[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 918 KB, 1200x800, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9102264 No.9102264 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /cgl/, I'd like to ask about what kinds of meetups your comm does. Mine is small and hardly meets up in person, but it's not really a fashionable city that I feel comfortable going alone in Lolita. Plus, I'd really like to become better friends with the girls. Some questions:

>What was your favorite meet?
(please give me lots of ideas actually, anything you can think of)
>Do you meet up more than once a month as a comm?
>How long/how many meets do you think someone should be in the comm before planning something?

I will add: summer weather here is terrible, upwards of 110°F/40°C until about September. So botanical gardens and the like are not really a thing here until winter.

>> No.9102286

Are you in my city? Because it sounds like you are.

My first meet was Summer ILD '16, so not too long ago.
I jumped in to help as soon as I arrived, the event got started smoothly, pictures first, socializing, a couple ice breakers and introductions all around, games, prizes doled out, competition, prizes, socializing, last pictures, fin.

Very hot out, but despite some melted eyelash glue all was well. The offerings were all a little too sweet for me, but the sanwiches were good. I definitely encourage water as a staple if you're serving any alcohol.

Were had our meet on a outdoor terrace on the side of a historic house/hostel. Very picturesque location. I wish I had gotten better pictures utilizing the space. Hedges are boring.

>> No.9103175

>>9102264
one of my favorite meets we did was going to a handmade craft fair, we all got some really cute accessories and stuff. But I live where there are lots of Asian people and so it's easy to find loliables. Other things we do are go to tea/cafes (again we have some "kawaii" cafes), art exhibits, etc.
I'm lucky my city is pretty culturally active. we tend to have a lot of different things we can go to.

>> No.9103182

Some members from a nearby community are coming to my city. Their city is wonderful and has great places for meet ups. Mine is lacking. I am thinking of organising a picnic so we don't have to go to somewhere less than ideal. Does anyone have any picnic stories/ideas?
What about rain-day alternatives?

>> No.9103241

>>9102286
anon I don't think we're from the same area because our ILD was quite different, just a small tea party. I hope you enjoyed your first meet! Summer ILD was one of my first official meets, too.

>> No.9103249

>>9103182
If you're doing it in a park, please make sure there are paved trails. Does your city have historical buildings with open-to-the-public gardens that you can take advantage of?

>> No.9103292

>>9102264
My comm is kind of big, so there are meets almost every weekend. Typical meets are afternoon tea at tea houses, picnics in parks and public gardens, bars/wine tastings, and themed-food places. Recently though there have been more museum/historical places tours which are nice. There was also a cheese meet that supposedly went over very well.

I would say get friendly with at least a few members before starting a meet, or even just ask around at a meet if people would be interested in whatever meet you have in mind. A lot of meets in my comm were created this way because somebody came up with an idea during another meet (hey why don't we dress all fancy and eat some fancy cheese??).

>> No.9104465
File: 35 KB, 600x313, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I need some advice

I want to host a murder mystery party meetup. I own a few of those murder mystery games and have been dying to play them. I was thinking it could be fun for a meetup. There could be players and spectators. Players wear a coord themed for their character and spectators wear a coord based on the them of the game(for example Mardi Gras). There would be decorations and themed food and such. I'm just not sure if that's something that would actually interest people.

Has anyone done something like this or have advice?

>> No.9104557

>>9104465
Don't murder mysteries involve actors?

>> No.9104562

>>9104465
I'd be so down for this, but you should probably announce characters well in advance for people to have time to prepare coords.

>>9104557
There are versions of it where attendees get parts of scripts to act out over the course of the game. My high school's theatre teacher hosted one of these for the theatre kids every year and the cast and crew were all invited to play parts.

>> No.9104590

Any comm have that issue where people that come from a different comm always complain meets aren't near them enough? Seriously, if they don't live in the comm they're welcome to come but they shouldn't whine they have to drive 2 hours. It's not our fault your comm sucks.

>> No.9104711

>>9104557
There are party games you can get that lets the attendees act out the characters.

>> No.9106025

>>9102264
I feel like there shouldn't really be a timelimit to host a meet. If you feel you know enough people to get them to attend. Go for it! However if you don't know a whole lot of people I recommend co-hosting just to get a feel for it.

>> No.9106044

Ideas for meets that are not tea parties:
>Arcade meet
>History museum
>Art gallery/museum
>Biology museum
>Sewing / DYI meet (very cool if you end making cute accesories for you or your friends)
>Scrapbooking meet (don't let any ita in)
>Baking / Cooking meet (wear a cute apron that matches your coord)
>Movie night
>Anime night
>Videogame night
>Board game night
>Pub / Bar meet (careful with the creeps though)
>Going to a concert or some music show
>Going to a play (kek)
>Playing your own instruments
>Local fair meet
>Karaoke meet
>Yard sale / Thrift store meet
>Telling horror stories meet (or just general horror, watching creepy videos would be cool too)
>Book reading session
>Roleplaying/LARP/acting (or like >>9104465 's idea)
>Painting / Drawing (again, wear an apron)
>Laser tag
>Playing croquet or biking
>Flower/fruit picking
>just google "exciting ideas to do with friends" and come up with something else

>> No.9106052

>>9106044
also, I'm pretty sure that people will disagree on this, but
>a rave

>> No.9106063

>>9106044
I think going to a bar would be ok if go in early.

adding

>billiards/pool
>psychic reading
^good for Halloween
>ice skating/roller skating
>Farmer's/Flea Market outing
>bowling
>mini golf
>Antiquing
>potluck (usually revolve this around an activity)
>card games
>table top game night
(been toying with a lolitafied version of D&D)

I think it'd be really neat to have a make over night where members can pair up and each would make/dress each other up in a style they wouldn't normally wear.

One thing I like to do is check out park district events. I usually find things like special events and classes.
>>9106052
Ehh...it's indoors, but no, it'll get to too hot. Drugs and dancing can be fun, but probably not exactly fun among strangers while in lolita.

Biking sounds like a bad idea too.

>> No.9106068

>>9102264
>What was your favorite meet?
My three close friends and I going to an afternoon tea service at an upscale restaurant. We had wine and chocolate afterwards while browsing BtB and cgl. We caught up on personal matters and then if anyone wanted to sleepover or hang out in normie clothes they did.

>Do you meet up more than once a month as a comm?
With my friends from my comm.
As much as I'd like to organize more group meets with my entire comm it's nothing but a major pain in the ass. People flip-flop, are non-committed, and then others clearly have their own cliques and don't want to attend certain peoples' meets--which is fair I guess but social politics like that just irk me. And then some people have jobs or live far away where their schedules just can't always sync.

That's why I enjoy the smaller meets with 4-8 people: everyone gets along, we all enjoy the same things, and hence we're comfortable. We don't have to worry about offending anybody.

>How long/how many meets do you think someone should be in the comm before planning something?

They can plan right away.
But I mean, they'll have a better turnout once they make themselves known and establish trust and reliability. I'd sooner attend a meet hosted by someone whom I've seen attend other peoples' meets. It's also helpful to lurk to figure out what the comm at large wants to attend.
I think for summer activities in the south people would rather do indoor activities where there's AC like tea, art galleries, or aquariums. It's usually bad form to schedule things like picnics where it's dirty, blazing hot, and the weather is sketchy up until the day of--though people with less money and iffy schedules eat meets like that up because there's less pressure.

>>9104465
This will be so much fun anon!
One of my cosplay friends hosted this and we all had a good time. Just make sure your main players are enthusiastic about their parts and can act a little bit.

>> No.9106069
File: 548 KB, 1200x675, Alinea_-_exterior.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Has anyone thought of doing a private meetup with close friends at a nice restaurant that requires a dress code where wearing lolita would be accepted?

Pic related.

>> No.9106078

>>9106052
That's a quick way to ruin your dress. All the drunk idiots would spill their alcohol over your brand and the sweaty drugged out kids would be touching your dress all night.

>> No.9106081

>>9106078
What if your comm is the one organizing it? And you can serve non alcoholic beberages.

>> No.9106090

>>9106052
I can see this working for the first 1-2 hours.

But nobody would be wearing their expensive coords, people would come in 'coords' made up of stuff they wouldn't mind getting dirty, sweaty or damaged. I'd say replicas but hell even replicas cost a nice chunk of money in comparison to typical raveshit.
I can also see people being paranoid of accessories because those can easily slip off or get damaged.
Anyone who wears a wig would be fucked.
And most makeup would probably start melting even with the most expert applications. Pictures would be disastrous.

>>9106081
>non alcoholic beberages
Sounds unfun.
Tbh part of the rave experience is getting fukt on booze/drugs and enjoying the music. If not, then it's just an awkward version of a school dance just with a more uncomfortable dress code.

>> No.9106104

>>9106090
Hey, a ball dance isn't that much of a bad idea. It fits.
Just keep it all pop and soft, classical music.

>> No.9106140

>>9106078
I wouldn't wear brand to a rave for many reasons but people are usually more respectful than you're making them out to be.