[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 171 KB, 1280x1024, typicalamerican.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5301859 No.5301859 [Reply] [Original]

>Work as a cashier at Walmart
>Notice a huge correlation between food people buy and their skin
>People coming through with processed food, soda, dairy, lots of grains, etc. have the worst acne imaginable
>People with lots of produce and meat have great skin

do you think there's a relation between diet and acne, /ck/?

>> No.5301862

>do you think there's a relation between diet and acne, /ck/?

No shit Nostradumbass.

>> No.5301867

When I stopped eating fast food my acne cleared up real well.

>> No.5301868

>>5301862
Most people deny that there is. Even a lot of Western dermatologists.

>> No.5301878

i buy a variety of junk food and produce. i have mediocre skin, but i wear foundation anyway. i'm in your walmart, skewing your data.

>> No.5301879

>>5301868
There's a relation but it's far from the only cause. The problem is also exacerbated by the fact people who buy nothing but garbage [different from garbage in moderation] tend to not take facial hygiene too seriously in the first place.

>> No.5301896

>>5301859
>do you think there's a relation between diet and acne

Yeah, they're both cofounded with teenagers. Teenagers have acne because they are going though puberty. They also make poor shopping decisions.

>> No.5301924

I have been running my own experiment by drinking 2 cups of milk a day for two weeks, and then stopping for two weeks. Repeat two more times

my conclusion: DAIRY WORSENS ACNE

>> No.5301926

>>5301859
Absolutely not. All I eat is junk food and I've never had acne even in my teenage years.

>> No.5301927

>>5301924
By the way I have a very good diet, eat at a restaurant about twice a week, fast food once a week, otherwise homecooked Iranian or American food

>> No.5301931

>>5301859
That image is repulsive. I don't know how anyone could handle that.

I had a spot the other week and I just got rid of it asap. Better to bleed and be red for one day than have a gross white lump linger for weeks.

Why is basic hygiene so foreign to people in general? I feel sick if I haven't exfoliated and cleansed my face at least once a day.
>>5301879
This.

>> No.5301939

>>5301924
wait you didn't tell us if your acne worsened at all
>>5301926
I hope you will never do any research

>> No.5301942

>>5301879
>not taking facial hygiene seriously

Oddly, my acne all but stopped when I stopped washing so much. Now I only occasionally wash my face with water, and that has worked better than anything. The only time I get any acne is when, surprise surprise, I act like a retard and eat a bunch of candy or similar bullshit.

>> No.5302028

>>5301859
wuh...what the fuck, did they wash there face with a bucket of KFC?

>> No.5302038
File: 14 KB, 204x200, 12523165423.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5301859
I camped for 2 months last summer
>Lost all my acne
Got back to the computer screen
>My acne came back in a few days

>> No.5302036

>>5301942
If you're male it's probably because you finished going through puberty and your hormones stopped shitting themselves

Also, maybe you overwashed your face before. I'm pretty sure overwashing strips your face and increases sebum production..or something. Idk

I eat a lot of junk food but I don't see any correlation between it and having worse skin. I get hormonal acne sometimes but that's even when I'm eating pretty well

>>5301931
Acne isn't always a byproduct of poor facial hygiene, a lot of it is hormonal which is why teenagers in particular are prone to suffering from shit skin. Also the reason why pregnant women, women going through menopause and menstruating women tend to get pimples. Most males stop breaking out past puberty

Also you probably shouldn't exfoliate your face more than once a day. Actually you probably exfoliate more than once or twice a week, esp if you're using a physical exfoliant. If your skin's fine you can probably just wash your face with a cleanser at night then with water in the morning and you'll be fine. Overwashing your face is like overwashing your hair

Anyways uhh I digress

>> No.5302049

>>5302036
Unless puberty can extend into the early 20s (which as far as I know, could be the case in some sense, I don't know) it isn't that. But yes, I personally was probably overwashing my sensitive skin, for which almost no hygiene is better than too much. The fact that my skin is weak and sensitive may contribute to the fact that diet seems to effect it. It seems that acne is such an annyoingly multi-faceted issue that it's hard to make very specific claims.

>> No.5302055

There's probably some relationship but I think it's probably more that people who eat like shit don't take care of themselves in general

both in high school and today i have friends who eat like shit and have perfect skin, and others who eat fairly healthy and do not have clear skin

>> No.5302056

>>5301927
lol, that is not a good diet

>> No.5302058

>tfw acne scars

I wish I wasn't such a greasy slob as a teenager
A lot of what causes, or determines the intensity of, may be genetics but food is tied for a close 2nd next to hygiene

>> No.5302072

>>5302058
There's some acne nuking medicine, it makes women go infertile but if you're a man you're fine.

>> No.5302080

I eat fast food sparingly and I've always had a pretty good diet but for as long as I can remember I've had acne. I'm not as bad as OP's pic but I'm not that far away from it either. It's lowered my self-esteem something fierce. I had some blood work done and apparently my testosterone levels are elevated so my doctor put me on a diuretic for that. Hopefully I can see some improvement soon.

>> No.5302086

I stopped regularly eating chocolate. It was as simple as that. Granted I stopped around 18-19 so it may have just been a coincidence

>> No.5302089

>>5302058
research and buy a retinoid cream and/or a BHA exfoliant

Both will help with cellular turnover, depending on how old and how deep your scars are you should see results in a few weeks after using them

If you do end up using a retinoid though, a word of advice: keep using it every few days after your skin reaches a desirable state for several months to a year. The downside of retinoids is sometimes their results can revert (to varying degrees) after you stop application

Another thing you can do is make a yoghurt mask:
- ground oatmeal
- plain/greek yoghurt
- lemon juice

I don't know the exact amounts cus I eyeball it, but you want the body of the mask to be oatmeal. The yoghurt and lemon juice helps bind it together and in application. 3:1 ratio of yoghurt to lemon juice i think. Mix it together and apply to face for 30 min or so, wash off. Do this 2-3 times a week. It should even out your skintone and get rid of shallow scars. Your skin should look better after the first few applications but you're gonna have to keep at it

>> No.5302090

>>5302072
acne nuking medication gave me kidney damage in high school
shit was so not cash

>> No.5302091

>>5302072

>it makes women go infertile

tell me more about this magic "two birds, one stone" cream, anon.

>> No.5302105

I had acne up until my mid twenties when I decided to stop eating junk and drinking sugary drinks and dropped from 240 to 155 pounds. I don't know if that's the cause but I now have skin as smooth as a baby's ass, also no more stomach aches, depression, sleepless nights, etc ...

>> No.5302119

Hell yeah!
I used to have mild acne when I still ate dairy products and drank milk. Now, everyone asks what I do to make my skin nice and I don't wear makeup so it's food.
Egg is rough on my skin so I avoid it too.

>> No.5302130

>>5302072

Isotretinoin a.k.a. Accutane?

>> No.5302138

OP's picture isn't worksafe plz delete!

>> No.5302145

>>5301859
Think? No, I don't think that, I know it. Diet absolutely has a huge effect on acne.

Assuming we're talking about beyond the normal small range of teenage hormonal acne, though even then it plays a role.

>> No.5302175

i eat very little processed foods but i still get acne, its not bad but its still there.
the placement is the weird part, its almost symmetrical to my face
>one in the middle of my forehead (the exact middle)
>behind my jaw
>edges of my hairline
>my cheeks
nothing extreme, but its there.

>> No.5302191

i have a pretty shitty diet, but my skin isn't too shitty. a couple zits every 31 days.

i think acne is more of an immune system/hormonal thing. not even hygiene, because most people who have acne wash their ace like crazy trying everything to make it go away.

>> No.5302195

OP, google "Pubmed"

It's a like a google for scientific papers that scientis and doctors rely on

>> No.5302217

Apparently rubbing sugar and aspirin deep into your pores will assist with acne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQLLcu6tyEU

>> No.5302218

>>5302138
>OP's picture isn't worksafe plz delete!
Not everyone works at Proactiv®.

>> No.5302221

Dairy products (specifically dairy fat) give me horrendous nodular acne. This is the case for lots of people. I've been dairy free for years. Every once in a while I cave, maybe a slice of pizza, or pasta with cream sauce, and within 24-48hrs I start developing deep, painful acne. Shit sucks man.

>> No.5302226

Where the fuck do you freaks live? I can't even remember the last time I saw someone with even mild acne. Best I can remember was like 10 years ago, in high school. Are you all 15 or some shit?

>> No.5302235

there is actually no scientific proof for your claim and biologly it doesn't make much sence, since anything you eat will be broken down completly, so aslong as your food is tasty you should be fine

>> No.5302239

>>5302235
Acne is hormonal. Are you implying that what you consume doesn't affect your homones? Do you know what insulin is? You are objectively wrong.

>> No.5302244
File: 2 KB, 126x126, fisheyes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5301927

>good diet
>eating out three times a week

>> No.5302261

There might be, but I ate horribly all through my young adult years and I've always had amazing skin. I haven't noticed a change in my skin since beginning to eat healthier either. My hair and nails, on the other hand, have gotten way stronger and shinier.

>> No.5302272

>>5302239
well insulin controls your blood suger, so it's just as uncorrelated as the rest of this nonsense

>> No.5302320

>>5302235
>biologly it doesn't make much sence, since anything you eat will be broken down completly, so aslong as your food is tasty you should be fine
lol no

>> No.5302321

I do believe there is a correlation, albeit not as much as others may think. Diet of course affects your health but with acne, aside from hormonal acne, it doesn't have a major factor if you practice proper hygiene. Most acne sufferers could be put down as having poor hygiene.

Anyway, a good way to prevent acne, along with proper hygiene, is to drink plenty of water. Drinking plenty of water is way more beneficial than you think if you want to get rid off or not get acne. I had an extremely bad diet through my teenage years and early twenties along with the habit of touching my face like crazy, and I think that ne drinking water as much as I did helpes all lot in not getting acne. The only blemishes I have gotten on my face would be a pimple very rarely and shaving cuts every now and then.

>> No.5302352

>>5301942
you may have been washing your face too often it dries your skin and to counter that your sebacious glands produce even more oil and the cycle continues. If you ever tire of using water using a gentle cleaner like cetaphil with facial moisturizer is great especially if said moisturizer contains spf.

>>5302049
puberty can extend normally until 21ish but after that if you're still experiencing puberty you should probably see a doctor.

>>5301859
most of my acne's pretty hormonal I'm sure it's not too bad but it still ugly and gross the only thing that really helps is crushing up ibuprofen and leaving it on my face for 10 minutes, it makes the inflammation go down faster. I wish acne was only caused by diet though, I had this friend who lived off of the greasiest cafeteria pizza and cheetos for most of her diet and she had perfect skin the whole time. I secretly hated her.

>> No.5303510

There's a connection between high GI foods and acne. [citation needed] Look it up on google scholar, tons of science to back it up.

Basically, fried food, white bread and other unhealthy crap spikes your blood sugar and that eventually affects your skin.

>> No.5303567
File: 2 KB, 125x115, carrellbandana.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5301859
I'm 19 and I get acne EVERY TIME I eat chips. It doesn't matter if I eat even 3 or 4, I will ALWAYS get some sort of new zit or blemish the next day.

>mfw no more chips for me

>> No.5303574

Dairy is bad for a lot of peoples skin, so is egg. Meat can also have a bad effect. Wheat is a pretty common acne causing allergen, and it makes my eczema far drier.

My skin got incredibly better once I was a gluten free vegan, and eating high carb.

>> No.5303605

>>5303574
my skin (and life) got better when I switched from a standard american diet to fermented cod liver oil, grass fed beef, eggs from pastured hens, whole non homogenized milk from GF jersey cows and raw cheese. I lowered my intake of sugar in general and avoided white sugar completely. I also ate raw vegetables with cooked and some sort of fermented food everyday. Two months later my skin looks great, I am able to stay focused, and I have lost weight.

>> No.5303619

What if the food doesn't cause acne, but people who care about healthy food also generally care more about proper hygiene?

>> No.5303628

>>5303567
Stop touching your face with chip remnants on your hands.

>> No.5303631

>>5303574
>acne causing allergen

I don't think you know the definition of the term "allergen". Hint: it has nothing to do with acne.

>> No.5303633

>>5303619
"people who care about healthy food" includes free-bleeding feminists, hypothesis denied.

>> No.5303639

>>5303619
Likely. Correlation is not causation.

>> No.5303645

>>5303619
Hygiene also doesn't cause acne.

>> No.5303685

>>5303628
The thought of chip crumbs on someones hands clogging their pores is funny to me

>> No.5303690

I see the difference pretty quickly when my diet changes. I've been losing weight the past year and have based most of my diet on eating raw fruits and vegetables, and for weeks at a time avoiding anything processed/with added sugar. My skin during those weeks is so much better than when I have an off week and eat something that's been fried or sweet.

I don't think I particularly take amazing care of my face during the weeks I eat healthier. I'm lucky enough that I don't really get breakouts all over my face, only on the chin and upper forehead just under my hairline(rarely here). I also have a bit of a feeling that the environment, especially your room or the place you spend the most amount of time in during the day plays a role, especially if you don't go out during the day. I wash my bed sheets every week, when I don't I tend to get more breakouts, I guess it's the sweat over the night.

>> No.5303705
File: 83 KB, 350x462, 1395764444440.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw you eat like shit and never had acne

>> No.5303710

>>5301859
Theres a correlation but diet is not the sole cause. However, it may exacerbate underlying problems or already existing issues.

I myself eat plenty of junk food, and have zero acne. The worst I ever got was during my early teenage years (13/14) and even then it was never more than 1-2 pimples and didn't even warrant a face wash.

My brother ate a similar diet to what I did and his acne was horrible, all over his face, chest and back. No medication helped, although changing his diet, taking regular showers and aging to 18 helped him.