[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 183 KB, 391x412, 1401652249095.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7679496 No.7679496 [Reply] [Original]

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers.

Post your honest question here and hope for an honest answer.

What would you do if a guy comes up to you, gets on his knee as asks you out while you're in cosplay?
It happened at Katsucon in february. Girl blushed and they went out for lunch first.

>> No.7679692

Just a situation like that; I wouldn't like it. It's my own personal preference that I don't like making a big scene like that. If I saw it happening, I'd think it's a little silly, but I wouldn't not like it.

If it was a guy I knew well, got along with well, I think I'd be embarrassed, but I'd say yes.
If it was a guy I didn't get along with well at all, then I would say no.

My questions:
Has anyone here ever attended a con alone?
I like going with friends, but it can get kind of messy.
>group agrees to go to con at 1pm
>get there at 3pm
>i want to look around the artist alley/dealers hall
>friend wants to take pictures and have her picture taken
>i suggest we split, third friend wants the group to stay together
>end up sitting down and doing nothing

>> No.7679707

>>7679692
I went alone to Otakon once. I think I went to at least 5 photoshoot/meetup things and then went to a couple panels. It was great because I had enough stuff to keep me interested and I still got to chat with a few people I met there. I think it only worked because it was a big con tho.

>> No.7679731

what would people think of a transman who dresses male 24/7, is shooting for 'mones/surgery, and can accept that strangers are not mind readers (so wrong pronouns from a stranger = horribly uncomfortable but how would they know) crossplaying as a female character?

>> No.7679769

>>7679496
>What would you do if a guy comes up to you, gets on his knee as asks you out while you're in cosplay?
Depends.

Is he good looking? Say yes.
Is he ugly? Say no.

>> No.7679784

>>7679731
I'd think that they were a very decent person.

Getting angry about pronouns when your gender looks ambiguous is silly.

>> No.7679786

>>7679707
That sounds like a lot of fun. Would you ever want to go alone again?

>>7679731
I don't care if you're a transman crossplaying a female character, if it's a good costume I wouldn't hesitate to compliment you.
I think the worst you could get is:
>why bother becoming a transman if you're going to cosplay a female character?
It's not really a big deal though

>> No.7679806
File: 486 KB, 499x377, 1384753419634.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7679784
>>7679786

aw you guys

>> No.7679811

Do he got dat booty -> yes
R u not gay -> nah

>> No.7679863

>>7679496
I think that's really cheesy and wouldn't like it. If it were a friend, I'd probably gently say no unless it were someone I really wanted to be with. If it were a stranger or an acquaintance, I would just turn them down. I'm just not into that kind of thing.

>>7679692
I've been to a con alone once. I'm really shy, but I did find it easier to talk to people while on my own than in a group, and it was nice to be able to be on my own schedule, but it was definitely a bit awkward at times when I had nothing to do and had to try to force myself to engage with people. Trying to get over that shyness, and if you're not like that, I'm sure it would be more fun!

>> No.7679915

>>7679692
I sometimes go to cons alone by choice. I like to sit around sip on some drink & eat something delicious and just sit around for hours watching other people and listen to their conversation or just go and explore everything con offers. It's relaxing and fun but kind of weird I guess.

>> No.7679926
File: 368 KB, 427x502, 1404743950804.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm just now starting to collect pieces to build a lolita wardrobe. However, I'm only interested in wearing classic, and I'm having a big hair problem: my hair is bright teal! I know the easiest solution is to wear a wig, but where I live, the weather can get miserably hot and isn't always an option.

So what's /cgl/'s advice for a newbie lolita with an unnatural hair color?

>> No.7679928

>>7679784
The lulzy thing is that a lot of them will say stuff like "that guy called me 'she'! Cis scum!"
So how do you know it was a guy and not a transwoman? Isn't that exactly the same thing you're complaining about?

>> No.7679940

>>7679926
Dye it a natural color

>> No.7680106

is there a way to not have cgl tear apart a cosplay?

>> No.7680114

>>7680106
no
captcha: loptha persecution

>> No.7680199
File: 560 KB, 1600x1125, 8794379823478.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've never cosplayed before or been to a convention, living in a small conservative UK town with my prudent mother.

I've been considering cosplaying a member of the scout regiment from Attack on Titan, the only thing being, I don't know how AoT cosplay is regarded in the community. Pictures I've seen recently just have AoT cosplay spammed all over them, and most of them look mediocre. If I created something that looked decent, would it still be shunned?

>> No.7680204

>>7680199
can't speak for UK but no one is really shunned. you will however be "one of the crowd" since there's so many AoT cosplays already. You'll probably be in good company with a bunch of other AoT cosplayers.

>> No.7680214

>>7680106
it has to be either perfect or you have to be thin and beautiful. they deny it, but a lot of gulls give people more slack on coords/cosplays if theyre cute. if youre not cute youre fucked.

>> No.7680219

>>7679731
Tran female cosplay is becoming more common nowadays. There are some that will judge you, but you shouldn't let it bother you.
If anything, go for a great cosplay that will make people turn their heads. Who knows, you'll manage to find that one guy who's into you.

>> No.7680240

>>7679692
I went my first 5 cons alone and it was great. Then I tried to bring friends who were also into anime but their mindset was not as con-focused as mine.
They got tired, hungry, hot and bothered quick. I got fed up and stopped going with people.

Being alone gives you the freedom to do what you want when you want.
You wanna look at one booth for more than 3 seconds? You got it.
You wanna go to a panel that has a long ass line? You're the boss.
You wanna sit your ass down when YOUR legs give out? Nobody is stopping you.

>> No.7680241

How precisely does one deal with kp?

I'd love it if someone could link me to some masterlist of information about it, but at this point I'll take what I can get. I'm also assuming that my skin will never be entirely clear no matter what I do, so there's that.

>> No.7680258

>>7679926
Spend the money to go to an actual hairstylist two weeks before the con to dye it the color and hairstyle YOU want.
No hot wig will compare to your real hair.
And no, you're not a hairstyler, dying your own hair will not look as natural as going to a saloon.
Trust me, spend the money.

>> No.7680264

>>7680106
Only way is to be a cutiepie Japanese female and cosplay at comiket.
Seagulls cannot tear apart the real deal.
Unless they are showing panties at will.

>> No.7680273

>>7680258
Did you reply to the wrong post? It's pretty clear they are looking to wear lolita regularly, not just to one con

>> No.7680285

>>7680199
Like any anime that gets insanely popular quickly you will be labeled as a member of the "hype train" by the anime hipsters. I'm talking about /a/ and /cgl/.
My honest opinion is to not give a flying fuck and do what you want. Fun things are fun.
It's your life, live it how you want. On the bright side you might meet that special someone who's into what you're into.

>> No.7680378

>>7680273
Same reply applies. If you don't wanna wear a wig then get your hair done professionally.
My hair lasts a few months before I go in for another treatment. People think I'm a natural redhead when I'm blonde.

>> No.7680389

>>7680378
but I don't think anon wants to change her haircolor... it seems more like she is looking for coordination tips or for people to tell her teal hair is great with classic or something. Which I don't think it's actually bad at all.

>> No.7680435

>>7679926
Look at your hair color as you would an accent color. You want to either have your hair match the color scheme (like people who wear pink wigs with sweet) or at the very least not clash. You will also have to work harder to make your hair look classic, so make sure that your hair is styled in a proper lolita style so that you arent emphasizing it. Hopefully your hair is on the longer side, because if you have pretty short hair as well, it is that much harder to deal with.

The easiest things to match will be anything in the green or blue colors, you can get blouses that are teal so it isnt just in your hair. Hardest will be the reddish colors as it requires more color theory knowledge.

>>7680258
Salons arent as good as you think they are. The qualifications are actually pretty bad, so you can easily be on par with a typical hairstylist through trial and error.

>> No.7680476

How do I get every hair when I shave?

I've got facial hair, but not only can I not seem to get all of the hairs when I shave, it gives me some sort of stubble or five o'clock shadow or whatever. It grows back really quickly and I have no idea what to do. So what should I do?

>> No.7680483

>>7680476
Nair. Just nair fuckin' everything.

>> No.7680509

>>7680476
Have you considered waxing? From what I'm told (and what I've seen), waxing is pretty effective at stunting hair growth. Perhaps you should try it out.

As for my question, is there some sort of simulator or something I can use to see how clothing I find online would look on me/ a person? I don't want to have bought clothing/Ouji online only to have the colors mismatch or for it to not look good. Or should I just set up outfits and show them to a few people and see if they like it?

>> No.7680536

How to not look like an autistic serial killer when alone at a con?

>> No.7680566

>>7680536
Smile? Dont be douchey? Many people seem to go to cons alone and chat with others and make friends, so it is done. You just have to be friendly and be able to take hints. Nothing is worse than trying to awkwardly end a convo that the other person continues anyways.

>> No.7680572

>>7680483
Have you used Nair before? Reading online reviews make me kind of hesitant

>>7680509
I don't know of any. If anything, just take a picture of yourself and photoshop the clothes on.
General advice: get a shopping buddy and hit the stores, figure out your body and what looks good on you.
>short skirts on short girls make their legs look longer
>asians look good in blue because of their skin tone
Aim for balance

>> No.7680601
File: 37 KB, 337x450, 139132356457.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm not gifted with the most beautiful face for cosplay. And I realized one day that I look alarmingly similar to PT. I'm making great progress with weight loss, and I'm trying to learn how to be less awkward (with... somewhat less success,) but unless I get surgery, I'll always be stuck with my face. I'm worried that my face plus my skills, which I know need a shitload of improvement, kind of make things hopeless.

How do I fix this? Is it even possible to make myself look less repulsive? Is there some kind of contouring magic I can pull to hide my protruding chin?
...Should I just give up?

>pic related because it's PT looking better than usual and a lot like me when i look okayish

>> No.7680605

>>7680572
My family's Italian, so of course I use nair on everything since no one likes a lady mustache. It works very well but you need to time it and leave the skin alone for a few minutes afterwards.
Use nair (I leave it on for 8 minutes usuall). Wash it off. Do not touch skin for like ten minutes.

>> No.7680638

Do any of you buy exclusively from online fabric stores? I moved recently and unfortunately haven't been able to find some decent cosplay fabrics. What are some good online stores? Should I always order a sample first?

>> No.7680671

>>7680572
Im lazy as fuck so I only use nair and other similar products. If you know you have sensitive skin, just dont bother. Otherwise it is fine as long as you dont go over the time. There are special ones for delicate areas too I believe.

>> No.7680673

>>7680638
Pretty much, yes. And there are a bunch, but what are you looking for exactly?

And yes. Always get swatches first. Sometimes, things get mislabelled. I ordered swatches for what I thought was going to be brick red chiffon, but it had been mistitled and was actually brick red tricot.

>> No.7680718

>>7680509
It would be way too hard to make that kind of program, too many brands and styles.

You can make outfit collages and ask people here if it works. Start with basics in neutrals,or buy sets.

>> No.7681607

>>7680673
I like cotton polyester blends for the basic stuff. I try to avoid anything with too much of a sheen like satin unless it's pretty obvious it's used on the costume. I'm still kind of new to what is good/bad types of fabrics to use for cosplay. I would usually just go to the fabric stores and ask for suggestions then make a decision based on that..

>> No.7681677

>>7680601
A lot of people have a feature that they're not confident about. Congratulations on your weight loss! It sounds like you're taking the steps to improve yourself, a lot of people don't have the will power to do that. If you're having fun it will show. Having fun and being happy will help make you more confident. Makeup does help but it can only do so much. The rest is all up to you! :D

>> No.7681699
File: 221 KB, 900x1200, gun prop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How serious are the weapon policies at cons? I ordered a prop that I thought would be okay, but just got a response from an email I sent about 3 weeks ago to the con, that said that it would not work. I just don't understand how I see weapon props like pic related, without an orange tip or anything, pass.

>> No.7681735

>>7679731
I probably wouldn't even notice. I don't spend much time trying to figure out other people's gender puzzles by sight or do any deep pondering on them since I don't have any gender issues. I just like to look at good cosplay.

>> No.7681754

>>7681699
Different anon with related weapons prop question. Any else with minor /k/ knowledge, if I remove the spring and follower from a magazine can I use it as a prop since it is not legally seen as a functioning magazine and only parts at that point?

>> No.7681757

>>7679926
Dye it natural or get a lightweight natural colored wig and get used to it. Teal hair + Classic Lolita won't ever look good no matter how you try to style it.

>> No.7681775

>>7680241
Moisturizing lotions to soothe the skin and help it look better
Skin creams that contain urea, lactic acid, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, tretinoin, or vitamin D
Steroid creams to reduce redness
Improvement often takes months so have patience

>> No.7681782

>>7681699
that honestly looks like a blue gun ( a rubber replica of a real gun) that the holder took the orange cap off of for the picture.

>> No.7681851
File: 106 KB, 718x837, 1344490339656.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7681782
So it's perfectly okay to just have an orange removable cap and remove it whenever you want?

>> No.7681889

>>7681851
Seems to me that for gun props a lot of cons want it to have an orange tip. If you have a non functioning prop, or a toy that doesn't have an orange tip why not just paint the muzzle break/tip orange. It's not illegal to paint the tip of a non functioning gun orange.

>> No.7681892

>>7681754
>>7681699

There's a few reasons for not allowing weapons at cons, only one of which is you actually hurting someone else with it.

The other reason is not giving other people a reason to panic if they see you with a "weapon". Yes, you know it's non working, some good samaritan sees you carrying it won't know. Being good samaritans, they report you in (wrongly) as a potential psycho in costume, the cops come running and try to arrest you, it disrupts the con, cosplayers get blamed for being psychos, and a generally bad time is had by all just because you absolutely needed your weapon to look real-ish.

Your best bet is to go into a toy store and get the fakest, plastic-est-looking toy gun you can find, possibly in some other colour than black or silver. Don't repaint it or upcycle it, just let it look like a fake hunk of plastic.

As for being accurate, just save the real-looking props for your private photoshoots. It's not like you'll get awesome photos from a con anyway, look at that background of congoers sitting on the floor in the pic you posted.

>> No.7681938

>>7681892
So is that an okay for non working magazine parts as part of a costume? Let's say in a plate carrier/vest for part of a costume. Or is it too grey area to know?

>> No.7681954

>>7681938

What does it look like? post a pic

>> No.7681977

>>7681954
It looks like your standard COWADOOTY tactical vest. Plate carrier means its meant to take a ceramic plate and be used as body armor.

and honestly guy posting no one is going to freak out because you've got some Banana mags and a tactical vest on.

>> No.7681980

>>7681954
Don't have pics since I'm on my phone.
But a standard 5.56 stanag mag, like for m16/m4. If I remove the spring and follower it then literally becomes a 5 sided empty metal box that's good for nothing.

>> No.7681995

>>7681977
>ceramic
Ceramic a shit. Steel or nothing... Which would probably be nothing since I don't want to carry the weight around wearing plates to walk around at a con.

>> No.7681996
File: 383 KB, 848x1200, 1397875031280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How should I go about cosplaying Kino? I'm tempted to just buy the costume off some site or get it from this one eBay that's selling it. New to cosplaying and was wondering if buying full costumes like this is bad or something

I'm shit at making stuff, so I just buy parts of the costume one piece at a time. I can get almost everything, but obviously her green coat is a problem, since it's not a common thing to find in clothing stores. And I might actually leave my comfort zone to try and make her green pouches. What are those little straps around the ankles called?

Brown shoes from the anime, or green shoes from all the official art?

>> No.7682007

>>7681977
Oh, and thanks, just making sure. I'm sure it would be that big of an issue, and it's not a crime to walk around with mags. Specially not loaded, but want to make sure I don't get told I can't have that at a con for arbitrary reasons.

>> No.7682078

>>7681995
>steel or nothing
You're a funny guy.
.308 will punch through a quarter inch steel plate at 50 yards like its fucking paper.

>> No.7682092

>>7682078
>quarter inch
I agree. And tell me about how that ceramic would hold up against weather and multiple hits. But this is more of a discussion to be had on /k/

>> No.7682233
File: 222 KB, 640x480, 8176434014_ea22ab257e_z.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7681889

I would just hate to have to put something permanent on the prop, since I plan on reusing it.

>>7681892

Those are good points. Sadly, I've already paid for the gun and the prop is a big part of the cosplay. I guess things like Yoko's sniper is fine because of how large it is? I've just seen a lot of pictures of people not using the orange tips.

The orange tip is not nearly as big of a problem as the reloading factor this prop has though...
It's pretty much just a plastic gun with reloading and trigger pulling. I figure I'll end up having to glue those parts in place, but it's very disappointing.

>> No.7682254

i am a chubbychan who wears rori, and i am a rectangle body type who looks a bit smaller than my actual measurements since a lot of my weight is in my tummy and thighs, both of which are covered by my clothes. people often suggest i wear the blouse/skirt combo, but skirts make me look 10x fatter in my midsection, where most of my weight already is. how do i properly mask my squishy bits? what kinds of dresses and skirt types flatter rectangles? this seriously gets on my nerves that i cant figure out how to dress myself in a flattering way in lolita, even though i have no trouble in normalfag clothes.
>sweet btw

>> No.7682352

I'm not that into japanese stuff, kinda hipsterish/elitist in my game taste and trying to into cosplay, I'm worried I won't get much recognition because a lot of the cosplays that feel within my reach as a first timer are a tad obscure, though that might just be my circle of friends. I was thinking Jacket, Biker (Hotline Miami), The Hacker, The Cleaner (Monaco, but much like the game I feel it wouldn't work without a group), Classic Garrett (Thief), Wilson (Don't Starve) The Hero (Dungeons of Dredmor), JC Denton (Deus Ex) Pyromancer (Dark Souls) or Goggles (System Shock 2). Would I just get a bunch of blank stares/mistaken identity?

>> No.7682367

>>7682254
Shape wear and hit the gym. Rectangle is one of the hardest to do in Lolita so your best bet is to drop some weight and inches to make your proportions a little better.

>> No.7682375

I don't know what to think when EGL and cgl have such differing opinions on a topic. I'd like to think most EGL girls don't come here and it's just the repeated loud negative blabbing of just a few here on things like weight, age and finances in Lolita.

I guess because the other option would be to face that there's huge hypocrisy across the general Lolita hobby.

What do you think?

>> No.7682379

Where do people post their cosplay photos these days?

>> No.7682383

>>7682352
Depends.
Hero (Dredmore) will probably look like Flynn Ryder with aggressive eyebrows. It's all in how you pull it off.

A dude with a suit on is just a well-dressed guy. But give him red converse or a big brown jacket and suddenly it's the Doctor. Details can make or break a cosplay.

>> No.7682385

>>7682375
It's the former
Whenever anything requires a gigantic hivemind conspiracy to work it's always false.

>> No.7682391

>>7682383
Hmm, Lutefisk for the lutefisk god? Numerous varieties of cheese?

>> No.7682393

>>7682391
Something definitive like Lutefisk or a Diggle plush might help

>> No.7682417

Posted this in the other thread.

How do I go off and approach a cosplayer without being a creep? I find it a bit too awkward if they're in groups since they seem more unapproachable. Anyhow, is it normal to just start a convo with them after you take a photo or something?

It's easy enough to approach a cosplayer venturing out solo but the chill ones seem to have their own little circles and it would just feel like I'm just a nuisance to them. I wish I had a wingman of some sort but all my friends aren't really into taking pictures and chilling with the cosplayers so I'm stuck doing it solo.

I just really want some friends who share the same hobbies as me.

>> No.7682495

>>7682417
We usually have a little group to keep people from just coming up to us, lol. I like to meet other cosplayers cosplaying, in the con group chatting before and then at the con. If you share the hobby you'll be in cosplay too so just ask for a photo together. If you aren't in cosplay, you don't have anything visibly in common so it's going to be harder.

>> No.7682522

>>7682417
Talk about the series they're cosplaying from. It's a good conversation starter and makes you look less like a creep who just takes photos for the fap folder.

Also bathe, use deodorant, have clean hair etc.

>> No.7682535

>>7682522
>photos for the fap folder
is this a real thing?
for what purpose?

>> No.7682544

>>7682535
Yep, dudes slinking around cons taking photos of chicks. they keep them in a folder to fap to. It's a thing. Pathetic isn't it?

>> No.7682547

>>7682544
>Tfw someone could be fapping to you

>> No.7682766

>>7682254
I think anything with a defined waist will help. In lolita skirts make your bottom look big anyways, so now you just need to highlight the waist to hip ratio. Princess seamed stuff works, fitted blouses, and idk high waisted? There is a body type pic that floats around that would help if anyone has it saved. A corset is an option, although if you want to do that it costs some money to get somethign decent, and I would suggest a cincher.

>>7682375
A lot more people than you think go on 4chan. With btb bringing up issues that first get talked on cgl, there is enough cross over that I would say a lot of egl girls at least lurk. However anon gives you freedom.

>> No.7682838

>>7679926
Depends on how you style it. If you style it clasically and match your outfit with it (at least until you have a wig/bite the bullet and dye it) it'll look fine. If you insist on having one half shaved off, wear everything combed to one side and wear hipster glasses with them (which I've seen a girl do), fuck no. Wig.

>> No.7682846

>>7680509
For colours: look for reviews, people will often compare it. For how things fit: find out what looks good on you. I have a hourglass figure, am short and have a high arch. By looking at pictures I can usually check the boxes in my mind if it'd fit. Highwaisted? No. Short skirts? Yes. Straps high on the shoe? No. So far I havem't bought anything yet that ended up not fitting me.

>> No.7682853

>>7680601
If you look like you take care of yourself well (no huge pimples/shiny red skin/greasy hair) I don't think people would think of you as 'repulsive'. I mean look at the pic youposted, PT looks pretty normal there, right?

>> No.7682861

>>7681699
Remember that congoers are sometimes real crazy. Had a chat with the guy at the garderobe (where people leave their coats, bags and props that end up not being allowed) and he told me that last year some idiot came there with a real and sharpened katana. They don't wanna risk a thing I suppose.

>> No.7682862

>>7682547
Ikr? That's why you see all these seemingly flipped-out overreactions regarding con cosplay, Lolita at cons and people taking pix. Gross, hm? But just check the fap thread, there they are.

>> No.7683574

>>7680240
>This. I always go alone, even if rooming with friends. The ability to pace my own con is the most important part. I have lots of con friends, I can hang out with them for a bit then break for a panel. Coming with someone is the hard part.

>> No.7685265

Never booked a hotel before

I understand that you're supposed to leave a card at the front desk so they can charge you for any amenities, but do they charge you per day and then refund you everything when you check out if you don't use any of those amenities?

>> No.7685350

> I have only one friend that cosplays
> she BUYS all her cosplays

Is it wrong of me to be mad at her for that? I feel like it's cheating. She does do some small modifications to things though.
I put far effort,time and money into mine. While she pays less and cosplay more and goes to more cons.

>> No.7685368

>>7685350
Handmade vs bought cosplays are like comparing apples and oranges. Both have their advantages. But unless someone tries to pass bought off as handmade, I don't see any reason to get upset about it.

>> No.7685374

Question: what is the appeal of lolita? I'm not trolling or being negative, I genuinely want to know. Is it a lifestyle choice, a way to play dress up, what?

>> No.7685380

>>7685374
Different things to different people. To me, it's a way to dress elegantly yet modestly and I've always loved Victorian and rococo dresses so a way to incorporate a bit of that in my wardrobe.

>> No.7685382

Is there a way for me to make money out of cosplay without whoring myself out?

>> No.7685390

>>7685382
Make good commissions, maybe? Otherwise I don't think there's a market for getting paid just to cosplay unless sexy/booth babe kind of thing.

>> No.7685391

>>7685382
get sponsored. To do that you'll need to make a great costume and a great impression, as well as be in the right place at the right time.

Or flash your tits. Whichever is easier.

>> No.7685411

>>7685265
I book my hotel at Priceline. You choose the amount of days you want. When you go to the hotel on that day, you check in, and pay for the days you are staying. You don't pay when you book, you pay on the day you check in and use the room. Sorry, but I've never been in the situation where you leave your card and stuff. I always book it before.

I hope that answers your question though

>> No.7685511

>>7682379
There are so many sites. But places I go to are deviantArt, tumblr, cospix is a pretty simple way, cosplay.com, reddit, and Wordpress. Some people start their own Facebook pages and post their stuff there.

>> No.7685652

>>7685511
Thanks, anon
I wanted somewhere to keep my cosplay pictures but I got the feeling that cosplay.com is kinda dead

>> No.7685736

>>7685265
They charge you a lump fee for just in case, and then take it off when you check out. It isnt really refunding so much as they dont charge you for it.

>>7685374
The ultra feminine style appeals to a lot of females. It feels good to dress up in a beautiful outfit.

>> No.7685915
File: 373 KB, 360x240, 1404701826014.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

About to order from Taobao, and I keep hearing about people getting hit by customs fees. But... I have no idea what customs are! What are customs, and how will they affect my shipments? Tried google, but it was really unhelpful.

I've never gotten items shipped from outside of the US before, so I'm a complete newbie at this.

>> No.7685920

>>7685915
Customs are taxes that have to be paid on things purchased from other countries.

>> No.7685929

>>7685920
How much are they in the US? Fairly cheap, or really high? And do you always get them?

Sorry for all the questions.

>> No.7685933

>>7685929
Afaik US customs are fairly cheap to nonexistent. Ask an Eurofag if you want customs horror stories.

>> No.7685937

>>7679692
I actually prefer going to cons alone to an extent if theres lots of things I want to do.
If its a con where theres not so much im interested, thats when i try and get the group together.

>> No.7685943

This is probably a dumb question for lolitas but: my chest is 42 inches, should I give up fitting into brand and have to rely on brands that offer custom sizing?

>> No.7685952

>>7685933
Yeah, if you are in USA, then you are good, you will probably never get hit.

Here, in Europe, on the other hand customs are fucking thievery.

>> No.7685961

>>7685943
You're stuck with Maxicimam lovely size, some Chantilly, some fully shirred AP/baby/IW, fully shirred Dangerous nude, and possibly some Milky Ange stuff

>> No.7685965

>>7685929
Customs are usually a percentage, so they will be higher obviously if your total is higher. Being in the US, you dont have to worry too much about customs.

>> No.7685969

>>7680241
Physical exfoliation + chemical exfoliation + moisturizer + a good schedule

I have two types of skin brushes, a rough and softer one. I also use a salux cloth in the shower. For chemical exfoliation I use Paula's Choice 10% BHA, and I use coconut oil to moisturize. My skin has never been smoother and I look KP free. The only problem is if I don't keep up with the routine it comes back pretty quickly.

ymmv with the above, but nothing else has worked for me. You can google to find forums with tons of threads talking about solutions though.

>> No.7685973

>>7680601
PT normally is actually pretty decent. She looks a bit like Scully from the x files. You're not fucked, just dress nicely and do your makeup, and know what colors and styles suit you.

>> No.7686010

>>7685961
Ah thank you!
Theres a couple items I've had my eye on that have full shirring so I aprreciate the answer.

>> No.7686033

>>7680601
I think you'll be fine. PT doesn't have a terrible face, she just does not know how to work with any of her features, and goes out of her way to style herself in the most unflattering way possible. Seagulls have seen the potential and try to help her, but she is just delusional.

I wouldn't worry so much. /cgl/ is just that vicious towards her because her behavior.

>> No.7686219

Where can I find someone who knows what they are doing to commission a helmet for me?

>> No.7687027

Should I really pay 10+ on shipping for a 4 dollar item? I can't find the same thing anywhere else but that's killing me right now

>> No.7687034

>>7687027
Would you pay $14 with free shipping for the item? If yes then get it.

>> No.7688276

What's the general opinion on buying a costume?

>> No.7688280

>>7686033
> /cgl/ is just that vicious towards her because her behavior

I think this is part of my problem too, though... I certainly don't do the most batshit stuff she does, and I like to think I generally try to treat people well. But the truth is that I'm awkward as fuck and even years and years of trying have only kind of made a dent in that problem.

I'm worried I'll accidentally look ridiculous (in physical appearance and in behavior) and not even realize it until I show up on /cgl/ after a con or something.

>captcha ogreso appears
lol

>> No.7688332

This might be a question for /jp/ but it's almost relevant here
There's a jacket I want but amiami lists it as sold out
Is it possible to order it straight from the company that did it or is it gone for good?

>> No.7688395

>>7685943
>>7685961
I think custom looks better than most of these and full shirring looks subpar on everyone much less with that big of a chest.

>> No.7688409

>>7686219
What kind of helmet? If you're anywhere near Australia I know DarrenTP does a pretty good job making super sentai helmets

>> No.7688456

>>7679496
>What would you do if a guy comes up to you
Find an excuse to leave.

>> No.7688532

>>7679496
Hey CGL, just wondering

If you had to choose, would you either be fat or ugly?

>> No.7688538

>>7688532
Fat. It's cheaper to fix.

>> No.7688542

>>7688532
both

>> No.7688552

I want a jfashion big sister to help me out with things, one who is patient and kind and we could be friends

>> No.7688593

>>7679496
>What would you do if a guy comes up to you, gets on his knee as asks you out while you're in cosplay?
I would roll my eyes and walk away. Why is he getting on his knee to ask me /out/?

>>7679692
>Has anyone here ever attended a con alone?
Reading your greentext, that sucks. My friends and I always go together, but we split a lot of the time. I'm often on my own during the con.

>>7679731
>what would people think of a transman. . .crossplaying as a female character?
Done it before because fuck yeah, costumes. I love costumes. But I had a friend use it as an opportunity to tell me, "See! You look good as a girl. Now you just need to wear girl clothes like this outside of the on."
So, hopefully you don't have a dick friend who doesn't get it.
I don't crossplay female characters anymore.

>>7681754
>Any else with minor /k/ knowledge, if I remove the spring and follower from a magazine can I use it as a prop since it is not legally seen as a functioning magazine and only parts at that point?
Read the con rules about it. Since it is only the magazine, it might be okay. SakuraCon has the following "No functioning or previously functioning projectile weapons, or functional portion thereof, including, but not limited to, Air Soft, Nerf, or pellet guns will be allowed"

>>7685265
>do they charge you per day and then refund you everything when you check out if you don't use any of those amenities?
No. They don't assume you're taking the outrageously priced bottle water or whatever else you're using that costs money. So they won't just charge you automatically for those things and then refund you if you didn't. At least none of the hotels I've booked have ever done that.

>>7685350
>she BUYS all her cosplays
>Is it wrong of me to be mad at her for that?
I think you're being silly. Unless she is parading around claiming that she made the cosplays herself (and worse yet entering contests), there isn't a reason to be mad at her.

>> No.7688600

What's the best way to teach myself how to sew with a machine? Books? Classes? Trial and error? I've recently gotten a machine but I'm a little too nervous to even buy fabric without knowing where to begin. Are there basic items that I should buy too? I feel like a complete moron.

>> No.7688601
File: 72 KB, 440x595, Untitled-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7685374
>Question: what is the appeal of lolita? I'm not trolling or being negative, I genuinely want to know.
Answering as someone who doesn't dress in lolita (though I have considered aristocrat) and risk sounding like a creeper: I love pretty girls in pretty dresses. I love lolita fashion. It can have a sort of fantasy feel, elegance, or sweet.

>> No.7688602

>>7679926
Maybe wearing a wig in natural color while you dress in classic is the better thing, unless the dress color is green maybe hair could match, if they are a more subtle teal tone? Or a similar color like the jsk on the pic, i mean an emerald green hair color?
Wish there were more lolita pics of dyed hair in unatural colors other than red or pink.

>> No.7688608
File: 22 KB, 253x381, lkjhgfdd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7688602
A VM green dress.

>> No.7688612

So what is the acceptable body type on /cgl/ ?Seagulls don't seem to be accepting of anything short of emaciated

>> No.7688613

>>7685374
I enjoy dressing up in awesome outfits that take thought to put together.

Also there's just something about knowing your socks probably cost more than most peoples' entire outfits that makes you feel warm and tingly inside... ah yes, superiority...

>> No.7688616

>>7688612
Don't try to get accepted on /cgl/. You're just setting yourself up for disaster.

Even anime character don't have /cgl/-acceptable body types.

That all being said, they can be rather helpful in terms of what coords go with your body type.

>> No.7688653

>>7679692
Going to cons alone is the best. If I go with someone else, always split with my friends for at least a few hours so I can do whatever the hell I want and go to whatever interests me. If they can't get their ass up in the morning, I go ahead. I want to have a good time and get the most of my con experience.

>> No.7688658

>>7688612
/cgl/ is not a hivemind. No matter what your body type is, someone will always think you're hideous. Just focus on your coords/cosplay and make sure it's as good and flattering as it can be.

>> No.7688679

>>7685929
I haven't heard of anyone in the US getting hit with customs fees. I'm sure it's happened but it's not a huge problem like it is in Europe or Australia. I'd say relax and be excited for your order to roll in.

>> No.7688685
File: 164 KB, 398x359, 1371012814412.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7685374
That's such a weird question to think about. I just... like it. Why do we like the things we like? I don't know. I can't give any practical reasons. It's expensive, a tad inconvenient to wear, and draws a lot of attention. However, I adore wearing it. I love the feeling of a poofy petticoat giving my skirt a nice bounce. I also do admit part of it is that it's nice to feel like a princess for a day. I'm no lifestyler so when I have a meet coming up I pamper myself ahead of time, it's like a nice little departure from everyday life for me. Plus, as much crap as it gets, I do like the community. My local community is really fun and the online community is hysterical between all the drama and the trends.

>> No.7688687

>>7688600
take a class, learn the basics from there. Then buy scrap fabric [thrift store] and practice different techniques.

But you need those basic skills first and are probably best learned in a classroom setting.

>> No.7688843

>>7688600
Definitely start by going to a class, preferably one where they'll show you the basics of the machine and have you make a small project. That way you'll get the basic concepts of sewing and the machine from an expert and hopefully someone that will answer all your questions. From there you can probably look up tutorials on youtube and blogs on how to sew specific things, but start with simple things like tote bags and pajama pants. Instead of buying fabric you can also cut up sheets and pillowcases that you find cheap at thrift stores or garage sales. When you do go to buy regular fabric google your local fabric store and "coupons" and print soem out. Joanns always has at least a 40% off coupon.

>> No.7689015

>>7685952
>>7685933
How are the customs in Canada?

>> No.7689227

>>7682233
Can you post the model of the gun you plan on using?

>>7681892
No need to go that far with it. People just need not to be stupid with their props. If you are at a con prop weapons are already a common sight why would someone be alarmed.

>> No.7689236
File: 106 KB, 1920x1040, this.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7688409
The kind of helmets worn in Patlabor.

And I'm in LA.

>> No.7690222

Is there any easy way to apply false lashes? I can't seem to get them on comfortably or to the point where they're not going to fall off.

>> No.7690244

>>7690222
there is some tweezers specifically made to comfortably and easily put on your eyelashes.

>> No.7690256
File: 240 KB, 491x355, 000.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do you think these shoes could work well with an old school lolita coordinate? Just bought them for really cheap.

However, I don't think I've ever seen a lolita outfit using loafers like these. So if you guys think it's a good idea, any tips on how to pull it off? If it ends up looking like shit I'll just confine it to my normalfag wardrobe.

>> No.7690262

>>7690256
School uniform yes, lolita no.

>> No.7690612

How often do you approach and talk to someone you find cute at a con?

>> No.7690635

>>7690256
hm, i dont think so. just a bit to normalfag looking.

>> No.7690636

>>7685915
you don't get hit with customs unless it's a ridiculously large order. I got hit with them once but my package was really large and had $1000 worth of items in it from Y!A. My SS was lame and didn't mark it down.

>> No.7690644

>>7690256
>Do you think these shoes could work well with an old school lolita coordinate?
NO.

>> No.7690649

>>7690612
Run up to the person and poke the person to death.
Leave a piece of paper with your headshot and phone number on the body.

>> No.7690664

How do I find cute Asian gay guys to hang out with at cons?
I've been going to conventions for three years and I haven't found even one ;_;

>> No.7690674

>>7690664
What are you looking for in those men?

>> No.7690682

>>7690674

Just someone to hang out with and maybe cosplay gay shit with. Not expecting to find a boyfriend at a con or anything.

All I get is awkward teenage girls in bargain bin cosplay squealing over how novel finding a faggot is. :(

>> No.7690792

>>7690682
I don't mind crossdressing but I like girls, dude

>> No.7690799

>>7690649
Do people do this?

>> No.7690872

>>7690799
Of course! I personally have done it to a few girls myself, but they never call back for some reason

>> No.7690914

>>7690872
You're just so cute that they're too shy to find the courage to call you

>> No.7690938

I've worn a costume to a couple different masquerades. I've spent $500+ on the costume itself which is alot for me. I worked on it piece by piece since i'm not rolling in cash so made sure to budget accordingly. I lose in both masquerades. One is a smaller con and found out via a friend that con head had informed him, one of the judges basically said "Fuck the opinion of the rest of you judges, i'm picking who i want". She basically fucked over everyone and picked the most ridiculous cosplay that wasn't even that amazing. It just had a light up staff which was a pvc pipe with an orb on top that lit up. Went to a larger con but was in way over my head and had no chance of competition i didn't feel so my fault on that. Friend of mine on fb posts about how people shouldnt wear the same costume in multiple masquerades since it seems cheap. They go on to say that you should make a new one for each masquerade. I was a little baffled by this since i was told i was greedy and cheap for entering more than one con with this costume even though i won nothing and never sandbagged. I know there are people who do enter the same costume in a ton of times and win countless awards (ex: Bumblebee guy) and i can understand being frustrated by that but, what about just entering a few? You have different judges and you're up against different people each time. I feel like the challenge stays the same. Thoughts?

>> No.7690950
File: 40 KB, 385x515, 1399995804900.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7679496
where can i buy good quality striped tights sized for chun-li thighs on the internet? or any other fun tights? all my local retails have failed me. (brit speaking)

>> No.7690984

>>7690950
Have you tried sockdreams.com?

>> No.7691051

>>7690914
All jokes aside, I've never tried with a con girl just because I assume id be lumped in with all of the other weirdos.
Plus I'm trying to have fun, not get with a grill

>> No.7691059

How do I get started on making my own patterns for cosplay?

>> No.7691118

>>7691059
Start with small projects. Stick with basic designs like t shirts. Cut up one you own, lay it out on paper, add seam allowances. You can always use that one design for other projects. Just retrace it onto paper, draw or change what you want. Boom.

>> No.7691254

Makeup noob here got a question about cleaning brushes.

I used to just clean my brushes with handsoap or shampoo but then got fed up with how long it took for them to dry which was really bad in case I needed to reapply makeup mid day.

Anyway I went ahead and bought a bottle of Mary Kay makeup brush cleaner and after a few uses I wanna know if I'm using it right.

List of concerns
- Brushes still have makeup residue and are never "white"
- Go through at least 8 tissues of wiping

Are these expected results?

>> No.7691270

>>7690984
oo, thanks!

>> No.7691627

What program do you guys use to make collages? Like the coord collages, or things you've ordered from taobao? I know I sound so new right now but...honest question.

>preferably free

>> No.7691658

>>7691627
MS paint? Hurrdurr

>> No.7691783

>>7691627
Anything is free on the internet if you look hard enough.

>> No.7691812

>>7691254
We don't have Mary Kay in my country, but a quick Google search tells me it's a spray brush cleaner. That kind of cleaner is not okay to use on its own, you can use those to wipe your tools clean to avoid mixing products but you will never get them fully cleansed with just that. So yeah, it's working as expected but that's not the product you're looking for. Invest in a good brush shampoo and make a weekly routine, or get a a second of the brushes that dry the slowest f you want to sanitize them daily.

>> No.7691817

What's a good, non over priced place to buy bigger sized japanese school uniforms thats not taobao?
I need seifukus and the cardigan/skirt type. I'm looking for comfort and quality, I just don't want to pay $50+ per piece of the outfit.

>> No.7691839

>>7691627
some people are using smart tablets or smart phones, which have a lot of free collage apps. I use pic collage the most, a free iOS app.

>> No.7691952

>>7682254
seconding shapewear; it really can make a difference in how clothes fit you. also, fuller skirts and ruffly tops create an illusion of volume away from your waist, giving you more of a defined shape.
>>7682417
start off about their costume; if they seem receptive, keep going. don't push, offer your facebook if it's really seeming like they're open to it. Cosplayers are just people like you, just in costumes. That's it.
>>7685350
tbh there are some cosplays I'd never bother to make because there are like 900 at every con. Yuna from FF, that kind of thing. Do what makes you happy - if you're in it just to get looked at, then buy, but if you're in it to make and learn, then make. A mix is fine, too.

My question: would it be terrible to use knit stretchy fabric without prewashing? I usually handwash costumes but I keep hearing IT'LL SHRINK OMG and I don't want to deal with trying to wash 3 yards of this stuff in my crap machine.

>> No.7692068

What do you do at aftercon parties? Are they fun if you don't drink?

>> No.7692073

test

>> No.7692075

>>7692068
Depends if you like being around drunk retards while sober

>> No.7692078

>>7691627
I use Photoshop because it's easier to move/crop things individually, but MSPaint is an option too when my PS is in one of its crashing moods.

>> No.7692119

>>7679692
I'm attending a con alone for the first time this weekend. I'm a little nervous, but I know quite a few people going who I can meet up with if all else fails. It'll be an interesting experience though!

>> No.7692847

Do people hook up and have sex at cons?

>> No.7692857

>>7680601
dat chin is hawt tho

>> No.7692890

>>7692847
I imagine it happens, just as it can happen at any kind of gathering.

>> No.7692977

>>7679692

Nope. I barley have any friends, and the few I do hate anime so no one to go with. I can't talk to strangers alone, so I end up missing every con despite me wanting to go so bad. It sucks.

>> No.7693115

>>7692977
I never go alone, but I always split up and go by myself when we get there. I don't think it's very different. There's going to be a lot of people with similar interests, just try to have a chat. Talking to someone is like a skill, you just need practice

>> No.7693123

>>7692977
sell the barley and buy some friends buckaroo

>> No.7693639

>>7688601
It's ok anon, you're not alone in being a creeper. I lurk lolita threads constantly even though I have no desire to make the transfer from otome, but lolitas are just so pretty.

Plus, I'd want to be sweet, having the face and stature of a 12 year old will make me look like an ageplayer.

>> No.7696935

What's it like wearing Lolita to a con?

>> No.7696941

>>7696935
You get asked for pics and stuff, so not very much different from putting on cosplay. You occasionally get confused for wearing a costume by other congoers. Some lolitas get annoyed by this, but I don't. I've been snubbed by lolitas too many times when I'm just in cosplay. It's not that hard to just correct people.

>> No.7696950

>>7691627
If you're looking for something free with a little more oomph, try GIMP or my favorite Paint.net (google paint dot net otherwise you end up at a paint website)