[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 679 KB, 1100x733, venus_flytrap_primary.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11867356 No.11867356 [Reply] [Original]

'Plants have analagous structures, they have ways of taking all the sensory data they gather in their everyday lives, integrate it and then behave in an appropriate way in response. And they do this without brains, which, in a way, is what's incredible about it, because we automatically assume you need a brain to process information.'

https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-01-09/new-research-plant-intelligence-may-forever-change-how-you-think-about-plants

>> No.11867363

>>11867356
>plants are living things
holy shit someone tell the vegans

>> No.11867372

>>11867356
Wow, this is groundbreaking stuff, m8. Next you'll tell me cows aren't robotic automatons

>> No.11867391

so plants react to their environment? who knew.

>> No.11867395

>>11867363
>>11867372
>>11867391
Try the redpill, idiots

>> No.11867412

>>11867356
Fact is, plants care about being alive and vegans don't care about them being alive. Make of that what you will.

>> No.11867414

>>11867412
Define "care". They aren't self-conscious and have no cognition

>> No.11867431

>>11867414
They are conscious, who knows how self-conscious they are. And they do have some bit of cognition in that they can sense and react to their environments and sometimes, I believe , they communicate with each other.

Vegans only respect creatures with faces. They're no more honorable than a pescatarian.

Nutrients come from living beings and sometimes the sun.

>> No.11867445

>>11867412

We have no idea whether or not plants are sentient, though evidence does not point in that direction. Imbecile.

>> No.11867469

>>11867445
they may not have a brain in charge of a nervous system, but they can have cells that act like nerves, they react to their environment and through adaptation can feed and procreate.

But without what we know as the brain in most animals, we assume there's no "thought" which is I guess what matters

>> No.11867476

>>11867356
lmao they have no brains and nervous systems. even if they could somehow comprehend information in some way they still have far less capacity for thought and feeling than any animal does. being vegan or vegetarian is still morally and ethically superior to people who consume animal products

>> No.11867481

>>11867414
>>11867445
Coping vegans, continue your murder-sprees. You're one of us now.

>> No.11867488

>>11867476
Only "superior" by cutting SOME things out. Still drawing your own lines and being hypocritical.

>> No.11867489

I eat a vegan diet because of environmental reasons. If I could kill all livestock animals this second with the push of a button I would do so.

>> No.11867497

>>11867488
they don't even understand what's happening around them or have the capability to feel pain. you literally cannot subsist off a diet void of nonliving material, eating a totally plant based diet causes the least amount of harm possible. it also causes the least amount of damage to the environment, in fact it is beneficial to the Earth. on the other hand livestock is a major contributor to global CO2 emissions.

>> No.11867505

>>11867497
Admitting you're better/your life is more important than some things so you're allowed to eat them isnt helping your case or point.

>> No.11867513

>>11867505
I'm not saying I'm better than them, I'm saying they literally do not posses a brain or a nervous system necessary to feel or think. they don't know pain, or fear, or discomfort, they aren't conscious at all. animals like pigs on the other hand are highly intelligent and very much have the capacity to feel pain and fear and with the living conditions they are kept in within factory farms, many of them live miserably until they are killed. you're a fucking idiot

>> No.11867555
File: 60 KB, 976x561, 1548619655867.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11867372
Cows are not robotic automatons, but vegans obviously are. Cows are magnificent creatures and we should respect them for giving us nourishment and life.

>> No.11867556

>>11867513
How do you know which animals feel fear? Plants will actively try to survive in imperfect conditions, find ways to spread seed and find ways to consume nutrients.

Sometimes, eating meat is beneficial to the environment. You're just against industrialization and factory farming. Most people would prefer to eat locally raised meat.

But why are you so concerned with how miserable they are? No concern for the plant when you cut it from the root or light it on fire? They have their own system of living , but it must be the brain, which you dont fully understand anyway, that makes a creature worth protecting?

>> No.11867566
File: 234 KB, 1300x1035, wild-rabbit-family-stock-picture-386969.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11867481
Vegans slaughter wild animals (with pesticides and intensive cultivation methods) every time they spend a dollar on vegetables.

Every vegetable should come with warning labels..

>WARNING INNOCENT WILD CREATURES WERE MASSACRED FOR YOUR VEGAN DINNER

https://theconversation.com/ordering-the-vegetarian-meal-theres-more-animal-blood-on-your-hands-4659

>> No.11867574
File: 16 KB, 225x300, plants.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.11867631

>Plants will actively try to survive in imperfect conditions, find ways to spread seed and find ways to consume nutrients.

literally all living creatures do this, what is your point? you can only subsist by consuming other living creatures unless you are a plant. the only other option is to starve to death.

>Sometimes, eating meat is beneficial to the environment.

locally grown and raised meat can be greener than factory farmed but it is still detrimental to the environment, even if minimally. growing and harvesting plants will always be the more environmentally friendly choice.

>But why are you so concerned with how miserable they are?

is this not an important factor in determining what is and what is not moral? factory farms don't perturb or disgust you? if you don't care about the pain or discomfort of what you eat don't you at least care about how sanitary the facilities that produced and slaughtered those animals to give you that meat is?

>No concern for the plant when you cut it from the root or light it on fire? They have their own system of living , but it must be the brain, which you dont fully understand anyway, that makes a creature worth protecting?

from what we can possibly know from what science tells us, plants are not conscious. if you want to subsist yourself in the most ethical way possible, being a vegan is without a doubt the answer. there is hardly any evidence proving plants can feel pain or discomfort in any measure. are you really trying to say that you believe something like a tomato plant could possibly have even a hundredth the mental capacity of a pig, chicken, or cow? do you think that chopping down as tree is as bad as decapitating a dog? why do you think we have animal abuse laws but not for plants? you are grasping at straws to justify your choice. I eat meat myself, I'm not a vegan or vegetarian by any means but I really don't know what to say if you think a diet including animal products is more ethical than one without.

>> No.11867633

>>11867631
>>11867556

>> No.11867649

>>11867513
>>>they don't even understand what's happening around them or have the capability to feel pain
yeah neither do pigs
i mean you say they do
but that doesn't make it true
however i say that plants do
that makes it true
fucking vegetarians

>> No.11867654

>>11867649
if you're just going to ignore facts so you can continue to eat meat guilt free, go ahead. I can't stop you. keep living in your delusional fantasy world

>> No.11867661

>>11867631
>growing and harvesting plants will always be the more environmentally friendly choice.

Vegans prefer to clear forestland, sterilize the earth and kill every living creature on it, so they can grow soy and avocado. Truly Satanic creaturess

>is this not an important factor in determining what is and what is not moral?
I am not the same species as you satanist vegans. We have zero agreement on what is "moral" you are just my enemy. Moral to you would be killing me and killing all white people.

>factory farms don't perturb or disgust you? if you don't care about the pain or discomfort of what you eat don't you at least care about how sanitary the facilities that produced and slaughtered those animals to give you that meat is?

Fuck all your points and empty emotional arguments, you just use them as props to strengthen your propaganda. If we need factory farms to fund and fight the war, against you, to defend our healthy food then so be it.

Fuck you and kill yourself.

>> No.11867668

>>11867654
Vegans peddle nothing but lies and emotional propaganda. Works on 11 year old girls, don't understand why you are trying to sell it here.

>> No.11867674

>>11867654
we're not even the same guy arguing you but fpr real, as I said, plants sometimes have cells that act the way nerve cells act in most animals. They can react to pain, touch, warmth, light, etc.
Plants are more in touch with the world that you want to protect so lazily, and you dont even understand how they communicate..

That you consider eating meat something to feel guilty of is hypocritical.(and not simply the industrialization ruining the environment. which could occur with deforestation, over-farming certain plants and modifying them)

>> No.11867682

Meat is gross; it has blood and shit. Fuck animals though.

>> No.11867692
File: 14 KB, 279x180, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11867674
I think the plants feel pain argument is more of a meme, but the fact that harvesting and pesticides kills uncountable millions
of animals (paid for with vegan $$) seems to be a well kept secret.

Vegans literally don't give a damn about animals, in fact vegans kill more animals than anyone.

https://theconversation.com/ordering-the-vegetarian-meal-theres-more-animal-blood-on-your-hands-4659

>> No.11867712

>>11867395
No I hate cherry flavoring.

>> No.11867742

>>11867654
yes, ex-fucking-actly
nobody will ever convince me or anyone else to stop eating what we like, so there is no goddamn point to your endless bitching
fucking stop it and tell your queer compatriots to leave us alone

>> No.11867746

>>11867661
I'd say your reply is bait but there's a scary amount of effort put into it

>>11867674
all living organisms react to their environment in one way or another, this is basic elementary school knowledge. cells need to have rudimentary systems of communication in order to function the organism properly, this doesn't mean plants think or feel like you or me, or at all. if you think we have to destroy forests to support mass veganism/vegatarianism, you have a lot of research to do. same for >>11867692. the CO2 emissions due to the factory farming of animals is currently contributing to unprecedented levels of global destruction as we speak. I really cannot fathom how backwards your mind has to be to think an agricultural system comprised only of growing PLANTS is somehow less green than one that fast forwards the life cycles of billions of livestock animals per year. I seriously hope most of the people in this thread are just baiting

>>11867668
it's relevant to the thread

>> No.11867859

>>11867746
>the CO2 emissions due to the factory farming of animals is currently contributing to unprecedented levels of global destruction as we speak

(((You))) are the only semi-sentient creature on this thread trolling. 100% of vegan arguments are lies and or emotional propaganda. Your posts prove nothing but this.

If "factory farming" poisonous emissions were poisoning the entire Earth, then 100% of the workers in these cramped cow-fart filled facilities would drop dead instantly from the high concentration of cow farts. (The earth destroying noxious poison)

Instead they are perfectly safe, in the high cow farts environment, exposing your trolling and lies every single day.

Basically you here are just providing an example of how incredibly stupid vegan activists are.

>> No.11867879
File: 89 KB, 800x640, perc_620.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11867746
>I really cannot fathom how backwards your mind has to be to think an agricultural system comprised only of growing PLANTS is somehow less green than one that fast forwards the life cycles of billions of livestock animals per year.

Easy. Both factory farming of animals, and industrial crop production are unustainable because they depend on a huge amount of industry. Meat production has the obvious problems we have already discussed. Industrial ag is dependant on massive amounts of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, and other things (like the gopher gasser pictured here).

Small-scale traditional ag breaks that cycle. You raise mostly crops with a small number of animals on the same site. The animals provide pest control and fertilizer. The leftovers from the crops which humans cannot eat are fed to the animals. This is a closed-loop system which does not require chemicals of any sort, and it's how humanity fed itself until relatively recently in our history.

Meat is not the enemy. Industry is.

>> No.11868492

>>11867879
If we’re going to be giving niggers free food we need industrial factory farming.

>> No.11868527

>>11867555
>full time meatcuck
Gottem