Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/ck/ - Food & Cooking


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 108 KB, 1305x1500, 81rfdVhK0VL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
13899300 No.13899300 [Reply] [Original]

I guess it's finally time. Not shit to do but sit inside and bake and make food...

This one, the "Artistan" series, or the classic?

How big of a capacity do I really need considering I'm only ever going to be baking for 2, or the very occasional gift loaf of bread?

>> No.13899325

>>13899300
i have a classic and it's always served me well

>> No.13899328

>>13899300
I own a 5 qt one would get a 6qt one too why not the thing is already huge and it's a marginal difference overall im sure. I haven't run out of room before but I feel the higher stuff gets on the bowl the more it tends to not mix in well and I dislike scraping the bowl down while using it. the main choice is whether you want a bowl lift or a tilt head mixer. I went with bowl lift because I do not have any kitchen prep space that doesn't also have overhead cabinets. I bought a refurb off amazon like 6 years ago and haven't had to fix anything on it. now that they have nylon sacrificial gears they're pretty foolproof.

>> No.13899335

>>13899328
it's probably easier to add stuff midway with a tilt head right?

>> No.13899344

>>13899335
if you can't tilt the head up due to cabinets it's kind of a mute point. I bought one of those plastic shields to add stuff while it's running but I prefer to just stop it and drop the bowl for a second rather than fuss with the plastic thing. if you bake lots stuff that uses confectioners sugar and whatever and requires you to fold stuff in while it's mixing it's more useful but most recipes you just dump things in.

>> No.13899349

>>13899344
>if you can't tilt the head up due to cabinets it's kind of a mute point.

is that what i asked?

>> No.13899357

>>13899349
I don't own a tilt head but I assume you probably can't add stuff while it's running if you tilt the head up. bowl lift is kinda nice because I can drop the bowl with it running if I need more room and I can also get the whisk to empty itself out when I'm done. honestly I don't run into many issues adding stuff as long as I don't use a huge bowl. again the 6 qt one might have the advantage of a little more room over the 5 qt.

>> No.13900419

>>13899300
I've used the tilt head one, and the smaller bowl rise ones at work, and they're good pretty much the same shit. I bought the next size up because the motor was bigger and I do alot of bread, but its a bit of a pain in the arse for whipping small amounts of stuff like 2 eggwhites. If you don't do more than one loaf of bread a week I'd get the smaller one, tilt or lift, the motors are the same.

>> No.13900472

>>13899300
Everyone will shit on the non pro models but I have the Artisan and despite the plastic gears it has served me well.

>> No.13900483
File: 30 KB, 504x376, 3lrOdDo5jjn_gKVVP2ndEwcSnzWSfK7U5k_lLQCCsMA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
13900483

>>13899344
>mute point
That's a diamond dozen mistake there.

>> No.13900487

>>13899300
The tilt head ones have a major point of failure though most of the times it's not an issue.

>> No.13900512

>>13899300
Soccer mom detected. Those things aren't actually used for making food. Buy it, mount it prominently on your granite counters, 'gram it, and then cook with your fucking hands because that's how people have been making bread for 10000s of years.

>> No.13900514

>>13900483
>That's a diamond dozen mistake there.
savage reply, /ck/ is a real doggy dog world

>> No.13900545

>>13900514
Well you know you either get busy livin or you get busy fryin.

>> No.13900552

>>13900512
Mine has made plenty of food and it's convenient and faster having a machine do the simple tedious work for you like mixing or kneading while you do other things.

>> No.13900554

>>13900512
every professional kitchen I've worked in over 10 years had had at least one of these if not more. The only reason not to have one is if you're rich and can afford a hobart

>> No.13902276

>>13900552
Unlikely
>>13900554
Every professional kitchen also has one of those motorized quat sanitizer goo dispensers, and yet you probably get by with a $30 swiffer hmm?

>> No.13902289

>>13902276
for dough you either need a decent mixer or you're stuck doing it by hand. you can't really get by with anything different. the swiffer analogy doesn't hold up

>> No.13902292

>>13902289
Yes, "stuck". Because you had so many better things to do.

>> No.13902298

>>13902289
Please refrain from arguing with the angry poorfags

>> No.13902301

>>13902298
I guarantee I make more than both of you combined

>> No.13902327

>>13902289
If you use a hand mixer you can cheap out a little. Dough doesn't put as much wear on the motor as it does for a stand mixer, because you can move with it a little and transfer much of the resistance to your arm.

>> No.13902330

>>13902301
how much you make?

>> No.13902334

>>13902327
I have never and will never attempt to make bread dough with my fucking hand mixer. that's for shit like brownies or frosting not high gluten dough.

>> No.13902343

>>13902330
It doesn't matter, it's just going to be "my dad works for nintendo" next. In any case if you think no one on the internet can afford a $300 housewife toy you're delusional.

>> No.13902354

>>13902343
i'm a third party
why are you so mad and afraid to say how much you make?

>> No.13902359
File: 1.78 MB, 400x276, jakelaugh.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
13902359

>>13902334
I can just imagine that anons dough rapidly swinging around the beaters of a hand mixer knocking the metal bowl out of his hands repeatedly and fucking up his wrist

>> No.13902360

>>13902334
ok, but it's perfectly viable.

>> No.13902386

>>13902354
>u mad
>dilate tranny
>moving the goalposts
>straw man
Any more valuable contributions?

>> No.13902393

>>13902386
i just asked a simple question
you're the only one acting like a faggot here

>> No.13902897

>>13900512
Maybe you're just a retard

>> No.13902927

>>13902360
looks trash

>> No.13902932

>>13902927
huh?

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action