[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 8 KB, 259x194, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8197312 No.8197312 [Reply] [Original]

Hey cu/ck/s, new aspiring cook here.

I'm going to try and bake an Italian style bread to get my feet wet with cooking, and I'm not sure what ingredients I should be looking for.

Is there a particular flour that is better (more natural) than others, or would any flour do? What are some common mistakes I should know before starting?

Is there a sweet spot for how long to let the dough rise? Or is it largely a personal preference thing?

I'm going to try adding rosemary, olive oil, and a hint of garlic but honestly I'm not sure about the ratios. Any help is appreciated.

>> No.8197683

Is there another board that actually cooks that I can post this on?

>> No.8197688

>>8197683
I'm sorry, /ck/ is mostly just fat fucks talking about trash they like to eat.

>> No.8198007
File: 340 KB, 505x385, 1473735499724.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

great bread, OP
enjoy your stale

>> No.8198090

>>8198007
This isnt funny.

>> No.8198129

make sure to use very warm water. this will wake up the yeast, and your kneading will keep the dough warm and active. Other than that, the bread is forgiving and you can feel it and get a sense of when it's ready.

also to keep it from sticking to the pan, oil the pan with peanut oil and sprinkle cornmeal on the bottom and sides. That is a sure fire way to keep it from sticking, every time.

>> No.8198136

>>8197312
I prefer KING ARTHUR flours.
If you don't have a recipe already, you can find some good ones on their web site.
As for "sweet spots " , the humidity of your location plays into it. Adjust the water accordingly. It may take a few tries to get it right. When adding moist ingredients such as the olive oil, you may have to adjust the water accordingly.

>> No.8198187

>>8197312
This isn't specifically an "italian" bread, but it makes a good crusty loaf and the dough is fairly easy to work with. It's a good beginner bread to try before you move into longer rises and wetter doughs.

4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp active dry yeast (not rapid rise)
1 3/4 cups lukewarm water

Mix salt and flour. Add yeast to water and let stand 10 minutes. Should have a little foam. Add water/yeast mixture to flour and mix until dough comes together into a ball. Rest 15 minutes. Knead for 8 minutes or so. Place in bowl at least 3 times size of ball, cover with cotton towel and let rise in warm draft free place for 1-1.5 hours until doubled in size. Remove and press down. Let rest 15 minutes.

Place pizza stone on middle rack in oven. Preheat oven on bake to 425F.

Spread cornmeal or semolina on bread board which you'll use to slide loaf onto stone in oven. Shape loaf by rolling into cylinder and seal by pinching dough. Place on bread board. Cover with cotton towel and rise for 50 minutes.

Heat a couple cups of water to boiling and place water in oven proof dish. Place on lowest rack in oven.

Slide loaf off bread board onto stone. Bake 40 minutes. Remove, place on wire rack and wait 30 minutes.

>> No.8198218

>>8198187
Forgot to say:

Just before putting in oven make 4 shallow slashes across loaf with razor blade or very sharp knife.

>> No.8198627

>>8198129
>>8198136
>>8198187

Thanks guys. I'll dig into it. I'm in Arizona, so I'll probably need more water than usual.