[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 84 KB, 500x500, AA-justno.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9940593 No.9940593 [Reply] [Original]

Previous Thread: >>9926601

>Please read the FAQ before posting in the thread (always updating)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PpDyjw2LDxbupdvHMNsBUOBVB66Lzwf44RM1You1GDA/edit?usp=sharing
>Resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10uNmynwRn6CRc-OMqCeXmJwCNnEnd-vYi-7AQzSx74I/edit?usp=sharing
>Artist Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESQ-1h4IRUivbGNaxJFxXyDU1lSv26xTmMdH0sDX7sU/edit?usp=sharing
>How to order from Vograce (now with video on how to set up files)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UxKnpgrmeb82NnW5e4YIEX-eZ3zHt178Mp6i0A5gME/edit?usp=sharing
>Convention List (always WIP)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13o7hD5xS3sDqVptnTVGUlRae3ovEE-vPPST_QOrQwtM/
>IP taketowns (based on artists contribution, may or may not have been a one time thing, use as a guideline)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1696MDhNPhrZ0ySZhXkoJnGxb7l1OjW4JsVhu1wKvaWE
>AA Inspo (thanks anon!)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1D19QV9nHwaY8AaNiEXZAAkEhkBTSsb01?usp=sharing

If anyone else has inspo photos they'd like possibly added to the above link, email the account cgldrawfags@gmail.com

We have a discord!
If you want into the CGL AA discord, email graveweaverelf@gmail.com with a picture of your table or merchandise. It is not a jury, just to make sure you do cons.

Good luck this summer seagulls. Less vendettas, more feedback on AX and plans for future cons

>> No.9940620

How do you gulls deal with copycats, or people who just straight up steal your art? It's always been a big fear of mine.

>> No.9940742

>>9940620
If it's straight up stealing (like direct reposts, DIRECT tracing) I just issue a DMCA and let the site handle it. If it's a "style copy" or "stole my idea" or whatever i learn to let it be. You can't control stuff like that, and it starts to look super tacky if you think you own a style because for the most part you really don't and you are't that original. Like the person who threw a huge public fit over unicorn bats was really embarrassing and people know not to befriend her now. Between those two, I don't think i have any more reactions, what are your fears there?

>> No.9940752

Anyone else tabling at a con this weekend right after getting back from ax?
Everything hurts and I’m praying this con will be worth it.

>> No.9940770
File: 262 KB, 416x577, C7C58E6B-49DF-4CCF-B0B7-0059019AF38C.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I’m so angry, why is it so hard to get into Anime expo?
I know I’m answering my own question, but they literally let every exhibitor from the previous year get grandfathered in to the next year, and I had been emailing AE since before this convention, asking to buy an exhibitors table, and still they’re sold out.
At this rate, nobody new can show up, it’s just the same tables year after year. How is this fair or smart for AX attendees? Same shit that was there this year are gonna be there next year too. It’s so frustrating, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get in. And I know the AA tables are bullshit FCFS so I won’t be able to get one of those either.

>> No.9940775

>>9940770
desu your best bet is to make friends with someone who already has a booth and have them buy double when they re-up or to share with someone who can only fill one booth etc. then you re-buy for yourself next time.

>> No.9940781

>>9940775
The fact I actually have to even consider doing that is absolutely insane.

>> No.9940782

>>9940781
Yea i'm not defending them.. just giving you the best option i've come across. I'm not looking to move to dealer's but that's the only avenue really open to me if i want to.

>> No.9940789

>>9940782
Yeah, I’m not attacking your suggestion or anything, I’m just in complete awe on how this all works. How do some artists get picked as “guest artists”? If enough people request for you to show up to anime expo do they take that into consideration?

>> No.9940866

>>9940789
That definitely plays a part of it, generally i think people with millions of followers just get lots of requests to see certain artists. if for example 1 out of every 100 followers you have emailed a con, you would be outnumbered by anyone with more followers.

The idea is that they would earn more money inviting you from attendees buying tickets JUST to see you versus how much your table costs them.

>> No.9940902

>>9940775
Is the seagull group here still doing that?

>> No.9941007

Hey,does anyone know any places that make zines/books? I wanna do a little physical zine for my sketches but Im not sure where to start. Hoping people who have experience can recommend me stuff

>> No.9941046

>>9941007
Its just book printing my dude, just look up color/comic book printing places.

>> No.9941134

Anon from a few threads back with the messed up vograce order (chips, scratches, very slightly off printing) popping in for an update.

I showed Coco the pictures and she apologized, offered to ensure it didn't happen again and gave me 1.25$ per 2 inch double sided charm. She also got our charms finished and to us in under 2 weeks, with extras of a few charms in the box (no damages or defects!!). There was no customs fee on a large box of 400+ charms. We're going to stick with Vograce for now, but we have options if that kind of thing happens again. Figured i'd let you guys know!

>> No.9941137

How many pounds of poly-fil do you need for 20 45cmx45cm pillows? I was looking at getting this box, but I'm unsure if it's too much
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fairfield-10-Pound-Poly-Fil-Premium-Polyester-Fiber-White/20713592?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227015444285&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40941710312&wl4=pla-78878912792&wl5=9030951&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=20713592&wl13=&veh=sem

>> No.9941146

Anyone going to ctcon? The fedex on the outskirts of hartford wont print anything for "copyright reasons", completely bullshit.

If you need last minute prints, try looking somewhere else.

>> No.9941148

Gulls, I need some reassurance.

I got my first enamel pins today. They look amazing, super happy with my design and manu. The problem? Somewhere between the contract and proofs from my manu I didn’t catch that they switched from a double post to single. (I was charged for a single, proofs have them as a single, but my contract + quote have them as a double) They’re 1.7”, so a little on the big side. I wore them around all day without any spinning, pulling on my shirt or falling off (I even went jogging with one on), so I know it should be fine but I’m still being a total autist and on the verge of overnighting some posts and soldering them on because I have a convention this weekend.

Please just tell me I’m being a moron. And always triple check your proofs.

>> No.9941167

>>9941148
Anon, you're fine. I have a 2 inch whaleshark pin from Osaka aquarium on one post and it manages to hold up as well as every other pin i have. You're worrying too much- not having extra safe posts isnt usually a deal breaker. You just know what to check for next time for your own comfort.

>> No.9941172

>>9941134
Thanks for the update anon.

>> No.9941178

Gulls who have tabled at Metrocon in the past... i usually attend as a cosplayer but this year since my partner and I are doing more tables, we figured we'd cover our costs and get a table, since our friends who have done Metro's AA have done well. However, its a week before con and i noticed in the writeup they sent out says the tampa convention center doesnt allow stickers, but for the past 3+ years we've been purchasing stickers in AA without issue. A good portion of our sales are usually our sticker packs (we make 4$ off a 5$ sticker pack, and sell a fuckload every con). If i have to tell every person who buys not to stick them on a wall, i fucking will. Are they just not strict and i'm worrying for nothing? I know they've been pretty lax on art theft in the past, so should i expect overall laid back AA staff?

>> No.9941213

>>9941137
I think 5 pounds would be fine. 10 pound box is only $19 though and it takes a while for it to actually go bad,

>> No.9941234

Hallo gulls, CRX is sending out waitlist acceptances so if you were rejected make sure to check your emails.

All the people I've seen getting taken off the waitlist are from last year so they're probably going by order of application.

>> No.9941244

For AX in the Artist Alley, how hot is it generally there? I keep hearing stories from this year especially and in general that it's not exactly a cool con. Would it be better to wear really light clothes?

>> No.9941245

>>9941244
I wore jeans and a bomber jacket on Sunday, it's pleasantly cool. The whole weekend was nice weather in there.

>> No.9941249

>>9941244
It was hot as fk outside (coming from someone who is from NorCal). One of the days it was +110F. Inside the AA it was air conditioned, but it was a bit muggy with the crowds. I'd say wear light clothing, but bring a light jacket for indoors if you're tabling.

>> No.9941274

>>9941148
This would never make a difference to me as a buyer (just personally), if it helps.

>> No.9941294

>>9941244
they've been good these last few years about the AC. I'd say if you're prone to feeling cold or sitting near the edge of the alley bring a light jacket, if you're the type to always be warm you'll be good with a t-shirt and shorts/jeans. Dress also for the temp right before you arrive and when you leave, so for the heatwave i came in with tank top + shorts + a light jacket i only put on in the alley when i get chilly because i'm a cold person

>> No.9941424

>>9941134
Good to hear it worked out for you! Sounds like Vograce at least tries regarding customer service.

I really wonder what happened to that gull who got a completely botched order from Zap, the offset and damages on that batch was so bad I can't believe they even dared to ship it.

>> No.9941443

>>9941424
I'm also really curious to know how they ended up handling it. At the very least I'd except a full refund, considering that the order they sent didn't even have the amount anon had paid for, if I recall correctly.

>> No.9941465

For sticker deals, do you go with 2 for 5 or 4 for 10? Or do you just have them both up on your table?

>> No.9941483

>>9941465
Discounts depend on size, if they're holo or not, ect. My partner and I do 6 stickers (1 inch, vinyl) for 5$ in packs, if they're holo, its 3 stickers (1inch) for $5. 2 inch stickers are 2$ each (6 for $10 for packs), stuff like that. We like to do deals on Sundays for our larger items (magnets and 3inch stickers, prints, ect), buy 2 get one free being our favourite. Mostly because the less we have to take home, the better.

>> No.9941558

>>9940775
>>9940781
Get in the discord I can get you tables for 2020 (2019 already filled)

Another method is to keep messaging Susan Celli to update you when tables free up. Some people decide to drop out.

Last method is to show up on day 0 and ask to buy a cancelled tabled ( there were a few this year from contact lens vendors)

>> No.9941562

>>9941558
I'm European so I'm never going to AX anyway, but this is crazy. Are there many cons that basically require nepotism to table over there?

>> No.9941585

>>9941558
I’ll be joining the discord shortly anon!!

>> No.9941678

>>9941558
>2019 already full, likely mostly by this years people re-upping
>2020 already help from an insider is recommended to get a table
this....cannot be the healthiest way to run an AA, jesus

>> No.9941683

>>9941562
>>9941678

This is for exhibitor, not AA although AX AA favors returning artists too.

Exhibitor generally get to buy booths for next year at the end of each con. It'd just that AX is getting so popular that everyone wants to return. Most other cons a good portion don't commit immediately.

>> No.9941700

>>9941683
Giving all returning artists a guaranteed table next year at a big con is still not a very healthy way of running an AA, if you need connections to get a more expensive dealers table two years from now, how the heck are any new artists ever getting into AA??

>> No.9941704

>>9941700
They don't give all returning artists tables. Returning artists get to do a FCFS session with a limited number of tables first. If they dont get in they have another chance with the general FCFS signup

>> No.9941710

>>9941704
Do general sign ups happen in October/November?

>> No.9941736

>>9941700
Anon trying to buy exhibitors table here, I’m only buying the exhibitors table because I know the actual AA is basically fucking impossible to ge into. so I was willing to spend a little more just to get in, but even this plan seemings impossible haha. But yeah, this is rediculous. I’m new to AA and it’s almost so discouraging I want to give up, (but I won’t) and it must really suck for people who aren’t super dedidcated for trying to get into AX. This is rediculous.

>> No.9941737

Is there a "proper" way to handle taxes for your online store? I understand how to go about it for selling at cons (get temp. selling permit for con weekend - pay sales tax after con - report total income made during the yearly tax season) but is it the same for an online store? I guess you could still just get a temporary permit if you only have your store open for short periods of time. Do most people have a business license or are they just taking the risk not reporting/paying the sales tax?

my total earnings so far are less than $300 so I know it's not a huge deal, but I'd rather figure it out now and not when the IRS comes asking about all the storenvy payments I haven't been reporting.

>> No.9941738
File: 27 KB, 1218x670, 2C859895-0825-44E4-990A-004D9222200E.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone else kinda have high hopes/keeping an eye on Anime NYC? It’s first year was last year with a crowd of around 20k people, and that’s pretty good for a beginning con. I’m hoping this is the alternate anime expo for the east side, I mean it’s in a great big city location like AX is. I’m super curious to see how many people go this year.

>> No.9941753

>>9941736
If you're new to AA I don't think AX exhibitor is worth it. It costs 1600 and if you can't set up am attractive booth you'll make less than you would in the AA

>> No.9941823

any crafters here make or think about making anything for BJDs? It looks like there is a decent sized market for accessories and the accessories go for a decent amount on etsy. I've had two people ask me if I could make something for their dolls, but I said I wasn't sure. Maybe I should?

>> No.9941826

>>9941737
Every city and every region is different. You should look up your local tax board (whoever issues sales permits for your area) and see if you can go down and have a meeting with someone. Explain what you do and how much you make and they should be able to give you more info that's specific to your area. Normally you just need to pay sales tax for your state, but with the recent sales tax rulings it might get a lot more complicated in the future.

Of all things that you might evade taxes on, DON'T avoid tax on online sales. It's best not to evade tax at all but yeah, definitely not for anything with a digital record. Sales tax is always required. You might not have to pay federal tax based on the amount if your bracket is low.

>> No.9941842

>>9941738
I'm really hoping to get in. I heard mixed thing about how well people did but at the very least it brings in people. Every NY con I've done is awful and I'm hoping to at least have one good one. Not counting NYCC in this because I haven't and don't want to do it.

>> No.9941850

>>9941823
I'm a crafter but I haven't been approached by someone like what happened to you, so I never thought of doing that. Maybe you should look into it if you think it might be something worth doing, especially since you were approached twice? I think there's a local BJD group around here but I don't know what they look for in accessories, especially for a custom-made item for their doll. I wouldn't know where to start in making stuff for BJDs when I don't dabble in that, good luck anon!

>> No.9941864

>>9941167
>>9941274

Thanks Anons, this definitely makes me feel a lot better/more confident with my pins. They seem pretty secure even with a single post, as long as the bottom of them doesn't snag on something... I might just buy some of those no-tool locking backs to include with them for my peace of mind. I'm glad it's not generally a total dealbreaker though.

>> No.9941868

How do fellow anons stay motivated making merch? I have a habit of designing merch based on what I would want but lately I have no desire to use anything even though I want to make stuff. I keep charms, buttons, and stickers on corkboard to look at instead of using them now. I still like buying from and supporting fellow artists though. maybe I'm sick of looking at my own art lmao

>>9940770
as someone who has gone for the past 10 years as both attendee and seller, I can absolutely say it gets repetitive. I bought a print 7 years ago that I still see every year (with the artist touching it up every 2 years).

>> No.9941934

Is it kosher to ask for horror stories here or is that more suited for a separate thread?

>> No.9941961

>>9941934
We have con horror story threads all the time. Just make a new thread if you want to see those.

>> No.9941994

Have any of you ever had trouble with TSA and enamel pins? I was planning to fly with a big bag of prepackaged ones in my carry-on, but I'm wondering if it's a bad idea, since it might be the kind of thing where it depends on the agents you get that day.

>> No.9941996

>>9941994
My bf got pulled aside for having a bunch of small pins on his lanyard going through tsa. They asked him something like, "do you have any pointed objects I should know about?" and he answered that he had the lanyard and they immediately let him through. You might expect to get pulled aside for more thorough screening, but if you just let them know what's up you shouldn't have much more of an issue than a few minutes delay.

>> No.9942004

>>9941868
depends if you do OC stuff or not I suppose. Most of my art is animal related, and I love watching nature docs and shit to get inspired. on what to draw next. Otherwise, revisiting old fandoms can be very fun. coming up with your own product can be much tougher though, because you have to go a little farther in your thinking. Sorry I can't offer more help on that ):

>>9941934
desu I love reading AA horror stories and am always happy to share mine if others are also sharing.

>> No.9942014

>>9941738
As someone who's sold at many cons, the wiki of 20,000 is not the warm body count. It felt a bit less than AnimeNEXT this year, my guess is 10,000 ish. My vendor buddies made even, in artist alley I made 700 before deductions. I'd still do it, I can chill at my buddies and just Lyft in and out.

>> No.9942026

>>9941994
I almost always put my pins in carry on since they're heavy and 80% of the time TSA will open up my suitcase since they can't identity this giant mass of metal but after seeing it, they let me through just fine. I'm also an international artist flying into the US so I think I go through a stricter screening process.

>> No.9942131

For self hosted online stores, where do the majority of your sales come from? Tumblr, IG, twitter?

>> No.9942250

>>9942131
Instagram, Facebook, tumblr, in that order.

>> No.9942283

>>9941826
thank you! I'm in CA and I definitely don't mind paying the sales tax, it was more that I'm just confused about what kind of permit or license im supposed to have to be selling stuff online in the first place.

>> No.9942298

>>9941046
Thanks!

>> No.9942316

I just wanted to ask since everyone might have a different choice but im gonna be traveling out to crx in september but I was wondering whats a good airline to fly in? I dont want to use southwest cause I dont hear a lot of good things from it but I'm hoping to book my flights tonight :x Also cant wait to meet people out in Cali I haven't been there in years!!! Super excited about it!

>> No.9942336

>>9941996
>>9942026
Thanks! This eases my mind a bit.

>> No.9942337

>>9942131
IG first, facebook second.

>> No.9942364

>>9942316
I've only heard good things about southwest myself. I think almost every airline can have its ups and downs, especially if you're going with the cheaper ones. Amongst United, Delta, American, I'd say they're all in the same tier with United just being a tiny bit lower. Jetblue is usually pretty consistent I think, but I've never had problems with Southwest before either.

>> No.9942377

>>9942316
I've had great experiences on Southwest, and you get two free checked luggage bags with your ticket which is a lifesaver for AA. I basically only fly SW if I'm in artist alley because the luggage alone makes it the best value out of any plane ticket. If you're getting your merch/display shipped, there might be better alternatives, but ehh.

>> No.9942402

>>9941148
As a buyer, I literally do not give a shit. Is it cute? I'm buying. End of story.

>>9941823
I sell BJD goods! It's probably about 99% of my sales at this point. I only stock prints and BJD crafts at this point. Although there are a lot of cheap collectors, there are so many willing to spend even more than what you'd pay for human clothes sometimes. I think you should get into it. There's a real lack of quality artists in the community, especially with props and accessories. A lot of the best artists are also seamstresses, which is great but not when you're looking for a chair/hat/shoes.

>> No.9942403

Super sorry if this isn't a great place to ask, but I figured you guys have tablet experience. I just recently purchased a Huion WH1409 and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these?
I didn't realize how much of a hassle the driver issue would be until trying to set it up and it just refuses to work. (I've reset, I've uninstalled/reinstalled the driver multiple times, the works. It's giving me nothing.)

On the flipside, what's a good affordable tablet you would recommend?

>> No.9942427

>>9941961
There are very few AA stories on those (i’m assuming anon meant AA specific since they asked here).
>>9941934
We have convos like ‘what awkward/bad experiences have you had tabling’ sometimes. Several threads ago a lot of people were talking about table barnacles that were especially annoying or scary.

>> No.9942454

>>9942403
huion is known for these driver issues you just have to get used to reinstalling the driver constantly

mobile tablets

try and get 8gb RAM+ , photoshop/sai alone takes at least 4 so pay a little extra for that 8

i recommend getting a surface pro 4(if pressure sensitivity is not an issue for you, you can use a surface pro 3). Get a separate hotkey usb hooked to the tablet and you have a cheap portable computer ~$600

ipad pro - not as cheap as a surface pro but is slowly matching wacom quality. photoshop soon coming as an app. cons: subscription based art programs, pros: portable, good quality ~$1500

wacom - cintiq companion 1- 2, mobile studio pro WORST
dont recommend at all they all have charging issues and they will not fix because they're passed warranty. ~$1800

Their actual cintiqs are pretty good and you can get them for cheap on ebay or refurbished elsewhere ~$1500

>> No.9942468
File: 337 KB, 1242x2208, 47583DDC-67FB-4809-8236-C1761B7DF8E3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone at TFcon AA, watch out. Those infamous thieves are at it again.

>> No.9942473

>>9942468
It's disgusting that they haven't been caught yet.

>> No.9942624

>>9942468
hey guys, if you could please spread this post around for awareness i'd appreciate it. it's got the description of the suspects and the mode of operations attached to it. please keep watch at your local con for them if you're near ontario/quebec:

twitter . com/zeekayart/status/1018286320240783360

>> No.9942806

>>9942403
I bought a huion kamvas gt-156hd and it's been a life-saver. Never had a problem with drivers and never ever going back to overpriced wacom ever again.

>> No.9942849
File: 2.07 MB, 2066x1258, stolen.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm really wary after reading that AA post about pin designs being stolen. I've never personally made one yet for my shop, but I frequently look at taobao, aliexpress and fully Chinese language shopping sites and there's very obvious stolen pin designs all the time I come across. I see more anti-Trump pins, "tumblr" art pins, sassy English feminist pins, stylized anime art obviously not by the pin seller, western memes, and so on more than I do "Chinese" pins. I'd almost say the thievery of pin art is done on purpose for the Chinese to make a profit from these naive artists.

Has any gull ever had their pin designs stolen? Do AA sellers just turn a blind eye to this and let their art gets stolen or are people even aware how common stolen pin designs are on Chinese sites?

>> No.9942883

>>9942849
>I'd almost say the thievery of pin art is done on purpose for the Chinese to make a profit from these naive artists.
I don't understand what you're trying to say with this, of course pin manus stealing designs is to mooch off others to make profit?

Pin manufacterers stealing designs is something I've heard of being a thing on Alibaba, which is yet another part of what makes it hard to find a good manu. I know people are vary of sharing their manus and that's fine, but I think having a blacklist of the manus that are art thieves in the FAQ or something could be a good idea.

>> No.9942890

>>9942883
I meant that the Chinese being open to a Western audience with pin creating seems to be entirely so they can steal them. They face no legal repercussions should they do it, so it's basically fair game with your molds and artwork. There might be some decent Chinese manufacturer's but they're definitely the exception, not the norm.

>> No.9942895

>>9942849
I see this a lot too, even with Swimmer (rip) brand stuff.
To add to this, not only do Chinese companies do this but some western ones as well, stores like Forever 21 are notorious for stealing art.

>> No.9942900

>>9942890
>the Chinese being open to a Western audience with pin creating seems to be entirely so they can steal them
I think that's taking it too far, of course they steal artwork because it has no repercussions and they profit off it, but merely manufacturing and selling products to Westerners is profitable too. It's not like all designs are profitable enough for them to steal and sell, and if every single pin manu on Alibaba stole your designs then the market would quickly die.

>> No.9942908

>>9942454
If you get a surface pro4 don't use it like I did which was as a desktop replacement. I spent 1.5k on mine and I used it frequently for drawing and streaming. It really isn't built to take that kind of heat. Mine is busted now, after 1.5 years of use. So, I would recommend you treat it like a mobile device, and don't overheat it like a moron hahaha kill me surface heating issues are hard to resolve

Can't say I want to buy another surface anytime soon personally.

>> No.9942943

>>9942908
Same experience here. I haven't busted it but it just can't handle large files + multitasking, it'll start slowing down very quickly. There's the line jitter issue on top of that, and I think the surface pro just isn't that good at varied line weight. I noticed a huge difference when switching back to my old tablet. It's a really nifty device, but in practice it just can't replace a pc. Kinda regret getting it.

>> No.9943131

Is there a reason some people don't ship internationally? I always find it odd when a shop, big or small, doesn't offer it.

>> No.9943146

>>9943131
Some countries' postal services are a bitch to deal with.

>> No.9943157

>>9942849
>>9942883
>>9942890
Not every manufacturer out there is going to sell the mold they did for your own personal pin. If you check the picture comparisons in the image above most are shitty traces from specific thieving companies that they take of your design. OR are embroidered patches. Which can easily be pulled off pinterest, instagram, or some other popular site, maybe unfortunately even the example pics off GOOD alibaba manus. At worst the thought process is "I will take this image off google to sell to westerners" not "let me take advantage of all these artists" they see what's a trend and what's popular and copy it.

I'm not saying it's not bad of course and I wish there were legal repercussions we could take but most companies on alibaba practice good business practices and do not re-sell your mold(it's business suicide if they want to keep working with westerners). But no one can stop a shitty (and desu usually more popular company) from creating a similar/identical mold.

Same as >>9942895 said of Forever 21 and A LOT of western companies do exactly this too.

>> No.9943161

>>9943157
>practice good business practices
I mean specifically they won't resell your designs. But they can still be hard to work with, refuse refunds or have shitty quality.

Also to answer the original question on aliexpress and taobao there is a long and annoying way of reporting copyrighted items that can get them taken down. But I don't know how many artists know how to or get frustrated and don't complete the process.

>> No.9943179

Without naming names, does anyone know of two mods in particular over at AANI have some heavy connections somewhere somewhere with someone?? One of them honestly has art that is not that impressive at all and she literally gets in every convention and was artist of the month for cat print last month?? She's bff's with the other mod too, they always table next to each other, and now that other mod is artist of the month with cat print.
I'm just...curious.
It's getting so frustrating with seeing the same people over and over. And like what a couple anons were talking about before, how it seems like the only way to make it in the AA world now is to know people.

>> No.9943185

>>9942316
Maybe not helpful but I use southwest for all my flights (mostly to and from cali) and have never had any issues with them? I do pay the extra $15 each way for early bird though so I know I'll have room for my carry on since people do tend to push the limits of how much they take on the plane with them.

>> No.9943229

>>9943131
I've turned off international shipping because it's so expensive on the things that I sell that I always get a load of replies whining about the shipping cost and being super passive aggressive in the worst ways. I'd rather say "sorry can't ship internationally!" than have to explain to any more people that our country's postal service sets the rates, not me, and it's pointless to complain to me about it.

>> No.9943234

>>9943229
I figure you'd get more messages from people asking you to ship internationally than asking about the rates.

>> No.9943236

>>9943185
>>9942377
Have you guys flown on southwest recently? I flew on them earlier this year and had early bird in A group, yet there was a huge group of people who boarded before any letter groups were called on all of the flights I had. Not ADA or families, they were business looking people, and there was nothing called when they started getting on, on all four flights I was on. Seemed like some kinda secret high tier boarding class. Is this normal for Southwest? Last time I flew on them, it was ADA and families, then boarding A, B, etc. Then they made ADA and small children get on AFTER A group, which seems against the whole point. This is the only thing that soured me to them so far, since it meant that I was still halfway down the plane when I boarded despite paying extra for better seats.

>> No.9943237

>>9943234
My experience is no. I usually add something to the products or the shop page that apologizes for not shipping internationally and I actually don't get many complaints. But even if I add apologies about shipping cost I will still get a lot of complaints about shipping cost. My experience has been that people are happier to not even have the option to buy rather than feel like they are being overcharged.

>> No.9943238

>>9943237
weird. I've never had anyone complain about shipping costs, and half the stuff I sell internationally, the shipping cost costs around the same as the item they are buying. Just had someone spend $65 shipping on a $70 item.

>> No.9943248

>>9943236
I flew southwest to fanime this year and I have never seen that before? I've never had a case where it wasn't ADA/children first then sequence of letter groups. The only thing I can think of is they might have been higher up employees of southwest? idk but that sucks and i'm sorry that happened to you.

>> No.9943269
File: 102 KB, 2263x350, Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 1.54.28 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

wew lads I just got this email

>> No.9943270 [DELETED] 
File: 2.72 MB, 1540x2351, 1531239405836_NEVERENDS_02_Beto_jpeg_sm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm planning on releasing my full-color comic on the dec-jan convention season. I'm... a loli ecchi and loli fan also so I may be too perverted for most. :-|

>> No.9943330

>>9943269
Lol I fucking knew it

>> No.9943373

>>9943270
yeah, a lot of people don't like pedophiles. weird!

>> No.9943416

>>9943179
I feel you on that, but I'm pretty sure that in the case of these two it's not the connections. I've seen mod #1 here and there and am pretty sure most of the cons she gets into are FCFS so it could just be good luck and great internet?? I could be wrong, though, because I don't exactly follow her. And mod #2 is pretty open about not getting into cons. I don't think the Cat Print thing has to do with connections either. Maybe it's because the pool of prints to choose from that actually have cats is pretty small. I mean, look at the Artists of the Month for March-May, lol. I don't think they really choose AoMs based on skill.

>> No.9943419

>>9943416
Okay, I just realized that maybe everything I said there might point to exactly the opposite of what I was trying to say haha (that the connection dependent thing is bad, but I don't think it necessarily applies to those two)....but in any case, we'll never know.

>> No.9943450

>>9943270
>selling “loli ecchi” in person
jesus. have fun getting kicked out i guess

>> No.9943493

>>9943416
>the pool of prints to choose from that actually have cats is pretty small
This. Hilariously, in the past there were a couple months where i guess nobody ordered anything with cats so they just picked something that didn’t have one, and the quality was much nicer than most their monthly ones due to the wider pool to choose from.

>> No.9943498

>>9943270
if by 'most' you mean 'decent, acceptable members of society' than yeah probably isn't going to go over so well.

>>9942849
jesus christ anon it's not the 19th century, not all chinese people are scary, conniving thieves. I'd say you have more of a issue with that than the idea of your shit actually being stolen. It's vastly more likely that an artist alley-level artist gets their shit stolen or ripped off by another artist, or a vendor who thinks shit being on google images means it's free use.

>> No.9943504

>>9943269
Story behind this?

>> No.9943518

>>9943238
I've had people sorta vague about it, but just telling them that those are the rates from my country to theirs and that I can't do anything about it just ends the conversation there. Like anon doesn't have to explain it each time, who has the energy for that lol.

>> No.9943525

>>9943269
>>9943504
Lmfao CRX sent all their acceptances so fucking late that hardly any of their first picks have accepted going.
I got an acceptance last week and declined it, they're desperately trying to fill the alley if they've already gone through their (unnamed) waitlist and have moved onto rejected artists.

>> No.9943542

>>9943518
but then you have to explain why you don't ship internationally....

>> No.9943558

>>9943542
NAYRT, but I've found that you don't. I've never had anyone demand a reason why I don't ship internationally, and even then you could just be like "customs and shipping are a hassle lol sorry", maybe even throw in a "there are too many risks involved" or bullshit something else (nicely, of course).

I don't understand how people feel so entitled that they can complain "omg your shipping is so expensive :(((( can you lower it for me :(((("

>> No.9943566

>>9943236
Southwest works a little funny because they don't have assigned seating.

A-List frequent flyer members are guaranteed boarding in A1-A15 or earlier. But, Southwest also sells EarlyBird Check In. If there are too many A-Listers or too many EarlyBird purchases, they have to preboard the overflow A-List members. it's the perk of flying a zillion miles a year with the same airline.

I never qualified for A-List even when I was flying four times a month for work, if that tells you how many miles those guys clock every year.

>> No.9943579

>>9943525
I feel like the same thing happened last year. I didn't expect to get in since I don't have the most anime art style or fandoms and I'd assume that's what they were looking for

It's probably going to be mostly locals/California artists again

>> No.9943617

>>9943238
This is really strange to me, too. In the rare event I do get international buyers, they're willing to shell out. I'd outright ignore requests to lower shipping, local or otherwise.

>> No.9943633

>>9943579
Can confirm this exact thing happened last year with the same timeline. I dont think they know how to run a con yet...

>> No.9943643

>>9943248
It's possible these people were being priority boarded due to a canceled flight or they were just getting back on the plane after a long layover.

>> No.9944066

>>9943633
They were literally hiring a new con chair between last year and this year, looking for someone with more experience. Maybe they didn't find anyone.

>> No.9944083

Poking at the Fringes Without Benefit sheet, does anyone have more info on the Final fantasy fan comic take down that the police were apparently called? I got a lot a final fantasy and wondering if I should be pulling it.

>> No.9944248

so I have a handful of acrylic charms that I want to retire and I'm unsure how to display them. Should I just place one of each design in a small basket on my table and let people leaf through it, and replenish the basket when one is sold?

I'm just worried about people stealing them or taking forever to look through them all (even though there's only 10ish designs).

>> No.9944253

>>9944248
lucky bag em'

>> No.9944262

>>9944253
that's what I was thinking. Now if they're blind bags, do you think charging $5 a bag for one charm instead of $10 for a regular priced one be enticing enough for a customer? I figure if it's mystery bag related it would have to be even more than just 50% off for someone to take it.

>> No.9944279

Any UK Anons here got suggestions on what cons are best for artists to table at?

>> No.9944327

>>9943525
did anyone even get a "waitlist" email? I thought everyone was either in or rejected. it's so cringe that they didn't think about how they were split with sacanime and ndk etc.

>> No.9944344

>>9944327
From the 15+ people I know that got rejected and all of the stuff I've seen online, no one was "waitlisted" this year. Everyone was either sent a rejection email or an acceptance email. As I suspected everyone who was rejected was put on the waitlist. Last year they only sent out acceptance or waitlist emails, but no flat out rejections.

>> No.9944345

>>9944066
Judging by who is doing the emails for AA, it may not have changed. The same person who sent the emails last year is sending them again this year.

>> No.9944425

>>9944344
I got no email at all

I wonder where that puts me

>> No.9944465

>>9944262
I think that could work!

You could also do 3 per bag and charge 15$

>> No.9944473

Anyone do tokyo in Tulsa this weekend?
How did you do?

>> No.9944521
File: 234 KB, 740x740, 2907D793-A1CB-45C0-96FE-64DDF341F50F.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9941738
I’m almost 100% certain AX and NYCC are intimidated by Anime NYC. Can’t wait to see how this drama brews, even Anime NYC made a comment on NYCC x AX.
I knew this random anime expo/New York collab smelt fishy!

>> No.9944522
File: 260 KB, 740x740, AA66F874-E3D4-4C44-8C76-E8E4460BFE9E.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9944521

>> No.9944607

sorta artist alley related: Someone is apparantly being sued for drawing furry art and not actually being a furry https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/8zfg4o/pa_i_do_furry_art_for_living_despite_not_being_a/

>> No.9944685

>>9942943
>>9942908
I think you just have to find the right programs and make sure you get enough RAM to handle it

sai 2 and clip studio work great on the surface but everything else sucks major dick lol

>> No.9944687

>>9943525
anon why didnt you accept? its a pretty good con, last year was their first year and I raked in 5k

organization-wise they're shaky but the amount of people they bring in is amazing

>> No.9944705

>>9944687
First year being good doesn't always ensure a good con though. Plus they moved to a new location. It could be mediocre. Folks who got in Sac are better off going to Sac.

>> No.9944709

>>9944705
The new location is significantly better than the old though. Santa Clara Convention Center is really in the middle of nowhere, however it does lose the Magfest con goers who got in to AA for having the Magfest badge.

>> No.9944724

>>9944521
I am so pissed they are kicking out all the anime from NYCC and making it a separate ticketed event. LIKE WTF. No one is going to walk down to the pier, and pay extra just to see the anime section of the con. I want all my fandom shit on one floor. It's absolute BS. I'm wondering if one guy on NYCC board or w/e just fucking hates anime and wants it off his show floor to go die at the pier. Because there is no way in hell any anime artists or vendors are going to make back the booth or travel cost from the exile there. They already tried throwing a separate room in the convention center years ago for anime vending and it was DEAD. People don't exit the massive show floor in Javits for other vending areas, it's too huge.

On other news AnimeNYC was very enjoyable, never sell out to those NYCC dudes.

>> No.9944735

>>9944685
I use primarily CSP
I had a i7 16GB surface pro 4

The hardware was all there, it couldn't handle actually using all of it though because the heat slowed the machine down before it even got there.

Granted part of it is definitely my fault for running it even when it was hot, and that's why mine busted. Probably. But there was no way I was using all max potential for any length of time. CSP and OBS and Chrome was the most I would use at a time on it. That ran it pretty hot

Get a surface, fine. Don't sink your money into the high end one though, you can't even use the rest of it.

>> No.9944737

>>9944705
Being in between SacAnime and CRX location-wise I already know a lot of people that used to go to Sac are going to CRX this year. We have SacAnime flyers in our gamestop and no one is picking them up. Judging by fb event interest CRX has almost double that of SacAnime.

>> No.9944843

Anyone has any experience with selling Yu Gi Oh! merchandise? I started watching it again and I really enjoy it, but I'm not sure if there still is a fanbase? I will probably still make some merch just for the sake of it, but hearing any sort of experience would be appreciated!

>> No.9944859

>>9944843
The Yu Gi Oh abridged guy is still making bank from his merchandise if that means anything.

>> No.9944863

>>9944843
it's one of those 'small but dedicated' fanbases imo

>> No.9944888

>>9944607
Read the comments, it was a fake notice from a salty fan.

>> No.9944926

>>9944521
>>9944522
Can someone explain all of this and what Anime NYC said to them to intimidate them?

>> No.9944934
File: 156 KB, 577x534, 4E24FED9-F552-43C8-8C28-A3E551A4B653.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9944926
It was just the fact that Anime NYC was clearly a success last year; made either the top 5 or top 10 biggest anime conventions all the while just being their first year (20k people warm bodies/ turnstyles, doesn’t matter which its still a significant number for a first con)

Fast forward to this year, their con is in November, and if it was a success last year, there’s a high chance it’ll be even more of a success this year.
New York Comic Con, clearly going down the toilet at this rate due to over price, over hype, ect ect, is a direct competition to Anime NYC, and is also around the same season that they’re in.
But obviously comic con is COMIC con, and no anime.
Anyways, in the back Anime Expo is sweating because everyone and their grandma can see that Anime NYC is going to be the “big” anime con of the east coast, and honestly that’s fine because they can easily co-exist with each other; anime expo is west side and in the summer, Anime NYC is east coast in the fall.
However, Anime Expo being the greedy people their are (I honestly think they’re kinda shitty) decided to at the last minute team up with NYCC and make a “anime weekend” event, that’s in close proximity to the time and place of Anime NYC.
Why was this strange?
Because everyone knows Anime Expo always plans their shit months if not years ahead of time, and their badges for next year have already gone on sale, vendor booths are full, ect ect.
It is completely out of character for them to go “oh we’re having a weekend anime event this fall! Tickets go on sale tomorrow!” When they usually announce events like this months ahead of time.
There’s not really much information about the Anime Expo event with comic con, and it just sounds like a pathetic grasp at straws from Anime Expo trying to splash water on Anime NYCs convention.
So the VP or CEO or whatever of Anime NYC made a public statement addressing the fact that Anime Expo tried being this shady.

>> No.9944993

>>9944926
>>9944934
> 20k people warm bodies/ turnstyles, doesn’t matter which its still a significant number for a first con

First year cons hitting 300 - 500 people is considered a big success, maybe up the bar to around 1-3K with celebrity backing for promotion and funding. 20K no matter how you count it is INSANE

>> No.9945032

>>9944934
Are there any lurkers from large anime exhibitors that can confirm if they are kicking out all the anime peeps and shipping them to the pier? I know they are not renewing vendor booths for the NYCC hall and instead only offering them space in the pier if you are remotely anime related.

>> No.9945115
File: 14 KB, 372x268, B1CFD7CA-8E35-4E3F-A7EE-AD7C6E4B8D87.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>make roughly $400+ this last three days on Etsy
>think “yay I can finally splurge a bit and get a new Lolita dress!”
>just remember Etsy has a “bill” aka where the payments for the shipping labels come from
>totally forgot the bill existed
>check the balance
>your Etsy bill: $401
REEEEEEEEEE-
Seriously though, I hate how Etsy manages those transactions separately from everything else. Why can’t the buyers’ money for the shipping just be taken out right there and then? I always forget, and the bill gets up to like $500 so quickly.
There goes the Lolita dress I wanted to buy.

>> No.9945219

>>9945115
This is why I advocate having your own online storefront. Use Etsy for small loss leader purchases, attract a loyal following, and put the profitable items on an online store so you don't have to deal with Etsy's shit. I'm sorry your plans were ruined anon.

>> No.9945310

>>9944687
I got accepted into a different con(much earlier) so I'm not going. Also being local to the area I have doubts this year will be as successful as last year was.

The amount of people last year was due to the month before the con radios were giving away tickets like crazy because they didn't reach their attendance numbers. And they bought a bunch of bus ads too, so you saw it EVERYWHERE. And like >>9944709 mentioned MAGfest gave them a lot more attendeees/spenders

>> No.9945366

>>9945115
I hate the bill, but I've honestly made the habit of manually paying it every time I package orders (every three days), so I never look at my account and get excited at how much money I have only to remember I have a $200 bill lol.

>> No.9945474

Anyone ever tabled under different artist identities or styles before? I have some semi-popular accounts curated to different styles and fans but I don't want to mix them or out myself

>> No.9945544

>>9945115
Holy shit, why is it that high??

>> No.9945582

>>9945544
Your etsy bill is paid either once a month or until you hit your cap (that gets higher and higher everytime you pay) so that isn't $400 shipping in 3 days. I hear they were planning on changing it to take it out of your profits but they haven't yet.

I plan on switching my payment method to a 2% cashback credit card so it might be convenient for it to stay the same

>> No.9945604

For those of you who ship out pillows, how do you package them? I'm planning on having stuffing/no stuffing options, but for the w/ stuffing option should I'm debating whether I should send the pillow already stuffed, or fold the pillow case up and compact the polyfil in a ziploc bag, etc...I'm probably overthinking this but I don't really send out things larger than keychains so I'd love any input on what has worked for you!

>> No.9945623

>>9945604
Unless your pillows are gigantic I can just shove mine in a bubble mailer while stuffed no issue, and the other sellers I know do that too. If they're huge though you'll probably want a box or just not offer the option if it's inconvenient.

>> No.9945647

>>9945474
That would be kind of chaotic...I guess it might make sense if there were a certain convention where it was much more fitting to push one style over the other, but it sounds like a lot of extra work. Do you also have different sales pages?

>> No.9945949

>>9945604
polybag

>> No.9946274

>>9945604
Anytime I buy a pillow stuffed, it's because I'm willing to spend the extra $$$ on shipping to not have to sew it closed myself. If I got it in the mail with the stuffing not actually inside the pillow, I'd be miffed.

If your pillows have zippers it would be a very mild miffed.

>> No.9946322

>>9946274
Same here. I have never heard of anyone just...including the stuffing separate. No offense original anon, but that's one of the most retarded ideas I have ever read on these threads.

>> No.9946545

Thinking about doing those rainbow metal enamel pins. Are there any manufacturers to AVOID?

>> No.9946615

How do you tell a customer politely but firmly to fuck off? I always feel like I’m too nice and unfortunately people take advantage of that and think it’s ok to block the front of my table talking to their friends/ leave their condensating drinks on my table near my merch/paper supplies. Ive tried to be polite about it but god they need to learn how to take a hint.

>> No.9946629

>>9945604
Try vacuum sealing it in a ziplock bag or one designed for that purpose. My local Daiso used to stock those.

>> No.9946632
File: 933 KB, 3718x2092, N5JPJDQ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9946629
see example

>> No.9946942

>>9946615
>learn how to take a hint
Stop with that "hinting" bs. If someone is in front of your table blocking your stuff, just tell them "please move". If they don't move, go find a staff member to get them to move.

>> No.9947163
File: 61 KB, 480x600, F0CDE296-DF89-496F-AAF5-C712638ECF0A.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9946615
Holy shit, if they’re ones thing I can thank the military for, its for the ability to literally call people out 100% directly without any remorse/shyness.
You gotta be nice and understand that those type of people probably have a mental disability, however just completely 360 change your demeanor and show you’re 100% serious when asking them to move because there obstructing your traffic. I’m a kind, sweet Lolita and am nice to anyone, but damn I will call a person out on their shit when needed.
Just be nice and whatnot, and when you’re trying to get your point across just go straight face and lower your voice a bit to show you have strength in your words.
The abrupt contract is such a shocker to people it works about 99.2% of the time.

>> No.9947172

>>9946615
If you feel bad about telling them to go away, just pester them. "can I help you with anything? no? are you sure? Are you SURE?"

>> No.9947271

>>9946615
When people leave stuff on my table I reach over to grab it as soon as I notice it even if they left it 10 seconds before. They usually grab it before I get to it and I apologize saying something like "oh I thought someone left it there, I didn't know it was yours (:" because once you leave shit on my table it's fair game.

>> No.9947397

>>9946615
If saying "can i help you" doesn't work you can always try to say something like "Can we please keep the front of the table clear? Thanks" Then you aren't accusing them of blocking you and it's pretty passive language that doesn't place blame but is also very direct and obvious what you mean. (versus "Can you please move / not block my table")

>> No.9947577

>>9946615
I've reached the conclusion that I just won't have any flat surfaces available on my table because people will put their shit down on anything that's open, even if it's a tiny fucking corner and even if you tell them to shove it back up their asses.

>> No.9947578

Does anyone have any advice for how to clearly communicate that they want to do different sized charms within a single vograce order? i.e 300 2 inch charms, 200 1 inch charms.

I can't tell if I'm just phrasing it very stupidly or if I should just place seperate orders (although i'd like to save on shipping by combining the orders if possible).

>> No.9947584

>>9947578
I tell them that all the time? You just write it as separate line items:

Xin/XXmm - Qty XXX - type of finish

>> No.9947616

>post messy Voltron sketches
>3K likes and reblog
>paints a super nice print
>24 likes 6 reblogs

...I don’t understand anything anymore.

>> No.9947617

>>9944262
honestly as long as it's a couple bucks off people will probably buy them just fine, customers fucking love grab/lucky/mystery bags and literally any kind of deal. you could probably get away with selling the single charm ones for $7-8. if you want get rid of them faster, you can also do a few double/triple-charm ones, pretty it up with some washi tape and sell those ones for $14-18. don't forget to write "$x value!!", that usually helps too

>> No.9947928

Do you guys supplement your con income with anything else (other than an online store)? I've had a patreon for a while now and am reasonably successful with it for what I put into it, but I'm not super happy with the way I structured the tiers so I've been thinking about reorganizing it.

Anyone do streams and get donations? Was thinking about starting that up too, though not sure of the best place to do it (twitch, picarto, etc.)

>> No.9947935

>>9947928
if you don't do much nsfw, go with twitch for streaming. creative is a shitty category, but the sub model is much better and people use it on twich, whereas people don't really use picarto subs.

make sure you have a good mic and ideally a webcam (you don't have to show your face - i show my hands as they work on the tablet, but faces help a lot), and get yourself a schedule.

>> No.9947939

>>9947935
Is picarto the only real option if I happen to do a lot of nsfw? I don't have to really, but it's definitely an option I think my followers would be interested in. Can't believe twitch doesn't allow even artistic nudity, that's dumb as fuck.

>> No.9947944

>>9947939
yeah, pretty much. and if you get partnered with twitch, you can only stream nsfw on picarto as you have to enter an exclusivity contract where twitch gets all livestream content for 24 hours before any other platform, including youtube.

and trust me, i know it's bullshit. if you end up doing something with artistic nudity, make really stupid obnoxious censors to cover things.

>> No.9948042

>>9947939
I have a friend who does exclusively nsfw stuff, and he streams on picarto regularly but attaches his patreon and at certain tiers people can request things and it works really well for him. It's not exactly like a sub model but it does stream way more traffic towards his patreon.

>> No.9948196
File: 25 KB, 1115x676, fuck.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do you guys make simple and clean sharp designs Can anyone suggest a good program to trace line art in and color? I'm trying to make stickers for a con and I keep running into this issue. I'm using Inkscape at the minute. My vectors look decent but anytime I color I get this ugly seam.

>> No.9948207

>>9945623
>>9945949
>>9946274
>>9946629
Thanks for the tips guys! I was starting to lean on the side of just not offering stuffing at all but I'm probably gonna reconsider my options.

>>9946322
lmao that's fair. To be honest I think I'm stressing myself out a little too much over this...but my thought was that if I was gonna include the stuffing I didn't want to end up squishing the entire pillow into a small envelope and end up badly wrinkling the pillowcase (then again, I could just buy a bigger envelope or do the vaccuum seal thing anon mentioned above lol). And yes, my pillows have zippers...haha

>> No.9948211

>>9947616
>post something people can relate to
>wow why do people like it
Anon, it's time to face the reality that people only see the end product, not the effort you put behind it.

>> No.9948244

>>9948196
Is there an area scaling option for the bucket tool?
In CSP I use it and it colors very nicely without any ugly ass seams

>> No.9948303

>>9948244
Not sure what that means but I think I get the gist of what youre saying. Maybe something i should be asking is if you should be coloring on the same layer as your lines or if you should just pain sloppily in a layer underneath them?

There is an option to select your painted area and then increase the size via hot key command but its rough and has a tendency to seep over your lines in some areas and not reach the edges in others.

>> No.9948305

>>9948244
also thank you for telling me that theyre ugly ass seams because that really is how i see it lol its driving me insane. one of my friends is telling me that it just happens sometimes and it proably wont even print that way but im unconvinced.

>> No.9948431

>>9948196
I was gonna say if you're using illustrator and you use the object>clipping mask>make>release method there's still a hairline gap that's visible that never shows up in actual print.

>> No.9948506
File: 55 KB, 612x560, like thissss.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9948305
If I hated you I'd lie and say they look fine lol
To be fair though they'll probably be harder to see once printed, but is it really worth the risk?!
>>9948303
It's basically what you do with select but a tad cleaner imo. Paint the layer underneath! It'll save you from a TON of headaches.
pic related

>> No.9948560

>>9948211
Shit, I should have mentioned that the print was Voltron too. It’s almost like people don’t want a polished print...

>> No.9948586

>>9948560
To be fair, I've also noticed that there is something about sketches people love. It seems to happen a lot.

>> No.9948599

>>9948560
voltron ends this year, so i'd take success while you can get it

i think people like a degree of informality.

>> No.9948601

>>9943236
like >>9943643 said... likely they were returning to the plane after taking a bathroom/snack break b/c they were continuing on to the plane's next destination... it's so they can not have to take all of their stuff of the plane, just leave it in place and return to their seat before the general boarding starts since they do not have set seat assignments.

>> No.9948644

>>9948601
It was definitely not the case because the group formed before the plane had arrived, we watched it land and people deboard and have to push through this big group of dumb yuppy looking people. I could believe cancelled flight maybe. Still really stupid to put little kids and ADA on AFTER group A, I flew again on southwest since posting that and they didn't do it that way this time, so I have no idea what was up with those flights.

>> No.9948795

>>9948599
There's 26 episodes left so I'd give it another year, but the fandom is hard to gauge and what ends up popular or not whether it is sketches or print-quality depends on character, subject and pairing. People will often like and reblog sketches they find funny over pictures that simply look good.

>> No.9948842

>>9948560
There's something about sketches that are really rebloggable/shareable etc. I think ppl being on their phones/computers so much it's a breath of fresh air to see messy drawn lines on their feed. That's definitely how I feel about sketches anyway

>> No.9948907

>>9948560
Most people are better at making appealing sketches than appealing finished things. It could be some lack of skill somewhere coloring/rendering/polish/whathaveyou that throws off the end result.

>> No.9948928
File: 929 KB, 200x200, ful's gold.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I always feel awkward complimenting an artist's work or chatting with them about something they made - and then not buying anything. It feels, I don't know, like I'm leading them on or something?
I'm sure this is just me being an overly sensitive jackass but idk. Is this something y'all actually care about?

>> No.9948965

>>9948928
If it is not busy and there's no crowd or other people looking i absolutely do not mind this at all. I actually hate when people try to find excuses to not buy, i don't expect every single person to have money. If you aren't blocking any customers and I'm not busy (doing a commission for example) some small talk is fine with me. Just say thank you for our time at the end, don't apologize for "not having money" or "being broke" or whatever.

>> No.9948981

>>9948928
I love when people want to talk about the stuff I sell. Its nice being able to talk to a fan.

>> No.9949158
File: 402 KB, 1068x566, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9948506
im going to level
with you, partially for quick results and partially so other people have a laugh and possibly chime in. my friend surprised me that we are on the waiting list for a con coming up in a month and now i have only a month to learn how to scan my art and turn it into sellable merch. they seem to think we will get the table. would you suggest just abandoning anything that isnt illustrator for ease of use/ quick learning? I spent a week on gimp, then someone suggested inkscape so ive spent a week on that now. and im making slow progress. time is obviously of the essence, but i know i can do it. i make money as a traditional artist, im not just a random deviantart kid, but with digtal art im completely out of my element. i guess what im asking is what program can i get the most bang for my buck for in a time crunch if i go at it fill time? art is what i do full time but ive found myself in an interesting situation that i can use quick advice on. i sell oil paintings and illustrations for decent amounts of money so i feel that learning how to make flat simple graphics ans cartoons should be a quick process for me once i find my footing.

>> No.9949277

>>9949158
Wouldn't it be better to focus on what you're already good at? It's not bad to try out a new program but trying to crunch and learn a program to make semi-decent looking art within a month doesn't seem feasible. Especially if you're rushing said art, you're probably gonna end up making garbage art.

If you're a traditional artist why not take good photos of your oil paintings and color in your drawings traditionally and then scan, instead of trying to wade through an entirely different art workspace?

>> No.9949375

>>9949158
What >>9949277 said. Imo there's less of a learning curve involved with digitalizing your traditional art than making digital art from scratch. You could also just sell your oil paintings.

>> No.9949383

>>9949277
>>9949375
Thanks for your replies and reading my lengthy writeups. The majority of my oil paintings and drawings are a little niche for a convention setting. More art than pop culture if that makes sense. If I go to a western media themed con I wouldnt worry quite as much, gritty or dark themes dont seem quite so out of place there. but most of the cons coming up are more anime influenced- which makes me want to bring art thats more vibrant and crisp. More of a Cel-shaded look.

My game plan with this was to bring some of my traditional work like you suggested that I think might have a cross over appeal, but with the month that I have I really want to try and bring some more cartoony or chibi stuff to have a bit more ground covered. I can ink cartoon already by hand in black and white, but I just need advice on how to digitally ink and color this stuff just to get it finished.

I know I probably am biting off a lot, but a month is one twelfth of an entire year. If I dedicate all of my time to this I don't see any excuse to not get it done.

>> No.9949445

>>9949383
Unless you're a Renaissance master-level prodigy, this is a stupid plan. Did you master traditional painting in a month? Traditional inking? No? What makes you think you can master a digital program and use of a tablet in a month? Just work traditionally and digitize it for your first convention. Your digital masterpieces can wait until you graduate from GIMP, which is honestly embarrassing to see on an artist alley board in 2018.

>> No.9949455

>>9949383
>>9949158

Anon. Find a friend with a scanner.

Make art, beautiful traditional art, with whatever of your fav mature character that's trending right now. Pick something like Bayonetta and do photorealistic nudes with a wedding background.

Have friend photograph or scan your traditional ink painting.

Take that to the print shop. Touch up for colour correction and print prints.

Bring both the traditional painting and the prints. Put a little post-it note on Bayonetta's naughty bits and put the prints under the table. The neckbeards want to see it, they gotta buy the print. Sell. Watch money roll in.

If it's an anime con, why are you trying to do flat simple graphics for the kiddies that have whatever piddly allowance their parents gave them, when instead you can make buckets selling gorgeous nudes to neckbeards of their fictitious waifus that don't exist?

>> No.9949489
File: 539 KB, 908x926, simple.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9949445
I had originally typed up a long thing, but part of why it takes years to master traditional mediums is because they fight you every step of the way. Coming from a traditional background it should be exponentially faster to make things on a computer. I'm only trying to start with cute simple things that are well designed. Nothing ambitious. Merely cell shaded and acceptable. Small, but professional in presentation.

As far as gimp goes if you can suggest something better then do it. It seems like youre more interested in being condescending. I knew going in people shit on it. I've already considered the creative cloud using a student discount. I just am evaluating my options. You should also learn to judge people by their work. Not their tools. If anything, good work done with inferior tools shows potential at the very least.

>>9949455
I appreciate your advice because its sound and well intentioned but Im not interested in painting nudes right now. It isnt a bad idea. If done tastefully. Maybe I will do that in the future.

Would just about any printer do these days at 300dpi+? I absolutely plan on bringing some of my best ink pieces. I just want a few colorful things as well so people have a choice.

All I'm asking for is a program that I can make simple designs in like this. It hardly even justifies being called art. It's more mechanical than anything else. It's more about the line art being interesting and clean. I feel like anyone should be able to make this in a week.

>> No.9949522

>>9949383
>>9949489
Anon. Digital is a medium like oil or watercolours. You're probably gonna have a head start if you can already draw, but it's not as simple as click and done. Can something like your image be done in GIMP? Yeah. Will you be able to do it nicely and efficiently when you have no experience with digital? Eeeeh.

I also don't understand why you want to do a cel shaded simplistic style so much. It doesn't sell better than paintery works, especially on items such as prints. Why not just do what you're good it? It would work exponentially better with half the hassle. People mostly care about the subject matter when it comes to fanart, not so much the art style (though that helps too).

>> No.9949535

>>9949489
I do encourage you to try out digital, and my program of choice is Clip Studio Paint, but a month is still very little. I work both traditionally and digitally, and digital tools gives you a heap of "shortcuts", to put it that way, in that there's no setup, you can undo mistakes, save and try out different variants and adjustments and so on.

But it's still a very versatile, powerful tool with different methods than you're used to, and that always takes time to get used to. For your first con I would just go with what you're good at, it's easier to learn how to scan well and touch up in a short time. What little I've tried out with Gimp was that it's user interface was a pain. Clip Studio Paint has a free monthly trial iirc, I recommend checking that out.

>> No.9949555

>>9949489
NYART but you should also expect condescending responses when you post on here. Tbh I think everyone has been incredibly generous with you. As for programs, consider pirating or using a trial version. Since apparently you only have a month, that's a perfect trial length. I emphasize that I agree with other anons on the board that you should stick to traditional or else you'll risk having shitty results in terms of quality of work and quantity of sales. However, if you insist on going down this path, I really don't think you should pay for something you may throw away in a month because you realize it's not for you.

>> No.9949556

>>9949489
Do you have experience using drawing tablets or is this something else you're trying to learn in a month?

>> No.9949557

>>9949489
Don't forget to post progress pics in a month

>> No.9949573
File: 85 KB, 625x347, 1392584334166.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9949557
Considering their attitude so far I'm starting to guess the situation is close to pic related.

>> No.9949576

is there a market for domed resin art pins and keychains and shit or are enamel and acrylic charms the standard in aa? looking for a cost effective way to do small runs of charms but don't want to look like a poorfag.

>> No.9949587

>>9948196
LOOK

THIS IS THE WRONG FUCKING THREAD. There's an artist alley thread for a reason this has got fuck all to do with bags and now it's derailed into how shit people's art is instead

>> No.9949588

>>9949587
...what?

>> No.9949590

>>9949587
>this has got fuck all to do with bags
Are YOU in the wrong thread?

>> No.9949610

>>9949489
you sound like you're TRYING to read as a hoity toity fine arts wanker and yet you're shocked that people aren't coddling you and sucking your dick about ~*putting the art into artist alley*~.

also
>in a week
something like pic attached would take any competent digital illustrator 2 hours, max

>> No.9949709

>>9949158
Getting on the waiting list is basically a rejection these days. Why do you assume you'll get in? Unless you know someone or are friends of a friends higher up in the con.
Out of being put on 10 waiting lists, I only ever got off 1 (that was lottery--forget it if it's juried).

>> No.9949721

>>9949489
So... wait, I showed up late. This guy posted a question about how to get rid of the white line using the paint bucket, essentially, an anon answered him, and then he answers back that he's not going to use that advice because "quick results and partially so other people have a laugh and possibly chime in" and then devolves into vague condescension about which program he should be using while explaining he's got to learn it in a month. Anons who are most likely experienced at Artist Alley give more advice but he continues to claim he knows better and his idea is better. Do you understand the concept of asking for feedback? Bro could have just taken the advice about the white line and walked away.

Look if you're going to do what you want anyway then just go fucking do it, don't waste your time here trying to "win" an argument about it. You can make good art in ANY program, even GIMP, if you learn the software well enough. And if you are still too new to digital then your art will look noobish even if you use the highest quality software. So just go and make your life mistake and learn from it. No one here is going to agree that learning a program in a month to make and sell simple stickers is better than representing yourself with the art that already sells to people for "decent amounts of money".

>> No.9949745
File: 119 KB, 500x797, janemai.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9949158
>so other people have a laugh

>>9949489
>how dare you have a laugh

You could have done simplistic traditional stickers scanned, edited, and had them all printed by now you fool.

>> No.9949756

>>9949489
You could get some acetate too, Do some real inking on cels then use acrylic on the back for your cel shading. You got the oil painting down for backgrounds, do the scanning and use the background more than once.

>> No.9949788

>>9949587
What the fuck. Are you lost, anon?
>>9949489
>>9949721
Yeah, this guy is fucking insufferable to read. It's pretty obvious he's just in it to pander and get some extra AA buck from "my animu" and "fandoms". I think >>9949573 hit the nail on the head.

>> No.9949869
File: 3.77 MB, 4032x3024, 20180721_171335.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone know who the artist that did these charms are? I really like their art and wanted to buy more but I forgot to grab a business card :c. Could anyone help please?

>> No.9949890

Recently found out another artist I thought I was on good terms with has been shit talking me to artists behind my back. I'm pretty bummed about it, but there's not really anything I can do.

>> No.9949894
File: 51 KB, 600x416, C0649B21-D6DC-45B7-989C-1AD6C8DF3DFD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Where do you guys get your omanjuu made? I’m assuming I’ll be using Alibaba for this, but I couldn’t find what I was looking for when I searched omanjuu or anime cushion. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>> No.9949901

>>9949890
Welcome to Artist Alley, enjoy your stay. Trust no one because honestly everyone is talking shit about each other.

>> No.9949907

>>9949890
Does this artist shit talk other people to you? Don't be like >>9949901, if you don't talk shit and you seek friends who do not talk shit you aren't going to get backstabbed like that. If you talk shit yourself and you attract shit talkers.. don't be surprised you get shit talked.

>> No.9949930

So I have an aquaintance who does not great AA art. She often posts about how she doesn't understand why her art doesn't sell, why can't she make money, why does she try, woe is me type of stuff. She has a lot of friends I guess and people often comment back how they love her art and she shouldn't give up, her stuff is incredible etc. But of course it's not, so rinse and repeat. She even started complaining about how people tell her to keep going when her art doesn't sell...

The thing is she never tries to change or improve her art, and it's probably because of all the fake ass pats. I don't want to bring her down, but I think some real honest art critique would really help her improve. Things such as pointing out what she should work on, what works, what doesnt, heavily suggesting going back to the fundamentals, etc. Not shitting on her but think art school critique.

But just like everyone else I am afraid of telling these things to her, in fear of her reaction. She has a history of complaining about people being mean to her. I wish there was a way to just help her anonymously. This person is genuinely asking for help and doesn't understand what's wrong. All the asspats are just making it harder for her to deal with the disconnect.

>> No.9949944

>>9949890
In my experience, theres a ton of people in the AA who are total bitches and love to complain about each other for super petty reasons. As >>9949907 said, find friends who don't talk shit about other people. I mean obviously everyone will gossip about the big happenings or vent about their bad AA neighbors or something, but stay away from people who nitpick personalities or don't like X just because their art sucks or they hate their ships or something stupid. My AA friends are shittalk free and I know that with confidence because if we have an issue we will confront it to each other's faces and talk it out. Be honest and kind and you'll find other people like you.

>> No.9949953

>>9949890
Oof, that sucks anon. Do you know what they're saying at all? Is it something totally baseless?

If you still want to maintain a friendship with this person, I would just confront them about it and ask what made them say stuff like that. If you don't, I'd just unfollow them and not speak to them again.

>> No.9949954

>>9949869
If no one responds here, try AANI they’re pretty good at IDing art

>> No.9949958

>>9949930
Is she someone you consider a friend? If she is, try to give some suggestions and tips about the basics, butter her up by giving the usual pointers about stuff she does well and what works, compared to what she needs to to improve on.

If she's not your friend and she's easily upset or offended when someone are direct when helping, I wouldn't bother. It's her loss if she's not good at taking critique, and it'll be even harder for you if you're close enough friends so she knows you're well intended.

>> No.9949959

>>9949930
Depends on how much you care about this person. You said "acquaintance" and not friend, so i guess ask yourself how much energy you want to spend on her and how much you would care if she blocked you.

Generally speaking, i do not offer advice to people unless they ask me personally. If she doesn't know you exist but you think you're a good resource, you can DM her (or leave her a reply on twitter or w/e social media you use) saying you're open to giving advice but it will be honest and that you can stop giving it any time too but you're a resource for her any time and you'd like to help.

If she responds and asks with an open mind, then do your thing. If she just says thanks and never asks for your advice, that's a sign that she doesn't really want help and you'd be better off leaving her alone and do whatever she's doing.

>> No.9949998

>>9949954
I'm sorry but what's AANI? Sorry I don't go on here very often.

>> No.9950041 [DELETED] 
File: 25 KB, 149x164, i see.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9949901
>>9949907
What's the truth? I'm going to soon start selling on etsy, and then hopefully use the stuff there to get into kawaii kon next year (my only option since planes in and out of my state are pricey) and I just wanna make friends with artists. I don't want any of that backstabby junk, I just wanna have fun and get along with everyone. How do I know who to trust?

>> No.9950049

>>9949958
>>9949959
She's more like a not close friend. At first I didn't really care but I am seeing the posts over and over, and her friends are not helping her at all by being overly nice.

But I also don't want to directly involve myself in this either because I just don't want to deal with a possible bad reaction, personally. I wish she would just post somewhere for anonymous advice that is just on her art, not her as a person.

>> No.9950062

>>9950049
Maybe make a fake account to message her (under a pseudonym)?

>> No.9950077

>>9950049
Though it is a pretty natural response to want to help someone, they're not going to accept help unless they want help. If she hasn't gone seeking out advice on how to improve, your words will probably fall on deaf ears. You can do what >>9950062 said and make another account to send a message, but that might drive her into a rage- I have no idea what kind of person your acquaintance is, so it could not happen to, but just a warning. If you can deal with that then go for it, but if it were me I'd just watch out for my own skin and not get involved.

>> No.9950078

>>9949998
Facebook group. Artist Alley International or something along those lines.

>> No.9950103

>>9950049
Hm. Well in this case I would ask what you hope to gain from this interaction.

See if it were a good friend, i would want to tell them openly and honestly because I genuinely want them to improve. And if they are a good friend, i expect them to not explode because what's the use of such a crappy friend?

So she's not a good friend, but it doesn't seem like you want to be closer friends with her either because if you did you wouldn't want to be anonymous. So do you want her to actually genuinely get better or do you just want her to shut up? If you just want her to shut up, i advise you just mute her instead of thinking about these convoluted schemes.

>> No.9950119

>>9950103
NAYRT but some people have empathy and enjoy seeing others improve/succeed.

>> No.9950140

>>9950103
Well duh that's why i wanted to understand if anon wants to see her improve genuinely with no ulterior motive.

If I were in their situation i wouldn't be thinking about weird schemes, i would just do it like I said >>9949959 here. If i have to plan all the way into making an anonymous account then I know deep in side this person doesn't want to improve already, so I'm wondering if that's what anon actually feels already. If so, don't waste your time. Plenty of artists out there who would love advice, if you need to go to these lengths instead of just being upfront, maybe.. don't bother. Is what I'm saying.

>> No.9950195

For the new CDTFA seller's permit app, what are you guys putting down for the "suppliers" record stuff? Just your info again, or say, if you're getting prints from Catprint, their address and number?

>> No.9950225

>>9950195
I use zaps mainly, and I literally put down their address.
It was weird, but I guess that was my only option, and it’s not like I had to look up their address or anything it’s like plastered on their front page.

>> No.9950231
File: 194 KB, 1023x707, 0B615392-F032-436D-AA89-41C98A4421C5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I’m planning some special seasonal charms for Halloween and some for winter, but since I’m releasing them for only two months, I was thinking about adding .50 cents onto my normal charm price, to amplify the “special seasonal edition” feeling to the charm or whatever.
Has anyone done this before? Does this sound dumb?

>> No.9950243

>>9950225
Sounds good, thanks anon. And yeah, I just got weirded out too since this is my first time filling the forms out after they revamped the site, so that part threw me for a loop.

>> No.9950244

>>9950078
Alright I'll try there as well! Although I'm not sure if they'll let me join to group and make a post about it because i'm not an artist :/

>> No.9950252

>>9950231
Fifty cents sounds like rookie numbers, anon. Pimp them up to justify bumping prices even higher while also getting some help with the whole limited edition deal.

>> No.9950260
File: 11 KB, 385x355, Nl1DC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Whats the most $$$ youve ever made at a one day event? My profits have almost doubled this year compared to previous years and Im not really sure why.

>My profits in the past for local 1 day anime cons
>Average $100-$300 per event in my beginning years
>about $600 each event last year
>over $1000 for my most recent one days this year. One almost $1200, the other $1400

Im curious whats "normal" for others. I though 600 was great for last years, pretty surprised with my profits this year tb h

>> No.9950261

>>9950231
I actually really like the idea and think you could slap a couple more dollars (i.e if your charms usually sell for $10 sell for $14), i'd just really make it obvious that they're 'limited run', maybe number each charm as being part of an edition.

>> No.9950262

>>9950260
I have a one day event that I usually make 2k-3k at, it's marketed as an fanart buying sort of event though. I think 600 for most artists is fine for a one day event, I normally only going to them to sell off left over stock so there's not really any cost aside from table for me.

>> No.9950398

>>9950103
>So do you want her to actually genuinely get better or do you just want her to shut up?
It could easily be both, it's frustrating seeing people wanting to improve but having no idea how to do so and staying delusional about their level of work. I agree with what others are saying though, if you're thinking this hard about it then you already know they want asspats and not help.

>> No.9950726

Do you guys need a trader's license/seller's permit to sell at artist alley? Do they even check?

I'm stressing out because I sell stuff online. I hope to do a convention this year, but these kind of things confuse me.

>> No.9950729

>>9948586
Sketches can have a certain energy/flow/aesthetic to them that's often lost in translation to the finished product.

>> No.9950744

>>9950726
>Do you guys need a trader's license/seller's permit to sell at artist alley? Do they even check?

95% of cons do not care.

>> No.9950785

>>9950726
Some cons check and will ask for them to be emailed or for you to bring an extra copy. That's mostly the big cons. Legally yes you should have them but in a lot of cases, if you're not making all that much money, they wouldn't require you to have one anyway.

>> No.9950800

Any canadians have luck signing up for a permit after the BOE revamp? Last I checked, if seemed unavailable.

>> No.9950820

>>9950726
Depends on the con. The bigger cons have been getting more strict recently

>> No.9950822

>>9950260
It completely depends on the con. 1 day at Fanime or AX is going to be dwarf most other cons.

>> No.9951014

How do you deal with "antis"? Anyone ever get a call out post made about them on tumblr? Someone went on my NSFW blog that I have right in the info that it's 18+, and screencapped a bunch of things in trying to twist my words and saying I'm a danger to be around at cons due to that I draw "hard kinks." They threw around terms like transphobic and racist too since I draw some nsfw art of POC and trans characters (Poison) ... Because I'm therefore making them a fetish and thus I'm racist and transphobic.

Also my art is more on the side of softcore too with just suggestive poses and little clothing. They consider it hard though because I draw leash and collars (which makes me advocate for abuse in their eyes). I've never even shown genitals before.

I'm kind of freaking out by this in thinking it's going to ruin me.

I made one well thought out reply to their callout post, and they hid the response and blocked me.

Anyone ever deal with something like this before? Did anything seriously bad happen as a result?

I deleted a whole bunch of stuff on my blogs, took down all my commission info, and I'm just no longer going to use that site, but the fact that their post is being spread around still gives me anxiety.

>> No.9951034

>>9951014
Shit anon that really sucks. When I hear stuff like this it makes me not want to open up a NSFW blog, or even continue using tumblr (but I feel like no other social media is best for cartoon art like tumblr).

But you gotta realise that no matter what you do, tumblr is gonna get offended, if you decide to remake, only post SFW art, and be be very careful when posting anything not art related 'cause they love to drag old posts, and use out of context to cause drama.

>> No.9951060

>>9951014
I think your best bet is to not panic and make a post informing people about what's happening. I don't think you should worry too much since it looks like that person is making a big deal out of nothing and people can usually catch onto that.
which happens a lot on tumblr, especially with NSFW artists.
Telling you right now that tumblr is not a great place for nsfw artists, I know quite a few artists that have deleted their blogs/private their art over the years due to tumblr being super intolerant and bullying them into doing so.

>> No.9951062

>>9951014
Tumblr is a bunch of kids who hate seeing kinky stuff and will call out anything if they dont like it. You're not gonna run into people like them at cons unless you're well known for being a shithead. You're fine. People are a little more chill about this on Twitter

>> No.9951092

>>9951014
>I deleted a whole bunch of stuff on my blogs, took down all my commission info, and I'm just no longer going to use that site,

First of all, don't ever do that. That's exactly what they wanted and now that they've seen it's effective, they will go harder on you. They want to erase you, because they don't like your ship, or your kink, or they're just pathetic and jealous. Unless you're doing something that's actually illegal or against the rules of a site then you're not doing anything wrong. I'm an artist who draws smut that's much harder than what you're describing and even though multiple people have tried to start shit with me, I haven't really felt any effects from it.

There's currently a trend of people who identify themselves as queer who are trying to force other people out of fandoms, usually because of shipping. They hide it by calling other fans transphobic and racist and fetishist. The truth is that they just want to bully people because it makes their dicks hard. They can't lose because they position themselves as if they have the moral high ground. Don't give them any satisfaction.

>> No.9951117

>>9951014
>I made one well thought out reply to their callout post, and they hid the response and blocked me.

No no no, no, no. Don't ever do that.

Literally just ignore them. The moment you acknowledge them they have power over you.

t. someone who used to get called out from dumb antis and replied like a dumbass, making it into a bigger issue than it had to be, and since learning to ignore those types 100% has never had a problem since.

>> No.9951145

>>9951034
I thought if I put enough disclaimers, I'd be ok. But I guess that doesn't even work anymore lol

>>9951060
I honestly hope everything on that site gets nuked, especially if this is a reoccurring problem with artists
>>9951062
I think I'll make a Twitter then, thanks!
>>9951117
>>9951092
So am I screwed since it's too late now? Stuff is already deleted, and I said I don't want to be using a platform that isn't accepting of content that I create, so I have no problem leaving. Which is true. This whole thing made me not want to continue using it, but it is kind of annoying to know how smug and successful they feel and are probably just going to bully more people now.

>There's currently a trend of people who identify themselves as queer who are trying to force other people out of fandoms, usually because of shipping.

It's also interesting because the first thing that op started with was my main ship and how it's abusive. Then they went into throwing all the phobics and ist's around.

>> No.9951186

>>9951145
>I thought if I put enough disclaimers, I'd be ok. But I guess that doesn't even work anymore lol

These people don't care if you warn. They don't want the content to exist at all. They don't like your ship, probably because it conflicts with theirs, so they manufactured multiple excuses for why it is bad because they wanted to eliminate you and anyone who ships it. It's the new kind of ship war where people are willing to make efforts to ruin you in real life in order to scare you away from the internet so that their ship will get more popular as people are more fearful to ship anything else. These people even use warning tags to FIND content they hate in order to shit on it, and will troll through the tags for ships they hate in order to find new people to shit on, instead of just ignoring it like a regular person who doesn't like something.

You've already fucked up because they'll use the fact that you deleted as an example that you knew you were doing something wrong. Maybe you can start again with a private twitter, if you don't like tumblr, or just something locked so you know who you are letting into it? I know it feels shitty to get hate like that but next time, don't knee jerk, sit back and watch and don't react publicly. If it seems like it's going to escalate on its own, report them for harassment. They're not reasonable people and it's never worthwhile to have a dialogue directly with anyone who is willing to harass and bully someone else over a fictional ship.

>> No.9951198

>>9951014
My policy with antis is to block and ignore. At most, I would write a general damage control post (that's not directed at anyone; avoid giving antis attention) if I feel like the call out is spreading too far.

Honestly, I'm sick and tired of having the burden of being morally perfect placed on what are usually queer WOC. Antis rarely go after actual cis white men because they're not as easy targets.

>> No.9951225
File: 14 KB, 184x184, 80BC922D-8652-40B9-8C82-BB48B898830C.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do you guys stay inspired to create illustrations and stuff? I’m having such a hard time getting back into drawing, looking at my fav artists is great but I always end up feeling bad that I can’t draw as well as them..

How do I get out of this attitude

>> No.9951250

So I have a mutual that I’m not very close to and I’d rather unfollow and start to disassociate with. I’ve heard from people that either know this artist irl or have interacted with them (people I trust) that this artist tends to use people that they get close to. I’ve personally felt kind of like this before as well, but in general I don’t really want to interact with them. They frequently post a lot of cheesy cliche messages that kind make me cringe which is what is prompting me to actually just go ahead and unfollow. My only issue is that I’m in a group chat of a few of my AA friends with them and it feels weird if just unfollow them?

>> No.9951252

>>9951225
The #1 motivator for me is money honestly, lol. I basically exclusively draw merch nowadays and putting forth effort is easier when I know there will be a payoff.

Outside of that... Hmm. Well, I know my art production went way way up when I started being happy with where my art level was. Not complacent, just happy, but knowing I have much to improve. I think having a level of happiness and confidence with your own skills is a very good and productive thing, and maybe reminding yourself that you're a good artist can help motivate you. On the other end, a big driver for me is also the desire to improve, and I know that I can only get better if I draw so I just draw.

>> No.9951264
File: 240 KB, 626x340, ef4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9951014
>someone on tumblr called me transphobic and racist
Ah, I remember my first day on tumblr too.

>> No.9951278

>>9951198
Yeah, your second paragraph is totally spot on. Even though the take this thread usually gives w/r/t this kind of situation is “ohh SJWs and tumblr are always gonna get mad, never mind those crazy people”, >>9951014 situation and an overall trend in fandom right now is that certain people have figured out how to coopt the language of legitimate concerns and issues to target people who haven’t done anything wrong.

like, the majority of people who are concerned about racism, transphobia, abuse etc aren’t crazy or irrational or vendetta because regardless of what 4chan thinks those are real issues, but people who *are* out to get others and attack/vendetta have discovered that can be an effective attack plan (especially if it’s someone who does care about those issues and know they’re real problems — like people who are part of marginalized groups, ESPECIALLY queer women of color.)

Tl;dr It sounds like a disingenuous person coopted social justice language for their vendetta. I would ignore them if I were you, anon, if you get a decent amount of exposure and advertising from tumblr. Hell if you want you can make a post about what this anon wrote in that last paragraph, because a lot of people are catching on to this these days and would understand.

>> No.9951283

>>9951250
Just do it lol, what’s the worst they could do to you for an unfollow? Nothing. I doubt anyone else in the chat will care or notice

>> No.9951287
File: 342 KB, 1141x687, 893EFA44-397B-449E-A34B-7F50579712C0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9951225
My sales. I’ve been growing rapidly here recently and I debuted three charm designs this weekend and made $3k in profit. It’s like all my dreams are finally in sight, and no longer just make believe.

>> No.9951326

>>9951014
Juryist anon, here.

We were really excited to get an app in from someone with REALLY good art who had more adult themed items. Mostly pin ups with bondage, softcore but nothing too bad on prints, some doujin too. Both male and female characters. They were fast track green lighted to the final judging table, and stayed there through five rounds of cuts largely because of how excited we were to have that kind of content represented at the con. We're a smaller con and don't get apps like that very often, and when we do they're rarely of that quality (and pretty much never include dudes).

A full month after jury results were announced, we got a fucking LONG email from a concerned/enraged attendee, detailing everything they thought was inappropriate to see at the convention, including an extensive gallery of screenshots from the artists tumblr and Instagram.

Like... who has the time??

What did they think we were going to do? Clearly if they had made it through the jury process we already knew what kind of content they draw and had accepted it.

From the convention side of things, I can pretty much guarantee you're not going to see repercussions for this kind of attack. We know crazy when we see it, and >>9951278 is entirely on the nose about the malicious motivation behind these kinds of co-opting fake concerns.

>> No.9951410

>>9950800
mine is fine, what issues are you having?

>> No.9951432

Anyone here done Bronycon in the last couple years? Specifically last year when the attendance dropped. I'm vending there for the first time this week as my first "big" con and I have no idea what to expect. Someone suggested I bring 3x whatever I would consider my normal stock to be.

I'm very new at this, my first vendor con ever was Everfree earlier this year where I made about $1200 before any deductions for starting up. After that a friend of mine took my work to High Roller Ponycon and I literally only made $40 in sales, but I heard almost everyone struggled there due to extremely poor attendance (200-300 people). I guess it's just making me nervous about doing well at Bronycon. I've expanded from prints into dakis for this con so I've put a lot of money into it (I feel my designs are good enough to compete at a high price point at least) but I just can't shake the feeling. I don't know what people want to buy at Bronycon, or how much to bring.

>> No.9951438

>>9951225
Make it routine, try to set aside time each day to at least draw some simple studies even if you don't feel like it. You don't need to force yourself to be creative and draw fancy stuff, it's better to draw something that's purely technical practice because you don't set any expectations to it, you don't need to finish it, and you don't need to spend that much time on it. I agree with >>9951252 that my motivation went up when my skill got better, and while your skill won't get better unless you practice, every little bit helps, including figure and gesture drawings.

Another motivation is necessity and deadlines.
I made the mistake of signing up for too many fanzines a couple of months ago, and while it was good going for a while I got completely burnt out a few weeks ago. But deadlines are drawing near, so I have no choice but to pick it up and draw, at least a little every day, and I'm starting to get used to it again.

>> No.9951455

>>9950822

I mean one day only events not just one day of a regular weekend con. Unless Fanime/AX does separate one day events throughout the year . I dont know because Im not in the USA

>> No.9951565
File: 125 KB, 960x820, octopieaatable.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i have two questions, can i join the discord if i'm doing my first table in a few months?
also, the wire cubes that stand upright (pic related)
i'm wondering how they are attached to the table in a sturdy way? they seem really unstable so i'm wondering what methods are used to keep them in place and able to support weight.

>> No.9951590

>>9951014

For this kind of stuff you really have to consider who is making the call out. If it's some random blog with like 5 followers and the post doesn't have that much traction, just ignore it. Acknowledging it calls attention to it, which could affect your image negatively if nobody even knew about it to begin with. I have multiple call out posts about myself floating around, but they have less than like 300 notes on tumblr or 100 likes on twitter. Some people just have a vendetta, nobody has ever confronted me about it in person at cons and it doesn't seem to affect my sales at all.

It feels bad and it sucks to know that people are literally talking shit on you or making up lies, but the best thing you can do is block them and try not to bring attention to it.

>> No.9951730

>>9951250
Just mute them, if you MUST unfollow you should soft block instead. Web ettiquitte 101.

>> No.9951898

>>9951590
>I have multiple call out posts about myself floating around
wow. what do you do?

>> No.9952006
File: 53 KB, 500x334, tumblr_inline_nrrruobvLV1qa3di1_500.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9951565
I think if you email with images of merch you plan to make and sell and explain your situation you should be fine.

As for the grid cubes, people don't really secure them. They're usually setup in a way where they're physically stable because they've been given cube 'feet'.

>> No.9952014

>>9951565
>>9952006
When I used grids for my cube I would zip-tie the corners for extra security. Kind of annoying to cut them all off at the end of the weekend, but worth the peace of mind.

>> No.9952072

>>9951565
>>9952006
I store extra merch and personal items inside the cube feet, which weights the display down quite sturdily. I've never had one fall over. I HAVE had the top 5-square-wide display area come detached in the middle before though - I might take >>9952014 's approach but with velcro zip ties next time around.

Word of advice, get the polypropylene (plastic) cubes instead of the wire grid cubes. Wire cubes are HEAVY.

>> No.9952120

>>9952006
Ooh I see, thank you so much for the diagram!!
>>9952014
>>9952072
Yes right now I have the wire cubes, I didn’t know they sold the plastic ones.. but since it’s a local on i might not have to worry about weight, I think? also going to get some zip ties..
thank you guys so much for solid answers!

>> No.9952141
File: 33 KB, 600x337, A7C19F1C-8A86-43CA-9397-D14B6ACD327D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A guy left me a one star review on Etsy on one of my charms because the actual keychain wasn’t “strong enough”.
He said that I probably just use cheap material because it means more profit for me, when that’s not even really the case.
I already sell my 3” double sided charms from zaps for only $13, I honestly am not looking for only “maximizing profits” like he said.
I’m gonna cry.
Not once did he try contacting me first or even ask for a replacement.. I just reached out to him asking if I could send him a replacement for free but honestly I feel like he’d just accept the replacement and not even update the review.
This is so frustrating..

>> No.9952153

>>9952141
Would you be opposed to dropping their username so the rest of us can cancel orders if it's from this guy?

>> No.9952158

>>9952153
Seconding this. Fuck that guy. Though my personal experience with etsy has been great, a lot of my friends get these shit customers. Honestly maybe if the stress is too much look into making your own webpage like some other anons have recommended in the past.

>> No.9952164
File: 193 KB, 1500x2000, E3CFDE6A-57B4-42C8-AE35-2297206BF800.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9952153
tstarks33 was the username he used.
I mean I have 48 reviews in total and except for his they’re all five star, but this really bothered me. I mean I’m in Etsy store not a professional producer with my own factory or whatever.. any suggestions on what I should say as my response to the 1 star review on Etsy if he doesn’t end up upgrading it? I’ll probably put something along the lines of me not being my own factory like I mentioned and put a link to the keyrings I bought off of amazon so other people can see what I use (and read the other great reviews off of amazon.)

>> No.9952176
File: 975 KB, 500x261, Anime-Gifs-30.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9952164
Maybe something like:
"I'm so sorry that there was a defect with your item! Unfortunately, I'm a single person and not a factory, and when I put things together by hand there is definitely always a chance for error. I've sent you a message already about replacing the charm for you!
Please also know that I don't use cheap materials at all. I only use products and services with great feedback, even if they aren't the most cost effective, that's why I'm so concerned with your review, as that should definitely not be happening! "

And when you message him ask for a photo of the break if possible. You can frame it as wanting to know what to look out for in the future, and keeps you from potentially being scammed by someone who would leave a bad review for free stuff.

>> No.9952188
File: 366 KB, 1242x1027, BBD5F881-4AD9-4A53-940A-16B25D1A4993.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9952176
Thanks anon, this’ll really help and I’m probably going to recite some of this word for word.
The best part is that he never even said it broke, he just said “I wouldn’t trust it”.
If he broke it I would somewhat understand, but he literally just decided “oh I don’t even want to try and see if it’ll break let’s just leave a shit review”
?????????
Honestly, I might not even send him a replacement (he still hasn’t answered me back anyways) and I’ll just leave a response because I wouldn’t be surprised if he was just wanting free stuff. It’s so shitty.
And the worst part to me is that this was a brand new design I released and I managed to ship them off the next morning after staying up half the night to package all the orders (I had like 75) , because I wanted to show that they shipped super fast, and this is what the guy leaves me a bad review for? A keychain attachment that hasn’t even broken yet?

>> No.9952195

>>9952164
>>9952188
I think this is a common issue. Here's two item samples. Right side, the little tongue on the clip snapped. This makes some sense, since the mechanism inside likely has a spot weaker than the solid outer frame. Left side, the outer frame itself sheared off outright.

People overestimate the stress tolerance of keychain clips, if you ask a nibba you'll get something like 'idk its metal, should hold about 3kg ?' when in reality it is nowhere near that.

Customer returning these is a hiker and used the clip to hold an 1 liter water bottle. One of the clips failed after a few hours, the second lasted about 30min tops.

The reason you aren't getting a good description of when/how the failure occured in their reviews is, because the expectation on durability differs so much, the customer will be 100% confident it is a product issue and not a handling issue.

I recommend offering a 'camping carabiner keychain' option or similar, if you are able.
You can then point out it is them cheaping out by going for the weaker keychain. Upselling is good hehe.

>> No.9952198
File: 381 KB, 2592x1944, IMG0149A.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9952195
Please excuse, forgot the picture.

>> No.9952211
File: 334 KB, 1242x1133, C235DC24-DDC5-431F-A9CE-9CA5783ADE26.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9952195
I think I will offer that option as a “maximum military upgrade keychain” or something dramatic like that. But I literally only attach these keyrings, so by default I think everyone should know they’re not going to be maximum durability? This whole thing was just kinda silly. I don’t even advertise my charms as keychains, but “acrylic art charms”. (I literally don’t put they word “keychain” anywhere on my product because I think that word makes them sound insignificant, plus people kept telling me “oh how’s your keychain business doing” and that was making me feel stupid and insignificant) I also wanted to point that factor out, but it sounds a little petty.
So yeah I could understand if like a class broke or was nonworking, but considering the keyrings I use are already pretty basic Is what confused me. Like what exactly were you expecting..?

>> No.9952254

>>9952141
Its ok anon, it happens to all of us. I was extremely upset over my first 1 star review too since it was also over a dumb reason. She said the wolf ears were too big.. even though I have a picture of myself wearing them in the listing so the size of obvious.

>> No.9952275

For the anons that do a lot of cons back to back how much do you bulk order of your merch?
Do you order order enough for several months, or do you try to order more often(like right after a con) so you're not stuck with stock that doesn't do as well as predicted?

I've finally gotten accepted into a lot of cons and am trying to figure out how much I should keep at home

>> No.9952328

>>9952188
What a fucking dumbass, is he so incompetent that he can't put the charm on a stronger keychain if he wants? what idiot thinks a review about a CHARM should be so strongly influenced by the chain attached to it?

>> No.9952334

>>9952211
Wow. That's particularly shitty of him especially since it didn't even break yet and those are perfectly normal keyrings. IMO at worst it would be 3 star because it's separate for the charm quality itself...

Honestly at 40+ 5 star reviews, I would just word a polite response like >>9952176 under the feedback section. Anyone going through your reviews would see how unreasonable it sounds like, and plus you're not bending over backwards for someone who probably doesn't give a crap about money grubbing sellers who try to rip him off with ~cheap materials~

>> No.9952341

>>9952188
Just wanted to extend my condolences for such a crappy review what the hell.

You already did the best possible thing by offering a replacement, even though this guy is a total tool. If he doesn't respond, absolutely do the reply thing and mention that it didn't even break and that he never asked for a replacement and that you offered one despite it not even breaking but he never responded and thank him for his compliments on the art. Basically, you're not really talking to him you're talking to all the other customers and "subtly" showing he's a fucking dumbass.

>> No.9952509
File: 780 KB, 1242x1859, E20C24E1-B5A3-4948-A683-DF8EB49AC320.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9952328
>>9952334
>>9952341
Thanks for all the advice you guys, I was really upset upon initially reciving the review. This was my response, and yeah a 1 star review sucks but I rather have made a response like this then send him a free replacement over the dumbest shit. I appreciate all you guys.

>> No.9952540

>>9952509
Your reply reads a little passive aggressive, but the guy was being unreasonable in the first place so it's not unwarranted. But if you want to look really professional, it's a good idea to have a little break in between writing the reply and posting it, so you can proof read it when you're a little calmer and get rid of any possible attitude that someone might latch on.
The guy was a shithead though, so I think you handled the situation pretty well for what it was.

>> No.9952649

>>9949907
>>9949944
>>9949953
I wasn't close friends with them, just someone I'd stop by and say hi to at cons, which made it doubly shocking to me since we've so rarely talked.
I'm mostly upset because I try to make friends with the artists I see a lot at cons, and now I'm worried that there will be people avoiding me simply because they heard bad things about me from this artist

>> No.9952683

>>9952509
I agree with >>9952540. For example, something like 'Thanks you for reviewing! I specifically call my work "charms" because the main focus is on the acrylic artwork, rather than its functionality as a keychain.' has a more informational tone while also dissolving you of wrong.

You also want to avoid directly accusing them of things (e.g. ignoring you). A positive way to put it would be 'I would have appreciated if you contacted me with the issue before leaving me a one star review because I strive for quality in my products. While I usually do not offer replacements for items that are not defects and have not been broken, I have reached out to you through email. I await your reply and hope we can reach a solution.'

But since you already wrote it, just keep it in mind for the future!

>> No.9952701

>>9952540
>a little passive aggressive
no it’s straight up lolol

>> No.9952704

>>9951014
you sure it's not because you draw cp

>> No.9952710

>>9952704
Yeah, pretty sure.

>> No.9952757

>>9952509
While it could be phrased better like others have said, it's by no mean BAD and as a customer i totally would understand why you sound irritated. Keep your head up, this will pass and this guy looks dumb af

>>9952649
No use in worrying. From your side of the story they sound like a person who habitually shit talks. And as you saw earlier, shit talkers make shit talker friends.

People who are nice and don't believe everything they hear will steer clear of these types on their own. Basically, for people who matter this will not have an effect on them. Don't let one acquaintance sour your view of things, look for people who don't do this and don't accept gossip as gospel.

>> No.9952801

>>9952649
Do you know what kind of stuff this person was saying about you? It seems odd to talk shit about a casual acquaintance unless they did something offensive.

>> No.9952823

>>9952801
ntayrt seems odd yes, yet some people do it.

Consider yourself blessed, you appear to have never met one of these people. Seriously all it takes for someone who's like this is "I'm pretty sure they gave me a dirty look from across a hallway this time and now they're on my shitlist"

>> No.9952834

>>9952801
Yea like >>9952823 said, i recently found out someone i don't even know has been shit talking me too. i don't think we were ever mutuals on any social media or even that close to me, but i guess the way i act just made them so mad they had to start bad mouthing me to other artists.

That person though? Turns out they bad mouth everyone and has jumped friend groups multiple times because their new friends eventually realize they are awful and kick them out of their group. In the end, they weren't even worth my time considering as a problem.

>> No.9952839

Is it disingenuous/bad form to use a logo from something in art that you're going to sell? It's not the title logo, it's just a design in the series, and I was thinking of using it as a background for some charms that already would have my own character art on it.

>> No.9952845

>>9952839
> logo
Trademarks HAVE to be enforced, so you're just asking to be c&d'ed.

>> No.9952848
File: 95 KB, 900x900, Mid-Childan_Circle.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9952845
Logo is maybe a bad term for it.

It's the magical circle from Nanoha.

>> No.9952878

>>9952823
>>9952834
I'm aware that shittalking happens regardless of what people do but I'm just wondering if it was about anything in particular or just unwarranted? Were they just saying anon was an unpleasant person or were there like Actual Things they pointed out? I want to know if this is a case where someone is just being a gossipy bitch or if it's something anon did wrong that's being blown out of proportion. Because if it's the latter, I feel like anon can take steps to clear up confusion/make amends. If it's the former - just ignore them and find better friends as everyone else pointed out.

>> No.9952879

>>9943269

Loooooooool thats a scary email. Sounds like they fucked up and now trying to fill the AA with anyone they can get. No offense anon

But be careful. I would reject if i were you

>> No.9952882

>>9952878
>I feel like anon can take steps to clear up confusion/make amends
Doubt it. If someone were a reasonable person they would bring it up with anon directly, not go around gossiping about how bad they are or whatever. Sounds 100% like someone who won't reason with you.

>> No.9952883

>>9952882
Eh, agree to disagree. Some people have private accounts to vent out their frustrations or confide in close friends about acquaintances. Doesn't necessarily mean they were trying to be maliciously vindictive.

>> No.9952884

>>9952883
"venting on private accounts or to personal friends" isn't the same as shittalking publicly about someone.

>> No.9952886

>>9947616

One theory as to why this happens is because sketches are high contrast vs. fleshed out full background and full color pieces with a lot to focus on.

But in reality likes and reblogs dont matter when it comes to money.
I had 2 art pieces which i made into prints. First one got 5k+ notes and the other got a little over 100 notes. The print with 100 notes sold out at the con and i only sold around 10 to 15 of the print with the 5k+ notes. Notes dont matter. Sales do.

>> No.9952889

>>9952884
Anon said that this person had talked about them to other artists. We have 0 context for how this happened. Unless you’re the anon in question, I don’t understand why you are immediately projecting onto the situation. I just asked for more context to give anon better advice.

>> No.9952988

>>9952848
This is something that I'd ask you to take down if I saw it while staffing, as it violates our tracing/copying rules even if it doesn't violate trademarks.

On something as small as a charm maybe no one on staff would care or notice, and fans of the show certainly won't care, so it's up to you whether the risk is small enough to go ahead and use it.

>> No.9953152

If anyone feels up to suddenly tabling this weekend and is near PA, someone on AANI is selling a table at SaikouCon.

>> No.9953154 [DELETED] 

>>9952848
Just use an open-source magic circle instead of draw your own? I'm pretty fond of Nanoha but I wouldn't care if it was this exact circle in art versus one you drew yourself or that was a free-to-use non-proprietary one.

>> No.9953156

>>9952848
Just use a free-to-use magic circle instead or draw your own? I'm pretty fond of Nanoha but I wouldn't care if it was this exact circle in art versus one you drew yourself or that was a free-to-use non-proprietary one.

>> No.9953440

>>9952757
Thanks anon, I will try not to let it worry me

>>9952801
A little bit, but most of what i heard was second hand and vague. I think the artist started shit talking because I'm friends with someone they dislike, but who knows.

>> No.9953595

>Really into the lolita fashion
>Wants to make my own fabric illustrated pattern
>Legit fear of spending days of working on it, weeks even, only to have literally everyone in RC and everywhere else go NOT BRAND NO INTERESTED.

Hmmm...

>> No.9953616

>>9953595
I think only the hardcore lolitas care about brands. I don't think my casual lolita friends can even name a lolita brand.

>> No.9953622
File: 219 KB, 1200x1200, my hero academia12.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Sold at MetroCon this past weekend
>First time selling ever
>Isn't best art, but definitely not worst
>Made $300 overall
>Table cost $250
>Didn't have to pay for weekend pass
Could I call this a success?

>> No.9953625

>>9953622

Yes, because you made back what you spent.
Yes, because you got in for free.
Big Yes if you had fun doing it.

>> No.9953640

>>9953625
Well not on stock. Just the phone charms were another $250, not to mention prints, mouse pads, and stickers.

>> No.9953647

>>9953640
So you made even more? Then yes. Good.

>> No.9953669

>>9953647
I think anon meant that they spent that much more, not earned. As in, only made back the table cost. So no profit actually?
>>9953622
Not sure if it's a financial success, but if you had fun doing it then definitely. My first three cons I didn't make enough to cover all material costs, but at my fourth con I ended up getting more than triple the amount and ended up profiting pretty nicely. Experience is key, as with everything. Helps if you're genuinely into it though, I ended up getting some loyal regular customers from my first con simply because I was really chatty and friendly with people who stopped by.

>> No.9953676

>>9953622
Hey, you had fun and you popped your AA cherry. That's a win. The first time is the hardest. Now you know what to expect for future cons. Good job, anon.

>>9953595
As long as it's not ugly, people will be interested. Are you going to sell the fabric or dresses made with the fabric? If it's dresses made with the fabric, kindly do some research so you don't become indie brand #4238 with cute prints and so not rori cuts.

I'm setting up a new Etsy shop just for my handmade stuff. If I go hunt for those referral codes that give me x free listings, does that benefit the other person in any way? I don't mind spending the 20 cents per listing and I'd rather not waste my time trying to find the free listing code or whatever it is if the other person isn't even getting anything out of it.

>> No.9953883

>>9953669
Thanks anon, helps a lot to know it's normal.

>> No.9953884

>>9953676
Both of you get 40 free listings (worth 8 dollars each)

>> No.9953908

>>9953884
Okay, that's actually great then. Good to know they're getting as much as I am. Don't you just hate those referral programs that give your friend like twice as much free shit as what you're getting for getting them to sign up?

>> No.9953964

I don't really sell charms often so I forgot to consider adding an extra layer of white, and one of my charms has her eyes open on one side and closed on the other. On the closed eye side, if you hold it up to the light, you can really see the outline of the open eyes on the other side.

I do want to sell these on discount, but how much should I discount them for? 33%? 50%? Manufacturing cost?

>> No.9953977

>>9953676
>If I go hunt for those referral codes that give me x free listings
hunt no further https://etsy.me/2OlO228

>> No.9954024

>>9953964
>if you hold it up to the light
You're overthinking it, sell them at full price. Your customers won't care. If it was a major artwork change, discounting them might be the only good option. But for eyes open/closed don't worry about it.

>> No.9954507

So have mechacon aa tables always come with a rape whistle?

>> No.9954539

>>9954507
What's the chisme on this?

>> No.9954601
File: 29 KB, 411x411, hnnnnGH.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

is it normal for an artist alleys to not allow table sharing? its our first AA at a local socal con so my gf and i wanted to put both of our stuff at one booth (because we dont really have too much merch planned to fill a table individually). buuut, we just got an email telling us we couldn't do that. could we just get away with it if we worked under one group name or are some cons actually going to check? anyone have experience with this?

>> No.9954622

>>9953964
Even with extra white, if I shine a bright enough light behind my charms, you can kinda see the back show through. If it looks okay normally, I wouldn’t worry anon.

>> No.9954623

>>9954601
Most people don't care enough to check unless you got really different styles or if someone hates you enough to snitch on you.

>> No.9954707

Any gulls done LA Comic Con before? How did it go for you?

>> No.9954791

>>9954601
just say its all your work and she's your helper ez pz
most people are too stupid to pick up on style differences unless one of you draws shoujo anime and the other draws musclebound western comic style

>> No.9954801

>>9954707
I think if you're in the AA you have an okay chance of doing good depending on how much you cater to normie tastes. The people who come are super normies so prints probably wont' sell well at all but stuff like charms and pillows will probably be more popular.

Don;t do exhibitor. Its way too expensive and not worth it.

>> No.9954840 [DELETED] 
File: 1.38 MB, 1334x750, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9944465

>> No.9954842
File: 1.38 MB, 1334x750, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9944425

>> No.9954846

>>9954707
I sold there last year.
sales-wise it was bad. They had 100k attendee and I only made 1k in sales (just in sales, not profit). i was selling stickers, notebooks, cups, charms, clocks (all anime fan art). Every year my sales get worse at LACC while table price increases.

I don't do prints, but from observing my neighbors last year, large prints weren't selling. i think at comic cons, art/comic enthusiasts are looking for very stylized art. not anime.

but LACC is the worst cause feels like 75% of the crowd were parents/family so they were looking for cheap durable merch or just browsing.

the table next to me sold disney princesses (face shot) on 4x6" print. art skill was... okay. prints were on a rack so you can grab as many. they were $3 each or 5 for $5. not a huge profit but it's something even i can whip up quick. anyways, they sold a ton (obviously the 5 for $5 bundle) and were always busy! They had boxes of those prints, 500 of each design. i don't know if they sold out but they said they would return for 2018.

>> No.9954869
File: 2 KB, 128x128, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When testing new designs how much do you order of each trinket? acrylic charms or etc. is there a minumum amount most people tend to stick to?

>> No.9955075

>>9954869
most charms and things like that have a minimum amount you have to order, i think most people just go with that. what amnt have you been considering?

also, would you guys buy tea towels? ones with goth shit on them?

>> No.9955287

>>9954869
imo if you don't think you can sell 10 of a design it's not worth making it, so, 10

>>9955075
I want to say yes re: teatowels because I would but I think most cons might be skewed to a younger age range than would make them profitable

>> No.9955303

>>9954507
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN GIVE US ANSWERS ANON

>> No.9955361

>>9955287
>>9955075
part of me feels like you can sell 10 or 25 of anything if youre patient enough. i was partially asking because some businesses give a discount per item. also can i get a yeet?

>> No.9955445

>>9955303
I'll deliver pics tomorrow anon.

>> No.9955711
File: 1.72 MB, 3264x1836, 20180729_102333.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9955303

>> No.9955741

>>9955711
I don't think i'd want to go to a con so dangerous that they have to hand out rape whistles.

>> No.9955766

>>9955741
That was my thought, too. I haven't heard anything about thefts being bad at this con, so I don't know why this idea came to fruition. It seems to put everyone on edge right from the beginning.

>> No.9955781
File: 247 KB, 500x375, 1469006158699.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9955711
>rape whistle with con branding

>> No.9955891
File: 2.90 MB, 290x189, 1342439004826.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>feel bad about only making 950 euros at 3 day con
>mfw i hear table next to me only made 120
>table cost was 100 euros

anyway it was bullshit, a con that gets as little traffic in the main dealers area as that has no business charging 100 for a table

>> No.9956013

>>9955711
How effective would a whistle like this be anyway

>> No.9956509

Do any of you trash old merch?

I have some old stickers and while there's nothing wrong with them, they -are- from when I first started tabling and I maybe sell one or two per convention anymore.
I've been selling them as discounted for a while and I feel like throwing them in free with online purchases would be weird since they're the only product I have left within that fandom, so they're kinda odd man out there too.
I probably still have 50-60 stickers left split between 5 designs and while I'd be happy to not look at them anymore, just throwing them out seems like a waste.

>> No.9956533

>>9956509
Some people have posted about throwing stuff away - even charms - and it always feels like a huge waste to me too.

If you have 5 designs and they're for one fandom, how about selling 5 for the price of 1?

>> No.9956592

Acceptances for AnimeNYC are finally going out. 1500 goddamn people applied.

>> No.9956616

>>9956509
Sometimes you just have to. We only live in so big of a house / apartment and things take up space. If i can re-use things like prints for scrap paper I try to. Stickers can be used to seal packages or decorate packages or when people buy them i double/triple them up to get rid of them. But sometimes it's just not plausible. Like hundreds of seconds pins or half decade (or even a full decade) old charms that don't move anymore, if they're obscure or for any number of reasons you sometimes have to just trash them.

Just don't post about it because last time someone tweeted the charms they had to trash everyone in this thread got all butt mad they were showing off how much money they could throw away or some shit. Do it quietly, no one who matters cares.

>> No.9956716

>>9956509
I've been agonizing over this too. I hate feeling like old stock is bringing down the overall quality of my table, and i've moved really far away from the style they were done in - plus I hate feeling like my table isn't 'new' enough when I do repeat cons. Some shit - especially charms - I have just too many to feasibly get rid off in lucky bags WHILE also dealing with new stock I test that turns out to be unsuccessful.

I have three more conventions before my season is over and i've decided at the end of it when I take inventory i'm going to be really ruthless and toss everything older than a year. I might offer up freebies privately, but as other anons have mentioned posting publically about it seems like a really bad idea. Some people don't get that if i've made $900 off a charm run that cost me $110, I don't care about the remaining $20 worth of stock, because they're picturing it as $200.

>> No.9956751

>>9956509
I just give old/bad merch away for free or extremely discounted to people at cons who have no money.

>> No.9956909

>>9956616
someone had a bin overflowing with pokemon charms i recall?

>> No.9957111

>>9956909
Yeah someone made like a big production over throwing away a heap of Pokemon charms, posting photos and tweeting about doing it. It wasn't necessarily the act of trashing old merch that was so bad, it was the showing it off that came across as in really poor taste.

>>9956509
You could also stick them into little "blind bags" for cheap, people love buying stuff like that.

>> No.9957341

>>9956509
Donate them to children's hospitals if you are going to toss them. Even if they won't know the characters, ot would still make them happy to get a "cartoon" trinket.

>> No.9959556

In your opinion, what's the best way to split 3d merch on the table when sharing while having the same fandoms but different art styles/themes?
Do you have your own separate charm displays, or do you mash them together in one single board and group them by fandom?

There's some overlap so I feel like we might cannibalize each other's sales, but I think a bundled deal would be easier to sell if potential customers can see it at a glance