[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 259 KB, 1600x1200, Grilled cheese in the oven.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4261409 No.4261409 [Reply] [Original]

So, recently my apartment manager went around replacing old stoves with new stoves, and I had my pan in the bottom of the stove, thinking they'd check and take it out and transfer. NOoooope.

I have been on a grilled cheese fix, and I'll get some more pans soon enough, but what alternative ways are there?

I googled up, and found this, which seems promising:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/awesome-grilled-cheese-sandwiches/

It also seems to have some benefit as I'd be able to cook more than one or two grilled cheese at a time.

Has anyone else "grilled" cheese in their oven?

I've seen that toaster method, but that seems pretty messy and I think I've seen an image of someone having tried that, and it made their toaster all fucked up with cheese goo.

What say you, /ck/?

>> No.4261430

Just oil and preheat a cookie sheet in the oven and treat it like a bit frying pan.

>> No.4261564

Been doing it like this for years. Definitely use a cookie sheet, and when buttering the bread, use the thinnest possible coating. Since the sammich sits for longer, big globs of butter will have time to leach deeper into the bread and make it soggy.

>>4261409
> thinking they'd check and take it out and transfer.

That was a stupid plan.

>> No.4261570

this is the only way i grill cheese anymore. Its just like making a regular melt, only with cheese.

I put the bread right on the oven rack, and then place the cheese on the bread and set it to 350 degrees for 6 minutes or so. then when its melted i put the slices together and turn off the heat, and let it continue to melt to my desired cheesieness.

>> No.4261587

Grab an iron and Benny&Joon it.

>> No.4261588

Try a george forman if you have one also.

>> No.4261590

>>4261564
Oops I forgot one other thing: the oven is good for crispy grilled cheese if you're into that, and being an oven and a lower-temp cooking surface, heat coming from all sides, etc the texture will be the aspect you will need to tweak and manage.

- lightly toast the bread in an ordinary toaster as the first step (critical step)
- ultra-thin layer of butter on the outer surfaces of the toast
- use room temperature cheese, and if using some ham/turkey, lay that on a plate and heat in in the microwave so that it is hot when it goes on the bread (I put the cheese on the meat before microwaving because the bread cooks fast)
- flip once

I really like how the texture turns out with the pre-toasting. And that drying technique makes the sammiches somewhat portable and actually edible if re-heating later. For example, I'm not stashing butter and all that at work. If it can be tossed in a bag and re-heated with minimal fuss, I skip it. With these, assuming you are meticulous about the "thinnest coat of butter" thing, you will have crispy bread all day. 15 seconds in the microwave uncovered (avoid steam, the enemy of crispy toast) then into the toaster over for 5-7 minutes... Good as new.

Ps - I always did the pre-toast thing with dark rye when pan frying Reubens, then one day I applied it to grilled cheese and moved on, therefore there's probably many ways to bake bread/cheese and I would certainly like to hear about it.

>> No.4261596

>>4261588
> Try a george forman if you have one also.

I got one of those clam shell sammich presses last summer, used it once for a ham/cheese, and it just tasted fucking weird. Is that just me, or to be expected. Growing up we only made pork chops and hamburgers on it, so that was the first time. It just wasn't right and I haven't used it since.