[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 100 KB, 625x469, tortillachips.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6339460 No.6339460 [Reply] [Original]

i thought i would make my own corn tortilla chips, which apparently means buying corn tortillas and cutting them up. i can't buy corn tortillas where i live, and i also can't buy "masa harina" which is supposedly necessary to make corn tortillas. can't i do something to corn flour to make it usable? wheat-flour tortillas just use plain wheat flour, after all. i don't mind if the taste isn't exactly the same.

>> No.6339462

just buy some doritos cool ranch

>> No.6339464

>>6339460
You can make your own

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/make-masa-nixtamalized-corn-zmaz04amzsel.aspx

Or you can just order masa from Amazon.

>> No.6339471

>>6339460
> not getting fresh made chips from a little place in Grand Central Station, NYC called USA Chips.
Giuliani ended that when he raised the rents for little places like that, he put them right out of business.

>> No.6339478

>>6339460
>>6339464
Masa harina's not easy to find and I've searched. The best bet for that is online.

>> No.6339488

masa harina is hard to find...? curious where you guys live, i can almost fall over a bag of it where i am if i just walk outside.

>no i am not in mexico.

op sure you can. won't be the same as corn obviously but you can make it work; if you can make a flour tortilla with what you have, you can make chips of it of course.

i have no effing clue what nixtamalized corn is but it seems interesting too...gonna have to read that further.

>> No.6339489
File: 14 KB, 262x337, 1307922622001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

masa is literal translation of dough. and also must be fucking corn flour dough...

what the fuck

>> No.6339491

>>6339488
Upstate New York, I can get it in NYC but even there it's pretty iffy, the last batch I bought there had worms in it so chucked it.

>> No.6339497

>>6339489
It's not dough, it's corn flour treated with lime.

>> No.6339501

>>6339464
>>6339478
after some searching i found that someone said you can maybe buy the flour at this one grocery store chain (that i've never been to before), so i hope they still sell it... they also said they add "xantan gum" to it to help make the tortillas easier.

>>6339471
There's a lot of food you miss out on when you don't live in the US... then again I've got reindeer meat and pear-cactus chocolate.

>> No.6339510

>>6339488
OP here, I live in Sweden. Marshmallows and cupcakes (and possibly American-style doughnuts?) first came to my town less than five years ago. "Pulled pork" came like last year. So stuff like this flour being hard to find is just to be expected...

>> No.6339545

>>6339460
its just totopos (in mexico at least). you just cut up a tortilla into triangles and fry them. Used to make em with guacamole all the time as a kid for a snack.

>> No.6339554

>>6339491
>worms
the fuck? did you buy it off a vendor or something? Just get some Maseca at a latin food grocery and bippity-boppity-boom, done.

>> No.6339558

>>6339510
sweden had no marshmellows???? my world is upside down now.

the joys of living in other parts of the world..hah.

>> No.6339696

>>6339545
Thanks, once I get over this flu I'll go to town and see if I can find that special flour.

>>6339558
Yeah, they tasted extremely different from American marshmallows too. Though really recently (like since last year) they started importing so-called authentic American ones which taste closer, but they still don't taste the same (and are three times or more the price of what they are in America, like everything else imported from there). I imagine it's due to these European food import laws that ban some of the poison stuff that America likes to put in its food. They usually have to order in some kind of really off-brand version that's made exclusively for export to Europe so it can pass.

>> No.6339724

>>6339696
huh? i just used store bought tortillas and this was in Mexico and nobody cared. I mean I've had tortillas made by an old woman on an ancient looking tortilla press from scratch served with a salsa just made from bird's eye (not sure what they are called in Mexico) chilis crushed up in a molcajete (mortar and pestle) and it was great but sometimes you are just hungry and masa harina is mostly (to me) for tamales and thickening up certain dishes. Try making tamales with masa and canela (real cinnamon!) and raisins and lard, its the best thing I had in Mexico besides Enchiladas Mineras, which I would die to find in the states and they aren't even THAT hard to make its just tortillas fried in red chili sauce with cotija and potatoes and carrots and maybe some meat in them.

>> No.6339896

>>6339724
wow...there are a lot of tamale types but your post is the first i have seen to mention something like that, cool; reminds me of my late aunt's tamales. she did a few types not typical i think... fave was one with olives and wrapped in banana leaf, very mushy and full of awesome. i do not know how to make that one but i plan to figure it out. all i can do now is the basic tamale...takes all day, from scratch, but i go all the way; even tying them off with a strand of corn husk.

>> No.6339909

>>6339460
corn flour or even just corn starch

>> No.6339913

>>6339896
Its tamal not tamale

>> No.6339918

>>6339913
claro que si, maricon, en sincero, los sientos.

get bent.

>> No.6342129

>>6339554
It was a store in Chelsea on about 22nd street and 8th ave, Kitchen Market or something like that. I went there because they had Dave's Insanity Sauce and some other stuff and noticed the masa harina so got it to add to chili. There were damn worms or weavals or some shit in the bag. I never went back to that place.

Masa harina's really good in chili, make a slurry with it and add it to the chili at the end of the cooking process. Use a slurry because if you add the masa directly it'll clump up from the hot temperature of the chili.