[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 83 KB, 2048x1026, 22904750_775868395934138_4350583317575806709_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9881125 No.9881125 [Reply] [Original]

this con is plugged at literally every con i seem to go to east coast, and i just don't get it. half the advertising is just for the niagara falls area, not even for the con? is it a con or what? just looking at the facebook says it might be, but even the posts there are all about things you can do that AREN'T the con?

and the guest line up is so eclectic i'm not sure what to make of it.

j michael tatum is at like every con.
thomas astruc would have been useful like a few years ago and nowadays i hear he's sorta gross.
some german cosplayer?
greg sestero? cool i guess, but that if we're inviting meme guests go all the way and get tommy wiseau and mark your con as dashcon.

has anyone ever been to this con? it's only like an hour and a half away so i thought i might chance it but it seems like a waste of $30 based on reviews and what i'm seeing

>> No.9881129

Looking over the Facebook it's mostly just weird memes with some forced sense of humor guised from a "we" perspective which usually means it's just one strange person

>> No.9881132

>>9881125
i went last year and it was definitely a waste of time and money.

incredibly unorganized, lackluster, in a really dirty and uncomfortable tourist area.

i bought a 3 day badge and only ended up going for friday, saw mystery skulls, and left. the entire budget goes into getting guests that really aren't that good.

the event is not ready to mark itself as a big event with prices like that. it doesn't even know what it wants to be.

it's trying to compete with FanExpo (similar name, similar area, similar goal) but it will never succeed because it's digging its own grave in a smelly, tourist-laden cemetery.

that area is only known for tourist trap gimmicks, so i guess it fits right in.

>> No.9881134

doesn't that cory guy run this? isn't he bad news? the one with midwest media whatever

>> No.9881196

i was flagged down for a flyer at tekko for this. lackluster table set up for sure, didn't sell it. cute table girl, but she didn't seem like she had much faith in it herself (did they pay her?). other guy there was advertising shit that made no sense like waterparks (trying to compete with colossal lmfao?) or bird aviaries... all things i don't care about when i'm at a con unless those things are PART of the con like colossal.

>> No.9881606
File: 235 KB, 570x841, fw.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this review interaction is one of my faves because it implies the person running the page believes you can entice someone to drive like an hour for pretty much nothing but weirdos in small clusters

>> No.9881909

I'm literally only going for vacation purposes, I was able to book at the Seneca for less than the convention hotel prices and figured I could get some nice outdoor photos in the gardens.

>> No.9882732

>>9881909
That's probably all it's worth from just taking a look. They advertise "absolutely best photo opportunities of any con" which is a huge claim.

>> No.9884463

>>9881134
I was advised away from this con because the coordinator is a skeeze who mismanages his events. Googling "Fan World Reviews" for last year give a ton of negativity, especially concerning the parking, the number of people, and some apparent fees people get hit with whenever they cross from one side of the con/boarder to the other. I'd love more first hand deets though.

>> No.9884870
File: 137 KB, 340x340, 1494908685764.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh boy, this thread again.

The best part about being in the WNY community is all the shitty conventions it brings to the table. I remember when it had its first year there was mixed answers to how you can cross the border (the con was at 2 hotels on both sides of the falls and said on the site you just needed your badge to cross the bridge!!!), but not enough people even bothered showing up for it to be a concern of national security.

>> No.9889284

>>9884463
I went last year. The area is sketchy as all hell. Dirty, full of tourists, definitely the falls trying to make a quick buck.

First, no badges? You get your hand stamped every day. And no one was checking...so you just gave free money.

Then, he had the artists in the area where you walk in, allegedly to give the artists "more traffic", which is a lowkey way of saying he knows not enough people go otherwise.

I cosplayed and got harassed by tourists and my picture taken by a lot of weirdos.
If youre going to put your con in a tourist area, make sure its at least 50% con goers. This felt so alienating and uncomfortable.

This year, he has an 18 year old as his head of cosplay apparently? Like he doesn't have any adult friends who were willing to try to help him out or what?

Canada side... WHAT canada side... there's nothing there!

Waste of time. To be honest, if you go don't even buy a badge. Walk in like all the other pedestrians.