[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 1.58 MB, 941x624, bred.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15452726 No.15452726 [Reply] [Original]

I'm not really a bread-orientated individual. I'm bad at the time management, I suck at kneading, high hydration drives me nuts. All my attempts at basic loaves have been extremely mediocre.

That said, I'd really like to pin down a baguette process to go alongside soups and whatever. Do any breadsavants have tips for bringing those distinct baguette features to fruition?

>> No.15453834

First let's see your crumb.

>> No.15454687

Yeah.

>> No.15455459

If you are a self-admitted bad baker, and are aware of your flaws, start small. Start with popovers. Move up to muffins. Try your hand at biscuits. Get the feel of the dough and of kneading and appreciation of how the flour reacts, etc. Then move up to the breads, and start with ones that don't need a lot of kneading---look up "no knead rolls" etc. Because of biscuits and rolls, you will be be at ease handling and shaping the dough. Dough can be thrown in fridge when you don't have time to fiddle with it. Use fresh yeast. You will come up with your technique for shaping the loaf. If you have dedicated razor for the slashes--that is best, but you can use kitchen shears in a pinch, but might have little whisps. For baguette--spray down a hot oven with a water bottle or keep a pan of hot water on the bottom rack for steam. Some people use an egg white wash near the end, but not necessary and likely not authentic. Baguette freeze well, and reheat beautifully.