[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 108 KB, 550x311, sad-fat-guy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5336843 No.5336843 [Reply] [Original]

im on a diet.
I wake up tired and hungry and go to sleep tired and hungry.
is there a solution for this? i cant stomach coffe without sugar or milk and those 0 calories sweeteners make it taste like shit

>> No.5336860

>>5336843
use more spices and heat. eat more filling foods for your calories and do something to occupy your mind so youre not thinking about it. snack on shit like celery.

>> No.5336858

Eat stuff that's high in fiber or protein, keeps you full longer. I don't know anything about coffee but people here have said that higher quality coffee should taste good black. Another solution would be to use caffeinated tea and sweeten it with a little honey if you don't like it plain.

>> No.5336890

>>5336860
>snack on shit like celery

one does not simply snack on celery

>> No.5336902

There are 9 calories in a tablespoon of sugar.
There are 21 calories in two ounces (a quarter cup) of milk.
Just fucking use sugar and milk and portion control your meals.

>> No.5336904

>>5336890
A JAR OF PEANUT BUTTER SHOULD LAST MORE THAN ONE SNACKTIME YOU FAT FUCK

>> No.5336912

used to have this problem back on my cut.

You probably have a set number of calories as a goal throughout the day if you are counting them. Eat all of them. It is much more satiating than drinking calories. This includes milk, juice, soda, etc.

Instead, fill your calories with foods high in fat and most importantly protein. Carbs are fine but sugar is not - it will not curb the hunger. You've got to eat smart.

To ward off the hunger pangs, try chewing gum. drinking coffee or tea (the caffeine helps!). drinking lots and lots of water/tea.

If you REALLY can't take it, eat a meal with spinach/lettuce/leafy greens and a dressing. You can eat lots of salad with hardly any calories. If you use a low calorie dressing, you can eat a humongous, voluminous salad for roughly 50 calories, which isn't too bad.

>> No.5336915

Eat fruit at breakfast if you're feeling sluggish. The simple sugars will give you a boost pretty quickly, plus you'll probably get a good dose of fiber and vitamins and shit depending on what you're having.

Personally I find that a smoothie of fruit, greek yogurt, spinach or kale, and some kind of seed like flax or hemp is a perfect breakfast to wake me up and keep me going.

>> No.5336917

eat apples
>>5336843

>> No.5336919

>>5336902
...A tablespoon of sugar is closer to 50 calories.

>> No.5336920

>>5336915
fruit will make you sugar crash don't listen to the troll

>> No.5336922
File: 2 KB, 126x61, whatever.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5336920
>don't eat fruit fatty, fruit is bad for you

>> No.5336929

>>5336912
i only drink light soda.
i snack on cucumber but it never fills me, i got really mad once because i coulnt stop being hungry and i ate an entire cabbage with nothing, i cant snack on that shit its hard to swallow
i cant eat fat, too many callories, the most highfat thing im allowed to eat is 60 grams of fat free cheese.
My doctor is fixated on making me get used to fat and sugar free food as fast as possible so he doesnt care about calories, im not allowed to replace my cheese for a tablespoon of butter or something the like

>> No.5336930

>>5336917
i eat pears tho

>> No.5336938

>>5336920
fruit doesn't have enough sugar to make you crash idiot, and because it's contained in a fibrous package you digest it slowly and therefore the sugar is released slowly anyways

>> No.5336943

I'm betting you don't drink 8 glasses of water a day
That shit always wakes you up

>> No.5336944

>>5336930
exactly

>> No.5336963

>>5336943
> drink ample water during the day
> eat less
> have to wake up every night at like 3 to pee and can't sleep past 8 because of pee

Curses of genetically weak bladders

>> No.5337233

Get into green tea. I make a jug full and add some lemon, then chill it in the fridge. I never liked it but its my favorite drink. If you need to drink your coffee white try using almond milk, its really satisfying.
Unless your drinking like 8 cups a day im sure a little raw sugar is fine for you.

>> No.5337235

>>5337233
Also, try going dairy free for a while, i find it much easier eating healthy because I have a reason not to eat things with milk, cream, cheese etc.

>> No.5337238

It's the scientology of diets, but check out keto. Check out low carb/high fat diets.
They work, and they show immediate results.
I changed my metabolism and lost 1/2 a pound a day for two months eating meats and cheese.
Bacon. And Brie.

>> No.5337240

>>5336920
I'm actually with you, buddy.
It's a shit ton of carbs that you don't need.
Good call, but no one will listen. They draw off the food pyramid from the 50s.

>> No.5337248

Daily reminder that bulking ain't worth it.
>good tier upbringing
>male tier genetics
>no junk food, shit food, fast food, candy or soda
>footwear transport
>absolute freedom for the duration of life in which in matters
yay

>> No.5337261

Go for a run or something and then eat well so you don't spend your whole god damn life worrying about your food intake.

>> No.5337289

>>5336843
stop eating sugar.

>> No.5337290

>>5336843
Eat fruit. No matter how much fruit you eat, it will not make you gain weight. Bananas are good if you feel like your stomach lining is gonna fall apart. Apples and other acidic fruits are not as filling, but they're great for energy. Do not listen to idiots who tell you carbs are bad. We are made to eat carbs. They are good for us when they come in the form of fruit, vegetables and whole grains.

Also, I don't know if this works for other people since I'm already slim, but here is what I eat:
Wholegrain bread (with peanut butter), nuts, oats/grains, soy milk, fruit (fresh and dry), vegetables, legumes. I think what a lot of people who gain weight do is that they don't stop eating until they feel full. If you stop when you feel comfortable, the feeling of fullness is likely to follow. If not, have a fruit for dessert. Nuts are a good meal replacement/snack because they keep you full for a long time. Eat as much as you can grab with one hand (facing down) and not more. My current problem is gaining weight with a diet like this (trying to build muscle).

>> No.5337483

>>5336904
i'd never waste my peanut butter on celery

>> No.5337493

my weakness is bread, like i won't eat certain things unless i can have it with bread, but bread is basically dried sugar paste....

and some of you guys will go >just eat bread then

you don't understand, gotta have 2-3 slices with every meal. and dinner is rice or pasta.

I feel like technically i'm eating what you guys eat, but more of it.

and i can only eat a salad if there is meat in it. salad alone, i feel like you guys have a merit badge if you can just enjoy salad. I don't even like eating it with dressing, I prefer it dry.

>> No.5337497

You're probably cutting too hard with no exercise.
Eat less calorically dense foods, drink at least a gallon of water a day, fill up on salad, etc.

>> No.5337498

>>5336843
>im on a diet.I wake up tired and hungry and go to sleep tired and hungry.
Protip. Hunger at bedtime is clue you are now burning fat while on your diet. Yay! Relish the feeling. At breakfast, hunger is a clue your metabolism is high and your body wants calories.

For coffee, the only thing you can do is have milk rather than sugar. Coffee is bitter, so either relish the bitterness in an espresso or drinking it black (quality coffee of course), or drink it with nonfat milk, or a single Tbsp of cream. Try artificial caramel flavor, which is like sugar flavor. Or experiment with one of the 1-2 new fake sweeteners. If you can't find a happy medium, consider a different caffeine source. A pitcher of fresh brewed iced tea in summer, maybe with a mint bag thrown in to flavor the pot. I can tolerate hot tea without sugar in all cases. This hunger thing you have going on, may also be thirst. Watch your water intake to be sure. If you just started the diet, it may be a clue to metabolic syndrome, some blood sugar issue. Either it will pass in a couple of weeks, or you should get checked out.

Now, there isn't a rule where you should need to go sugar free, unless you do have diabetes. You avoid sugar for the most part because of empty calories. But, it's not forbidden. So, if sugar in your coffee is the worst thing you do all day, so be it. Cut back elsewhere, and eat some highly nutritious choices to make up for it.

>> No.5337513

I have the same problem, OP.

I am overweight but I eat well (fruits, veg, lean meats, as little bread/potatoes as possible). I don't even eat very much. I don't go to the gym or run but I do walk several miles each day. The doctors continue to be baffled as to why I am so overweight and ALWAYS TIRED.

Anyway they've investigated my thyroid and it apparently isn't that (I had to go for private tests in the end as they'd only check my TSH). I would recommend you get that looked into though.

They're now looking at my blood glucose as they think it might be an insulinoma. Very rare and probably unlikely.

So I too would like to know...how do I lose weight but more importantly: how do I stop feeling tired all the time?

I'll go hungry if I have to - you need to feel a BIT of hunger when dieting as you're trying to shrink the size of your stomach (or so is the common perception)

I have tried the gym and exercising at home (did a stint for three months of 30 mins crossfit a day) in addition to an even stricter calorie controlled diet and I felt A) in physical agony, B) even more tired than usual and most importantly C) I did not lose weight. My doctor tells me to 'persevere' and 'push through' the pain, saying it will get better and easier. But it doesn't.

I can't even be binge eating in the night because I don't buy junk food snacks.

To be honest I'd be happy to be hugely obese if it meant I didn't always feel exhausted.

The only thought on my mind from the moment I wake up to the moment I climb into bed is 'I need a good sleep tonight'. It never happens.

I'm sure this post has been unhelpful but it might be some consolation to know you are not alone in your tiredness and hunger!

>> No.5337533

>>5336929
Get a new doctor. Dietary exclusions can't really last forever.

>> No.5337555

Drink a large glass of water before falling asleep and after waking up, it will help both.

>> No.5337556

Snack on vegetables like celery and such.

>> No.5337601

>>5337513

I'd be curious about the composition of your "calorie controlled diet"

When I'm training hard, if I'm lazy about meal planning, it can become exhausting to the point of being nonfunctional.

>> No.5337629

>>5336920
This, fruit is basically candy in disguise with a few vitamines thrown in which are better collected from proper vegetables.

>> No.5337651

>>5337601
Sure. Breakfast is fruit smoothie (usually 1/4th tinned peach/apricot or mandarin drained of juice, skimmed milk, kale or spinach, sometimes peanut butter and/or oats if I'm feeling sicky as I hate the foaminess of the smoothie). I don't drink it all at once, I bottle it and take it to work and drink small amounts between 9-11am.

Lunch is chicken and salad or cold cooked broccoli, love the stuff, cannot get enough. But this always leaves me hungry, like, PAINFULLY hungry (wishing I'd eaten nothing at all). If I give in and eat bread I feel tired as in 'sleepy' tired, rather than 'fuck me I am running on fumes' tired.

If I crave savory things and water doesn't help I have one of those diet cup soup things (54kcal) or miso soup from a tub of paste.

For dinner I usually have something similar to lunch, but with rice. So lean meat/cooked greens/brown rice.

Snacks are usually nuts (almonds) and a serving of crunchy bran with skimmed milk. Sometimes if I feel a 'funny turn' coming on (which is dizziness, muscle weakness, loss of focus, slurred speech) I take a couple of dextrose tablets which usually prevents the worst of it.

The basic diet worked for my housemate but doesn't work for me. I guess I haven't out ON weight but I am about 15kg heavier than I should be according to my doc.

I also take a lot of supplements...spirulina, vitamin b and b12, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, green tea, probiotics, cinnamon (for blood sugar - it really helps) and that q-10 enzyme stuff for old folks.

Honestly will try anything in my desperation.

I'm not exercising for fitness, I'm exercising to try to lose weight and increase my energy levels.

Hope you might have some insight as to where I'm fucking this all up because my life is quite frankly miserable.

>> No.5337674

>>5336843

eat more proteins, how many calories are you eating? weight?

>> No.5337678

>>5336902
a tbs of sugar is 45 calories but I agree that he should just use a splash of milk and a little sugar because it'll still be a ~100 calorie drink

>> No.5337712

>>5337651

It sounds like you were doing some kind of juice cleanse bullshit. Try replacing the fruit smoothies with unsweetened yogurt (full fat).

All those simple sugars and carbs are going to get burned in like an hour flat. Any grains should be whole grains or pseudograins (like quinoa) with as little processing, grinding, rolling, etc as possible. And don't freak out about a little dairy or animal fat as long as it's not superheated or whatever.

>> No.5337717

>>5337493
Eat wholegrain bread. "Dried sugar paste", what? Seriously what are you eating? Bread is not cake. As for the salad, have some beans and avocado in there. Garlic, salt and pepper makes it more enjoyable.

>>5337513
Wholegrain bread (100% of the grain used, -only- wholegrain flour used) and potatoes are good for you. If you stay away from carbs you will get tired more easily. What slow carbs do is that they keep your blood sugar at a good level. Do not use sugary spreads on your bread. Other than that I'd recommend that you go early to bed. Exercise for 30 minutes 3 times per week. Don't overdo it or you will get tired. Losing weight will take a long time, but stick with it. The most important things for your fatigue is to drink enough water and sleep at least 8 hours per night.

>>5337651
I have a suggestion. Eat one bowl of oats with a milk of your choice and a fruit for breakfast. Don't snack before lunch. Have two slices of bread and a fruit/some vegetables for lunch. Don't snack before dinner. Have one moderate portion of dinner food. Do have an evening snack like a bowl of vegetables or a handful of nuts/dried fruits or a slice of bread before going to bed. Drink plenty of water and tea. This will keep you full, you will not feel like you don't have enough energy. It is also impossible to gain weight with this food. If you feel faint you should sit down and have a glass of water. If that doesn't help, you might need a glass of juice. Why are you taking so many supplements?

>> No.5337805

>>5337717
I will try the lunch/dinner/snack advice.
Although I can't stand cooked oats, they make me gag, I can't even just swallow them, that's why I put them in the smoothie. I came onto ck before and that's the kind of smoothie I was recommended for my energy/weight problem.

I take the supplements to try to make myself feel better. I have been to a lot of doctors all who recommend different supplements for my energy problem (the spirulina and green tea are weight management though)

I forgot to add the prescription grade vitamin d as well (I am deficient).

I'm not anemic either although my iron levels are low. I took the iron supplements for a month but noticed no difference other than terrible stomach pains.

Thanks for your advice.

>> No.5337913

>>5337805
Who said anything about cooking? I always eat my oats like cereal. I really get that you don't like cooked oats, they're slimy and disgusting. Have you tried other kinds of breakfast porridge, like wheat porridge or rice porridge? I like them because they're more chewy than oats, but they also take longer to prepare. Barley porridge is really sweet, I don't like it, but maybe you do/will?

Do you have trouble sleeping at all? If you're deficient in vitamin D, maybe your problem is that you don't get outside in the sunlight enough. Not getting enough sunlight doesn't only fuck with your vitamin d supply, it can also ruin your melatonin production, which ruins sleep, which ruins energy.

>> No.5337978

I didn't even know there were other types of porridge, I've avoided it all since the usual stuff is so awful. I never put much milk in cereal, I like it to stay crunchy. But I'll see what I can find.

My sleep is fine, I think, I just never feel like I've had enough. Doesn't matter when I go to bed but I usually can't function at all by 10pm and I don't get up til 8am (flexitime has come into it's own with this exhaustion problem).
I do all the sensible stuff like unplug the wireless, mobile phone, etc. Just have the alarm clock plugged in which is one of those sunlamp things to wake me up. I forgot yet another supplement - 5HTP which is supposed to help sleep/mood (I am not depressed - tried prozac for three years and it just made me even fatter)

I'm in the UK so 'sunlight' is a bit sparse but I walk for an hour every day and it's light when I both go to and leave work. I also go for a 30 min walk at lunchtime. There is literally no other time I can be outside as I am working the rest of it or at home cooking/sleeping. Pretty sure I get outside a lot more than my coworkers who drive to work and they don't seem to be suffering!

Strangely though I have been taking this high dose vitamin d, twice a month for 18 months now, and my vitamin d levels haven't really risen much at all.

Thank you anon, you have been very patient. I have been battling this for years. I will stop with the fruit smoothies though.

>> No.5337980

>>5336843

Don't diet.

We are only on this planet for a short amount of time. Why should anyone have to deprive themselves from the joys of food?

>> No.5338013

>>5337980
Because beyond a certain level of indulgence the costs will outweigh the benefits. Diabetic lard asses who can't walk and die at a heart attack in their fourties aren't making the most of life.

>> No.5338020

>>5337980
To feel good. It is wonderful to wake up in the morning full of energy and ready to take on the day. Another reason is to get hungry. If you stuff your face all the time you won't appreciate the food as much.

>>5337978
You're the patient one! I hope things work out for you. I also found this link while googling your problem:
http://www.wikihow.com/Best-Absorb-Vitamin-D-Supplements
It seems like you shouldn't take magnesium and some other supplements with vitamin D. Though I don't know if it matters much since you're not absorbing the vit D.

>> No.5338034
File: 268 KB, 1305x914, Upload_02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>2014
>not having a delicious kale, broccoli, spinach and grapefruit smoothie every night straight out the fucking blender

Try these OP, you fatass.

>> No.5338303

>>5337980
to get to experience the joys of sex

>> No.5338332

How does one diet without feeling so hungry all the time?

>> No.5338330

>>5338303
didn't you see the thread of the news where the man fucked a pastry?

>> No.5338334

eat foods with a low glycemic index, they make you feel full for longer.

and lots of brotein will give you energy.

you might need more sleep, but plain jasmine tea is pretty good stuff to get you more alert.

>> No.5338379

>>5338034
>not having kale chips and a delicious fruit smoothie instead

Smoothies with vegetables just sound so gross. I tried a cucumber smoothie once because I thought the taste wouldn't be too overpowering. Forgot to peel it. Ugh.

>>5338334
>protein
>gives energy
lol'd. No, my friend. Slow carbs are the best.

>> No.5338402

Rice and low sodium soy sauce is a pretty good snack

Them japs are usually skinny for a reason anon, unless fried pork cutlets get the best of them.

>> No.5338454

>>5338379
nah brotein will give you energy.

>> No.5338751

>>5336843
Pop some Bronkaid, add caffeine for moar better. Look up 'ez stack' it's supposed to suppress appetite.

>> No.5338774

>>5336843
sucralose is delicious OP, just don't think of it as sugar.

>> No.5338789

>>5338379
Sugar makes me puke and I lift. Cucumber actually sounds good if its mild.

>> No.5338791

Drink coffee with sugar and milk. There, done.