[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 52 KB, 231x315, 1471821700243.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9156588 No.9156588 [Reply] [Original]

ITT we discuss people who are obnoxiously self-righteous over how much lolitas spend. Whether it's normies or bitter Bodyline-chans.

I guess this thread can also apply to the other side of the board since cosplay can be just as expensive, so I'm sure you guys probably get shit too.

>> No.9156610
File: 184 KB, 586x577, 1463569718910.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9156588
>friend whines about Brand prices and how it's 'ridiculously expensive'
>buys $300 coach bag every six months
>"but it's Coach so it's okay"
>mfw

>> No.9156629
File: 711 KB, 500x294, image.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Dad be like "£80 on a dress, such a waste, why do you spend so much money on frivolous things"
>Dad also be like "Off to Malta/France/The Canaries for a golf week, bye"
>One of us can get our money back if we change hobbies
>One of us can reuse without paying more
>hint - it's not you mate

>> No.9156639
File: 68 KB, 200x300, tumblr_n3cjebCNlN1qz5g4uo3_250.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>girl in my lolita friend group
>always borrows one of our dresses when we to stuff in full frill together
>complains about being left out during brand release discussions because she can't afford to buy anything
>because anything that costs more than bodyline is too expensive
>turns around a buys a whole brand coordinate's worth of anime merch
>you can probably buy CTP at its current going price with the amount of nendoroids she owns
>also constantly eats out
>"wow anon how do you have money for lolita it's so expensive!"

Honestly I'm just glad her attitude is the outlier in the group. She's a good friend otherwise, it's just hard to talk brand stuff when she's around sometimes.

>> No.9156650 [DELETED] 

OP did you make this thread for me?
>my cousins
>constantly saving up to buy a new Louis Vuitton bag every year
>spend the bare minimum on everything else like clothing, decent food, personal grooming or their home
>as a result they're obese, live in minimally furnished crappy apartments and practically only wear cheap sweatsuits because they're "comfy"
>whatever floats their goat I guess?
>except they like to make fun of me for spending money on brands nobody cares about and looking ~weird~
>as if their shiny designer bags somehow negate the fact that they look like greasy fat blobs surrounded by filth
>one of them asked me to embroider some of her clothing but balked when I said it would cost money
>never found out what she wanted done but I'm 99% sure it was going to be either "princess", "sexy" or "rich bitch" on the ass of her sweatpants
White trash families are fun y'all

>> No.9156652

>have normalfag friend
>she's not into lolita but appreciates the aesthetic
>wants to ouji with me at cons
>tell her about f+f
>no way anon too expensive, I'll just make something
>last time she made a lolita dress it actually turned out okay but the lace was really bad
>offer to buy same friend an ouji set for cheap on Wunderwelt
>nOOooOOoooO it's cheaper to make stuff anon!!!

Here's hoping it's not shit. Pray for me gulls.

>> No.9156663 [DELETED] 

>>9156650
>spend bare minimum on food
>as a result they're obese
pick one

>> No.9156665

I own one brand dress. ( rest are replica and bodyline. ) and honestly I've worn it once and have been too scared to ever since because I'm so clumsy. I'm tempted to just sell it, I don't go to meets and all my friends are normies. I can't justify spending so much money on a dress I'm gonna ruin.

>> No.9156668 [DELETED] 

>>9156663
Frozen pizza in bulk is very cheap.

>> No.9156673

>>9156665
>iktf, I keep all my brand stuff in plastic coat bags to keep them safe but am still paranoid about moths or something
I just learned how to repair and treat stains on delicate and vintage stuff, so knowing how to deal with something if it does happen helps build confidence.

>> No.9156675

>>9156665
Maybe you should sell it anon, it sounds like this hobby is too expensive for you.
I don't get this attitude anyway. I mean, yeah, I love my dresses and most of them were expensive, but if I'm too scared to wear them what's the point of owning them? If they ever get dirty or damaged, so be it, this is what happens with clothing.

>> No.9156676 [DELETED] 

>>9156663
http://frac.org/initiatives/hunger-and-obesity/why-are-low-income-and-food-insecure-people-vulnerable-to-obesity/

dude. you must not have poor/low income friends.

>> No.9156682 [DELETED] 

>>9156663
Junk food from the grocery stores is generally really cheap, much cheaper than fresh produce and quality meat, and people only have to heat it so it's a lazy option too.
Many poor people in my country (the Netherlands) eat that way and are usually obese, so I have to agree with >>9156650 on this.

>> No.9156693

>>9156675

Sounds like a plan, you're right. I get just as much enjoyment ( and I'm a lot more relaxed ) in my cheap stuff anyway!

If I went to meets or posted pictures online it'd be different.

>> No.9156838 [DELETED] 

>>9156663
I love it when uneducated people make snarky comments about things everyone is aware of except them.

>> No.9156839

>>9156673
It's not good to store in plastic!

>> No.9156840 [DELETED] 

>>9156650
Honestly, when I see people like what you're describing with high fashion bags like LV, I just assume they're fake.

>> No.9156843
File: 85 KB, 473x473, 1471614973122.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9156665
The fact you own replicas and are too afraid of wearing a real lolita dress tells us you shouldn't be in this fashion in the first place.

>> No.9156929
File: 45 KB, 689x569, image_48.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9156839
It isn't!?
Are those cloth bags better?

>> No.9156973

>>9156929
anon...plastic can keep in moisture and lead to mildew...

>> No.9156983
File: 8 KB, 259x194, Dang_it_bobby__12fb99c429c8551e3e6f7125d6a8965c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9156973
Shit I'm glad you all stopped me, I'm a monster

>> No.9157198

>itt; lolitas complain about how other people spend their money

to be fair, high end normie brands retain their value much better than lolita brand items, especially bags/shoes since they're genuine leather. Vintage brand items are quite sought after, but early oldschool dresses aren't worth much at all anymore.

That being said, telling other people how to spend their money (unless it's a serious debt issue) is rude regardless of whether you buy burando or not.

>> No.9157221

>>9157198
We're only bitching about the hypocrisy. Pretty sure no one in this thread would give two shits if it weren't for these people bitching about their choicies.

>> No.9157236

>>9156843

It's not just how clumsy I am but I also live in a rough area where people have thrown cans of booze at me in the daytime and all sorts of shit.

I think I'll put my brand into storage until I move away. Will give me time to learn to take care of stuff properly. Honestly, money isn't a problem and I enjoy the fashion.

>> No.9157237

>>9156610
Western brand elitists are mind boggling to me. Like congrats for not shopping in a department store I guess.

>> No.9157249

>>9156983
Damn this is news to me

>> No.9157261

>>9156665
Don't worry anon, I feel same. When you don't have a community and rarely able to wear lolita there isn't really much point of having brand. In the end only opportunity for me to wear lolita is for grocery shopping or something and offbrand casual is much more suitable for that than a ott brand coord.

>> No.9157277 [DELETED] 

>>9156663
she said decent food, not just food
faggot-chan

>> No.9157281

>>9156610
but that's only $50/month and leather coach bags are decent quality

>> No.9157293

>>9156610
She's still a cheapskate, $300 is low, low-end for Coach.

>> No.9157313

Reading all $40-chan's post made me emotionally exhausted. Girls like this need to just leave the comm. Fashion is a constantly evolving thing and anyone who thinks they know everything and no longer need to learn are hopeless.

>> No.9157339

>>9157313
Who is this $40-Chan?

>> No.9157347

>>9156610
>every 6 months
>coach

sounds fair

>> No.9157351
File: 455 KB, 500x500, gJdjARU.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9157339
I guess it was $30-chan, my bad

>> No.9157380

>>9156629
This. Common Luxury items that have zero resale value:
>cars
>phones
>high-end computers
>just-because holidays
>etc.

>> No.9157451

>>9156983
Cant you just get a dehumidifier?

>> No.9157480

>>9157380
?????????????????????

>> No.9157482 [DELETED] 
File: 262 KB, 716x900, capitalist-pyramid-1911-granger.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9156663
Margarine is .89 /lb
Butter is 2.59 /lb when it's on sale
Margarine is much higher in saturated fats that your body processes differently than butter.
Margarine is worse for you than butter in every way, but it's so cheap

Being poor, you make this kind of trade off with literally every single food purchase you make. I would spend hours of my time a month tracking down deals and agonizing over opitions, trying to decide which net weight was more worth the price/flavor/other bullshit.
>I could make a pizza and it would be filling, tasty and I could put healthy shit on it for around 25-30 dollars, after 2hrs cooking/prep time
>ooor just get a $6 pizza from little ceasars
>oooooor just get a $4 great value pizza that I can store forever, cook in 20 min, and eat 4 of and still be well under the $30 mark.
After slaving for +8 hours at Slave Mart, you pop whatever microwave piece of shit you bought at the dollar store in, and choke it down when it's ready because it's all you can get at your wage.
Rice and beans are staples, but that gets boring, and it never really satisfies you.

You want to talk about being poor, I was there, and I still think I had a better time of it than a lot of folks, even when I lost my job during the recession and had to go on food stamps and public aid.

My view on the 'it's too expensive' mentality is this: buckle down, get a good job, build your credit and put your nose to the grindstone until you're in a good place to afford a luxury hobby like lolita.
It took a lot of growing up and working my ass off to get here, and now I am going to enjoy my bourgeoisie lifestyle and keep moving forward.
I get the mentality, I really do. The envy hurts so bad when you see so many people doing better than you, when you have to look them in the eyes day after day and deal with them when they aren't happy that their favorite brand of (expensive shit you can't get) doesn't come in 80 varieties at your store.

>> No.9157491 [DELETED] 

>>9157482
End of message is this:
You don't know what you're talking about, I'm rather glad you don't. I wouldn't wish being dirt poor on anyone.

I really don't have any sympathy for the people you gulls talk about in your stories, but neither do I sympathize with most anons telling the story. Many of the woe-begone friends in these situations are complaining about their friend/acquaintance in one moment, and enabling this behavior in the next.

>> No.9157519 [DELETED] 

>>9157482
>butter is 2.59 /lb
the $2.59 butter is shit though...

>> No.9157543 [DELETED] 

>>9157482
Fucking this.
I hate people who were probably raised in a middle class family parroting dumb reddit crap like 'just buy some lettuce xD rice n beans are cheap and healthy xD' Yeah, try eating beans and oatmeal 7 days a week and see for yourself how many people are willing to stick around and listen to your uncontrollable, violent, smelly farts. Every time someone tells me how to live my life I get an urge to live on rice and beans for a week, track them down and fart in their fucking face while they're asleep for 6 hours straight. Rustles my jimmies like nothing else.

>The envy hurts so bad when you see so many people doing better than you
Yep. I'm only barely out of a shitty situation and I can feel myself turning into a bitter bitch because my classmates can afford trips to Switzerland, Fendi purses and going out every weekend and I can't afford to fly to see my parents once every 5 years.
I'd love to be happy and confident like my friends but I can't afford to. Every time I see a little kid having a magician or party princess at their birthday party I get salty. Every time a kid is dressed in fashionable kids' clothing and has the new it-schoolbag I get salty. Everytime I see little girls doing figure skating, ballet, horseback riding or really anything I wanted to but couldn't afford as a kid I get salty. At this point I'm saltier than the dead sea because I got picked on for wearing lame hand me downs, having shitty hair, being poor, living in a hovel.
I feel like I'll always be poor no matter how hard I try and whenever someone starts acting like a smartass and telling me if I REALLY wanted to be rich/afford to be vegan/wear lolita I would be by now, I want to sock them in the face.

/blog

>> No.9157550 [DELETED] 

>>9157543
Are you the poorfag cof anon?

>> No.9157570

I once had a girl whine at me about white privilege because I had the money to buy horror garden when she did not. Kept saying its soo hard to save up money when you're Hispanic and underpaid. She's like a spit Hispanic and the rest European.

>> No.9157573 [DELETED] 

>>9157519
4.99 butter goes on sale for about that where I live. It's pretty doshe.

>> No.9157607 [DELETED] 

>>9157543
bitch shut up

and im telling you to shut up as someone that grew up dead center in the poverty bracket and who was head of a household by legal US adult age

shut the fuck up and get your life straight you stupid cunt, you should know by now that salt makes you look more poor than you are

>> No.9157613 [DELETED] 
File: 2.00 MB, 448x339, kek.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9157543
>Every time I see a little kid having a magician or party princess at their birthday party I get salty

Damn. I swore this was me when I was a kid. Growing up in a working class immigrant family was fun.

I'm glad that the young newbies in the comm generally avoid meets because they can't afford lolita just yet. Idk if I should feel bad for the enthusiastic ones because in spite of the resources available today and going to my panels at the local con, they still managed to buy a replica or an eBay monstrosity like it's 2005.

I wish I was in the position of having a huge wardrobe clearout sale, so can give them good basic pieces and cheap brand. I guess they'll learn the hard way.

>> No.9157741

>>9156973
>>9156983
>>9157451
>>9157249
if you have to store a lot of items and mildew is a concern, another option is desiccant packs. they're just silica gel packs like you'd find in a bottle of pills. they come in a variety of sizes. they're not super cheap, but if you have brand and live in a humid environment, they could be a useful investment.

you'd have to check them or swap them out every so often, but I believe some are made so that they change colour when they're full. some can also be "recharged" by putting them in the oven on low heat to dry them out, so they're reusable.

>> No.9157872

>>9157351
>beautiful outfit
...No.
Sorry, but no.

>> No.9157887 [DELETED] 

>>9157607
I don't care, fuck off

>> No.9158093

>>9157570
I cant even comprehend this girls point of view. Please tell me theres more juicy drama she stirs up because of white privilage

>> No.9158308

this never happens to me because i don't feel the need to disclose how much i've spent.

and, well, if pressed, i could always lie.

>> No.9158320

>>9156629
i really hope this is satire

>> No.9158322

>>9158308
It's hard to lie about how much you paid for a high-profile print set that was released last week.

>> No.9158348

>>9156639
I have a similar friend. I work hard for my lolita but I admit that she's much more well-off than I am. She goes on vacations constantly and wastes money on anything labelled as Korean and then whines about wanting lolita dresses she somehow can't get. She's borrowed some of my clothes before and ruined them, so I no longer lend her things.
My wardrobe is bigger than hers and a decent mix of brand and off-brand. She has one burando dress and nothing to coord with it and thinks she's holier than thou.

>I'm thankful for our friendship but all we have in common is lolita and it's getting old.

>> No.9158377

>>9158320
do you get cashback deals on your vacay to hawaii?

>> No.9158400

>>9158377
i assumed >>9156629 is funded by her dad what was probably wrong if however iam not wrong that disgusts me

>> No.9158746

>>9158322
i'm not really talking about money among people who know about lolita, a lot of the complaints here are about people who whine about lolita clothes being too expensive or normies. i'm mostly talking about normies, in this case.

i don't know--i just dodge these questions, because talking about how much money you spend or don't have always create friction. i've been on both sides of the spectrum, and it sucks, so i just pointedly avoid the question or downplay the item's worth.

>> No.9158757

>>9157236
>money isn't a problem
>buys replicas

Ok

>> No.9158874

>>9158093
There's a black girl in my comm who refuses to come to meets because one of our mods is married to a police officer. She says she doesn't want to get shot because she's black and he's racist. No skin off our backs really because she's an ita who has no verbal vomit filter.

>> No.9158897

>>9158874
I get why a black person in America would be weary of cops, but not every single cop in the world is a trigger happy racist, jfc.

>> No.9158902

Other lolitas who get salty are the worst. You know how much it costs and you know lolita is my life. I don't have kids, go out drinking, or live in an expensive apartment or house, that's how I can afford it.

>> No.9158905

>>9158902
For reql. Why the fuck participate in the fashion if you have a problem with people buying it?

>> No.9158932

>>9158897
She's the kinda BLM supporter that makes remarks like " why do quite people do this shit. It's ratchet" I just can't even. It's annoying hearing the word ratchet is coming out of someone's mouth like that.

>> No.9158933

>>9158932
White, not quite. Damned autocorrect

>> No.9159526

I don't really understand why we need a thread for this topic - couldn't it have gone in feels? People are always going to judge others for the stupidest things, moreso when it comes to hobbies where there is no common interest. This is not exclusive to lolita/cosplay. I feel like the majority of posters complaining in this thread also post in the "normie reactions to lolita" threads about how aghast/flabbergasted they are when someone stares at them for wearing lolita out in very public spaces like a train or bus. You are not being forced to talk to these people about these things. Change the subject, say you prefer not to talk about it, tell them that you maintain a budget afford your hobby, or that you can simply afford it and it makes you happy so why not? A rational person will take the hint and let the matter drop.