[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2022-05-12: Maintenance has concluded successfully. 2022-05-12: Ghost posting is now globally disabled.
2022: Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/ck/ - Food & Cooking


View post   
View page     

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 279 KB, 479x1280, 0004048_murrays_angry_man_pale_ale_330ml_bottles__10780.1425432435.1280.1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7586850 No.7586850 [Reply] [Original]

The last one died and nobody cared edition

What you drinking?
What are you looking to drink?
Recommendations?
Reviews?

>> No.7586856
File: 221 KB, 290x1132, 14248701095AMRedAle.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7586856

>>7586850
pic related had a real sweet honey flavour which i enjoyed shame i could only get a 4 pack i think i need to drink more to get a proper understanding of the beer

i'm currently drinking pic related and they are awful just bitter crap wont be going near then again for a beer

>> No.7586884

>>7586856
meant to say >>7586850 had a real sweet honey flavour which i enjoyed shame i could only get a 4 pack i think i need to drink more to get a proper understanding of the beer

>> No.7587316
File: 551 KB, 292x438, 292x438db7f552900295b1abfb66c1d6ab2d803.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7587316

I keep coming back to this one. It might be a hopped up hipster IPA but it's tasty as fuck. Sharp and refreshing.

>> No.7587318
File: 256 KB, 1200x1553, xtracitrabeauty.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7587318

Been drinking this stuff a lot. It's nothing mind blowing, but it's really easy drinking with that great citra flavor followed by a strong malt back bone. Doesn't overwhelm your tastebuds and is 5.99 at Costco. If their Hell was that cheap I'd probably take that over this stuff though.

>> No.7587352

Anyone know a good chipotle stout I can try? I'm trying to decide what I want to brew next and this sounds good but I'd like to try one first.

I'm in Lexington Kentucky.

>> No.7587631
File: 3.32 MB, 2368x4208, IMAG0039.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7587631

I had this this other night.
Really wanted to like it cuz of its name but was worried cuz I've had other beer from same brewery haven't liked them so far.
But this was good.

>> No.7587676

>>7587631
I had one and didn't like it, I was disappointed because I like most of the other stuff they make.

>> No.7587686

>>7587631
This is pretty much the one good beer they make

>> No.7587687

>>7587676
Well I say a few, I've only tried the chocolate whatever it was. Did not like

>> No.7587832
File: 183 KB, 895x1024, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7587832

Picked a 4 pack up for 5 bucks.

>> No.7588119
File: 38 KB, 800x800, Aecht-Schlenkerla-Fastenbier-Flasche.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7588119

Awaiting eagerly Schneider Weisse hopped weizens. They are so disgusting but I cannot stop drinking them.

3rd last special Schlenkerla down the drain, got one of pic related and one Eichenbock remaining, really ought to stock up from their webshop as they become available.

Other than that, a Polish smoked porter and a quad is chilled for tonight.

>> No.7588185

>>7587832
Out of date?

>> No.7588227

I can't do the IPA thing anymore, or the APA, or Pale Ales in general.

I'm trying to get away from the whole astringent hop flavor profile.

Any suggestions?

>> No.7588237

>>7588227
Browns, traditional pils, saisons, Helles lagers are pretty balanced and light on hops, hefeweizens

>> No.7588332

>>7588185
Yeah, but it's 9% so it ages well

>> No.7588484

>>7588227
Porters and Stouts. Be a man.

>> No.7588491

>>7588227
Agreed, fuck the IPA meme.

Blondes, lagers and saisons are where it's at.

>> No.7588514

>>7588491
Thus far they those styles have been to more very mundane. Though from the definitions, they are somewhat restrictive, I would take a tripel or quad over blonde any day.

Out of these 3, saisons have the most explosive capability to innovate and impress, though I can find no fault with a traditional one, biere de miel was great for example.

>> No.7588683

>>7588119
Rauchbier is some good stuff. I should brew some for next winter.

>> No.7588751

I don't like IPAs because they are too bitter.

Am I a bitch?

>> No.7588764

>>7588751
No, you don't like IPAs because they're too bitter.

>> No.7588772

i'm a big fan of ISA's, but cant fucking stand ipa
its like, just over some arbitrary limit of hoppiness and bitterness.
otherwise i drink porters, stouts, and various ales
lagers are pleb

>> No.7588777

Newcastle ale

>> No.7588787

I didn't go to work today and started drinking a bottle of prusecco or however you spell it an hour ago

>> No.7588811

>>7588491
>fuck the IPA meme.
IPAs are fuckin delicious. Don't hate just cause you can't appreciate. Saisons are good from what I've tried (very few) and I've yet to find a lager I really like. There are some decent reds I've had, but not something I would spend money on. Now malt liquor on the other hand, that's lager I fuck with.

>> No.7588815
File: 76 KB, 160x250, 97.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7588815

Not the best but I like it

>> No.7588981
File: 164 KB, 586x391, hinterland-winterland.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7588981

>>7588332
Yeah doubles are great fresh, but have a decent shelf life. You got a good deal.
Awhile ago I got three four packs of pic related for 3 dollars a pack just because the store manager wanted them gone. I was pretty happy.

>> No.7589465

>>7588332
Had a 3 year old 90 minute that was gooder than hell.

>> No.7589631

>>7588491
>I don't like it so it's a meme
Let me guess, 'they are just pretending to like it to be cool'?

>> No.7591235
File: 412 KB, 1728x972, BellsTwoHearted.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7591235

Bought an assortment of Bells beers yesterday and decided to have a few tonight. Started off with the most hyped one.
LIke it alot as well, very balanced and nice ipa!

>> No.7591258

>>7591235
Love the 12 pack cans they have of two hearted now

>> No.7591279

>>7591258
I am sort of happy actually that i cant get those here. Drinking 4,6 abv 12 packs of piss lager for quantity now and if this beer was available like 12 packs it would ruin me being 7 abv. I would drink it all the time!

>> No.7591297

>>7586850
went down to LA last weekend for a work meeting and stopped by smog city and monkish in torrance while I was there. was pleasantly surprised by both, and picked up bottles at both locations.

from smog, I got a bottle of amarilla gorilla (amarillo IPA) and their blonde sour, can't remember the name.

at monkish I grabbed a bottle of vellichor after trying it in the tap room. looking forward to sharing these with friends.

>> No.7591300

>>7587352
stone smoked porter with chipotles is pretty tasty. I'd assume you can get that out in kentucky, maybe not year round though.

>> No.7591312

Been getting into Belgian beer lately, really enjoyed Gulden Draak, anyone got suggestions for other Belgians to try?

>> No.7591328
File: 407 KB, 1728x972, BellsJavaStout.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7591328

Lots of coffee on this one, maybe even more than it should be i guess. Good thing i my coffee beers, could see this one being overbearing to some!

>> No.7591347
File: 57 KB, 250x934, beer_199710.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7591347

>>7587352

>> No.7591480

>>7588227

stout, brown, porters, bocks.

To be fair though, not all pale ales showcase hops. Many English bitters are pretty malt-centered.

Some more hop-forward ales like altbiers feature hops strongly, but balance it with a good malt body and aroma.

I see what you're getting at though. For every good American ale there exist ten poorly designed recipes which register nothing but hops on the palette.

>> No.7591484

>>7591312

Moinette is a great blonde. Chimay is always a good one. Not a fan of sours like lambic though.

>> No.7591534
File: 351 KB, 1280x1280, duchesse-de-bourgogne.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7591534

>>7591484
Thanks, I'll give those a shot. To be honest I kinda like sours, or at least the one that I tried. pic related

>> No.7591540
File: 359 KB, 1728x972, BellsMidPale.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7591540

Fine enough Pale ale.

>> No.7591624

>>7588811
>>7589631
I'd tell you to cop some taste, but I doubt you have the ability to after drinking so many IPAs

>> No.7591693

>>7591534
A lot of people shit on this beer, but I thought it was great.

>> No.7591708

>>7591693
I haven't had any other sour, but I'm guessing it's much more fruity than others, it barely tasted like a beer to me if at all. Still really good tho

>> No.7591722

>>7591708
It's more fruity and vinegar tasting. I actually prefer gose style desu

>> No.7591743
File: 436 KB, 1728x972, BellsLager.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7591743

Very standard slightly above average lager. Works great with some beer sausage.

>> No.7591754
File: 56 KB, 640x640, 25e6b49e75c17831abe242b606e6acbd_640x640.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7591754

Drinking this ATM. Very eclectic, in the best possible way. Starts with smokey notes, then develops through a malty sweetness, a hoppy bitterness, a crisp acidity, into a nice, slightly hot chilli pepper punch.

And yes, you're supposed to pronounce it as cocaine.

>> No.7591766

Sixpack of Wieckse Witte chilled for the night, they offered a free glass with the sixpack, and I didn't have a decent glass for white beers yet. Also have a Lindemans Lambic, and a Põhjala Rukkirääk waiting for me.

>> No.7591774

>>7588772

>lagers are pleb

only a pleb would say this. There's more to lager than yellow pisswater m8.

>> No.7591820
File: 419 KB, 972x1728, Amager1000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7591820

Had to have something else than just Bells tonight so i cracked this bottle of Amager batch 1000. Well i was planning to have this anyways as it was bottled this month so it is fresh as fuck.

Amager really knows how to mix and match hops well, few beers taste as much and yet different in an good way than theirs. Love this one as well, the freshness of it makes it so aromatic!

>> No.7591874
File: 630 KB, 800x800, 1589439_orig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7591874

Got a few bottles of this the other day, quite velvety in the mouth with a coffee/dark chocolate flavour. Picked up some 660ml bottles of Innis and Gunn for £1.50 which is a bargain.

>> No.7591993

>>7591874
Really liked the Old engine oil! Not ever liked any of Innis and Gunns stuff though. Clear bottles that stood in the store for months!

>> No.7592030

>>7591874
I doubt we will ever see that in the US.

how sad, that does look tasty.

>> No.7592051

>>7591993
Clear bottles were fine when it was just for Scotlands domestic market, not so in warmer sunnier places. They've all been in brown glass for the last 5/6 years at least anyway, seasonal stuff is usually in a presentation box.

>> No.7592121

Are any of the beers at Trader Joe's any good?

>> No.7592133

>>7592051
Huh, might make sense as i have not even looked at them in 6 years now.

>> No.7592263

>>7591484
Couldn't find Moinette in my area, but I just tried the Chimay Grand Reserve. Shit was like liquid gold, cheers m8.

>> No.7593131

>>7592030
I can buy this at the liquor store around the corner from me in Florida. It's good.

>> No.7593161
File: 171 KB, 1067x1600, 2015_05_BMBC-2273.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7593161

picked this up mostly because it had a cool label and I liked saisons. but it's quite delicious and has a good sourness to it.

>> No.7593167

Not currently drinking but I have a colt 45 (8% beer) and two 6% Busch Ice's in the fridge that I might drink tomorrow

>> No.7593239

>>7591874
Is there any chance we could trade? I have some good local beers from a brewery called Slowboat. If you like milk stouts, they have one called "Dairy of a Madman'" I could send you.

>> No.7593452
File: 117 KB, 420x543, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7593452

>tfw going to pic related 3rd anniversary party
Cloud 9 desu

>> No.7593484

>>7593161
This is damn delicious. The peppery aftertaste is bomb.

Try their fat tug IPA as well. I hate IPAs but I give their's a pass. It has a really fragrant citrus taste that goes nicely with the hops.

>> No.7593542
File: 80 KB, 766x960, 1458514669343.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7593542

>used to be champion drinker
>could face fifths in an hour and do a das boot in under 20 seconds
>had to get a year sober
>now i can't even chug half a busch tall boy without feeling gassy and pukey

i've been practicing getting back to being great at chugging with 32 ounce olde english but i'm still too noob to get through even a third of it without burping and taking a breather.

t. Jay Dimsa

>> No.7593558

>>7593542
congrats anon you got old.

>> No.7593572
File: 17 KB, 500x386, 1450496191716.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7593572

>>7593558
i'm 21

>> No.7593581
File: 911 KB, 1387x1409, black-lager-1-of-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7593581

Pretty good. Much better than their regular lager.

>> No.7593588

>>7586850
Recently tried the Ginger Ale variant of Henry's Hard Soda and was pleasantly surprised at how smooth it was. Point Brewery makes a lot of good beers and ( I think it is ) their Bock that has a surprisingly chocolate-like taste that pairs well with a good bit of bar food. If you want something cheap with high alc. content try Steel Reserve or if you feel like spending a bit more for a better product try the Big Eddy series of beers. If you ever travel through Wisconsin be sure to try the New Glarus products; I like them all and they are very popular but they got shafted by a bad contract, making it so selling outside of Wisconsin would cause them to lose money. If you want to try something generic I'd recommend Budweiser for a full beer or Miller Lite for a light beer.

>> No.7593857

For all you coloradofags out there, you best say no on the supermarket full strength beer law

>> No.7594039

>>7592121
Simpler times pils? I think that's it. Decent beer for the price

>> No.7594078

>>7591874
had this recently, really enjoyed it, but it was just a bit too sweet.

>> No.7594088

>>7586850
As someone who never enjoyed the beers they sell here (Finland), I've only found myself drinking beer after a long day or when I go take a sauna yet I never like the taste for some reason. I also drink it because its cheap and gets you drunk quick. The only beer I've found myself enjoying are Mexican ones like Sol. I hear things about craft beer so can someone redpill me on good beers?
I know it's just a question of getting used to like black coffee.
>inb4 underage
20

>> No.7594099

>>7594088
ummm mexican beers tend to be sweeter and with less hoppy flavours

we all start off on the easy stuff and then we being to aquire a taste

you will probably move on to wheat beers and pale ales

and then finally develop a taste for India Pale Ales and American Pale Ales

finland isn't really know for their beers though despite it having a high proportion of alcoholism

i suggest trying wheat beers and pale ales then maybe something a bit more hoppy

gradually you will get a taste for it

or you won't i know some people that strictly drink spirits and don't enjoy beer

some people just never get into beer

>> No.7594103

>>7594088
If you're in Finland, you should be able to get Põhjala pretty easy, which has a wide variety of flavours. Rukkirääk is pretty easy to get used to, so is Virmalised. Öö is a bit stronger, but still nice.

>> No.7594118

>>7591754
Yeah except you pronounce a C as 'S' when it's before an E in french.

This would be pronounced 'soak-cane'

Fucking idiots.

>> No.7594121

>>7586850
>Murray's Pale Ale
Don't post here ever again

>> No.7594140

>>7594121
debate me

>> No.7594159

>>7594118
Thank God we live in america then

>> No.7594169

>>7594159
It's a Dutch beer, but your point stands.

>> No.7594196

>>7594140
Was good (mostly, outside of the variable batch quality), is now a dumb-downed version of what it should be.

Ditto whale ale, but that was always a simple batch and thus suffers less from variability/affordability/etc.

>> No.7594364
File: 63 KB, 250x978, beer_75466.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7594364

>>7591820
Amager is something I have been wanting to try but the cost has prohibited me so far.

Care to give a few favourites, any style? The seven sins series is a bit ale heavy but might want to buy a set to sample the lot on one go with a friend or two preferably.

>>7591347
Kickass wax seal, though they are usually more effort than fun at the end. How much does a bottle of that cost in the states, I am a sucker for smoked beer in general.


On another note got my beers yesterday, so Augustiner Maximator, Weltenburger Kloster Asam bock and some Schneider Weisse is back on the menu, going for this abomination next.

>> No.7594454
File: 1.57 MB, 3920x2204, DSC_0017.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7594454

Enjoying the spring sun with a nice, fresh white beer now. Life could be worse.

>> No.7595345
File: 272 KB, 300x862, Waldos12oz.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7595345

Managed to get a 6 of this yesterday. It's solid but I prefer their other beers like Maximus, really strong too at 11.5%. If your local store is carrying their limited run of mondo red ale, it's a must have. Their best beer I have ever had

>> No.7595481
File: 15 KB, 350x350, 5011348018119.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7595481

Asda really has up it's game in variety recently
pic not necessarily related, just the only one that happened to be left in my fridge

>> No.7595499
File: 245 KB, 1024x848, lagunitas.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7595499

>>7595345

>lagunitas

>> No.7595520

>>7595499
They make good beer at a decent price. Who cares

>> No.7595587

>>7595499
Fucking kekd and saved

>> No.7595593

>>7595520

>Who cares

This is a beer thread, right? Lagunitas is actually my favorite brewery, but nobody can deny that they have immersed themselves in weed culture to the point of self-parody.

Who cares? Could anybody really justify "caring" about the fucking label on a beer? No. However, if there just happened to be a place on earth where talking about a beer's label would be appropriate and topical discussion, would this thread not be it?

You know what? I care about the beer's label, because for me the brewery's aesthetic and visual appeal influence my opinion on the beer itself. So much more goes into forming my opinion on a beer or a brewery than just the taste and price.

You filthy fucking casual.

>> No.7595845
File: 736 KB, 2200x1837, messingfedora3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7595845

>>7595593

>I care about the beer's label, because for me the brewery's aesthetic and visual appeal influence my opinion on the beer itself. So much more goes into forming my opinion on a beer or a brewery than just the taste and price.

i fucking hate this stale meme but am compelled beyond all self-restraaint to use it here

>> No.7596026
File: 274 KB, 640x640, 1391541771942.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7596026

>>7595845

Nice retort. I especially liked the part where you drew tangible comparisons between my love for craft beer and my preference for hats.

>> No.7596154
File: 2.09 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7596154

First time having anything from bells and it's pretty okay. The 6 pack was 5 bucks so I'm happy

>> No.7596206

what is the best fucking beer I can get at wegmans that is not a fucking pale ale or IPA

tired of spending a half hour looking through 100 different fucking IPAs

>> No.7596217

>>7595520
>They make good beer at a decent price. Who cares
This.

If it's a good beer, it's a good beer. I couldn't give a fuck about the brewery's image or whatever.

If it's decent quality I'll try it. If I like it, I'll get it again. I don't care if the brewery associates with stoners or whatever.

The aesthetics of the logo and labeling are pretty much the last thing I'd worry about.

>> No.7596220

>>7596206
it depends on what state you live in

>> No.7596224

>>7588777
so fucking underrated and it is everywhere.

love this shit so much

>> No.7596231

>>7596220\
NY tell me now please time is running out there is only hard liquor and wine here atm and I need to drive to get the beer

>> No.7596237

>>7596231
sorry, no idea whats available there

>> No.7596354

>>7591235
Bells is overpriced as fuck even in the US outside of Michigan. I can't imagine how much they charge you for it over in Sweden or wherever you are.

>> No.7596367

>>7596354
Bells high tier stuff like Hopslam and expedition stout are super expensive, but their regular tier stuff is pretty normally priced

>> No.7596373

>>7596367
Eh, Hopslam and Expedition Stout aren't even that good... I have never had anything from Bells that was "high tier". I think they are overrated and charge WAY too much for their beer. I have never bought any of their beer more than once and nowadays I don't buy their beer at all.

>> No.7596419

>>7596373
by high tier, I mean amongst their releases. Stuff they objectively consider to be their limited release higher tier releases, not trying to say it is great.

Those releases are invariably overpriced and usually not worth it, but you can find stuff like Oberon dirt cheap, and Two Hearted is always a good buy

>> No.7596457

>>7596419
Fair enough, I agree. I can't say you are wrong. I am just not a fan of theirs.

Also, about Two Hearted, or any "classic" IPA. I never buy those either, because their are too many better, newer IPAs being released. I am not big on the old school C hop IPAs like Two Hearted or DFH 90 Minute, or super piney west coast IPAs. I like the newer, fruitier, less bitter IPAs with hops like citra, mosaic, Azacca, Nelson Sauvin, and wild or experimental hops in my IPAs.

>> No.7596466

>>7596457
I totally like newer IPAs better too, but amongst older ones Two Hearted is probably the best, at least the best widely available one

>> No.7596548

>>7596373
agree, I paid 20 for a six pack of hopslam this year and it was literally just okay. Never buying again

>>7596154
oberon is also really overrated, not sure why it is so hyped, any sierra nevada is better

>> No.7596555

So /co/ I just found out that I actually really enjoy dark beers like porters and I was a huge wimp for not trying more of them earlier.

Suggest me some good ones to stock my fridge with,

>> No.7596557

>>7596457
What are some new england style IPAs that are widely distributed? I can only get west coast since I live there

>> No.7596564

>>7596555
>co

fuck my phone keypad, I meant /ck/

>> No.7596567

>>7596557
>new england style IPAs
Is this even a thing?
I associate better IPA with more modern hops more with the midwest thanks to Zombie Dust/Pseudo Sue

>> No.7596573

Thinking of picking up a 6pack of; "Coors Banquet".
Anybody have an opinion on this choice?

>> No.7596580

>>7591328
Coffee beer?
I may need to try this!
Usually buy mainstream shit

>> No.7596582

>>7596573
better than but I guess, but why would anyone ever buy a shitty macro lager in a 6 pack?
If you are buying bad beer and not doing it in 30 pack form, it seems kind of strange

>> No.7596585

>>7596580
Coffee Stouts are usually delicious, should be pretty easy to find
Founder Breakfast Stout is a classic of the style, but not sold in the summer so probably leaving shelves soon

>> No.7596586

>>7596582
Shits 12$ for a 6pack

>> No.7596591

>>7596586
um what? That can't be true

>> No.7596613

>>7596591
Checked again it's 9.99 for a 6 pack not too bad

>> No.7596617
File: 1.76 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7596617

Drinking this now. It's pretty good, I enjoy most of the stuff Modern Times releases.

>> No.7596624

>>7596613
still seems absurdly high for a basic tier macro
You can can some excellent beer for that price

>> No.7596805
File: 1.25 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7596805

Made some steak for dinner. Paired well with this. I think after the chocolate variant, this is my favorite Yeti.

>> No.7596811
File: 64 KB, 188x228, 1345096828489.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7596811

Am I like the only person who doesn't like IPAs.

Whenever I hear people talk about beers it seems like it's all about that style of beer, and I really don't like beers that are really hoppy so I don't like a lot of IPAs as a result.

>> No.7596819

>>7596805
I know you're supposed to pair darker and heavier beers with heavy food like beef but I've never tried it, wouldn't you want something light and refreshing to go with a heavy meal?

>> No.7596821

>>7596805
Their oatmeal stout is pretty great too.

>> No.7596826

>>7596811
I HATE IPA'S and only drink hefeweizen.

>> No.7596839

>>7596617
Modern Times really impressed me when I visited the west coast. That Blazing World beer is like a much better Nugget Nectar but somehow people still get hyped for NN. I wish I could get Modern Times on the east coast.

>> No.7596853

>>7591235
Bell's Two Hearted is THE go-to balanced IPA.

>>7596367
I don't care much about Hopslam because fresh local IPA's are probably going to be cheaper and possibly better but Expedition Stout isn't overpriced. It is an RIS that comes in 6-packs so it's "expensive" but not overpriced at all if you compare price per ounce to other RIS's. Don't like~16-17$ sticker shock scare you away and buy a slightly cheaper 4-pack.

>> No.7596940

>>7596811
>Am I like the only person who doesn't like IPAs.

Obviously not, talking about how much you don't like IPAs is the new meme.

>> No.7596950
File: 54 KB, 640x400, uncle wojak.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7596950

Am i like the only person who likes APA's?

>> No.7597585
File: 38 KB, 500x500, SinebrychoffKoffPorter-500x500.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7597585

>>7596555
You need dis. Hammer & Sikkel from de Molen is pretty neat, too.

>> No.7597590
File: 18 KB, 145x549, beer_122174.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7597590

>>7596580
Mikkeller Beer geek breakfast series features a nice range of coffee stouts if you are not triggered by the names/prices (picture related). Emelisse espresso porter hits the spot aswell.

>> No.7597602

>>7597590
Also: Jopen Sumatra IPA

>> No.7597672

>>7596811
I like IPA when it isn't a balls-out hop bomb, which is unfortunately rare.

>> No.7597737
File: 17 KB, 129x450, beer_33065.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7597737

Currently drinking through a six of this. I pass by the brewery (sort of) when I visit my folks. I like Old Capitol, but I prefer their Mother's Milk stout.

>> No.7597857
File: 120 KB, 290x480, chillwave-fixed.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7597857

Chillwave. I find it hard to drink an IPA unless it's a double.

>> No.7597880
File: 744 KB, 1739x3520, 805-Bottle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7597880

Just had this last night

>> No.7597932

Got some good stuff today. Going to post it in five hours when I'm home from work. Will post as I drink them.

>> No.7597955
File: 68 KB, 600x1200, 4561.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7597955

>>7586850
OP have you tried this shit?
Xanté is like drinking a pear with light congac taste, tasty as fuck and fucking dangerous.
works with a cigarr och just a beer as company, drink with caution, it doesnt taste like 37% but the hangover will sure tell you it is!

>> No.7597991

>>7597880
I don't get why this is so popular. It's not really better than Budweiser or coors

>> No.7598073

>>7596026

>love for craft beer
>loves the label more than the beer

beer and printing are different crafts.

>> No.7598235
File: 67 KB, 450x599, 1390883271696.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7598235

>>7598073

>"I care about the beer's label...the brewery's aesthetic and visual appeal influence my opinion on beer"
>Decide to purposely misrepresent my argument to make it easier to attack by saying I care MORE about the beer's label than the taste.

faggotry level: reckless

>> No.7598237
File: 998 KB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7598237

Just opened this up since it's friday, and hoppfully it will be good

>> No.7598834
File: 1.45 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7598834

>>7597932
And I'm good to go.
Starting with a Belgian ale, Lupulus is strong but crisp and refreshing with a malty nose and distinct flavor notes of fruit, floral and herbs, nicely balanced.

>> No.7599002
File: 1.59 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7599002

>>7597932
>>7598834
Up next is the Flying Monkey Chocolate Manifesto, the richest chocolate imp stout you'll ever drink.
Brewed here in canada, it lays the sweetness on just shy of being sickly, but the robust bitter notes bring it back down to earth. One of the most indulgent beers I've drank.

>> No.7599043

>>7598237
hehe hoppfully

>> No.7599201

>>7596555
Founder's, AleSmith, Bells, Great Divide, and North Coast all do good porters and stouts in packs at reasonable prices.

Once you get more into imperials, you should try out bourbon barrel beers and more eccentric beers, like Evil Twin, if you can find them.

>> No.7599217
File: 60 KB, 230x874, 36644_Deschutes_RedChairNWPA_Comp_R4_SMP_Bottle.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7599217

These were buy one - get one free 12 packs at the local beer store. Can't say no to$16 for 24 craft brews.
They're tasty, but I'm not sure I want to drink so many of the same beer. Cheaper than most macros, so I'll just invite some friends over to share.

>> No.7599233

>>7599217
>Buy one got one free 12s
Makes me almost wish I didn't live in Canada

>> No.7599243

>>7599233
It was a ridiculous deal. They also had BOGOs of a local brewery's IPA. Worked out to 12 beers for $9.

>> No.7599326
File: 1.42 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7599326

>>7597932
>>7599002
This is a Tripel made for NYE from Beau's, a top five Canadian brewery for me.
It was three bucks off at lcbo so I got it, a bit in the sweet side but overall a nice crisp Tripel and I usually don't drink them.

>> No.7599331

Where do you guys buy your alcohol supermarkets or liquor stores?

>> No.7599375

>>7599331
In Colorado all the beer in supermarkets is 3.5% or less ABV, so I buy my beer at the liquor store.

I miss living in NY. Beer 24/7 almost anywhere.

>> No.7599538

I'm new to beers and so far i'm digging abbey style ales and porters

Any recs?

>> No.7599570

>>7598073
>>7598235

>faggots calling eachother out on faggotry

fuck off fags

>> No.7599574
File: 65 KB, 640x640, florida cracker.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7599574

Despite having lived in Florida for years, only had my first Florida Cracker tonight. Definitely been wasting time.

Absolutely floored by how good this was. Was expecting something maybe okay, with the chance it was too spicy or citrusy-bitter or something. Instead, it's this glorious, perfectly-balanced glass of heaven. Absolutely amazing, especially from something I can buy at the 7-11 down the street.

I should honestly stop being surprised every time I open a Cigar City beer. At this point, almost every beer I've had from them is arguably the best in the style I've tried.

Except Patio Tools. I like me a dry stout, but theirs was somehow just mediocre.

>> No.7599576

>>7599538

judging by that I would suggest imperial stouts and baltic porters. Strong, full bodied and sweet like abbey beers and blacker than reggae

>> No.7599580
File: 69 KB, 576x768, IMG_0718 (resized).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7599580

Hawaiian Sunburn (Elysian Brewing, Seattle)
I didn't like it at first but when I ran out of my Loser Beer I like it now, best light beer for me.

>> No.7599598

>>7599538
Where are you from? Not sure what's available in your area.

Widely available, New Belgium has a solid dubbel, and Founders' Porter is great and can be found most places. I can give you better recs if I know your location, though, maybe.

>> No.7599616

>>7596805
That exact version of Yeti is currently on tap at my local video game bar. I need to go. I've had it in the bottle, but having it off tap while playing Punch-Out!! or Turtles in Time sounds like a dream.

>> No.7599655

>>7599217
Deschutes Red Chair. I buy this every time I see it at my Costco.

>> No.7599702

>>7587832
I'm close enough to the border that I'm kinda contemplating driving to Buffalo just to buy these.

>>7588119
>Awaiting eagerly Schneider Weisse hopped weizens.
Do you mean the Tap 5? If so I agree, that was surprisingly great.

>> No.7599703

>>7599598
I'm in chicago

>> No.7599853

>>7599331
I buy hard liquor at a wine/hard liquor store that carries a bit of beer.

I buy my beer at a beer dispensary that has a huge selection of craft beers.

Ironically, the beer place only let me buy 2 bottles of KBS while the wine/liquor place let me buy 3 packs...

>> No.7599857

>>7599616
Not him, but I've had the espresso Yeti and it's awesome.

I just picked up the chocolate Yeti and am really looking forward to trying it.

>> No.7599867
File: 1.55 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7599867

Had pic related, Bells Two Hearted Ale, Founders Porter, and North Coast Old Stock Ale tonight.

All were good. Happy Friday you fucksticks. I'm going to down some bourbon and pass out.

>> No.7599901

Gonna get some taco bell and drink a porter from a local brewery, scorched earth brewery.

What's new with you lads?

>> No.7599911

>>7599853

>living in a country that doesn't let you buy whatever the fuck you want.

I walk out with three flats of urquell if I so please. or anything else, imported or domestic.

>> No.7600064

Friend of mine gave me a 4-pack of Ten FIDY stout

How good?

>> No.7600074

>>7599911
KBS doesn't work that way as a limited release beer.

Founder's only sells a limited amount of it per shop, once year, so how to sell it is at the store owners discretion.

The beer place gets swarmed with people looking to but it, so limits it per customer and raises the price. The other place had no customers that knew what it was other than me, and let me snag a bunch.

>> No.7600080

>>7600064
Ten Fidy is a really, really nice imperial stout. Getting a 4-pack for free is a treat,

Enjoy my friend.

>> No.7600086
File: 186 KB, 1300x800, KBS2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7600086

>>7599911
>comparing a decent pils to the world's greatest stout

okay.jpg

>> No.7601125

>>7599911

>not living in a country that allows these beautiful beers to exist through careful regional allocations and limited releases

Do you not understand "small-batch"? Do you think highly acclaimed beers would still be good if they made as much of it as they make Coors or Bud?

>> No.7601137

>>7601125

here in Quebec there are plenty of places making beers in small batches. I can still buy as much as I want from any store selling them because the people running them aren't arrogant hipster fucksticks

>> No.7601161

>>7601137
there is no beer like KBS in Quebec.
Also, the problem in fact is the opposite of hipsters, if good beer was simply a hipster thing it would be super easy to find stuff like KBS as it would sit on shelves, the fact that it has become mainstream is what has made super top tier beers difficult to obtain

>> No.7601171

>>7601125
Have you maybe heard of Westvleteren? The monks themselves actually care about how their beer is being sold, so they mostly sell it themselves. They don't need some statist faggot deciding that something is in high demand, so you can only buy limited amounts. The only reason for that would be to create artificial scarcity, which inflates prices even more.

>> No.7601176

>>7601161

You've obviously never been here then.

>> No.7601204

>>7601176
What is one Quebecois beer that is even close to on par with KBS?

>> No.7601218

>>7601204
>muh KBS
Jesus this made me cringe, not even Canadian

When you grow up you'll realize your babby sugar syrup from a sippy cup is fucking boring. The reason there's a baby on the bottle is that it's for babies. Babies like you.

>> No.7601227

>>7601218
KBS was the previously discussed beer. I could literally name over 100 different beers that my point would hold true for

>> No.7601228

>>7601204
Not that guy but there are manny beers like KBS in Quebec. Anon will name a beer you have not heard of and cannot access, you will refute his suggestion based on what you read on beer advocate or whatever, and nothing will be resolved. Repeat.

>> No.7601231

>>7596224
Same. I drink Newcastle all the time. Excellent.

>> No.7601235

>>7601227
And I'm sure they'd be spergy, neckbeardy, moar moar MOAR ABV AND SUGAR because I'M TOTALLY NOT DRINKING "PISSWATER" beers.

When will you learn that a beer isn't good by virtue of having hit points, like in some kind of dumb ass dungeons & dragons game. That is in fact kind of a red flag that it's a novelty gimmick beer. Like people who measure how good a food is by how many scovilles it has. Food is not a monster to be conquered so you can "level up"

>> No.7601240

>>7601235
whats you favorite beer?

>> No.7601244

>>7601235
Seems you have a fundamental misunderstanding of beer, please stick to your Heineken and wine?

>> No.7601258

>>7601240
I don't have a favorite, anyone who has a favorite beer has a shit palate. Yesterday I had a Rio Uijin Special which was really good, but I don't like to drink the same style of beer every day.
>>7601244
Nope, but looks like I figured you out correctly. Everything is a butthurt overreaction to macro lagers, so whatever properties a beer has in common with a macro lager including ABV or IBU is a mark against that beer.

Have you considered the fact that macro lagers are in fact beer, and therefore, by your very own logic, drinking something that ISN'T BEER AT ALL means you've totally moved past macro lager and you're not like the plebs?

Stop drinking beer if you don't like beer.

>> No.7601267

>>7601258
Dude, you need to calm down
Just because something has more than 4.5% ABV doesn't mean it is some evil ladies' drink. Drinking shitty lager doesn't make you cool and hip

>> No.7601273

>>7601267
Do you realize it's not 2003 and people no longer consider PBR fashionable?

>> No.7601284

>>7601273
thats exactly what I was telling the guy

>> No.7601293

>>7601284
Who is "the guy"? Who are you? I'm the guy who doesn't have a chip on his shoulder about Heineken, a beer is measured on its own merits not by how different it is from Heineken down to the size of the bottle and the whether it has bubbles.

You need to just accept that you hate beer and you're on a perma-mission to show how fancy you are by how much alcohol and sugar you can pack into a glass. I suggest Benedictine, that will show the plebs that you are DEFINITELY not a pleb anymore. Plenty of bitter herbs, sugar, and no pleb bubbles. Only thing it's green just like a Heineken bottle OMG PLEB SHIT BETTER THROW IT OUT

>> No.7601300

>>7601293
Im like 88.3% sure this is a ruse

>> No.7601303

>>7601293
Sorry I meant Chartreuse but I typed Benedictine, better not drink Benedictine because it has a brown bottle just like Budweiser ZOMG PLEB SHIT

>> No.7601309

>>7601293
Green bottles are fucking awful. They are objectively bad for beer quality. No one should use them

The only beer to my knowledge that can get away with not using brown bottles or cans is High Life because Miller figured out how to chemically remove the species responsible for reacting with UV radiation forming the skunkiness Heineken and other light bottle beers are so famous for

>> No.7601316

>>7601309
Chartreuse isn't beer, idiot.

>> No.7601325

>>7601316
um, ok, why are you telling me this though?

>> No.7601327

>>7599703
Do you have access to Great Lakes up there? Because Edmund Fitzgerald is supposed to be a god tier porter.

>> No.7601330

>>7601327
Not sure but i'll look into it

>> No.7601331

>>7600086
>I need to go out and see if anywhere around here has it.

>> No.7601334

>>7601325
Because you are stupid and stupid opinions are irresistible bait.

>> No.7601337

>>7601309

there should be a law against it. Recently in Canada Pilsner Urquell switched to brown, but Budvar is still sold in green. Take some of the best lager in the world and make it taste like a skunk's asshole because some stupid marketing team doesn't know it's ass from it's elbow.

>> No.7601343

Wow, this thread got awful.

>> No.7601350

>>7599538
Stouts of all kinds are synonymous to porter these days so any stout.

It seems like you have learned to appreciate two of the more 'newbie unfriendly' styles so my suggestion is: everything. Just go for DIPAs or lambics already and see if you like them.

>> No.7601356

>>7601350
stouts are very newbie friendly, I don't know where these neckbeards get the idea that it takes a PhD in beer before you can graduate to beer that comes in a different color and darker malts

>> No.7601364

>>7601356
Hmm ...I don't know maybe from the reactions from most lager boys to anything that isn't bud light?

>> No.7601369

>>7601364

>lager is all yellow

go back to the beer store and do some fucking research

>> No.7601373

I only really like japanese beers and guinuss, looking to broaden my horizons though.

>> No.7601378

>>7601373
Yeah both are pretty watery.

Try different beers... or don't. If you are happy with your current tastes than why bother trying to like something else?

>> No.7601379

>>7601364
I thought you were told to stop posting. It's clear you hate beer.

>> No.7601397

>>7600086
Had this last night. Overrated as fuck. Tastes just like their regular breakfast stout just at double the abv. Not worth the hype

>> No.7601404

>>7601235
Dude stop talking your emberasing yourself. Ive worked in beer for about 4 years now first as a brewer and now as a sales rep for a brewery. There isnt such a thing as gimmick beer stop sounding so stupid.

>> No.7601413

>>7601378
well im happy with them but im more curious about other beers. Its like anything, you have favorites but if you try another then it might stick with you

>> No.7601414

>>7601404
>my job is dependent on coming up with tricks to get millennials to notice my company's me-too beers
>no gimmicks honest!
irony: the person

>> No.7601417

>>7601379
*tips fedora*

>> No.7601421

>>7601369
your mom is yellow, senpai

>> No.7601428

>>7601414
youre a literally nobody on a beer thread trying to sound cool for liking macro. You like macro good for you so does everyones unkle and younger cousins.

You literally dont know a thing or two when it comes to beer yet here you are shitposting and yet somehow getting me to reply. You dont like craft beer, cool. But making yourself sound stupid for dissing beer that is objectivly made with more craft and care than macro is ludacris. Not trying to resort to name calling but it sounds like youre either under 21 or simply just cant handle anything over 4.5% abv.

>> No.7601473

>>7601428
>Uijin Special is a macro because it's not 190% alcohol
Fucking kill yourself, jesus christ

>> No.7601521
File: 471 KB, 1520x2688, IMAG0613.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7601521

Dark this just before, nice IPA. Very citrusy.

>> No.7601522

>>7601473
Being a Macro beer has nothing to do with abv. Has to do with scale its brewed at and its distribution.

Thanks for once again proving you dont even know what youre talking about.
Rio distributes to more than six diffeent countires, thats not a micro brewery. Its not coors light or ab levels of macro but its still considered macro. Please stop being retarded

>> No.7601529
File: 385 KB, 1520x2688, IMAG0614.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7601529

>>7601521
Followed it up with this, which is really great. Lots of dark chocolate and coffee. Only 4.7%, but tastes oddly boozy.

>> No.7601531
File: 101 KB, 512x384, le_classy_gentleman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7601531

>>7601522
>that sperg who thinks goose island is literally worse than hitler because they're available outside of the 312 area code now
If you could press a button and destroy any beer that isn't brewed by some random dude in his basement, you'd totally do it wouldn't you

>> No.7601537

>>7601531
You can green text and meme all you want but when you dont even know what basic terms like macro brewing mean nobody here is gonna take you seriously.

>> No.7601549

>>7601537
you people change the definitions to fit your agenda. hence the goose island example. your internal mental state is unknowable, so the nice thing about your argument is that anyone can be right or wrong depending on MUH FEELINGS.

>> No.7601573

>>7601549
"You people". Beer drinkers? Lol. There are certain guidlines on how you can legally be called a micro vs macro brewery by several brewers associations. Goose island post buyout is making too much beer and has too much corparite control and thus legally can longer be call micro. Does that mean im never drink one of their beers again? Of course not. Because like i said earlier there are no gimmick beers or shit beers. Just diffrent lvels of quality. If you dont like a nice 12% prairie bomb stout and prefer a widmer bros hefe thats fine but dont call one styl a gimmick just because you cant get into it. It just makes you look stupid.

>> No.7601575

>>7591328
This is a silly question, but how much caffeine, if any, would something like this have in it?

>> No.7601588

>>7601573
>beer drinkers
No, spergs with speshul snowflake complexes.

People who actually appreciate beer can enjoy a central european lager or a high ABV imperial stout equally.

People like you measure a beer's goodness by how much it totally doesn't remind you of pissbeer macro water. As defined by whatever characteristics it has in common with Heineken: ABV, PO box of the holding company, how many ml are in the container, and so on.

Please, do go on about how you need a PhD in beer science to be able to drink stout. Your views on beer are an endless source of amusement to me.

>> No.7601600

>>7601588
You should actually read the post youre replying to before your lumpy sauseges hit that keyboard.

I literally said people should enjoy both. Youre the only one here with "muh hipster macro hating boogymen". Craft beer is changing beer for the better. Look up recent studies about how fast its growing and how percentages are starting to sway in favor of micro over macro. Change is good, dont be scared of it gramps.

>> No.7601615

>>7601600
your actual argument: if you don't exclusively drink gimmick garbage beer, you hate craft beer and can only "handle" (lol) beer under 4.5% ABV, which is, by definition, not craft beer.

I don't know what backwater you live in, but this "change" you described is already taken for granted. normal people can just judge a beer by how good it tastes rather than how few characteristics it shares with [pick your macro beer boogyman]

what will it take for people in your area to move on?

>> No.7601689

>>7601615
Thanks for making up that argument for me. Youre basically arguing with yourself at this point because all that garbage you just spewed came from your head not mine.

>> No.7601710

>>7601404
I work as a distributor rep, and I mostly agree with you and think the guy you're replying to is stupid, but thinking there's no such thing as a gimmick beer is flat out wrong. See Pineapple Sculpin or anything that Rogue produces.

If you don't mind sharing on a mongolian file sharing database, what brewery do you represent?

>> No.7601719

>>7601531
Goose Island is the worst because they make terrible beer now. For a while I thought they sold out the right way and let AB produce their year round stuff so they could focus on their serious beers, but now that all the Ladies series have gone to shit and so much Bourbon County is infected they're nothing but sell outs that let a good brand turn to more macro trash.

>> No.7601727

>>7601710
Rouge i can see whith there strange siracha beers that taste terrible and border line undrinkable but i dont like labeling beers gimmick beers just because they maybe ink too much outside the box. Sales rep for beachwood brewing in la btw.

>> No.7601743

>>7601727
I guess we just draw the line at a different degree. I'd consider Sam Adams coming out with a grapefruit treatment of Rebel IPA because of the huge success of Grapefruit Sculpin a gimmick, as well as Ballast Point making Pineapple Sculpin for the same reason a gimmick. I wouldn't consider something like Founders Mosaic Promise a gimmick just because Mosaic is more widely available and a very desirable hop though.

>> No.7601753

>>7601397
>KBS
>Overrated

I dunno how you think that, it literally tastes nothing like their Breakfast Stout.

>> No.7601768

>>7601743
I kind of hate and love ballast point for making that whole fruit ipa thing kick off. Lots of breweries are doing those now and while some are ok a lot just taste terrible IMO. besides adding juice to beer has made bp lazy. Mango even keel, wtaermelon dorado and pinapple sculpin where very mediocre beers to me.

>> No.7601960

Just bought a bottle of Surly's Pentagram on impulse because I couldn't pass up such a satanic looking brew.

What am I in for?

>> No.7601977

>>7601719
At least I had a good burger at their resturaunt once

>> No.7602120

>>7596826
You have good taste my friend.

>> No.7602123

>>7601768
I generally agree.

I think the Grapefruit Sculpin is nice, I'm not a fan of the rest. Citrus based IPAs work for me, but that's about it.

If I want a fruity beer I'll just get a Lambic or something.

>> No.7602145

Picked up a Stone sampler pack last night with a buddy. Turns out they only make IPA's that taste very similar.

>> No.7602159

>>7602145
I really don't like Stone because of that. All they really do is put out over hopped, average at best beer at high prices.

>> No.7602161

>>7596354
What? A 6 pack of two hearted is 7.99. I can get a pint of the stuff for 4.50 down the road and I'm not even in Michigan. I only think hopslam is overpriced. All their other seasonals are priced pretty normally, they just aren't in 4 packs like most other places have their seasonal specialty stuff in

>> No.7602166

>>7601960
A winelike sour. I really like pentagram, even before getting into sours I liked it.

>> No.7602228
File: 1.39 MB, 200x150, 1389177852579.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7602228

>>7601171
>>7601137

>the only reason for that would be to create artificial scarcity, which inflates prices even more.

Good job revealing you have absolutely no clue what goes into manufacturing a beer like KBS. I'll give you a hint, time, resources, a fuckload of more time, and wages for people to monitor the beer for a fuckload of time.

That's why it's 20 bucks for a 4 pack, not because "hipster fucksticks" out of the own volition decide to market craft beer at an inflated price. Competition eliminates that possibility. You'll notice if you go to any bottle shops in your region, the prices aren't going to vary more ore less than the prices of retailers in the area. Every region has it's own distributors that have an adjusted price for beer depending on what the brewery sells it for.


Nor do you have even a minimal grasp of how the economy works. I'm a receiver for a supermarket and work closely with these distributor's representatives, and they all say the same thing: They don't dictate wholesale prices, the breweries do, and the businesses that sell their product calculate their retail cost based on a profit margin that has to fall within the price range of retailers in the area by a dollar or two.

>Here in quebec this, here in quebec that

Are there any beers from quebec that I can go down the street and buy here in NC? Hmm, guess we found the variable.

>> No.7602248

>>7602228
>implying you have any idea how supply & demand work
this isn't made of some endangered species, it's made of commodity agricultural goods and the fact that there are lines of neckbeards lined up to buy it when a shipment comes in means that supply is far short of demand. which of course is by design, unless you are seriously going to argue that their manufacturing methods cannot possibly be scaled up.

the problem with scaling up production on a cult beer is that, even though beer brewing is literally just chemistry, neckbeards would revolt if they no longer had the opportunity to instagram their "score" and impress their neckbeard friends. if everyone could buy it, it turns into the next goose island which is basically even worse than ISIS and central european lager combined

>> No.7602256

>>7602248
I costs a fucking lot of money to scale up production of more labor intensive beers. Sure there is a little marketing involved but to suggest that a small brewery like Founders has the capacity to keep most of the country stocked with 4 packs of KBS year round is ridiculous

Craft breweries across the country are mostly expanding as quickly as possible, but unless you sell out to one of the macros you are not going to have the money to keep up with demand if you are popular and make good stuff

>> No.7602264

>>7602248

>an imperial stout brewed with a massive amount of coffee and chocolates

Because America grows both of those, right?

>cave-aged in oak bourbon barrels for over a year

Please, tell me more about how the most prominent characteristic of this beer is a farmed commodity.

>seriously going to argue that their manufacturing methods cannot possibly be scaled up

Sure, their manufacturing methods technically could be scaled up, however, Founders makes more than one beer, so their brewery is likely operating at max capacity when they're fermenting their highly anticipated seasonals.

>lines of neckbeards

Is it the enjoying of beer that makes someone neckbearded, or is it the completely uninformed argument against expensive beer where you proceed to meme-drop "neckbeards" on an anime image board?

>> No.7602267

>>7602256
>capital investment costs money
Amazing discovery, someone should tell you about return on investment. If KBS wasn't valued mainly for its scarcity the ROI would be high. Since it is valued for its scarcity, scaling up would reduce demand and diminish the image of the entire brand.

Also, there are other ways of getting money for a successful business, besides just selling the entire company to a competitor. You just have to convince your investors that they're going to make money on the deal. If the analysts find that the flagship product is only valued for its scarcity, then obviously ploughing millions of dollars into plant and personnel isn't going to be a very good deal now, is it.

>> No.7602274
File: 491 KB, 1024x768, line_2_taste.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7602274

>>7602264
>america doesn't grow coffee or chocolate
Actually it is possible to buy US-grown versions of both, but more importantly those are agricultural commodities. Meaning to say you can buy them on global markets, there is no magical rule that says that because a crop comes from abroad, there is less of it.
>Please, tell me more about how the most prominent characteristic of this beer is a farmed commodity.
The fact that oak barrels cost money never stopped any other industry from using them, except, apparently, the beer industry. Fascinating.
>Is it the enjoying of beer that makes someone neckbearded, or is it the completely uninformed argument against expensive beer where you proceed to meme-drop "neckbeards" on an anime image board?
It's the beard that grows out of their necks. Don't be mad at me for having eyes.

>> No.7602282

>>7602267
Yeah, if you want to take on investors. Thats entirely beside the point though

The fact is that they could easily generate demand for the product year round

>> No.7602288

>>7602282
>The fact is that they could easily generate demand for the product year round
Yes, a fact which is proven by the fact that people like you can't stop talking about how it's the best thing ever.

What would be more interesting to see is if they would actually MEET demand year round. Of course, that would be disastrous, so they're not going to do that.

>> No.7602289

>>7602282

>The fact is that they could easily generate demand for the product year round

You're absolutely right. How could Founders, a multi-million dollar brewery on the stock market, have overlooked this opportunity for profit?

>> No.7602292

>>7602274
>he fact that oak barrels cost money
Its the storage for a year that adds the cost to a much larger extent than buying the literal barrels

Also, please keep in mind that stronger beer generally costs more to produce as the final ABV is roughly proportional to the amount of malt going into it (in fact there are diminishing returns as you get higher so the cost increase per ABV is even more as it gets higher)

>> No.7602300

>>7602289
Do you seriously think they have open fermenters just waiting for the demand to build?
Almost all craft breweries run at capacity these days. The profit margin for them is higher on their lighter beers so most of their production capacity goes toward it
They could make money only making KBS, but they can make a lot more money allocating more of their effort towards higher profit margin beers like fucking All Day IPA

>> No.7602302

>>7602274

Who the fuck thinks oak barrels are expensive? It's the YEAR, 365 continuous days, that's the costly part, not just for KBS but for any aged beer. Why does wine go up in cost when it's vintage is older? Because the person that goes in and checks on these barrels, monitoring temperature, sanitation, and condition, is probably a home owner with a wife and children.

>> No.7602328

>>7602302
>Why does wine go up in cost when it's vintage is older?
It usually doesn't, and the kinds of wines that are aged are almost always released well before their drinking window, and end up purchased by third parties who then hold them and either drink them or sell them.

Also, you are simply not going to be able to convince me that storing barrels of beer in a state where businesses are flocking to because the cost of doing business (and real estate) is dirt cheap, is somehow cost prohibitive.

>> No.7602335
File: 37 KB, 399x299, LE BRAVE NEW VIRAL MEME.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7602335

>>7602328

>you're wrong and here's a buzzword fountain to prove it

>also wine doesn't get more expensive with time lel

>> No.7602340

>>7602335
>buzzword fountain
Are you that semiliterate retard who thinks "hooch" is a rare and exotic word? Exactly which word do you consider a buzzword?

>> No.7602349

>>7602328
its not prohibitive, but it certainly adds an appreciable cost to the product. Buying a huge fucking warehouse and all the equipment need to age beer for a year is fucking expensive. Releasing all of the beer at once makes it a little easier, trying to keep it stocked year round would be a nightmare logistically for a beer with such a small profit margin

I don't think there is any brewery making a significant portion of their profits directly on barrel aged beer, they do them because people like good beer and the buzz created by excellent beer raises the profile of all their beer

>> No.7602353
File: 32 KB, 500x587, le_funny_picture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7602353

>>7602349
Sorry I have to look up those scary buzzwords
>prohibitive
>appreciable
>warehouse
>stocked
>logistically
>margin
>significant
>profile
Next time can you please post it in regular average guy words? Your pretentiousness is triggering me.

>> No.7602355

>>7598237
>>7598834
>>7599002
>>7599326
Back to save this thread
It's Saturday and I've got lots more good stuff in the fridge. sipping a sorachi ace now, will post next beer soon

>> No.7602367

>>7602328
Wine stops aging for the most part once it is put in the bottle. After that, it just oxidizes as it ages instead of "aging."

>> No.7602369

>>7601719
Goose Island was always shit, you fucking faggot

>> No.7602373
File: 31 KB, 320x240, le_snob.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7602373

>>7602367
>oxidizes
Well la di da, college boy. Care to break that down in American, or is our language to simple for ur fancy French words?

>> No.7602379

You assholes are ruining the thread with your arguing

Cut it out

>> No.7602388

>>7602373
That's a plain jane English word, ya faggot. Go back to high school, redneck piece of shit.

>> No.7602392

>>7602355
Sorachi ace is good, but not for the price. I'd love to have a couple in hot weather, but im not paying more than 8$ a 4 pack

>> No.7602413

>>7591874
>roasty
fucking roasties
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>> No.7602414
File: 1.84 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7602414

>>7602355
Beau's Koru
A Belgian style pale ale, medium body with an interesting nose. Fades from there though.

>> No.7602506

>start using untapped september of last year
>over 500 distinct since then
Beer is gr8.

>> No.7602530

>>7602506
Jesus. I'm intimidated.

>> No.7602532
File: 30 KB, 600x600, kaltenecker-chopper-ipa-15-66-alk-05l.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7602532

Czech IPA, not overly bitter and very fragrant.

inb4 pleb, memebeer

idgaf

>> No.7602542
File: 526 KB, 2448x1836, rA5sw0D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7602542

One of the better coffee ales I've had. Got a fresh growler of it on the way up to Grand Marais. Even better on nitro.

>> No.7602554
File: 1.61 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7602554

>>7602414
You guys should know this one. One of the premier Dubbel ales on earth, for me it's second only to rochefort 8.

>> No.7602564

>>7602530
By my alcoholism and flagrant overspending?

>> No.7602597
File: 38 KB, 612x752, 1392317862906.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7602597

>>7602379

YOu want me to just sit here idly while people call my town's bottle shop owners "hipster fucksticks" and tell me KBS is overhyped garbage?

>> No.7602606

>>7602597
But it is, anon. You'll learn to accept this eventually.

>> No.7602619
File: 8 KB, 160x149, 1342902992373.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7602619

When people try and take my KBS

>> No.7602641

>This cryptic shill thread brought to you by KBS

>> No.7602643

>>7602641
yeah, because KBS needs to advertise

>> No.7602652

>>7602619
I've got two in the fridge I don't particularly have an interest in drinking. I drank one and gave one to a friend. I'm not a huge bourbon barrel stout fan in general, but I also didn't find KBS to be THAT great, not $5 a bottle great. Recently had Departed Spirit which I thought was a lot better, albeit it was $15 for a bomber. Was feeling pretty good by the end of it as well.

>> No.7602742
File: 1.55 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7602742

>>7602554
Beau's B Sides are beers they brew with smaller breweries. This one in particular is La Formidable, an American/Belgian IPA with Belgian yeast and mouthfeel as well as malt characteristic, and hops that signal the classic American IPA. Really well balanced and delicious.

>> No.7602839

So what's rhe difference between a pale ale and an indian pale ale? Are pale ales just as bitter as an IPA?

>> No.7602843

>ITT: butthurt arguing over dumb shit
>not people posting what they're drinking or being chill
>the same guy hating on KBS over and over

Grow up, learn to appreciate all styles of beers, and grow a pair and drink imperials you faggot(s).

KBS is a nice damn beer. It's sold once a fucking year and most of its clones are shit. Obviously if that wasn't so or it was year round there'd be less hype. But it's not the only fish in the pond, and there's plenty of other beers to love. Also, stop pretending Canada is relevant in terms of beer.

>> No.7602900

>>7602839
No, IPAs are much hoppier, they were created to survive the trip from Europe to India. You can look at BJCP style guidelines if you want to know the hardcore differences.

>> No.7602918
File: 1.54 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7602918

>>7602742
Beau's Coeur Noir black IPA.
The roast notes balance the hops so nicely.
I am starting to feel pretty drunk.

>> No.7602938

>>7602900
>You can look at BJCP style guidelines if you want to know the hardcore differences.
BJCP isn't ideal, it's basically a clearly delineated, simplified system for beer judging, with the addednegative that they often seem to fuck up their research when making categories, often seemingly relying on statements from primarily US based beer writers with an inability or unwillingness to do primary research.

It surprised me when I found out that beer sommelier program heavily relies on the BJCP.

>> No.7603123
File: 63 KB, 640x640, floridian.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7603123

Pair of local beers tonight.

Pic related is solid, but I don't like it as much as my friends. Don't get as much banana as I expect from a hefeweizen.

Also finishing the last of my Maduro six pack. Best (reasonably available) brown you can find.

>> No.7603226

Tried some Smirnoff green apple. It's like 7-Up with alcohol.
I'm thinking of trying Angry Orchard next.

>> No.7604454

Just noticed the World of Beer near me has Puppy's Breath on tap.

That will be my lunch destination.

>> No.7604500
File: 211 KB, 320x480, Screenshot_2016-04-24-18-09-54.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7604500

First time posting on this board, already drank 2 cheap beers. Love beer but hate those faggots that only drink artisan beers. Whats your opinion on Bavaria 8.6.? Its cheap, alcoholic and not so bad taste

>> No.7604532

>>7604500
Nice shoes ausperg faggot

>> No.7604536
File: 462 KB, 972x1728, FlyingMonkeysChocoManifesto.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7604536

Insane beer. Too much chocolate to be enjoyable!

>> No.7604546
File: 546 KB, 2299x2175, 20160424_113613-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7604546

Just woke up


Living the high life

>> No.7604550

>>7604500
Define, "artisan beers," before I figure out if you're an idiot or not for caring that it's all people drink.

>> No.7604552

>>7604536
That seems impossible.

>> No.7604560

>>7604552
Thought that as well hence why i bought it. Never again.

>> No.7604578
File: 58 KB, 500x431, humúnculo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7604578

Pizza Homunculus!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heMjjXRkIgk

>> No.7604602
File: 743 KB, 1300x1857, Hoegaarden.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7604602

This one

>> No.7604616

>>7602532
Kaltenecker is a Slovak brewery
t. a Czech

>> No.7604623

>>7604532
thanks
>>7604550
I mean, those who only talk shit about cheap beer and then drink "expensive" oned.

>> No.7604640
File: 108 KB, 640x480, Beer-Ale-Asylum-Hu$hMoney-crRobinShepard-03162016[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7604640

Anyone outside of Wisconsin drink ale asylum? I know Hopalicious is kind of their well known one. Bar I went to last night had one of their seasonals on tap and it was terrific, Hush Money

>> No.7604675
File: 151 KB, 1280x720, WIN_20160424_13_28_04_Pro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7604675

gimmie ales and none of this fruit flavored bull shit

>> No.7604684

>>7604675
Working that Samuel Smith like it's a firm cock.

>> No.7604705

>>7604640
Ale Asylum is excellent. Bedlam is probably my favorite. Looking forward to trying their new IPA released this past week

>> No.7604737

New thread? I've got more stuff to post.

>> No.7604754
File: 164 KB, 1280x720, WIN_20160424_14_02_07_Pro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7604754

>>7604684
is the closet case jealous or just feeling frisky?

we can totally meet up bro. i'll lick your can hard

>> No.7604830

>>7604705
Glad to hear someone else has heard of it, their beers are excellent I'm glad they're starting to get wider recognition. What's their new IPA? I've had Velveteen Habit in the past and it was awesome

>> No.7604835

>>7591874
they have this on tap in my local occasionally.

This and Saltaires Triple Chocoholic are some of my favourite stouts out of a tap

>> No.7604843

>>7604830
the new one is called High Coup, and yeah Velveteen Habit is great

>> No.7604856

>>7604843
Nice, I'll have to try it. By the way, Hu$h Money was good, but almost an APA. It wasn't too hoppy, but very drinkable, I was surprised when I found out it was 7.8% ABV, had to take a taxi last night because 3 pints of it got me pretty pissed

>> No.7604882
File: 438 KB, 1728x972, SixpointBengali.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7604882

Really nice ipa. Not the freshest can still good!

>> No.7605085

>>7604454
They were out by the time I got there.

This is the worst day of my life.

>> No.7605094

>>7604623
Why is expensive in quotes? Are the beers they're drinking not really expensive?

Is buying based on price important to this person you're creating in your head?

>> No.7605124
File: 1.13 MB, 758x1010, Skjermbilde 2016-04-24 kl. 21.38.49.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7605124

Brewed a kettle soured berliner weisse this weekend. Gonna add watermelon to it when it's done fermenting, hopefully it's gonna be a nice quaffable summer-beer.

Drinking a Citra single-hop IPA, it's delicious.

>> No.7605255

>tfw all the liquor stores in my area don't keep their fancy beers cold
>tfw roommates made us a sober house so I can't keep beer in the fridge
>cans and bottles stacked in my closet until I can get an hour alone in the house to dump everything in my trunk to give to the mexicans where I work

By the time I can live like a more proper alcoholic, I'll be in AA, I swear.

>> No.7605265

>>7605255
>>tfw roommates made us a sober house so I can't keep beer in the fridge
lol what?

>> No.7605279

>>7605265
2 roommates are ex alcoholics and one is a Christian who doesn't drink. They made it a house rule for no drinking or drugs about 5 months ago.

>> No.7605325

>>7605279
thats fucking ridiculous that they impose that shit on you

>> No.7605758

>>7605279
Were you already there?

>> No.7606848

>>7604616
I stand corrected.

>>
Delete posts
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action