[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 74 KB, 490x357, high-school-students-small-and-big[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9249581 No.9249581 [Reply] [Original]

A thread for girls into cosplay, lolita and jfashion to share tips and tricks

for those 173 cm (5'7") and taller.
you can be tall for your area but too short for this thread.

>how tall are you
>Jfashion, or cosplay? If Jfashion, which ones?
>where do you get your clothes (for both normalfag and jfashion wear)
>most helpful advice you can give to other tall girls

I've learned that being tall, other people's photos of me always end up looking like crap if they're shorter than me. awkward up the nose shots.. so on. For those of you who care to have your picture taken, what do you do about this?

>> No.9249595

>how tall are you
178cm

Lolita

For lolita, I buy brand in longer lengths, or I alter stuff myself (lengthen straps, add extra ruffles to hems, etc). For normalfag it's a lot of H&M and Uniqlo because I'm lazy.

Don't be afraid to get stuff altered, it'll look better on you if it actually fits you properly. Also underskirts should only be used as a last resort they're actually kind of terrible.

>> No.9249662

>how tall are you
5'11" or 180cm
Cosplay mostly. I like looking at lolita and Gyaru but I'd never wear it.
Amazon, because I wear a lot of mini dresses and skinny jeans.
For fashion, layering is a godsend when you're tall. If tights or thigh highs are too short for you, cut off the toes so you can pull them higher and wear them with boots. Opt for shorter sleeves or just wear wrist accessories to hide the fact that your sleeves are too short.

If you have proportionally large feet, Pleaser and its offshoots (Demonia, Funtasma, Bordello, Pin Up Coutre, Fabulicious) go up to sz13 US. Likewise, while Asian brands might usually be a lot smaller than US, searching "plus size" for shoes on Asian sites like Aliexpress will often net results with larger sizes.

For cosplay, don't let your height limit your choices. Most anime characters tend to be short, and tall characters often are designed and written to be the sexy, super confident types which not everyone wants to cosplay. If you really like a character who is canonically short, don't be afraid to cosplay them anyway. Also when ordering wigs, keep in mind, your longer torso might mean a wig that's beyond butt length on a model/mannequin might be just barely waist length on you, so measure before you order.

>For those of you who care to have your picture taken, what do you do about this?
I don't really do shoots, but I'd suggest making use of your environment. Pose sitting down, lounging, or leaning against something, or make up for the height difference using stairs.

>> No.9249726

>>9249595
>underskirts should only be used as a last resort they're actually kind of terrible.

agreed, they look like shit with anything with a built in petticoat

>> No.9249753

>>9249581
>tfw 5'6.5" but built like a man so blouses are both too short and not wide enough for my shoulders

>> No.9249762

>how tall are you
174cm
lolita
Department stores for normies, and Oversea Stores for JFashion, such as Taobao and Second Hand places like LaceMarket.
Use legwear. Black is a very nice choice for tall girls, as it masks the knee and make you look elegant instead of a giant in toddlers costume.

>> No.9249764

>how tall are you
5'10
Both casually. Jfashion Ive worn Lolita/Fairy Kei but have started getting into Menhera.
Normal shit I go to H&M and large outlet stores of more upmarket shops as they will more likely carry my sizes. Jfashion it was mainly Bodyline but after seeing some Meta and Innocent World dresses Im going to try and purchase a dress and buy an underskirt to see how I feel. for Fairy Kei it was pretty easy finding shit around in normie stores and thrifting. Menhera is going to be tricky though.
Alter clothes if you can. Invest in tights, as many as you can and when you find a big enough pair of shoes to use with multiple coords/cosplays, buy two pairs. Skirts are an ass so invest in shortshorts to hide underneath. Primark are finally selling cute shoes that are ACTUALLY SIZE 8+. Also if you "think" you'll fit that dress, you wont.

.>>9249581
this poor girl in the picture I want to give a hug though, wtf Japan. Its funny but eh.

>> No.9249820
File: 36 KB, 500x375, c59ef4c4e772650d331690d99204b904.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how tall are you
178cm

Lolita and getting into Larme.

lolita: Brand, taobao and custom blouses. Legwear is tall length tights from sockdreams or other western companies.
Larme: Valleygirl, ally, forever21, H&M, topshop, ebay, secondhand stores. J-fashion larme brands for tops, shoes, accessories. Handmade items or customized
For larme, I tend to search via general terms then set items (i.e silk camisol, high waist skirt, off-shoulder top) rather than set item names like with lolita.

Normalfag: Western stores, ebay, second-hand shops- Lots of skinny jeans and maxi dresses

-Accept that there are just some fashions you will struggle to wear and look good whilst doing so.
-Get to know your shape well- Don't be afraid of shapewear, just get it fitted properly-same goes for your bra
-Customize, alterations and custom made options are good but be careful of how they affect your wallet.
-Learn to sew if you can and consider making your own base pieces.
-I'm gonna get crap for saying this but It's hard to be dainty and girly if your already tall and used to crashing into things like a baby giraffe. Take the time to work on your posture, photo posing, keeping in shape and skin care.

>> No.9249822

Where does everyone get their legwear?
I want to wear thigh highs but it feels impossible for me at 6'

any one know of places that sell cute patterned tights for taller girls?

>> No.9249866

>how tall are you
5'9"
Lolita and larme kei
For lolita I mainly buy classic brands since the cuts are longer and have more flattering waists.
For larme I get ank rouge, monlily, lizlisa, taobao stuff and a lot of offbrand.
Normie clothes are mainly thrifted.
- high waists are the enemy
- if it can't be altered or worn with an underskirt, don't get it
- always check blouse sleeve lengths and shoulder widths

>> No.9250100 [DELETED] 
File: 41 KB, 333x250, chocomnt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone have any advice on how short AP's Melty Chocolate might be on a tall girl?
(About 37cm + 5cm lace)
It's just so pretty...

Oh, and can I add a question for the tall girls? How short dare you go when it comes to skirts?
I think for me it's 46cm from the waist.

>>9249581
>how tall are you
177cm
mostly casual mori but I double in other jfash, nothing too extravagant because I'm shy
Artka, great for when you're taller
eh...stand up straight? a lot of tall people, including myself, have the tendancy to slouch and it makes us look sloppy.

>> No.9250102
File: 41 KB, 333x250, chocomnt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone have any advice on how short AP's Melty Chocolate might be on a tall girl?
(About 37cm + 5cm lace)
It's just so pretty...

Oh, and can I add a question for the tall girls? How short dare you go when it comes to skirts?

>>9249581
>how tall are you
177cm
mostly casual mori but I dabble in other jfash, nothing too extravagant because I'm shy
Artka, great for when you're taller
eh...stand up straight? a lot of tall people, including myself, have the tendancy to slouch and it makes us look sloppy.

>> No.9250106

What about blouses? Brand fits me fine on the bust and waist area, but the sleeves are always so short that the wristcuffs hit my middle lower arm and can't close.

>> No.9250760
File: 81 KB, 800x600, Azumanga.Daioh.full.53835[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how tall are you
6 feet
Both, I wear Pop-kei
normie clothes: Gap and landsends tall section (online only of course)
jfashion clothes: online, buy stuff that fits certain tall requirements and pray that it fits
Don't be afraid of your skirts being too short, biker shorts are wonderful.
Angelic pretty is your enemy and they hate tall people, if you're into sweet lolita just give up on them or permenatly alter jsk straps to make them longer
if you are flat chested, no matter how cute you are people will probably misread you as a guy if your hair is bad or if you're wearing jfashion. an easy way to avoid this is to simply get a bombshell bra.

for those of you into cosplay, taller characters are your best friend. If you are very tall cosplaying a giant, everyone digs that. Speaking of which, I'd love it if we could post some taller female characters, since they're harder to find. even literal giants would be fine.

>> No.9251195

>>9250760
> AP
Yu don't have to give up AP, just gotta be careful with cuts. OPs with shirred shoulders or JSKs with adjustable straps have always worked fine for me and I'm 5'11.

>> No.9251214

>>9249822
Sock dream are ass highs on me at 180cm tall. Though their xtra long thigh high sit shorter than their regular, striped ones.

>> No.9251387
File: 13 KB, 280x373, aaeadecc3b7cec3f622ebeca30e41f74[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9251195
I've personally given up on AP since they've been releasing a ton of high cut dresses, this shit hits me mid boob. I tried their adjustable strap stuff and its still too short for me

>> No.9252250

>>9251214
>ass highs
how? I have issues with having them go high up enough on my things, but I do have very thick thighs so that's probably the issue. do you have twiggy legs?

>> No.9252941

Any of you guys know any good places that sell oversized sweaters and cardigans that are a bit longer? Like 75+cm?

>> No.9252963

>>9251214
>>9252250
you guys know they have like 40 different thigh highs in varying and sizes lengths right?

>> No.9253234

>>9249581
yaaaaay, a thread for people like me lol

>180cm
>I'm a lolita, slightly dabble in yumekawa
>for normal stuff I thrift/shop online. Tall pants I get from places like Torrid etc. Jfashion I have mostly brand and a few great offbrand/taobao custom made pieces
>know your measurements really well! Even if you think there are no clothes for you, you'll be surprised if you check some of the specs, even for burando!! get some cute bloomers and underskirts for those short AP/Meta skirts tho.

>> No.9253288

>>9252250
I have pretty twiggy legs yeah...
I bought these:https://www.sockdreams.com/extraordinarily-longer-striped-thigh-high.html

Which are called "extraordinarily long"
But I bought the same "extraordinarily long" socks in just plain black, but they seemed shorter than the striped one. I have no idea why, but I guess that just happened?

>> No.9254664

>>9252963
we were talking about a specific type of thigh highs, which was mentioned.
>>9253288
yeah, those on me go up to my thighs then slide down any time I'm remotely active- even with sock glue.
I'm a 6' 155 lb pear with 21.5" thighs. the only time I didn't have issues with thigh highs was when i was 130 lbs

>> No.9255510

>how tall are you
6', 182cm

Both lolita and cosplay, tried gyaru but ended up hating myself more. So not wild and sexy if you can't event fit d.i.a.

Basic stores and I they look wrong on me. Really fucking difficult to even find t-shirts long enough. I have a long back rather than legs so yeah.
For lolita I love brand but ah yes only shirred JSKs with adjustable straps will do. Usually must find the long version of a dress or invest in underskirts. Still the upper part looks silly when the dress' waist sits 10 cm above my actual waistline.
Taobao is fine too, yet the quality sometimes fails my expectations. Lifesaver blouses tho with long sleeves
For cosplay this is fine as I make my own costumes. The problem is actually choosing the characters. How many tall anime girls there is? Or western fictional characters. Not many are my favorite characters nor do I like their outfit designs. Being tall is great for crossplay though, pretty boys and all that.

Whoops were you meant to give advice uhh
Ladies! Stand strong and be confident, seriously! I'm still in the process of beginning to slowly agree to my height but girls please if you're unsecure like me, don't be.
Also underskirts.

>> No.9255577

>>9249581
173cm is 5'8", anon. 5'7" is a few millimeters over 170cm.

>> No.9255737

>how tall are you
5'10"

mostly cosplay, used to be into lolita when I was a teen but could just never shake the feeling I looked like a giant idiot in it. Trying to get back into lolita and menhera now that I'm in college and can't be arsed to care.

Gonna be honest, almost all my regular wardrobe at this point is thrift store/ vintage stuff, and random cutesy stuff off aliexpress. Jfashion, I used to love AP, even though I looked like a dolt, used aliexpress and bodyline for shoes.

Honestly, shop at thrift stores. You're gonna find a larger variety of sizes and fits. For cosplay, just kinda accept that you're gonna be taller than the characters but there isn't much you can do. But if you can, cosplay characters known as the token tall one, people are gonna love seeing that character actually tall. I was sailor jupiter at my last con, and being tall really just sold the look.

>> No.9255806
File: 6 KB, 712x231, ok.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9255577
google was wrong then

>> No.9255861

>>9249581

lauren mayberry has pretty cute coords

>> No.9256099

>>9255806
no it's not but it's written differently here. Imperial measuring system isn't as logical as the metric system.

>> No.9256116

>>9255510
>I'm still in the process of beginning to slowly agree to my height but girls please if you're unsecure like me

I think most dudes above 6' prefer chicks around there own hight its just finding said chick is bretty hard and FYI 6'+ with a hourglass shape is basically the genetic lottery

>tfw no death by snusnu

>> No.9257200

>>9255861
wrong thread?

>> No.9259545

>>9255806
No, google gave you 5.67 feet which is NOT 5 feet 7 inches. An inch is 1/12 rather than 1/10 of a foot so doesn't translate directly into base 10.
0.675 feet = 8.1 inches

I know imperial is retarded af but it's not google that's wrong, it's you.

>> No.9262090

>>9259545
>oh boy a reply to my thread, something helpful for tall girls i hope!
oh

>> No.9262105

>>9262090
Learning how to correctly convert measurements between imperial and metric is helpful for tall girls. Sorry you didn't know how until anon was being mean to you.

To stay on topic, one thing I've found that works for me with long-sleeve blouses whose sleeves are too short is to convert them into 3/4 sleeves. I do this by adding a couple pintucks or by basting down the last ruffle if the cuff has multiple tiers of them.

There's also this trick if you want to add length:
http://lotvdesigns.tumblr.com/post/39243650358

>> No.9264257

>>9262105
that shit looks ugly

>> No.9264758
File: 318 KB, 640x480, lovelycomplex.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9250760
>Speaking of which, I'd love it if we could post some taller female characters, since they're harder to find. even literal giants would be fine.
Dumping

Risa from Lovely Complex

>> No.9264760
File: 24 KB, 480x757, toyone.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9264758
Toyone from Saki

>> No.9264765
File: 70 KB, 180x300, char_lilly.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9264760
Lilly from Katawa Shoujo

>> No.9264775
File: 155 KB, 433x722, KK.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9264765
KK from Kekkai Sensen

>> No.9264778
File: 1.49 MB, 1280x720, tumblr_nuenuxw4cN1sl1rw3o1_1280.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9264775
Kirari from Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls

>> No.9264780
File: 164 KB, 606x785, 5092-1510309897.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9264778
Kirara from GJ-bu

>> No.9264783
File: 130 KB, 345x900, Yuu_Kashima.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9264780
Kashima from Nozaki-kun

>> No.9264786
File: 1.95 MB, 1366x768, Oriemo Saori & Kuroneko.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9264783
Saori from Oreimo

>> No.9264789
File: 1.22 MB, 1412x2136, Tionishia's_Secret.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9264786
Tionishia from Monster Musume

>> No.9264792
File: 60 KB, 640x360, C7dcad20b8ac389ccbea32edd7e1a72a1394495583_full.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9264789
Tama from D-frag

>> No.9264796
File: 344 KB, 792x700, Sakaki.Rio.full.1919224.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9264792
Rio from Momokuri

>> No.9264800
File: 187 KB, 315x730, Galko.(Oshiete!.Galko-chan).full.1954027.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9264796
Lastly, Galko from Oshiete Galko-chan

Those were the most popular/most memorable ones I could come up with, besides some others already mentioned. Most of these are canonically 170+ cm, or don't have a measured height but are known for being tall within their series.

>> No.9264845
File: 69 KB, 640x360, yfnXnl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One piece has a giants race
http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Giants

There's also Boa Hancock who's tall herself and her sisters are giants.

>> No.9265013

>how tall are you
5'8" or 173 cm
just cosplay
Normie stores like F21 or H&M. I get jeans from American Eagle. I get their regular length but they have tall sizes too iirc. I usually sew cosplays myself, or if the character has regular clothes i'll buy them from western stores.
3/4 sleeves are great.
Don't be afraid to get mens clothes? I dress kind of butch but really any girl needs a nice sweatshirt.
Unisex shoes like Vans come in large sizes and can have some really cute prints.
Learn to sew! It's a great skill to have, and cosplay is perfect for people who are just starting to learn. And more height = more room to add stunning details to make your cosplays stand out.

>> No.9265020

>how tall are you
5'9"
Sweet Lolita and cosplay
I dip between being extremely comfy in sweat pants and graphic tees for sewing and lounging to full coords to go get fabric. Recently changed jobs though so extreme comfy might have to make room for business casual.
Convincing yourself that OTKs will actually be over the knee is the most heart breaking lie you tell yourself when you see cute socks.

>> No.9265137
File: 69 KB, 1280x720, b95e57abb9e9b7fae82671e014f12513.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Kagari from Witch Craft Works

>> No.9265898
File: 30 KB, 388x509, b1d3fb08db64556ec0335d323fb2c0c7[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

5'8"
Villetta Nu from code geass

>> No.9266790

>how tall are you?
185cm
Cosplay or more accurate crossplay now days, I retired from Lolita a while ago
Normalfag stud is Walmart and the thrift store mostly, I regularly get covered in paint at my job so the cheaper the better? Also I just go buy men's clothes to avoid the awkward raise my arm and you can suddenly see my stomach issue.
Jfashion wise, I used to modify thrift store clothes or make it myself. I couldn't bring myself to modify brand so I tried what I could and gave up really quickly cause there is only so long I could deal with being the 'giant'
Basic sewing skills go a long way. Construction wise, if your not comfortable with wearing a piece of clothing there is probably a reason for it so you can try and adjust it (happens to me fairly regularly because people go wider rather then taller for some clothes the larger sizes are easier to fix then going the other way.'