[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 50 KB, 1200x630, organic-food-on-board-fb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7966794 No.7966794 [Reply] [Original]

Why don't you eat more pesticide-free organic food, /ck/?

It's tastier, packs more vitamins and nutrients and doesn't give you cancer.

>> No.7966800

>>7966794
>Why don't you eat more pesticide-free organic food, /ck/?
All the food i eat is pesticide-free and organic, it's not impossible to do.
It just takes a little planning and forward thinking.

>> No.7966817

>>7966794

1) Organic food contains pesticide just like normal produce does. It's just a different list of pesticides that are used.

2) It's nutritionally the same as normal produce.

I choose based on evaluating the specific produce I'm buying. It's absurd to say that organic is always tastier (or the opposite) because produce varies in freshness and quality regardless of label. When I buy produce I examine both the conventional and the organic. I buy whichever one is the best at that time. Sometimes it's organic, sometimes it's not.

>> No.7966873

>>7966817
This. Organic food nutters being against pesticides is crazy enough, but some of them are against GMO's. I don't get them. Do they just see scary words and start screaming and running around like chickens?

>> No.7966884

>>7966873
And btw it isn't tastier. Most gallups/tests show that people can't differentiate between organic and non-organic in a blind test. It's just placebo based on our pre-conceived expectations.

>> No.7966888

>>7966873
>Do they just see scary words and start screaming and running around like chickens?

I'm opposed to GMOs. Not because I think they're dangerous or anything like that--they're not. I'm opposed to them because it's yet another step in the wrong direction. It's all about lowering the cost and raising the yield as much as possible. We don't need any more of that. We've already fucked over the flavor in our food supply. We don't need grains with higher yield or tomatoes that can withstand being tossed around like a baseball. We need food that tastes like it used to taste. GMOs are a step backward in that regard. Dangerous? No. Sacrificing taste in the name of MOAR MOAR MOAR? That's a problem.

>> No.7966890

>>7966884
>And btw it isn't tastier.

Yes. I already said that:

>>7966817
>It's absurd to say that organic is always tastier...

>> No.7967423

>>7966888
Yield isn't the main thing they engineer for in developed markets. They do some of that, but mainly it's things like shelf-life, crop hardiness, and improved consistency between crops. It's not about growing more, it's about being able to sell more of what you can grow. You might argue that it's the same thing, but it's really not.

It's about efficiency, and people will be glad we bothered with figuring out how if there's still people around in 100 years.

>> No.7968177

>>7966888
>food doesn't taste like it used to!!!
Have you considered that, as you get older, your taste buds become less receptive?

>> No.7968302

>>7966873
I'm not against the concept of GMOs, and I understand that crop yield increase from GMOs has actually saved a ton of starvation. However I worry about the fact that certain GMO crops (notably soybeans, cottonseed oil) that have been deemed safe by the FDA have been found by institutions in other countries to be statistically linked to significantly higher levels of certain cancers and sterility in rats and livestock by agencies in places like France and Russia.
I don't know that French and Russian food agencies are better researched than their American counterparts, and I don't know if they have an agenda or not, but I do know that the FDA is commonly headed by former executives of and lobbyists for the major agricultural companies that produce a lot of the GMOs in question... and often go back to quite lucrative jobs in the industry after leaving the FDA.
The incentivization for corruption leaves me wary. So, I've got the money to eat non-GMO on these products, and I don't eat much stuff that is notably more expensive when non-GMO, so it doesn't seem like a problem to cover my ass just in case.

>> No.7968358

>>7966794
Hate to break it to you Greenpeace, but there's no such thing as pesticide-free farming (unless you wanna lose a large chunk of your crops to insects, bugs gotta eat too)
While organic pesticides might have been a good idea back when we were using DDT, pesticides used by organic farmers are much more dangerous than current artificial pesticides.
Also if you're that worried, it's called washing your produce, give it a try.

>> No.7969182

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_genetically_modified_crops
I can care less about corn, soy/processed meat products and margarine spreads. Now then they are ready with the wheat research and theoretically rye bread becoming more expensive... dunno. The whole point of rye it can be harvested in much colder climates then wheat, it's hard to beat.