[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 1.83 MB, 1198x1800, 625FD220-732C-44BD-8531-62237D20F928.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15401528 No.15401528 [Reply] [Original]

my sister has a bmi of14.93 what the fuck do i feed her to get her 3,000 calories a day? she just has an illness btw(not anorexia)

>> No.15401534

what does she have?

>> No.15401540

>>15401534
idk exactly she was just really small when she was born and was really underweight growing up. she finally got to a bmi of 16.8 but it flared up and now she lost it again
she weighs 68 pounds and sves 17, i don’t even know what to do anymore we give her ensure and take her to the doctor and they don’t do anything except tell her to eat more

>> No.15401547

>>15401540
Sure she's not just depressed?

>> No.15401549

>>15401528
GOMAD

>> No.15401551 [DELETED] 

>>15401528
Apart from the weight issue is she hot?

>> No.15401554

>>15401540
>she has an illness
>has no diagnosed illnesses
if she was underweight growing up than she could have an autoimmune disorder which is blocking nutrients from being absorbed in the body. its either that or she has anorexia.

>> No.15401557

>>15401547
she might be idk she’s really quiet lately and used to have issues with it but this time she just cant keep food down and what stays down has malabsorption and i don’t even know what to do. she isnt a picky eater or anything but i dont even care anymore as long as she eats something
>>15401549
will this really work you think? she has issues with throwing up so i dont know if giving her solid food or liquid is better

>> No.15401559

>>15401528
Pasta
Pizza
Salads drowned in dressing

>> No.15401571

>>15401554
she has some diagnosed disorders, she uad failure to thrive in infancy and had a lot of pressure on her heart and lungs which was fixed with a surgery when she was ten. she gained like 10lbs after that and weighed 73, but now has diagnosed with holt oram syndrome and some connective tissue thing. not anirexia because she’s a good eater, just can’t keep down food or weight for more than a year
>>15401559
i’ll try this, she really likes all of those so im sure i can figure it out. especially if she starts drinking stuff other than water and ensure for more calories

>> No.15401635

>>15401528
honestly, beer. she will get plump AND feel happy all the time.

>> No.15401645

>>15401635
yea but she already throws up food and has a weak constitution, im afraid if she’s drunk it’ll make her worse but it’s a good suggestion thabks

>> No.15401666

>>15401645
See other doctors then if they cant find out why she throw up.

>> No.15401668

>>15401666
we’re trying, cant afford a lot of the really expensive tests every few doctors offer. they just like keeping her on feeding plans for several months that do nothing and then say “i did all i can”

>> No.15401679

I was diagnosed with Crohns in 2013, it takes a long time to diagnose and throughout that time my illness progressed to the point where I literally couldn't keep anything down. You're probably not going to find a magic food that she can just eat. I was throwing up water by the end.

Give her milkshakes while she can still drink.
Gotta get it sorted out.

>> No.15401683

>>15401528
ill give her my special sauce full of protein

>> No.15401713

>>15401679
can you tell me more about crohns? some of our family members are diagnosed with it and she’s been tested for it a lot. several times over seveal years
she used to have an issue as a baby where she threw up breast milk and formula constantly and ended up going unresponsive, every thing she ate wouldn’t stay down and so they just diagnosed her with acid reflux even though i don’t know if it’s that simple, because she does have regular acid reflux symptoms when she eats (but she also just throws up too)
they just dont know what to do with her and its frustrating everyone. they tested her for things like celiac too.
so my questions are:
> why is crohns hard to diagnose?
> how is it diagnosed?
> how have you treated it in yourself?
> how quick and how bad was the progression of it?
> what happens if she gets to the worst point of not being able to eat or drink, and we still don’t have a solution from the doctors?
also, we load her up on sugary stuff like carbs and dairy and she complains about it making her really shaky. but now we notice she has dizzy spells when standing (cardiologist treated this and they’re still happening and worse at her current weight) and is usually really trembly and pale a lot. and she has a lot of thirst but feels sick when she drinks, saying it’s like her stomach burns

>> No.15401717

>>15401668
Is this the famous american health insurance at work?
Serious question, how is there a single person over there who agrees with what goes on?

>> No.15401725

>>15401717
we have health insurance but iys so expensive even with it
the doctors just send bed to more specialized doctors at the state childrens hospital. paying for her surgeries is hard.
i think my parents are so used to her just being frail and sick sometimes that they feel jaded and don’t want to pursue surgery anymore because they feel they’ve done enough and it will waste monney. but shes really not doing the best right now and we dont know what to do for her anymore. testing is so expensive

>> No.15401728
File: 1.25 MB, 1078x1666, 1591358550351.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

We're going to need an expert.

>> No.15401731

>>15401713
Crohn's is a very individual disease in the way it manifests, but it usually only appears by early adulthood - very rare for there to be childhood symptoms.

Crohn's is hard to diagnose because the symptons are just "digestive inflammation", and that could be anything - figuring out that it's caused by your immune system is basically a process of exclusion. That's why I mention it, it's not specifically likely your sister has crohn's or anything, but if her digestive inflammation is getting worse her track will be similar.

I'm treated with immunosuppressants, it costs thousands of dollars a month to keep me functional, which I don't pay for whatsoever because first world. I've still needed lots of invasive surgery on top of that. Every year it comes up with something new.

I think the most entertaining symptom was when I lost the ability to digest protein, became unable to retain lymphatic fluid, and my feet swelled up like water balloons, leaving me completely unable to walk.

If she can't drink, she'll need to be in a hospital bed, and if they can't find solutions for her there, she'll go on intravenous nutrition.

>> No.15401732

Look I'm just going to list out a simple high calorie diet
>Breakfast
Two eggs on toast with either two slices of bacon, a hash brown
Pancakes with chocolate, honey, maple syrup, icecream, whatever- sugar is bad but right now we dont care.
Porridge or congee
A glass of milk or ideally those breakfast drinks with carbs
>Lunch:
Grilled cheese sandwich with some kind of meat.
Cheese/egg sandwich with mayonnaise
A pie, hamburger, pizza, kebab.
Soup with a cream base, beans are best- minestrone is GOAT
nachos, if you make dip with tinned red kidney beans and cheese it's like a fucking brick of carbs
>Dinner
Pasta carbonara, bacon, cream, eggs
Steak and potatoes with green salad
Caesar salad,despite it's reputation as a low carb food you just fry the crutons in butter, add more eggs and bacon.
Pasta bake with cheese and tuna
Beef and bean chilli
Grilled chicken with white bean and mayo salad

Then you keep a reserve of snacks like nuts, corn chips, basically so there's always something in reach.
Measure and record weight weekly, avoid stimulants and appetite suppressants like cigarettes
Fast food is totally fine here because we're recovering weight, more than one cancer patient has recovered thanks to Ronald McDonald

I believe in you anon

>> No.15401743

>>15401731
really sorry to hear about your suffering anon, but thanks for sharing everything you know. i hope your health stays stable and thhat you are as comfortable as possible
>>15401732
genuinely very helpful
thank you anon will definitely be trying some of rhis

>> No.15401756

>>15401743
In my case, the constant throwing up in the face of anything basically left me with an eating disorder. I was so used to throwing up when faced with food, anything that smelt or tasted or looked like food would basically make me dizzy and nausious just being around it. I stuck to bland stuff and very familiar flavours.

Passed out in the produce aisle at one point because I just couldn't handle the sensations, that was a confusing one to explain.

>> No.15401778

>>15401528
peanut butter
nuts
avocado
cheese
milkshakes
smoothies
pad everything else with extra butter, olive oil, etc.

3000 kcals is probably not gonna happen, but you can try!

>> No.15401787

>>15401528
Sure she's not bulimic?

>> No.15401798

>>15401756
that’s terrible anon, i hope you’re able to heal more psychologically
>>15401778
thanks. she was on a 3,000/kcal per day in elementary school too. but it always went unmet so im hoping it goes smoother now
>>15401787
positive

>> No.15401820

>>15401778
>pad everything else with extra butter
This
I was looking after my grandma and was just constantly sneaking bean paste, butter, oil, pate and mayonnaise into everything.
If I was making a chicken curry I'd start by frying off my spice/onion/ginger paste and chicken in a ton of Ghee.
Then after I browned the meat instead of adding water I'd add half yogurt.
Or I'd make a dahl that was basically just beans and ghee.
I'd butter both sides of the bread in a sandwich, and buy the cheap flavorless cheese so I could put two slices in
I'd make soup but start with sawn beef bones to get the marrow, then I would do onions in butter, blend a tin of legumes, and then add buckwheat- because it was a liquid it would just vanish.
If I was grilling chicken or fish to make something light I'd make a dressing with mayonnaise, capers and dill and serve it with a cold pesto pasta salad.

Even if my Grandma didn't want to eat I'd just put out biscuits with some pate or cheddar

>> No.15401822

>>15401798
Well, if she's not lactose intolerant, cheese and milk. If she is, peanut butter

>> No.15401847

>>15401820
clever anon
great ideas. thank you for sharing, will be using
>>15401822
yeah she isn’t lactose intolerant but she doesn’t like drinking dairy milk. no issue with cheese or cream or anything like that however. i make her macaroni and cheese a lot from scratch and load it with heavy creams and cheese and stuff
pb is a great idea. she really loves pancakes so we’ve been circling through nutella, maple syrup and peanut butter lately.

>> No.15401853

>>15401528
Use more butter in anything you can throw it in.