[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 149 KB, 640x640, oh jesus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8898732 No.8898732 [Reply] [Original]

Just wondering how you guys feel about cosplays that feature a specific "rendition" of a certain character. For example, "80s clothing Sailor Moon", or "Steampunk Evangelion."

My opinion: I don't mind them, but sometimes people put on too many "alt" layers. I can appreciate a 70s Sailormoon cosplay or a Steampunk Eva costume, but a genderbent 80s Rockband Sailormoon costume is a little too much for me.

I know Buzzfeed's Try Guys in no way represent the entire cosplay community, but their whole cosplay bit in pic related was what irked me and got me thinking about these AU cosplays in the first place.

>> No.8898741

>>8898732

They suck ass and reek of "I wanted to jumo into X fandom for attention but I don't actually want to cosplay X".

>> No.8898772
File: 376 KB, 753x606, pokejigglypuff.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like it in certain contexts. It works a lot better in groups than alone, and of course works a lot better for extremely popular subjects than it does for obscure ones.

I also like when groups take on interesting AUs/alts rather than just "_____ but STEAMPUNK!!" for the 8,000th time.

Pic related, I also dig a good joke cosplay if it's well thought out and interesting.

>> No.8898776

it can be good it can be bad. it depends on your ideas, skills, execution, and styling.

>> No.8898783

>>8898772
>Elvis Jigglypuff
15/10

>> No.8898791
File: 26 KB, 480x479, FB_IMG_1436330389841.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If they look cool on paper and/or in person.

/thread

>> No.8898794

>>8898732
They were all like "wouldn't they make an amazing punk band?!" And I'm like...no. Where do these punk Sailor Moon ideas come from? That spacey Jetsons thing and regrettably even no flutter designs fit but they aren't punk in the least.

>> No.8898799

>>8898791
+100 points for common sense

>> No.8898804

>>8898794
What's no flutter?

Also, can we get some more good AU cosplay pics? (Or terrible ones...)

>> No.8898822

I think there are some very cool concepts and if executed correctly, they look great. This, I think is the general opinion held by most people.

The problem is that people will often come with super random AU/alternative outfits because they are usually unable to make the actual outfit - because they're lazy, because they're unskilled, because they're a special snowflake, or a combination of all those and then some.
Like, literally based off my own experience of watching other people, they do all these alternative universe/outfits because they can't make the real costume and this one is easier to put together, on top of that you get extra attention and cool points if you do a decent job cause it's ~unique and different. When I was a few years younger, a lot of people I knew cosplaying Hetalia did all these alternative '___!Country' cosplays because they were far easier to make than a military uniform. Like casual cosplays with just wigs and makeup, genderbent cosplays so they could wear daisy dukes and crop tops, etc "Punk" outfits are generally easy to make cause it's just so easy to do things like get a studded belt, find a leather jacket, make a denim vest, rip some jeans/tights, buy some secondhand doc martens, etc. Personally I think the punk/girl gang sailor moon alt concepts are kinda cool, but the problem just really lies in the execution. If you're lazy about cosplaying it's gonna show no matter what kind of outfit you do.

As for the Try Guys, it's pretty obvious they just did it cause it was far easier for them to execute probably in terms of time and budget, and again, that special snowflake factor - Buzzfeed's typical audience will eat that kind of thing right up.

>>8898772
I def agree that it looks better in groups, although certain alt universe cosplays can look interesting alone. In a group I think it has more of an impact.

>> No.8898839
File: 707 KB, 640x744, all_20scouts-sample_original.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8898804
Noflutter is an artist who just crams a bunch of costumey elements onto characters like petticoats, cages, corsets, bustles, ribbons etc and people eat it up even though they're over designed messes

>> No.8898840
File: 89 KB, 800x573, 190743jk6hbjejpg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8898839
This on the other hand is an example of a thematically appropriate AU design

>> No.8898846
File: 1003 KB, 2563x1657, 70247-baca8fbb842eb9a91011fe4b84485e5d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8898840

>> No.8898876

>>8898846
>>8898840
I like it, reminds me of Atomic Betty

>> No.8898960

>>8898822
This. Most of the really shoddy closet cosplays are now excused as Alt-based cosplays. Years ago, a closet cosplay was really just a closet cosplay. Now people try to put a defensive spin on it as, "No! It's Punk-Alt-Lolita-Crap-Version-I-Made-Up-So-It's-Legit."

On the other hand, there's a fair amount of alternate outfit designs out there, but they're rare in the sea of overdesigned or Tumblrfied crap.

>> No.8898961

>>8898732
Since when any board besides /co/mblr ever takes the slight notice from buzzfeed? Kill yourself, my gal.

>> No.8899015
File: 98 KB, 242x208, 1457281932631.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8898961
Saw them in person at Anime Expo in front of my own face.

Being a California person you tend to get their videos pushed into your face often. I was thinking about what picture to use for such a topic, and this was the first thing to pop into my head.

>> No.8899057

We do need to squash the idea that any AU design will get you brownie points. I think if you go in with "this isn't the canon outfit, and I admit that this is due to budget/time/skill level/etc" then it's fine. I think it just gets over saturated because everyone is trying to top someone else's AU and everyone thinks they deserve a trophy by ironing on an Attack on Titan patch to their ripped denim jacket and have steam punk goggles.

Some trends are definitely over done-see bunny suit anything AU-but I think if people were more upfront on why they decide to do an AU instead of the original ("I wanted to show off more skin/I can't afford to make the real thing/I'm too lazy to make this/I wanted to jump on the bandwagon but con was a week away") I would mind it a lot less. Especially since sometimes you are tired of wearing the corset or whatever and decide to closet cosplay on day 3, or in the evening, or your costume got ruined or pieces are missing and you know, shit happens and I don't want to condemn people for that. But the air of arrogance and special snowflake that comes with AU cosplays is really what bugs me more than the cosplay itself.

>> No.8899061

my issue is that people are putting in stuff in the fiction that never existed. Never once has Sailor Moon been a "take no prisoners badass bitch". She is however the opposite: a caring and loving friend who cares about her friends and people around her, a Mother Hen if you will, the very thing that these punk/badass Sailor moon cosplayers are. They take a concept and warp it to such a degree that the original character is lost.

>> No.8899080
File: 18 KB, 340x340, 7cb84b8736923dc26ea3024e8d204314.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8898732
>Try Guys
>more like Tryhard Guys amirite

>> No.8899083

>>8899015
dont listen to them anon
theyre being obnoxiously harsh over something stupid

>> No.8899152

I can see it as being a fun design challenge to represent a character in a way that is uniquely them while completely changing the style of the costume. How okay I am with it depends entirely on how well it's done.

>> No.8899171

>>8898741
to be fair I don't think any of them except Eugene ever watched Sailor Moon before

>> No.8899270

>>8898772
That's pretty damn funny

>> No.8899345

I use AUs mostly as a way to expand on characters/media I've already cosplayed. Like maybe I really like this character but I already have three school uniforms and though I like the aesthetic of jrpgs/fighting games, I'm not actually that interested in playing them - Bam, JRPG-AU design. I might want to make a more challenging costume, but still want to have a design I actually feel like I can make and make look good - fancied up design of a character I've already done!

With that said, here's a few things I've zero interest in seeing:

>Slave Leia anything
It's not an advanced costume, it was stupid in canon and is even more stupid now. Just do a swimsuit design, that way you can at least have some fun in it and take some photos that doesn't reek of this shitty, old idea. Hell, even a bunny suit would at least convince me you put some effort into actually making something.

>Disney Princesses and overly contrived action AUs
"Warrior" princesses, JRPG type designs, WoW class designs... It's fucking stupid, alright? Mulan and MAYBE Kida are the only ones who'd actually be able to carry that shit, and both of them have actual canon outfits that are not only badass, but also rarely cosplayed (and in Mulans case, far more of a challenge than worbla breastplates).

>Sexy Disney Princess anything
It's kids' movies. Literally. Move the fuck on. If you have to make them sexy, at least do it in a realistic and fun way. Cheerleader Ariel? I can get behind that. Bunnysuit Ariel? Not so much.

And I mean most of them don't have the personality to carry an AU any more interesting than street- or historically correct renditions of their canon outfits. And even then people try and contrive them into shitty punk/j-fash shit.

>> No.8899362

>>8899345
This. Completely.

Just add in "Eevee Gijinkas of nearly any kind" and you've got a compete list. Seriously I love pokemon probably more than the next person and Eevee and that evolution tree/family is one of my top favs, but if I NEVER see another eevee ginjinka costume I could die happy. Seriously what's the appeal of doing something 90 people have done before?

>> No.8901281

>>8899171
Eugene had them watch the first like 2-3 episodes of various series and the guys all agreed on Sailor moon

>> No.8901343
File: 125 KB, 500x365, .gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8898846
>>8898840
Looks so ugly irl though. Most go with corsets because it's at least flattering on the figure but they're not Pokemon, the boob armor can stop.

>> No.8902976

>>8898732
IDK I kinda like it...but not as a cosplay. Like, if they started a legit nerdpunk band and dressed like this, I'd be down to watch their gig. As just a plain cosplay...eh.

>> No.8902983
File: 255 KB, 835x927, 572055_1288748993778_full.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8899345
Well so much for my cosplay plans

>> No.8907546

I just wouldn't put my money towards it personally. There's so many characters, not to mention multiple canon outfits for fav. characters, that I want to do that to put time, money and effort aside into making (let alone wearing) someone else's fanart feels like a waste of time and skill.

If I'm going to do alt. design original anything I'd rather design my own character/outfit. Don't know what I'd use it for but you never know.