[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 26 KB, 600x400, rognons.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5272517 No.5272517[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Offal general. Share your thoughts and recipies about these meats.
Remember - the further inside the animal, the better!

I can recommend veal kidneys french style with mustard. Pic related

Other favourites are veal thymus, liver and bone marrow.

Has anyone here tried devilled kidneys?

>> No.5272547

Osso Bucco is about as far "inside" an animal I'm willing to go. Although, I do enjoy the occasional fried liver and onions and chicken livers wrapped in bacon and deep fried...

>> No.5272548

>>5272517
You are an awful person.

>> No.5272561
File: 16 KB, 691x597, 1345740925322.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Go to local diner two years ago
>Special of the day is deep fried calf liver with bacon and onions
>Really departs from their normal soup/sandwich stuff
>Has a "trust us it's fukken good" disclaimer
>Decide to try it
>That rich iron-y flavour and unique texture

I eat more organs than flesh cuts now. I really enjoy foie gras pâté and braunschweiger.

>> No.5272582
File: 74 KB, 1440x900, 1356379463063[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>day before thanksgiving, prepping turkey
>don't feel like using heart, gizzard, and liver for gravy
>Sautee with garlic, butter, leftover shitake, and white wine
>eat with pasta
>mfw

>> No.5272601

>>5272561
Oooohh, I forgot about liverwurst. My grandmother used to get it from her butcher. It was made fresh from goose liver. They were the sandwiches of my childhood...

>> No.5272640

recommendations on what to do with 4 pig/pork kidneys i have in the freezer? i liked your idea, think the same can be done with them?

>> No.5272710
File: 344 KB, 938x702, 124157840851s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm fine with offal so long as it's from the front half of the body. No kidneys or pig anus.

>> No.5272730

I tried and liked all organ meat I've had so far. Liver, kidneys, heart, tongue and tripe. Got to say that tripe was underwhelming until I made it into a menudo style soup, then it was the best thing for hangovers

I've got some pork cheek ready for tomorrows stew that'll help sober me up from the six nations. But I realise that isn't really offal

>> No.5273859

>>5272640
I don't think so. I suspect pig kidneys have a too strong taste.
Why don't you try the traditional english way of serving them on toast as devilled kidneys and report back here how it was.

>> No.5273927

how do I into offal? I just find the whole
concept of eating non muscle parts of an animal disgusting but like this thread man, makes me want to try it.

>> No.5273977

>>5273927
If you're used to eating only muscles of animals you might find the flavours to be very strong until you get used to them. Do you like sheep or goat meat? If you do, you might find it easier. I personally prefer a stronger flavoured cut of meat than just a steak, although I don't think there's anyone in the world who would reject a nice juicy piece of meat.

Go easy at first, don't go eating things like trip which has a texture pretty difficult to get used to. Get some beef heart and grill it flat like you would a steak. Then just start experimenting with the different cuts. The issue they're not popular as much in the west is not because they taste bad but because of convenience. Often times they take a long time to stew to make them tender enough to eat and people don't have the time for that. It's why the "off" cuts are more popular in places where traditionally people spend more time on cooking, like Mexico or Asia.

I'm on a diet now, haven't cooked anything in a long time with offal. I'm craving some pork ear sandwiches or lengua tacos ;_;

>> No.5274374

>>5273927
For a beginner, I would suggest chicken liver and heart. It has a very mild flavour and is delicious. Fins a recipe you like and try it.

Try liver or kidney next time you eat at a restaurant. Traditional mexican restaurants should have offal on the menu for example.

>>5273977
>don't go eating things like tripe
Definitely this

>> No.5274463

not entirely shure if this counts but a doe i shot was preggers and hey a frree second smaller deer. stuffed the inside with carrots and carmalized onons, red potatoes in the bottom of the pan to cook in the juices and garlic, some lemon slices, and i dont remember what spices i used, i skined it because fur, so i ended up puting a turkey skin on it to seal in moisture, roasted it. so yum. the meat was so mild that it absorbed the flavors.

>> No.5274495

>>5274463
>eating unborn animals
Not it doesn't count, but damn that sounds delicious. I ate oven-baked suckling pig once and the meat just fell apart. In Segovia, Spain, they serve suckling pig so tender that you can cut it with the edge of a plate.

>> No.5274553

also the collar or cheek on a large fish is a yummy thing its near the gills, on the face of a fish.

>> No.5274558

Avoid kidneys and liver, they pick up all the poison/antibiotics in the body.

Stomach/brains however...

>> No.5274577

>>5274558
so the human brain should be avoided, as it filters toxins?

>> No.5274603

>>5274558
Source? It's not harmful and doesn't store 'toxins' more than any other part of your body.

Brain, however can be a little dangerous (as is bone marrow) due to the mad cow disease. Not that you should worry though.

>> No.5274641

What's the most inside of an animal? Is it the heart? the kidneys?

>> No.5274649

Offal should be eaten only in a gourmand kind of sense, because it's not wasteful and it can be prepared in a traditional or delicious way.

It is, however, not good for you. It carries risks. It is and was the discarded part of animals because of fat, toxins, and even more so as animal farming got more high tech, from communicable diseases to drugs to fight them. There are no other arguments.

Why fear mad cow? Because it's incurable, and you can't kill it in meat nor on hospital equipment. It might be more common than anyone knows because no major hospital will biopsy suspected cases, and most don't bother with autopsies either. To that degree, it's known to be within connective nervous tissue and the brain. You would think a diseased cow would not be slaughtered, but no one actually cares. It's a slow growing disease which only has symptoms in end stages.

>> No.5274714

>>5274649
The risk is still pretty damn slim, and don't forget mad cow disease is only in the nervous system.

>It is and was the discarded part of animals because of fat, toxins
Guess what a hunter-gatherer eats first from a fresh kill? The liver. Guess what you offer to your guests in arabia and east africa? The liver and heart.

I very much doubt the liver contains more 'toxins' (lol) than any other part of the animal, and a quick search seems to confirm this.

>> No.5274765

>>5274558
if you drain the kidney it really ain't much of a problem. the kidney doesn't "store" any toxins...

liver might have some metabolic remains, still nothing you should worry about too much if you eat it in moderation.

>> No.5274781

Offal is just... well... awful.