[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 3.47 MB, 3000x4000, img_78631.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9625733 No.9625733 [Reply] [Original]

Me and my bf are planning a trip to Japan (specifically Tokyo) and we need help picking out places to see. We already have some places in mind to check out (like Takeshita St, Akihabara, etc.), but suggestions would be wonderful. I'm interested in lolita fashion, magical girl anime (specifically Sailor Moon), themed cafes, Sanrio and San-x, J-pop and just cute places in general. My boyfriend likes videogames, Square Enix, shonen anime (he really likes JJBA too), card games like Yu-gi-oh!, and arcade games. We're both into Nintendo, Pokemon, traditional foods and places, and we would like to try or buy yukatas.

>Good places to eat that are not tourist traps (other than themed cafes)
>Cute themed cafes
>Good places to buy collector's items and goods
>Is Tokyo Disney worth it if you've already been to WDW and DL??
>Different areas of Tokyo and what to do in each
>Good places to see related to our hobbies
>Should we check out other cities? (Kyoto, etc)

Any suggestions are good, thank you!

>> No.9625741

>>9625733
Tokyo Disney is very similar to the others. I didn't think it was worth it. I haven't been to Disney sea but everyone says it's way better and a different experience.

>> No.9626176

>>9625733
>Good places to eat that are not tourist traps (other than themed cafes)
Pretty much anywhere local honestly! I dont really remember encountering any real "tourist traps", sure it was a little more expensive but nothing outrageous.
>Cute themed cafes
Pompompurin cafe in harajuku, there's also another themed cafe near la foret which changes (towers records cafe?) when i went it was rilakkuma. I think Q-pot cafe is currently doing a Sailor Moon collab, but I'm not sure for how long.
If you're into magical girl, definitely go to Nakano broadway, otherwise
Not sure, it was my first time visitng any Disneyland so i thought everything was amazing but I've heard Disney Sea is different from any other Disney parks.
>Different areas of Tokyo and what to do in each
Check out the cup noodle museum in Yokohama! Its pretty underrated imo, also the area is just really lovely there.
Sanrio puroland is an absolute must, Pokemon centre in Ikebukuro (and many other anime shops there), AKB48 cafe in Akiba, Kiddyland for sanrio/san-x stuff, Square Enix cafe.
>Should we check out other cities? (Kyoto, etc)
If you're willing to do the travel then definitely, Osaka and Kyoto were some of the highlights of my recent trip. The shinkansen ride is pretty nice, and I'd advise you get a 1 week JR pass if you do decide to go as it pays itself off with just 2 trips (Tokyo to Kyoto, and return), plus you can use it for regular JR lines during that time.

>> No.9626427

>>9626176
>1 week JR pass if you do decide to go as it pays itself off with just 2 trips (Tokyo to Kyoto, and return), plus you can use it for regular JR lines during that time.

I've heard good and bad about the JR pass. It's abour $270 right?

Friends who have been tell me to do the overnight bus instead. The buses are clean and cost only $40-80

>> No.9626444

>>9625733
I would not recommend the Square Enix cafe. It was very small (even by Japan standards) and more than half the decor/merch/themed food was Monster Quest, which I didn't care about at all as a Final Fantasy/KH fan.

>> No.9626452

>>9626427
getting the JR pass is good if you're going to be going outside of Tokyo on the shinkansen. When I went, we went to Osaka, Takarazuka, and Kyoto, and the JR pass was invaluable. Being able to use it on the majority of the subway lines was also incredibly helpful. If you're not planning on travelling outside of Tokyo, it might not be worth it, however.

>> No.9626471

>>9626444
agreed, It was very small and the food was really sad (went during the Nier + FFXIV collabs). The actual FFXIV cafe in Pasela ?? Resorts in Akiba is so much better. They have a nice MC and they do a lottery at the beginning too!

>> No.9626592

I'm following this since I'm thinking about going with my bf to Tokyo Japan too but in 2019 (2018 is our convention year, where we go and experience different conventions)

I'd also like to say that you should try and onsen at least once while there and check out the manga cafe

>> No.9627649
File: 193 KB, 1024x768, akihabara1-1024x768.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9626452

How long were you there? I'm only going for a week and I don't think I can pack in Osaka, Kyoto, and Tokyo in a week and see all the things.

I think it's best I stick to Osaka/Kyoto:
Hot springs, Fushimi Inari, Animate, the Sailor Moon cafe, Toraya Fabric store, Museum of Housing and living, SeraMyu, and the shopping district.

If I was staying longer or a couple weeks I'd try for Tokyo. But I think I'll come back in a couple years after the Olympics and try for Tokyo then.

>> No.9627656

>>9627649
You really only need 1 or 2 days in Kyoto to see Fushimi Inari and explore the small town. Hot springs will be found around Hakone.. not really so much in Kyoto/Osaka.

>> No.9627668
File: 278 KB, 500x304, tumblr_lpgu4kCQpy1qkusc6o1_500.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9627656

I only plan to visit Kyoto for 1 day for Fushimi, a bike tour, and maybe a dress up session in kimono.

The other 4 days (I don't count 2 of them cause 1 day spent flying in and one day spent flying out) will be spent at the Sailor Moon musical, shopping, visiting a couple museums, and maybe hitting up Takarazuka.

Osaka has hot springs, natural ones too. Kamigata Onsen is the one I'm thinking about.

Is that not enough?

>> No.9627707

>>9625733
If you've already visited a Disney park before, you should prioritize visiting Tokyo Disneysea. It's a unique park with wonderful theming. Don't bother visiting during national holidays, weekends or other times the crowd calendar indicates as busy days because the lines will be insane.

Tokyo Disneyland is worth it if you don't mind that the park is very similar to its counterparts. Skip it if you're looking for more unique experiences. Or buy an evening pass so you can do something else during the day.

>> No.9627737

>>9625733
If you want anime merch try to stop at one of Mandarake's stores. They have a few around the Tokyo area and are fucking awesome.

>> No.9627848

I'm hopefully going to Japan in December, and want to visit a hotspring or bathhouse. My only issue is that I have tattoos. I've heard they won't let you in if you have any, is this true? Can I just try to cover them and get away with it?

>> No.9627872

>>9627848
It differs from place to place but yes, most onsen and bathhouses will generally refuse you if you have tattoos. From what I heard, some will allow you to cover it with a band aid but that only works if you have a small tattoo.

There are onsen/bathhouses out there that allow people with tattoos so a quick google search should help you find some options. If necessary, you can always rent a private bath. That last one might get pricey though.

>> No.9627891

>>9626444
Did you go to Artnia? That cafe had a ton of FF merch.

The Eorzia cafe in Pasela that >>9626471 mentioned was really great too.

>> No.9627895

>>9627848
There's a product specifically made for covering tattoos to go to bath houses in Japan. You can order it online and it comes it pretty decent size sheets. Won't cover like a whole back tattoo but if you have small to medium sized ones it will work.

>> No.9627899

>>9627848
It's true just get some large bandaids and put them on right before you go so they are clean.

>> No.9627904

>>9627872
>>9627895
>>9627899
Thanks! I wasn't sure if they would not let me in if I had a bandage as well. It's fairly small so hopefully I'll be good!

>> No.9628186

>>9627668
>Gokaiger
Bless you.

>> No.9630145

Literally in Japan right now. Got here on the 6th and will be here til the 18th. Akihabara has been great. The arcades are amazing (been doing a lot of Initial D racing game) and we went to the Maidreamin cafe which was a lot of fun. Mostly staying in Tokyo, with a few side trips. We did an overnight trip and had a day in Osaka and one in Kyoto. A little rushed, but did everything we wanted. I did a Kimono rental in Kyoto that was great. Went to both Closet Child stores (2nd hand lolita). It was awesome seeing all the brand they had and I picked up an IW OP that I'm really happy with.

>> No.9630169

>>9625733
We need some more info before we can offer any sound advice desu. Things like when you plan on traveling, length of stay, budget, etc are important.

>> No.9630642

>>9630145

That sounds like you're having a good time. I'm hitting up Osaka for the Sailor Moon musical in 2 weeks so I am glad your stay in Osaka and Kyoto went well.

>> No.9631115

>>9630145
There's a lot more than 2 Closet Child stores

>> No.9631119

>>9630145
Are you fluent in Japanese? I was wondering how much would be useful to know before trying to go into clothing stores or art galleries. It seems like some areas have bilingual employees but areas further from the big cities don't.

>> No.9631134

>>9627649
This is >>9626452 We were there 9 days. Takarazuka and Kyoto were pretty much day trips.

I can tell you more about Takarazuka if you want; when I went, I saw The Scarlet Pimpernel, and did a walk-in session at their photo studio. (Unfortunately all the times were booked to get my makeup done, so I didn't get a chance to do that.)

>> No.9631224

>>9631115
where are the other ones?

>> No.9631322

>>9631134
>I can tell you more about Takarazuka if you want

Please do. I was told to go visit the town for the tea shops and general cuteness. What else is there to do there?

I also just found out the Utena animate cafe is STILL running in Ikebukuro so now I am wavering on visiting Tokyo after all.

>> No.9631337

>>9631224
NAYRT but there are 5:
Harajuku
Shinjuku
Ikebukuro
Yokohama
Osaka

>> No.9631356

>>9627848
My friend who lived in Kyoto had a large tattoo on her arm, and was allowed into most onsen there no problem. They feel differently about foreigners with tattoos, so it's likely that you will be let in.

>> No.9631359

>>9631119
You don't really need to know Japanese when buying. The amount will be on the till and you don't need to say anything to the shop assistants. The only problem will be if you want to ask for things. Assume that the shop employees can't speak english. I live in Kyoto and 90% of the time, they can't speak a word.

>> No.9631371

>>9631119
>I was wondering how much would be useful to know before trying to go into clothing stores or art galleries

You only need a handful of phrases - I'd say that the absolutely necessary ones are "how much does it cost?" and "can I try it on?". Maybe "do you have (thing)?" if you know some basic words they may answer (yes, no, there, here, etc.)

>> No.9631515

Has anyone been to Universal Studios Japan? Is it worth seeing if you've been to the one in Florida?

>> No.9631639

What's everyone's favorite drugstore to shop at in Tokyo for general things like skincare and cheap cute makeup?

>> No.9631691

>>9631639
Don Quijote tends to have the cheapest prices and carries all drugstore brands.I like Matsumoto Kiyoshi as well.

>> No.9631695

If anyone is into crafting and sewing, I recommend Okadaya in Shinjuku. The ground floor has a large selection of fabrics and the other 4 floors (which are in the adjacent building) have ribbons, lace, resin materials, yarn, books, sewing notions anything you can think of really. They also do tax return for total purchases over 5,000 yen.

>> No.9631701

>>9625733
Its not a themed cafe but I really enjoyed Pablo premium cafe in Harajuku (the website says Omotesando but its closer to Harajuku JR station). The 1st floor sells their regular items like their famous cheesecakes and other desserts. Their 2nd floor is their premium cafe that serves everything from the first floor and additional items which can all be found on their website. It was a nice place to sit down and relax with some cheesecake after shopping in Harajuku

>> No.9631954

>>9631515
I've never been to the one in Florida, but a lot of things are the same (only smaller). They have some unique things (I think the minions area is exclusive? And definitely whatever "Cool Japan" exhibit is current).
I like it, but I also live nearby. If you check out the website, all the rides and areas should be listed. Next Cool Japan has Sailor Moon and Final Fantasy, if you're into that.

>> No.9631996

Any heads up on Halloween events? Brining my friend who's never been and she wants to cosplay at some Tokyo street event.

>> No.9632016

>>9631119
The only Japanese I've used is to say thank you and excuse me. These's a lot of English speakers here, but pointing and smiling work fine. I haven't had 1 problem with the language barrier.

>> No.9632299

>>9631996
Saturday night before Halloween tons of people go out to Shibuya and dress up. Lots of group costumes like everyone dressed like Waldo or Power Rangers or slutty xyz. I was suprised how many dressed up. Shibuya crossing down to all the clubs was packed. Fun stuff, doing again this year. Also there's an Ikebukuro cosplay festival that weekend, you pay to cosplay in their events like a cosplay walk. Look it up.

>> No.9632339
File: 255 KB, 960x435, Takarazuka.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9631322
There are two things that make Takarazuka a good place to visit. The first is that it's Osamu Tezuka's hometown, and it houses the Osamu Tezuka Manga Museum.

There is also, of course, the grand stage of the Takarazuka Revue. The Takarazuka Revue is a theatre group (technically made up of a number of different rotating troupes) known for its melodramatic, romantic style, over-the-top costuming, and all-female cast. It requires a bit of extra internet legwork, but if you can get tickets to see a Zuka show, I can't recommend it highly enough. Within the Takarazuka Grand Theatre, there are a couple different cafes and gift shops, as well as a museum dedicated to the Revue's 100+ year history. If you're into theatre, costuming (I mean you're on /cgl/....), or beautiful boys that are actually beautiful girls, it's absolutely worth your time. Pic related.

When I went, I went to a super cute sandwich shop. I'll have to look back and see what the name of it was; it was very popular, and I think it might be right up your alley.

>> No.9632398

Recs for Tokyo salons willing to do jfash nail designs? Price point doesn't matter

Also recs for good Tokyo spas that have unique facials(something memorable)? Again price doesn't matter for me as long as it's not stupidly high.

I'm going next July and want to do a spa day there. I know there's a lush spa but that seems sort of basic?

>> No.9632487

>>9632398
>Unique facials, something memorable
Lol Anon, I do know of one type of facial Japan is known for

>> No.9632618

>>9632487
So does anyone who's not 12 have a suggestion?

>> No.9632766

>>9632398
beauty.hotpepper.jp and look under "art" in the nail section. if you bring a picture most places will try to accommodate. be prepared to pay $100 or more

most facials are pretty basic, stuff like laser toning is more popular

>> No.9632770

I am looking at going to Japan in the first half of next year. I'm somewhat of a closet weeb, but I'm actually more interested in:
>men's fashion
I'm aware this will be difficult for a gymrat
>food
huge for me as a restaurant owner
>hot springs/resort

I prefer cold weather to hot/humid. Not a huge merch hound. What are some must-sees? I assume my target destination is probably Hokkaido.

>> No.9632774

>>9632770
I'm a foodie as well so I can probably help. Can you provide some more general info, such as length of stay, budget, type of cuisine, type of fashion, etc? It'll help us filter our responses to fit your needs.

>> No.9632777
File: 1.12 MB, 2447x2447, IMG_1928.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

the milky way cafe in ikebukuro was probably my favorite cafe that i visited when i was in japan. their menu is themed after constellations; my aquarius sundae had cake, cookies, chocolate, and liquid nitrogen spilling out... it was amazing.

pic related. it's probably huge so i apologize in advance.

>> No.9632784

>>9632774
Only just started planning, so not a lot is set in stone. I'm looking at about 13-15 days stay. Some time in Tokyo is a given.

I live in California, I eat damn near anything - seafood and fish are definitely my first choice. While I've eaten at La Bernadin, Saison and the French Laundry, I have zero problems ducking into a cozy hole-in-the-wall for a meal. In fact, I'm not much for ceremony so some of the michelin-starred restaurants I've been to have kinda given me the creeps.

I'm only now starting the budget process but I'm estimating the amount I'm able to devote to food to about $1000, averaging out to $60-70/day. Tsukiji Fish Market will be a must. One dinner involving Kobe beef. Really just a social drinker (preferably beer) but I love yakitori - I have my own robata grill with bintochan charcoal. I would like to try a traditional breakfast at a hotsprings place.

Fashion-wise, what I really want that seems hard to find where I live is stylish light outerwear, like a thinner double-breasted jackets. I like military-ish stuff like bomber jackets or collared shirts with epaulets. Not big on big logos though I low-key like garish designs and 'dumb' shirts. I'm not as huge as I used to be, (5'11", 193 lbs @ 10% bodyfat) but I'm still abnormal by Japanese standards.

Maybe one or two nice fitted pairs of jeans. Problem is huge squatter thighs already require me to tailor virtually all non-elastic pants. Budget for clothing is not set.

Sightseeing-wise, I'm not big on pictures or architectures, but I do like a hike and taking in the scenery.

>> No.9632786

>>9632784
Sorry, typo'd. Not 193lbs, 182. Which probably doesn't change that much.

>> No.9632801

>>9632784
Based on your description, you're probably gonna wanna do 7 days in Tokyo and than 7 days traveling elsewhere with a JR Railpass. Most people will travel to Kobe, Osaka, Nara, and Kyoto with the Railpass. You could technically check out Hokkaido instead, but it might be easier and cheaper to book a local flight there instead.

In regards to food and cooking, I would recommend you check out the basement level food halls in the large department stores located in Ginza, and Kappabashi in Tokyo, Sennichimae Doguyasuji, Kuromon Market, and the Central Wholesale Market in Osaka and Nishiki Market in Kyoto.

For a basic breakdown of what to expect in terms of daily costs, I would use the following formula and multiply by the number of days you plan on visiting and adding the following additional costs to get your total:
$10/day - Local Transit
$40/day - Accommodations
$40/day - Food

Suica Card - $10-20
Prepaid Data Only Sim Card - $30-40
JR Rail Pass - $350
Miscellaneous - $200-300 (this covers stuff like museums, shrines, entertainment, utilities, laundry, etc)
Shopping - $500

If you know you have a major expense, I would keep it as a separate item instead of part of your daily costs or miscellaneous. Something like a set of kitchen knives, or checking out Universal Studios, etc.

In regards to clothing, I can't really help you desu. I wear a medium to large in North America and struggled to find adequate clothing while in Japan which turns into XL to XXL.

>> No.9632824

>>9632801
I was beginning to realize Hokkaido & Tokyo on my first visit might be a stretch. I am a relaxing vacation kind of guy, not a full itinerary one so the idea of a mountainous hotspring and some casual sightseeing appeals to me... but maybe on a subsequent trip perhaps.

Your information is plenty helpful. I wear more or less USA Large, but do have a good tailor back here, so I can buy large and have it adjusted. At the end of the day that's a lesser priority.

Funny you should mention knives even though I didn't mention them earlier. I have enough knives to last me a while, including four or five japanese knives, but if I wander into a knife shop I'm liable to walk out with a wa-gyuto and a whetstone.

>> No.9632827

>>9632784
Anon, you should go to Nihonbashi Iseju with a few people. The best sukiyaki I've ever had! Try Seryna for Shabu-Shabu, and if you book Roppongi make sure you're on a higher floor, because the view is amazing! Nakanishi Izakaya in Aoyama is really cheap, but pretty good. Their umeboshi sours are awesome and decent late night udon, perfect after a night out.
Regarding hot springs, you should look at places in Hakone, especially the Ryokan Collection, their hot springs are so beautiful and the food is incredible too!

I'll add more if i think of any unique places!

>> No.9632988

>>9632824
It's still possible with a local flight. Roundtrip ticket from Tokyo to Sapporo is about $110. So for a 14 day trip to Japan, you could do 10days Tokyo and a couple of the neighbouring areas like Hakone and Nikko, and do 3-4days up North in Hokkaido.

Regarding food, no matter what you pick it's almost certain that the food will be good. The Japanese have a weird obsession with food, coupled with OCD they make extraordinarily delicious food. I know this may sound like a gag post, but go and try McDonalds while in Japan. It'll give you a point of reference to see how different things are in comparison to North America.

>> No.9633073

>>9632988
When you mentioned using the JP Railpass to go to Kobe/Osaka/Nara/Kyoto, do you mean going to all those places in the span of 7 days? If I can actually do that, I would probably save Hokkaido for a second trip.

But if you mean I can only get to one or two of those places in that timeframe, then Hokkaido looks like a more viable option considering it has significant personal appeal. $110 is quite cheap for a round trip flight, so I am tempted.

For my food purposes, the most important meals for me will be 1a/1b) nice sushi, nice tempura and 2) kaiseki. I find myself eating less and less red meat over time, and more fish. So a meal with Kobe beef is probably second priority to those three. I can probably even skip it without too much regret.

I am considering budgeting more for at least one three-michelin experience. My initial research had me leaning towards Ishikawa but my cousin just returned from Japan and raved about Ryugin. Those two would be the top contenders if I go that route.

>tempura
7-chome kyoboshi caught my eye but that price tag... christ. Rakutei, Kondo and Hatakana, Daikokuya and Tsunahachi have all been mentioned to me. I love kakiage.

>sushi
Way too many to choose from, apparently. Ones noted to me were Sushi Aoki, Kanesaka, Sushi Zanmai. Willing to spend here.

>other
MUST HAVE ONE UNAGI MEAL. Also not much of a sweet tooth, so won't do much bakery or dessert shops. The rest of my meals I plan to go to normal places. And I do eat damn near anything - udon, ramen, yakitori, yakiniku, katsu, karaage. I'll try anything once, except maybe the raw chicken I've heard about... and yeah, one trip to McDonalds is definitely in the plans.

>>9632827
Sounds good. Definitely made a note to look into Hakone hot springs.

>> No.9633101

>>9631695
I was actually gonna ask about crafts materials. Thanks anon!

>> No.9633121

>>9633073
>When you mentioned using the JP Railpass to go to Kobe/Osaka/Nara/Kyoto, do you mean going to all those places in the span of 7 days?
You definitely could, but it would be a bit hectic desu. Personally I would pick 3 out of the four, with my 3 being Osaka, Nara and Kyoto. I would allocate 2 days for Osaka and Kyoto, and 1 day for Nara.

Keep in mind, when you activate the JR Railpass, it expires in 7 days from the day you activate it. So let's say you activate it on Friday September 1st, it'll expire on Thursday September 7th. You're gonna need to factor in the 2 days you need to travel from Tokyo and back to Tokyo. So it's about 3-4hrs of traveling from Tokyo to either Osaka or Kyoto and another 1hr or so to get to your accommodations and settle in.

It's possible to book your flight, so that you fly in to Tokyo and fly back home from Osaka, so that you don't lose a day commuting from city to city and make better use of your JR Pass. But you're gonna have to figure out if this is worthwhile to you, as flights from Osaka are less frequent and tend to be more expensive than flights from Tokyo.

In regards to high end sushi, most of the more famous high end sushi require special reservations to get into and are very difficult to acquire for foreigners. They generally range between $200-350 USD per meal. Mid tier would be in the $50-150 range. Low end would be in the $30 and below. I can make some suggestions to you based on which level of sushi you wanna try and budget.

>> No.9633133

>>9633121
Yeah I've been hearing that a lot of the top places are basically unobtainable for foreigners without a concierge assist.

For the sushi meal, I would probably cap out in the low $200 range, and tempura in the low $100 range. Kaiseki a bit below that ideally. And I could definitely go for one or two sushi meals in the mid-$50 range.

If I do end up trying one of the 3 michelin star restaurants, I would budget separately as a 'luxury expense'.

>> No.9633523

>>9633133
Based on your price bracket, I would go with the main branch of Kyubey located in Ginza. I've dined at Suykiyabashi Jiro in Roppongi (Jiro's second son restaurant) for lunch and the sushi is comparable. But Kyubey is slightly cheaper and much better value imho.
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g1066444-d803208-Reviews-Kyubey_Main_Restaurant-Chuo_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

For traditional Kaiseki, they normally range around the $100 mark. Sometimes more based on the ingredients. For example, I've paid $200 for dinner once during the fall because Matsutake Mushrooms were in season and part of the meal. To save yourself and the restaurant a bit of trouble and misunderstanding, if you go into a Kaiseki restaurant that doesn't list any prices for their omakase menu. Show them your phone with 10,000 Yen on it, and ask "ii desu ka?" (translation: is that ok?). That way both you and the restaurant know what you're getting into.

For Unagi, try this restaurant. This was recommended to me by one of the hotel staff, and is famous/popular with the locals. It's a restaurant dedicated to unagi, and located near uguisudani station on the Yamanote Line.
http://www.at-ml.jp/?in=67764/

>> No.9633689

>>9632784
>bintochan
If you want to show off your grill otaku levels at least get the name right. Binchotan.

>> No.9633694

>>9632801
>>9633121
>>9633523
Random passerby going to Japan next month - is the $250 rail pass really worth it when I can do an overnight bus for $25?

>I can make some suggestions to you based on which level of sushi you wanna try and budget.
got any recommendations for the $30 > tier?

>> No.9633715

>>9633694
Are you making multiple shinkansen trips? The buses are really cramped and it's difficult to sleep, plus usually you can't check into your lodgings to freshen up until afternoon.

Cheap sushi go to some 100¥ kaiten place like Sushiro, Kappa, Kura, etc

>> No.9633836

How early in advance do you need to book for Swallowtail?

Also, any ryokan recommendation for Osaka? I'll be staying for 2-3 nights there and would like to spend about $200 per night tops.

>> No.9633847

>>9631695
>Okadaya in Shinjuku
>>9633101
>crafts materials

I hear Nippori is an excellent place to visit for crafters. They have oodles of stores all in one section.

>> No.9634117

>>9633694
> Random passerby going to Japan next month - is the $250 rail pass really worth it when I can do an overnight bus for $25?

You're gonna have to be more honest and provide more info before I can make a valid response desu. Such as what's your budget, length of stay, general interests, etc? For example, if you only plan on visiting Japan for a week or two and won't have an opportunity to return in the near future, than the additional costs may be worthwhile to you as to make the most of your trip. On the other hand, if you're a literally broke and your priority to save as much as possible, than you should go with the overnight bus.

For your price bracket, I would go with either Sushi Dai or Sushi Da Wai located in Tsukiji fish market. With my preference being Sushi Dai. Sushi Dai and Daiwa both offer a omakase (chef's choice) option for around $40, that I would recommend you splurge on. A couple of things to keep in mind, if you go to either restaurant, you're gonna have to get there early and there's gonna be a long wait. When I went to Sushi Dai, I got there around 3:30am (restaurant opens at 5am), and there was already a line. I waited 2.5hrs before being seated. At Sushi Daiwa, I got there a bit before 5am, and only had to wait about an hr or so before being seated.
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/01/21/a-visit-to-sushi-dai-japans-best-sushi-restaurant-according-to-world-travelers/
https://rubbisheatrubbishgrow.com/2016/11/13/sushi-dai-vs-sushi-daiwa/

>> No.9634245
File: 72 KB, 640x480, butler_floor.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9633836
>How early in advance do you need to book for Swallowtail?

The site has English instructions.
2 weeks is the earliest you can reserve. But you can show up the day of and hope for a cancellation.

http://www.butlers-cafe.jp/swallowtail/company/reserve_en.html

>> No.9634253

>>9634245
>But you can show up the day of and hope for a cancellation.
imo, this is a terrible plan and requires knowing japanese vs just using the site and requesting a butler that knows some english.

>> No.9634375

>>9633523
ah yes, i've heard positive mention of kyubey. as much as i'd like to go to one of the top sushi joints on tabelog (sushi saito, sukiyabashi jiro, kiyota, etc), given the trouble of acquiring a seat and the price increase I can't help but wonder if it's worth going to a couple nice but cheaper places like kikuzushi in the 10-15k yen range instead. kyubey is still 20k for dinner according to tabelog, apaprently

for the kaiseki, i've heard mutsukari and hirosaku offer good value?

the unagi restaurant recommendation is very helpful!

>>9633689
goof'd by me. good catch.

>> No.9634412

>>9634375
I would argue that Kyubey is the gold standard/benchmark when it comes to high end sushi and worthwhile to check out. Many of the top sushi chef's did their apprenticeships at Kyubey desu. But if you feel that dining out at a couple of cheaper mid-tier sushi restaurants is better value, it's obviously your choice.

Hmm I'm personally not familiar with the two Kaiseki restaurants you mentioned, so I can't comment on their value. I did a quick google and they certainly look good!

>> No.9634424

I don't understand how there are atill people falling for the "visit japan" meme in this day and age.
It's an enormous letdown in every imaginable way. Save your money and don't ruin the hobby for yourself by facing the reality.

>> No.9634428

>>9634424
this may come as a surprise to you but there are people interested in visiting Japan for reasons besides cosplay/anime/fashion

>> No.9634436

>>9634424
Or maybe there are people who aren't idiots that glorify Japan as an anime/kawaiuguu~~~ heaven and realize that it's an actual place just like everywhere else in the world that would actually enjoy going?

FFS, don't try and scare people off just because you were stupid enough to glorify it to an unrealistic level.

>> No.9634446

>>9634424
I rarely ever hear about people being disappointed in Japan though? Even the 'weebs will be disappointed that Japan isn't a magical anime paradise' meme is overblown, anyone who likes anime and manga is gonna find plenty of related stuff to enjoy there.

Personally I've been 8 times and have never not enjoyed a trip. Maybe certain places, but even that's rare. You're in the minority, sorry.

>> No.9634455

>>9634436
>Or maybe there are people who aren't idiots that glorify Japan as an anime/kawaiuguu~~~ heaven and realize that it's an actual place just like everywhere else in the world that would actually enjoy going?
Read the OP again and answer yourself honestly if you really think she is one of those people.

>> No.9634478

>>9634117
>Such as what's your budget, length of stay, general interests, etc?
Staying for ~3.5 weeks (1 week of Tokyo, 1 in Osaka, 1 in Kyoto). Aiming to bring about 2000 USD. But I want to spend as little as possible on stuff that ISN'T clothes (big into lolita/jfashion etc.) which is why I'm being a scrooge with everything else.

>Sushi Dai or Sushi Da Wai located in Tsukiji fish market
Thanks! Gonna bookmark this.

>> No.9634479

>>9633715
Oh, didn't see this reply. If the pass expires in a week, then it's basically useless to me, anyway. I take greyhound/megabus almost every weekend so it's not like I'm not used to cramped buses that are hard to sleep on.

>> No.9634488

>>9634424
Please do tell where you went and why it was so horrible.

>> No.9634500

>>9625733

I think the other cities thing entirely depends on how long your trip is. If youre only going for 2 weeks, don't bother, otherwise you lose too many days just sitting on the train traveling which isn't really worth it.

I went on a really good tour through Viator, they did Mt. Fuji, an Onsen and Outlet Shopping (muh wallet) which was well worth what we paid and if youre traveling all the way there, Mt Fuji is definitely something you should try and see!

I also REALLY recommend going to Itamae Sushi Edo in Akasaka, they dress you in Yukata free of charge and the whole restaurant is themed! If you like cute stuff, Sanrio Puroland is ADORABLE. And all the restaurants in there are themed!

If youre going to Akihabara, keep in mind all of the themed cafes are SUPER expensive and the food is shit, I think we paid about $40 to sit in a maid cafe and have one icecream. There was a 1000Y charge per hour you were there, EACH, and on top of that you HAD to order 2 items from the menu.. It IS an experience, but in my opinion - totally not worth it.. We accidentally walked into Akihabaras largest sex shop.. 7 floors of weird, kinky Japanese sex toys.. I would actually recommend going there.. its like a museum hahaha

>> No.9634857

>>9634253
>>9634253
>imo, this is a terrible plan

Oh I agree. I was just repeating what was on their English site.

That checking for a cancellation is something I'd only consider if I lived in the area and just happened to be walking by.

>> No.9635064

>>9634478
>Staying for ~3.5 weeks (1 week of Tokyo, 1 in Osaka, 1 in Kyoto).
Is there a specific reason why you wanna stay in Osaka and Kyoto a week a piece? You can cover most if not all the major attractions in both cities in about 3days or so. I would seriously consider changing your itinerary and grab a 7day JR Pass and cover both cities in a span of a week.

>Aiming to bring about 2000 USD. But I want to spend as little as possible on stuff that ISN'T clothes (big into lolita/jfashion etc.) which is why I'm being a scrooge with everything else.
Is your accommodations already covered/included in that budget? Not to be a negative Nancy, but I'm not sure that budget is feasible? Even if you cut back on your food expense to let's say $20/day, just eating cheap convenience store food, take out sushi, ramen, and fast food, etc. In terms of daily living expenses, you're still looking at:
$10/day - local transit
$20/day - food
$40/day - accommodations

So $70/day x 24 days = $1680 and $2000 - 1680 = $320

$320 leaves very little room for shopping, since you still haven't covered any of your miscellaneous expenses like visiting shrines, temples, cafes, and basic utilities like laundry or wifi.

>> No.9635482

>>9634412
Well the price difference between kyubey and a "medium" restaurant is only 5k yen, which is not a crazy jump. Considering Jiro and Saito are, IIRC, 30k yen that's a sizable step up from a 20k yen restaurant for just one meal. I was wondering if you thought there was a worthwhile difference between a 20k yen place (like kyubey) or a 30k yen place.

I've eaten at most of the top sushi restaurants in northern california, and some in southern california and vegas and found not a huge notable difference between the most expensive and the middle-ground ones, certainly not worth the doubled prices here (my favorite is a small shop in Alameda that costs $85). but in tokyo, i'm willing to believe that those guidelines might not apply.

>>9634424
People overpay for all sorts of shit. Just two months ago I went to SDCC, and I think I'm done with that con. For the time, effort, and money invested you get to do very little except try to be the geek/nerd equivalent of kids posting "first" on youtube videos.

I want to eat, get some clothes, maybe a bit of mecha merchandise, and try a maid cafe (it will probably creep me out).

>> No.9635634

>>9635482
>I've eaten at most of the top sushi restaurants in northern california
>(my favorite is a small shop in Alameda that costs $85)
Names please, I'm yet to find a sushi place in norcal that's not trash.

>> No.9635665

Arriving to Tokyo on Dec 30. Boyfriend wants to climb Mt Fuji but it doesn't seem sensible (or even doable) to me.

Opinions?

>> No.9635669

>>9635665
Are you fit?
Do you hike regularly?
Do you know how to prepare for a mountain hike?
Do you have mountain hiking equipment, starting with boots?
Do you know the difficulty and weather conditions when hiking Mt Fuji?

If yes then great, enjoy your hike. Otherwise, don't be a dumb gaijin that will need to be airlifted down.

>> No.9635672

>>9635669

I only know about the last point, and he doesn't even know that so thanks anon. Hope this will put the idea away for him.

>> No.9635732

>>9635665
From the Fuji website, first Google result for "climb Mt Fuji"
>The climbing season for Mt. Fuji is from early July to early September. In other periods and during the snow season, climbing Mt. Fuji is prohibited.
>Climbing Mt. Fuji is only permitted during the period in which trails are open in the summer.
>In any period other than the climbing season, trails and huts are closed, and it is very dangerous to climb the mountain during the period.

>> No.9636120

I've been planning a trip to Japan for in the spring, preferably mid May, and all I have left to do is book our flight then our Airbnb. Just thought I'd check in and ask - I'm following several weeks on Google Flight alerts and am subscribed to Scott's Cheap Flights (even doing the $15 for three months thing after recieving two emails saying that the free tier didn't get two deals for Tokyo...), is there anywhere else I should be stalking or subscribing to for finding a sub $1000 flight?

>> No.9636148

>>9636120
Unfortunately you're traveling during the peak season for Japan (April- September), so ticket prices usually range between $1500-1800 roumdtrip. Not saying it's impossible to find a deal for that price range, just highly unlikely.

>> No.9636156

>>9636148
Like, there's been plenty for $1000 with Air Canada, 15 hour trip, and the two I missed out on from Scott's I don't know the context of but they were around $500 and $600. I know certainly there are good deals, just seeing if there's more places to look or I've got the main places. I kind of want to look at other airline comparison websites, but I have heard on the news and such that these websites makes flights more expensive when they realize what you're looking at, so I don't know what places are best for avoiding that.

>> No.9636173

>>9636156
Air Canada advertised discount flights for Japan between November-March for about $1k. Usually during the slow season they range around $1100-1300. Previously there was a deal for Toronto to HK and Japan for iirc $650?

You can try checking out www.yyzdeals.com/ for any upcoming deals. But this site is for Toronto flights, and I'm assuming you're from the States. So I'm not sure how useful this site will be for you?

>> No.9636174

>>9636156
http://www.yyzdeals.com/2-in-1-trips-toronto-to-taiwan-japan-south-korea-619-to-658-cad-roundtrip-including-taxes

>> No.9636227

>>9636173
It's all good, thanks for trying to be helpful! Yeah I'm in the states, not even close to a super big airport, best I have is CVG (Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky) but I'm also keeping an eye on Chicago and Atlanta if they get any good deals worth flying there for. The $1k round trips were for CVG to Haneda, Air Canada, quick trips, and my most preferred week (11th or 12th to 19th or so) through Google Flights, I didn't buy though hoping I'd see an $800 that wasn't a trash 35 hour Turkish Airlines flight. I'm guessing though that if that pops up again it really is a good deal I should get? It's stayed pretty steady between $1 and $1.1k though.

>> No.9636439

>>9636227
Honestly...talking about it makes me realize how perfect this flight is. Not the cheapest, but hitting every check point I want is pretty big for me. Anons who have flown there in the past, is $1020 roundtrip each for three people with two free bags each, 16 hour flight to Haneda a good enough deal to settle on it? Or will there definetly be better flights in the future? (that feel when I'm kind of hoping this North Korean missle craziness will lower flight costs haha)

In a side question, looks like these would be through Voyama, and I tried to see how much it would cost to cancel the flight if some miracle deal popped up and they're incredibly vague, just saying "partial". I've never flown before honestly, how partial is it generally in the industry? Is it just some fee to them for the hassle of it all, or do you lose out on a huge amount you just spent? Looks like Air Canada if I booked directly through them would give me a full refund, but they're an extra $100.

>> No.9636489

>>9636439
>Anons who have flown there in the past, is $1020 roundtrip each for three people with two free bags each, 16 hour flight to Haneda a good enough deal to settle on it? Or will there definetly be better flights in the future?
It is a good deal, since flights around this time usually in the area of $1500-1600. The very peak is during Cherry Blossoms, where roundtrip tickets run for about $2k. From reading your previous post, you're only going to be Japan for about a week? If so, I would go with the shortest and most direct flights there as possible in order to make the most of the trip. If you were traveling to Japan for a month, than it's not a big deal to lose a bit of time doing layovers and multiple connections to save money. But since you're only doing a short trip, just take the hit financially, not worry about it and have fun!

Also for any of you who have the option of flying in to either Haneda or Narita, pick Haneda. Simple reason is it's a lot closer and easier to get to Tokyo. Taking local transit one way should only costs about $6-7, and about 45min travel time. Narita is about double the price and time.

>In a side question, looks like these would be through Voyama, and I tried to see how much it would cost to cancel the flight if some miracle deal popped up and they're incredibly vague, just saying "partial". I've never flown before honestly, how partial is it generally in the industry? Is it just some fee to them for the hassle of it all, or do you lose out on a huge amount you just spent?
I've never dealt with them, but from reading online reviews they appear to have really bad customer service. Also, since the flights are booked by them, you personally can't make any changes to the flight. Only they can. So you'll have to contact them to make arrangements. Imho just spend the extra $100 and go with Air Canada.

>> No.9636514

>>9635482
>Well the price difference between kyubey and a "medium" restaurant is only 5k yen, which is not a crazy jump. Considering Jiro and Saito are, IIRC, 30k yen that's a sizable step up from a 20k yen restaurant for just one meal. I was wondering if you thought there was a worthwhile difference between a 20k yen place (like kyubey) or a 30k yen place.

This is a difficult question for me to answer desu, because it's very difficult to negotiate taste and value to another person. Meaning, I might be perfectly satisfied to spend $300 on a full course omakase sushi dinner, but for someone else they may not see the value in it and would quite happily settle on cheap $10 take-out sushi from the mall.

Another thing too is that a restaurant is not necessarily "better" than another restaurant based on their price tag. For example, Sushi Bar Yasuda is currently priced in the upper mid tier bracket, but I personally feel it's overpriced for the food it's serving. Just as a point of comparison, I feel the sushi served at Sushi Dai is comparable and priced at a much lower bracket (approximately $40) vs. Sushi Bar Yasuda being around $100-150. There's a stark difference between reviews by foreigners and locals, largely due to the free advertising the restaurant got through Bourdain:
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g1066451-d3610615-Reviews-Sushi_Bar_Yasuda-Minato_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html
https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1307/A130701/13134616/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0hH_XR433A

>> No.9636634

>>9636514
Jiro is overrated, impossible to get a reservation and notorious unfriendly to gaijin.

>> No.9636638

>>9635634
>>9635634
>>9635634
>>9635634
>>9635634
pls respond

>> No.9636984

>>9635064
Oh, the 2,000 didn't include accommodations. That I have already paid for/figured out. the 2k is for food/trains/fun, etc. The places I'm staying have washing machines/wifi included, too, so don't have to worry about that.

>Is there a specific reason why you wanna stay in Osaka and Kyoto a week a piece? You can cover most if not all the major attractions in both cities in about 3days or so.
Family obligations in Osaka/concert in Kyoto. But maybe after the concert, I'll head back to Tokyo instead of staying for the whole week.

>> No.9637202

On our last day we will in Osaka and have to get to Narita. The best flight right now gets into Narita at 4pm and we have to be on our flight to LAX at 6:50pm. Is that enough time in between to get from one to another?

>> No.9637278

>>9636984
>Oh, the 2,000 didn't include accommodations. That I have already paid for/figured out. the 2k is for food/trains/fun, etc. The places I'm staying have washing machines/wifi included, too, so don't have to worry about that.
By wifi I meant either pocket wifi or prepaid data only sim cards for your phone. This will enable you to use google maps and translate and make your trip a lot easier and more enjoyable imho. If you had to pick between the two, go for a prepaid data only sim card. You can get them at either BIC Camera or Yodobashi Camera, their both discount electronic store chains in Japan similar to Future Shop or Best Buy.
http://www.biccamera.com/bc/category/?q=BIC%81%40SIM%81%40JAPAN%81%40TRAVEL%81%40SIM&

Since accommodations are covered, if we bump up your daily food costs a little, your new number should be the following:
$10/day - local transit
$30/day - food

So $40/day x 24 days = $960 and $2000 - 960 = $1040

>Family obligations in Osaka/concert in Kyoto. But maybe after the concert, I'll head back to Tokyo instead of staying for the whole week.
If you have a rough itinerary, you can post it here and I can take look at and may recommendations based on your schedule.

>> No.9638279

>>9634424
I for one want to do business in Japan

>> No.9640169

May-anon here again with a question. (Also I wanted to thank you Vodka-san, you're so helpful to so many people in this thread! You live there or just visit a lot or what?)

So I'm someone with terrible allergies, sometimes I take multiple over the counter medications, I just avoid diphenhydramine (benadryl) because it knocks me out. Some days I'm so bad I use pseudophedrine to help relieve my stuffiness. However, I see that's a banned substance to bring into Japan, and I understand why. However is there any way to purchase it while inside Japan at all, or a similar product? Or am I just out of luck and should hope I don't have terrible allergies or get sick while there?

>> No.9640306

>>9640169
Pabron S has pseudoephedrin hydrochloride.
Try a nasal spray antihistamine though, those worked for me when nothing else did. Spring Japan allergies almost killed me

>> No.9640329

>>9625733
Around what time? Because rn at tokyo Disneyland they have the Disney villans.... if youre into hot genderbent disney villans.

>> No.9640470

Things to do in Tokyo for NYE? Is there any cool club people go to party? Should I visit a temple? Go to bed early and wake up at 5am for fukubukuro?

>> No.9640790

>>9640470
New Years is a family holiday, there isn’t a lot of partying. Shrines are hugely crowded, so only if you want to shuffle in lines for hours with no toilets. A lot of jfash fukubukuro are available for pre-order so you don’t need to rush for release day. However there are sales, if you’re into that then line up early

>> No.9640804

>>9640470
I haven't seen much announced yet, but Womb normally does a NYE countdown. There are quite a few clubs that do parties that night if that's what you're looking for but I'd start looking next month since the schedules aren't usually filled in more than 2 months in advance.

>> No.9640828

>>9640169
>(Also I wanted to thank you Vodka-san, you're so helpful to so many people in this thread! You live there or just visit a lot or what?)

No problem. I'm a bit older than most of the people that post here, and grew up during the golden age of anime, cosplay and conventions. I still attend conventions, and enjoy the community and like to give back and help people whenever I can contribute something meaningful.

No I don't live in Japan, but I've been there a few times on vacation/working holiday. I spent time there training as a chef, and explored the food scene there. Such as produce and ingredients, knives, markets, restaurants, etc.
I've been to Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Kobe, Sakai, Hiroshima, etc.

>> No.9641097

>>9640169
If a 10mg loratadine tablet in the morning doesn't help you then I feel sorry for you. If you haven't tried it then do, for me loratadine was the miracle cure-all for my pollen and related allergies. It comes under many trade names, generic (super cheap at Costco if you're Murrican) are as good as brand names for good goys.

For emergency congestion and stuffiness relief Sudafed is great but that's pseudophedrine again. There is some cucked version of Sudafed without pseudo with another active ingredient instead for sale in more paranoid countries, but I don't remember what it was (it's still called Sudafed, just with some letter after it or something, look it up). Sadly for me only the real pseudo version works.

>> No.9641107

>>9640790

>>9640804

Thanks! I guess a countdown and maybe karaoke would be cool? That way I can actually go to bed at a reasonable time to wake up early for sales next day.

That provided I can sleep cause I arrive on the 30th and never traveled to a country with such a big time difference.

Thanks anons!

>> No.9641113

>>9641107
diff anon be very aware of the times if you plan on taking the trains and such especially if they go past/thru shibuya because sometimes theyll stop the trains to stop more people from coming into shibuya. A friend of ours planned on joining us at midnight at a shrine but wanted to party until 11pm in shibuya and she ended up getting stuck there and wasnt able to leave because they stopped all the trains coming and going and then had to wait with all the hundreds of other people who also wanted to leave. Im not sure if they do this every year or just when it gets too packed or if it was a freak event.

>> No.9641123

Long-time Tokyo resident here.

>>9641107
New Years is a family holiday but it's also most certainly a party day. News Years is the only day of the year the trains run ALL NIGHT in Tokyo (idk about elsewhere). This is a super rare opportunity to cruise around and see nightlife in different parts of Tokyo without having to pay ridiculous taxi rates.
However keep in mind almost everything "Mom & Pop" will be closed around the New Year. It's like Japanese Christmas and one of the few times people take time off.
Don't bother going to a huge shrine like Meiji-jingu (in Harajuku), too crowded. I do recommend checking out a smaller local one though, they have stalls and fun stuff set up sometimes.

>>9633694
The overnight busses are terrible. Especially super cheap ones without bathrooms on board. Very hard to sleep, dumps you off so early in the morning that nothing is open and no trains are running.
The shinkansen is like an experience in and of itself. Crack open a beer or a little bottle of wine or whatever, sit back and watch the scenery zoom by. With no security checks or reservations necessary (if you have the JR pass) it's the most convenient form of transportation ever.

Also, if any of you are visiting Japan for even a week I highly suggest getting the hell out of Tokyo. At the very least take the shinkansen to Kyoto and look at some cool temples and stuff there (Kodaiji is my recommendation). From Kyoto you can take the normal train to Nara and feed the 'tame' deer and check out Todaiji (huge buddha statue). This is pretty much the bare minimum to get the "I saw Japanese stuff" feeling of accomplishment.

>> No.9641124

This isn't really cgl-related, but maybe someone can help.

Did anyone try eating Kobe beef in Tokyo? My bf and I want to try it when we go there. I know it's expensive, but does anyone know a good place to go visit which is about $80 per person for a menu? Or are we stillo being too cheap?

Also, any experiences how much transit will cost on a day?

>> No.9641296

>>9640306
>>9641097
Thanks, I'll keep Pabron S on my potential to buy list if I feel awful there! And yeah I do take fluticasone (flonase) daily, and generic claritin, sometimes generic allegra...they all help me not be a pile of allergic crying mush, but nothing ever makes it go away fully. Can't recall the last day I didn't sneeze a lot and my eyes didn't water.

>>9641123
That actually sounds very similar to the itenerary I set up for my party! We only have 6 days to be there with the day lost in transit and plan to shinkansen over to Kyoto for one full day, spend the night, then see Nara and more of Kyoto the next day, then back to Tokyo.

In a question to anyone, places you guys would suggest to eat in Kyoto? I've made a big list of Tokyo places, so I'm not specifically searching for only one option or anything, just good places there in general to keep in mind.

>> No.9641330

>Good places to eat that are not tourist traps
pretty much any little side place that interests you. My favorite place in shibuya has to be Uobei which is a 100 yen sushi place. Im not a huge fish conissor but its about 5-10x better than any midrange sushi place ive been to in California and Hawaii. Plus they have fries, udon, hamburger "sushi/nigiri", fried chicken ect for people who arent fish fans. honestly the shibuya one kind of sucks compared to the one in tama/hachioji area but its cheap.
>Cute themed cafes
pompom purin in yokohama, kawaii monster cafe, harajuku and shibuya have limited time cafes in the parco building and others that are always changing..... theres 4 or 5 alice cafes in shibuya, shinjuku, ginza, ect . All are slightly different but for some reason the one in shibuya seemed to close really early.
since people sad nakano broadway and mandrake already, i would say hardoff/hobby off (part of the book off chain). Its a little out of the way but in hachioji, a bit of a walk from the station, i was able to find so many gachapon, disney pins, disney merch, games, figures, ect.
Ive been to the american parks and paris.. and disneysea/TDL is by far my favorite especially if you like kawaii things and disney. They have far cuter merch and completely different from the western merch. Pin trading isnt a thing there so they dont have nearly as many pins but i believe 90%+ are different from the US and Paris ones. If youre familar with WDW and DL and only have one day go to disney sea.. its like calfornia adventure and hollywood studios but its own twist and themes. Try all the popcorns.

I would only go to puroland if you REALLY love hello kitty and sanrio and are mostly going for photos. I thought it was expensive and didnt buy anything because i dont like hello kitty (only some of her friends)

>> No.9641333

>>9641330
(cont).
its more of a go to take lots of photos if youre dressed cute, eat cute foods and maybe do a ride and a ton of shopping, imo. I like some characters but not enough for it to be worth it.

Theres this super tourist chinese looking building called oriental bazar where you can find cheaper yukata ($40-60 for a set) vs the $200+ ones. This is also where they have cheapish touristy items and postcards. When i went last there really were no scenic postcards except for this place.. but i heard theyre everywhere now.... Also if you have to get gifts for people.. go to daiso/100 yen shops. The have stuff for everyone. (this probably is said all the time/already known but thought it would throw it in).
You might also want to carve out half a day or a few hours for tokyo station to check out the pokemon center, sanrio character stores, miffy store, ect especially if you dont go to the pokemon centers else where such as yokohama.

>> No.9641356

>>9625733
>Is Tokyo Disney worth it
No, Disneyland in general is alright if it's your first time while still a teen, or for children. Japan is no different, even Disney Sea was mediocre. Your day + 10k Yen is best spent elsewhere

>> No.9641377

>>9641356
Yeah Tokyo DL is like a slightly outdated Anaheim DL. With the exception of some different merch and some cool parades there's not much different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHPCIfHcizA

>> No.9641402
File: 71 KB, 728x529, crystal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9641296
Pabron S is pseudo so it should be good. The non-pseudo Sudafed I was talking about was Sudafed PE (phenylephrine), but as I said it does literally nothing to me. Maybe it would work better for you.

Topical nasal sprays with oxymetazoline are kinda ok too, but you should use them as an absolute once-off last resort because you get super dependent on them. Like not in heavy drugs kind of dependent, but lose effectiveness at basic doses very fast and also prevent other drugs from working in a way. At least that's what my doctor said, to stay away from it as much as possible.

Also did you ever try effervescent calcium tablets? One of them in a glass of water can bring me back from a total hayfever meltdown surprisingly well.

>> No.9641648

>>9641330
Shibuya Parco closed in 2016
Most of the theme cafes have poor quality food
There are Hard Off and other recycle shops all around Tokyo
Hobby Off locations https://www.hardoff.co.jp/shop/kanto/tokyo/hobbyoff/

For yukata, Kimono Guy sets up shop outside Laforet most days, and you can also get cheap ones at places like Chicago

>> No.9641992

>>9627848
Rent a private Onsen room by the hour, no one will check you for tats unless they're visible on your face/neck/hands?

>> No.9642357

>>9636120

The google flight alert got me a $957 Osaka ticket.

You have the alert on and also go ahead and look at the calendar dates from time to time. It should have alerted me and didn't all the time.

>> No.9642397

Disney SEA is rad. Nothing like it anywhere else.

>> No.9644448

>>9641648
theme cafes arent for the quality. theyre for cute food. the only one that was bad ive been to was christon and the maid cafe in donki. The alkatraz ER was terrible thought. Microwaved tv dinner quality.

idk i thought the hobby off and hard offs in the center were usually picked over especially the shibuya (or was it shinjuku) one everyone suggests. the first few on that list are equally as far from the city (machida, tachikawai, hajioji, minami tama)....

but shit man didnt realize parco closed

>> No.9647092

>>9635665
I climbed Mt. Fuji with my boyfriend about a month ago, let me know if you have any questions!

That being said, don't even think about going up in the winter unless you have done winter climbing AND roped climbing before, and have the proper gear. Shit's cold up there.

>> No.9647097

>>9637202
Wait, are you saying that you will be landing in Narita at 4, and then NRT to LAX leaves at 6:50? If that's the case, then you'll be fine. You won't have to go through security again and will have time to grab some dinner.

>> No.9647099

>>9647092
How difficult did you find it? I'm going next year with a friend and while I'm a seasoned hiker she has pretty much no experience.

I want to know how much I should press her on getting some experience in hiking before we go.

>> No.9647197

>>9631996
Shibuya and Kawasaki will have big Halloween events. Ikebukuro will have a cosplay event as well.

Kawasaki's is the largest Halloween event in Japan.

>> No.9647278

>>9637202
What airline are you flying?

>> No.9647961

>>9642357

Last night I got an alert for a $720 flight to Tokyo in March, so now I'm going to Tokyo in March with my BF.

Disney is high priority for us, then we have 3 1/2 days in Tokyo, part of which will definitely be used for Akiba shopping, he wants to see Diver City's gundam (probably at night?) and meiji shrine and asakusa. Debating if I want to look for a themed cafe, or maybe a maid cafe. I've never been to a maid cafe, usually my travelling companions say no.

>> No.9647964

>>9647961
If you're doing all the way out to Diver city then plan on doing stuff in Odaiba. It's a pretty long train ride just for hte Gundam. Maybe Joypolis?

>> No.9647987

>>9647961
>>9647964
If you're heading out to Odaiba, you can check out the following: retro arcade, Giant Gundam, Gundam museum, Takoyaki museum, Joypolis Sunshine bridge, etc). There's also a few outlet malls you can check out and do some shopping. There's also a giant ferris wheel that lights up that might be cute as a date with your bf, it was featured in one of the Inu Yasha ED's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI_el2XhI8s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daikanransha

>not gonna lie I played this song while I was riding the ferris wheel for nostalgia purposes

>> No.9648357

>>9647964
>>9647987

We were actually looking at staying near Odaiba in an airbnb for close access to Disney. I figure we will have the earliest mornings at Disney, then the following days I don't mind a morning commute when there's no rush to get anywhere. We could see Diver on the way back one night or before we head out.
Thought about switching to a more central airbnb midway but not sure it's worth it for three days, when it means taking the luggage on a long trip. Will definitely buy a lot. Planning on 2 full size and 2 carry ons likely.

>> No.9648432

>>9648357
I booked a room near Shiomi Station, ~20 minutes to Disneyland, 25 to Odaiba, 20 to Akibahara and around 50 to Harajuku/Asakusa sounds fine to me. Last time I stayed in Tokyo it was in Asakusa, I really loved it there, but I didn't get to Tokyo Bay at all.

>> No.9648864

>>9648357
>Planning on 2 full size
That's going to be hell if you're planning on going anywhere else but if you're staying in one place the whole time it might be okay.

>> No.9648867

>>9648357
Personally I would recommend you pick an accommodation anywhere near the Yamanote line. Whether it be Airbnb, hotel, ryokan, etc. It's just more convenient, and less hassle when you're going to and from the airport imho. Odaiba is a bit out of the way for a lot of things desu.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamanote_Line

Fyi there's two different Disney amusement parks in Tokyo, Disneyland and Disneyland Sea. I've been to both parks, and recommend you check out Disneyland Sea.

>> No.9648871

>>9648867
This. Odaiba is kind of on it's own island and the trains to the center of Tokyo can get expensive. I don't think the Tokyo Metro ticket covers those.

>> No.9648979

>>9648357
I went to Japan a year ago and stayed in Odaiba. It was our honeymoon, so we wanted it to have kind of a “resort” feeling. Walking by the beach, going to all the shopping centers/attractions and restaurants there, it’s a different feeling from Tokyo proper. More spacious, but it’s pretty far from the rest of the things you probably want to do. For that trip it was really nice, but if I were to go on a regular trip I would want to stay somewhere more convenient.

>> No.9649012

>>9647961
>>9648357
If you have a general idea of what your budget, length of travel, and itinerary is gonna be, it would help filter our responses better desu.

>> No.9649043

>>9648864
That's the plan, that's why I'm looking for a central-enough hotel. I'm booked at the APA Hotel Shiomi Station right now (can change) which seems close to Odaiba, Akibahara and Disney. We're doing 2 days in Disney, 1 for each, then we have 3 1/2 days thereafter.

I have already been to Tokyo and did the tiny room in Asakusa feel. I don't have much of an itinerary yet, still trying to figure out where we're going to sleep. This is a pretty impulsive purchase with a low budget.

>> No.9649462

Is there a good district for cute/good cooking supplies? Some Japan travel blogger brought up one in Tokyo or Osaka but I can't remember for the life of my which one it was.

>> No.9649497
File: 48 KB, 443x332, IMG_1041.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9647099
Sorry for the late reply!

(1/2)

So the difficulty is interesting, as I'd call it fairly challenging but not super duper hard. My boyfriend is a much more seasoned hiker than me, and he says he'd give it a medium rating in a hiking guide book. Meanwhile, I would rate it as hard. We went with Fujiyoshida trail up and Gotemba to Fujiyoshida down, and I would highly recommend it. Fujiyoshida does have a few sections of scrambles and a lot of the trail is 35-45°.

Things you have to watch out for are mainly altitude and wind- I live at 1300m and we still took altitude sickness prevention medication (acetazolomide). I very highly recommend it, as it is a small price to pay for not having to turn back after you're halfway up, or worse, get transported down. Just read a few Mt. Fuji blogs and you'll get the idea. Also when we were on the last stretch about 300m from the top, we encountered many sick people just sprawled out on the rocks. Wind gusts peaked at what I estimate to be 80km/h up at the top, with sustained wind at 40km/h + so a good shell is a must.

(Pic from google, not my pic)

>> No.9649502
File: 81 KB, 443x332, IMG_1040.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9647099
>>9649497
(2/2)

One thing nobody seemed to mention is how many fucking wasps there are up there, like what the hell. They didn't cause me any trouble other than be annoying, but if anyone is allergic bring an epipen.

Definitely shell out for a mountain hut at the 8th, 8.5, or 9th station. It is so much better to save the last bit for later, plus the rest will be very precious. Bring 5000 to 10000 yen each (plus mountain hut fee on top of that). I deeply regretted not bringing more money, as water is 500 yen and food starts at 1000 yen. We didn't have enough money to eat anything and only had 1 bottle of water to go down with, so I was not in the best mood lol.

To answer the last part, you absolutely need to make her hike, multiple times if at all possible. I don't hike often, and struggled at some points. Tell her that if she doesn't hike, she won't make it up. The Japanese people that climb it do practice climbs on Mt. Hoei and others, or so I hear. This guide might be useful too:
fujimountainguides . com/uploads/1/5/ 3/1/153 15858/__fmg_physical_fitness_and_conditioning . pdf
(Sorry, you have to take out the spaces)

Please let me know if you have any more questions! I can drop a throwaway email too if you don't want to clog the thread!

(Pic from google again)

>> No.9650084

>>9649462
kappabashistreet?
for how out of the way it is (if you dont have a full day in asakusa or something), i would only recommend it for fake food making classes and if youre a legit chef wanting to buy knifes or real dishes and ect.
We went exclusively for cute bento supplies last year and were really disappointed as we only were really able to stop at two or three things and most could be found at tokyu hands, loft, daiso, supermarkets etc.
We did go again with the boyfriend who works in a kitchen and needed supplies and he found what he was looking for and some extra goodies.

>> No.9650182

>>9649462
In Tokyo there's Kappabashi and in Osaka there's Sennichimae Doguyasuji. Both are referred to as Kitchen Street/Town and they have everything you could ever need in a kitchen. Keep in mind, on first glance the shops don't look too big or interesting outside but many of them are multi-storied and they have deep depositories of Kitchen supply goods. If you're interested in knives and ingredients, there's also the outer market in Tsukiji fish market.

Fyi Kappabashi is much bigger than Sennichimae Doguyasuji, but Sennichimae Doguyasuji has better prices for a lot of their goods. For example, I was able to find same or similar Kitchen Knives for about 10-20% cheaper at Sennichimae Doguyasuji vs Kappabashi.

There's also a chain called Tomizawa that sell's specialty ingredients and tools used for baking. Their a little expensive, but worth checking out imho,
https://tomiz.com/

>> No.9651634
File: 154 KB, 685x311, yotsuba_and_souvenir_by_muna56[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

what are good souvenirs to get, and where can you buy them?
I want to get something personal for my family and then something for multiple people at the dentist's office I've been frequenting

>> No.9651660

>>9651634

Personal items and multiple items are good to get at Daiso and Tokyu Hands.

Both are cheap and allow you to get a lot for little money.

I bought character face masks at Tokyu Hands and cute food items at Daiso.
You can also find 100 yen face masks at lots of beauty stores.

Weird flavored KitKats are also popular as gifts. You can get those at convenience stores and the airports.

>> No.9651787

>>9651634
Go to donqi and just buy the weirdest shit you can find

>> No.9652987
File: 236 KB, 900x582, 2012-06-27-Death-Of-A-Salaryman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9651634

>> No.9653047

Any luck selling at Closet Child? I have a new with tags Baby bolero and skirt I wouldn't mind getting cash for.

>> No.9653075

>>9653047
You need proof of address in Japan. Also be prepared to get max $10 per item

>> No.9653395

>>9651634
you might also want to get omiyage (a box of individually wrapped items usually food) for something generic like an office. Most major train stations, stores and at the airport sell them. Usually theyre mochi, red bean paste or green tea filled pankcakes, but tokyo banana makes little banana or tail shaped cakes with banana cream filling for those who might not like strange asian flavors. Flavored kitkats work as well as random packaged snacks from daiso or other 100 yen shops or super markets. If youre able to go to a supermarket, sometimes snacks are cheaper than daiso, and usually cheaper than donkiote especially if you can find the bag of green tea or limited time flavor kitkats. regional or boxed kitkats of special flavors are the same price everywhere normally.

>> No.9655508

I know I probably don't have to say this, but get a Suica card asap. They're so convenient, you can even buy stuff from convenience stores and some restaurants with them.
Tokyo Metropolitan Building is the place to be for a view of the city. It may not be the tallest, but it's free and easy. Fuck the Skytree, fuck Tokyo Tower.
Capcom Bar is cool imo, but I haven't been to the Square Enix cafe.
Akihabara is cool if it's your first time in Tokyo, don't let people convince you to go somewhere else instead. My personal favorite thing is the Akihabara gashapon hall, don't skip it! The toy section of Yodobashi Camera is also cool, and it's right next to the Square Enix cafe.
Shibuya at night is a lot of fun, but I would look up cheap bars like The Hub if you don't want to spend a ton. Hachiko and the Shibuya crossing are touristy, sure, but they're still really cool. The Shibuya crossing took my breath away, but I'm a country boy so idk.
Since you have a bf, get a weird love hotel. They're fun.
NJPW is great if you're even mildly interested in pro wrestling. They're the best in the world.
Tokyo Disney Sea is maybe worth it, but that's it. You'd have to be a really big fan of Disney for it to be worth it imo.
However, Osaka has Universal Studios Japan and I enjoyed that a lot more. But I don't care about Disney, so ymmv.
Torikizoku in Shibuya is the best yakitori I've had in all my time living in Japan. Do not skip it. The drinks are also cheap but a little weak, and you'll probably have to wait a little bit. We waited an hour and it was worth it. I liked their Ramune highball.
Odaiba. Try to take some time out of your trip for Odaiba. Miraikan is a really cool tech museum, the Gundam statue just got upgraded, and Joypolis is a lot of fun. Look up their website to find the best deals, just know that the place is popular with kids, so going late at night may be ideal. Plus you'd get to see the Odaiba rainbow bridge all lit up.

I hope you guys have an awesome time.

>> No.9657568

Have any of you been to the Zettai Ryoiki knee high shop in Akiba? I wanted to go when I'm there next week but Google is saying it's permanently closed, not sure if it's accurate.

>> No.9657634
File: 307 KB, 580x387, 1504804619254.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

First time Japan tourist here.
So I'm incredibly overwhelmed with all the things you can do/seee/shop. I'll be staying for 9 days with my bf and I'm trying to do some planning.
Only things I have so far are Tokyo Disneyland or Sea and something on Halloween, maybe Shibuya crossing?

Is there any j-fashion shopping guide?? I want to visit major lolita brands and other popular j-fash stores.
Also, any recommendations for art supplies (like copic)?

Ah, I don't know where to start...

>> No.9658771

ALERT for those looking to fly to Tokyo

Scott's Cheap fares announced tix for $564 to Tokyo. Here are the cities you can fly from:

Atlanta (ATL) - $564
Detroit (DTW) - $564
Minneapolis (MSP) - $564
Portland (PDX) - $564

That's like a $400 savings. If you can afford to get your ticket in the next day or so DO IT.

>> No.9658815

>>9658771
Damn there are some good deals today. Lax is only $499 to Tokyo on the Japanese airlines which is super good even by lax standards. Good day to buy tickets.

>> No.9658837

>>9658771
i literally just went to tokyo a few months ago and this is making it really fucking difficult to not plan another trip
wow

>> No.9658899
File: 152 KB, 960x664, 22491450_10210536230264387_5454545268730631120_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9658815

Yeah I very much envy the west coasters that can fly to Japan a hell of a lot cheaper and faster than east coasters.

>>9658837
I just got back from Osaka Last Fucking Week and I'm like..."I could swing that Tokyo ticket price...I could do it, just AirBnb it up and spend a week there too."

>> No.9658952

>>9658837
>>9658899
Fuck yeah. I'm going next week and thinking about planning another future trip already with these prices

>> No.9659005

>>9657568
Idk if its still open but...
As a lolita its not worth it. Majority are plain or knock offs you can buy on taobao. If youre into tights for normie fashion, overseas maido cafe worker or maybe cosplay it might be more worth it...
desu youre better going to donki quiote and general cosplay type shops and harajuku or finding them on taobao

>> No.9659219

I’m living here for nine months for school so I’d definitively like ideas for a weekend trip to Tokyo. In Kobe there’s a lot to do historically speaking since I’m so close to himeji, Kyoto, and Osaka, but I’d love to do kitschy things too.

>> No.9659268

>>9657568
I went there 2 years ago. It was cool for their original printed tights. They are the special ones you can find on TOM though so there is no real draw to go physically other than bragging rights.

>> No.9659285

>>9634424
I've been going to Japan for 10 years now, you bitter cunt. I guess the worst kind of weebs might have their expectations ruined, but its a great place to vacation for a vast number of reasons.

>> No.9659334

>>9634455
NAYRT
but I believe she was, got her dreams crushed, and snapped tf out of it, and made this salty post

>> No.9659663

Im flying out to tokyo in just in couple days for a family trip, and im only just looking at shops to visit now, anyone know of some more gothic shops, preferably around Harajuku? I know that closet child has a goth floor but thats it. Ofc with it being Halloween I know shops will have spoopy stuff so im gonna take at look that too.

Planning this is so overwhelming, theres such much to do!

>> No.9659833

>>9659663

Def hit up the Tokyu Hands and any craft stores you see. They are rolling out the Halloween stuff hard.

I was in Osaka 2wks ago and all the kids and adults were doing halloween crafts in the craft store.

>> No.9659883

>>9659663
Laforet basement, Atelier Boz is at Yoyogi-Hachiman station (Odakyu line, take Chiyoda line from Harajuku to Yoyogi Uehara and transfer), from next to Laforet you can take the Fukutoshin line to Shinjuku-sanchome which is close to Maruione

>> No.9660449

>>9659883
>maruione
Idk how I missed this before, Ill defiantly vist there, thanks anon!

>> No.9660546

I'm planning on going to Japan in may but I haven't booked anything yet. How fucked am I?

>> No.9660554

>>9660546
youre good... maybe not flight wise... but i went in march and didnt book anything until november.. and i feel like our airbnb wasnt booked until closer (dec/jan) because there werent many options

>> No.9660574

>>9659883
>>9660449
MaruiOne is dead, lolita shops moved to Marui Annex

>> No.9660963

>>9660574
The section (top floors) is One, but it’s in Annex building now

>> No.9661043

>>9660546
>I'm planning on going to Japan in may but I haven't booked anything yet. How fucked am I?

See my previous post >>9658771 and BOOK IT NOW. Save yourself money you can spend on fun stuff in Japan.

You aren't totally screwed though. I planned a late Sept trip to Osaka and didn't buy the plane ticket until 3 weeks out. Still somehow got a sweet deal of $950 on Atlanta - Toronto - Vancouver - Osaka on Air Canada

I know I got lucky though. Most tickets were $1,400+

>> No.9661565

>>9661043
Are there any DC to Narita for prices that good?

>> No.9661566

>>9661043
>>9661565
Forgot to add, but isn't Air Canada to Japan kinda shit?

>> No.9661861

>>9661565

This is the last of the cities included:
Boston (BOS) - $549
Charlotte (CLT) - $549
Chicago (ORD) - $549
Dallas (DFW) - $549
Miami (MIA) - $549
Philadelphia (PHL) - $549
Phoenix (PHX) - $549
San Diego (SAN) - $549

If you can get to one of those airports you can save a bundle. But I just looked and from DC, you can book one for $734 if you go to Haneda which is still a good deal since flights are normally 1,000 - 1,400

Plug in the details you want to google flights and tell it to alert you for fare changes. That way you can keep an eye on the prices.

Good hunting.

>> No.9661863
File: 114 KB, 1024x576, DK5y-WMV4AIPYk9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9661566

Oh and nope, Air Canada was very nice. I enjoyed the trip. AC has a sister service called Air Canada Rouge that seems to be their pleasure airline which is more comfy than usual.
Also everyone was like bilingual and sometimes trilingual. The staff spoke English, French, and Japanese.

I had my own screen interface to watch movies, and the food was good.
Inside North America you had to pay for snacks but it was NBD. The flight from Vancouver to Osaka all meals came in the ticket and they fed us a LOT since it's a long flight.

Had a full hot meal, a snack, drinks, and a hot snack, and more drinks.

I watched movies/TV and napped.

>> No.9661931

>>9661565
Whenever possible, try to book a flight to and from Haneda versus Narita. Simple reason is cause it's a lot closer to the city center, so you save time/money traveling to the airport.

>> No.9662578

>>9661931
There's a study abroad program and they say to come from Narita, but maybe that can be arranged

>> No.9664179

I’m curious if anyone has advice for a Japanese native passing Asian(American) who doesn’t speak any Japanese.
I had a friend to translate the last time I was in Japan, but shop staff and waiters would automatically speak to me in Japanese and I know minimal basic shopping phrases. I’ll be on my own this time, how can I make it less awkward to ask for English?
Also looking for restaurant phrases. All I could do on my own was point at the menu and my friend would speak for me.

>> No.9664195

>>9664179
"Aa chotto gomenasai, wakarimasen. Amerikajin desu."

>> No.9664198

>>9664179
I was working in Japan for a few months and I'm Asian, but my Japanese is limited. At work they made a name badge that had my obviously non-Japanese name printed on it, so I would just wear it everywhere. It was enough to tip people off that I didn't speak Japanese. If you look touristy enough in a larger city, it shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe at least learn how to say "sorry, I don't know Japanese" (sumimasen, nihongo ga wakarimasen) and then do your best pantomime. Also, practicing pantomiming.

>> No.9664235

>>9664179
sumimasen watashi wa Amerikajin desu. Eigo ga wakarimas desu ka? (translation: Sorry I'm American. Do you understand English?)
kore o kudesai (translation: this please)
sumimasen kore wa ikura desu ka? (translation: excuse me how much is this?)
sumimasen kore wa doko desu ka?
(translation: excuse me where is this?)

Here's a link to an audiobook that'll give you a crash course on some simple Japanese phrases. It obviously won't make you fluent, but it'll give you just enough to get by and negotiate travel.
https://mega.nz/#F!HYUxmIJS!WTBlKjYS0NFco7hgiRSrwA

It might be helpful if you had a sheet with some simple/basic phrases written in Japanese, Romanji and English on it. Something you can show a local so that they can read and get the gist of what you're trying to say as well as a quick cheat sheet for yourself to help you get by.

>> No.9664373

>>9664179

As a Chinese, this happens to me too. Just look confused and continue with the tourist gestures. Last time I tried to tell Japanese people I don't speak Japanese in Japanese it caused them to start chattering in Japanese, making me feel even more lost. Later on a Japanese friend told me it's because if I can tell them "sumimasen, nihongo wakarimasen" then most of them think I'm just being self-deprecating and that I do actually understand basic Japanese, which defeats the purpose. So just look lost and confused and don't say anything. They'll figure out you can't speak Japanese and help you out pretty easily.

Restaurants, we made a point of only eating at places that had an English menu. Show the waittress the menu and point at the item you want. For places that don't have English menus, my friend suggesting memorising what you'd like to eat before you go, or you can memorise things like "buta" for pork, "gyuniku" for beef, and then "osusume" for "your recommendation" (if you can understand limited Japanese, this is good as they basically recommend so you can say yes or no to the dish), and "omakase" for "chef's choice" (this means you leave the choice entirely up to the chef, so be ready to eat whatever they serve). Kinda iffy though, and may not work in some places, easier to stick to places that do have English on their menu.

It might be worthwhile to download and print out one of those "Japanese phrases for travellers" on a piece of card and put that in a clear folder. Then whip it out and point to whichever phrase you want to ask. Much easier than memorising a bunch of phrases.

>> No.9664782

>>9659663
OP here, Im in tokyo right now! i knew halloween was popular but fuck they really go all out huh? Even sliced lunch meats in the supermarket have halloween packaging haha

Anyway, im now wondering about buying halloween costumes here, is donki the best/cheapest place? i noticed that 109 had the lots of the same ones but they were like 500-1000 yen more

>> No.9664832
File: 379 KB, 738x548, translate_-_cash_only-width-1023.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9664179

Google Translate App.
Get it.

You can talk to it, type in it, and it will translate pictures as well.

I know a good smattering of Japanese but sometimes I needed something right then so I typed it in English, hit the translate button, and then showed it to whoever was helping me.

It worked every time.

Also the phrase "doko desu ka" (where is?) helped a lot.

I would just say the thing I needed like the the Midōsuji railway and sometimes you don't even need the doko desu ka part. They know you are looking for something and will point you or take you there.

>> No.9664888

>>9664782
If you want more casual costume level check out Donki if you want something more like actual cosplay check this list for second hand stores. I have also found cosplay in some Mandarake locations but don't know how to narrow them down

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=289552

>> No.9664975
File: 953 KB, 3264x1836, 20170930_151922.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9664888
>>9664782

The Mandrake in Umeda had a cosplay section. I took a quick photo while I was there.

>> No.9664976

>>9664975

wtf. why you rotate like that.

>> No.9665226

CVG going in May anon here, I kind of hate myself as I waited one day too long back when I was looking at $1000 flights and it went back up to $1400+ so I just bought a $1200 one after a month of no price drops. In mild venting, so mad that my friends weren't willing to do a midweek flight to try and fly to a bigger city to get that $550 deal last week, they don't want to take more days off, so weekend departure + arrival only, sigh. CVG gets nothing. Watch as it drops to $900 in November though, sigh. At least this flight was my preferred days, fastest trip, to Haneda, and everything I wanted.

At least it's exciting though! We're now looking at Airbnb spots for May 12-20. Are there any places that might otherwise have high reviews that people wouldn't recommend due to a bad experience/host/etc? I'm admittedly completely new at Airbnb, I know there probably aren't too many options this early out, but is $80-150 a night for 8 days fair for 3 people or are there better places I should wait for? We're aiming to stay near Harajuku Station.

Also, didn't even know there was a physical Atelier Boz shop until the convo earlier, so it's located at an upper floor of Marui Annex, is that correct?

>> No.9665489

>>9664888
>>9664975
Yeah i just need something simple like a seifuku or nurse costume so i can twin with friends, ill stick donki! Thank you anons :)

>> No.9665688

>>9665226
Sometimes it can be worth to stay 1 subway stop away from where you plan to be if you can find a better place or are willing to burn 15 mins walking.

I've only ever had to look for 2 person Airbnb places which seems alot easier than 3 people ones.

Also often it can be easier if you look for smaller day segments if you can't find an ideal place for your whole stay, I've moved around inside Tokyo before with 3 different Airbnbs in 1 trip. One near the sky tree, one near Akihabara, and one near Golden Gai.

>> No.9665724

>>9665226
> is $80-150 a night for 8 days fair for 3 people or are there better places I should wait for? We're aiming to stay near Harajuku Station.

Price is reasonable. Also don't get fixated in staying at some touristy locations like Harajuku, Shinjuku, Akihabara, etc. Anywhere that's within a 10-15min walk from one of the stations on the Yamanote line is good. A few things to keep in mind when choosing a accommodation is location, costs, it's accessibility to a subway or train station, and if there are any grocery/convenience stores nearby. Bonus points if it's a Lawsons 100.

In terms of waiting for a accommodation to pop up, I would refrain from waiting as you're visiting during the high season and there's a lot of competition for people looking for a place to stay.

>> No.9666143

I had no idea closet child harajuku closed their goth floor, its just two lolita floors now. Is this a recent thing? I didn't see anything about it online when I was looking a few weeks ago. What are some other second hand lolita stores around harajuku? Any in shibuya or shinjuku? I know lots online but afair i know maiden clothing has a physical store? I wish wunderwelt had a physical store, they always have the best selection of old school/goth stuff, which is what I'm looking for.

>> No.9666327
File: 70 KB, 640x854, 1475436695548.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Any suggestion to buy from clothing thift shops at Tokyo?I plan to get loads of clothing this way because i don't have much money to buy retail or i would get only few items with my budget.
I'm interested to buy girly styles mainly like otome, larme, gyaru etc and brands like Olive des Olive, Fint, Ank Rouge, Ingni, Dazzlin, L'est Rose and many more also offbrand, you know...everything that has pastel, black, red or muted colors with ruffles, lace and such not the most colorful pieces of decora or akamoji.
What are the thift shops that sell this type of items? Or i should check generic thirft shops to find these?

>> No.9666622

>>9665226
As it says on the Boz site and was mentioned in this thread, the shop is near Yoyogi-Hachiman station.

>>9666143
>Harajuku
Usagi Youhinten
>Shibuya
zero
>Shinjuku
Closet Child and Maiden Clothing (though Maiden is more goth/punk/vk)

>>9666327
Closet Child carries fint, axes, and some larme brands. But there isn’t a specific thrift shop... you’ll have to check various places like recycle shMode Off, Treasure Factory, etc, but don’t expect to find a lot

>> No.9666624

>>9665688
>>9665724
Just wanted to say thanks for the advice on Airbnb! It's always so awesome how helpful people on cgl are.

>>9666622
Yeah sorry to have asked for spoonfeeding, I was mostly just confused as other people seemed confused, which made me concerned it was also confusing IRL when you're there. But thanks for the answer regardless!

>> No.9666790

>>9665226
>>9665724
Something to note though, it's worth staying in touristy locations if you're going to be out past the last train.

We stayed in Ueno, and it was near a station and super cheap, but we would have to catch the last train. After that, we stayed in Shinjuku and could get shitfaced all night because it was just a short stumble over to our hotel.

>> No.9667175

>>9665226
i would suggest staying in shibuya or shinjuku for airbnb that way theres always stuff to do or places to eat plus theyre usually a cheapish.

For the two of us we paid $40 a night each in shibuya with free pocket wifi. Two beds, a mini kitchen, washer (that we didnt use) and a toilet and shower (not japanese style, it stunk,and it was impossible to keep something in the tiny toilet area without it getting soaked)

we went to ageha a huge night club with shuttle buses from shibuya and it was really nice coming home at 3-4 am on the shuttle bus and being able to walk 10-15 mins home and pass out.

>> No.9667184

>>9665489
becareful at donki because at least half of the ones in akiba are overpriced bodyline cosplay

>> No.9668169
File: 68 KB, 600x400, NaraDeerShinto.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone have suggestions for destinations to make day trips (with JR rail pass)?

We have an apartment in Tokyo and we are planning to buy JR pass for a week.

Aokigihara (the suicide forest) is in our must-see list just for edgy points, lol.

Nara is another place I'd like to visit because cute deers but train takes six hours. Not sure if it's worth it.

>> No.9668671

>>9668169
How long are you in Japan? Usually people who purchase a JR Rail Pass will use it for the Shinkansen and travel from Tokyo to Osaka or Kyoto and back to make it worthwhile. So I common 2 week itinerary would be something like this:
Day 1-5 Tokyo
Day 6-8 Osaka (Activate JR Rail Pass and travel to Osaka)
Day 9-10 Kyoto
Day 11 Nara or Kobe
Day 12-14 Tokyo (Travel back to Tokyo)

If you plan on buying a JR Rail Pass and only plan on staying in Tokyo doing mostly local transit, than it's just a waste of money desu.

>> No.9668690

Is there a list of theme cafes somewhere that keeps fairly up to date?

Would there be interest in me starting one. Besides address, hours and maybe if reservations needed... what else should be put on it?
I only usually get to go to Japan every two year/year and a half so I would likely need help maintaining it.

>> No.9668696

>>9668690
> Besides address, hours and maybe if reservations needed... what else should be put on it?
Price, does the staff speak English or offer English menus, etc.

>> No.9668735

>>9668696
Wouldn’t price be a bit hard to do? Unless we Listed drink range, entree range and desser price range. Or do you mean if they have spending requirements such as entree and drink and table fee?

>> No.9668743

>>9668735
You could do both, by having people contribute photos of the menu so that they get a sense of the price range along with any additional fees such as entrance fee, sit down, etc.

>> No.9669103

>>9666622
Thank you anon!I made a research about these recycle shops that aren't CC or other similar, I saw on some youtube japan trip videos you can find some gyaru or frilly items as I like sorta often if you are lucky especially at Mode off and Kinji.

>> No.9669201

>>9668690

Link to their website, if they have one.

You're not actually going to be able to avoid this anyway, iirc Swallowtail and two Squire Enix cafes need to be booked via their website. I think the Good Smile cafe as well.

As a bonus, the websites will also have their menu on it, although my experience is that Artnia's online menu doesn't seem to include their seasonal specials... maybe that one is decided by their chef on the fly.

If you're running this off a site, put an obvious link so that other people can send in submissions or whatever. If you can also find the time to include other people's reviews (or your own), that's pretty good too. I kind of want to suggest a link to tablelog, which would be the easiest way to link to reviews, but honestly you might get a lot of dumb questions from people who don't read Japanese and somehow expect you to help them out on that.

>> No.9669209

>>9668671
My plan is stay in Tokyo two weeks. Another week to see Tokyo's attractions and another to make day trips. Leaving Tokyo in morning and coming back for night to our apartment.
Does it sound ridiculous?

>> No.9669297

>>9666622
Tried to look for maiden clothing today, the building listed is an apartment block? No signs outside (i know some stores here are in apartments) group of girls waiting nearby for a VK band signing had never heard it of or the record store guy. Think it might of closed down

>> No.9669332

>>9669297
Last time I was there it was inside the recors store

>> No.9669375

About to head to Japan and several of my friends and colleagues have requested Japanese "weird" Kit Kats. Where the best place to stock up? Duty Free shops? Donki?

>> No.9669409

>>9669375
Donki.

>> No.9669425

>>9669332
Found it in the end! Wrong address on google (must of moved ig), its two streets away. I took pictures of the outside ill add them to the google info soon

>> No.9669642

>>9633523
Sorry to tag onto your post, but if we're talking about unagi, another great place to go is a little restaurant in Edogawa called Hashimoto. It requires a reservation, and all they serve is eel, but it's a family run business and they've been doing the same thing for YEARS and it really shows. One of the best meals I had in Japan.

>> No.9669706

>>9669375
>"weird" Kit Kats. Where the best place to stock up? Duty Free shops? Donki?

I got a couple flavors at my local 7-11 in Osaka and kept an eye out in other stores. I ended up buying nearly all of them at the shops on the way out in the airport. They had a better selection and big boxes as well as the smaller normal boxes.

That's my picture in >>9658899

The cran-almond was the only one I got in a regular store.

>> No.9669712

>>9664235
>Eigo ga wakarimas desu ka?
The desu is wrong here.

>> No.9669866

>>9669209
It's doable, but you should figure out your itinerary first and check the costs of the trip through hyperdia to see if getting a JR Rail Pass is worthwhile or not? For example, traveling from Tokyo to Yokohoma takes about an hour each way and only $7 per trip. Spending $250 USD for a JR Rail Pass may not be worthwhile in your instance.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

>> No.9673211

Stupid question but I'm not able to find an answer on google: does anybody know if there are other stores besides marui annex that carry queen bee shoes?

>> No.9673234

>>9669375

>> If youre able to go to a supermarket especially outside of the city they are usually cheaper than donki especially if you can find the bag of green tea or limited time flavor kitkats. regional or boxed kitkats of special flavors are the same price at convience stores and omiyage stores such as the ones at tokyo station or in sky tree mall. Not sure how much more expensive the airport ones are, if at all... but as a last minute thing i would also check there.

>> No.9673288

>>9669866
this.

I've bought the JR pass a few times and while we used it a decent amount in tokyo, it was mainly for going to kyoto/osaka area.

If you're dead set on getting one and making it worth your money you can do day trips, but plan to leave early for lots of travel time. We did a day in Niigata, that helped justify the pricing for our stay in tokyo, but like mentioned before, got more for our money by spending a few days to go out to kyoto, osaka, nara, himeji, and kyuushu

>> No.9673444

>>9669375
Not exactly weird or unusual, but if you're interested in something different you can also check out the Kit Kat Chocolatory located in Ikebukuro. They don't really sell unusual flavour but more high end or gourmet kit kats that you won't find elsewhere, like Dark Chocolate Kit Kats made with really good quality chocolate, or expensive matcha, etc.

https://en.japantravel.com/tokyo/kitkat-chocolatory-in-tokyo/8674

>> No.9673950

Native passing Asian again, thanks for the previous tips!
So I saw an idea where people with dietary allergies going to japan would print little cards to give to waiters, explaining their restrictions in Japanese. I’m thinking of making a little sign or pin that says something like “English please” or “I don’t speak Japanese” to point to when I don’t understand. I’m afraid if I had one that says “American” it could make me a target for tourist scams though. But how does that idea sound? Would it be rude?

>> No.9674120
File: 671 KB, 1440x2560, 17-10-30-21-52-42-836_deco.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My parents are going to japan and they asked if I want them to get me anything

>> No.9674687

I'm finally in Japan since sunday and don't really know what to make of it.
I wanted to do so muh lolita shopping, but all the brand stores aren't really giving me 'buy this now' vibes. I end up thinking 'hm that's kinda expensive' and closet child has good things in the wrong cuts or colors..

>> No.9674743

>>9673950
I don't think it would be rude, but I would suggest doing it as a card instead of a pin, because you may still be subject to tourist scams if it's something as easily visible as a pin.

>> No.9674864

>>9673950
You’ll look like an autist. Just say “no Japanese” when somebody tries to talk to you

>> No.9674931

I don't know why people say Nakano is better than Akiba. Nakano is fun but unless you are looking for really old, rare, expensive things Akiba is more fun and has plenty of stores to dig through for good finds.

>> No.9674939

>>9674931
People are hipsters. Personally, for me it was ikebukuro > akiba > nakano.

>> No.9675026
File: 84 KB, 580x773, 10636008_955051811188813_8308144328758764469_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9627668
Just spent a week in Japan hitting all major stops - Tokyo, Kyoto, Fujiyama, Osaka. Do make time to wander around Gion-Shijo at night. Everything is shut up during the day, it's a very different place at night. Layer up for wind resistance and walk the distance.

The Fushimi Inari is now a top attraction, unless your group has a lot of stamina you probably won't be reaching the top of the shrine where the foxes live, t b h there are so many tourists I don't believe they come out anymore.

>> No.9675127

>>9673950
that seems really dumb

>> No.9675171

>>9674931
>>9674939
I liked Ikebukuro>Nakano>Akiba. It just depends on what stuff you're into.

>> No.9675599

>>9673950
Why not learn some Japanese?

>> No.9675602

i dont know any names, but maxmoefoe has a series of his trip to japan, and they had all these rad stores there. You might check out those vlogs for inspiration

>> No.9676479
File: 867 KB, 3264x1836, 20171003_191643.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9675026

>>9627668 here

Funny you should say that. I'm back too. I went three weeks ago. I really wanted to hit up Gion or Pontocho to soak up some historical geiko district and maybe for the off chance of seeing a geisha or maiko. But I just didn't have the time.
I had to switch around some of my itinerary to spend a different day in Kyoto than I planned because the Sailor Moon cafe stopped taking reservations 3 days out from when you planned to stop by. So I had to spend Sunday in Osaka instead of Kyoto and geisha only come out during the weekends these days. So I missed that chance.

Instead I hit up Arashiyama, Kinkakuji, and Fushimi Inari. I didn't make it to the top but I did make it to the nice Kyoto view. I went late (around 6PM) since it's 24hours and it wasn't crowded. I even ran into some fellow gaijin I saw the day before in Dotonbori.

>> No.9676599

I never traveled abroad on my own and I really want to go to Japan someday but I feel like I have a hard time finding useful info. I mostly want to eat Japanese food there in restaurants and themed cafés and go shopping for weeb merchandises and maybe books but I think I found enough info for this thanks to a bunch of websites and this thread.
>What are the cheapest hotels in Tokyo? I've been recommended to use airbnb but I'm not sure I can do that on a first trip, since I'm not sure it's safe yet.
>How does public transport works in Tokyo? I know the cost of a JR pass but I don't know how much it costs to use the subway in Tokyo and which lines are the most useful. I heard there are different companies within the city so it's a bit complicated
>If I get a JR pass to visit several cities, how does it work for hotels/airbnb? Do I have to book for several of them (each for different dates and cities) in advance or not?
>When is it the best to come to Japan in terms of prices and events/festivals?
>What are the best plane tickets prices from France to Japan you guys have seen?
>What are the best ways to meet Japanese people and speak Japanese? I want to practice speaking in Japanese while I'm there.
>At least in Tokyo, are there things to do or visit at night? Besides bars I mean.

>> No.9676710
File: 444 KB, 1024x684, Osaka_Districts-XL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9676599

Whew so many questions. I too had never left the country on my own and I just did it and fared just fine! I feared I wouldn't make sound decisions on my own but signs were available, 7-11 ATMs use english, most train ticket hubs use english, lots of staff can speak english, there is the google translate app, and people are SUPER helpful.

a plain "________ doko desu ka?" solved so many of my questions.

-Airbnb is safe and saves you some serious money. It's even safer in big cities.

-Trains....trains everywhere and walking. Best bet is to plan out what you think you want to do and then figure out where most of them are grouped and plot your accommodations to stay in the middle of them. Most cost I have seen are in the 120-400 yen range for short trips. JR pass is good for going from city to city. So again you need to compare where you think you want to go. A Suica card is also useful so you can just load up money on a card instead of having to stop to buy a ticket each time.

- If you decide to go somewhere far like Osaka or Hiroshima then you will have to get a room for the night in the city you are traveling to. The trains are fast but they are not portals. It will take a few hours to reach far away cities. You don't want to spend 3 hours on a train, be in the city for 6-7 hours and then spend 3 more hours on a train back. That is wasting to much time on the train. Stay there overnight at least, go see more stuff, and then return. I recommend at least 2 days for Osaka and 2 days for Kyoto.

>> No.9676719
File: 65 KB, 880x585, i-got-lost-in-the-beauty-of-tokyo-at-night-6__880.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9676599
>>9676710

continued:

- Prices go up in spring because of sakura season. Summer and fall have a lot of festivals. Halloween in akihabara is said to be fun. It's fucking cold in winter so unless you like snow or lack of central heating in some places, I'd say skip winter.

- Sign up for Scott's cheap flights and Google flight alerts. Scott's will have a Tokyo special probably every 3-5 months. Go on google flights and plug in the airports you wish to travel to and from and then tell it to save it and alert you when prices go up or down. You can scope out some good deals that way. Even on the calendar it will tell you the prices as you search.

- Get your phrases ready. There are plenty of opportunities to speak when you look for something, buy anything, get lost. I was meek about speaking the first 2 days I was there but then I realized the Japanese love it when people make the effort. Plus it's not like I would ever see these people again. Anytime I spoke people were genuinely pleased I could say anything to them. I got to ask where someone lived, how to get places, if there was takoyaki nearby, what time it is, and tell people if I understood or not.

- I think so...but I'm not well versed on nightlife in Tokyo. I know places like Don Quixote never close though. So 24hr bargain shopping. Airbnb has personal experience tours on it too. Bet you can find someone offering Tokyo fun times after sundown: places like fish markets, arcades, and such...

>> No.9677361

>>9676719
Fish markets open very early in the morning, they’re really not a night activity

>> No.9678180

Is it better to go Japan in summer or winter?
I've already been twice in winter and I was wondering if I should go in July next year. One thing I'm comcerned about is the humidity and getting tanned.

>> No.9678199

surprised no one has mentioned this, but if you're wanting to stay in just tokyo but plan on moving around the city a lot you can buy discount tickets for the trains

http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/index.html

I've gotten the 24 hour pass, but they offer up to 72 hour ones with different combos for subway and trains so you can get to where you need to go. If you're into sightseeing I think they still have a bundle for 2 24 hour tickets and a museum admission ticket

>> No.9678482

>>9678180
It's very hot and humid. Everyone uses parasols, so you can just buy one at the conbini and you won't have to worry about tanning too much. If you're not sure about the summer heat, I'd recommend trying to go for spring instead.

>> No.9679359

>>9678180
I went at the end of August and it wasn't bad.

>> No.9679838
File: 306 KB, 2292x826, east 4-5-6.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone else going to comiket 93?
The table listings went up yesterday on the web catalog.

Is it worth going to the corporate booth section or will everything sell out super quick? Most of the stuff I want to see in the halls is on the second day, but my friends want to look around on the third day, so I thought I might look at the corporate area while they do that.

>> No.9680090

>>9679838
corporate booths always bring a ton of stuff so they don't sell out fast

>> No.9680987

>>9676599
1. airbnb is safe as shit, most of the time you will never even interact with the host since it's Japan and they hate doing that. Tokyo is one of the safest cities in the world anyway.
2. get a PASMO/SUICA and load it up with money, you tap it on the ticket gate and then tap when you get out. it automatically deducts the fare. if you stick to JR lines it's really cheap (like 200 yen for the longest trip on the yamanote).
3. yes, that is how hotels have and always have worked, though airbnb is more flexible. I've booked them hours before arrival.

>> No.9681168

>>9679838
Hopefully, I'll most likely be studying abroad during that time.

>> No.9681270

>>9680987
Get a Suica. it's more universal then pasmo.

>> No.9681925

>>9674687
keep checking back at harajuku CC. I felt that a lot but ended up finding a higher priorty dress on my list on our last day. (it was like 4th prefered cut/color combo but i was super happy with the price...)
Try checking as many CC as you can. I found Yokohama had the best selection for padding my wardrobe.

>> No.9681937

>>9678180
Moved to Japan back in May, honestly this past summer was brutal humidity-wise and I just PCS'd from Guam. I felt like it was more humid than a tropical climate and it was hot.

Like another anon said, try going during the spring time when it starts to warm up. Autumn is a bit cooler but it's also the rainy season. Tomorrow's supposed to be 72 degrees F.

>> No.9681944

>>9676599
>Like everyone said use Airbnb, the few ive stayed in also started hosting their own tours and experiences and sometimes are travel agency owned. It felt safer to me because no one bothered our stuff, we could leave our crap spread about while we organized stuff and we had our own mini kitchen, washer and bathroom. The only downside for us was it wasnt clear where we put our full trash because we stayed two weeks, we had some issues with drain stink. We also HAD to sort our trash but being from germany its pretty similar but i know its very diff from americans who dont even recycle cans and bottles.
>Price wise, i felt Airbnb was a bit cheaper normally paying about $40 a night per person with free pocket/travel wifi. Hotels depending on location can be about $80-110 a night cheapest for 1-2 people with just two beds and a desk and bathroom. Ive ended up in tiny rooms that you can bearly roll your suitcase between the beds or from the door to the oposite wall because of the space between the desk/tv area and foot of the bed.
>for an actual hotel suggestion i only remember "pearl hotel Ryogoku" being pretty good with a nice buffet although i did it with a school tour group. The cost according to google is 40-70 euros.
I would suggest using google to search the hotel once you find a hotel on booking you might like because sometimes they find cheaper wesbites to buy it from. I do it for flights all the time. Flights from Frankfurt are usually about 700 euros. Ive found flights for about 500 and on deal websites like urlaubpiraten i believe ive seen it get as low as about 350 or so.
>youll need to book hotels for each city and date you go to but youll likely be able to find same day hotels for more but they make websites to find them cheap last minute.
>best prices are probably when there arent events and festivals. Most expensive is probably going to be around march and golden week

>> No.9681949

>>9676599
cont.
>japanese students usually have the whole month of march off so they often travel too. Summer is hot and humid but also when a lot of people visit because people often take vacations in the summer. I think winter, november, mid-end may and february are probably the cheaper months. Halloween in shibuya is something to see but tokyo disney is mayhem the last week-week and a half before halloween.
>youll get plenty of chances to use japanese while there there im sure. Going out at night will also increase those odds. Besides bars i woudl suggest isakaya and doing nomihoudai/all you can drink as an experience. Seeing drunk, loud, crazy japanese people can be an experience. But it gets old fast so after your 2 hours of all you can drink youre usually pretty done with it.
Shibuya crossing at night for sure. Shibuya stays open a bit later especially for karaoke and some arcades. I would wait to do some of those things until after other things are closed. Thats when you can stay and play games/do purikura imo.

>> No.9683641

Not sure if related enough, but last time I went to Japan I walked for miles and miles every day and absolutely killed my feet. I ended up buying a pair of adidas running shoes and they were the only thing I wore for the rest of the trip, but they do not go with the stuff I want to wear in Japan at all (mainly cute feminine stuff, skirts tights etc). What are some shoes I can walk multiple miles in comfortably that are still cute/acceptable? How do other people do it?

>> No.9683663

>>9681949
>>9683641
Understand that cute jfash isn't really meant for 20k steps a day and save it for more chill travel days and cute places?

>> No.9683905

>>9683641
I wore sandals (not flip flops) when walking ~15k steps everyday, they matched with my lizlisa / pastel. Insoles also helped a lot, also massaging your feet at the end of the day if you could!

>> No.9683909

>>9683641

I do casual AP cutsew onepieces with -- dun dun dun! actual running shoes. Usually in all-black, the all-black running shoes are harder to find but not near-impossible.

I've thought about doing pastels, all I would need are all-white running shoes, but I haven't found them yet.

I feel like this would be much harder in summer as I'd have to deal with wearing socks in summer, though I try to avoid Japan in summer as I hear the humidity is something awful.

>> No.9685033

going to japan in two weeks... I live in a fairly warm climate and don't even have a winter coat what should I get?

>> No.9685047

>>9685033
a winter coat

>> No.9686629

>>9685033
What part of japan? Hokkaido? Honshu? Okinawa?
Cause the climate is going to vary depending on which island you are going to.

Hokkaido and Honshu:
Long sleeve t shirts, a couple mid weight sweaters, winter coat, long socks, muffler/scarf

By contrast Okinawa is still quite warm in the high 70F

>> No.9686690

May-anon here again. (I figured it'd be easy to figure out it's be from my question context.) So I've decided to start looking into a hotel or Airbnb to book for our two day stay in Kyoto. I was leaning towards hotels initially as I was sure they'd be cheaper than an Airbnb for such short term, but it looks like that's not the case? My friends are super shy and don't want to do a hostel/ryokan much to my disappointment, and I'm guessing based on what I see that in Kyoto it's either small family business hostels or 2-3 star hotels that are the same cost as getting an Airbnb entire Japanese house for a day. Am I not looking hard enough/in the right places or is this a correct assumption to make?

Not that I mind, the idea of getting in the authentic Japanese house experience outside our Tokyo apartment sounds great and I'm trying to convince my friends to go for it since they're not willing to do a hostel.

>> No.9686693

>>9686629
kyoto, & tokyo. I have no long sleeved shirts, no pants.. and i dont want to go out of my way to get anything outside of the bare necessities

>> No.9686709
File: 176 KB, 860x600, 6bade1df178dab6c37b3450adebec5a9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9686690
Highly reccomend Airbnb as you can get the japanese home experiences inexpensively and sometimes they come with a portable wifi you can carry with you.

The only thing I would emphasize is that a ryokan is pretty much the only place where you might be able to get to experience a public bath in private. Ryokans allow guests to reserve time slots to use the bath. Otherwise some homes have reasonably sizes baths with the same style. Kyoto tends to have more space value than Tokyo

>> No.9686797

>>9686693

Well then you will suffer because you need to get those things. Proper clothing is a bare necessity along with food and shelter.

it will be as chilly as 46F/8C some days.

>> No.9687131

Can anyone share their input on pocket wifi or data sim cards? I will be in Japan for 10 days in a few months and am looking at my options now. I will be splitting with my travel partner only for 1 or 2 days in Tokyo during the day

Thanks in advance!

>> No.9687171

>>9687131
My friend has ordered a pocket wifi for the days that we're there, but I'm just worried about the 2 days that we'll be apart. Is it easy to find free wifi in Harajuku or Tokyo in general?

>> No.9687185
File: 2.85 MB, 445x247, 1489953862213.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9686797
>46F is cold for some people

>> No.9687230

>>9686693
Well you may be better off going to uniqlo when you get there and getting an appropriate jacket/warm clothes, but you'll need them this time of year

>> No.9687601

>>9687131
>>9687171
If money is not an issue, you should both just get the pocket wi-fi or sim card. The big train stations often have wi-fi but it's not always reliable. It's possible to get around without, but it's way easier with. If you decide to go without wi-fi, I recommend planning out your entire day before heading out and taking screenshots of the all the directions you'll need so you won't be relying on finding wi-fi to figure out what trains you need to take.

>> No.9688065
File: 1.57 MB, 500x265, whyghibli.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

U-um I just had a horrifying realization. I've known for a while now that you purchase Ghibli Museum tickets months in advance. In looking at the JTB website finally I notice how they say the museum closed for most of May in 2016. In panic, as we were hoping to go there May 18 (we'll be in Tokyo 14-15, 18-19), I looked around. This year they also closed mid May. And I just noticed...their current exhibition ends in some vague May period, after which I imagine they close for a while. Looks like it's fairly consistently the days we chose to go, fuck. Are we screwed? When do they announce their closing period? Why didn't I figure this out long before I bought our flights, I'm so pissed off at myself...

>> No.9688102

>>9687171

Don't, or at least, I definitely do not recommend. I did this once as well, even marked out the Lawson's in the areas we were visiting and printed a few maps. Thought it would be an easy matter of locating the closest blue sign and standing outside it using their wifi to message my friends/use google maps.

But when you're offline it's gonna be hard to find out where you are, Tokyo is pretty densely packed and kinda confusing. And standing outside Lawson's the wifi was pretty spotty anyhow. Plus all the free wifis listen in on you and possibly store your conversations/passwords/whatever passes through their wifi, it was a ruckus a few years back (and then users went back to not caring, because most Japanese people had a data plan anyhow and don't use free wifi).

I could see it working out if you were a relic from the 90s -- have paper maps, printed directions, speak a little basic Japanese (enough to ask "where is ___?"), a very simple plan (eg- "Nakano Broadway for the whole day", so once you get there you don't need to go anywhere else), that kind of thing. If this isn't you though, better off getting another pocket-fi or sim card for those two extra days.

>> No.9688144

>>9683641
Deco some uggs or similar flat normie shoe. I also wore bodyline shoes with insoles walking 12km and they survived.

>> No.9688160

>>9683641
Deco some uggs or similar flat normie shoe. I also wore bodyline shoes with insoles walking 12km and they survived.

>>9686693
You're going to suffer, m8. At least pick up some heat tech stuff at your local uniqlo before you go, and layer up. If you're used to warm climates, you won't even be able to walk to the nearest outlet in Japan

>> No.9688213

>>9683641
We suffer for fashion.
But my trips are usually 9-10 days max (walking about 10mi or so every day according to my phone). My feet hate me after but there's no way I'd trade in my 4" heels for sneakers.

>> No.9688223

>>9688065
The schedule for May should be available by February at the latest, since that's when you can start buying tickets for that month.

>> No.9688258
File: 45 KB, 410x391, 1504794108239.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do you all deal with after-japan depression? Like, coming back and missing it so much already, but you don't know when you'll be able to come back.

>> No.9688266

>>9688258
Chug conbini booze and bury yourself in nesoberi waifus

>> No.9688273
File: 87 KB, 500x500, NEOGDS-253706.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9688266
I wish this would help. I need to get some Pocky real fast.

>> No.9690819

>>9668735
>>9668690
this would be incredibly useful if you were to make that, anon

>> No.9690876

>>9635665
lol, is he retarded? He knows it's not some random hillock, right? He knows it's going to be cold as balls, freezing, right? I hope he knows people have died on Mt. Fuji, and I hope he's familiar with the concept of altitude sickness. It's not something you just go and do, as if it's hiking around fucking Fushimi Inari, when you're suffering from jetlag, and certainly not smackass in winter, when it's as the anon says, not even legal to go up there.

>>9637202
Just remember that the flight from Osaka will arrive at a different terminal than the one leaving for LAX, but there's free shuttle busses between terminals and it doesn't take that much time.

>>9638279
I'm sure you're the first foreigner who ever had this idea, go for it! You'll be an overnight hit.

>>9641648
Agree that the food in themed cafes is overpriced and tastes like ass. If you want to eat on the cheap, famiresu (family restaurants) are much better. There's also a bunch of all you can eat buffet things on the top floors of department stores, slightly more expensive, but also so much better quality.

>>9653047
You're better off selling that stuff to someone in your own country. Dragging it all the way to Japan and the most CC will give you is not even enough to buy a pair of socks there.

>>9634424
I guess someone is bitter she didn't find any clothes she fit in. And the men aren't all bishies, tragic deception.

>>9673950
>tourist scams
They are almost non existent. People don't even accept tips here, most would rather die than actively scam someone.

>> No.9690884

>>9635665
Mt. Fuji is closed at that time.
The mountains are only open for climbing June/July-September.

>> No.9690885

>>9681937
True, if you're going to walk a lot, you really have to avoid summer. If you're planning on being out and about for hours you're nearly guaranteed heat stroke. Also remember that it doesn't get cooler at night, in July and August, it's still hot as the devil's asshole in the middle of the night. Prepare for the biggest bugs you've ever laid eyes on. Roaches are huge, and if you're anywhere near the country, always carry a lighter or some matches, because if the giant poisonous centipedes bite, they will not let go until you hold a flame to them, you literally have to kill them with fire (and go to a hospital). The hornets are larger than small birds and no joke either, and kill up to forty people a year (for reference, about 0.06 people are killed by a gun every year). Make sure you have traveller's health insurance.

>>9683641
Clarks. I routinely run around for ten to sixteen hours in them. I've shown friends around in Kyoto in my office work clothes and forgot that they're not used to walking everywhere even though they all showed up in hiking gear. One guy's knees gave out after I'd shown them around five temples and shrines and we had to send him back to his hotel in a taxi. That's another thing: shoes are important, but sightseeing the whole day is murder anyway if you're not used to walking a lot. If you routinely drive and think walking a few miles is far, you're not going to like Japan. Everything is close by and public transport is great, but walking between and in stations, up and down stairs, adds up fast.

You'll want to avoid Lolita fashion as a tourist from the middle of June until the middle of September, or all your frills will be soaked in sweat.

>>9685033
Go to Uniqlo as soon as you arrive, unless you're really big, then buy something before you get here.

>> No.9690922

how much time in advance should I book the hotels? I'm planning to go to Japan oktober 2018. Should I already start booking?

Is people watching in the parks worth it?

>> No.9690925

>>9690922
No. It's not like Japan is literally swarming with tourists. October is off season, anyways.

As for people watching in the parks, it depends on the park and day. Yoyogi is still pretty popping on the weekends if you want to see cool shit; they had a dog event there a while back that was really cool, too.
In a lot of the parks, you'll just see old people and other normal people about their day.

>> No.9690987

Is there anything note worthy to do/visit in osaka? Which lolita brands have a shop there? Would it be a waste of a trip to go to japan and not visit tokyo?

>> No.9690998

>>9690987
Osaka has all the Lolita shops in American Village / Amemura. I wouldn't call it a waste but maybe plan out some trips to neighboring cities like Kobe as well.

To be honest being in Tokyo is very overwhelming since it's crowded all the time. Osaka is a bit more laid-back.

>> No.9691003

>>9690987
Osaka has AP/Baby/etc. brand shops as well as a CC, Maiden Clothing, Near, and Mandrake secondhand shops (others, too, I'm sure). There's a lot of normal/j fashion shopping to be done in Osaka, too.
I personally prefer Osaka for chill times and good eating. I think you should go to Tokyo if you have the chance, but if you don't, you can easily have a fun and satisfying trip within the kinki/kansai region.
I like staying in Osaka and doing 1-2 day long trips to Kobe, Nara, and Kyoto.
As for things to do, what are your interests?
I think Kansai is better for a more rounded Japan experience; Tokyo is better if you want the standard weeaboo/"wacky Japan" experience.

>> No.9691006

Maybe a weird question but anyway, Im going to tokyo for the first time in my life soon and I have a bladder the size of a peanut. How easy it is to find a public toilet in tokyo? Are there usually toilets at cafes etc and are they free or only for customers? What about parks and shrines and stuff, do they have toilets? I literally need to pee once an hour and Im feeling a little worried about that.

>> No.9691014

>>9691006
Parks usually have bathrooms, but you'll want to keep TP/kleenex handy as many don't have it. Also, keep a small hand towel with you.
Don't walk into a cafe to use the bathroom; they're for customers, so just find a conbini instead. Many have little restrooms.
Train stations will have bathrooms, too, as will malls/department stores, like in most countries.

>> No.9691146

>>9690922
more than 3 months. I'm going in November and we booked 3 months in advance only to find difficulty

>> No.9691348
File: 904 KB, 500x532, 1499531424612.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

my school is on strike and may make the school year go into may. im panicking right now as I wanted to book this so long ago but it's still 5 weeks into the strike and I dont want to book something I'm not sure I'll be able to attend.
I wanted to go the first week of May but I'll have to push it back I suppose, but no students even know when the last day of fall + winter semester ends.
Am I screwed if I book shit in late Dec/early Jan/feb for may? That seems way too late but I can't even make commitments at the moment unless the school year is cancelled. I wanted to go for highschool graduation but it's already been two years since I had to save up and it would kill me to wait a third.

Any advice gulls?

>> No.9691436

>>9691348
What uni?

>> No.9691557

>>9688258
>How do you all deal with after-japan depression? Like, coming back and missing it so much already, but you don't know when you'll be able to come back.
I know that feel all too well. I generally try to keep busy and do something constructive to keep myself focused and ready for my next trip. Like I'm studying Japanese and doing a Ikebana (Japanese flower arrangement) class. Sometimes when I feel nostalgic, I'll look over old photos and listen to this song. I really feel it pitch and tone captures my bittersweet emotions regarding Japan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfpX8lkaSdk

>>9690987
>Is there anything note worthy to do/visit in osaka? Which lolita brands have a shop there? Would it be a waste of a trip to go to japan and not visit tokyo?
There are tons of things to check out in Osaka, it really depends on what your interests are and how long you're staying desu. If you can provide some more info, we can filter our responses to better match your needs.

>>9691348
>Am I screwed if I book shit in late Dec/early Jan/feb for may?
Yes and no. You're fine with flights, but you're probably not going to catch any deals. You're planning on heading over during the busy season too, so expect round trip flights to be in the $1500-1800 range. Accommodations are a bit trickier desu. You'll definitely be able to find a place to stay, whether it be Ryokan, Hostel, Capsule Hotel, Airbnb, etc but all the best locations will likely be fully booked.

Personally I wouldn't stress out too much over this and just try to put your energy towards something meaningful and have control over. Like planning your itinerary, studying and practicing Japanese phrases, working and saving money for your trip, etc.

>> No.9692227

How to get those fancy tickets to Laforet which let you inside hour or half before everyone else on the 1st day of January?

>> No.9692319

Can anyone tell me what the weather is like the last 2 weeks of November? I'm leaving on the 19th, and I'll be heading to Niigata and Tokyo.

I've checked the temperatures from last year and currently, but I wondering how different it will be? I'm from Alberta, Canada and it is VERY dry and cold here. I retrain no body heat so I'm always cold, so I don't know if I should be bringing my big ass winter boots or not lol

>> No.9692345

>>9636120
I think my mom found my flight on Flight Hub, it was an insane sale: $650 USD round trip from Alberta, Canada to Tokyo??? My mother is a wizard I swear.

But she just signed up for sites and stalked them for me. Signing up for emails helps, and double checking on a different computer since they like to track your searches. Sometimes it'll be cheaper or more expensive on a different pc.

>> No.9692348

>>9692345
I forgot to mention is I went in May as well, just last year! We arrived in the middle of Golden Week (May 3rd?) and left on the 25th!

>> No.9692371

>>9674687
If you're still there, I personally had the best luck at the CC in Ikebukuro, or the one I randomly found in Osaka (I think it was by the American Mall???) The Harajuku one was... sad compared to the stuff I found at the others, haha.

>> No.9692387

>>9692371
Harajuku gets cleaned out pretty regularly since it's in a touristy area. I've found great stuff there but you have to go often.

>> No.9692476

>>9692319
I'm also from Canada (Toronto), and the weather in Japan is very mild. Their winter is closer to our fall desu. When I was there in late November to December a couple of years ago, I was fine with a t-shirt and jacket most days. You're probably better off with something more comfortable like sneakers or running shoes if you plan on doing a lot of walking.

>> No.9692487

>>9690987
Osaka has all the major lolita brands, as well as the Victorian Maiden pressroom (their only shop). There's a Closet Child, Maiden Clothing, and a small secondhand shop called Near. Royal Princess Alice is also opening their shop/photo studio in Osaka next week.
It's also very easy to take day trips to Kyoto, Kobe, and Nara from Osaka, so if you want to go to multiple cities, I think Kansai is more worthwhile than Tokyo.

I live in the area, so feel free to ask more about it.

>> No.9692628

>>9676599
AirFrance is by far the cheapest for Europeans. I've got a flight booked for £430 from London to Tokyo via Paris.

>> No.9693292
File: 163 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

For those looking into a Rail pass it's a good idea to calculate where you plan to go and compare prices to see if it's worth getting one.

That can be a bit overwehlming so there is a site that estimates it for you and then tells you if it is worth it based on where you want to go...

https://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/

>> No.9693971
File: 208 KB, 1168x825, kimonohimeh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Looking for kimono shop recommendations

Currently in Tokyo around the asakusa district and specifically looking for more trendy/current kimono pic related

Also low key invite if anyone is around and wanted to hang out

>> No.9693979

>>9625733
Ikebukuro's Otome Road. They have maps, etc.

>> No.9694476

I'm interested to hear people's experience of wearing Lolita while traveling in Japan. I want to do it to visit cute cafes and things while I'm there but I'm nervous.

>> No.9695032

>>9694476
It feels more relaxed than wearing it in the states. I wouldn't worry. You will stand out already as a foreigner so why not put on a frilly dress too.

>> No.9699010

I'm guessing the thread won't bump up anymore, but I'm trying anyway:
>>9640828
I know I'm (very) late for the party, but I was wondering if you're still around. Looking for some non-seafood recommendation for Tokyo, end of March/beginning of April.
I'm allergic to seafood, and avoid fish and other sea products. On my last trip, I ate pork and chicken mostly, some shabu-shabu and sukiyaki, but I'm always looking for something new to try.

>> No.9699014 [DELETED] 

>>9699010
It did!
might as well ask - last time I had a month, it was fall and I spent 10 days in Tokyo, 3 in Hiroshoma, 5 in Kyoto, 3 in Osaka, 2 in Nara, 1 in Yokohama. So this will be my second time in Japan, but my husband's first. I fell like I've already done most of the "touristy" things, but I still want to show him everything worthwhile (as well as eat well as last time my budget was tiny, now I have money and my foodie husband with me).
Also - this time I only have 2 weeks. I'm thinking 1 week in Tokyo, 1 in Kyoto/Osaka/Nagoya/Kobe etc. I didn't find Osaka as interesting last time and was thinking of 3 days in Kyoto, 2 in Osaka, 2 in Kobe or anything else that may be worth it. Any recommendations from the experts?

>> No.9699016

>>9699010
It did!
might as well ask - last time I had a month, it was fall and I spent 10 days in Tokyo, 3 in Hiroshoma, 5 in Kyoto, 3 in Osaka, 2 in Nara, 1 in Yokohama. So this will be my second time in Japan, but my husband's first. I feel like I've already done most of the "touristy" things, but I still want to show him everything worthwhile (as well as eat well as last time my budget was tiny, now I have money and my foodie husband with me), plus, it's sakura season and everything is different.
However, this time I only have 2 weeks. I'm thinking 1 week in Tokyo, 1 in Kyoto/Osaka/Nagoya/Kobe etc. I didn't find Osaka as interesting last time and was thinking of 3 days in Kyoto, 2 in Osaka, 2 in Kobe or anything else that may be worth it. Any recommendations from the experts?

>> No.9699354

>>9699010
You got lucky, I'm just getting ready to head back to Japan and saw this thread.

You didn't really specify anything, so I'll just throw out some recommendations.

Tonkatsu
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2014/04/15/food/butagumi-dining-quality-tonkatsu-pork-cutlets-to-eat-and-go/#.WhJWZVWnGUk

Yakitori
https://matcha-jp.com/en/1192
^ funny enough this restaurant is located almost directly across of Sukiyabashi Jiro from Jiro Dreams of Sushi.

French pastry/bakery
http://www.robuchon.jp/laboutique-en
^ there's a few branches, and they offer some of the most exquisite pastries, baked goods and breads I've ever had in my life. The price of their goods reflect that, but their well worth it imho.

Since you're visiting Tokyo, you should also check out Yokohoma's Chinatown. It's the largest Chinatown in Japan and the street vendors sell some terrific dumplings and meat buns!

>> No.9699400

Just moved away from Tokyo after living there a number of years.

For cafes, DEFINITELY check out the Milky Way Cafe in Ikebukuro if you like parfaits. They have huge ass zodiac themed parfaits for about 800 yen a pop. Worth a visit. When you exit Ikebukuro station from the east exit, you can see it on the right hand side of Sunshine Street, right next to the Sanrio Gift Gate Shop.
https://en.japantravel.com/tokyo/milky-way-cafe-ikebukuro-tokyo/13021

Don't forget to check out Nakano Broadway for nerdy stuff (you might find that Akihabara is overrated, smells like BO, and is overpriced)
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3069.html

If you're looking for video games, don't forget to check out chain stores like GEO (you can pick up used games for super low prices almost anywhere, very good place to buy PSP/Vita stuff).

If you like figures and collectibles, I'd recommend Otome Road in Ikebukuro over Akihabara due to less crowding and better prices. If you like Sailor Moon, Rashinban usually has some great collectibles. If you want to peek at a cosplay event like ACOSTA, visit Otome Road on a Sunday. Chances are, they'll be out in the park across the street.

As for good food on a budget, check out Matsuya for low priced beef and pork bowls, CocoIchiban curry for good Japanese curry, chain Izakayas for dinner (Shirokiya is very cheap but good; most plates sell for around 300 yen. Warawara is nice as well. Amataro is good...most of those places have digital menus which are easy to navigate). If you like sushi, going to Kurasushi/Kappa Sushi/Genki Sushi usually costs 500-600 yen per person. Yakiniku is good; you can get all you can eat sets at Gyu-Kaku and Gyuu Shige for about 3000 yen per person. Don't forget if you don't feel like going out, the convenience stores are always a good budget choice. I found that I liked 7-11 bentos when I was traveling on business.

Hope that helps.

>> No.9699401

>>9693971
Check out "Tansu-ya." They're a used shop that sells high quality stuff for very reasonable prices. They have several branches in Tokyo. I know there's one in Kichijoji near Sun Road, and another in Shinjuku in the underground Subnade.

>> No.9700416

>>9699354
Thank you, These are great!
I basically avoid anything that came from the sea, and was focusing more on gyoza, chicken/pork katsu, curry and qrouqettes last time, so I was just wondering what else it out there and could be a good option for me.

Enjoy your time in Japan, come back with lots of tips for us!

>> No.9704848
File: 3.17 MB, 5184x2280, _MG_1760.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Even though this thread is now aged out, I wanted to say it was SUPER gold.
I learned a lot and it helped me on my trip a month ago. I went alone and had no one's input save my own so it was really useful to have you guys experiences to look to.

Thank you again.