[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 1.16 MB, 250x250, 1412814687269.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8322708 No.8322708 [Reply] [Original]

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that more and more people are going to "anime" cons yet the focus on anime is becoming less and less prevalent?

Seriously, all the ones I have gone to within the last year, maybe 1/4'th of the people there were in something anime(ish) for their cosplay and the same ratio applies to the subject matter of the panels.

Hell, some people I have had the honor of talking to gave me remarks such as "Oh, i've never watched anime, but I like Batman!"

>> No.8322719

It's a sad truth, however to be fair it's really just an American problem.

Other countries are at least intelligent enough to keep things on topic.

>> No.8322811

FUCKING NORMIES GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWOvUxxo59o

>> No.8322841

>>8322708
Because people are too afraid of excluding anyone and hurting their little feelings. Fewer and fewer cons are having the balls to go "Okay, this con is about anime. If you want Superwholock or Homestuck, or some other shit that isn't Japanese animation, go somewhere else."

Oh, the hipsters. Looking through this year's photo gallery for my local con's rave made me want to kill myself.

>> No.8322859

>>8322708
>"Oh, i've never watched anime, but I like Batman!"

Last con I went to, I actually had a guy say to me, "Oh, I HATE anime, I'm just here to wander around and drink".

It's a good thing I was raised to be super-polite or I would have gone "Well, if you hate anime, then why the FUCK are you at an anime convention" and probably started a fight. Fuck that guy and everyone like him.

>> No.8322909

>>8322859
There's a lot of these types on /cgl/ too, actually.

>> No.8323050

>>8322841
As someone who was once sadly in both fandoms I can say about 90% homostucks I've encountered like anime, but are just cosplaying as one of their characters. There's also a lot of anime references in the comic itself.

I however have no defense for Superwholock and try to pretend they don't exist.

>> No.8323053

>>8323050

Regardless if they like anime or not, doesn't that still defeat the purpose. I'm not going to pay a bunch of money totravel, dress up and discuss Star Wars at a DC convention, despite the fact many DC fans like Star Wars.

I came here for DC, dammit.

>> No.8323071

>>8322841
I agree that anime cons are becoming more diluted over time, but cons are a business. If cons decide to ban any non anime related stuff, it can piss off the people who come to the con and spend money (unfortunately seems like a majority are non anime now). Also makes it hard for grey area stuff, like ATLA.

Wish cons would start banning body paint though. Would cut down on both Homestucks and body paint horror stories.

>> No.8323114

>>8322708
HEY! Remember when Comic Con was about comicbooks? No? Me either.

>> No.8323131

>>8323114
I don't think it ever advertised itself as such. The name just implies it's about comics. However, even if I am wrong, that only means Comic Con is part of the problem.

>> No.8323134

>>8323114

> magnifying the issue.

>> No.8323146

>>8323131
>I don't think it ever advertised itself as such.

Uhh...when it first came out, it was basically a book fair.

>> No.8323155

>>8323146
Then not that I remembered, is a better statement. Regardless, that still makes it part of the problem.

>> No.8323336

There are some cons that stay true to their theme. Ushicon in Austin, for example. After the original Ushi started going in the "all fandoms" direction, the con chair decided that wasn't what he wanted, so they stopped doing it. Another con (Ikkicon) sprang up to take the convention scene in Austin, and eventually the founder of Ushi decided to bring his con back but forbid anything not specifically related to anime. Ikki gets several thousand people while Ushi gets a few hundred, but those few hundred know exactly why they're there, and everyone is okay with that.

>> No.8323342

I think it's a trend for most cons, from big to small.

For smaller cons, it's usually a matter of limited support in an area- appealing to a broader spectrum and allowing more and more influences ups the numbers.

For bigger cons, it's similar. Once they reach the peak of a certain interest, it's only natural to need to bring in others to keep growing.

Look at Dragon*Con, look at ComicCon, it's just a natural evolution.

>> No.8323344

Have you ever considered that anime is shit

>> No.8323351

I'm one of those elitist weebs that think anime cons should only be about anime (and manga/Japanese games, shush).
Most of the cons in my area advertise themselves as Japanese culture conventions, specifically, and that's fine.

I know that people have diversified interests and might like MLP or Western comics or whatever the fuck, but.. too bad. Go somewhere else for your Western fix. You don't have to have every one of your media-interests at a single anime convention.
And letting it happen is only going to get worse.

I think a lot of the "well I'm just here to drink" types used to like anime but grew out of it, but going to <x>con has become such a habit that they continue showing up, then get mad when it's not as fun as when they were 15. The con didn't change, you did. The con shouldn't have to change for you.

Anime has become a lot more available, look at how much shit is on Netflix, so it's not like the conventions are running out of anime fans to appeal to.

>> No.8323501

Hypothetical question

If you ran an anime con with anime culture being the focus (anime related panels, anime only masqurade etc) and noticed that a large amount of your badge buying population (that's growing each year) ends up being from non anime related properties and starts demanding more programing devoted to non anime stuff what would you do?

>> No.8323506

>>8323501
Fuck 'em. Don't go to an anime convention and ask for non-anime.
It's like going to a steakhouse (by yourself, of your own volition) and ordering a salad.

>> No.8323516

>>8323351
And most people aren't willing to watch subbed (including con-goers), though, and that's probably where the biggest rift between casual fans and hardcore fans lies.

Like most people at general nerd cons have probably watched a couple of anime and enjoyed some it, but the type who regularly watches airing currently anime.

>> No.8323522

>>8323506
...but if it's on the menu, why is that bad?

I mean, if the con wants my money and I want to give it, what benefit besides "muh purity" do they get if they refuse it?

>> No.8323532

The more things included in a convention, the more people will go, which means higher demand for tickets, which means they can jack the prices up for tickets.

>> No.8323538

>>8323506
So you're going to alienate a HUGE part of your con that's buying badges? I'm not as thick skinned. If I noticed the demands of my crowd changing them I would also change to stay with them

>> No.8323541

>>8323522
Yeah it's on the menu, but there will only be one (maybe two?) generic salad options, and you're missing out on everything else the restaurant offers. If you go there often and keep ordering it (maybe you're vegetarian), you're honestly wasting your time. Go to a salad bar where you have more choices.
It's even worse if you expect the steakhouse to expand their salad options.

>> No.8323545

>>8323522
It changes to reason for the original con for existing and alienates the initial audience. I like kinda obscure anime, so when I go to an anime con that appeals to a wide variety of people the likelihood of me finding other people to talk to those sorts of show plummets.

As a business, however, there's little benefit and it really sucks for people like me.

>> No.8323588

>>8323351
>go somewhere else for your fix
Not all areas have a ton of "western" cons since there aren't a ton of cons that focus on western stuff. A lot of them are more corporate (Comiccons), hard to get a badge for (PAX), or a mess (Dashcon).

I agree and think anime cons should keep their programming content related to anime, but I don't blame people for taking their business to their local anime con. There's a ton of varying sizes, they're cheap and fairly easy to get a badge for (depending on location), and you know that the people you're around will generally have similar interests (there's a ton of overlap). People have tried to make more general cons (see: Dashcon), but it seems like it hasn't gone very well so far.

>> No.8323603

>>8323588
The problem is when you go to general nerd cons the more genres they fit the more diluted it feels.

>> No.8323625 [DELETED] 

>>8323344
Have you ever considered that sending hundreds to thousands of dollars on an event dedicated to something you consider shit is full retard?

>> No.8323638

>>8323344
Have you ever considered that spending hundreds to thousands of dollars to attend an event dedicated to something you consider shit is full retard?

>> No.8323646

I secretly want to put an anime like "now and then, here and there" on loop on an anime convention registration line.

>> No.8323658

I'm mostly bothered by it because of the insane overcrowding at larger cons. There are just way too many people coming to them now that they've turned into "general nerd culture hangout" cons. All those extra people just showing up to hang out and clog the hallways are making it harder and harder for the attendees who are actually interested in the core content of the convention to have a good time.
I'm wondering if there's a big enough audience now for someone to start a western toon or video game convention to help with some crowd control, because those people show up to anime cons in droves because there aren't any big events targeted directly at them. There's Bronycon for the ponyfags, but that's only one specific niche.

>> No.8323674

>>8323658
Those already exist.
Either way I like that there's more diversity at anime cons. The previous cons I've been to were filled with a million pre teen narutos cosplayers and chubby yaoi chicks. I feel like that's a more awkward group to be around than people my own age with more similar interests.

>> No.8323688

>>8322719

Nope, happens in the UK too. Parents with children showing up to stare at cosplayers, stupid Marvel BBC TV shit everywhere. I've been on the train to the biggest convention in the UK and heard some catwoman + corset bitching about 'Anime weirdos'

>> No.8323696
File: 82 KB, 750x709, 1429579604547.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't really care about people cosplaying outside the anime verse, but I can't stand people attending cons who don't care about anime, regardless of their reason for being there. It's fine if your friends or SO wanted you to come, but the least you can do is be respectful and try to have fun, instead of bitching the entire time and acting like you're above all the people there. Almost every convention I go to, there's at least one person hanging out with one of my friends groups there that is bringing everyone down by complaining about how bored they are and how stupid anime is. If you hate anime so much that you can't shut up about it for one weekend, just tell your friends you really don't want to go. They might be disappointed, but it's far preferable to dealing with Buzz Killington all weekend.

>> No.8323728

Problem is that there's a perception that anime is shit now but everything that we perceive from the "good old days" was stuff that came out alongside shitty shows in their own day. Now with every season we have to wait and see if anything good comes of it or most likely until enough hype is made about it. In the meantime people would just rather watch their cartoons which are catering to a much more broad age range than they used to. Meanwhile Im trying to find good anime and have to reject Witchcraft Works, Chaika Coffin Princess and The Irregular at Magic High all in a row because they immediately smear up a decent premise with little sister bullshit.

>> No.8323730

Yeah this is something that me and my con buddy have noticed. We have both going to cons for over ten years, and there has definitely been a switch. When I started, it was all either people not in costume, or they were cosplaying as anime. Here and there was a Japanese game cosplay, but I don't ever remember seeing anything otherwise. Nowadays, there is brony/superwholock/harry potter/homestuck/steampunk/etc/ or crossover cosplays everywhere, and it seems to be an almost 3:2 ratio of anime/ japanese games vs everyone else (not including people either not in cosplay or jfashion). On the other hand the comic cons around here have the same problem. There is tons of people in anime in there too, though it doesn't help that they actually bring in anime voice actors and so it does actually cater to the fans.

Then again a lot of other things have changed in this decade along with it, everything from the level of cosplay, and the attitude and feel of the cons in general, but that's another tale.

>> No.8323813
File: 17 KB, 300x300, NOFX_-_Don&#039;t_Call_Me_White_cover[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sung to the tune of 'Separation of Church and Skate' by NOFX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYLqvfckh-U
Lost in a sea of spandex suits,
Dark Horse, DC and Marvel too.
When did our cons become so tame?
(When did the masses jump the boat?)
The kids who used to live for Haruhi,
(Now want their TV shows)
Glomps and yaoi paddles are not allowed,
In fact lets keep fun levels down.

Must keep the normalfags at bay.

Why don't we put bans on large props,
Big cardboard swords they must be stopped.
Then we can carry airsoft guns,
(Ensure safety for everyone).
We want to make our con PG,
(Make every stall a meet and greet).
We can shun the manga creeps,
While we drool over Jess Nigiri.
Our PG land of decency.

I know it wasn't Bleach or Death Note,
That drove up what we should pay,
To enjoy graphic art.
Somehow we got driven apart.

Don't want tumblr to represent,
We knew cosplay was not consent.
Your morals aren't majority,
(Stop using words like 'PoC').
You tell us cosplay needs to change,
(But never watched an anime).
Teenage angst and politics,
(Have filled our cons with high school cliques).
(These fucking guests are all the same).
We want workshops we want VAs,
(We want signings and Q&As).
Is anyone here still a fan,
Of comic books made in Japan?

>> No.8323962

After going to a few conventions organised by the same organisation and seeing it was either mostly anime / a high amount of anime, I got used to that. The con isn't for just anime, but one I went to had barely any Japanese stuff there, and mostly Western stuff. I complained a little after getting back, and it wasn't really because there was too much Western, just not enough of what I went there for. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some Western stuff but when you go to something that supplies a lot of what you went for, it sucks when there's a massive change. I wouldn't have been so salty about it if there weren't so many stalls selling the same shit as the stall behind it

>> No.8324960

Shit you not at Anime Matsuri this year there were two guys trying to drop their mixtapes to people, both on the forums and at the con. Someone asked them on the forums what anime they liked and they responded with "Nigga I don't like that gay ass shit." Why? Why the fuck are you showing up to a con to pass out your mixtape and get drunk like go do that on your own time don't slease up my convention

>> No.8325018

I feel like most of this problem could be solved if Deadpool and Spiderman costumes/clothing were banned entirely.

You want to dress as a western comic book hero? Pick someone who isn't a fuck meme.

>> No.8325044

>>8322811
/thread

>> No.8325345

the main issue with cons, anime is like the one community that you actively get shit on if you even suggest you like anything older than the year 2000. any other community wants to know where the thing they love comes from and the history of how it grew, not anime fans, they actively show their disgust for old anime.

i am just going to go on /m/ and talk about my gundams again because fuck this aldnoah zero bullshit that is nothing but a poor man's gundam. its a pain being an old anime fan and having to put up with all these goddamn weeaboos

>> No.8325351

>>8325345
>they actively show their disgust for old anime.
Disinterest != disgust

I cosplayed Kei from the original dirty pair last year and got high fives from the old fuck 30-somethings who recognized me.

>> No.8325353

>>8322708
no because this is a thing in any hobby and it's something you get over pretty fast (or at least you should be getting over it)

>> No.8325357

>>8325345
Idk I've had the opposite experience of running into lots of elitists who turn their nose up at anime made AFTER 2000 and shit on people who like newer anime.

Much like yourself, anon.

Personally I don't care about when it's made as long as it's good.

>> No.8325396

>>8323344
>Posting on 4chan

>> No.8325449

I agree that anime cons should be specialized. It helps everyone.

However there are certain things that I think can be made concessions for.

The people who are just there because they read a comic book once piss me off. Like don't come just for the spectacle and to put on your Snapchat that you said you came.

And I'm one of the people who generally spends most of the time in the game room. It's kind of hard for me to not be when the only tournaments for fighting games held in your area are at cons.

I usually wander around and check out some panels though.

>> No.8325670
File: 1.71 MB, 400x271, Olu7Hh8.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As far as things like video games go, i'm fine as long as the subject matter of said game is clearly anime at an anime con or western at a more western based con, etc. For example, Guilty Gear is clearly recognizable as anime, you don't even need to play vidya to realize that, same goes for things like Neptunia or Final Fantasy, the list goes on. It's only when we have people cosplaying as dovahkhin at an obvious otaku fest or kawaii cat-girl at Star Wars gathering that my issues begin.

>> No.8325682

>>8322841
This. A lot of con organizers crack under the pressure when self-entitled tumblr maggots demand them to serve programming suitable for them instead of staying in topic because they're afraid of being branded as elitists or some shit. Which is why we get clusterfucks of conventions that don't satisfy anyone except for the superwholock teens who wouldn't attend the programs anyway.

>> No.8325801

If it's billed as an anime con, the con should only do anime related programming, only let animus in the masq, Japanese guests only, etc.

But people should cosplay what they want and if people want to pay for a badge and hang around all day in marvel shit, that's on them. One less asshole in front of me in the autograph lines, and it makes more money for the con. As long as they aren't shit talking anime fans, who cares.

This is how my local con in Boston works and it seems like it works out ok.

>> No.8325803

>>8322719
>HAHAHA
Welcome to Finland.

>> No.8325866

>>8322708
I blame the superhero movies.

>> No.8325986

My local convention was anime/manga/japanese videogames only and had a transition welcoming western media to please a very small crowd (like, 1/8 of the assistence). We want anime only convention and the staff just ignores us. There is no other convention where I live. They are starting to ignore the 1/8 crowd too, so it's a matter of time that we are left with no conventions at all.

>> No.8326000

I know people who went from being anime/manga fans to just liking superhero comics. I'm kind of surprised at this, not to sound too weeb but from reading series from both sides I still think manga is much better. Is it just because comics are more accessible or seem like more of an adult interest in comparison?

>> No.8326012

>>8325345
Congrats, you sound like an elitist yourself.

Also unlike what some people think, just because something is old or new doesn't make it good or bad.

Open up to those 'weeaboos' before complaining how nobody likes you for crying about how only old gundam is good.

>> No.8326019

>>8326000
I guess, it seems like it's cool to 'grow out of' anime as if it's a bad thing to like. You see it in art communities too 'Yeah I used to draw anime but I grew out of it" and then proceed to draw in every tumblr trend possible.

And I feel you on the other part too, because I feel like at least manga has a broader range of interests other then just super heroes.

>> No.8326082

i know some people who only go to the cons for the raves. this isnt a new thing.

>> No.8326186

>>8322841

Tumblr-anime otakus keep telling me that it doesn't matter how weird I am, they will accept me as I am. Normalfags can be accepted with their quirks too

>> No.8326197

>>8323501

Remember when Animax started to play old cheap hollywood movies only?

>> No.8326205

>>8323501
Why don't just start a tumblr-accepting con instead?
everything-con

>> No.8326215

>>8323696

I find this attitude common in other fandoms. I met a friend-of-a-friend attending a Lolita meet-up saying that she didn't know what she was wearing and didn't care or liked, but went because she was asked to (as if she was doing an amazing-divine favor from the kindest divine self of hers). It is like screaming for attention, like being the extreme-contra-culture.

Embrace yourself, the worst is comming...

>> No.8326231

>>8322708

>Anime is easier to get now. Downloads are way faster.
>In my country there are specialized stores where any day of the year I can find the Manga I'm interested in (if I don't download it or is not too rare)
>They also sell plushies and generic related toys
>Cosplay is becoming more a net-based community, where having a blog and sharing online is more important (e-fame)
>Going to a con was in the past (for me) a need to get some products/CDs/mangas/comics etc, and now I don't have reason to pay 100 bucks to spend three days with a bunch of adult-babies strolling over-priced stores that sell the same I could get anywhere else.
>Cons don't fullfill my anime-needs anymore

>> No.8326240

>>8326231
>In my country there are specialized stores where any day of the year I can find the Manga I'm interested in (if I don't download it or is not too rare)
>They also sell plushies and generic related toys

I'm jealous, which country?

>> No.8326276

>>8326240
Probably the US or France. It's ridiculously easy to import anime and manga related items now compared to a few years ago.

>> No.8326304

>>8325449
>The people who are just there because they read a comic book once piss me off. Like don't come just for the spectacle and to put on your Snapchat that you said you came.

That sounds elitists. We all start somewhere. Some of the most loyal con goers started because they were curious about what was going on and then stayed because they loved the experience.

I got a question of my own. How come there are so few small comic based conventions. You see so many small upstart anime cons but it seems like the ones worth going to that are /co/ base are so business oriented. What is it about comic conventions that people don't bother with running smaller events

>> No.8326314

>>8322811
>>8325044
No not /thread, it is not about "normies" The issue is with people having the inability to keep shit on topic.
Or cunts like cat-woman from
>>8323688
going to an anime convention and complaining about anime.

>> No.8326330

>>8326000
It's a combination of taste changing, the readers growing older and people expanding what they read.

You read manga so long then going to comics is going to be a refreshing change of pace. Not to mention since comics tend to focus on older characters then its a lot easier to relate to them once you're at college level. I personally can only read so many stories focusing on teenage problems in high school that they do get meshed together. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy manga but I find myself a bit more selective with what I read now just because I practically inhaled the stuff when I was younger.

>> No.8326332

>>8325803
Seconding this as a Finn. Finland has around 5-7 (depending on your perception) major conventions in a year and only two of them are purely anime-themed, and they're the summer Desucon and the winter Desucon, so they're basically the same convention. They get constant pressuring to change their schedule to allow western-themed programs and western costumes in the cosplay contest. I'm glad they're not caving in to the demands but I feel sorry for them having to listen to the constant demands of whiny western fans who can't deal with the fact that conventions don't exist to please them exclusively. I keep seeing people who buy the ticket, pay for the trip and put on a cosplay yet still bitch and moan about the programs and guests being only anime-themed and how the cosplay contests only allow eastern sources and how there are too many anime fans around. If you don't like the theme, then Just. Don't. Go.

>> No.8326600

>>8326205

hmm, they should call it dashcon. Maybe have a ballpit. I hear they are fun.

>> No.8326643

>>8326240
Mexico

and I know there are also in the UK

>> No.8327180

>>8326304
Where do you live? In Oregon we have more small press comics conventions than you could ever want.

>> No.8327227

>>8325345
>>8325345
I watch anime since I was 5 (I'm 28) and I do think older animes were bad than today's anime. You do think old anime were good because you were a child. Try to watch them again now, you'll feel second-hand embarrasment due to the poor character developtment and nonsense stories.

>> No.8327248

>>8326330
>You read manga so long then going to comics is going to be a refreshing change of pace. Not to mention since comics tend to focus on older characters then its a lot easier to relate to them once you're at college level. I personally can only read so many stories focusing on teenage problems in high school that they do get meshed together.

Unless you're me, who had no experience with the opposite sex at all in high school so watching anime is the only way to feel like your stunted view of romance and sex relates to anyone...

>> No.8327347

>>8323658
I've been to a video game convention, and I've seen the reverse happen. Anime fans come and cosplay their fav anime characters at them just because it's a convention.

>> No.8327475

>>8326330
what? I'm almost 30, still think western comics are utterly shit and manga is far, far better.

>> No.8327487

What annoys me about cons is how (at least in my country) in every con you see k-pop related stuff: panels, stores with k-pop stuff, even cosplay... but no japanese music in sight.

>> No.8327575

>>8327487
This. Even Kpop dance competitions like what the hell.

Kpop get your own shit.

>> No.8327763

>>8327475
95% of anything is crap. You're not reading the good stuff. I can flip the script and say manga is utterly crap and I'd be dead wrong

>> No.8327778

>>8327487
Same. The Kpop people (???) in my area tend to buy up ~4 booths in the Dealer Room to set up huge displays and blast music.
Weirdly, I don't know if there's enough Korean media in the West to hold conventions like there are Japanese.

>> No.8327797

>>8323728
There is plenty of great anime, including stuff from the past 10 years. You just have to dig past the anime made for people who are just stupid, horny, or both. Since American anime fans tend to be one, the other, or both, shows with dumb storylines, plot holes, "I t-think I like my little sister...", fujoshit (100% explains the recent popularity of sports anime), and girls with big boobs who have the faces of 8-year-olds are what sells.

>> No.8327801

>>8327487
Kpop does have a vague relation to anime, though. The Korean and Japanese pop music industries influence each other a great deal (to the point that some JPop has Korean lyrics and vice-versa), and some anime feature KPop music.

>> No.8327814

>>8323506
But what if you order salad with your steak?

>> No.8327829

>>8323658
Fuck I would do anything for a cartoon convention.

>> No.8327940

>>8323506
I don't eat meat/fish/poultry. You'd be surprised how good the salads are at high end restaurants.

>> No.8328087

I could list every western thing at anime cons that bothers the fuck out of me but I feel like if I did at least 2 or 3 of the items would offend someone here.

I will say, however, that you probably don't know what the fuck you're doing as a con advisor if you hire an actual clown for the con and let NERF hold a booth just to advertise their products.

>> No.8328137

I don't really care about the mix of comics and anime at cons.

Frankly I just hate all these people that just aren't fucking nerds. Normies treating cons as halloween frat parties for sex and booze. Ravers only there for the rave and shitting it up with all their gross drugs, and now with feminists coming in and take up good panel spaces for their soap boxing.

>> No.8328144

>>8328137
>feminists coming in and take up good panel spaces for their soap boxing.
all of my rage

>> No.8328175
File: 28 KB, 449x311, 1428324798529.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8328137
>>8328144
>tfw back when RP panels were still a thing and some sjw RPer or asker would ruin it for everyone so someone would have to improv something silly to shut them up and lift the mood again

I'm glad those panels are banned from several cons now, awkward moments like that happened way too often.

>> No.8328328

>>8328087
Kek did this actually happen anywhere?

>> No.8329000

>>8328087
List 'em anyway. The thread could use it.

>> No.8329746

>Frankly I just hate all these people that just aren't fucking nerds.
THIS.

>Normies treating cons as halloween frat parties for sex and booze.
YES. GOD, I wish they would all just fuck off.

>> No.8331847

>>8323501

I see what you're saying, but fans are people, not corporations. Of course we all know WHY conventions do it, but that doesn't mean we have to support it, or accept it.

Imagine your favorite band suddenly started churning out shitty pop music and then made a statement saying "Well we're getting more money from this". They might be getting more money, but you aren't. As a fan you don't benefit from them getting money, you end up having your favorite band sound like shit.

Cons are the same, everyone knows WHY they pander to normies, but that doesn't mean we're impressed by it or that we're suddenly going to be happy about it. We don't want those people there full-stop.

>> No.8331957

>>8323728
>they immediately smear up a decent premise with little sister bullshit.
u wut
I don't remember Chaika having imouto stuff at all.

>> No.8331961

I think the way anime cons have evolved is just general nerd culture cons. The guests are probably the only differentiating factor where you'll get strictly anime voice actors or musicians to show up.

You'd be lying to yourself if you dont have any other "nerd interests" past anime. There are plenty of people interested in cartoons (Steven Universe, Adventure time, Korra, General shit that shows up on CN/NIck) and they also have interest in anime. Maybe they want to dress up as a SU character, and its fine because most of the people around you will probably be into it as well. I like anime but I haven't really watched anything as of lately, so I probably won't be going to any panels on anime, but I might want to find some old Sailor Moon merch, or some shit in the AA, and I'd be happy to find art/figures/panels/whatever of the other things I'm interested in.

I kind of appreciate the clash of cultures. I'll get to meet people who like the same DS games as me (It's not a fucking video game convention), as well as the same anime, or whatever other TV show/geeky thing.

I guess I'm all over the place but I just appreciate the popularity of multiple interests feeding anime cons. I like meeting all kinds of people regardless of their main reason of coming. Did you just come to party and drink with nerds cause we're fun? Fuck yeah lets do it! Did you come to check out some really specific anime panel, awesome tell me about it. It's one place where I feel comfortable and happy meeting new people and not feeling weird about it because we all are here for a pretty weird bonding reason

>> No.8331971

>>8331847
And what if your favorite band wasn't making enough money because of the original music they were doing and they were on the edge of completely disbanding?

But they realized maybe making some decent pop like songs ALONG with the old stuff on the album allows them to thrive, grow, tour, and pump out more and better albums?

>> No.8332066

>>8329000
Not the same person, but I'll try that.
MLP
Superwholock
Steven Universe
Adventure Time
Avatar/Korra ("anime-inspired" doesn't count)
Gravity Falls
Comic book stuff
Superhero movies
Homestuck
Disney
Video games which are neither Japanse nor a part of an anime franchise
Welcome to Night Vale (yes, someone tried to start a panel on this at an ANIME con that I go to)
Anything BBC
Steampunk which isn't anime-related
Memes which aren't related to anime

If you like that stuff, fine.
If you want to cosplay that stuff, fine. What people cosplay can't be controlled, so why bother trying?
Just keep it away from the actual programming at a con.
If you think "well, anime is shit these days, so those things are better!", then maybe you don't belong at an anime con. And you have shit taste and are probably watching the wrong kind of anime. Try stuff that wasn't made for either 8-15 year olds or manchildren.

>> No.8332095

>>8331847
One of the main reasons why cons mix programming is that they do not get enough anime only entries for panels or masquerade. If they excluded non Japanese things then they could barely fill up the scheduled.

That or its a smaller con and that they need to attract as many people as possible or else they'll die out

>> No.8332096

>>8326012
No, you fuck off back to Tumblr with your little hug box. Elitism is good and necessary to keep shitters like you out of perfectly good hobbies.

>> No.8332103

>>8332096
what the fuck about that statement had anything to do with a hugbox?

>> No.8332108

>>8332095
There's this con I go to.
I submitted 6 anime panels to them. Most of them had 2 others who signed up.
None of the 6 got time on the schedule.
Instead, the schedule is full of off-topic junk.
"Not enough anime entries" is not always a legit excuse.

>> No.8332114

>>8332108
Depends on what your panels were, but I'd honestly rather have shitty RP panels with anime characters than another MLP debate panel.

It's possible that con heads see it as "I should appeal to more Western things, I guess.. to get a wider audience!" and end up fulfilling their own prophecy that the con will be overrun with Western things.

>> No.8332119

>>8322708

I was alright with Homestuck and SU at cons, because most of the fans are usually into anime but branched out into series that are meant to appeal to them.

But then there's Dr. Who, Supernatural, etc. that aren't even animated, let alone similar to anime.

>> No.8332140

>>8332114

They weren't RP panels or "Ask a..." panels. I feel those panels should be banned unless it is a small con that doesn't get enough submissions.

>> No.8332154

>>8331971

I'm guessing you're not well vested in music. People enjoy bands for more than just the songs that they make, a good band is more than just a collection of musicians making music, they're part of a lifestyle, an ethos, a message and an answer for many people.

For that band to decide that they're going to make pop music because it's more profitable is the end for the fans. Going to their shows will never be the same, listening to their albums will never be the same. It's not something that can be neatly compartmentalized, people don't become interested in bands because they can make a compromise and bands make this mistake all the time quickly followed by their immediate decline.

People like bands because they can relate to them, they're not investors, they don't have shares in the band, they have emotional investment that is quickly invalidated by the pursuit of money over the satisfaction of their fans. A band that sells out is worthless because their original music becomes irrelevant and their new music becomes contrived. Not to mention that no amount of financial misfortune will force a band to disband. Bands that stop making money just go to smaller venues and produce on independent labels instead, most if not all of the bands that you like will have started with nothing. No musical unit apart from manufactured pop groups start immediately making money from their music.

I think you're confusing bands with businesses. Cons are businesses, and people understand why they have to expand to make money, but they don't want that. Nobody goes to a convention BECAUSE it's making money, they go because they enjoy the core aspect of it and in the case of anime conventions, people go because they enjoy anime. When you start taking that away and switching it with Marvel comics, Dr. Who and K-Pop to make more money then of course you're going to get dissatisfaction and no amount of pretty graphs and ticket sales is going to console those people.

>> No.8332184

>>8331961
>You'd be lying to yourself if you dont have any other "nerd interests" past anime.

I do. I love anime and I also have plenty of other things I enjoy, such as being a huge music geek. But I go to a fucking anime con ton enjoy the anime culture and to a music expo/concert to enjoy music. Fuck all this "we're all a big nerd family~" bullshit. It's better to please one target group thoroughly than to make a stupid free-for-all fair that tries to cater to everyone in an equally bad and stale way.

>> No.8332220

Hey you guys remember me telling abut that con in my state that was on a Battleship/War museum that was filled with families and war vets during the con? It was called Kantaicon and was supposed to be Kantai themed but only Hetalia fans/cosplayers showed up because the only two guests were Hetalia voice actors.

Well I just looked up the con and now they're having it at the Omar Shrine. For those of you that don't know about the Shriners, they're a Christian gentlemen's club. They are literally hosting an anime convention in a fucking Christian club.

I bet it's because they got banned from coming back to the museum. It was so cringe seeing elderly war vets be uncomfortable paying their respects on the ship and sharing that piece of their lives with their families while half naked weebs screamed at each other in broken Japanese. I witnessed a katana fight happen on the flight deck of the aircraft carrier (There was three ships and a submarine in the whole museum) and saw two elderly men in uniform try to hurry away from them. And since it was predominantly Hetalia fans, there were lots of cheap fake military uniforms

>> No.8332226

>>8323588
>Not all areas have a ton of "western" cons since there aren't a ton of cons that focus on western stuff.
More areas would if they didn't let so much of it into anime cons. Case and point, a local con-head here closed the con to anything non-anime/japanese and a western animation con started up.

>> No.8332274

>>8332184

I agree. I think some people in this thread don't understand what a convention is about. People would think it the work of trolls if there was a Star Wars panel at a Star Trek convention and they're both similar mediums. Having Western comic books at a Japanese cartoon convention makes no sense at all.

I'm sick of this "Hey you like anime, therefore you MUST be a fan of Korean pop music and Batman! Oh and Sherlock! And let's not forget this podcast that has nothing to do with any of them!" attitude to cons. It only caters for people who want to be a part of the scene instead of the actual subject material. Sorry but I am not like you, I'm not buying into a lifestyle because it's the cool thing to do right now, I'm here because I enjoy anime, so please fuck off with your Captain America shit and stop deciding that Dakimakuras can't be sold just because you brought your shitty kid along to the nerdy geeky freak festival so he can have his picture taken with Spiderman.

>> No.8332282

>>8332220
Everything about this story is genuinely horrifying. God.

>> No.8332285

>>8332220
What made anyone think it's a good idea to gist host a convention in a museum, not invite any guests, going to a war museum IN FAKE WAR CLOTHING. Are people this fucking stupid?

>> No.8332292

>>8332114
"western things" y'all realize you're a bunch of white kids right?

>> No.8332315

>>8332184
Bur "anime culture" isn't being killed at anime cons. The top billing for shit is ALWAYS ANIME at an anime con.

Personally I prefer the mishmash of shit because I don't want to have to spend hundreds of dollars for very specific "cons" that probably would be as well organized as tumblrcon was.

You'll still get to see your VAs and you'll still get your panels from studios, you still get your booths and literally everything else you want. Imagine going to a huge con and all of those things you "hate" not being there. Chances are 1) you'll have shit panels filling up the time anyway 2) places wont even want to rent you the space if you think attendance is going to be garbage, and with low attendance it leads to 3) no fucking guests that want to show up. Why is some major jpop or jrock band want to show up to a convention with under 1k people showing up 4) it eventually fucking DIES because no one cares.

>> No.8332324

>>8332292
.. yeah? Things like Homestuck and Steven Universe were made by other white people. They're Western. Mostly American, at that.

We're not using Western in an "us versus them" sort of thing, if that's what you mean? Just calling them by what they are.

>> No.8332328

>>8332315
Are you honestly implying that there are that few weebs?

>> No.8332329

>>8332274
No one said you "must" be a fan of those things, but chances are you probably are. Chances are all the other people around you probably are too. So as someone who probably will go to maybe one or two major cons a year, why wouldn't you appreciate the fact that you have the *option* to be involved or see those things if you really wanted to.

You don't have to you know. You don't have to go to a Kpop booth. You don't have to visit any panels that you don't have interest in. None of it is required of you, but for those people who like both things they have that option.

Suddenly getting rid of them is NOT going to make the convention you are attending "more quality". If they DID there would be a fuck ton more of those types of conventions that are going strong.

>> No.8332333

>>8332324
I know, I just find it amusing.

>> No.8332339

>>8332329
>Suddenly getting rid of them is NOT going to make the convention you are attending "more quality"

Once again, I don't think you understand what a convention is. The whole point is to focus on the subject matter. Hence why it's an anime convention and not a mixed media convention.

Suddenly getting rid of shitposts and off-topic isn't going to make /cgl/ better right? Better keep them there just in case someone likes them.

>> No.8332341

>>8332328
Have you been to a really small local con? Have you seen how those things are run and how "interesting" they are? Have you ever heard of good guests attending a small convention? Really?

Huge cons are the way that they are because of attendance of all types of people, anime isn't enough to keep a convention afloat for a long time.

>> No.8332363

>>8332341
>Have you ever heard of good guests attending a small convention? Really?

All conventions used to be small in the 90s and early 2000s and you'd still get good guests, many Japanese to boot.

>> No.8332364

>>8332339
cgl was a trial board for a long time, and if cgl was a slow moving board with no interest, it would have been removed.

there are plenty of threads that aren't necessarily directly 100% related to cosplay or lolita, but the way the board has evolved allowed it to be seen as an "active enough board" to stick around. Without the evolution you wouldn't have a place to even be discussing it.

Small cons rise and fall constantly, they have a maybe 1-2 year run and then they die. And I'm sorry but if comic book nerds to cartoon nerds fuel the businesses around the area and allow me to get access to the things I really want (anime shit) then why the fuck not. I don't have to participate in their shit but I sure am happy there is even a place to make it happen

>> No.8332370

>>8332363
Oh yes because I so don't remember seeing people dress up as batman or ninja turtles when I hit my first anime con in 2003 or anything.

>> No.8332374

>>8332274
> It only caters for people who want to be a part of the scene instead of the actual subject material.
This.

>>8332339
And all of this. Conventions aren't supposed to be a senseless gatherings for the scene folk, they're supposed to be centering around a certain set subject matter where anyone interested in this certain thing can come in because they like and enjoy the certain subject matter and expect the convention to present it. Frequent con goers just assume that they're the number #1 target of the convention and thus all the conventions should follow their ever changing interests instead of them looking for new, more relevant places to go to themselves. Or maybe even make a convention of their own.

>> No.8332405

>>8332364

I still don't think you understand what a convention is.

There's no requirement for an anime convention to do anything more than break even. I find it amusing that there have been plenty of anime conventions running just fine up until the recent explosion of popularity in geek-chic and yet somehow you think they will die if they don't cater to the mainstream shiteaters.

What do you think will happen when geek-chic fashion stops being cool? Are all anime cons going to disappear despite the fact that many of them were dedicated anime cons for years before?

>There's a strong correlation between 4channers and pedophiles, we need to allow CP on all boards in order to cater for these people.

Yeah, nearly everyone on /cgl/ is an anime fan, so let's just have anime and manga discussion here instead of /a/. In fact, why not merge the boards?

>> No.8332422

>>8332285
It was so terrible. I went to get Eric Vale's autograph plus I thought it would be nice to visit the museum.

>> No.8332538

>>8332226
This gets me thinking. How come there are so few small comic related conventions and so many upstart anime cons? It seems like Western conventions only really exist on the super high business only method and upstart cons are not a thing.

Why is it easier to start an anime con then it is a comic convention despite the fact anime is more niche

>> No.8332560

>>8332538

You pretty much answered your own question in a sense. Comic books are big business, so nobody is interested unless there's a chance to roll in some big dough, which at comic conventions - there is. What then happens is that the money goes on getting big guests and making a huge event of the whole thing.

Then you have the fact that comic books are pretty common in western culture and it's not that unusual to like them, so nobody is really reaching out to find other comic book fans or to connect with the community. The fans will just go to the big expos and conventions whenever they roll around.

Anime being more niche is still based heavily on the community. Big western organizers won't get involved most of the time because they can't make big bucks out of it and they often don't understand it well enough. The language barrier makes it harder to negotiate guests and piracy and social stigma of hentai/lolicon puts it in a questionably legal position, which no event organizer wants. It's too much potential danger that isn't worth the payout.

Meanwhile most anime fans will set their standards low if it means another opportunity to cosplay and meet like-minded fans, so there aren't the same pressures to make something of great quality. Universities, hotels...anywhere will do for most people.

>> No.8332595

>>8326330
I've gone from superhero comics to manga to trying comics again and pretty much sticking with manga and the occasional euro comic. I think a lot of people get into capes because there's more of a chance to be open and interact with other people about them.

For example, with Avengers or Batman there's tons of people who might not read the comics but watch the movies or television shows, so it's not difficult to meet someone who has at least one of those interests and make conversation or dress up with them. With anime/manga there's a constant risk of being judged negatively if you're open about your hobby (depending on where you live) or you're stuck discussing series with people on the internet.

>> No.8332618

Bubble burst will happen. Just don't know when.

>> No.8332791
File: 482 KB, 1280x720, witchcraftworks_ayaka_03.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8323728
Both Chaika and WCW play their sister stuff as complete side-note jokes and are pretty self aware, you should give them another try because that's not the focus of either at all.

Mahouka is total shit for a wide array of reasons though, fuck that one.

>> No.8332898

>>8332560
sad thing is comic books AREN'T a big business. the movies/live action bring enough attention to keep the big 2 afloat but the actual sales numbers for floppies is in no way huge.

plus the # of people who watch Arrow or Avengers 2 doesn't translate to actual comic book sales (merch is ok) as much as one might think

>> No.8333086

Then conventions need to choose their target audience and encourage more anime fans to come. For example don't let any of the program be about Western media, only anime/manga related. This means no brony/Homestuck/Superwholock etc. themes. The guest should be from Japan, preferably something like a director or well known key animator which attracts real animation hobbyists. There's a bunch of Western sakuga fans on social media like Twitter, try to get them to educate the visitors in panels and such. Remove all the childish bullshit like ask a character panels(this has already been done in some cons, great improvement), if the entire programming is like this it might turn off the anime fans who usually don't go to conventions because they see as something for teens and tumblr.

Obviously this won't take away those who come to just hang out but it's an improvement. If the convention has "anime" in its name or theme, it has no reason to offer anything at all for Western comic etc. fans.

>> No.8333106

>>8322708
This started happening 10 years ago when white girls into naruto

>> No.8333525
File: 828 KB, 837x607, they heard your opinion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8331961

You're forcing quite a bit in your statements. Just because I have other nerd interests past anime, does not mean that I want my subject matter of it weakened at an anime convention. All this non-otaku stuff that I see, I want it replace with even more otaku stuff. That's why I came here, that's what I want.

By your logic, everyone who goes to an anime convention is perfectly in the right state of mind to just wear their favorite sports team jersey and we can have an "anime with sports" con. Because, hey, lot's of nerds also like sports right?

Please, do not support diluting, although it may be hard for some to see it, it really leads to terribly watered down cons as time goes on.

>> No.8333539

>>8333086
>tfw your country's cons are too small to get good japanese guests

>> No.8333697

You guys did it to yourselves

>> No.8333772

>>8333697
Nah, it's your fault.

>> No.8334217

>>8322708
I think the cosplay that won best cosplay at a local Anime con last year was Sherlock. Fucking Sherlock.

So even the judges are in on it.

>> No.8334291

>>8322708
Is this bait?

On the slim chance that it's not, now you know how every con that ISN'T supposed to be about anime feels. Karma's a bitch.

>> No.8334549

late coming in but;
We had our local anime con last year make the theme Dr. Who. Not that I have anything against the series, but there was hardly any anime merch and hardly any anime themes. If your going to host a ANIME convention make it about anime.

Then again Sodak sucks butt anyways.

>> No.8334556

>>8334291
>"Let's ruin each other's conventions so no one has fun."

>> No.8334883

>>8334549
Sodak is the only con around so I have to go to it or nothing. But it's nothing more than a money machine. the same special guest year after year and they aren't even good. If this was their first or second year I could see it. But no. They suck.

//Rantover

>> No.8334893

>>8322708
>Is anyone else bothered by the fact that more and more people are going to "anime" cons yet the focus on anime is becoming less and less prevalent?

Anyone who's involved enough in anime culture doesn't need to go to a convention. They're involved in the appropriate social media online to be in the-know and don't need to rely on guest speakers or panels at conventions to inform them about shit.

Sorry you're one of the helpless "otaku" who feels alienated because other people are bringing their interests to the conventions, but people who are actually involved with anime don't wait around for annual conventions to nerd out.
>I bet you've been involved in the convention scene for less than four years

>> No.8334955

How does everyone feel about the number of added j-fash/Lolita panels/events at conventions though?

Just curious as someone who enjoys reading manga but not attending anime panels/etc and goes for the Lolita events.

>> No.8335079
File: 52 KB, 400x648, takayanoriko8vh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8325351
Born in '95 youngfuck here.

If I saw someone cosplaying as pic related, assuming it was good and they were cute, there'd be many awkward photo requests,
much broing out, and much trying to get a good look at her ass

>> No.8335106

>>8334955
I hardly see good J-Fashion ones in my state. The same girls have been doing the Lolita panels for a few years now. I don't mind it, as long as it is concerning well, J-Fashion.

>> No.8335121

>>8327487
I'm sorry but I agree. Cons I go to in my area, the kpop community is getting a bit scary (Like..Hallyu brainwashing..) but I haven't seen Good Jpop or Jrock panels.

>> No.8335131

>>8335079
95 isn't exactly young anymore

>> No.8335132
File: 115 KB, 246x238, chillngrilln.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Maybe it has something to do with comic conventions getting more mainstream positive press the past few years? I've seen front-page stories about cons and cosplaying on Yahoo a few times now, for example. As for hipsters who attend "ironically" or whatever, they'll get bored and move onto the next big thing. So I'm not too bothered. For every 1 hipster at a con, I see 100 anime and manga fans.

>> No.8335252

>>8328328
Yes, but it was from sometime 2012 and I don't remember which con it was because I didn't get pics of it.

If they haven't fixed their shit and I go back this year I will gladly take pics and post 'em.

>>8329000
I was going to list just general things I'm tired of seeing but >>8332066 listed a good amount of them, particularly superwholock, superhero shit, mlp, and steampunk. If I had a dime for the amount of superhero "cosplays" I've seen that were actually just cheap halloween costumes, I could probably buy myself a nice vacation.

I'll just add on:
>booths that sell overpriced party crap for convention parties/raves
>goffik Hot Topic-like booths
>AA booths that sell goods that look like they came from Pinterest and have nothing to do with anime
>AA booths that have goods that are clearly catering to sjws or "edgy" feminist goods, anime or non-anime
>people renting booths to sell their used superhero comics at an anime con when eBay and comic book resellers exist

That should cover most of it.

>> No.8335945

>>8323730
Anime cosplays don't bother me at comic cons, because most have a manga. When they're one shots or based off a game is when it bothers me

>> No.8335956

>>8335131
Haha, not young.
>Get a load of this millennial.

>> No.8337516

>>8326240
Why, Japan of course.

>> No.8337962

>>8332119

Homestuck, SU and a bunch of the other new western cartoons have a lot of anime influence in them, too

BBC shit can fuck off

>> No.8338391
File: 178 KB, 500x900, 1392597738811.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8322708
I've been complaining about this shit for the past two years but none of you stupid fucks listen. Now look at where we are?
I have long since given up. Grab a beer and get drunk, I don't give a fuck anymore. Weed sounds good as well. Fanime here I come!

>> No.8338533

>>8333539
Is it smaller than Finland? Because Finland has had plenty of them, the size of the country has nothing to do with that. Only the motivation of the organizers. See America which constantly has the shitty same old cosplay guests like J-Nig or Yaya Han.

>> No.8339137

>>8334217
To pick at straws, there IS a Sherlock manga based on the BBC show.

>> No.8342645
File: 19 KB, 389x257, 1430695863332.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8335956
I was born in 1992.

>> No.8342713

>>8342645

>> No.8342715

>>8322708
>"Fucking hipsters"
>"Remember when cons were about just anime"
>continued buttmad
>ITT buttmad

>> No.8343014

>>8327778
Technically there is a Kpop convention (KCON) run by Mnet America that does a live taping of M! Countdown so they get some pretty big acts, but have fun paying $200+ for a bunch of tents outside. There's not much for programming outside of the concerts.

>> No.8343019

>>8342713

>> No.8343076

How do you guys feel about videogame character cosplays at anime conventions? I don't think it's as bad as something like Superwholock cosplay or whatever, but I'm curious as to what you guys think.

>> No.8343078

>>8342645
>1992
>old
Anon I am 2 years younger than you and I know you're delusional 22/23 is not old.

>> No.8343100

My opinion on this is sort of complicated, because I'm mostly okay with some western stuff being at cons. Like, video games? Chill with me. Cartoons? Sure, especially as more of them gather up anime influences. Homestuck? Sure, super anime-influenced (also I used to be one, so I'm biased). Comic books are very ehhhhh, since they do have their own cons, but I'll deal.

I draw the fuckin line at western live-action shit though. You are a slightly nerdy normal TV show. You do not belong at an anime convention, you belong at a comic convention, if even that. I get really pissy over supernatural and sherlock and their ilk, especially when they get programming.

>> No.8343107

>>8343076
Depends on the game. I have no issue with Silent Hill or Resident Evil or FF or ACNL cosplayers seeing as they're from Japanese games.

>> No.8343477

>>8322708
Fuck off you stupid weaboo

>> No.8344164

>>8327227
>poor character developtment and nonsense stories.

And that's different from current anime how? Don't get me wrong, I had my brief weeb phase and I still do like some anime but I'm not blind to the fact that a vast majority of it is poor storytelling aimed at retards.

>> No.8344384

>/cgl/ figures out what happens when your hobby gets labelled "cool" and becomes overly welcoming to any and every attention seeking retard
/v/ is laughing in the distance somewhere, while /tg/ is happy it hasn't happened to them yet

>> No.8344390

>>8327227

I think it's the other way around. If you watch a series from say, 2006 of the same genre back to back with one from 2010, the 2010 one is painful to watch in comparison. The 2006 ones will utilize cliches, the 2010 ones will be entirely cliches.

Compare something like Galaxy Angel to any comedy that comes out today and it's a sad experience.

>> No.8345565

>>8342713
Greetings Brother, Last of the Eighties.

>> No.8345640
File: 170 KB, 1280x960, Why reserve for only 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hate to break it to you guys, but Supernatural has an anime, so one could argue that it technically belongs at an anime con

My opinion is cosplay what you want, but if you are coming to a con, you damn well better be there because what it is specifically about.

>> No.8345645

It's not just an issue that's consigned to anime cons, it's just modern con culture in general. I'd say maybe 80% of attendees just now are normies or stupid, fake fangirls who sit screaming about how they love The Avengers because they seen one of the movies. In a way, you can blame a lot of the producers of the movies and the comics themselves, because they've really watered it down to widen their market. Of course, there's nothing wrong with trying to rope in new fans to your series, but the problem is that the kind of people gravitating to it nowadays are the ones who don't really give a shit and just follow it because it's a pop-culture thing rather than being genuinely interested in it.

>> No.8345725

I'm a long-time con vet, about 15 years, though I know people with more under their belt. The con scene is an entirely different place now, and this is almost entirely due to social media.

There were storm troopers and non-anime cosplay, including comic books and western media at anime conventions in the early 00's. However, back then, the community was more closely knit. If you were at a con, you were most likely a fan of anime or Japanese pop culture in some facet. Most everyone was at least somewhat familiar with the different series and came to hang out with other like-minded nerds. Most of us were internet dweebs long before social media was even a thing. We had newsgroups, mailing lists, chat rooms and forums. Cosplayers made their own cosplay websites if they knew how (even not so great ones, like myself) or had accounts on places like cosplaylab and later cosplay.com when that became a thing. And because of that, we remained a closely knit group. You knew people, even the little guys thousands of miles away because everyone chatted together openly and freely. Resources were hard to come by and we were just figuring this shit out. Everyone was a shitty cosplayer, including Yaya. Her very old stuff would be considered "cringe" by today's /cgl/ standards. But that was the norm.

Social media changed all of that. Cosplay used to be a term used by people who cosplayed strictly from Japanese media. Comics and other media was known as costuming. The term has come full circle and it's used by everyone who wears costumes.

Fewer and fewer good series have been released that are interesting. Maybe that's just me being older, I don't know, but I haven't watched much.

Cons exploded. Large conventions were considered like 5-10k. My first Otakon had about 5k people in attendance and I thought that was HUGE.

It's so commonplace, my last two bosses want to cosplay and go to comic cons.

>> No.8345732

>>8345725
con't.

That said. I don't mind so much the western media being cosplayed, especially with less interesting things out there. But I can't say I enjoy too many normal people getting involved.

The amount of normal old people coming up to me at anime cons saying "Oh is this comic con?" is a little disturbing.

>> No.8345734

I think the problem with US cons is that they are made for media and sponsors, not for anime fans.

>> No.8345770

>>8344384
/tg/ is lucky their games are too complicated for the normies to handle.

>> No.8345781

>>8344384
It killed /m/
Rip in peace autistic robuts.

>> No.8345796

>>8322859
Round about the same time SnK was getting big over here, I was really pissed at the attitudes of some of the people I spoke to.

>"Oh, I don't usually watch anime, but I love this series"
>casually suggest some other series to watch
>"No thanks, I don't watch weeby/nerdy/Japanese cartoons"

I can understand if something doesn't sound appealing, but to talk about how you "love" anime and then proceed to shit on the genre, that is just fucking dumb.

>>8345645
>you can blame a lot of the producers of the movies and the comics themselves, because they've really watered it down to widen their market

Anime is particularly fucking guilty for this. I don't really even need to mention the whole JNig/Sonico saga again, but this is an example of a company basically using someone who is a magnet for people who wouldn't normally watch that kind of thing. They gravitate towards a particular series only because they see someone they're a "fan" of whoever's dubbing it, but then don't understand what they're doing wrong when they start shitting on another series.

>> No.8345809

>>8345734
Pretty much this

>> No.8348420

Fans of other geeky things don't have as many opportunities to cosplay their favorite characters as anime fans do. There aren't a whole lot of Western Animation cons out there, for example. Therefore, I think it is only fair that people be allowed to cosplay whatever character they want at an anime con, japanese or not. Also, it would be a shame for someone who spend a lot of money or time on a non-anime costume to wear it only once a year because they couldn't wear it to cons that don't cater to their fandom. I am glad that anime cons are generally accepting of other kinds of fandoms. I started out going to anime conventions so that I could wear lolita and meet up with other lolitas. I understand how nice it is to have a place where someone who dresses differently or has an unusual interest can meet up and be accepted. Cons shouldn't take that opportunity away.

>> No.8348542
File: 113 KB, 1135x647, Supernatural_the_Animation.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8332119
supernatural had a 22 episode anime tho