[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 28 KB, 630x615, 24C1E076-7AE9-4D92-BECA-D691C88E0749.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16042184 No.16042184 [Reply] [Original]

What was your parents’ cooking like growing up? Jack-tier boomer meals?

Mine were 7/10. They both cooked every night and gave me a pretty well balanced diet. Occasionally we would have canned/frozen food boomer dinners when they were busy.

>> No.16042194

>>16042184
I was raised by a single dad. It was really bad but at least he tried.

>> No.16042221

>>16042184
My boomer dad over cooks everything
My boomer mom is Jack tier

>> No.16042226

>>16042184
those are kidnappers omg......

>> No.16042257

>>16042184
My mom is a great cook, always puts her hardest into every meal. My dad doesn't cook much, but when he does he either overseasons or makes it bland. He's also extremely messy and destroys the kitchen every time, though he can grill a good steak.

>> No.16042324

>>16042194
The rare single dad poster

>> No.16042330

>>16042184
boomer dad knows nothing about cooking. overcooks everything, unironically washed a steak. constantly talks about how everyones sissy for not being able to stomach some of his cooking, some of which he cant stomach himself (cooked some meat well past its shelf life that turned green and he couldn’t get past 1 bite)

mom’s cooking is pretty good.

>> No.16042341

>>16042184
Dad did most of the cooking
9/10 when I was 10, always fresh produce, introducing new stuff
4/10 by the time I was 18, alcoholism just fucked his skills up and he did frozen and microwave stuff

>> No.16042353

>>16042184
My mom would intentionally make foods she knew my autistic ass couldn't handle and then scream at me when I'd get sick at the table.

My step dad taught her the ways of costco premarinaded pulled pork and also the grill.

My dad, when I'd get to visit, was a depressed soldier so it was always pizza and takeout

>> No.16042364

Dad died when I was young and had a ton of issues. He couldn't really cook work jack shit, but his baking was actually pretty OK. 2/10 overall.

My Mom is similar. She was better then my dad and did most of the cooking, but it was pretty basic and she burned things quite often. She started to cook less and less as I got into middle school and by high school I was pretty much cooking for myself. Her meals are still not great when I go down for a visit, but her pies and cobbler are damn good and made from scratch. 4/10 on cooking, 7/10 on baking.

>> No.16042412

>>16042184
>What was your parents’ cooking like growing up? Jack-tier boomer meals?
My Mom and both Grandmothers were excellent Southern cooks with influences of German, Italian, Mexican foods we made at home from items we loved from travels.
Dad and one of my grandfathers were pro tier on the grill and smokers, electric rotisseries, and all the gadgets money could buy. Sourced good wood and artisan butchers.
That said, Miami was good food and because of busy lives, we dined out just more than 50% of the time among all our rotation of favorites, from fajitas night to ribs to coal fired pizzas to comfy Cuban food, and everything inbetween. Large families with plenty of big group entertaining across the holidays.
I never had crap food, or fatty casseroles from cans, really. There would be sunday spreads most weekends right after church or going to grandparents for dinner for some steaks and great Southern sides. Stay at home grandmas might source some fresh corn in season, pole beans, farmers market tomatoes, collards. In Miami, you can get a whole hog butchered to order, a big batch of double yolk eggs, or bag of green tomatoes or baby okra to cornmeal bread, oh, with a quick drive.

>> No.16042449

>>16042184
10/10 but I'm biased because it's my mum and I love her.
I love all the meals she cooks no matter what it is... earlier she made a curried roasted parsnip soup and it was fucking amazing.
My dad doesn't really cook aside from roast dinners and they're actually brilliant... banging roast potatoes, generous with the meat.

>> No.16042515

>>16042184
>Dad
He used to hype up his dishes, as he was cooking them "as good as the restrant" but as we sat down to eat it ususlly a curry it was extrmeley watery and bland.
>Mom
She does nice pasta.

>> No.16042548

>>16042412
It sounds like you came from a relatively well off family. We were too poor to eat out constantly like that.

>> No.16042679

>>16042184
Here's what I'll say:
Mom: 8/10. Strong enough assortment of classic homemaker-style dishes, in the red-gingham-cookbook tradition. Great redsauce, great chili, casserole and other staples, but also kept alive a couple quirks of antiuated Midwestern taste. "The way my mother did it", etc. I think we've evolved beyond the need for mint-jellied lamb and a few other dishes. Strong baker as well, aside from her signature "crispy" chocolate chip cookies (not bad, but never chewy). Solid assortment of yearly-traditional-Christmas-cookie styles. Nut-gems and "seven-layer" bars being her signature in addition to all the classics like frosted cutouts and such. Other family-recipe baked goods are a dense German Fruit-Cocktail Cake, and an apfelkuchen-esque plum coffee cake baked in a sheet pan.

Dad I'll say 9/10 but inconsistent. Passed when I was quite young and so my tastes were less developed, he'd usually put a lot of care and consideration into the recipes he chose to make (my mom jokes "they'd come out great but he'd dirty up every pan in the house in the process") but had a very distinctive taste that wasn't always appreciated by the-two-young-boys and wife. Like the Bouillabaisse was just for him, things like that, though I've grown into some of those tastes over time. Had a fickle sense of smell (mine's a little similar, some smells are muted some just don't register) so liked really bold, strong flavors, like peppercorns and botanicals, and anything blackened and extra-crispy. Loved a charcoal grill, for steaks with a red-wine-based marinade.

>> No.16043211

>>16042679
Very comfy

>> No.16043258

>>16042184
>dad
i don't really remember dad cooking much. occasionally he'll grill. usually overcooks steaks, but he's been getting better. 3-4/10.
>mom
mom has an assortment of cookbooks she uses, usually swaps ingredients. she hates cooking but is really the only one who can (inb4 i should learn, yeah i've been meaning to). sometimes throws stuff together to see what happens. i enjoy her cooking a lot honestly, even if some experiments don't turn out very well. 8/10

>> No.16043261

My mom is a solid 9/10, points pretty much only deducted because she doesn't give a shit about presentation, a trait that I've inherited so idgaf really. My dad is probably a 6/10, he doesn't know that many recipes by heart but the ones he does he makes well, although he is an unironic and unapologetic spice lord who puts way to much hot sauce on most things. Food was always something that the when le family came together over and "made anything nice lately?" is pretty much always a topic that comes up when we talk

>> No.16043265

>>16042184
All in all 8/10. My dad was great in the kitchen, my mom wings everything, and it comes out great 75% of the time.

>> No.16043475
File: 3.50 MB, 1280x1759, 1607785876388.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16042184
Dad can't and doesn't cook, mom can't but cooks. She follows 5-10 recipes from 30 years ago, and executes them badly. When you try to give her constructive criticism she gets angry. I am a decent cook, but don't get any compliments from either of them because they're a bunch of miserable narcissists. My mom sometimes fakes enthusiasm for my skills, but I know she actually thinks it's weird for a guy to cook. Thanks for coming to my Ted talk

>> No.16043493

>>16042449
Wow take a good look at this well adjusted faggot and his normal happy family

>> No.16043547

Mom serves Campbells cream of 'whatever' as "gravy."

>> No.16043552

>>16042184
Moms cooking is 8/10, however I’m extremely biased because it’s my mom we’re talking about. Has a large arsenal of soups, stews and other traditional meals she learned to cook from my grandmother who is the best cook that ever walked this earth (again I’m biased). Dad can cook but is very lazy, so the meals are fairly simple. 6/10. he scores in the dining out department tho, since he is quite the enjoyer of restaurants and always invites me to fancy places that I couldn’t afford otherwise. I learned a lot from both of them, how to cook from my mom and how to enjoy the finer things in life from dad.

>> No.16043585

Probably 4 or 5/10

When my dad was alive, he only ever grilled chicken or made hamburgers and hotdogs. On rare occasions he'd grill cheap steaks.

My mom wasn't a great cook, but then again, we were fairly poor. So we ate a lot of frozen salisbury steaks, powdered mashed potatoes, Hamburger Helper meals, and canned vegetables. The one thing my mom was proud to make was her "beef stew" which was ground beef boiled in the water from the canned corn, potatoes, green beans, and peas she used.

>> No.16043658

>>16042184
Same. 7 or 8/10. Good meals, nothing extravagant, but hearty and healthy stuff

>> No.16043741

>>16042184
My dad loves to cook so aside from the rare flop, meals were easily 8-9 on the home cooked scale. He wasn’t a Michelin star chef so I don’t bother comparing it to all food scales. Any protein and any vegetable he has a recipe for, and we have our designated holiday foods as well.

My mom on the other hand only cooked because basically she had to. Don’t get me wrong: I was never starving nor did she ever skip serving my sister and I dinner, but the meals were typically always a chicken breast with herbs and lemon with boiled vegetables and a starch from a box meal. I’m not even saying that those items weren’t good, because they were, I’m just saying that’s a far cry from homemade bbq kebabs or homemade self served tacos with all of the fixings. 6/10

>> No.16043973

>>16042412
sounds like you ate good. my parents could cook but I didn't do much learning from them directly, I started cooking more seriously later in life independently.
>>16043261
how nice! it is good of your dad to at least have a few trusty recipes, just to be able to provide for himself once in a while. I've known some who can't! I like that as a conversation-starter, that probably does make a good topic.

>> No.16043989

>>16042184
Can someone explain to me what tf that pic is referencing
Chex mix is some kind of American cereal? What does that have to do with middle classness? It doesn't look very middle class.

Anyway, my mum's cooking is weirdly hit or miss, it's either okay or it's really pretty good. My dad only cooks steamed vegetables or fancy meals so my mum doesn't have to do all the work on Christmas.

>> No.16044004

>>16042341
Honestly exactly the same only my dad has always been a high functioning alcoholic and sometimes his food taste better when he made it tipsy. Sorry to hear that.

>> No.16044042
File: 62 KB, 760x527, beef-stew-14-760x527[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Anon go and set the table, forks and plates. I'm being a lazy mom tonight, we're going Polish.
>places serving-spoons directly into the pots the food was cooked in, placed on trivets in the middle of the table
>Serve yourself kids, don't make a mess!

>> No.16044059

Raised by a single dad. He's actually a very good cook and has taught me a lot. Heavy use of garlic and hot spices are things I learned from my dad and now continue to do as an adult on my own. He introduced me to Indian food at a young age (we are white).

>> No.16044077

my mom was fine, nothing special but had decent variety and always good and comfy
my dad was pitiful, truly
i remember once we were kids and my sister and i stayed home from school and for some reason my dad was taking care of us and he made us chicken soup and maybe something else and we ate it and then both threw up and i remember feeling really bad for him. like, he tried, but failed. it was sad.

>> No.16044094

>>16044077
Shitty father figures explain a lot about most of the 4chan user base.

Real men cook, women wash the dishes.

>> No.16044100

>>16044042
>dinner left on the stovetop, fill my plate and take a bite with a fork on the walk back to the table before sitting down
>"You don't eat standing up, Anon, you're not a refugee!"
>go on to get a drink, fridge door slams shut
>"Anon, please! Were you raised in a barn?"

>> No.16044105

>>16044094
>leaves women to the boring task

I see what's going on here.

>> No.16044106

>>16044059
based

>> No.16044154

>>16044105
yes of course. used to lead a scouting group where patrol leaders made task rosters to divvy up camp-work. Middle- and high-school-age boys, you never had to convince them to take their turn on fire+water or cooking a given meal, but somehow whoever's on cleanup, just so happens to be out in the woods or whatever the fuck

>> No.16044191

>>16042184
Mom 4/10 with a couple of 8/10 recipes thanks to grandma.
Dad: pig food/10.
Faggot loved his soup. Even if it was already spoiled he would boil it, stinking up the whole home. Then he would throw in all the "leftovers" (edible food) from the fridge and after that he would act as if we're the ungrateful cunts for being unhappy with him.
Noone but him would dare to eat this concoction, it would go bad in a couple of days, rince and repeat.

>> No.16044209

>>16042184
Both my parents are pretty good at cooking. They each make a few things I really like and a few things I don’t like. One thing that irritates me is that my dad will forever be sucking his own dick over how good his steak is, better than a steakhouse he sometimes claims. It’s not true but I don’t have the heart to tell him lol

>> No.16044226

>>16042184
Both my parents are great cooks, they were both raised in farming families so just about everything they cook is fresh.
Pretty much taught all their children to cook good food cheaply.
My parents are great.

>> No.16044235

>>16042184
10/10 without a doubt, but this only goes for my mom because my dad barely ever cooked

>> No.16044813

>>16044191
Kek, delicious sloppa

>> No.16045314

>>16042184
Divorced in 5th grade, this was roughly the pattern before my mom left the state when I was in HS to try starting a different family:

Mom
> microwaved frozen strips of skinless chicken bread on salad mix with dressing, in a tortilla
> two chicken breasts, can of salsa, wait 12 hours and put in a tortilla with "Mexican" shredded cheese
> frozen corn dogs, microwaved
> whatever came from the food bank
> home-made toffee and elaborate baked goods, after I graduated

Dad
> caprese with some heirloom tomato from the farmer's market
> fish tacos with homemade tomatillo slaw and coffee-crusted wild-caught salmon
> made all the kids lunches and got up early to bake cookies every morning to go into the lunch
> "I bribed a recipe off a cook in $restaraunt and tweaked it a little" type stories
> "what do you mean cayenne-flavored dried mangos aren't dessert?"

>> No.16045426

>>16042184
Dad had great fundamentals, never really a bad meal from him. My mom was less of a natural cook but could execute sandwiches, casseroles, and baked goods well so that was fine too-- though she hates most veggies if just by themselves. Only real issue is they lacked much range, but as a kid I didn't know or care, so it's all good. I like to expand their palates with some new genres now that I'm older.

As for my wife and I... probably we'll raise some insufferable food snobs who are excellent cooks.

>> No.16045487

>>16045426
>As for my wife and I... probably we'll raise some insufferable food snobs who are excellent cooks.
I wonder what your kids would write on this post 20 years from now. Not a dig at you, but I feel like kids always think they’re better than their parents.

>> No.16045534

4/10 is probably being generous because my parents really NEVER cooked, most of what I ate came from a restaurant or microwave. And when they do cook, 95% of it is from a box/package with instructions, never anything that requires any kind of prep or chopping. Sometimes my dad grills.

That said, I went to 5/10 because my dad occasionally impresses with a dish if he goes to the effort, and my mom's rarely made something I consider inedible. But it's easy to be safe when most of what you make comes from a box.

>> No.16045543

>>16045534
What do you cook/eat now?

>> No.16045662

My mom used to be a decent cook as a kid, but she got cancer and the treatment fucked her tastebuds up, so she lost the ability to gauge how she was seasoning shit.

As a result most of our food wound up being very bland, or RIDICULOUSLY salty, unless she followed recipes she made before she lost her taste.

>> No.16045681

My mom was a serviceable cook. Pretty average. My dad never cooked unless it was on the grill. He’s stuff tended to be better then my moms.
I’m a better cook then them both in the kitchen and on the grill

>> No.16046735

>>16042194
Same here, it was awful.

>> No.16046747

Love my mom but she is a lazy cook. If she can buy it pre-prepared, she will. She loves to buy cookbooks and never made anything from them because it's "too much work". She has a couple gold standards though, mostly desserts like apple crumble and easy stuff like lasagne. 4/10
Dad's a much better cook but he screws up easy stuff like the doneness of meat and he'll add way too much fucking olive oil to things. 7/10
The star chef of the family is my older sister believe it or not. Everything she makes for the family is always very good. She has strange food dislikes though. Like she won't eat fruit. Who the hell doesn't like fruit?? 8/10
Me, I can make a handful of dishes very well, but anything out of my wheelhouse makes me panic. Also I cannot make a sauce or roux to save my life. 5/10

>> No.16046818

>>16042184
Mom 5/10
Dad 6/10

>> No.16046823

My mom like to bake but never made dinner. My dad is a pretty good cook, great at smoking meat.

>> No.16046861

>>16042184
my Dad is world class, a chef for like 35 years now and he's worked in some really ritzy places all over the world (cooked for the British royals a few times). My mum is the diametric opposite and somehow manages to bungle the simplest dishes into inedible messes

>> No.16047152

>>16045487
I'd hope they are better than me, especially if raised in a house that was enthusiastic and encouraging about trying new things out. With my parents the only bottleneck was the soft parochialism that most boomers had by default which stopped them from branching out much, AND they didn't have the internet.

Holy fuck I'm imagining my son asking for a particular recipe in the future and my reflex is "let's see if Chef John has something for us" lol

>> No.16047354

>>16042184
Mom is Filipino, so a lot of good Filipino food. She also made lots of other dishes, Italian, Spanish, Indian American, French, etc. Even made her own bread occasionally.

>> No.16047376

>>16047354
Oh yeah forgot the rating, 9/10 mom.
Dad mostly grilled and made breakfast like pancakes with Jimmy dean sausage and eggs. Occasionally made bomb stew from leftover ham from Christmas. 8/10 dad

>> No.16047449
File: 2.69 MB, 3973x4000, _20201218_115346.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My mom was a decent home cook, but she really enjoyed baking cookies and brownies. She would bake for any event that could conceivably appreciate it. We had two ovens, but the second one only turned on for baking days or holidays.
I'm not much of a cook, but when I was assistant teaching in Japan I taught at a school with a serious culinary program. Maybe the kids won't remember it, but I taught them my mother's cookie recipe. She passed away shortly after I started that job, so it felt good to incorporate something I got from her.

>> No.16047453

>>16042341
Was your Dad a nice alcoholic or a mean one?

>> No.16047460

>>16042449
Based anon. I hope you and your family are well.

>> No.16047495

Mom used to make typical fare she learned from her mom, starch with meat and something green, the occasional french dish. Later on she learned how to cook SEA dishes like curries really well, and she's gotten into flavourful healthy cooking. She has a genuinely well-developed sense for flavour and dares to experiment every once in a while. Overall 9/10.

Dad's area of expertise is mostly in the grilled meat department. He never follows a recipe but he also doesn't really stray from what he knows. 7/10

I got lucky, I feel for all the anons in this thread with bad childhoods.

>> No.16047513

Pretty bad. I'm a better cook.

>> No.16047514

With my mom, it really depends on the cuisine. Most Italian dishes she nails wonderfully and refuses to take shortcuts at any corner. Same with a lot of traditional American fare like roast beef, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, pan-searing steaks or fish, roasting and sautéing veggies.

When she starts getting more ethnic, it's more of a mixed bag. She grew up around a lot of Puerto Ricans so she makes surprisingly good rice and beans, as well as empanadas. Her idea of 'Mexican' food though is entirely tex mex pre-packaged seasoning mixes. She also very rarely makes breads or pastry doughs and will often take shortcuts there.

My dad is another story all together. He's the kind of guy who couldn't quite care whether he was eating haute cuisine or microwaved pulled pork on a cold Hawaiian bun. He's got decent grilling skills but a tendency to overcook meat. When he cooks burgers, his idea of toppings consists purely of cheese, ketchup, mayo, and occasionally some sliced onions.

>> No.16047708

>>16045314

Bonus grandma

> hasn't cooked since first husband died in 1977
> lives entirely on frozen Schwan's delivered meals

>> No.16049220

>mum
solid 8/10 meals. Her style was simple stuff that could be mass made and only took 20-30 minutes of active cooking time.
>dad
10/10, he was more in the food is art and he would often spend 1-2 hours working on something special. Took a while to clean up afterwards but always worth it.

>> No.16049330

Nothing but overcooked oven meats and slow cooker meals. Then once I hit about 13, whatever the current health trend was. I absolutely hates chicken until I started cooking for myself.

>> No.16049350

>>16042184
My Dad loves food, I've never had a bad restaurant recommendation from him and went to culinary school for two years, but he must have been drunk or asleep the entire time because his cooking is bland as fuck. He lives off the same few meals: well-done steak with instant mashed potatoes and boiled carrots, chicken noodle soup (not terrible), chicken & rice, and slumgullion.

My Mom's cooking is fucking great. Makes all the comfy stuff: lasagna, chicken pot pie, pierogies, ham & bean soup, PA dutch style chicken & waffles, does shitloads of baking especially around Christmas. All of it loaded with butter like grandma taught her. She makes me a meatloaf every time I visit.

>> No.16049363

My mom had a 10-15ish year spand where she went from being a person who cooks just to get food on the table to a person who makes really good meals. The last few years she really doesn't seem to care anymore.

My dads idea of cooking is getting drunk and eating whatever slop he can microwave. Hungrymans and ramen. I'm glad that piece of shit died with a faulty liver. I remember when he was on his deathbed he tried to apologize for being a shitty drunk. I told him "It's too late. This is the best gift you could have given me. I'll smile when you're dead." He was seething and tried to tell people that I was being evil to him but no one believed him because he was so fucked up on drugs and in so much pain the nurses explained he might not make any sense.

>> No.16049378

my dad didn't cook a ton, we usually ate out, and he died when i was like 13. but his gumbo was 10/10
my mom used to be an alright cook, but now she's pretty good. she usually cooked us quick and easy things, like chicken soup. we usually had to cook for ourselves for breakfast, if we'd even have breakfast. i had a lot of cereal, pop tarts, toast, and scrambled eggs lol

>> No.16049399

Pretty good. My dad is American but grew up in France and Italy due to grandpa’s work and mom left Iran in the 70’s before the Revolution. So they cook a mix of the foods they grew up on, and were the ones who got me into cooking.

>> No.16049626

>>16042184
My dad was an OK cook, he did pretty good.
My mom was lazy and mostly cooked cheap shitty instant food.

>> No.16049662

>>16042184
I love my mom's cooking but she refuses to make it anymore. Since I live 6000 miles away, every meal she makes me has to be "special" meaning a new, exotic, untested recipe.

>> No.16049678

>>16042184
10/10 kept me alive and never went hungry

>> No.16049992

>>16042412
>wall of text

>> No.16050076

>>16042184
My parents are Japanese. My dad was a chef and my mum was a housewife that learned to cook young. I ate what people call 'Japanese cuisine' all the time.

>Rice staple
>Miso soup
>Katsu, karaage
>Tempura
>Jap curry, stews
>Ramen, udon, soba
>Fried rice, omelette rice, okonomiyaki
>So much fish, tofu, seaweed, pickles
>Jelly filled donuts
>Sushi for occasions

Didnt realise it wasn't normal until middle school. I think it fucked up my palate.

>> No.16050590

6/10 bland but a good variety. But fuck every steak was exceedingly well done and any bacon in the morning would be fried to a blackened crisp.

>> No.16050606

>>16049678
>simping for your parents
>didn't even mention flavors or skills
I see you grew up on lunchables and hotpockets.

>> No.16050630

>>16042184
Horrible. My dad would only cook boxed shit or various types of slop. He was an army man so it probably reminded of his time in the service. Occasionally he would make a pretty good homemade chicken and potato soup.
My mom didn't really cook because she was always working.
Those were some of the reasons why I learned how to cook and eventually I ended up cooking meals for everyone.

>> No.16050633

Early 80s dinner was beef stew, meat loaf, sausage and potatoes, sometimes spaghetti or lasagne. A lot of salisbury steak, unfortunately. We often used an outdoor grill in the summer doing hamburgers or ribs.
Late 80s we branched out into Old El Paso Mexican box kits and crock pot beef roast.
90s mom discovered frozen stir fry bags so we had that a few hundred times.

>> No.16050708

>>16042184
My dad makes some really nice food, but he has to dumb down the spice because my mum can't handle it and it really affects the flavour. He makes a few dishes but the ones he makes are really good. Everybody always loves his beef curry and asks for the recipe. The dishes he makes were a 9 or 10 but now it's an 8, it's pretty good just not as good.

My mum makes random a variety of stuff and adds a ton of vegetables with no synergy, I don't like more than half of it, she even took a cooking course and she just doesn't make good food often, adds a bumnch of fruit with no synergy and tells me to drink it, it taste terrible and she says to drink it because it's good.
She thinks adding vegetables to any thing is good and does it despite not knowing what vegetables taste good in a dish.She also made me hate pizza because she just filled it with vegetables, very little cheese and tomato paste and for the longest time pizza was my most hated food, even now her home made pizzas just aren't good, despite having no more vegetables in them .
She's like a 4-6, some dishes can be good but most are ok or bad

>> No.16050768
File: 26 KB, 598x574, 677.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16043475

>> No.16050989

>>16042184
My parents are both excellent cooks, and my grandma is even better

>> No.16051005

>>16042184
7/10. My mother insisted on putting capsicum into fucking everything.

>> No.16051015

Mom solid 9/10. There are some problems but whenever she invites me over for dinner, I always make time. Dad 3/10, burns everything but is very good at making cocktails.

>> No.16051020

my mom can do a very small handful of dishes pretty well, she's hopeless when trying new recipes though

i've never even seen my dad cook anything aside from steaks on the barbecue once or twice.

>> No.16051062

>>16042184
>Dad
8/10 he's a great cook and really gets a lot of joy from it as a hobby. He was the one who made dinner every night growing up
>Mom
3/10 although it's been 3 years since the last time she made me anything.
She can cook eggs well enough and her "specialty" used to be oven baked chicken and boiled potatoes.
After I moved out she refuses too cool anything more complex than a frozen meal and also refuses to learn to cook anything else.
Fuck it, I'm dropping her down to a 2/10 for her unenthusiasm and refusal to even try.

>> No.16051869

>>16050076
How would that fuck up your palate? At least your parents localised one dish I guess

>> No.16051874

>>16042184
Mom 9
Dad 1

>> No.16051879

>>16042184
we just had frozen chicken nuggets

>> No.16053476
File: 315 KB, 1100x1200, 221.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16042184
Dad was professional cook
Mom learned from him
Dad died mom started dating this puerto rican
Food turned into orange looking chicken every night (from Sazón) and shitty rice
then he beat her and left and food became good again
Still live with my mom because she's geriatric and she loves my cooking

>> No.16053958

>>16042184
>mom
Pretty good. She’ll make just about anything, even if it’s a pain in the ass. The only things she made that I disliked were things I disliked in themselves, rather than how she prepared them.
>dad
Also pretty good, but the things he knew how to make were limited. Whenever my mom was on a trip or something, we mostly ate tomato soup and corn waffles.

>> No.16053988

>>16042449
You're english, nothing you've eaten is good. Sorry to inform you.

>> No.16054019

>>16053476
>orange color
>sazon
that's from the annatto

160b - Annatto colour. This vegetable dye is made from the seed coat of the tropical Annatto tree and classed as a 'natural' colour additive (however, not everything classed as a natural product is harmless, what about arsenic?). Annatto is believed to be associated with behaviour and learning impairment, especially in children. Skin irritations, allergic reactions, sleeplessness, asthma and is known to increase symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Annatto is becoming more popular by manufacturers because they can list it as 'natural' on their labels. It's found in numerous food items that are coloured cream to yellow-orange: processed breakfast cereals, flavoured chips and snack foods, dairy products (ice cream, cheese, yoghurts), flour products (biscuits, cakes, pastries), fruit juices, margarine, frozen chips, salad dressings, medicines. Annatto is deemed 'likely safe' for most people when used in food amounts. 'Food Amounts' refers to the amount safe in a serving of food but the problem is it's now consumed in so many foods that are eaten daily. You could be eating it up to 7 - 8 times a day (in your cereal, snacks, cheese slices, yoghurt, biscuits, margarine, fruit juice, ice cream).

>> No.16054085
File: 69 KB, 1001x823, Happy-Feel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>dad worked as a cook in some restaurant that closed years ago
>whenever he cooked at home it was absolutely delicious
>however he was super busy with work
>very rarely cooked for us
>mom never cared about food
>most of the food she cooked was super bland

my grandma on my mother's side tho? best cook I probably ever known
all around not bad I guess

>> No.16054118

Honestly pretty good. Mom’s half Italian and she married my dad from the south so she can basically cook any type of comfort food to a T. Homemade Sunday red sauce, plus baked ziti, manicotti, and various “parms” during the week. I know it gets shit on, she also makes really good casseroles that aren’t just layers of canned food. Also good porkchops, biscuits, basically any type of chicken, stir fries, and meatloaf. My favorite was always chicken and dumplings. She started cooking daily at 18 for my dad and was a stay-at-home mom so she’s been cooking brekkie, lunch, and dinner basically 24/7 most of her life. Her desserts are fire too

>> No.16054148

>>16043475
>>16050768
reverse image search reveals that this picture is edited
sigh...

>> No.16055051

>>16054148
Hard to believe she was even bigger in the original but I guess it affects her self confidence.

>> No.16055093

>>16042184
My mother always hated cooking and loves incredibly bland food (to the point that she could easily be the origin of the 'white people don't season anything' meme), so it was always awful when she cooked. She does bake good cakes, though.

Dad was always pretty good and had a special fondness for Italian food, which I also enjoy, but he didn't have much time to cook when he was employed. Since he retired, however, he's gotten really chef-y and loves experimenting with various dishes. He's quite good, honestly.

>> No.16055100

10/10 both create incredible food from anything.

>> No.16055129

>>16042184
>mom
Decent, cooks good simple comfort food, but would have stuck with the same old recipes until the end of time if it wasn't for my interest in cooking and us cooking together. She expressly does not enjoy cooking and it does show, but her food was never bad or anything, just uninspired, I guess would be the best way to describe it
6.5/10

>dad
Only ever cooked if he absolutely had to. Usually fucked it up. Could make pretty decent pickled herring, but that's about it
2/10

Grandma bonus

>maternal grandma
Before cancer destroyed her tastebuds and eventually killed her, she was the best cook in the family. Also an absolutely incredible baker. Wish she had lived longer so I could have learned more from her
9.5/10 cooking
11/10 baking

>paternal grandma
Good cook, but had some habits that dragged her down, like overloading recipes with heavy cream and putting too much sugar into practically everything. Still usually very tasty food, but mashed potatoes with tablespoons of sugar in it is fucking gross
8.5/10

>> No.16055196

>>16042184
8/10 great food when my mom was home cooking.

>> No.16055305

>>16047449
sorry for your loss

>> No.16055427

dad 7 out of 10 goddamn good burgers.
mom 9 out of 10. she makes food that makes me happy.

>> No.16055683

No dad/10

Mother, being an old-fashioned southerner of exclusively Anglo-Irish stock, cooked exclusively ‘country cookin’. Everything was either fried or a stew. Potatoes, cabbage, beef, pork, and/or beans in almost every dish. 4/10, gotta be a rural redneck to really appreciate such heavy food.

>> No.16055689

>>16043989
It’s a salty snackfood. Mix of things like pretzels and cheezy crackers.

>> No.16056668

My mom is an excellent cook who wanted to become a chef, but couldn't because her young adult years were in the 1970s when it was near impossible to become a chef. She loves to try recipes and experiment with dishes and will openly admit if she thinks one of her dishes is bad. My mom goes into the entire process of cooking.

My dad can't cook to save his own life, but he's pretty good at grilling.

>> No.16056867

>>16047449
Which one of those two did you groom?

>> No.16056887

My parents are both body builders so I was raised on very bland baked chicken breasts and steamed veggies. Now I go home to visit and pan fry them chicken thighs wtih some spice and it blows their minds.

>> No.16057014

In early childhood my parents were really awful cooks. They would make shit like Macaroni and Cheese with an entire can of unseasoned uncooked tomatoes dumped juice and all in at the end or grocery store pasta take-home platters where the noodles disintegrated a day previously

Some time in like 2005 my mom began watching the cooking channel and started experimenting with stuff

Since then she's a really great cook. Makes a lot of really tasty stuff.

My Dad has never cooked in his life.

>> No.16057784

Mom: 7/10 she would sometimes overly season some dishes but overall pretty damn good.
Grandmother: 6/10 doesn't believe in seasoning at all.
Great grandmother: 9/10 goddamn I miss her amazing southern cooking RIP granny.

>> No.16058064

>>16042184
Dad is a 3/10 (whose usual trick was to just pan-fry leftovers and cover the result in hot sauce), mom was about a 5/10 growing up but is probably closer to 6/10 these days. However, my mom makes up for it by being a great baker. She doesn't do many yeast-leavened breads but her cookies/quick breads/cakes/etc. are all really goddamn good, better than most bakeries. My brother can cook decently enough but he inherited my dad's palate and the bare handful of tastebuds he had as a kid threw in the towel when he joined the military.

>> No.16058147

Dads a 2/10, real mac and weiners kind of guy.
moms a 5/10, very hard to fuck up filipino food but also hard to, like, make real nice. I like it, I was raised on it, but I wouldn't serve it to friends, you know?
My siblings and I are rather solid cooks, but that's because the only meal guaranteed was dinner so for the rest we largely had to cook for each other. It was kind of nice, poverty aside.

>> No.16059937

>>16042184
Mother: not really good , she does really like to cook thats it, she used to mske good soups but nowshe throws every kind of vegetable or legume in there and now her soup taste like toodler food, she says she likes "traditional food", but thats just code for whats the easiest, her technic for preparing every kind of food is trowing stuff at a pot turning the stove at high heat then when it starts sizzling turn it down and cover it, the worst part is that im pretty sure im better than her at cooking and her way of coping with that is saying i waste to much money and energy and i leave the kitchen all dirty after i use it, ffs one time i was searing a steak and she had a mental breakdown because i was "burning" the steak and ruining it
My dad started making bread in 2012 in our home oven which is nice better he never got really good, is bread didnt improve much in 8 years(its dry and dense), if he has some leftover doug he usually makes a pizza with way to many onion, pineapple, sometimes ketchup, crappy chesse that doesnt melt properly(but he doesnt even bother buying another one), ham and bacon
but i cant blame them for that

>> No.16059980

>>16042341
Kek

>> No.16060004

>>16042184
parents were divorced and i lived primarily with my dad who was terrible at cooking so we ate out a ton. mom was also terrible at cooking but thought she wasnt and made the same 5 meals over and over again

>> No.16060064

>>16049363
What a weird shitty flex.
Got me to reply/10

>> No.16060082

>>16042194
My parents were divorced but me and my dad would go to my grandparents for supper every night it was the typical bland midwest

>> No.16060605

>>16049678
Based attitude.

>> No.16060626

10/10 because I didn’t have to cook it myself

>> No.16061450
File: 300 KB, 1175x783, Pierogi-blueberry.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16042184
>What was your parents’ cooking like growing up?

My Polish immigrant mother (born in 1922) could cook Polish food that everybody raved about but always fucked any “American” food she tried to make, like meatloaf and such.

My Polish immigrant dad (born 1925) simply couldn’t cook, other then grilling a steak, as that’s how guys were raised back in the day.

>> No.16061990

When my parents were still together we got stuff on the level of spaghetti and canned sauce, chicken and rice with jarred sweet and sour sauce, or of we were lucky homemade tacos made with the store bought seasoning packets. After my parents divorced it was 4 kids and my mom who was never much of a cook to start with and started to lose any/all motivation to try. We ate pretty much all packaged crap like box macaroni or those home style bakes things where you get some cans of crap with a packet of biscuit mix to put on top and throw in the oven. By the time I was like 11 we were to the point of everyone in the house had to figure out their own shit, so it was mostly cereal, instant ramen, and pizzas made from the cheap pizza dough mixes you can buy in bulk at discount grocery stores along with jarred sauce and the cheapest blocks of cheese available.

When I turned 18 I ended up moving in with my girlfriend's family which was a bit of a step up because they say least kept a variety of food in the house and cooked full meals regularly, though it was pretty white trash tier because her parents were the type who baked or boiled everything and never touched salt and pepper.

When we moved out on our own we started cooking for ourselves and made a point of staying away from prepackaged crap in favor of buying ingredients to make pretty much whatever we could from scratch, partly because lol poverty but also because we were both sick of eating crap. Chef John is a lifesaver, taught me pretty much all the basics of how to not be complete shit at feeding myself and I've just continued to figure shit out from there.

It depresses me to see my sisters having kids and being the kind of parents who sick their pantry with boxed crap to throw together with minimal effort, but at least when I go visit I get to be the uncle who always cooks something way better than they're used to getting.

>> No.16062440

>>16042184
My dad is really good at it: Only remember him fucking up one meal growing up when he put too much garlic in a chili by accident.

My mom is alright: Never anything terrible, never anything to remember.

My grandma, brother and sisters are way ahead of them, though. It's nice to have a family.

>> No.16062448

>>16042184
Both parents can cook decent to good stuff, but when they try to step out of their comfort zones? Big oof. They also tend to have the bad habit of " don't need no recipe, my unique/easier way is just fine!" in conjunction with "no x? just use y bro", which, granted, isnt usually the worst for regular dishes, but fucking hell it always goes to hell in baking.
tldr
About 6.5/10 for dad and 7.6/10 for mom

>> No.16062453
File: 91 KB, 736x590, 1601908217234.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My dad grilled every two weeks and my mom cooked maybe once a week. All other meals were microwave meals or takeout.

>> No.16062457
File: 156 KB, 1242x409, Sex_germany.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16042184
My dad can cook like no ones business, his food is really good. All he does is follow Jaime Oliver recipes or googles ingredients for whatever he has on hand.

My mom can’t cook unless it’s grilling stuff (even then she over cooks things)

>> No.16062460

Every once in a while our mom allowed us to order pizza. Those were the happiest moments of my childhood.

>> No.16062645
File: 559 KB, 614x665, 1615276581470.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My mom has cooking skills but she absolutely hates cooking so she does the same 5-10 bland boring recipes over and over and takes as many shortcuts as possible to get it over with quickly.
When she has to make something for an event it's usually great but any other time and it kinda sucks.
Lover her anyway she's a great mom.

>> No.16063314

>>16053476
i'd love to choke her out, spit in her mouth and slap her around as i aggressively rail her dry pussy