[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 15 KB, 432x243, thanksgiving-dinner.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5958622 No.5958622 [Reply] [Original]

Thanksgiving thread?
Thanksgiving thread.
I'm in charge of thanksgiving this year and I'm already stressing out. Everybody post your favorite rituals, tips and tricks or whatever.

>> No.5958624

>>5958622
Get drunk and punch dad in the face

>> No.5958627

got myself some meat glue this year gonna do something crazehhhh

>> No.5958631

>>5958627
I meat glued your mom's face it was crazehhh

>> No.5958639
File: 79 KB, 295x295, 1411870986684.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>working Thanksgiving again this year

>> No.5958642

>>5958624
this

>> No.5958651

I don't eat a proper thanksgiving and I am glad for it. Thanksgiving banquets are nice but I rather eat what I want to eat when I want to eat it.

>> No.5958653

>>5958624
>>5958631
Pls no bully

>> No.5958654

I might not do a turkey this year. I'm a cheap motherfucker and turkey prices are about double this year what they were last (35¢/lb v 77¢/lb).

For the same price per pound, I'd rather roast chicken. Still gonna do most of the typical carb-bomb sides, of course.
Stuffing.
Macaroni and cheese.
Mashed potatoes.

And some collards as well as green bean casserole cuz you need some green shit on the table.

>> No.5958664
File: 355 KB, 1205x905, spatchcock chicken6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5958654
Spatchcock the chicken(s) for maximum deliciousness.

>ooooh, Anon! I've never seen this before! Bravo!
bitches go cray for the spatchcock

>> No.5958668

>>5958664
>spatchcock
>I'm so funny isn't it a funny name?

Memepoultry at its worst

>> No.5958686

>>5958664
I spatchcock the turkey, using the neck, back and wing tips to make the stock for the gravy. I cook my 'stuffing' as a 'dressing' (IE in its own tray rather than stuffed into the bird). I place the spatchcocked turkey onto the rack directly with a tall drip tray underneath, catching its juices (so it won't cause a fire).
When the turkey is about done, I remove it and deglaze the drip tray with some chicken "stock" (stock cube and water... forgive me) then use this mixture to build my stuffing: mix it with cubes of stale bread, sautéed veg and some beaten eggs.
I put the stuffing/dressing/whatever back into the drip tray, the turkey back on the rack and everything back into the oven to crisp up the turkey and heat the dressing through so that the egg isn't runny.

With chicken, there wouldn't be enough there to make gravy from. :-(
I guess I can buy cheap, bone-in thighs. They're 10lbs frozen for $4.89 right now. Bring'em home, debone them and combine the thigh bones with the back, neck and wingtips from my roasting chicken for gravy-making, I guess.
I can always use the thigh meat for something else, anyway.
But I prolly won't. When I roast chicken, I usually leave it whole.

>> No.5958689

Relaaaaax, Thanksgivings are a breeze as long as you have plan, and do some of your prep and side dishes a day or two before showtime.

Some of my favorite tricks are:

Using a cheesecloth on a turkey. I baste with white wine and butter. (Got the idea from Martha Stewart)

Have your dressing prepped the night before in the pan. My favorite is an apple, sausage walnut stuffing. And keep it seperate, from being stuffed in the bird until you've mastered the T-Day, it's just more work. Though I do like stuffing muffins too, a Rachel Ray idea.

Don't do the canned cranberry roll, ugh! Do a nice simple cranberry relish with just berries, orange zest, sugar and white wine. Some thing you can make the day before, and quickly zap just before serving.

Do your salads, veggie trays, a day or two before.

>> No.5958694

>>5958689
Appreciate all these tips. Thanks.

>> No.5958730
File: 261 KB, 908x910, spatchcock chicken8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5958668
My date thought it was funny...

>> No.5958781

>>5958730
TFW nogf

>> No.5958810

>>5958622

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, just because it's an excuse to make a feast.

Planning is key, and if you've never done it before, you should start now.

Create your menu and write down all the recipes you want to use.

Make a timetable. It would be shitty to realize at the last minute that you have four things that need to go in the oven at the same time, at different temperatures. Utilize any appliances you have, from crock-pots to grills.

Get as much prep out of the way as you can. Make the pies and stuff the day before. Cranberry sauce can be made a couple weeks ahead of time and not suffer at all. Cut veggies in the morning before you get busy. Mise en place is your friend.

Set the table in advance. Have serving dishes marked with sticky notes if you need to, so you don't end up short.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. Have a master list with that timetable on the fridge, listing all the prep that needs to be done. If someone asks if they can help, direct them to it.

If you plan well, Thanksgiving will be a breeze and you can hang out in the kitchen, sipping mimosas and leisurely preparing a meal that will impress everyone.

>> No.5958813

>>5958810
>needing an excuse to make a feast
You disgust me.

>> No.5958830

>>5958813

I know, I'm terrible. If I could afford it, I'd make a comparable meal regularly.

>> No.5958833

Thanksgiving was a month ago :/

>> No.5958846

>>5958833

In Canadia, yeah. But 'Murica is still preparing.

>> No.5958853

>>5958810
>mimosa
You're the guy with the kick ass tips from the last thread. Please post again and I will forever be in debt to you.

>> No.5958858

>>5958830
Aw.
Let us pool resources and have grand feasts more frequently, then!

>> No.5958861

>>5958853

Which parts? I can re-post the turkey recipe if you give me a minute. Anything else?

>> No.5958865

>>5958858

Right? I know there are several co/ck/s in Vegas. I'm tempted to organize a potluck or something.

>> No.5958871

>>5958865
I'd worry it'd be nothing but pimped up ramen, gatorade chicken and sogwiches all round.

>> No.5958887

>>5958871

I'd show up with rice and beans.

>> No.5958905

>>5958887
I'll bake the bread.

>> No.5958952

>>5958853
>>5958853

Brine:

3 pounds kosher salt
1 Tbsp whole black peppercorns
2 gallons (256oz) chicken stock
1 bunch thyme, torn
1 bunch oregano, torn
1 bunch sage, torn
1 bunch marjoram, torn
1 gallon ice water
1 non-kosher, natural turkey

Bring everything but the ice water and turkey to a boil, letting the salt dissolve, then let cool completely.
Clean the turkey using cold water, removing the giblets and all that jazz.
Once cooled, combine the salt mixture with the ice water in a five-gallon bucket. Place the turkey, breast side down, in the brine. Cover it and let it sit for 6-10 hours (I do 10 for a thirty pound bird), being sure it stays cold the whole time. So either stick it in a cold garage, clear out space in the fridge, or replenish ice as needed.
Once time is up, remove the turkey from the brine and rinse thoroughly, inside and out, massaging the bird. Pat it dry and let it hang out, uncovered, while you chop up:

Stuffing (not for eating, as it probably won't reach safe temperatures):

1-2 yellow or white onions
1 stalk celery
1-2 large carrots
1-2 large shallots
1/2 bunch thyme
1/2 bunch sage
1/2 bunch rosemary

cont.

>> No.5958955

>>5958905
>>5958887
>>5958871
>>5958865
I got the cheesecake.

>> No.5958958

>>5958952

Now, make sure the bird is nice and dry, then stick it in its roasting pan. Rub it with a generous amount of oil, salt, and black pepper, inside and out. Really, get up in there, don't be scared. Then stuff it with the vegetable and herb mixture. Cover it and put it in the fridge overnight.

The morning of Thanksgiving, you're going to want to place the bird on the counter, uncovered, for a couple hours before cooking. It's not going to get to room temperature, due to its size, but it will help dry out any moisture that collected, which is what we want. Brined meat can get soggy and we obviously don't want that.
Anyway, heat the oven to 500 F. Take your turkey and give it a fresh coat of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place it, legs back, in the preheated oven. After 30-45 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 300 F and leave it alone. No, really, leave it the fuck alone. If the bird starts to brown too quickly, you can tent it with foil, but for the most part you want to avoid opening the oven. I cook my bird to about 150 in the breasts, which usually takes under three hours altogether (brined meat cooks faster), then the temperature rises another ten degrees or so while it rests.
Once the bird gets to your preferred temperature, let it rest, tented loosely with foil to avoid steaming the skin, for half an hour or so while you finish up the chaotic last minutes dishes.

>> No.5958960

>>5958905
>>5958955

You guys are stealing my show-stoppers :p

>> No.5958961

>>5958861
Anything and everything wouodbbe appreciated

>> No.5958963

>>5958955
We need a main course and several sides. Preferably vegetarian and vegan sides and a meat-centred main so that the faggots amongst us can put together their own meal from the side dishes available rather than eat the delicious, delicious main.

>> No.5958967

>>5958955

If I had the scratch, I'd be down for a meet up. Unfortunately, for me at least, that kind of thing would have to wait until after the holidays. Got Turkey day to budget for and then in December there's Christmas and my daughter's birthday. Gotta tighten that belt for a bit.

>> No.5958971

>>5958730
>one plate half eaten
>other plate not even touched
Your date is an anime body pillow isn't it?

>> No.5959007

So, my Thanksgiving Autism Notebook just got soaked in coffee. Not thrilled about that, but I was probably going to re-write it anyway.

Anyway, this year's menu is looking something like

Appetizers/breakfast to keep people the fuck out of my kitchen:
-Bread pudding
-Deviled eggs, both classic and bacon-parmesan
-Caramelized onion dip
-Bacon-wrapped smokies
-Booze, glorious booze

Main Event:
-Roast turkey (posted above)
-Sausage stuffing
-Enough Parmesan mashed potatoes and gravy to feed an army
-Twice-baked sweet potatoes with maple-shallot butter on the side
-Collard greens
-Simple sweet peas, because not everything has to be complicated
-Corn on the cob with a choice of honey-butter or roasted garlic aioli on the side
-Gin cranberry sauce and a can of jelly, for those who would bitch and moan
-Fresh and store-bought rolls
-Stuffed crescent rolls
-Booze, glorious booze

Dessert:
-Pumpkin pie
-Deep dish apple pie
-Sour cream apple pie
-Peanut butter fudge cheesecake
-Booze, glorious booze

Most of the prep will be done in the two days before Thanksgiving, so the day of will be a breeze.

>> No.5959450

Would it be OK to prebake my cheesecake cookies and pies then freeze until day before thanksgiving?

>> No.5959466

>>5959450
Cheesecake and cookies are two separate things. Cheesecake, cookies. Not cheesecake cookies.

>> No.5959471

>>5959466
Fuck you,
if Anon says s/he made cheesecake cookies, Anon made cheesecake cookies. Fucking fascist.

>> No.5959475
File: 79 KB, 736x552, 24b9174713ca30c9d0d07edb51575db2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5959466

>> No.5959481
File: 185 KB, 625x702, bucket.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Go ahead. I dare you.

>> No.5959487

>>5959481
is this real life..

>> No.5959488

>>5959475
>artificial flavors

>> No.5959490
File: 1.73 MB, 295x211, 1375240612531.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5959481

>> No.5959494

>>5959471
I was correcting my own post. I should have clarified. Pls no bully>>5959475

>> No.5959526

Some years I'll think "fuck it, I'm not going to do it" but then it occurs to me that it's not something your prepare every day, and at least it'll make an impression on the offspring.

Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potato pie (present them as pumpkin!)
Yeast rolls

It's not all that difficult, mostly a lot of chopping.

>> No.5959530
File: 1.55 MB, 990x661, bucket.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5959487
It could be.

>> No.5959704

>>5959466
Ck pls

>> No.5960044

>>5958622

Buy a kosher turkey - most supermarkets have them.

Kosher birds are grain fed with no antibiotics, allowed to roam free, and soaked in salt brine before being packaged, which can soften the meat, and add a lot of flavor to it. Remember: if it’s not labeled 'no antibiotics', or ‘no hormones’, it means both have been used on your bird.

>> No.5960050

>>5958651

If you like turkey, they are really CHEAP after thanksgiving!

>> No.5960061

>>5959450

Cheesecake freezes wonderfully. Once it's finished baking, let it cool completely, then put it in the fridge until it's chilled through. Then take it out of its pan and carefully wrap it in several layers of plastic wrap, followed by a couple layers of foil. You can finish it all off by tucking it into a Ziploc bag if you have any big enough. Most cheesecakes keep in the freezer for a couple months if properly wrapped.
Thaw it in the fridge when you're ready for it.
I tend to just make mine the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, along with cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie filling, and other light prep.

I have frozen pumpkin pie before using the same method as above, but I wouldn't recommend it. The texture changes just a bit. Never tried with fruit pies, but I think they'd get soggy. Hopefully someone else can enlighten us.

As for cookies, I'd make the dough and then wrap it all nice and snug before freezing it. Then I'd bake the cookies the day before. I've never frozen already-baked cookies before. I'm curious now.

>> No.5960073

>>5960044

Kosher turkeys are pretty much fool-proof, thanks to the added salt. If you want an easy, little prep bird, go kosher or self-basting.

If you want to brine and flavor it yourself, it's best to go non-kosher, all "natural", with no added saline or anything.

Either can be delicious, of course. It just depends on how much energy one wishes to expend.

>> No.5960392

>>5959475

These cookies are disappointing, just for the record.

>> No.5960423

>>5960061
I freeze cakes often. I eat cake for breakfast most days. Yes. Cake. For breakfast. No; I'm not fat.

For example, today's brekkie was pumpkin cake. None of those gross pumpkin spices, though. Just pumpkin purée, butter, sugar, eggs, flour, bicarb and vanilla extract.

I also freeze /soft/ crust bread. I don't think a bread with a crunchy crust would freeze well.

Using some basic reasoning, I could hazard a decent guess that soft biscuits/cookies would freeze well while hard ones would not.
Chewy ones, cake-y ones and fudge-y ones would likely take well to the freezer while crispy, crunchy and wafer-y ones wouldn't.

>> No.5960436

>>5960423
fat

>> No.5960437

>>5960423
>brekkie

kill yourself

>> No.5960452

>>5960437
>>5960436
Nope!
=^人^=

>> No.5960463

>>5960423

I don't see cake being any worse than pancakes or french toast. Most people just douse those in sugar syrup anyway. Personally I like a smear of peanut butter and a drizzle of maple syrup, which is probably just as bad as cake.

>inb4 muh fruits.
Yeah, strawberry pancakes are delicious, but still calorie bombs.

>> No.5961086

>>5960423
Breakfast is the best time for cake! People don't much thought into the idea, that if you are going to eat sweet cabs like that, you have all day to burn it off as opposed to eating dessert at night, as one of the last things one eat's before bed.

My family does cake for breakfast fairly often.

>> No.5961391

>>5959007
the bacon-parmesan deviled eggs, and the roasted garlic aioli recipes if you please? they sound interesting.

>> No.5961406

>>5961086
>>5960463
Exactly! And it's not like I'm eating some Amerisized portion, either.
Everything put together, the ingredients for the pumpkin cake weigh 750g raw and, I would guess, 700g cooked. I cut the cake into nine slices, so each slice is fewer than 80g.
All things considered, that's fewer than 250 calories per portion. I have my cake and eat it, too! With some coffee with milk. And there you have it.

Certainly under 500kcal for the morning which is hardly some gut-bustingly huge calorie bomb.

>> No.5961467

>>5961406
That's a quarter of your recommended daily allowance.

>> No.5961512

>>5961467
And people eat three to four meals daily, so... Oh! Look at that! It works out to be absolutely fine! Funny, that!

>> No.5961946

>>5961391

The eggs are simple, but a surprisingly big hit with most people. I'm not sure of exact measurements, as with most things it's best to go by taste, but I'd estimate:

12 boiled eggs
1/2 cup mayonnaise
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (or if you're like me and don't like it well-done enough to crumble, cooked in the oven and minced)
2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp finely chopped chives or green onions

You know what to do. Combine everything but the eggs whites and pipe/spoon it back in. I like to garnish it with a little strip of bacon and a sprinkle of chives. This makes wicked egg salad too, for the record, though I typically go heavier on the mustard. Can't stop eating it.

The aioli is a new recipe to me. I've made stuff like it, but never this exact one. But it utilizes ingredients I'll already have on hand, so convenience is a factor. Plus, you know, I'm not fat enough already.

3 heads roasted garlic (or I'd imagine half a head if you're using elephant)
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup lemon juice (2-3 fresh squeezed, I believe)
2 Tbsp Parmesan
1/2 Tbsp Dijon
1/8 tsp cayenne
Dash of Worcestershire
a bit of chopped parsley for garnish, if desired.

Throw that shit in a food processor until combined. Cover and refrigerate overnight to let meld. I'm not super experienced with aioli, so if anyone has any pointers to make this better, I wouldn't complain. I was thinking of making my own mayonnaise for it, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

>> No.5961995

>>5958622
>Rub down turkey 48 hours ahead of time with highly seasoned compound butter, under and over the skin
>Going to rotisserie turkey this year to free up oven space, which will also keep people out of my way, because they'll all hang around the rotisserie for the ooohs and aaahs
>green bean casserole from scratch, always
>cranberry sauce from scratch, always
>yeast rolls from scratch, always
>making mom's recipe for cornbread dressing, which I haven't made in a few years, and is wonderful, so I'm looking forward to that
>mashed potatoes for the white potato people, and baked sweet potatoes with caramelized onions and parmesan for the sweet potato people
>two kinds of gravy - standard turkey gravy and cider cream gravy
>some kind of green salad, haven't decided which kind yet, usually I do baby greens with candied walnuts, blackberries, and feta with orange-champagne vinaigrette, but I may do something else, like a 7 layer salad instead
>instead of whole pies this year, I'm making puff pastry turnovers filled with pumpkin cheesecake filling, pecan pie filling, and mincemeat filling. That way, I can get all the fillings ready at once, and make them assembly line style, which will free up some time, and will be easy to eat and people can take some with them if they want
>making pumpkin bread, apple bread, and scotch eggs for T-day breakfast with orange juice and mimosas for the adults, and hot tea or coffee (irish optional)

>> No.5962012

>>5958958

I totally forgot something.
Preparing the bird this way will yield loads of drippings due to all the moisture the bird soaked up (it will also add a few pounds to the bird's pre-cook weight).

While I promise you that the bird itself comes out nicely seasoned, the drippings may verge on too salty. I still use them to make gravy, as they are damn good. I just balance the saltiness with a little honey to taste. It doesn't come out sweet, of course, and if you use good honey it adds just a little something.

But yeah, figured I'd put that out there for anyone new to this stuff. Taste that shit. Taste and season, not the other way around.

>> No.5962017

>>5961995
>>mashed potatoes for the white potato people

Dat's racist, yo.

>> No.5962022

I press down on the breast to crack all the bones before cooking.

I use an empanada style stuffing with ground beef, walnuts, raisins, and hard boiled eggs.

I cook the turkey upside down for most of the time to let juices sink into the breast, then flip upside down close to the end to brown the skin.(always get compliments on how moist is my turkey)

When carving, I notch the meat, then separate, and always slice across the grain for maximum tender.

>> No.5962051

>>5958654

Double this year?

I just bought six turkeys at 68 cents a pound. If 77 cents a pound is too rich for your blood, what third-world ghetto do you live in?

>> No.5962057

>>5959007

>sour cream apple pie

Recipe plz?

>> No.5962090

>>5961995
>cider cream gravy
Please elaborate. Very interested.

>>5962012
If the drippings were too salty, couldn't you add some unsalted (obviously) stock to level it out a bit?

>> No.5962095

>>5962057

1 recipe for a single 9" pie crust
3/4 cup white sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream, full fat for the love of Thor
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
Approximately 2 cups peeled and diced apples (I like Granny Smith)

Preheat the oven to 425 F.
combine the sugar, flour, and salt. Mix in the sour cream, vanilla, and egg until well combined. Add the apples and toss to coat.
Scrape the apple mixture into the unbaked crust. Cover the edged of the crust with foil to keep from browning too quickly.
Put it in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
After that 15 minutes is up, reduce the oven temperature to 350 F. for another 30 minutes. Don't open the oven or anything. Your pie's fine, I promise, so save that heat.

Now, while the pie is in the oven, gather up

1/3 cup brown or white sugar (your preference, really)
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon (fresh is best)
Dash of nutmeg (really, fresh is best and not expensive; do it)
1/4 cup chilled butter, diced

Make sure the butter is really cold. Cut it up and then stick it in the freezer or something. Combine all the dry ingredients and then cut the cold butter in until coarse crumbs form. Pastry cutters are great, but forks work fine.
After the pie finishes up those 30 long minutes, remove it from the oven. Take the foil off the crust and sprinkle the top of the pie with your streusel topping.
Immediately place the pie back in the oven for 15 minutes.

Once it's done, cool completely and then chill for at least four hours. Serve cool-cold.

>> No.5962103

Whenever anyone in my family has anything to do with cooking turkey, it comes out dry as fuck. But since I don't want to cook anything, I don't say a word.

Maybe one year I'll deep fry that fucking bird and show them all what's up.

>> No.5962108

>>5962090

>If the drippings were too salty, couldn't you add some unsalted (obviously) stock to level it out a bit?

Yup. I usually make an obscene amount of gravy, so even with all the drippings, I usually come up short. Boxed chicken stock (preferably low-sodium), or even better, homemade stock cuts the salt considerably.

I've done it both ways, with added stock and without. There's always a way to get it right.

>> No.5962162

>>5962095
Can you elaborate more on the pie crust. It sounds like I add all the ingredients at the same time. Or, was that just the recipe for the filling? Thanks.

>> No.5962193

>>5962051
It's not too rich it's just that I prefer chicken at a cent more per pound. I buy turkey only cuz it's cheap. I don't like it as much as other poultry.

>> No.5962213

>>5962162

I didn't include a pie crust recipe. What is written is for the filling and topping. Sorry if
>1 recipe for a single 9" pie crust
was confusing. I was just specifying that it didn't require an upper crust. If you have a go-to recipe of your own, use it. If you don't want to bother, the pre-formed, uncooked pie crusts from the grocery store's freezer section work just fine.

If you do want to make your own, but don't know what recipe to use, my advice is lard>butter>shortening.

Shortening is easiest, but tends not to make the most tender/flavorful crust (not that its bad or anything). If you decide on shortening, go with butter flavored.

Butter crusts are very nice, but it can be a challenge to get them just right. Trick is to keep the butter/dough cold and be careful not to overwork it. In my experience, tiny, but visible specks of butter throughout the pre-rolled dough is a good goal.

Lard makes the best crusts, tender and flaky and overall scrumptious. But some people are afraid of lard, so when people start complimenting that crust, keep the secret.

I understand some people use cream cheese too, though I've never tried it.

And I've rambled. Sorry. i have an easy butter crust recipe if you need it, but it's probably nothing better than what Google could lead you to.

>> No.5962227

>>5962213
>>5962162
Thanks, Mate.

captcha: themselves friennd

>> No.5962243

>>5962227

My pleasure. It's nice having an outlet for muh Turkey Day Autisms. Keeps me from talking people's ears off irl.

>> No.5963165

Any recommendations for keto friendly meals for Thanksgiving?

>> No.5963653

>>5961946
awesome thank you

>> No.5963823

>>5958622
Alright, monkeyfucker, sit down, and open a word document to take this down.

Turkey: Slow roast in oven at 300 F, in oven bag with 3 shots of jack daniels, 1/2 cup of sugar, and a tablespoon of red pepper powder, and a teaspoon of ginger.
Ham: same process as turkey, except the following: 4 shots jack daniels into oven bag, with a cup of water, half glass of orange juice, tablespoon of lemon pepper, and a teaspoon of cumin.
Mashed potatoes: Season with garlic, ginger, and black pepper, NO SALT.
Vegetables: take that bullshit and shove it up your ass, faggot.
Vinison: Roasted in a crock pot with 4 cups of water, 2 teaspoons of chili powder, a teaspoon of sugar, brushed occasionally with bbq sauce. ad 1 cup of rice, and allow transformation into meat flavored cus-cus.
Pork Ribs: Boneless, motherfucker. BONELESS. Add 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon wochestershire sauce, and a teaspoon of cumin. No bbq sauce needed here.

Don't cook anything else but desert. That part i'll leave to you, but your tastebuds will thank me.

>> No.5963834

Stopped reading after 3 shots of jack.

>> No.5963841

>>5963834
the alcohol gets cooked away. the flavoring remains ever so slightly.
that's why.

>> No.5963848

Our traditional thanksgiving menu.

My family:
>Retard huge turkey
>Ham
>Mashed potatoes
>stuffing in the bird
>stuffing out of the bird
>cranberry sauce
>pumpkin pie
>cheesecake
>bread pudding
>apple cider
Grandparents:
>cornbread
>green bean casserole
>Ambrosia
Aunt:
>sweet potato casserole
>something seafood
Uncle/aunt:
>what ever weird appetizers my uncle and aunt bring
>brewed ginger beer
>some other odd stuff

Generally this is how the break down works plus random stuff each year. Between the 9 of us there is far too much food but that's how it's supposed to be I suppose.

>> No.5963857

>>5963848
this year, skip the stuffing, cranberry sauce, and bread pudding.
Instead make: Pulped and boiled split pea and cabbage soup with rabbit, pork, beef, venison, and chicken. Served with Toast seasoned with Mozzarella Cheese and Cumin.

>> No.5963864

>>5963857
>venison and rabbit
Yeah, where the fuck am I suppose to buy speciality meats? Honestly thanksgiving isn't about pulling out all the stops and trying to look big it's about traditional food. I want something more traditional.

Also:
>all those meats
>one stew
Really? I honestly don't know about this.

>> No.5963872

>>5963864
Hunting, you pansy ass. Or a butcher you trust.
They aren't specialty meats where i live, so yeah.
That stew is my compromise on vegetables.

>> No.5963876

>>5963872
>Hunting, you pansy ass.
Where the fuck do you live? I'm from the big city, I don't own a hunting rifle or any of that shit. As for a butcher I have one I trust but I know for a fact he doesn't sell rabbit. I could probably go to chinatown for it, but who knows what quality it is.

>> No.5963878

>>5963876
well, Alabama. Butchers even in our largest cities sell rabbit, mutton, etc.

>> No.5963880

>>5963878
Yeah, I live in the Bay Area.

>> No.5963881

>>5963876
you could exclude the rabbit if you can't find it, but at least replace it with mutton, or goat.

>> No.5963883

>>5959526
you get the right attachment on your food processor and you wont need to even worry about that tbh

>> No.5963890

>>5963880
also, try my gumbo:
Crawfish, half corn cobs, red potatoes, beef, venison, shrimp, rice, bacon (cooked to preference before addition).
Season with ground red peppers, actual dried peppers, not the powder, garlic powder, Jaegermeister, 1/4 cup of flour towards the end ( when it has about an hour of cooking left), and a cup of sugar.

>> No.5964485

>>5963823

Are you trolling or are you really as abrasive as your posts suggest? Calm down, buddy.

>>5963848

>brewed ginger beer

Is that homemade? Because I'm jealous if it is. Despite all my Thanksgiving retardation, I never really do much about the drinks, aside from my all day boozy OJ binge, but others rarely partake.
I'll have to think on that for a bit.

>> No.5964542

>>5958730
Holy shit we have those cups too