell them politely that I can't finish it
>they seem cool with it

>be two days before the con
>girls are finally starting their cosplays
>they post progress pictures
>everything looks awful and rushed
>the day of the con they're still not finished but we have to travel to the city anyway
>they bring their cosplay shit to work on in the hotel
>girl is trying to fucking spraypaint her cosplay unventilated in the bathroom
>other girl is trying to paint herself tan with cheap drugstore bronzer
>other girl is trying to hurriedly hot-glue shit and gets repeatedly frustrated that nothing is staying
>our room is a mess and housekeeping doesn't come the entire weekend of the con
>girls put up the do not disturb sign

>"Oh btw anon, that weekend pass you bought? Yeah we wound up getting the saturday-only passes soooo...."
>MFW
So pretty much friday we couldn't do shit because they didn't have the right pass. By sunday I wised up and did my own thing, but they actually pulled me from an event early that I had paid EXTRA for because they allegedly didn't want to get "stuck in con traffic." Which happened anyway because they parked in the main lot. I thought it was pretty shitty of them and they acted like I was being a bitch for getting upset.

>> No.7008271

>>7007809
I really hope you're compensating this friend because wow her life sucks.
Buy a small crafting sewing machine and learn, instead of putting that on someone else and then trying to handsew stuff.
(I think you can get an ok one at Walmart)

>> No.7008306

>>7007799
hold me anon because i feel that

>'oh this is a cute skirt!'
>put it on
>weird balloon animal tier

>> No.7008308
File: 6 KB, 251x189, why.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Friends and I want to do attack on titan group
>Despite losing 35 pounds and counting, still fat
>Really love SnK but can't bring myself to cosplay any character
>One friend is skinny male 5'3, I'm about 5'7
>Would make hilarious Hanji Levi duo
>But I'm fucking too fat oh god why can't I lose weight faster wwwhhhhyyyy.jpg

>> No.7008316

> surrounded by either "im too poor to cosplay", or terrible in general cosplayers
> not having a cosplay group
> fuck this area

>> No.7008323
File: 59 KB, 633x758, 1371273876927.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7008306
I have broad shoulders and small everything else with a dip in my hips that makes most shirts, pants, and skirts look terrible on me.

>> No.7008338

>friend who co-arranges larger cosplay groups with another friend and i is giant attention whore
>always takes best looking/main character
>can't really protest because she knows the most people/is the most popular and knows the photogs
>can only try to even things out for everyone by suggesting stuff when we three plan things
>coming up with poses
>poses have two rows of people, four in back three in front
>friend is making all of them have her smack in the front center
>"hey we should have poses that rotate so everyone can be the spotlight"
>"Okay anon!"
>rotates some people in the back to the front
>rotates people in front to the back
>except her
>stays in the front middle for all the poses still
>mfw

>> No.7008339

>>7008271
This. Sounds more like this Anons friend should be in this thread talking about how they have to sew for lazy entitled shits.

>> No.7008353

>>7008323
are you short with broad shoulders? 5'1 here

bring it in, anon, bring it in. one day there will be a surgery for xboxheug shoulders

>you will never be the kawaii little girl
;_;

>> No.7008360

>>7008353
broad shoulders, short, flat as a board. zero curves, nearly a rectangle.
>tfw bust size barely even three inches bigger than waist size

>> No.7008358

>>7008308
i am in literally the exact same boat.
congrats on your weight loss keep at it.

>> No.7008409
File: 20 KB, 336x274, 1357265352417.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7008353
5'4, so I guess short~average. What I find really flatters my manly shoulders though, aside from my lanky limbs and weird hip dip issue, is my lovely turkey chin. Despite being really thin and watching what I eat for the most part, it stays...

To stay on topic:
>Get talked into joining a group, although very reluctantly, especially after reading these threads
>Decide to go with the character closest to my body type and height
>Everyone wants to cosplay way out of their body type
>Okay fine whatever, it will still be fun
>Work on cosplay
>Everyone in the group falls off the face of the planet

>> No.7008605

>>7007803
I think Anon just meant in comparison to Stocking. I went to a small cosplay event not too long ago and there were around 4 Stockings and only 1 (genderbent) Panty.

>> No.7009286

>>7007885
The best way to trick someone to give criticism is to tell them something is wrong with your costume but you can`t really see exactly what.

>> No.7009320

>>7008308
For something that just needs a uniform(recon corps, power armor) it would be best to just be an extra.

Larger body type might work for police corps considering they don`t use 3d maneuver gear

>> No.7009336

>>7009286
that's pretty sneaky, anon. i'm gonna try that sometime

>> No.7010556

>>7008409
That happens a lot, don't tell them directly that X character dont match their body type, just say: "I wanted to cosplay X character but i'm too fat/skinny/small/tall/etc... to cosplay it, so i will cosplay Y"

>> No.7010565
File: 120 KB, 500x500, tumblr_lsvrx8dzvT1qbjmdt.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Self conscious about face ( scars n shit)
>Cosplaying from a series with a masked character I actually enjoy.
>"Oh, no. Anon, we need you to be MC. You have the jaw shape for him."
>"I'd rather be Mask-chan."
>"Attractive-san is cosplaying Mask-chan and we agreed no doubles."

I don't like taking pictures of my face and that's all they want to do...

>> No.7010697

>>7010565
What kind of scars
A large cut across the cheek or something more burn related?

>> No.7010918

>>7010565
if that's a badass eye scar, you have so many options available to you

>> No.7010920

>>7010565
>>7010918
even if it's not, facial scars can be some of the coolest looking non-congenital markings you can get

>> No.7010949

>>7010565
Most of the facil scars looks pretty good on cosplay, and also most facial scars can be hidden with make up :)

>> No.7011002

>>7010565
if it's acne scars you should just get a chemical peel. I did that and mine about 98% gone

>> No.7011011

>>7004673
>tfw you want to join in a group cosplay because you are more capable than the people setting it up, but they act touchy about it because you are black

>> No.7011019

>want to do a group cosplay
>your favorite character is homura and you really want to cosplay her
>"but anon chan...I was going to be homura..."
>she doesn't even like homura

god

>> No.7011034

>>7011019
Am I the only one who would be GLAD for someone I knew to be doing the exact same character, so we could help each other out?

>> No.7011293

>organize a ridiculously attractive group for a con
>everybody's a pretty good cosplayer, and fits the character they're cosplaying to a T
>the hottest (like male fucking model tier) guy in our group of 4 is my best friend, so i help him a lot with his cosplay and lent him a lot of stuff because he doesnt have much experience.
>the day of the con comes
>arrive really early so i could help the other members of the group get everything ready
>everybody looks good but male model friend hasnt arrived yet and isnt answering his phone
>we're already getting asked for tons of photos but we're all really stressed and worried about him
>finally ended up calling his dad, only to find out he hadn't even woken up yet
>when i started yelling at him on the phone he said the cosplay wasn't finished and he wasn't going
>he didnt order anything until a week before the con, even though i sent him links to literally everything he needs for it months prior to the convention.
i really really love you so much but please

>> No.7011304

>>hey I'm coming to this convention in 6 months so we should be so and so! We would be so cool together!

I start getting my supplies and stuff after being suckered in. Ask her how it's going.

>>Lol been super busy, I'll get ready for the con soon.

1 month or so before the convention she cancels everything because boo hoo her parents won't let her go/give her money. I later find out she never even bought fabric for her costume. I'm leaving out a lot of details but she yanked my chain so hard that time and now she wonders why I don't want to cosplay with her anymore. She's 23 and she needs her parents approval?

>> No.7011386

>>7011002
It's mostly old acne which is fading away now and an old scar over my eye that looks like a keloid.

I just feel more confident with masked characters.

>> No.7011411

>>7011386
oh yeah I have one of those as well. Just get a good liquid foundation powder foundation to go with it. I know seems better to cosplay characters with masks or face paint, try it out though I'm sure you'll look great!

>> No.7011484

>Be sole Asian in cosplay group
>Group decides we will cosplay Street Fighter for one con
>Whitest possible girl decides she MUST cosplay Chun Li
>Logics that I shouldn't be the character because it's "expected" even though Chun Li has always been a favorite character of mine
>Explain that I would really like to cosplay Chun Li and girl throws a temper-tantrum
>Day of cosplay: girl asks everyone in group for help doing cat eye makeup to look Asian, none of us oblige
>Get lots of pics taken as group
>Aforementioned girl gets flamed online for doing shitty cat eye makeup when there was an Asian already in the group
>Girl logs in/creates accounts just to whiteknight herself on various sites

So much nope here. This situation has actually happened twice before and the chick still hasn't learned. I have so much secondhand embarrassment it's not funny. Thankfully the other group members are friends who make being in the group fun and worth dealing with her.

>> No.7011519
File: 114 KB, 887x485, 1348355825741.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7010565
I know this feel. Don't let others pick your cosplays or you won't have fun or feel comfortable. They're putting you into that position for selfish reasons, get better friends anon chan.

>> No.7011531

>>7011484
Pics?

>> No.7012027

>>7011531
seconded, pics please?