[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 43 KB, 519x402, 954778235.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4494540 No.4494540 [Reply] [Original]

OK Americhamps of /ck/. Lets argue about regional food. I want you to list the three states in the U.S. that you think have the best food and say why you think that.

I'll start.

1. Texas
>BBQ, Tex-Mex, Mex-Mex, the only state that knows shit about chili, some spillover foods from Louisiana

2. California
>Great local cheap produce in everything, Mexican food, local wine and beer.

3. Louisiana
>Cajun, creole, dat gumbo, negro soul foods.
............proceed.

>> No.4494550

1. New York - pizza and bagels

>> No.4494559

>>4494550
I was very close to putting New York on my list, because best pizza in the U.S. and the Jew delis, it took some serious thought but I decided against it. They'd be #4 for me.

>> No.4494573

>>4494540

Pretty much the three you just said.

>> No.4494584

>>4494540
>the only state that knows shit about chili
your chili *IS* shit

>>4494559
>new york pizza
confirmed for retard

>> No.4494608

I've been across the US by bus several times. I haven't eaten in every state, but I've eaten in most. My conclusions are:

Honorable mention:

South Carolina - That mustard BBQ pork is awesome, so is the low country cooking there. Good seafood, too.

Maine - Great seafood, if short season for much else.

New Jersey - Portuguese, Brazilian and Italian American well represented, and often good.

Good Tier:

Texas - Great BBQ and north Mexico style cooking.

Louisiana - Rich traditions, spectacular food. Overly heavy stuff everywhere, without a break from it.

Oregon - They really care in Portland, and that care shows in much of their food.

Top Three:

NY - Rich town, rich immigrant culture, decent access to ingredients. Adopts all kinds of good things (and people) from all over the world. NYC is probably the best food town in the US, and the rest of the state benefits from that.

CA - You've got wealth, tremendous access to great ingredients, vibrant immigrant communities past and present. Add LA and SF, two of the top food cities in the country, and CA has to be on the list.

WA - Washington may seem like a dark horse unless you've eaten there. Seafood is amazing. Produce is amazing, especially fruit. Like Oregon, people care about food, and like NY and LA they have a decent immigrant influence.

>> No.4494625

>>4494608
>>4494608
Great post. I've been all over the south, west, east and northeast but still haven't traveled to the northwest. Your points about Washington and Oregon seem valid, I look forward to going there.

>> No.4494628

>>4494559
New York pizza is fucking disgusting.

>> No.4494644

>>4494628
It is not, what I had was great. I like the big thin slices with a crisp bottom and minimal toppings. I can understand the argument that other types are better, just a preference of mine. I'm not a fan of deep dish at all.

>> No.4494646

How can anyone like NY pizza? It tastes like cardboard to me. It's like NY tried to copy the minimalism from the Italians but they forgot the flavor.

>> No.4494655
File: 271 KB, 1031x900, chicago lasagna.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4494646
Because I don't much care for going into a carb and sodium induced diabeetuc coma when I just want something for lunch. It tastes fine and one slice didn't make me feel like a piece of shit after I ate it for lunch.

>> No.4494657

>>4494646
You're obviously not going to reputable pizza places and just going to the first restaurant that claims "best pizza in NY"

> I hear this coffee place has the worlds best coffee

>> No.4494665

>>4494657
That guy's just trolling. Even the little dollar slice places aren't bad compared to what passes for pizza in most of the country.

>> No.4494672

>>4494608
5 star post right there

I can vouch for OR, WA, and SC

Washington has the best potatoes, not idaho
SC mustard bbq is hands down the best bbq in the US
OR and WA are great for cherries, and wine grapes

I personally think Texas bbq is boring. the meat is good, but the sauce is pretty pathetic. and it goes with white bread, of all things. Texans have too big of an ego about their mediocre barbeque

>> No.4494707
File: 120 KB, 525x394, texas bbq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4494672
I respect your opinion, and I agree that mustard BBQ is Godly. Texas BBQ is great though, especially the brisket. And I personally like the sauce. Typically it is very thin, almost like thicker water. Lots of vinegar and little sugar, usually spicy with jalapeno peppers. And that sausage around the San Marcos and Austin area, so good. I've had great BBQ all over the southern U.S. but Texas does have some quality stuff. And the white bread is only there to soak up the extra sauce and residue from the plate when you are done, it isn't meant to be enjoyed just as bread. No other bread can soak up puddles of bbq sauce and crumbs of brisket bark like a slice of spongy white bread.

>> No.4494715

>>4494672

WA fag here, our produce and seafood are elder god tier. We have some great dairy farms too.
From my travels, I can confirm OP's vote for texas and louisiana are good too.

>> No.4494743

>>4494707
Texan here. This nigga knows.

Also, don't forget about dem beans.

That said, I actually am not a huge fan of my state's style of sauce. I prefer Kansas style sauce, although the thin, spicy, tangy stuff we make here goes fucking GREAT on a chopped brisket sandwich.

>> No.4494746

>>4494584
Cincinnati, shut the fuck up.

>> No.4494752
File: 130 KB, 528x247, whataburger-boots-innout-texas.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4494743
Texan here as well. I don't care for the sugary sauces, I like mostly the tangy spicey Texas sauce and the mustard SC sauce best. And dem beans are wonderful as long as they stay away from the chili. Boracho beans are the best. Beans cooked in beer. Mmmmmm.

>> No.4494758

>>4494707

So the white bread is basically an edible napkin? Interesting.

>> No.4494763

>>4494758
Yes.

>> No.4494764

Chicago

>Pizza and hot dogs...

>> No.4494768

>>4494752
That's what I meant by beans, hardly anyone would serve BBQ and chili in the same meal. Borracho beans are one of the most delicious side dishes ever made.

SC sauces, I really don't like.

>>4494758
Pretty much. In a huge BBQ potluck, or at a good restaurant, it's not uncommon for both sliced white bread and rolls/biscuits to be served at the same time. The sliced white bread is for sopping up meat juices, BBQ sauce, bits of beans, potato/egg salad, or maybe folding a few slices of meat up in it.

The rolls/biscuits are there as the actual bread side.

>> No.4494788

>>4494655
>dat filename
I like you.

>> No.4494799

>>4494758
Exactly. Edible napkin is the best way I've heard it described. When you get a slice or two of untoasted white bread with your dinner you don't just eat them. They are there to sop up and top with whatever scraps and juices are left on the plate if you are still a little hungry after you're done. I'm no fan of eating plain white bread slices but I'll be damned if there isn't anything better than a slice of Texas toast sopping in sauce and BBQ residue and topped with a little potato salad, beans and maybe a little leftover sausage and coleslaw. It's like texas chop suey, all the leftovers mixed together, room temp and delicious. White bread is like a flavorless sponge, perfect.

>> No.4495327

>>4494758
Texan here. I didn't know this was anything special. My family always had a slice or two of bread apiece for our sit-down meals to sop up the various juices and gravies and sauces. I thought such a thing was universal.

First place I've seen bread so openly 'advertised' as edible napkins is at a BBQ joint called "Rudy's". There, if you ask for a napkin, they'll tear open a loaf of bread (cos fuck that twist-tie) and hand you a few slices. Good stuff. I recommend their pulled pork and sissy sauce :)

>> No.4495347

NM/CO - Mexican food... particularly Chile Verde or Chile Colorado with Hatch NM chilies. So sweet after fire roasting them you can eat them by themselves.

Chicago for deep dish
Milwaukee for Germanic/Polish food.

So.Cal for Mexican and No.Cal for Asian.

New York City for anything Mediterranean.