[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 202 KB, 640x818, angelic-pretty-decoration-dream-alterations.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9610500 No.9610500 [Reply] [Original]

Lolita and other j-fash enthusiasts, what are your thoughts on modifying brand?

Some questions to start off:

>Have you modified your brand? What were the modifications? Were you happy with the result?
>Have you had your brand modified by a professional? Who did the alterations? What did the finished product look like?
>As a buyer, would you buy something with minor modifications (ie removing bows, moving buttons, etc)? Would you buy something with major modifications?

>> No.9610502
File: 731 KB, 2000x1332, How-to-sew-on-a-button-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

On the same subject, what are the most common fit issues you have? Have you solved them with alterations?

Pic somewhat related, turns out a lot of people don't know how to sew a button.

>> No.9610811

I modified a dress when I was a fat and then lost 40 pounds and the dress is ruined. YMMV but to me it's not worth it, you're not going to be the same size or weight forever.

>> No.9610836

I've altered a few old tiny cheap meta skirts. It was worth it, i unpicked the waistband, added a couple inches from the waist ties, regathered the skirt, and sewed it back on. I turned the waist ties into a head bow. Definitely worth it.

>> No.9610844

IMO while it's yours do whatever you want, just mention it and reflect it in the price when you're reselling altered stuff

>> No.9610848

Things I've done by myself:
>added ruffles to hems
>shortened undecorated hem
>added lace trim
>converted bows to be detachable
>removed built-in petticoats
>resewn/rearranged buttons

Things I've had done professionally:
>princess seams taken in
>side seams taken in
>elastics replaced
>invisible zipper replaced

My general rule is to only do alterations that are relatively easy to reverse, with maybe the exception of the built-in petti but I fucking hate those so I make exceptions. If I sell I'll either reverse or disclose the mod and price accordingly. In terms of buying, I don't mind minor mods as long as all the pieces are still there, and I'll buy things with major mods if they're done professionally (and I mean proper professionally not TD-tier shit) and would look better on me because of them.

>> No.9610883
File: 97 KB, 480x480, 381e1a34-f867-59a7-a70d-85be9db20ad3[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I altered an AATP skirt to be larger by using some of the matching fabric that the belt was made out of. I didnt really care for the belt so I didnt mind.

I actually ended up falling out of love with the skirt and selling it, so I kinda regretted altering it because it lowered the value. But, on the upside, when I sold the skirt I felt pretty satisfied. The waist restriction on that skirt originally was pretty small, so I'm glad I got to wear it when I did and I feel like I helped someone else who couldn't fit the original wear something that they really liked.

>> No.9610888

Unless the mod is an upgrade to the piece (better zipper, buttons, making bows detachable), don't do it. Period. You might think you're never going to sell that piece so you might as well do it, but I promise you are most likely going to sell it eventually.

In such a niche fashion, no pieces belong 100% to you.

>> No.9610902

>Have you modified your brand? What were the modifications? Were you happy with the result?
I've modified AP before, but only because the jsk was permanently stained and I bought it for cheap. I replaced all of the stained ruffles and removed ricrac trim and replaced all the red x white striped fabric with new fabric that shouldn't run and a striped ruffle. I'm really happy with the result, but I just don't wear it anymore, I'm considering selling it. No idea what to price it at though. I've posted it before on cgl in these threads.
>Have you had your brand modified by a professional? Who did the alterations? What did the finished product look like?
I tried to have a tailor mend fabric tearing at the waist ties, but it was a waste of money. I need to find a different tailor.
>As a buyer, would you buy something with minor modifications (ie removing bows, moving buttons, etc)? Would you buy something with major modifications?
Minor mods/major mods, most likely not, but it depends on the dress. If it's dream dress, definitely not. But if it's dream dress modified to fit smaller then definitely yes. If it's mods like removing bows, changing the original design, etc. I wouldn't buy it modded. I'm very much anal about items being in pristine and original condition. Only exceptions being if it's really cheap, then I could mod it too and not feel bad about it.

>>9610502
>On the same subject, what are the most common fit issues you have? Have you solved them with alterations?
Lately it's the bust and waist sizes being too big and the shirring/lacing just isn't enough or doesn't exist. But you can't complain about that with your name attached as no one sympathizes with you.

>> No.9610914

>>9610888
>in such a niche fashion, no pieces belong 100% to you
yes, they do. if someone is willing to take the risk, let them. you aren't entitled to their closet

>> No.9610945

>>9610888
In the 6 years I've been into fashion, I've sold one dress ever (out of the 70 or so I've bought), and that was an impulse buy in the first place. Probably going to get a couple of my favorite pieces taken in once I find a good enough seamstress. I'd like to look good in the things I buy, thanks.

>> No.9611005

>>9610500
Have had the waist taken in on multiple dresses professionally, and they all fit much better than before. Have also bought modified pieces, which saves me the hassle.

I did end up with a VM piece from Maiden Clothing that had had the shoulder straps taken in, so I had my tailor reverse that without issue. If I end up selling any of these then tough nuggets for me, but I've yet to sell anything that I've had modded.

>> No.9611050

I'm quite long in the torso so I've lengthened the straps on all my dresses, but I've done so in a way that's easily reversed. i'm also considering having invisible side zips installed professionally on my AP jsks just to make shit easier.

>> No.9611079
File: 105 KB, 484x645, Image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I recently bought bodyline's chocoberry jsk in beige and was planing to modify it- other than fixing the straps, any ideas?
(Not my pic, but identical)

>> No.9611083
File: 402 KB, 683x1024, Image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was thinking of modifying it to look like the original white moon jsk, but I'm not sure. (Again not my pic)
I'm willing to add lace/ribbons/bows and whatever and do some fairly small alterations. Thoughts?

>> No.9611249

I spent yesterday letting out a Meta OP that was just a little too small. So glad I did it, it's so much more comfy.

I've also removed bows and moved buttons on a couple dresses. I tend not to buy dresses that are very popular so I'm happy to meet ake modifications that will make me like them better.

>> No.9611283

Wasnt there someone that turned jsk into vest and shorts for ouji?

>> No.9611392

>>9611083
Yeah, go for it! Maybe leave the bows off though.

>> No.9612278

>>9611283
lifessweetessentials

>> No.9612318

I'm considering removing some bows from the bodice of a Meta dress to make them detachable, but they're sewn on really tightly and the fabric is chiffon. They're smack in the middle of the bodice too, so if I mess up it's going to be pretty apparent. Any tips?
>damn you Meta for your cute prints but tacky-ass details

>> No.9612323

>>9612318
get a pair of sharp, thin nosed thread snips. much less chance for error than using a quick unpick. also steam it afterwards to try and shift the fibres back into place to hide any holes left from the threads.

>> No.9612356

>>9612318

lol I just did this to my Chess Kingdom dress recently. Then took apart the bows and found their construction to be even worse than I thought. possible. The centre is squished together by a line of machine stitching, I didn't even think it was possible.

I went with a regular seam ripper. Turn on all the lights and wear your glasses if you need them. I found it easiest to "fold" back the fabric from the bow until there's some thread exposed, slide the seam ripper in and rip just that thread. Then repeat until all the thread holding the bow on is severed. You can pick the threads out of the dress and bow later on.

The steaming is a good idea, but somehow I couldn't find the holes again later, so I never went back to steam my dress. I did it when the dress was fairly new, so maybe it hadn't had time to create a large enough hole.

Any ideas what to do with the bows? I don't really want to make them into brooches because the brooch pins would just create more holes in the chiffon fabric when I pin them on.

>> No.9612361

>>9611079
>>9611083

When you cut part the Bodyline version, you're not going to get any pieces big enough to put together the White Moon version, unless you're willing to play jigsaw puzzle and start joining pieces of fabric together, then cut them apart again to the right size to make some kind of patchwork dress with multiple pointless seams all over it.

So, I'm going to assume that you mean you're going to loosely take some inspiration from the way the White Moon dress is trimmed, and replace all the funky trim on the Bodyline dress, and not so much that you actually want to turn the Bodyline version into the White Moon version. In which case that's good, the Bodyline trim is screaming "tasteless costume" from miles away while the White Moon version looks much better.

>> No.9612374
File: 6 KB, 240x240, 1485320708688.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As long as the alteration is done nicely I literally do not care if anyone alters brand. When I was a newbie I hated the idea of alterations and had the mindset that I think some others have where... brand sort of belongs to the community since you will 9/10 times resell back into it. However now I have the opinion that even if you are altering brand for a fit issue and you resell it, there is likely another girl out there with your body type that would appreciate buying it. Tall lolitas, plus size, smaller than normal. There is all a market for it second-hand.

I also dont care if you are altering just to change the design or hide damages in the dress. I just find most alterations are for fit issues

>> No.9612536

Im not a fan of altering it unless its something otherwise unsalvagable (ie: shit ww sells on lm), and making it into a workable piece

>> No.9612543

>>9610500
Is this altered for a tall person? What a cute print

>> No.9612570

>>9612323
>>9612356
Thanks for the tips!
I'm honestly not sure what I'm going to do with the bows. The main reason I want to remove them is because they're (IMO) too garish for the rest of the dress, which is more muted. I might make them into brooches anyway, for the unlikely event I end up selling the dress and the next owner wants the bows back on the bodice. I doubt I'll sell it, though.

>> No.9612690

>>9611392
>>9612361
Yeah, just taking some inspiration. Thanks for the encouragement!

>> No.9612694
File: 163 KB, 500x667, bodylinetoap.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Trulydarling converted a bodyline piece to AP's twinkle carnival

>> No.9612695
File: 100 KB, 280x373, twinklecarnival.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

(original)

>> No.9612699
File: 123 KB, 700x1050, bodylineoriginal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

(bodyline piece)

>> No.9612722

>>9612694
cool construction, but screw printing a brands design like that is in really poor taste. it's basically a more hardcore replica at that point

>> No.9612723

>>9612722
screen printing*

>> No.9612724

>>9612694
... Are you saying td made a replica? What the fuck is going on with the cheap material in that bodice

>> No.9612726 [DELETED] 
File: 288 KB, 640x491, twinkle-constellation-star-facinator-hair-piece.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Dreaming of Vega - Bttsb

>> No.9612728
File: 288 KB, 640x491, twinkle-constellation-star-facinator-hair-piece.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Twinkle Constellation fascinator, made from a handkerchief.

>> No.9612750

>>9612724
If you want the context, that was a personal project that was done before TD was really a thing so that she could learn how to screenprint. It was never sold and was a personal practice thing.

>> No.9612754

>>9610888
Is this really even a niche fashion anymore? It's so well known, there's a Super Deluxe video about it.

And anything someone buys 100% belongs to the owner. That's just stupid.

>> No.9612790

I'm not super familiar with lolita brand production, but why don't brand have generous seam allowances to facilitate tailoring? Its common practice in bridal gowns, and it seems like brands are expensive enough to justify that sort of detail. If you're paying $300+ for a dress, I think lots of people would pay an additional $40+ to make sure it fits them just right.

>> No.9612798

>>9612790
Because most people in japan aren't fucking landwhales.
Why should the company pay more money for some entitled fatty in a totally different country?

>> No.9612799

>>9612694
What are the ethics of this for personal use? I ask a poorfag old lolita who has always wanted Puppet Circus but frankly would only be afford it if I saved for several years.
If I screenprinted the design myself, for personal use, on a handmade JSK or OP, and only really wore it alone, would it be bad?

I don't really go to meets due to location, and I don't have a huge online presence. I feel like, while it's not giving money to the brand, my continued support of their newer items is, and it feels so in tune with the original spirit of the lolita that I fell in love with.

>> No.9612800

>>9612798
They put out things with full shirring, how is generous seam allowances any different than that?

>> No.9612801

>>9612754
It's still niche

>> No.9612803

>>9612799
If you aren't explicitly buying or selling replicas, I don't think it's an issue.
If the twinkle carnival replica never left TD's possession, I think less people would care.
You're not supporting the replica market, you're just modifying bodyline dress.

>> No.9612807

>>9612754
How often have you ran into another lolita while you're out?

>> No.9613080

>>9612790

Burando isn't really a "luxury" fashion to begin with. It sits in the same place as conventional fashion, the reason you pay $300 and not $70 per dress is because (a) it uses a lot more materials than a regular dress (think about how most dresses won't even fit a petticoat, and think about how many regular dresses don't have even one small tiny bow. Lolita not only fits a petticoat, but is also often covered in miles of ruffles, lace and trim. All of that takes extra money for extra raw materials);

and (b) it's a niche fashion, so you're paying overheads for some factories to run the same machines to produce 1000 dresses instead of 100000000 dresses. But that's why you're wearing lolita instead of mainstream, the designs are so different from what 100000000 other people are wearing, you can only get them in lolita, so you need to pay the extra overheads.

I wish more people would get a grip on this, nearly everyone I see complaining about how burando isn't all that great is someone who has never owned anything really nice in their life and doesn't realise that $300 won't buy you an actual luxury dress.

>> No.9613503

>>9610502
> what are the most common fit issues you have? Have you solved them with alterations?
Normally strap length. Horizontal shirring is usually more than enough. But I need some vertical adjustment. It's an easy enough alteration that doesn't permanently change the piece. I'll usually sew on some matching fabric or ribbon to adjust the length of straps so that it will sit at my waistline or otherwise, where intended. If I sell it, I just remove the alteration unless the buyer wants it.

>Pic somewhat related, turns out a lot of people don't know how to sew a button.
AP doesn't know how to sew on buttons. I've had to resew countless buttons and pearls after taking it directly out of the packaging.

>> No.9613529

>>9613080
this. $300 for a dress is indie company pricing, and brand IS indie. they are small companies that do low volume runs for a small audience. it doesn't matter that you've heard of them and they are in a niche magazine, they are by definition indie.

brands are better than fast fashion quality, but that bar is so low it's practically dug into the dirt. true luxury brands are $1k+ a dress new, and that quality is on a different planet.

>> No.9613699

>>9613503
Do you have a picture of the strap adjustments you make? I've heard people talk about doing this before but I can't really envision where the added material goes.

>> No.9613763

>>9613080
Do you even go here?

>> No.9613764

>>9613503
This is the same modification I do regularly I'm a little too tall for Lolita, but not dramatically so. Strap lengths usually fix all issues. My worst enemies are the dresses with fixed straps, so those I take to the seamstress to convert to adjustable straps.

>> No.9613772

>>9610888
Unless you bought it, it's not yours. Someone could run their Cats Tea Party through a paper shredder and while I would be disappointed the number of dresses in existence went down, I would still respect their decision to do with their property whatever they want. Pull your head out of your ass.

>> No.9613775

I've been considering altering a drop-waist IW dress I have to be high waisted, but with a side zipper I'm not really sure it's worth the hassle.

>> No.9613779

>>9613763
nayrt, but how does knowing how the fashion industry works preclude you from being a lolita

>> No.9613784
File: 395 KB, 510x1158, wJEdN.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9610888
Sure thing anon

>> No.9613789

>>9613080
I'm not sure why you replied to my comment with this. I was asking why a particular feature wasn't included in lolita dresses, not trying to argue whether or not lolita was a luxury fashion or expensive.

>> No.9613800

>>9610888
Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. You're not obliged to sell things on, as with anything you own, be it clothing or not, regardless of whether it's a niche fashion or not. You wouldn't demand that someone who owns stuff from high fashion labels to sell their stuff, so why should it be the same in lolita. Unless you're troling, you're just coming across like a conceited brat with entitlement issues follwing statements like that.

>> No.9613821

I have made many dresses smaller around the bust, waist, and straps, but I never ever cut the fabric, and ensure that any alterations I make can be undone, with the worst leaving some pinholes in the fabric. I buy damaged or stained items frequently and fix or alter them and just consider it money saved rather than lost on resale value. Honestly, the debate about altering something and losing resale value can just as easily be changed to accidentally staining or ruining something. Even the most careful lolitas can have a chance run-in with a rogue cup of tea.

>> No.9613823

>>9613789
not that anon, but wedding dresses typically cost at least 3x what a lolita dress costs and are used in a completely different context. I don't expect wedding dress style seam allowances in indie ready to wear clothing.

>> No.9613841

>>9613823
The same is true of bride's maid dresses and those are comparable to lolita dresses.

>> No.9613885

>>9612798
not everyone's fat, but boy, I'm sure not short enough for brand.

I could only fit brand dresses when I had a bmi of 19

>> No.9614160

>>9613789

You associated the feature with "dresses are expensive enough". My reply is "no, they aren't".

>> No.9614190

>>9610888

I think the counter to this is if you already tried to sell it and no one wants to pay to take it off you, or the market price of the dress is simply low.

I get that there's poorfags in this fashion, but let's face it, if I paid $300 for a dress and you're not willing to shell out $250 for ownership to cycle to you, I would really rather cut it up and get some actual use out of it, rather than give you the dress for free just because "no pieces belong 100% to you" in "such a niche fashion".

>> No.9614204
File: 2.79 MB, 300x252, 1460154660174.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9610888
Yeah lmao i buy something but it doesnt really belong to me entirely

>> No.9614209

>>9613885
In what world are you paying 10k+ dollars to throw an event where you will force 5 people to wear matching lolita dresses and take photos of them all day that you will show your grandchildren.

>Come to think of it I should have had my attendants wear AP, it would have been great
>esp my 6'5" brother

>> No.9614211

Modifying brand - An easy cheat
I'm planning this out right now, haven't cut anything yet, but thought this could be a useful short cut to pass on; cut off the bodice of a dress that isn't long enough for a western body to hit at the natural waist, then replace it with a vest / waist coat that already fits and ends at the right spot = don't have to draft a new bodice.

>> No.9614220
File: 1020 KB, 2592x1936, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9614211
I actually have the cutest dwarf story skirt in brown because someone converted a jsk into a skirt. I appreciate it because I have a long waist and would never have been able to wear that colorway appropriately. They did a great job, too. If it hadn't been in the listing and if they made a brown skirt I wouldn't have even noticed. Got a great price for it too.

>> No.9614554

>>9614204
What is modern day software. Pretty soon it'll be applicable to everything you own. Tesla already is selling a license to use their cars, not ownership.

>> No.9614579

>>9614211

Most girls buy skirts for that. It's cheaper, too. Way back when some of the Sky prints was going for $400-500 the salopettes were only hitting the $100-200 mark and the skirts were ~$100.

Generally when girls buy the jsk they want to keep as much of the original jsk design as they can. Though with burandos not even releasing skirts these days I suppose your method could come in useful.

>> No.9614583
File: 159 KB, 3340x1200, trulydarling.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Speaking of modifying brand, Truly Darling is closing down. If you want anything altered from her, she says she only has a few slots left.
>/TrulyDarlingBoutique/videos/1892938064288134/
Put Facebook.com in front of the url. This video is pretty hard to watch because she clearly doesn't want to close and gets emotional. It's kind of sad, but interesting to watch because she talks about the nature of a small lolita business that modifies brand, how the market has changed, and how hard it is to break even with a lolita store.

>> No.9614590

>>9614204
Now dresses shall be licenced rather than sold, like computer software!

>> No.9614603

>>9614590
They will be distributed evenly at first and then based upon merit earned through coordination skills.

>> No.9614645

>>9614211
Making vests/waistcoats/bustiers to wear with skirts is my jam, but I generally just buy the skirt version in the first place. If there is one.
>weeps

>>9614603
I'd be okay with this.

>> No.9614685
File: 365 KB, 1200x1600, IMG_1419 Kopie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Any advice for modifying IW jsks? And by that I don't mean turning it into a skirt. I feel like there has to be some anons out there who have dealt with making their dresses somewhat less tubular.

I finally acquired my dream dress and the boobloaf is so bad, fml. Hoping someone out there has better advice for me than "sell it off" or "turn it into a skirt".

>> No.9614713

>>9614685
Wear a cute cardigan to hide your boobloaf a bit ?

>> No.9614738

>>9614583
All of her spots are sold out now and she isn't taking anymore. I'm pretty sad I had a bunch of things I wanted altered. :(

>> No.9614745

>>9614583
>>9614738
Are there really people who still want to PAY to let this person near their brand, after the way she butchered those dresses from the review? Just take your stuff to a real tailor. Chances are that they're cheaper, too.

>> No.9614760

>>9614583
>>9614745
Her alterations sucked so bad that you could even see how shoddy they were from the photos of them she posted herself on Instagram. This really isn't that much of a loss to the community

>> No.9614769

>>9614760
Maybe not for you, but I've had half my wardrobe altered by her and I love each piece. I'm going to miss her a lot.

>> No.9614928

>>9614685
It depends what size it is, what size you need to go down to, and if the design would allow for it. You could deepen the bust darts to help, but I don't own any IW that has the "tubular problem" that everyone talks about. Do you have pictures or links?

>> No.9615315

>>9614769
I'm so sorry you got overcharged for someone to butcher your dresses.

>> No.9615389

>>9615315
You clearly lack reading comprehension, but we can't all have everything I suppose.

>> No.9615515

>>9614209
???
????

>> No.9615521

>>9615515
>Weddings are expensive as fuck, usually require many people to wear the same dress they did not pick out and therefore may not work for their body type and require more alterations, and people want to look perfect in photos that will hopefully be passed around for the rest of someone's life
>Lolita has none of this
Is that easier?

>> No.9615677

>>9614685
Can I ask you bust size? What are the measurements of that JSK?

>> No.9617022

>>9612799
if you parade your super-replica on the internet, you will motivate others to do theirs, so you would promote replica-making, which is unethical

>> No.9617042

>>9615521
you replied to the wrong person sweetie

>> No.9617179

>>9615677
>>9614928

It's the Royal Library ribbon jsk. My bust is 95cm, waist 70cm. The dress has a listed max of 98cm bust and 81cm waist. Given that's a 17cm difference and I have a 28cm difference, I think it just wasn't built to curve that well when the wearer gets too close to the max.

I was considering taking apart the dress, actually I don't see how I can deepen the bust darts without also taking apart the dress, as the skirt would need to be re-gathered, I think? Any way, would really love to hear any other ideas.

>>9614713

Currently doing this, but of course it's always better if I can fit properly into the dress.

>> No.9617188

>>9617179
You could try adding a side dart to avoid regathering the skirt. It'd also be more easily reversible in the event that you change sizes. The only issue would be lining up the stripes on the bodice.

>> No.9617195

>>9614685
Take it in to get professionally altered. IW sometimes has really weird measurements and I have to alter them or I've had something removed completely like having to tie a thick ribbon just below the nape of the neck and it never looked good so I had it removed completely as it was too much of a hassle.

>> No.9617201

>>9614745
I don't understand this, just find a good place to have them alerted? And I don't mean a dry cleaning place either.

>> No.9617299

If you've gotten your dresses professional altered, what alterations have you done and how much have they cost?

>> No.9617352

>>9617299
$15: Hemming on dress, skirt or sleeves
$20: Straps taken out
$45: Waist taken in with on either gathered or pleated JSKs
$65: Adjusted sleeves and waist of winter coat
$80: Complete removal of sleeves to change OP to JSK with waist adjustment as well

Not as cheap as it can potentially get but not outrageous either.

>> No.9617359

>>9617352
Was the hem plain or did it have lace or other embellishments on the bottom?

>> No.9617361

Anyone have tips on how to make the waist/bodice of AP's Milky Cross JSK smaller without compromising the design of the lacing on the back?

>> No.9617388

>>9617359
Plain. If I were to take up an embellished hem I'd combine it with a waist adjustment - and that's only if the dress in question was a bodice/skirt construction.

>> No.9617967

>>9617188
>>9617195

All right, I'll try to pin the sides and if it doesn't look good, I'll take it to a professional seamstress.

Thank you for the advice.