[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 27 KB, 370x370, ING-white-button-mushrooms_sql[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4881762 No.4881762[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

The best organic alternative to meat is mushrooms.

I'm googling how to grow them but I don't understand it.

I want to grow mushrooms at home.

Which type are the easiest to grow?
Could I grow enough to eat 1lb of mushrooms per day year round?
Will eating all that fungi damage my body?

>> No.4881773

Meat= delicious, nutricious and full of energy.

Mushrooms= tastes nothing like emat and is only water.

How did you resonate?

>> No.4881779

>>4881773
You have to obviously season mushrooms as you would with meat along with cooking them in the same way that you would with meat (except maybe not in recipes that involve a lot of liquid)

Finely diced mushrooms seasoned properly taste just like ground beef

>> No.4881784

This could have been an interesting thread on use and cooking of mushrooms, but instead you had to bring in the anti-meat element and nutrition concerns.

>> No.4881788

>>4881784
Well the reason I am trying to stop eating meat is because of moral reasoning but you can make your own decisions.

>> No.4881801

>>4881784

this could've been an interesting thread, but instead of talking about the use and cooking of mushrooms, you had to complain about anti-meat elements and nutrition concerns.

you're jaded. go upstairs for the night, no dinner.

>> No.4881805

>>4881801
You're the only one complaining, faggot.

>> No.4881807

>>4881801
Relax why are you so aggressive

>> No.4881809

>>4881762

growing mushrooms is fairly intricate to start. they're probably all fairly difficult to grow at home.

you could grow enough, given the space and the determination.

it varies on the mushrooms.

>> No.4881812

>>4881807

i was not.

>> No.4881813

>>4881809
I heard that white button mushrooms only need compost (no woodchips or any of the other stuff) and it doesn't seem complicated it just confuses me.

Either it's extremely simple or I'm just not getting it

>> No.4881824

dude you can buy a mushroom starter kit for like 40 bucks on the webs. quit being a faggot.

>> No.4881827

>>4881824
Have you used one? What's actually inside of it? I would buy one if I understood the basics of wtf is actually going on with the things like the spores

>> No.4881870

>>4881827
actually no but i am about to research the beginner kits and buy one right now. looks like 25 bucks can get you started. i do have plenty of dead logs and stuff as i have some yard. guess ill have to /ck/ blog about it soon.

>> No.4881885
File: 48 KB, 562x250, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4881762
Yesterday i saw a report about mushrooms.
Here in germany you can buy selfmade-mushroom-boxes. It seems champignons are the easiest.
But in larger scale seems to be harder to grow.
In farms they use some ground material, made of hay from horseboxes and mixed with the mushroom itself. Than some earth for the mushroom head.
5 cicles can be grown out of it, than need to be replaced.

>>4881773
Champignons include nutritions, vitamins and minerals.

>> No.4881895

Mushrooms grow with great ease, and produce offspring that is unimaginable in number. Get one of the kits and you should be set for life.

>> No.4881896

I grew mushrooms for a while. While they were the illegal variety, you are probably better off just buying them. Otherwise stock up on brown rice flour and vermaculite and a shit ton of aluminum brownie trays.

>> No.4881909

>>4881827
>>4881870
There are different ones.
Some use wood other earth.

As far as i saw, the mushroom grows in the earth/wood, pour water to grow, when the mushroom heads pops out, they only spray some water on it, so the flavour dont get too thin.
As far as i see, only if the heads opens, they emit spores. The mushroom only grow in/on things they can digest. It wont spread itself maybe only smell.

>> No.4881919

With all the shitposting you see on /ck/, you'd think there'd be mushrooms all over the place around here

>> No.4881920

>>4881773

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcR4c25sJrA

Mushrooms actually help to undo the damage meat does. Dem phytochemicals, brah

>> No.4881929

>>4881920
>mushrooms
>phytochemicals

lol no

>> No.4881939

>>4881919
lol'd

>> No.4882066

I grew some oyster mushrooms -- pleurotus ostreatus, bought from QFC (kroger subsidiary). Find fresh looking oyster mushrooms that still have their mycelium intact; the white fuzz at the base of the stem.

Starbucks' used coffee grounds are a free source of carbohydrate, which the oyster mushrooms can feed on.

Rip up the oyster mushroom and put it into the coffee grounds, and put it into a produce bag from the store. You don't have to pack it full, in fact if you can pack it ~half way full and wrap the top you're good to go. Let it sit in a dark place, air it out once a day and keep moist.

It'll take a while to grow and your success rate won't be high, but it's cheap enough to try. When you see little stems of mushrooms growing, punch some holes into the bag and they'll grow out of there. Lots of how-to online as well.

>> No.4882074

you should grow some Psilocybe cubensis.
best shrooms ever.

>> No.4882121

>>4881809
Everything this anon said.

Some of my own tips:

- discard all the folklore and rumors and start with a nice book. I recommend starting with Paul Stamets "Mushroom Cultivator". I got started with that and it is solid. He runs fungi.com, but wrote that book long before he was slingin wares, so don't worry about him being a shill.

- if you're choked for space, stick with varieties that like dirt, otherwise if you have room for a big log to grow with, you can do either and grow anything.

- if you can follow instructions, get your spores from a good source, and don't skimp on a few essential tools, you can grow anything you want in any quantity, space permitting. Efficiency is one of the upsides. Once you're up and running, you can maintain a lifetime supply of the biological ingredients and only have to supply soil/wood, cheap nutrients, etc. All very low cost items.

- most important... Go try out some different mushrooms and see which ones you could potentially eat daily. I manage to squeeze them in 5 times a week or so, the rest of them I pickle or otherwise preserve and give them out as gifts, trade with people, etc.

>> No.4882173

>>4882121

And to answer your basic overview question... Up under the gills of mushrooms are spores. Think of it like pollen, except it is self-contained and doesn't require bees or a flower to mate and reproduce. Typically the wind will scatter the spores around all over the place, and under very specific circumstances, they will grow. Think about your lawn. The lawn is mowed, everything is cut to one height, then a rain comes along and boom, next morning there are mushrooms 5" tall growing in the lawn (some grow very fast).

Cultivating them works the exact same way, except you have to create those "very specific circumstances" yourself.

Some mushrooms like to eat wood, others live off nutrients in soil or other soft growth mediums. Either way, it starts with spores. When they have just the right temp., moisture level, and freedom from bacteria and other enemies, they grow into this fuzzy cottonball looking stuff. The fuzz keeps growing until it runs out of food. You can then take some of the fuzz and transplant it to another container with soil/wood, and it will start a new colony. So one jar of fuzz can make 7 more, then those 7 can be used to kick off 49 more jars, then those 49 can spawn 343 more jars and so forth. At this point you put them in the containers/wood they will be harvested from. A small change to the moisture/temp, and the mushrooms start sprouting left and right. You remove them, and a few days later, another batch pops up, etc.
1/2

>> No.4882198

>>4882173

Its a little more involved than that, but you get the idea. It is very simple, but there are a few challenges. Getting your spores to grow and take over the fuzzy jars before some other asshole mold like penicillin murders your spores and takes over requires you be all Walter White about contamination. Mushroom fuzz/mycellium is kind of wimpy like that, so you have to get it started in a sterile environment, eating sterile food, etc. Not as easy as it sounds. You can take a sterile petri dish with agar/nutrients in it, open it up for literally one second to expose it to the air, close it, then come back a few days later and *something* will be growing in it.

Good news is, once it gets rockin, it hangs in there pretty good. And the sterility hurdles are easy to overcome with some basic tools.

Lastly, as for the kits. I've never used one but it appears the seller handles all the steps up to where the jar of fuzz is added to the flower bed. I suppose theoretically you could chop up the kit and use it to innoculate several other flower beds, but at that point you have lost all control of sterility and every batch will be a crapshoot. Starting from spores however will make your process repeatable, predictable, cheaper, and give you unlimited varieties.

>> No.4882217

>>4882074

How do they taste?

Like if you cook them on stuff

>> No.4882621

i didnt order a kit cause after reading a while realized ok... do it right. i have substrates, gotta start preparing them. sounds like a fun new hobby my add will just love.

>> No.4882637

>>4882173
>Up under the gills of mushrooms are spores. >Think of it like pollen
They are more analogous to seeds, not pollen.

>> No.4882679

>>4881762
>what is a complete protein profile
nigger you must be dyel as fuck...

>> No.4882768

>>4881779
But they don't have that perfect ground meat texture anon. How can we fix that?

>> No.4882785

>>4881788
>please don't eat bambi
>all animals have souls just like you and me
>we can all befriends and eat plants once and for all
>plants ruin nature and destroy entire ecosystems
>plants do nothing for no one or anything they just spread and over populate
>i have seen an entire mountain covered in plants AN ENTIRE FUCKING MOUNTAIN!!
>i don't eat meat because i love animals
>i eat plants because i fucking hate those sociopath megalomaniacs