[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 34 KB, 285x285, 90844_285.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5024204 No.5024204[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Let's talk knives, /ck/. I'm finally got the money to get a nice chef's knife, and I don't want to fuck it up. So...

>What do you use
>Would you recommend it

>> No.5024214

keep it in a knife block, strop it after every use, sharpen it occasionally
that's it

>> No.5024218

I use a tojiro dp 240mm as my main knife.

I recommend it with reservations. The cladding gives it a gummy feel on the stones, which I don't like. It takes a good edge and holds it for a decently long time. The fit & finish isn't exactly impressive. But for the $55 I paid for it at the time, it was the best deal around. I think mine is from when they were 19c27 core and they supposedly changed them to VG10 a while back.

>> No.5024270

>>5024214
Good to know, thanks.
>>5024218
From what I'm seeing, it looks like it'll be about $75 to pick one up. How's the handle feel? Seems like it could be a little hefty, but that's not necessarily a bad thing

>> No.5024277

>>5024270

You can't judge the feel by looking at it. By that logic the misono UX10 would be uncomfortable whereas it is actually one of the most comfortable handles I've tried.

Anyway my tojiro is somewhat blade heavy, if you are asking about balance. Handle is fine.

>> No.5024315
File: 613 KB, 4143x956, SBK-105.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5024204
I use Mac Ultimate Knives. They are the best you can get, without going overboard.

If I had 1 knife, it would be the Mac Ultimate SBK-105, or the SKS-105.

>> No.5024324

>>5024315
>>5024204
For less expensive option, the Mac MTH-80 is spectacular.

>> No.5024415
File: 632 KB, 1000x2250, Knife Guide - part 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5024204
I made a little guide, hopefully it steers you in the right direction.

>> No.5024425

>>5024415
>bread eater

What does this even mean? Someone who subsists entirely on bread?

And why is the santoku better for someone with a tiny kitchen, if it is the same length as a chef's knife?

>> No.5024457
File: 35 KB, 448x336, chinese cleaver.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5024204
>What do you use
>Would you recommend it

I tried regular chef's knifes, 150 bucks Shun Classic Chef's knifes, three bucks Santokus and thirty bucks chinese chef's knifes.

They all did their job just fine, given that they were stroped and sharpened regularily. I simply like the chinese one because I enjoy the utility of having a blade broad enough to scoop up whatever I'Ve cut, don't see the point of having an accute point on a kitchen knife and I prefer my knuckles to be well away from the cutting board. It can also serve as a cradle, if need be.

If that's what you want from your chef's knife, you might wanna try a chinese one.

>> No.5024462

>>5024425
It's one inch smaller.

>>5024415
Could you post the second part as well?

>> No.5024463
File: 229 KB, 1024x683, 1387128243244.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5024457
I'm right with you, Anon.My go to knife has been a Chinese cleaver for a couple decades now. I have other knives, but rarely reach for them.

>> No.5024469
File: 973 KB, 1000x3000, Knife Guide - part 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5024425
>What does this even mean? Someone who subsists entirely on bread?
These are not technical terms. Someone who buys or makes a lot of unsliced bread might benefit from a bread knife. Someone who buys whole chicken or fish will benefit from a boning knife. The point is that it's better to add knives to your collection based on personal needs.

>And why is the santoku better for someone with a tiny kitchen, if it is the same length as a chef's knife?
In situations where there is very little counter space, I find it easier to use a short, flat edged blade like a santoku or nakiri.

>>5024462
Sure

>> No.5024480

I bought a Wüsthof Classic only yesterday, it feels really nice in the hand and with excellent balance. Same goes for my Wüsthoff Gourmet and my F. Dick Premier Plus, all 9''. German blades do not hold an edge like the japanese but they are far less finicky with sharpening and upkeep and usually do not chip, which is an issue with many Japanese blades.

What constitutes a nice knife for you ($) and what have you been using so far? Can you sharpen your own knives on a stone?

>> No.5024488

>>5024204
Get whatever you want. A cleaver is ridiculous to use for everything. Use a german knife if you have money and want a heavier feel in your knife, japanese for a lighter blade, and plenty of cheap knives you can find reviews of online. The knife should fit you. I think a chef's knife, santoku, and paring knife should cover most basics, add in a bread knife (serrated) and other stuff and don't buy off cult reputation, buy off what fits your cooking style, height, and stature.

>> No.5024496

>>5024480
> usually do not chip, which is an issue with many Japanese blades

It is how hard steel responds to failure. It's about as valid a criticism as saying German steel has a tendency to roll.

If you increase the angle of the edge, the chipping is less visible and you will get closer and closer to the traditional style teutonic meat axe. Most people who understand how to take care of their stuff use an edge angle that's appropriate for their habits. People who don't, put a random edge on their knives, or just run with the factory edge forever, then unconsciously grow accustomed to their own knife's faults, and then any other knife that doesn't behave in the exact same way suddenly has "issues" because they don't know how to use a tool properly.

>> No.5024540
File: 28 KB, 608x266, ZW_BL_FIVE-STAR_Knife.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Zwilling J.A. Henckels Five Star (Chef's Knife)

I don't use it as often as i should, but overall i'm very satisfied with it, i paid 25€'s for it by collecting points from a store chain. Would recommend this for hobbyists, but chef knives from Zwilling's more expensive lines seems to be the one if cooking is not just a hobby (ones that are 75€ more).

I also use a J.A. Henckels International Chinese chef's knife, its cheap, but i use this way more often, would recommend for its build quality for such a low price and versatility. I really love using Chinese chef's knives

>> No.5024550

>>5024480
I favor wusthof classic as well, but really it depends on personal preference. Its like saying "what care should I buy" without context.

>> No.5024581

>>5024496

If OP already knew enough about "appropriate angles" and how to "use a tool properly" he wouldn't be posting here ...

Jap knives tend to be harder and more brittle and therefore tend to chip more, German knives tend to roll more, I never said they didn't. Rolled edges are a lot easier to fix than chippe ones. What was the real point of your post anyway ...?

>> No.5024597

>>5024204
I bought a henkels twin pro S for 60 dollars at big lots. They normally retail for double that. Actually, I bought three because I'm weird like that.

>> No.5024619

>>5024581
>what was the real point

The real point was that you are spreading ignorant opinions based on what you read on the internet. Is that direct enough for you?

Rolled edges and microchipped edges both require a tool to fix. They make grooved steel rods to touch up soft knives, and they make ceramic rods for harder knives. For more serious fixing, a bench stone is required in both cases.

While we're questioning each other's motives, what was the "real point" of your post? Please help me understand why you are posting. I want to pretend to be a nice guy while actually being as passive-aggressive as humanly possible.

>> No.5024647

>>5024415
>injecting your own opinions in
>suggesting a shitty santoku
Filtered.

>> No.5024669

>>5024469
>In situations where there is very little counter space, I find it easier to use a short, flat edged blade like a santoku or nakiri.

My mum likes using tiny cutting board, so she really digs the small santoku I brought back home with me. She's only grabbing the high-class chef's knife whenever we've got a whole damn lot of stuff to cut... like during the annual family gatherings at christmas.

>> No.5024739
File: 1.04 MB, 2592x1936, IMG_20111219_205629.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Another Nomination for Shun. I got a 8" Chef's knife which works fantastically for just bout everything. My parents have a Shun Santoku which is perfect for chopping and small jobs.

They cost a lot, but the steel used keeps an edge for longer.

>> No.5024777

>>5024739
The Mac MHT-80 is better. Keeps the edge longer, and is more comfortable.

>> No.5024791

>>5024777

Question for the mac fanbois: why are they so vague about the steel they use? It reminds me of when Nenox tried to go all obscure with their super expensive knives and it eventually came out that they were using VG-1 or some low-end crap like that.

>> No.5024811

>>5024791
I don't know why they are vague, and I don't care.

I know that they hold an edge forever, and are extremely sharp. It does not matter to me what type of steel they use, as long as it is good, which it clearly is.

>> No.5024828

What are some good sites to order these kinds of knifes online?

>> No.5024852

>>5024619

If you seriously use a grooved steel to "touch up" your knives I know which one of us is the ignorant one. A rolled edge is best righted again with a smooth rod, or the back of another knife, or the handle of a large spoon or something similar and no material is removed ... unlike a chip for which you have to remove a whole stretch of the edge.

I have no trouble sharpening a knife so I can shave the hair from my arms with it, I do not only read about sharpening.

and, protip: trying to be the first to accuse the other of having "uninformed opinions" does not really win any arguments. I know it seems like that here often, but remember, this is 4chan, not real life.

>> No.5024860

>>5024828
chefknivestogo.com
japanesechefsknife.com

>> No.5024859

>>5024828
Which country are you in?

>> No.5024863

I've used Shun, Mac, Fujiwara, F Dick, Hoffritz, Kaneshige, and about a dozen others. I'm not a professional chef, but I do a helluva lot of cooking.

Hard steel holds edges longer, but is far more likely to chip. Soft steel doesn't hold an edge for long, but rarely chips. The exact same holds for santoku or san mai vs standard edges. Hard steel santoku knives hold edges for a helluva long time but are rediculously easy to chip. Soft steel standard almost never chips, but you practically have to hone it after every use.

Either way, you're going to have to either hone it often or take it to a knife smith occasionally. Don't grind chips out of knives yourself; a good knife smith will always do a better job.

Honestly I prefer a mid-carbon knife...0.7-0.9% carbon. They're cheaper and having to hone it occasionally takes practically no time at all. Shun, Mac and other high-carbon knives can't take any abuse and even the best chef will occasionally fumble and twist the knife slightly when cutting. It's literally heart-rending to chip a $300 blade.

If the knife manufacturer won't tell you what type of steel they're using, or what carbon rating it has, don't buy the knife. Go educate yourself on the different types of steel so you know what you're getting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_blade_materials

Just remember: Don't use carbon steel when cutting anything acidic; use a stainless knife instead.

>> No.5024900

>>5024859
portugal

>> No.5024919

>>5024900
Oh...

I don't know.

Maybe you can order from the UK.

http://www.japaneseknifecompany.com/

>> No.5024928

>>5024852
>If you seriously use a grooved steel to "touch up"

I don't use a grooved steel unless I'm stuck somewhere using someone else's equipment, because I do not own one, or any knives that require one. They are a disaster for sharp knives, but they're perfect for Wusthofs and similar, which benefit from the rough edge you get from a grooved steel, since such knives can't hold an edge to begin with. That's why everyone who uses such knives has one, and uses it religiously. In the absence of a proper hard edge, a rough aggressive fragile edge that can easily be recreated by shredding up the edge with a grooved rod is preferable.

>unlike a chip for which you have to remove a whole stretch of the edge

If you're getting visible chips at all, you're abusing your knives or you put the wrong kind of edge for the task (which is really the same thing).

On a micro level the difference between rolling an edge back into place and sharpening the microchips out of the edge is the difference between painting over a rusted car door without removing the rust first, and doing it the right way. Doing it the right way requires removing metal. With soft knives some of this metal is distressed steel. With hard knives, the distressed steel is gone and all that's left is an irregular edge of hard steel that needs to be polished up.

>I have no trouble sharpening a knife so I can shave the hair from my arms with it

And how long does that edge remain? If you can't shave your arm after the first onion, it was a burr, not an edge.

>> No.5024942

>>5024860
>>5024919
thank you, i will check these out

>> No.5024971
File: 4 KB, 300x300, 31NoH-7wCbL._SY300_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One of my favorite knives is my dirt cheap Chicago Cutlery 8" chef knife. It think it was only $9.99

Compares favorably with other knives 5x the price

>> No.5025368

>>5024469
Oh man, there's a three?
Thanks for this one, can you just dump the whole image set?

>> No.5025688

>>5025368
I haven't made the third one yet.

>> No.5026773

>>5024928
>If you're getting visible chips at all, you're abusing your knives or you put the wrong kind of edge for the task (which is really the same thing).

Plenty of folks over at kitchenknifeforums.com who are professional chefs with 20+ years in the industry, with every knife imaginable, including $1000 customs and who treat sharpening as a religion with a dozen of the finest stones a nd a microscope and they STILL get chipping. So what qualification does it take in your opinion to get it right?

Kitchen work is rough and the knife should be able to take it. If you need 30 years of training in a secret Tibetan monastery or you must never cut anything but overripe bananas in the palm of your hand to prevent you knife from chipping it is a shit knife.

also, I have just cut up a fist sized piece of hard, smoked ham with my knife and I can STILL shave with it. It was not a burr. Btw the knife is the cheapest Henkels parer, made in Spain, that I bought as B-quality reject many years ago, for three dollars.

>> No.5026806

I feel weird for owning a basic set of Cutco. They're not pretty, but they're nice, especially if you're left handed..I've used other knives before: Pampered chef, Chicago cutlery, Wusthof. I guess from my experience, it's a good idea to have a knifes that have a full tang. As always, care for them: use them only for their made purpose (e.g.: long serrated knife for breads, not veggies), sharpen when necessary, and use the back of the knife to cut stuff.

>> No.5026826

>>5026806
>use the back of the knife to cut stuff.

Huh? I guess you mean use the back of the knife to scrape stuff off the cutting board.

>> No.5027286

>>5026826
I think he meant the part of the edge that's towards the handle

>> No.5027692
File: 2.85 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_20131216_135010.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5027703

>>5027692

Is that some kind of jewfag symbol of defiance against your German overloads?

>> No.5027710

>>5027703

No, it's just a standard way of trolling fanbois. Especially with traditional legacy brands where recalcitrant anachronists defend their inferior obsolete products until they're blue in the face.

>> No.5027721

>>5027703
Didn't realise /pol/ was active on this board as well. It's a broken knife that I need to send back to Henckels for replacement.

>> No.5027731

>>5024415
A question for you.

The knife my family gave to me as a gift has bent (shun shit, I swear I wasn't abusing), and I use a Messermeister at work, but I use it so much on so many different things that the edge is having trouble staying.

With the Holidays, Mercer blades are incredibly cheap, and several blades from japanesechefsknives are on sale for 100-150 (the max I want to spend).

I want a knife that can hold an edge for as long as possible, knowing that I occasionally accidentally strike a bone at work cutting butchered hunks of meat into steaks, and I'll occasionally have to crunch through a whole chicken, sections of a duck, and I cut fish through the bone in several different ways.

>> No.5027774

>>5027721
Hating jews isnt a /pol/ thing, it is something done by everyone. A people who have been kicked out of 200 countries in 2000 years have to be doing something wrong.

>> No.5027787

Heh, I may be somewhat weird in this regard, but I never really cared too much about the knife. I have a kitchen knife, but it's kitchen because of it's current role, not what it was made for.

It started as fisherman knife, was my father's when he was working on a ship in his youth. Long, slightly curved blade, less wide than what regular kitchen knife has. Something that looks as useful for gutting people as fish.

Using it to this day. It's formerly sharp tip got slightly chipped and the whole thing is quite old but in general, it's useful for whatever I do. I may need to sharp it soon, though.

Moral of the story, get just a durable knife that you're comfortable with. If you can cut/chop/slice/dice the stuff you want to prepare, you'll do it with almost any regular knife.

>> No.5027815

I got a knife set made by a webshop that sells knives. It's VG-10 steel, and it set me back around 150 euro for a: Chef knife, Utility knife, office knife, meat knife, bread knife, a block and a honing rod.
I have the set for about 1.5 years know, the chefs knife and bread knife at my work, they get professionally sharpened 1-2 times a year.
Apart from the sharpening, honing multiple times a work day, and some sharpening in between.
The other knives never got professionally sharpened, but I used a ikea sharpening device. They stay pretty sharp, are pretty balanced, and cut pretty good. Everything you can expect from knives that aren't that expensive.

As for tips, here are some obvious ones:
-Cutting board should be wood of plastic.
-Hone before cutting
-A sharp knife is a save knife
-Wash and dry immediately after using, do not put in dishwasher.

>> No.5027828

>>5027721
Evin I hate those hook nosed kykes and I've been to /pol/ maybe a handful of times.

>> No.5027844

A cheap knife from walmart since all knives require sharpening at least once a month

>> No.5027902
File: 16 KB, 200x210, spurdo es ebin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

euroshopper 5euro knife

>> No.5028771

>>5027692
How in the hell?

You know you're not supposed to use it sideways, right? Just up and down.

>> No.5030750
File: 126 KB, 561x370, original.0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5028771
>You know you're not supposed to use it sideways, right? Just up and down.

Ever wonder why Wusthof owners always whine about Japanese knives having a problem with chipping?

Yeah.