[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 52 KB, 800x600, angelicboutique.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9454531 No.9454531 [Reply] [Original]

Has anyone had experience with or advice for lolita shopping in Japan?
I'm going there in July and definitely plan to visit and buy from brand stores, but i wonder if foreigners will especially be ogled or treated differently. Also would you recommend wearing lolita to visit brand stores?

>> No.9454538

>No photos

what have you done?

>> No.9454543

>>9454538
W-what?

>> No.9454548

>>9454531
I don't have any real solid recommendations for specific stores but from what I've heard, foreigners aren't really ogled in most lolita shops that much since lolita in japan already has a reputation for being popular with foreigners.

that being said, if you wanna wear lolita while you're out shopping, i say go for it. they're already going to treat you differently because you're a tourist on vacation anyway, so your clothes aren't gonna make much of a difference

>> No.9454630

>>9454531
hmm I would think a full outfit would make it difficult if you wanted to try things on. maybe a casual Lolita would be better. just a thought.

>> No.9454692

>>9454531
I've been in Japan for the past week and have had a great time wearing Lolita. Nobody cares, and every once in a while you'll get another tourist who's interested and may ask to take your picture.
In terms of the stores, same thing. You're treated just like any other customers, and the store girls are nice and helpful.

>> No.9454714

>>9454543
Anon they are referring to the no photos image in the picture.

>>9454538
The staff usually takes these photos which is the exception to the no photos rules. It's pretty standard for Lolita shops to say this and shops in general to prevent people from doing mini fashion shows and to prevent theft of designs. Although it's not entirely effective since they can just buy the item and have the design to steal. The shop made the sale and that's what they want.

>> No.9454717
File: 39 KB, 547x579, IMG_8008.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9454714
Drop pic.

>> No.9454731

>>9454531
>wearing lolita
>in July
Anon you're going to die it's hot af

>> No.9454737

>>9454630
That sounds pretty fair, I keep things pretty simple anyway in terms of accessories and layers.

>>9454692
>nobody cares
Really glad to hear, I was beginning to worry because a youtuber (pixielocks, for reference) said she had a slightly rough time out and about and in Harajuku with people staring and trying to take photos.
This will likely be my first time wearing lolita in public (unless I feel a suitable occasion arises beforehand), and I figured it should be a pretty pleasant place to do so.

>>9454731
Cant be worse than Australian summer

>> No.9454746

>>9454538
I stole photos once or twice in closet child when I was in Japan

>watch out we got a badass coming through

>> No.9454754

>>9454746
>stole photos

You wouldn't download a photo

>> No.9454756

>>9454754
underrated comment

>> No.9454761

Taking into account how hot it's getting in Japan recently and how narrow the aisles in stores are here I'd say wearing anything more than casual lolita would be a pain in the ass.

>> No.9454764

>>9454531
The shop girls generally get excited when you wear their brand to the stores. In the big cities no one's going to care you're a foreigner. If they do, they'll do it regardless of how you're dressed. The worst will be random people thinking lolita is cringy but that isn't exclusive to Japan. Fuck them wear it out anyway.

>> No.9454766

>>9454531
Wear it. You could get caught for a street snap in the next seasons GLB..... oh wait? Was that too soon?

>> No.9454771

I prefer shopping at lolita stores in lolita/jfashion. They are nice no matter what but I think they try harder to sell you stuff and talk to you if you're dressed up since it's more likely you'll buy. You might feel out of place going to and from where you're shopping but that's going to happen anyways if you're not Japanese.

>> No.9454841

>>9454737
>pixielocks
That girls Japan trip is a fucking mess, take nothing from it. I'm guessing why she felt so "attacked" in Harajuku is because she stood out like sore thumb and also wants to make a big deal of everything. Tourists are a problem in harajuku but being rude towards them is not the way to go. Just wear casual Lolita and don't be a sperg.

>> No.9454866

>>9454841
This. Yeah, if you are as obnoxious as Pixielocks and your fashion style is as nauseating as hers you might have trouble. But I refuse to believe there's more than one person this ignorant out there.

>> No.9454903

>>9454737
I'm Australian and went to Japan mid year, it really does get very hot and humid on some days.

>> No.9454947

>>9454771
Seconding this, I doubt you'll have too much trouble either way but I know some of the salespeople get tired of foreigners who don't plan to buy anything taking up space so wearing casual lolita might make it go more smoothly

>> No.9454966

>>9454737
Tourists will try to take your photo because the omg cosplayers wacky Japan image that's been pushed so hard. Some can even be quite rude about it.

>>9454903
Hot, humid, large crowds, walking outside a lot, few public places to sit down, little air conditioning. And the aircon is weak, like 28C.

>> No.9454997

If you walked into AP wearing an older print compared to something that came out in the last 2 years are so would AP shop girls have a worse view of you? I'm curious because I'm going japan this summer but mostly own older stuff

>> No.9455010

>>9454997
AP shop girls are rude as fuck anyway, screw what they might think.

>> No.9455022

>>9454531
I live in Tokyo. You should definitely wear their brand or at least lolita to the stores. They will be a lot nicer to you.

>>9454997
No, it doesn't matter how old your pieces are.

>> No.9455035

To piggyback off >>9454997 will you be looked down on if you're wearing a very out of date style like oldschool?

>> No.9455090

>>9455035

old school is not out of date. omg tf is wrong with you anon?

>> No.9455125

>>9455090
I wear mostly old school I wasn't dissing it. But it is out of date as in what brands are releasing isn't anywhere similar and isn't the current major trend. I'm just worried it might be looked down on if I wore a more authentic old school rather than the more popular modern interpritation of it

>> No.9455133

I wore tshirt and shorts during shopping. The (only?)girl at Innocent World mostly left me alone until check out. She saw my IW wallet then all of a sudden became super talkative and nice.

That said, I prefer to be left alone when I'm shopping, so if you'd like that, don't wear lolita.

>> No.9455613

>>9455125
Anon Japan isn't like the western community. They don't care if you're up to the current trends or not. If you wear the fashion they like you for wearing the fashion no matter how dated it is. Just don't wear replicas to shops. That's rude to the shop and the brand it's a replica of. You sound very new to the fashion and or stupid about it. I don't want to insult you but you make such bad decisions on your questions that it needs to be said how dumb you sound.

>> No.9455668

>>9455613
This. Anon is gonna have a rude awakening when they see how lolitas dress here.

>> No.9455675

>>9455010
I bet they have it the worse when it comes to rude customers, though, so I can't blame them.

>> No.9455701

>>9455675
I could understand Tokyo maybe, but other cities they act the same way.

>> No.9455713

>>9455701
Comes with the brand and it's prestige I guess. Because it's the top brand currently must be their justification to be twats.

>>9455668
Japan lolitas do the things the western communists consider ita or taboo. I see often then not lolitas wearing not petticoat in Japan or wearing black shoes with an other wise all pink cordinate. It's normal in Japan but the western community throws a fit when colors don't match.

>> No.9455898

I may end up going casual with no petticoat, not sure it's really worth the hassle of taking one and having it full up my suitcase?

>> No.9455912

>>9455898
Space bags.

>> No.9455935

I have gone into some stores in Osaka both in and out of lolita. They were quite friendly both times but definitely took the time to show off the items when I was wearing Lolita. I went in today in shorts and a sports jacket and they were just as nice once they figured I was from out of town and own some of their brand.

>> No.9455945
File: 2.06 MB, 7560x6416, Sinclair.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9455947
File: 1.12 MB, 3641x4569, ten_outta_ten.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9455956

Has anyone sold their brand to closetchild? I'm curious how it works, if it's similar to western consignment stores and they only accept certain items?

>> No.9456040

>>9455956
They take most things but depends on condition.
If it's one of the shops with a separate floor for each style, you need to separate your items for each floor. Give them your stuff and photo ID. They look through everything and print you out a list of what they'll offer. If you agree they give you cash. Warning - CC doesn't offer much, 2000-3000 for a good condition dress.

>> No.9456060

>>9455945
>complete with a cute hat
>they are in school
Alright pretty much no school ever allows hats and walking the halls is when you'd get caught if you weren't supposed to be wearing one so this
>respectfully took off her hat
would make no sense. Also, what girl takes off their hat? That's only respectful for men to do and it'd mess up a chick's hair

so if you didn't already know this was fake shit there's your confirmation

>> No.9456092

Is it easy to communicate with the shop girls? I don't speak any japanese, english would be my only option, cause I doubt they speak my native language any better.

>> No.9456098

>>9456092

Depends. At Laforet and Marui they knew enough english to get by and some of them even had a laminated sheet with translations on them - you should probably learn how to ask for price, if you can try things on, etc. though.

At Big Step their English was non existent, but they were also really helpful and willing to work around my very limited japanese. It was almost embarassing how out of their way they went to get us to communicate.

>> No.9456134

>>9456092
Not lolita but I went larme shopping and the shop assistants spoke only japanese, but seemed super impressed at my entirely basic Japanese back at them.
But I did see people get by with hand gestures and saying english words with Japanese pronunciation, the amount of times i awkwardly signed towards the changing room when I forgot the verb for 'try on' was incredible

>> No.9456143
File: 89 KB, 688x362, 100812_sweetlolita1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9454531
I'm currently living here and I shop pretty frequently at my local BTSSB shop.

They will have signs that say no photos, and no touching. From my experience the no touching is more or less for the display items. You can browse through stuff on the racks and pull it out to look at it just fine.

They dont get non Japanese people buying stuff all that often, so at first you'll probably be considered a bit of a tourist oogling at the 'weird Japanese clothes' but once they realize you know the fashion and/or actually want to purchase something they get really excited generally. Some will be a bit timid no matter what, especially if their English skills are not up to par. It really depends who they have manning the counter that day.

One thing to mention is a lot of Lolita 'stores' are not in their own little shop, but have a 'shop' in malls (which more often than not have an open floor plan with no walls). Often Lolita stores are all on the same level, so you'll find the AP right next to the Meta which is just across from Baby. Which is nice and convenient! (Harajuku's Lolita shops are laid out this way fyi, I got confused looking for specific shop fronts before realizing they were in the mall)

Feel free to wear Lolita, the clerks will often be pretty delighted, especially if you are wearing brand and happen to go to said brands shop! Lolita isnt ultra common out here (though I do see at least one every time I head into town) and in Tokyo you'll likely see more foreigners in J-Fashion than Japanese folks, but they still wear it and hell you're on vacation anyways, own it and flaunt it.

Last tip of the day: Some shops have a half off/ on sale rack!!! My local Baby and Alice and the Pirates shop does. It's usually the first thing I check and where half my wardrobe comes from. See if you can find it. I know AP shops dont tend to have one but Baby sometimes does depending on the location.

Have fun in Japan!

>> No.9456159

I'm going to Japan in a couple of months and was wondering, would it be weird if say I visited BTSSB while wearing AP? Or if I visited brand shops while wearing a taobao brand?

>> No.9456270

ITT: people asking questions like they have never been in the fashion before.

>> No.9456325
File: 190 KB, 700x700, s507-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

People say not to wear replicas to the brand stores. Understandable, but does that go for shoes as well? Brands do not make shoes that fit my giant feet and you can't exactly change your foot size. Would kinda generic Bodyline low heel with a bow and a strap be considered offensive?

>> No.9456862

>>9456159
Not at all! If they ask where you bought your dress be honest but you're wearing Lolita to a Lolita shop, their brand or not that tells the clerks that you're interested in the fashion. Just dont wear a replica dress.

>>9456325
Ahhhh this one might be a little on the greyer side of things? If you want to be ultra safe and not offend wear other shoes, otherwise the girls are probably pretty unlikely to ask. Personally I'd stick with the bodyline low heel option as its not a direct rip off of a brand design/replica.

>> No.9456876

>>9456143
Ah okay, yeah I knew that was the case for Laforet but it definitely makes things simpler. Do you have any experience in the Shinjuku stores?

Thanks a lot for your help!

>>9456270
Smite me for my crimes oh holy one.

>> No.9456886

>>9456876
Not who you're replying to but many of the lolita shops in Shinjuku are in Marui Annex which is a mall like Laforet.

>> No.9457421

Any suggestions for shopping for old school?

>> No.9457532

>>9456876
The Shinjuku stores are also located in a mall of sorts instead of having their own store fronts.

>> No.9460465

>>9457421
Closet Child

>> No.9460890

>>9456325
I'd say it depends on how original the design is. Those shoes aren't original at all, so I'd say they're fine.

>> No.9460909

>>9456325
>>9456862
Baby pretty much knocked off VM's RHS so

>> No.9464229

Is the quality of the brand's panniers good? Any reviews? I owned classical puppets pannier but its deflated and i need to stack, so i was wondering if i should just invest in a brand's pannier since im here in japan.

>> No.9464396

>>9464229
During my last trip in Tokyo I've bought a petty from AP. It was three years ago and it's still super puffy!

>> No.9464405

>>9457421
maybe maxicimam has some, if you can find the store in harajuku (I couldn't)

>> No.9464469

>>9454737
When I was wearing lolita in Japan, I didn't get all that much attention. A 9 or 10 year old Japanese girl wanted her picture taken with me. She thought it was cool I liked to cosplay according to her mom. We were in line near a big group of probably high school students and a few looked at me and I heard them say gaijin and kawaii while looking at me, but who knows, maybe they were saying I wasn't cute.
I'm short af though. I have a tall friend and she got stared at a lot no matter what she wore.

>> No.9464470

>>9455912
Or just a freezer bag

>> No.9464475

>>9464405
I was really sad I couldn't find it either.

>> No.9464476

>>9456159
> Or if I visited brand shops while wearing a taobao brand?
That is an odd thing to ask considering Taobao brands are having locations in Harajuku these days.

>> No.9464498

>>9464476
It's not really odd, people used to ask if it was okay to wear bodyline to brand shops

>> No.9466092

I had a question about BtSSB stamp cards and I was wondering if anyone might be able to answer. I have a card that I've been using since 2012. I went in to the NYC store the other day and a shop girl told me they were only good for a year starting from your first stamp then they expire even if you haven't filled it up and then gave my a new card. It doesn't say this on my card. No other employee at either US store has ever mentioned this in the 5 years I've been using it. Is she correct? Is this a new policy or something? Or has it always been and no one told me while I kept getting stamps on a useless card?

>> No.9466116

>>9456092
You could always write down some phrases or use a translation app if you're that worried. Stuff like "Please may I try this on?", "Yes", "No", and "Thank you."

>> No.9466131

This is probably stupid but i was under the assumption you're supposed to take your shoes off before you go in every dressing room in Japan but when i went to tutuanna they told me to put them back on. Is there a reason? How do you determine when not to?

>> No.9466149
File: 9 KB, 884x82, shirololiblackshoes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9455713
Just because it happens doesn't mean lolitas over there don't bitch about it, any more than the fact meets in the west are full of itas should mean Japanese girls should go, "See! Loads of girls in the West wear ratty cosplay wigs, it's accepted over there!"

Pic related, from the site of a lolita/bandgirl living in Japan in the early 00s, saying that most people agreed that black shoes with a white dress looks ugly. Just because people do it doesn't mean people don't think it's in poor taste.

http://www.lerman.biz/asagao/gothic_lolita/guide.html

>> No.9466205

>>9466092

This is probably better posted in the lolita general. The Japanese stores may have a different policy. I know I've redeemed both btssb/aatp and AP cards across two years, but honestly it may just be the shop staff knowing I'm a foreign tourist and giving some leniency. Or just can't be arsed to try and explain to the foreign tourist that the card expires after a year.

>> No.9468050

Didn't someone write a book for shopping in Tokyo? I think I saw it at under the sea

>> No.9468119
File: 38 KB, 643x425, 1484299683531.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9454766
it was, but at least it's an excuse to use this amazing reaction pic

>> No.9468353

>>9456134
Do they treat you differently at larme shops if you actually wear larme versus any other jfash, alt fashion or casual? I don't wear lolita and have just started my larme wardrobe and would like to save space in my luggage for shopping.

>> No.9468425

>>9468353
I don't think they'll be looking specifically for whether you're wearing larme, they'll be thinking about whether you're wearing their brand.

>> No.9468990

Any good guides on how to pack lolita dresses without making them into wrinkle city?

>> No.9470251

>>9468990
Think there's special clothes folders you can buy for this, eagle creek makes some.

>> No.9470254

>>9456092
Download a translation app to your phone before going.

>> No.9470259

I'm leaving for Japan on Friday and have debated taking a op and petti with me, it was 29 degrees the other day I'm Tokyo and I don't want to melt so I may have to pass.

>> No.9470270

>>9466149
They also wrote that cyberlolita was a thing and that amalolita should stop being sweet when they reach the age of 20. Who cares?

>> No.9476171

>>9468425
That sucks since I don't have any larme pieces yet.

>> No.9477191

So I'm in Japan right now and it's too fucking hot and humid, don't bother bringing a petti unless you want to look like a sweating pig. I just brought a simple op that I plan on wearing casually, shit is not worth it.

>> No.9477215

>>9477191
fuck, is it really that bad? how is it at night?

I shouldn't pack my wool bolero then huh

>> No.9477232

>>9477191
kiddo summer hasn't even started

>> No.9477797

Going to tokyo next month, it's my 1st in Japan. will it be too hot for wearing an op? Also where's the best place for buying 2nd hand clothes? ( I already knew closetchild)

>> No.9477805

>>9477191
You didn't check the weather forecast?

>> No.9478090

>>9477191
>hot and humid
>may
Fuck. I'm going in July ;;-;; wish me luck gulls

>> No.9478508

>>9478090
same, what dates specifically r u going?
I'll be there from 7/7-7/15

>> No.9478526

;__; i want to go to japan im turnin 25 next year i need to get my shit together

>> No.9478548

>>9477215
It's pleasant at night, still very warm. Today is suppose to be 27 and later this week 29. It's just thickly humid and clammy, so bring super light clothes.

>>9477232
Yeah, I can't even imagine.

>>9477805
Indeed I did, which is why I didn't bring a petti, just a simple cotton op, but knowing the weather and actually feeling it are two separate things. Bring chiffon.

Seriously though? How are Japanese people running around wearing sweaters and toques right now, wtf?

>>9478090
Omggg, enjoy boiling death. Or just stay indoors a lot.

>> No.9480834

>>9477797
When next month are you coming 'cause rainy season starts then so it'll be a bit cooler and a lot wetter.

>> No.9480878

>>9454531
Went to Japan two months ago. Wore both lolita and regular clothing to brand stores. In both cases the shopgirls were always polite and treated me like any other customer. Plenty of Japanese girls wear casual clothing while doing lolita shopping so dressing up isn't a requirement. As long as you're not acting like a dumb tourist laughing at the funny clothes, the shopgirls seem to assume you at least know the fashion.

>>9454737
> said she had a slightly rough time out and about and in Harajuku with people staring and trying to take photos.
Don't worry too much about that. Japanese people don't give a fuck about how you dress as a foreigner. You'll get the occassional tourist who wants their whole family to take a pic with you or takes an obvious sneakshot but that's about the worst it gets.

>> No.9481541
File: 552 KB, 1280x1707, 913b4fe1-befe-44d7-8c4b-e151a44ae36f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In harajuku right now.
Standing in front of McDonalds for an hour.. Total jfashion count from 10am-11am.
OTT random uguu harajuku fashion: 3
Lolita: 1
Hired Africans Americans to pedal western fashion: countless

>pic unrelated
I wanted to upload a live photo but it's too large.

>> No.9481543

>>9477232
yep, I was gonna say it feels pretty nice out the past few days

>> No.9481568

>>9481541

lol. You need to hit Harajuku on a weekend, preferably Saturday (when AP does releases and specials) for best chance to see lolitas. There's also usually a handful headed towards closet child and Bodyline on weekends. Although lately the lolitas seem to be chinese cosplayers with wigs instead of Japanese girls.

Crowd is insane on weekends though, so I can see why you wouldn't.

>> No.9481730

>>9481568
I'm here for the burando, not the crowds. Thought I'd give an update since I was waiting for a friend for an hour.

Good news is that I got an old school btssb jsk for 1000¥ lmao
What a sin.

>> No.9481781

>>9481730

Ah gotcha. Nice to hear a live update, I'm stuck in an office doing paperwork. That dress sounds like an awesome bargain.

>> No.9481831

>>9481541
>Nigerians
Ftfy. None of those men are American.

>> No.9481833

>>9454543
Almost all lolita stores, even in the US, say no photos.