[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 60 KB, 310x300, thecocklovesyyourmom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4816228 No.4816228[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Soup, /ck/?

Is your mom still the best cook you've ever met?

ITT: Delicious recipes your mom used that rape your tastebuds.

I'll start
Southern Cubesteak & Gravy

Ingredients:
Cubesteak 3-6 pcs
Vegetable oil
Flour (enough to coat your cubesteak)
Onion
Sliced baby Portabello mushrooms
1 can Cream of Mushroom
Seasoning Blend (salt, Onion powder, Garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne, a touch of cumin - I do not know specifics, it's really a judgement call)

1.Combine Flour and seasoning blend in a bowl. Our rule of thumb is to add seasoning until you can smell it about 1ft from the bowl (it's not as much as you think). While doing this begin preheating your oil in a large frying pan. It should be about half as deep as the thickness of the cubesteak.

2. Coat the cubesteak very thoroughly in the flour blend. Once the oil is hot enough, Fry until golden brown and done through.

3. Once the cubesteak is done, DO NOT TOSS THE USED OIL. Instead, only pour out about 1/2 to 1/4 of it and lightly sautee your mushrooms and onions in it.

4.After they are sauteed, introduce some of your seasoned flower and about half and half milk/ water slowly while stirring to make a gravy. Getting this part right is not only difficult, it is essential to making the dish perfect. It should make a fairly thick, brown gravy. Once this is done and browned, add your vegetables and the can of Cream of Mushroom to it and heat. Once the gravy is combined and heated, just toss your cubesteak right back in (yup!) and serve with mashed potatoes and your choice of vegetables.

>> No.4816231

>>4816228
I've traveled the world extensively, had amazing ingredients, and eaten at incredible restaurants.

Oh course my mom's cooking isn't the best. Confirmed for first year undergrad who misses his mommy.

>> No.4816237

>>4816231
Nah, not in school.
Just a regular guy who still respects the shit out of his mom's cooking.

>> No.4816785
File: 784 KB, 796x736, bump.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4816811

My mom is a fantastic cook. I haven't eaten her cooking in a long time, though, because I live all the way across the country from her now. BUT, I get all nostalgia'd up when I think about her beef stew, her homemade soups, her prime rib dinners, her side dishes she makes for Thanksgiving....man, now I feel a little homesick.

>> No.4816814

>>4816228
No, she's pretty bad actually. She has 1 or 2 okay recipes.

>> No.4816855

>>4816231
>no respect for his hard working mom
>still in a trance from his first international semester and constantly talks about how different things are in glorious abroad
>thinks he's smarter, more worldly, and more cultured than everyone else because his entire frame of reference is based on the recent memory of high school and a bunch of 18-19 year olds he lives with and sees everyday

Second year undergrad syndrome detected.

>> No.4816943

>>4816855
Real world's gonna hit that nigger hard lol

>> No.4816947

>>4816811
feelsbadman.jpg

>Nostalgia about mom's cooking
>Call her and tell her thanks for all the free meals
>Try not to cry
>cry alot

>> No.4816977

My mother is an awful cook but my grandma can make anything taste really good. She used to work in a school cafeteria back when they actually made real food so she has cooking in her background. She's older now but still cooks every day for my family back home. I only get to see her once every few years.

>> No.4817315

Recipes anyone???

>> No.4817740

>>4816943
>>4816855
>no respect for his hard working mom
I have lots of respect for my mother, she just isn't as good of a cook as a trained chef in a restaurant or the private chef we had when I was growing up.

>still in a trance from his first international semester and constantly talks about how different things are in glorious abroad
I traveled from a young age, thanks to parents who were successful, worldly, and intelligent. I volunteered in Ecuador, Sri Lanka, Madagascar, Micronesia, Malawi, and Haiti before the age of 19. I've been to 5 international conferences in the last 2 years. Traveling is simply a part of my life and that of my family and peers.

>thinks he's smarter, more worldly, and more cultured than everyone else because his entire frame of reference is based on the recent memory of high school and a bunch of 18-19 year olds he lives with and sees everyday
See above.

>> No.4817752

>>4817740

10/10 would facepalm again

>> No.4817971

>>4817740
>this guy again

>> No.4818092

Sure is. Here's just one of her many offerings.

1. make your favorite traditional italian lasagne (she has a recipe and it's better than yours but I don't know it by heart)
2. STOP, don't use lasagne noodles
3. put in those barrel shaped ones- they get cheese and sauce all up in, delicious
4. buy ground sausage and shape it into thumb-sized meatballs
5. also use spiced ground beef
6. don't skimp the ricotta
7. pull it together with your beef and veal-based slow cooked tomato sauce

bake.

>> No.4818143

>>4817740

More unwarranted self importance.

Here's to hoping one of your flights crashes into the ocean.

>> No.4818173

>>4818092
... that's just manicotti, a Sicilian pasta that is popular also amongst Roman Jews.

>> No.4818207

>>4818143
Describe your life, I'm sure it isn't half as interesting as Richie Rich's life.

>> No.4818213

no, she is great but my dad is a chef and better than her. sorry mum

>> No.4818225

>>4818173
it's not manicotti, sorry if step 3 was misleading.

it's the smaller textured barrels, ziti? I feel like they're larger than ziti. But you don't stuff them, the sauce and whatnot just gets in there naturally. And you layer it like a lasagne.

Plus 100% more sausage meatballs.

>> No.4818406

I absolutely hate my mothers cooking. There, I said it.

>> No.4818759

>>4817740
oy goyim... the sheer amount of Jew in this response...

>> No.4818792

>>4816228
>Is your mom still the best cook you've ever met?
That honor goes to grandma. She's a fucking wizard in the kitchen. I've seen her turn what looked like garbage ingredients, add a little salt and garlic, and somehow produce something I would gladly pay for at a good restaurant.

>> No.4818807
File: 80 KB, 720x540, papajoe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4818792
Right?? My Grandfather, too. He's 100% Italian and has worked in pizza and italian joints in Chicago pretty much all his life. The man makes the best spaghetti and meatballs I've ever laid eyes on. And by meatballs I mean 1 giant assed meatball with pasta. I dunno what he puts in it, but fuck me, it doesn't even need sauce, man...
pic related, its him

>> No.4818809

>>4817740

So your mom was a pill popping ice queen who outsourced raising her children to subcontractors? Real fucking classy.

I'm friends with the heirs to a major American industrial dynasty, the family has more money than God, but the mom makes the food for the kids because they're actually decent human beings. And you know, she's actually a pretty good cook because as it turns out cooking isn't all that hard, and it's especially easy when you can afford an awesome kitchen, good ingredients and, presumably, some amount of training (I never asked).

>> No.4818820

Mom grills the best steaks I've ever had. It's well-done, but fuck yeah it beats the best medium rares I've ever loved by a long mile.

>> No.4818833

My mom cooked irregularly until my teens when I had to do it myself.
Many frozen meals (pot pies ect) were had.
I wish she'd have cooked healthier, and supervised my diet a little more.
I ate waaaaay too much American cheese and carnation instant breakfast crap.
She made nice roasted meat in the oven and good banana bread I think?
Why you gotta stir up muh feelings on a Sunday for Anon?

>> No.4818944

>>4818807
holy shit, this is possibly the most Italian man I've ever seen.

>> No.4818968

>>4818944
He would take that as a compliment, I promise you.

>> No.4819038

>>4818807
>you will never feel so content just relaxing with a cigar as this guy does

>> No.4819128

>>4818807
this right here is a man who's got his shit together. you couldn't possibly hope to fuck this man's day up.

I salute you, "Papa Joe"

>> No.4819143

No mom, but my dad can make really good chicken and dumplings- everything else was fast food.
My grandmother, before she got too old to do so, was a really fantastic cook, who made damn near everything from scratch. Candy, pies, stock, breads..whatever was possible, she made it.

>> No.4819157

>>4816228
Nah. She's alright I guess though.

The last frame of reference she has is from when I was a little kid and picky as hell, so naturally she can't grasp that I'm not picky anymore and fixes the exact same foods whenever I visit.

>> No.4819162

My mom's Cuban Beans. I have no recipe... Only memories of Cuban Beans and crusty bread.
Also, rich people typically have sad kids that are not well adjusted in the social sense. Note the chest puffing earlier in this thread.

>> No.4819214

Nobody gives a fuck about your moms or you relationship with her.

Post some recipes

>> No.4819218

I'm not really a huge fan of my parents' cooking. I know how to make most of the things they make that I like, though. I usually cook or eat out whenever I'm at home.

My mom makes god-tier grilled cheese that I can't make as well for some reason, though.

>> No.4819230

nope, but my grandmother was

>tfw no qt polish grandmother to feed me hand-made pierogi

RIP in peace babci ;__;

>> No.4819233
File: 295 KB, 534x400, jerkin_joe.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4819128
Jerkin Joe is also an Italian badass.

>> No.4819234

>>4819214
Post pics of mum.

>> No.4819257

My mom was an awful cook. Because of her, I thought hard boiled eggs were supposed to smell like sulfur.

Anyway, one recipe of hers I still make (its pretty much my favorite meal of all time) is chicken/broccoli/mushroom soup casserole.

There really isn't a recipe. I just dump 2-3 cans of cream of mushroom soup into a casserole dish then add chopped up cooked chicken, frozen broccoli, cheese, rice, and a little water. I then cook it for about an hour and a half at 350 degrees.

>> No.4819289

>>4816228

My mom has been a microwave frozen dinner type my whole life.

So no.

>> No.4819290

My mom is an amazing cook. I've started getting her to teach me her recipes when I'm at my parents house for the weekend. She was a pastry chef's apprentice when she was young, and was a cook in a couple of restaurants, but quit cooking for a living once she had kids, because she didn't want to be away from home that much. She can literally cook anything. If it's something she doesn't have much experience with (like the time we begged her to make sushi for New Year's Eve when we were kids), she'll research the food as much as possible and go all OCD and perfectionist about it to make sure it turns out good. The only downside is that generally she won't let people wander around in the kitchen while she's cooking, she pretty much treats it like a professional kitchen and yells at people who come and and mess around while she's cooking. Imagine if Gordon Ramsay were a woman (and not as wrinkly, lol). But her food is always fantastic. My friends love going with me to their house, because they know they're going to get a good feed.

>> No.4819305

>>4816228
One of the best. She taught me most of what I used as a base to learn advanced cooking techniques, and hell, is really supportive of me cooking and spenidng time in the kitchen.

>> No.4820193
File: 12 KB, 266x200, feeltrip.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4819038