[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 2.50 MB, 570x2563, nTjJNVj.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6011755 No.6011755 [Reply] [Original]

Did you eat at the family dinner table with your parents and brothers/sisters growing up?

>If yes, how many times a week?
>If no, where did you eat your meals?
>Your religion

I was bounced around various family member's homes growing up because all of my family live in the same town and It was a good way for me to stay in touch but also for my mother to not cook, I sat in front of a television every time and on the rare occasion I ate at home it was just me + my mother so it was oven pizza at my computer. Atheist.

>> No.6011769

yes because I was forced to, almost every night (until I learned how to cook so I wouldn't have to eat their horrible garbage) we ate the same thing: microwaved peas with no seasoning and overcooked pasta with jarred tomato sauce.

athiest

>> No.6011825

Every day except weekends when I was out with friends. Isn't that the norm?

My family is nominally catholic, but I don't think my parents take it very seriously.

>> No.6011831

>>6011755
Ate breakfast and dinner with them on weekdays. Sometimes on Saturdays and Sundays if I was home.

Agnostic

>> No.6011837 [DELETED] 

>>6011831
Flyover dinner consists of

>A) getting some beans
>B) getting some toast

Truly, memefood.

>> No.6011843

>>6011837

britian isn't in the united states

>> No.6011847

>>6011755
>pretty much every night when i was young but by the time that my sisters and i were in our teens probably only a couple nights a week
>i would eat meals at the table by myself or while reading in my room
>my family was agnostic, my mom would pick me up from my friends' houses early on sunday if i spent saturday night over so that i didn't go to church with them

>> No.6011852 [DELETED] 
File: 758 KB, 640x811, Bakunin.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6011837
>mfw "flyover" now refers to north london, u.k.

>> No.6011855

i dont eat with my family because my grandmother happens to live with us and she will never shut off the TV which is in the dining room (shes filipino and always has it on the Filipino channel) and its my biggest pet peeve.

>> No.6011861

>>6011855
btw i just eat in my room in front of my computer

>> No.6011865

At the table, only sundays. If everyone was home on another day we might all go sit in the den and watch tv while we eat.
Otherwise mom and dad just ate together while I would go in my room and play playstation and my sister would go in her room and do 90s girl things

Roman Catholic but my mom was really the only one of us to go to church regularly. My sister and I might go along some days but you couldn't drag my dad to church if you tried, he hated it there.

>> No.6011888

Yes. My dad taught me how to cook and he was really into it as well. Nobody ate until the entire family was sitting and nobody got up until everybody was done. It was really nice.

>> No.6011901 [DELETED] 

>>6011888
Your memefood-time sounds really nice. I bet your family is almost as lovely as those here in Flyover, the biggest lil island in the Atlantic.

>> No.6011914

Every dinner every day of the week, unless I was eating at a friend's or something.
None of us are religious, but I guess we're culturally Lutheran.

>> No.6011932

Yes
Almost everyday
>tfw starving waiting for mom/dad to come home and eat together
Except if that certain person already said to go ahead and eat without him/her
Catholic, Asian
Eating in front of TV/ in your room is forbidden as well

>> No.6011950

>elementary school
weekday dinners usually consisted of my mom, my older sister, and i. sometimes grandma. mom would always yell at me because i wanted to read calvin and hobbes while i ate instead of listening to boring conversation.
>middle school
usually my sister and i with our lithuanian housekeeper. mom went out most nights.
>8th grade-high school
older sister was out with her friends and her boyfriend, mom went out every night looking for a new boytoy. housekeeper would sometimes cook but usually i'd just microwave some hot pockets and play world of warcraft alone in the living room

>> No.6011955

>>6011755
Yeah, family ate together at the dinner table pretty well every night when we were younger. Parents both cook really well and honestly I'm grateful that we did it.

Family is atheist.

>> No.6011975

>>6011950
forgot to mention
>where did you eat?
we had a 4-seater table in a corner connected to the kitchen that had a window view. we never ate in our proper dining room unless it was for some sort of holiday party and we had guests over. it was really just a show dining room.
until 7th-8th grade when i started playing warcraft, i'd just bring my microwavables to the family room (we had a fancy living room that only guests were allowed in and then there was a "family room" which was the living room that people who weren't guests were restricted to)
>what was your religion?
raised irish catholic until i was expelled from sunday school (which was held on tuesdays at 5 pm for some reason) well i don't know if i was expelled or excommunicated but i was asked not to return so i never got confirmed

>> No.6011976

>>6011755
Ate dinner at the table with my mum every night, dad worked late, always home cooked meals since my mum's a good cook. Could only eat in front of the TV on special occasionso. Didn't have any friends so I was never over anybody else's house. Brother went to boarding school so we all had dinner together at the weekend. We had Sunday roast every week until I was a teenager, when my father left and I started making my own food after school. Still have Sunday roast over with my mum and stepdad most weeks. My dad's family were Ulster Scots but both my parents were agnostic /not religious.

>> No.6011984

>>6011755
My family sat down at the table to a home cooked dinner almost every night. In summer we'd eat at a picnic table in the backyard, and on holidays we'd eat at the dining room table. But most of the time we ate at the kitchen table. Regardless grace was said before every meal.

A few times a year we'd go out to eat, and rarely we'd get Chinese or pizza. That was fine, because mom was a pretty good cook.

Raised Catholic. Now Atheist.

Did raise my own kids with family dinners around the table at least five nights a week. Once they got older they started bringing friends to dinner pretty regularly. By the time they were in high school I was pretty used to cooking for groups of 6-10.

>> No.6012042

>Did you eat at the family dinner table with your parents and brothers/sisters growing up?
Yes.

>>If yes, how many times a week?
Every meal, except special occasions like birthdays or anniversaries.

>>Your religion
Athiest. My parents were nominally "christian" but we never went to church or prayed or anything like that.

>> No.6012049

>>6011755
>Did you eat at the family dinner table with your parents and brothers/sisters growing up?
Yes, every dinner, every night, unless I was out at a friend's or something.
no religion

>> No.6012738 [DELETED] 

bump

>> No.6012745

Every day of the week, unless I was spending the night at a friend's house.

Not religious.

>> No.6012758

Yes.

Nine during the school year (seven dinners and two weekend lunches), fourteen during summer and during holiday breaks (seven dinners, seven lunches).

Quaker.

>> No.6012905

>>6011755
every day, and I still do it. If we don't eat together is because we can't because of work or we're out with friends.
My mother is catholic but she never attends services. Me and my sister were baptised as protestants but we're both agnostic

>> No.6012920

About 5 times a week, the exceptions being nights when my dad worked late or I went out with friends. Even on nights that my dad was working, my mother, brother, sister and I still usually ate together.

We're very loosely Methodist-ish, with no long-term dedication to going to church and mentions of Jesus now mostly limited to Easter/Christmas and my grandmother.

>> No.6012923

>>6011861
you forgot something...

>atheist

>> No.6012926

Yes, every day.
n/a
Agnostic

My parents insisted on family dinner so everyone could catch up with their day. My brother and I kept the pattern. Used to freak my old BF for a while, how we could spend the day in the same house not talking to each other ; then synchronise to get dinner done, the table set and then start chatting.

>> No.6012933

Yes, every day until I was thirteen, when we moved to a house with adjoining kitchen and living room, and it was just easier to eat in front of the TV. It was always all four of us for that though; none of that weird taking your food to your room shit.
Catholic, but it didn't have anything to do with our eating habits.

>> No.6012943

>>6011755
>How many times a week did you eat at the dinner table with your family?

For the first 10 years, probably 4-5 days out of the week

After that my parents divorced when I was 11; after that we rarely ate at the table with my mom, but often at at the table with my dad when he got to see us.

When I didn't eat at the table we at on the couch while watching TV.

>Your religion?

Agnostic-Atheist

>> No.6012961

Yes, every day that we were at home.
Atheist, but raised Christian.

>> No.6012972

>>6012943
>After that my parents divorced when I was 11
It was all your fault. They said it wasn't, but they were just sparing your feelings. Your father never wanted you.

>> No.6012981

>>6012972
I was actually an accident and figured that out when I was like 7. Also my parents split because my dad cheated on my mom. Nice try attempting to make me feel bad about it 14 years later though.

>> No.6013050

>>6012981
> Also my parents split because my dad cheated on my mom.
It would have been easier for her to forgive him if you just weren't in the picture, though. Tough break, kiddo.

>> No.6013055
File: 14 KB, 236x315, 8aaa77b06830c1454aa2353e4ed3cdf8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6011755
Yes. Every dinner, if everyone is present (dad and mom sometimes came home late from work/business trip/meeting, so I'd only eat with my siblings and grandma).

We still do this today whenever everyone is present. Sometimes with cousins when they visit on Sundays. I help take care of my younger siblings now (mom had two more kids when I was 20) and grandma, so I cook our meals most of the time.

Raised as a born-again christian; not really religious now, but I don't think I can call myself atheist; i still think a higher being is out there.

>> No.6013062

>>6011755
We ate at the dinner table 5 times a week, saving one for eating out and maybe one where we wanted. We didnt watch TV much because my parents hated it and stimulated reading. I think I was allowed to do what I want, but it was pleasant to eat together. Funny parents make childhood bearable.

Atheists, all of us.

>> No.6013068

>>6011755
Yes, 6-7 times a week.
No religion at all in the family.

>> No.6013071

>>6011843
>>6011852
Banned again. Thanks mods.

Yes.
7 days a week for dinner.
Christian (southern baptist).

>> No.6013073

>>6012972
>this projecting

>> No.6013311

>>6011755
Yes
Everyday of the week is nothing unusual was happening
Atheist family

>> No.6013454

>>6011755

Yes with my parents and yes again when me and my brother were living with either grandparents. Even if we didn't eat any other food or talk to them all day, it was a rule that we sat and ate at the table every weekday. Weekends were a little more casual, we ate dinner at different times or we sat in the living room and ate. Food wasn't allowed at computers or in bedrooms.

Parents are a mix, father's family is very atheist, grandparents really don't seem to care about or believe in any form of spirituality or religion at all. My father believes in spirituality and religion, but only as a social construct, he absolutely believes in aliens though.

Mother's family is very very christian, with my grandparents here weekends weren't formal and it was also required to sit and gather for breakfasts, but not lunch. Mother isn't actually a christian, I'm pretty sure she's agnostic, but then she's been chronically ill almost her whole life and I imagine it's hard to keep faith for so long with no reprieve.

>> No.6014318

>>6011755

Hrmm, it feels like a long old time ago, so I can barely remember. Most of the time, I think, especially on weekends, and more when we were younger. Otherwise it likely would have been eaten in front of the television. We have a terrible habit of reading at the table though, I blame my father. We're a thoroughly agnostic family, in that because we're not American religion isn't something that anyone gives a shit about, we'd regard it as a quaint cultural tradition you might appreciate for its aesthetic and anthropological qualities rather than something to be believed in.

>> No.6014330

Yes cause we weren't some white trash who ate on paper plates on the couch
>every day unless my grandparents went out then I'd kick it in front of their big ass tv
>satanist

>> No.6014344

My family ate on our bar counter and the living room tv was in front of that, so it was always on.

Tippy tip tip

>> No.6014396

>yes, 11 (weekdays: dinner, weekends: breakfast/lunch/dinner)
>weekdays:breakfast/lunch eaten at work/school
>half christian, half agnostic

>> No.6014636

>>6011755
Yes, pretty much every day of the week
Atheist. Chinese aren't really religious

>> No.6014666

When my parents weren't divorced yes.
When I lived with my grand parents it was required. My grandma use to kick me out of the kitchen (where the table was) if I farted and I would have cold food by the time I went back.
When I lived with my father everyday we ate together
When I lived with my mom we ate together until I was old enough to cook on my own so around 12.
Since I only cook for myself now I just eat at my desk.

>> No.6014679

Ate together at a dining room table 5 nights a week, no tv or radio. Just awkward conversation and fighting with my sister.

Raised catholic, current agnostic. Unless its christmas or easter when I go to church and pretend im catholic because it makes my mom happy and I love her.

>> No.6016256

>>6011755
Yes
>4-5 nights a week
>atheist

>> No.6016305

nope
only when my mom wanted to look good for guests
my family was never close

agnostic

>> No.6016444

>>6011755
>changed as I got older, but no more than twice a week usually
>living room
>raised catholic, but my family is not religious. I am now an atheist.

>> No.6016528

Growing up, yes. Most days of the week, excluding whenever someone had to work late/had sports/etc.
Non-religious.

As everyone in the family got older it got harder to eat meals together, especially once me and my siblings started working. Then parents got divorced, so there was that. If everyone is home (if I'm in town/if my brother visits) and an actual dinner is being made, we'll usually eat together.

>> No.6016543

My mother raises me and my brother and sister on her own, at dinner time she used to set the table and lay out all the food.
We would go fill up our plates with what food we wanted and then go sit in front of the TV and eat, mother would sit at the table alone and eat. Feels bad now that I think about it.

>> No.6016601
File: 2.00 MB, 371x331, 1414794618960.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

kek at the second last picture on ops post.
the pussi on the left is like im dead fuk

>> No.6016755

>>6011755
pic…! XD

>> No.6016775

I only eat at the table with my family if my dad is present. Mostly he's away for business trip. My brother and I eat in the living room nowadays.

Islam

>> No.6018548

>>6011755
Yes, up until I was around 11-12. That's when my parents both started working multiple jobs to save up for a house and we couldn't sit down together consistently anymore. As time progressed, my siblings and I started eating in front of our computers and the TV. When I was young, my parents practiced Chinese folk religion, but only out of tradition (chinese folk religion is ancestor worship, like in Mulan). They don't anymore. In actuality and practice, my entire family was/is pretty much atheist.

>> No.6018562

most of the time, if i had to guess it was probably 5-6 nights a week (excluding days when i went to friend's houses)
our household was lutheran and very relaxed about it, now i'm agnostic

if it makes any difference, i think it's good for families to do this

>> No.6018999

>>6011855
Aarom is that you?

>> No.6019022

Yes

>7 days a week
>Brought up Christian

>> No.6019046

>>6011769
No I'm the athiest.

>> No.6019055

Dinner was usually at the table, but dessert was usually in front of the 7PM news. Weekends were less strict than weekdays.

Agnostic mildly conservative father/Anglican hippy mother.

>> No.6019064

>>6019055
>Anglican hippy

Huh

>> No.6019075

Yes

>3-5 days a week.
>Christian-Agnostic.

>> No.6019076

>>6019064
In Australia, Anglicans are among the hippiest protestants.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/01/16/1073878029380.html?from=storyrhs

>> No.6019114

Everyday
Atheist

>> No.6020926

Breakfast (though never hungry here), a snack after school, and dinner at 20:00-21:00. So basically all meals except school lunch.

Atheist

>> No.6020937

>>6011755
Yes, almost every night when I was little. By my teens, my dad was too busy with work, so it kinda stopped. Whether we ate as a family or not we always ate at the kitchen table. Family is non-practicing christian, I'm atheist.

>> No.6020971

Yes.

>7
>Gott ist tot.

>> No.6020991

No.
Dad was a commercial fisherman so he was never home.
Mom raised me, two brothers, and two cousins.
We all ate in the living room and watched tv except my mom.
Raised Roman Catholic, went to church every Sunday until highschool. Catholic private schooling from pre-k through senior year of highschool.

>> No.6020993

>>6020991
Agnostic btw

>> No.6021137

>yes, all seven days
>atheist

>> No.6021145

>>6011755
Yes, most meals unless I was out of the house but I still had to be there for most meals. 6-7 times a week.

I'm not religious but the older generations of my family are baptist though my parents aren't very religious. My grandparents were though.

>> No.6021159
File: 171 KB, 965x1126, Blaise_Pascal_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6011755
>yes, every meal except weekend dinners
>mildly protestant family, now a filthy gnostic

>> No.6021165

Yes, everyday.
Religion really didn't have any impact on my family but technically Catholic, even thought we never went to church, ever.
My mom thought it was important and she was right.

>> No.6021186

Anytime everyone was home we always ate at the table. Usually 7 days a week. Breakfast was almost always at the table, no exceptions. Lunch was almost never at the table. Dinner was usually at the table but sometimes we all ate in the living room (especially as we got older).

We were Catholic. Me and all my brothers had to be altar boys for a short time. Only really my Dad cared about us being "religious" because it meant a lot to our grandparents to see us in church. It was really only after I was 18 and moved out I found out he really didn't care too much if we believed or anything, just that we showed up to make Grandpa happy. We didn't pray before meals or anything either. Only on special occasions and Grandpa's house when he would pray.

I miss it. I liked having actual conversations at the table even if it did lead to a lot of arguing. When I have kids I'll definitely force them to eat at the table when they are young and encourage them to as they get older.

Thinking back on it I think it actually did a lot for me.

>> No.6021194

>>6021186
I'll also say we were raised on a farm so we would have to wait for Dad to get back in from the field until we could eat. Mom or Dad would always make us wait until both parents were there unless they were going to be really late. This often involved one of us kids getting on a motorbike or something and driving out the field to get him. Even when we were all working in the field Grandma or Mom would bring us out a meal and we'd all sit on the tailgates and eat. So even then we would eat as a family.

Jesus christ it sounds like I grew up in 1940. It was only early 90's.

>> No.6021207

>>6011755
yes, at least 5 times but mostly 7
My mom is a great cook and that is why I enjoy to cook. She didnt like a smoky flavour or warm spices so I have finally experimented with those flavours more these past few years

I suppose I am atheist but I really just dont care

>> No.6021218

Usually ate one meal together growing up every day. More often than not it was supper (evening meal)

My family is a bit christian, my mom and sister especially, but I don't think that had anything to do with it. No one ever said grace in my house except when our godwad grandparents were over.

>> No.6021224

Not really. My parents live in different town, i grew up living with my grandma. My only brother also live in another different town with uncle.

>> No.6021228

>>6021224
ha

>> No.6021243

I remember eating at the table a lot when I was a little kid, but once I was 10 or so and my parents divorced I usually ate alone. Mom had two jobs and would get home around midnight.
Atheist, father is Agnostic, mother is Catholic.

>> No.6021710

>>6011755

Yes, between two and four times a week. My mother's parents were upper-class british, so eating at the table was something sort of "force of habit", but occasionally we'd eat separately or watch a movie over dinner.

Atheist.

>> No.6021729

Yeah, pretty much every single day

the idea of eating at home anywhere other than the dinner table feels weird to me, especially in front of the TV

Catholic

>> No.6021767

Yes, every night. Breakfast was eaten at the kitchen table because we all had different morning routines. If one us couldn't make it, dinner still went ahead without them.

>>Your religion
Nominally Episcopalian, but non-practicing to the point of being non-religious.

>> No.6021779

When I was younger yeah we ate together every night that we were there, in the kitchen with no TV but the radio was on.

Apathist , was raised with no religion in the home but always told that if I choose one then they would support that decision.

>> No.6021820

Every single day dinner at the kitchen table, parents and brother. Once I got to be older, sometimes my brother and I in front of the tv in the living room and parents in the kitchen. Maybe around 15 or so. This included home made meals as well as pizza ordered. Open the box, set it on the table, we all eat together still back then. Breakfast was in front of TV and normally pobs. (break bread up, put it in saucepan with milk and brown sugar and raisins, heat until thick and gooey)

>> No.6022170

Ate with parents and sister everyday until I was old enough to work. I made it a point to work jobs that started before 4:30 just to make sure I wouldn't have to eat with with them.

Mom was a cunt. Dad was always at his most poised of after work. Hard job, long commute, had hypoglycemia, so we would eat as soon as he came in the door and was at his most crankiest. Mom of course would wine sort her stupid shit, asked that was the opportune time to eat me asked my sister out for whatever we did that day. Dad would dole out the scheduled ass beatings and long term bedroom confinements while in the pissiest of moods. We didn't have computers or consoles in our rooms and no air conditioning either so that was no fun. Worst about it was mom would describe to the whole family the details of whatever you did wrong which sometimes would involve things she heard while listening to our phone calls, searching our rooms, or "accidentally" finding your jerk off paraphernalia while she just happened to be cleaning between your mattresses.

The food was pretty awful. Hillbilly crap asked we had to finish it. No laughing, no joking, no "how wasYOUR day", just mom and dad taking turns repeating all the foul snappy comebacks they wish they had the balls to say to whoever slighted them that day.

Then it was off to feed the dog, pick up the dog shit, mow 3 acres of uneven scrub land with two push mowers, stack or carry in firewood, crawl around all the furniture and polish it with pledge 3 or 4 times a week, then off to do homework or get scheduled ass whoopin.

Moved out when I was 17, lived with granny and had a wonderful dinner every night for next 3 years.

>> No.6022179

>>6022170
And yes I have the shittiest spell checker of all time.

>> No.6022201

>>6011975
>raised irish catholic until i was expelled from sunday school (which was held on tuesdays at 5 pm for some reason) well i don't know if i was expelled or excommunicated but i was asked not to return so i never got confirmed
I'm pretty sure the Pope has to get involved for you to be excommunicated, it's pretty serious, you were just expelled. Anyways

>how many times a week
Maybe once a month, always a Sunday or a special occasion.
>Where did you eat your meals?
At the table in the living room with my sister. We ate together and then my parents ate a little later.
>Religion
Raised Catholic (not strict, slightly less devout than your average Irish family, I would say), now agnostic bordering on atheist.

>> No.6022273

>>6022170
Forgot the religion thing. We were babtist. Mom did it out of fear. Dad snickered about it and never stepped foot in a church until my sisters wedding. Weird though, he could answer any question you threw at him regarding new or old testament. Never understood it.

I was petrified of church. I hated Christmas because I was terrified some creepy old fag in a red suit with his face covered was watching me all year and it all came down to naughty or nice... I never considered myself nice. And wtf do you do when you wake up Christmas morning only to have Santa rat you out to your family by not leaving you presents? He saw me every time I beat off, heard every cuss word, and knew I stole my sister's clothes. I was afraid of god for the same reason, but at least you could try to pray your way out of it. With Santa you ignored his creepy ass all year and your only recourse was to ask him to bring you shit at the end of the year.

My church was shit. Company town (GM), deacons were all work buddies, their kids made my experience awful. Eventually I started going to a church of my own choosing, got hooked up with a children's translation of the new testament which I could actually understand, and the Sunday school consisted of me, two cousins, asked a brother and sister that were very nice. I suddenly had friends, bi weekly picnics, asked that chic was stunning, couldn't keep my mind off her for several years.

The picnics were great too. Always outdoors even in shitty weather, different place every time, good conversation, and they free me my first Indian, Italian, Japanese, and chinese dishes, and some very good chili, reubens (grilled on site) and my first properly non-burnt pork chop.

>> No.6022285

We ate every dinner together. 7 days a week. We'd wait for my dad to get home from work. Raised Catholic. Has less to do with the religion and everything to do with being a strong family unit that has no divorce in the near or extended family. Strong values. Two parents that were highly educated and devoted to their kids/family. I'm very lucky to have been raised by such an awesome pair of people.

>> No.6022545

>>6022285
>Raised Catholic. Has less to do with the religion and everything to do with being a strong family unit that has no divorce in the near or extended family. Strong values. Two parents that were highly educated and devoted to their kids/family. I'm very lucky to have been raised by such an awesome pair of people.
Same here.The only harm it did me was getting out into the world and kind of just assuming everybody was like that. Young me was pretty shocked the first time I went to dinner at a friend's house and it was fast food in front of the TV, while the parents sat down later together in the dining room to have a proper meal.

>> No.6024781

Wow, it actually depresses me seeing you all respond positively to all this.

We rarely ate dinner together as a family. Divorced parents, but barely ever dined with my Dad while I lived with him. He was always working non stop.

Fuck work addiction

>> No.6025056

>>6024781
I've actually never really seen the big deal about eating together as a family regularly, to be honest. My family has always done it pretty rarely and it's never bothered me one bit. We all get along fairly well, though, so I guess that's why I don't see eating together as the be all and end all.