[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 69 KB, 640x640, Adult-Beer-Maid-Uniforms-Sexy-Beer-Waitress-Costume-Carnival-Oktoberfest-Dirndl-Costume-Cosplay-Halloween-Party-Fancy.jpg_640x640.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9750713 No.9750713 [Reply] [Original]

Con season may be a bit away, but what are you currently working on and planning at the moment fellow Kartoffels?

>> No.9751090

Looking forward to dokomi. Planning a love life cosplay group for it

>> No.9751163
File: 70 KB, 400x400, 1460084787351.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just give up already. German threads don't take off. They never did.

>> No.9751348

>>9750713
Anyone going to EpicCon? They make lots of promotion for it.

>> No.9751362

>>9751348
Yea, I'll attend with my roommate. Really hope that the cosplay and pen&paper panels will be as fun as promised

>> No.9751442

How is artist alley in germany?

>> No.9751456

>>9751442
Fanart is barely a thing, only oc's and original art. I think some cons are very strict about allowing no fanart or only a percentage, also in the community it used to be shunned if you sold fanart (though i'm not part of the german artist community anymore and dont know if that changed)

>> No.9751505

Too scared to go out in lolita these days, so many foreigners...

>> No.9751540

>>9751456
How much money can you make tho?

>> No.9752034

>>9751456
I varies. Dokomi for example has a huge artist alley of more than 500 artists. Some of them make bank (even up to 5 digit numbers in revenue), some don't break even. Lots of customers, but also lot's of competition. There is a lot of opportunity nowadays but the skill level and business sense needs to be good.

In general the german artist community has grown and prospered a lot over last 5 years. Especially if you are among the more popular artists, some of them do their art full time now.

>> No.9752451

I've gotten really tired of cosplay, but I'm still hanging on to it. Really, it's like a cosplay midlife crisis (I've been on board for +10 years).
I hope this years con season will give me back some enthusiam. I've got DeDeCo, LBM, Animuc, Dokomi and MMC on my con planner.

>> No.9752506

I was considering to start the season at Leipzig Book Fair. It's been a nice place whenever I was there. Just need to see if I can get the money together in time.

>> No.9752540

Biggest german cons beside dokomi?

>> No.9752576

>>9752540
Jday if you consider it as a con, LBM and animagic(?)

>> No.9752579 [DELETED] 

>>9751442
if you're american, garbage. Expect more of those DIY knitted creations and OC only vs art like badges, posters etc.

>> No.9752581

For lolitas, do any Mods of comms allow making your own public meet ups?

>> No.9752678

Never been to a german con but planning this year.
How are they?

>> No.9752760

How are german or European cons in general compared to American ones? Is there even a difference?

>> No.9752780

>>9752760
I don't know about the rest of Europe but Sweden cons suck ass. Just normies dressed up like anime characters.

>> No.9752850
File: 909 KB, 1600x1066, IMG_2842.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9752540

Pretty much >>9752576. I'd probably also add Connichi to the list.

For Jday (Japantag), the visitor numbers are huge, up to 750k for a one day event(!), but the things they offer there are more comparable to that of a small scale con - well, if you don't include little tokyo around Immermannstr. . A few booths at the promenade, one small stage, one big stage, and you already got most of it covered. Most people I know are only going there to hang out with people and watch the fireworks since it's free. But even that is quite a hassle since the whole promenade is overcrowded.

Tbh if you are interested in japanese shops and restaurants, you'll fare better, if you visit Düsseldorf on a normal day. Same applies for the booths, but go to a real con instead.

Pic related, not mine though.

>> No.9752859

>>9752760
I went to Animagic, desu it was horrible compared to US cons. Keep in mind all guests will be voice actors in german (or that’s country’s language). Getting autographs and their panels aren’t as cool if you watch subtitles or another version. A lot of the merch was knock offs (boxes were poor quality and had miss printing) and cheaper online because they were sold at real prices. If you’re use to fandom art like US artist alley you’ll be entirely disappointed. It’s basically OC only with some of those DIY you see in AA threads like knit creatures.

>> No.9752879

The german convention scene is a hot mess. I had contact with a decent amount of organisers and I only had a handful of pleasant experiences.
Never get behind the scenes, the deviousness is sickening. Even (or especially) small one-day meets/cons are cancer. I seriously can't enjoy some cons anymore as a normal visitor

>> No.9752921

>>9752879
The whole con scene is like that. Doesn't matter which country.

>> No.9753436

Bump

>> No.9753524

>>9751456
As a non-german who attended last year and who has friends in the community -

I've heard a lot about people being shunned for selling fanart

But I myself sell mainly fanart and was able to meet a lot of kind people. In addition to that I noticed more fanart than I was expecting for a european convention.

It was fun but if you're coming from far treat it like a vacation con and not like something to pay your bills.

ymmv

>> No.9753922

>>9753524
There is a loud minority raging about fanarts at conventions. But most people are actually chill on that topic.

>>9752859
Animagic invests a lot in japanese guests. It's kind of their selling point, as there is not much else programm. Everything else they do comes years after other cons have established it. Compared to american conventions it's kinda like a midsize / small hotel convention.

Connichi is well established and the longest fan event around after animagic (which is more of a commercial convention). They have a little bit of everything. Guests a kind of a hit / miss ratio, they used ot have better ones than nowadays. Sizewise it's also more of a hotel convention, but with a chill atmosphere. I like it. Animagic's new location is now better though imo. Animagic might become more popular than connichi again, which is kind of ironic. No one would have thought so a couple of years ago, when ani was kind of the lauging stock of the convention scene. But not it seems like the tables might have turned. Who would have thought?

Dokomi used to be the uprising rookie / underdog of the conventions. Now they have largely outgrown all other anime conventions and are by far the biggest event (if you don't count bookfairs / gamescom). They have experimented a lot program wise over the years. Some things worked out/stayed, some didn't, but this way they have formed the convention scene over the past decade deeply. Artist alley, cosplayball, maidcafe and what not, they were always the first to implement it. Their constant development made them very popular, but the recent solution to switching to trade fair halls was not received well. They already announced to move back to the CCD next year because of that. Sizewise you can compare them to one of the top 10 american conventions.

In general, german conventions are still quite a bit smaller than american ones. But within Europe, it's still one of the larger convention communities.

>> No.9756359

>>9752859
>Keep in mind all guests will be voice actors in german
Tensai Okamura, Garnidelia, the guys from Elfen Lied and the new GITS OVAs...
I don't know what con you went to, but it sure wasn't last years Animagic.
Neither was it the time they had Watanabe "Bebop" Shinichiro. Or the time the Butcher and Kalafina came...
Animagic has several week points, but nope, guests ain0t one of them.

>> No.9756401

Anything about VieCC? I know it's not germany, but I was there the last two years and its growing steadily, it also has a more international flair than the German cons I visited.

>> No.9756461

>>9753922
To add to the Dokomi thing, they're now pretty much officially the same size (as of visitor numbers) as the Japan Expo in Paris. So it's a very big deal. I hope they will also invite some cool band or solo artist for this year. So far I've only seen that odottemita group

>> No.9756479

About fanarts at german cons: most don't want to be sued for copyright bullshit, so the orga don't allow fanarts to be sold in the artist alleys

>> No.9756490

>>9756479
But don't worry they allow merchants to sell replica everything to you 10x the price you could get the original for online.

I'd be happier abt some good doujin and better erase all those fake items sold in the merchant halls.

>> No.9756561
File: 11 KB, 505x479, 1426867209044.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't know, every year I grow more and more tired of german cosplayers, they just become more and more cringy. I don't know what to feel about them.

>> No.9757452

>>9756561
If you're one of those people who just feel bad about other people's cosplays instead of having fun sharing your own projects, well, rest assured everyone will be happier if you just stay home.

>> No.9761816

Magnology moving to Erfurt. Any opinions?