[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 463 KB, 620x465, Homemade-Pumpkin-Puree.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4949528 No.4949528[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hello there /CK/. This is Ανώνυμος.
So I got some fresh pumpkin the other day, and I decided to make some homemade pumpkin pie. I have the general plan already imagine, however I'm having issues about the pumpkin puree.
Most of the youtube videos regarding that, use commertial available puree, or make it in the oven. Since my oven is somehow unreliable/unstable at the time being, I was wondering if I can prepare my pumpkin puree in a pot, pretty much like a potato puree.
If yes, how should it be? With or without water?
Also, do you have anny suggestions for my pumpkin pie?
tltr; version: How to make homemade pumpkin puree.

>> No.4949762

>>4949528
You can boil it, but that will remove some of the flavor and sugars. A better method would be to steam it then mash it up or extrude it. Steaming will at least make it retain the sugar and flavor. Baking is best because it will evaporate water from it and condense the flavor and sugar making it tastier.

I find that mixing more than one type of squash or sweet potato into the recipe really improves the overall flavor. All of the following can be interchanged or substituted with each other in recipes that call for them: pumpkin, sweet potato, acorn squash, and butternut squash.

>How to make homemade pumpkin puree.

Cook them they mash them (potato masher), beat them (egg beater/mixer), or extrude them (potato ricer). If you want to add some flavor to your puree and remove some water, you can fry portions of it in a skillet. This will caramelize some of it and remove water.

>> No.4950480

>>4949528
If you can't use the oven I would steam it. I've steamed sweet potatoes, mashed them, and made them into pie, so I imagine it would work just as well for pumpkins as long as you can cut it out of the shell/rind/whatever and fit it all in a steamer.

>> No.4950490

>>4949762
i like your tips but it just isn't a pumpkin pie to me anymore if it has sweet potato in it....

so many times when i was little

"hey kiddo want pumpkin pie for thanksgiving"

"YEA YEA YAYYYYY :D "

>they come home
>take a bite
>throw up
>its sweer potato pie

every tiem

"oh sorry we didn't read it"

>> No.4950513

>get a pumpkin thats smallish.
>chop it up.
>roast wedges of pumpkin at 375 for 45 minutes on a baking sheet.
>peel off skin
>mash mash mash, or use a food processor.

The end.

>> No.4950518

>>4950513
re-read OP.

Or steam. Don't boil it.

>> No.4952074

>>4950518

I was going to recommend that.

>> No.4952715

>>4950490
anybody ever experience this?

>> No.4953139

bumpin thread

>> No.4953299

>>4950490
Sweet potato pie is godly, what is wrong with you?

>> No.4953365

>>4953299
i personally don't like sweer potato, but i have nothing against it.

what really makes me upset is when someone gives me pumpkin pie and it turns out to just be sweer potato pie.

it tastes completely different...

i really don't like the idea of someone using it as a substitute for real pumpkin in a pie and then calling it pumpkin pie when it is at that point a sweet potato pie, but then they insist its still a pumpkin pie and they want me to eat it or they get mad at me...

i have post traumatic stress disorder from a few different things at this point in my life.

i really enjoy and appreciate real pumpkin pie, without any sneaky tricks or substitutions that simply don't work, unless there was a substitute that did work, but i haven't found one yet and have no logical reason to look for it, unless it was just for learning and fun.

i like pumpkin pie.