[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 46 KB, 640x560, kgJeXnu_d.png.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13950870 No.13950870 [Reply] [Original]

>try an olive oil based marinade on chicken
>bake it in the oven at 350
>olive oil smokes
>after opening all the windows and shutting up my smoke detector, restart it at 325
>cut a drumstick open 90 minutes later
>still pink
WHAT THE FUCK AM I DOING WRONG

>> No.13950951

>>13950870
Are you taking it straight from the fridge into the oven?

>> No.13951016
File: 213 KB, 1024x809, meat bear.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

let your meats warm to room temp before baking
DON'T USE STRAIGHT OLIVE OIL, cut it with another oil to increase its smoke point, or use another oil all together
I like avocado oil, high smoke point and neutral flavor
use a probe thermometer, 165f at thickest point
Try again after taking my advice

>> No.13951026

>>13950870
Sounds like you used extra virgin olive oil, which has a lower smoke point than olive oil.

I recommend canola oil. You wont have any problems.
By the way?
Being a good chef means you've made plenty mistakes. Dont worry! Next time you'll know.

>> No.13951043

>>13951016
The oil won’t give a fuck if it’s mixed with another oil because this isn’t cartoon science you mongoloid poster, if something has a smoke point to a certain temperature it will smoke once it reaches said temperature because even if it’s mixed with another stronger oil the mixture is at the same temperature.

You’re the guy who suggests to add oil and butter so the butter won’t burn right?

You’re giving free cancer to people who are listening you.

>> No.13951062

>>13950870
The smoke point for olive oil is higher than 350 degrees, so you probably need to check to make sure your oven works probably

>>13951016
literally nothing wrong with olive oil for baking at the temperatures OP was supposedly using

>> No.13951125

>>13950951
yeah, it's how my mom always did it so i figured that was fine. woops
>>13951016
i'll try avocado oil next time
>>13951026
fuck, it is extra virgin, i didn't realize that mattered for smoke point
>>13951062
it could be fucked, my kitchen gets really hot when i use it for anything and after the olive oil smoked i saw the smoke coming from the top of the oven through the stovetop. fucking slumlord landlord, i probably can't get it fixed until after covid19 now anyway

>> No.13951139

>>13950870
>350
>olive oil smokes
Doubt.png

>> No.13951222

>>13951139
mate my apartment had a fuckton of smoke and my alarm went off, idk what you want me to tell you. my oven might be fucked, but if it runs too hot, why is my fucking chicken pink

>> No.13951244

>>13950870
you did rinse the marinade off of the meat first and not put it all in the oven right?

>> No.13951311

>>13951244
i have never heard of washing off a marinade wtf, my mom never did that

>> No.13951355

>>13951222
I constantly use olive oil and bake my chicken at 450. Never had this smoking problem. Baking sheet, tin foil, olive oil on chicken. 10 mins, flip, another 10 mins.

Cast iron however always seems to smoke like a fucking chimney.

>> No.13951362

>>13951355
>10 mins flip another 10 mins
i cooked these fucking drumsticks for like 2 hours cause i kept restarting due to the smoke
theyre still fucking pink on the inside
i think i hard fucked up defrosting them, i moved them from freezer to fridge for 24 hours but they were still pretty attached to the meat juice pad at the bottom of the package when i set up the marinade

>> No.13951368

>>13951125

>puts fridge cold meat into the oven
>surprised that it doesn't cook

No fucking shit you moron. Same lesson for literally anything you cook, especially other meats. Let your steaks come to room temp before you cook them.

>> No.13951376

>>13951368
i read that letting chicken get to room temp will give you botulism
but i guess i probably already food poisoned myself by eating this shit

>> No.13951406

>>13951376
a few undercooked drumsticks almost certainly won't kill you but you might shit yourself in bed tonight. dump the chicken into some broth and call it a lesson learned

>> No.13951536

>>13951376
Any meat that isn't precooked needs to come up to temp to prevent burning or being undercooked. It doesn't need to come to room temp exactly, and anyways, you'll be cooking chicken to temp since its poultry anyways. I usually let mine have a 20-minute sit from the fridge before I start cooking.

>> No.13951572

>>13951043
Oil does stop the butter from burning though.

>> No.13951599

>>13951043
They're liquids. Mixing stuff together would increase the smoke point relative to the lower one (aka. olive oil) than if they were separated out. It's not much of an increase, but it's non-zero.

Mixing oils is stupid when the goal is to have an olive oil marinade, yes, but getting mad because you think the smoke point doesn't go up in a mixture? That's just silly.

>>13951125
>>13951362
>cause i kept restarting due to the smoke
Well that explains why they're undercooked after 2 hours. The actual cooking temperature time the chicken got was probably nowhere close to enough.

If you want to use an oven, but you think it's behaving wrong and can't get it fixed/replaced, you're going to have to spend some time with an oven-safe thermometer and figure out how to get the oven to work the way you want it.

e.g. Set it to 450F, see what the temperature reading is over time (30 mins, 1 hour, 2 hours, w/e), set it to 400F, repeat, set it to 350F, repeat. That's the first thing I do when I'm in a new kitchen and I expect to need to use the oven because generally you can't trust older stoves/ovens that have had zero maintenance from clueless homeowners over the years.

If it's just an issue of the dials/temperatures being skewed from reality, you can find the actual settings to get it to do what you want. e.g. if 450F actually results in 600F and 400F gets you 450F, then you set it to 400F.
If it's an issue of how the oven actually works (e.g. fluctuates harder than a malfunctioning electric stovetop), then you're actually fucked and can't use it.

I don't know if you have a thermometer on hand or whether you can get one because of covid but this is something to keep in mind for next time. If your shit keeps burning in the oven after a few minutes, I am sure that your oven was not cooking at 450F for sure unless you were throwing in ignited charcoals or something with it. Try a lower setting next time. The food doesn't have to hit 450 F on the outside to be safe.

>> No.13951641

>>13951599
>The food doesn't have to hit 450 F on the outside to be safe.
I ran out of space so I couldn't finish but what matters is that the meat hits whatever the foodsafe temperature is in the INSIDE. That's when you know you killed all the germs, and all the meat actually went through the chemical change you wanted it to.

This is why other methods like sous vide don't need 450 F ovens to cook the food, they can still get food to the desired temperature without going that high.
This is also why cooking something at 900F or microwaving frozen shit at max doesn't actually get it cooked faster and only burns the outside while the inside is still cold.

And on that note of burning cold food, the reason you also want your meats at room temperature is for a similar reason. The inside of the meat is going to heat up last, and if it's fridge cold, by the time the outside is done cooking, the inside is still going to be cold and/or just starting to warm up. You could still maybe figure out how to cook cold chicken evenly if you go at it from a lower oven temperature but that'll take so much extra time and hassle (if it's possible) and it'll make you wonder why you can't just leave it out on the counter ahead of time.

>> No.13951772

>>13951139
Regular olive oil won't but extra virgin will.

>> No.13951840

>>13951222
It could just be poor ventilation dude. Maybe you're using a dry chicken.
Calibrate, don't just throw it all out the window.

>> No.13951847

>>13951311
>what my mom did
Bitch, quit fucking imitating mommy. This is a man's world. Brine that mother for a day and marinate it for half a day, spray and mop baste it, BBQ and dry rub it. Quit treading water in the shallow end and get your nuts wet.

>> No.13951854

>>13951572
No it doesn't, you're just diluting the burned stuff so it's not as noticeable. It's still burning though. If you want to use butter at a higher cooking temperature then you need to use clarified butter/ghee to remove the solids that end up burning.

>> No.13951915

Put a caketin or a skillet filled with water on the bottom of the oven to raise the humidity levels.

>> No.13952434

Is it just pink or actually raw? Sometimes drumsticks get this dark color, but they're actually done. Check with a temp

>> No.13952996

OP here
>>13952434
I guess i'm not sure. It tasted mostly fine, and it's tomorrow morning and I haven't died of salmonella, so that's nice.
>>13951915
I'll try this next time
>>13951847
I'm learning
>>13951840
poor ventilation of the oven? cause that's probably true, it's pretty old and the smoke was leaking through the stovetop
>>13951599
>>13951641
this is really in depth and a lot of help. i'll try to get an oven safe thermometer off amazon or something and test it out when it gets here.
i'll also keep it out at room temp for longer next time. i thought the time it took to transfer the marinaded meat to the baking sheet + rack would suffice. it makes sense; even if bacteria does grow from leaving it at room temperature, why would that matter if i'm going to kill all that bacteria at oven heats anyway?

>> No.13953024

>>13952996
>why would that matter if i'm going to kill all that bacteria at oven heats anyway?
I'm not a bio expert but generally the answer is "it depends". They could leave behind poisons or something else that wouldn't necessarily break down enough in the specified heat. Like if I rubbed food on my ass and cooked it, it's still unsanitary and no amount of fire would make it okay to eat. I'm not an expert but if the CDC says 165F internal temp for chicken is enough to guarantee that all the botulism spores and shit are dead and gone, then for this case, it's good enough.