[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 200 KB, 1024x768, pileseverywhere.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8028675 No.8028675 [Reply] [Original]

We all have a project or twenty that we never got around to finishing. Maybe you got fed up after ripping out one seam too many, or you smeared fresh paint, or your group ditched you in the planning stages. Whatever the reason, there's a box you avoid that's full of supplies for costumes, props, or wigs.

Let's finish these projects. Post your storage, talk about your horrible mistakes, figure out how you can repurpose the weirdly specific items, or buckle down and get those costumes done.

Not the progress thread - you don't have to wear these things anytime soon, just make them earn the space their taking up.

>> No.8028760
File: 363 KB, 1416x640, photo 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is the perfect thread for me! Pictured: the contents of 3/5 of my fabric storage bins I've collected over the last 10 years. I decided to sew more as part of my New Year's resolution (or at least while I still have time off for Christmas break) so today I started tearing through them looking for inspiration for a project to work on.

>> No.8028762
File: 144 KB, 358x358, enhanced-buzz-30845-1366998152-17.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8028760
Right now I'm making a pillow out of this fabric for next Christmas but after that I'm not sure what I should work on because I have so much material it's kind of overwhelming. Most of this is t-shirt fabric and small shreds of material, there's not a whole lot here that would be good for a large, solid garment.

>> No.8028763
File: 57 KB, 570x321, il_570xN.668660525_n8zy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8028762
I'd really love to learn how to make stuff like this but I'm worried I'd fuck it up and end up looking like a crazy bag lady.

>> No.8028771
File: 780 KB, 1280x960, 2014-07-19-19-52-31_deco.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have too many unfinished projects. One of the ones I can probably finish easy is Scheherazade from Magi but I haven't been keeping up with the series at all

This isn't all of it but this is the extra fabric I have so far in bins. Not including white faux sherpa roll that I don't know what to use for and some more yards of white cotton sateen somewhere in the house.

I'm not sure what to do with these...

>> No.8028776

>>8028771
Top left clockwise, cotton sateen, thin broadcloth, some cheap fabric from a while back, I don't remember what type it is.., stretchy fabrics, extras pieces that dont make a yard but still a decent amount to save for something

>> No.8028778
File: 1.71 MB, 500x278, 1414095682928.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've actually been planning to go through my fabric and see what I have. I have some unfinished skirts too.

Related story
>Go through sewing and fabric.
>Gather up extra supplies and excess fabric.
>Take it to friends place. We're getting together to go fabric shopping in the fashion district and work on cosplay.
>"Hey guys. You can go through my extra stuff and see if there's anything you need Or would like"
>Friends get fabric for projects. Extra snaps, threads, and one gets the EXACT bias tape she was going to buy at JoAnns for an Idol Master group.

>MFW, I get a happy feeling when my fabric horde have saved my friends money on fabric and notions.

>> No.8028945

Finished altering two blouses today that have been WIPs for months. You can do it guys!

>> No.8029148

>>8028771
Sell em'
>I'd buy that fur

>> No.8029813
File: 449 KB, 500x301, 12093847.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8028763
I feel you anon, I want to start making my own cosplays, but I'm too scared I'll mess it all up, I have all the fabric and wigs I need, but they're just sitting in my storage room because I'm too nervous to even touch them. I plan on cleaning up my storage room next weekend and at least practicing with my sewing machine... I just don't know where to even begin.

>> No.8029817

>making Etna cosplay
>buy 2yd of each fabric I need
>Need like 1/4 yd of each
>finish making the top and skirt
>no motivaton to make wings
>want to use leftover spandex for other shit
>no motivation to work on those either
>no motivation at all for anything
>everything sits on my desk for months

>> No.8029866

I hate boot covers. I'm also lacking funds to start doing resin casting. Therefore, my Mami cosplay will likely not get finished. I literally completed all the sewing parts like 3 years ago...

>> No.8030451

>December 2008, start working on Joseph Joestar cosplay
>Slow progress cause it wasn't planned for any convention at the time
>September or october 2009, receive pm from a few cosplayers who wants me in their Jojo group at a con in november
>Cosplay is nowhere near done, sewing machine is broken and I'm down with a bad case of awful sad feels
>Say yes to join group anyway cause I knew 0 Jojo fans and had very little con friends then
>Rush to finish cosplay as much as I can, most of it ends up looking like absolute shit
>Show up to con only to meet Jojo fans and figure out I'm the only one who actually brought the cosplay with me at all
>tfw

>Present day
>Having a major nostalgic trip over Jojo
>Despite growing hips and boobs over the years, the costume still fits pretty damn well
This is sadly going to be a genderbend thing, since I don't really have enough fabric to make the top and pants wider and fuck if I'm gonna remake it from scratch. I am at least super happy that this cosplay is actually starting to look good now.

This is just one cosplay of many that I've never finished or bought fabrics for and never even started. Maybe someday.

>> No.8034371

Bump! Please don't let this thread die.

>> No.8034991
File: 30 KB, 283x438, 1420438140265.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8029817
If you're that Etna from the progress thread, finish it! You looked like you'd make a great Etna (and even if you're not her I hope you find the motivation to continue working).

My slightly relevant story is
>June 2014, ask boyfriend to cosplay the kid from Bastion for NYCC because he'd be perfect
>He will only do it if I cosplay Zia with him
>Agree, get to working on her ridiculously layered outfit
>Keep asking him how his shit is going, only response is "oh I'll start soon" (the kid's armor is so easy, I don't understand)
>NYCC is here
>Completed Zia, boyfriend does not have anything done
>Cosplay alone, get recognized by like 2 people after spending hundreds on fabric/materials
>tfw

So now all of the supplies for his clothing are sitting untouched (I'll do it myself for him one day). And I have a costume that is so fucking obscure that a Red from Transistor didn't know who I was, and a group of 10 people stopped her while I was right there. Sorry, I just really wanted to rant, I haven't been able to since it happened.

>> No.8035097
File: 30 KB, 526x349, cosplay fabric.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh god I am all about this thread. All my fabric is stored in these huge drawers under my bed and the majority of it may be useful in the future but oh god so much fleece. There's the right hand side of this drawer and half of another drawer. I bought it all when I used to make hats and I haven't made anything with it for years but I can't bear to throw it away because there is just so much of it and it would be such a waste.

>> No.8037045
File: 3.82 MB, 5312x2988, 20150105_202815.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

man I needed this thread. I keep buying stupid quilting fabric I don't fucking need. I always had a fabric problem, but it's gotten super out of control lately. pic related is my current stash in my room. I also have scraps and abandoned projects in pretty much every corner of my parents house. I even have about 20 yards of bridal satin hanging out in my car that a friend "gifted" to me because I told her I wanted to do godoka. and a bolt of duck cloth and 4 garbage bags of rib knit edging. most of my projects are casual and lolita so they aren't even super hard or time consuming. just the more I buy, the more I lose interest in older projects I was excited about. I'm gonna really try and at least finish the projects pictured this year. if I can do that, I'll be happy.

>> No.8037092

>>8037045
Oh you got that cute mushroom fabric, I keep looking at it longingly and trying to tell myself not to get it since I have literally no use for it too

>> No.8037162

EVERYONE WITH FABRIC THEY WANT TO GET RID OF:

>look for your city's garage sale group on Facebook
>post some pics of your fabric
>list them as a lot (or separate them into a lot of solids, knits, etc)
>wait for people to buy them

I posted a lot of fabric I never touched and within five minutes someone said they'd buy the lot. No, you won't get what you paid for but you'll clear your storage and your fabric will get good use. If you don't have a Facebook then post on Craigslist.

>>8037045
Love that hello kitty fabric! Where'd you get it?

>> No.8037200

>>8037162
totally just bought it as a remnant today at joann's along with the MLP fabric. it's going to probably be a fleece blanket with maybe some blocks and a border. don't really want to get crazy.

the problem with working at joann's is that I see all of the remnants before they go out and I always work on new stock days. the employee discount doesn't help either. it's too dangerous working at a fabric store.

bottom right dressform and measuring tape is going to be an apron for work. the princess and villains we supposed to be the same, but now i'm making skirts and dresses out of them.

>>8037092
thanks. that was another remnant buy. we don't carry it at my store anymore. I think I got the last of it. I was planning on making a bag or something. but honestly I'll probably sell it off or gift it.

>> No.8037225

>>8037200
>JoAnn's
Oh yeah! Now that I think of it they have some really cute hello kitty fabric now. I'm low on some supplies so I'll have to go and see if they have any of that fabric left while I'm there. Not sure what I'd do with fleece though.

>> No.8037926

Has anyone actually finished anything?

My progress is being hampered by work. I feel kinda useless but I'm too tired to start drafting patterns.

>> No.8039215
File: 56 KB, 500x500, so sadd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8037926
I finished some small projects this winter break like taking in the sleeves of a jacket and fixing the hem on some jeans but I haven't done a big project in a long time. I kind of want to try to make something with the week the have left to feel productive but I worry it'll sit on my sewing table partially finished until the summer.

>> No.8039271
File: 52 KB, 380x454, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>two buckets of fabric from backed out commissions and dropped cosplay groups.
>sorted through and threw out about half.
>con in a month and I just bought 15+ more yards of fabric.
Why.

>> No.8039303

>>8037926
I organised all my fabrics and finally freed myself by chucking out both a skirt i started making in my newbie days that would be ugly as sin even if finished properly now, and a couple blouses I know I'd rather donate than actually bother taking in the ridiculous amount necessary for them to not hang like sacks on me... does that count?

>> No.8039327

>>8039303

This sounds like awesome common sense to me, I'm gonna go home and do the same to a skirt with the fugliest fabric ever. Why waste time and effort on something you'll never use. Even if you finished it you'd end up chucking it out when you clean your wardrobe anyway.

>> No.8039342
File: 18 KB, 499x371, 10893472_1011345295547011_1260136097_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8034991
>Bastion
>Mah nigga
Anon, I would've recognized you! I would've actually been so happy to see you omg

>> No.8039446
File: 91 KB, 470x835, IMG_20150106_170247_821.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just cleaned up my wire cubes. Colored baskets have costumes and projects, bottom row is fabrics by color groups. Top row is shipping envelopes and boxes for my etsy store. Used to have "Hi my name is..." labels on the costume baskets but they never stayed on.

>> No.8039478

i havnt even started my project and I need it in less than 2 months, as well as helping a lot of other people with theirs and making around 200+ armbands...

but I cleaned up my sewing room. I mean, its not spotless, but its a lot cleaner so...still progress