[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 262 KB, 520x768, KkQSSeSCR4ct3uZrbYgMeqLOjsHDea1Tt63jOGsPX7E.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8423619 No.8423619 [Reply] [Original]

When did you realize your mother was a shit chef?

When did you surpass your parents?

>> No.8423784

>>8423619
there are some meals im better at than both of my parents, surpassing my mother wasnt that hard considering the used some of this maggi fix stuff. i simply dont have the variety yet, but this will change.

>> No.8423789

>mum was English
when i stopped making food that was exclusively meat and potatoes.

>> No.8423800

When I realized that steamed vegetables actually don't have the texture of mush when you make them correctly.

>> No.8423836

when i had veggies that were not out of a can

>> No.8423869

My mom has always been a terrible cook
But my god is she an amazing baker the likes of which I'll probably never be as good as

>> No.8423870

I've always known a little. Most of it is because we were poor, but she'll still make meals like 'boiled chicken' which is literally just chicken breasts boiled in water. It's as bad as it sounds.

My dad isn't much better, his idea of "depth of flavor" is to cook everything with peppers. Well, not WITH peppers, he'll just saute some and slap it on top. Signature dish is lousy chicken with store bought teriyaki sauce. I eat it all to be polite of course, but I surpassed them both probably after my first cooking lesson and absolutely dread having to eat at either of their houses.

>> No.8423875

>>8423619
what the fuck kind of thumbnail pic did you pic? are you just shit posting? baiting? this isnt even a very good thread

>> No.8423879

>>8423619
>>8423784
>>8423789
>>8423800
>>8423836
>>8423869
>>8423870
kill yourself unironically

t. mom

>> No.8423887

>>8423870
>boiled chicken
I made this once
For my dog because I ran out of dog food.
I pity you

>> No.8423916

>>8423875
It's a rage comic. Believe it or not we used to make and share these things all over 4chan.

>> No.8424024

She wasn't really shit but the problem with her cooking is that she was obsessed with health and diet's so no fat, no salt and we always had chicken breast with the skin off. Also all of the recipes she followed were written for lazy housewives who couldn't fathom spending more than 20 minutes cooking. I'd imagine that this is a common experience for /ck/.

>> No.8424031

>>8424024
>30 minute meals with rachael ray!

i fucking hated that shit because they all sucked

>> No.8424038

>>8423916
>we
heh, sure thing kiddo. I bet you made plenty of rage me me comics. ffffuuuuuuckkkk lmao xD

>> No.8424043

My mom is mexican so she made some excellent hispanic qusine

Been with white friends house, his mom made some nasty ass shit.

>canned corn
>with grill cheese
>fryed on a dirty skillet
>that was for dinner

Why are white people food so shit?

>> No.8424121

Time changes. Even if you're a better chef now than your mom that doesn't mean that her skills haven't diminished with the passing years. It doesn't mean that she had access to the same ingredients or tools that you have access to now or that she still necessarily has access to those from back then.

>> No.8424122

>>8423619
The second I made my first roux. I didn't have the variety at that time, but my willingness to learn techniques and to advance my culinary knowledge made me better

>> No.8424143

My mom made fine meals, but only knew two or three that weren't "throw everything in the crock pot for eight hours"

>> No.8424198

>>8423619
Early age, about 8.

My grandfather is a superb cook and he had me start helping him for real in the kitchen about that age. I think the breakthrough food for me was literally just some green beans properly cooked and seasoned and my mind was opened to the possibilities in food.

Then I started watching the cooking channel and asking my mom to use some of those recipes. After a few messups in the dishes, she told me that since I watch it I would know how to cook it better.

Which in retrospect was just a clever mom ploy to get me to do the cooking. It worked of course. But over time I certainly became a better cook.

Even after all that now though I still sincerely prefer my mother's spaghetti sauce and its ketchupy sweetness.

>> No.8424212

>>8423879
Maybe if you stopped sucking black dick long enough to attend to your husband and children and actually do your job as a homemaker people would respect you, you filthy cocksuckslut.

Come back when you learn how to boil water whore.

Atleast my mother can make something from a recipe unlike you, then again I am sure there is a fucking recipe for nigger jism pie, your specialty.

>> No.8424221

>>8424043
>Mexican
You have to go back.

Enjoy your flavor back over the wall.

Anyone else find it amazing how Mexicans come to the US and then proceed to rip on the US and white people, always with the cooking too. Like they don't get that trailer trash can't cook, and Mexicans need to feel human somehow so they bring up how delicious there beans and tortillas are.

News flash Paco, your beans and tortillas that your little mammacita made when you were a little mijo living in the bario, were just the cheapest shit she picked up from the corner store on the way back home from cleaning Mr Whities house and sucking his dick, ever wonder why you are lighter skinned than your "father", it is because the white man your mother cleaned house for, also cleaned your mother's "house" every week because your papi's little peepee didnt even make it past the hymen when they married.

Being Mexican should be a crime

>> No.8424225

I know and use many more techniques than my parents do and can make way more types of foods than either of my parents can. My mother is actually a terrific cook, but her recipes are limited to traditional flavors, ingredients and cooking methods from her home country (China). We cook equally well, but she cooks eastern style and I cook western style. For instance, I thicken my soups/sauces with a roux, whereas she uses a starch slurry. For aromatics, I usually use a mirepoix, while she uses scallions+ginger+garlic. I love all of my mother's food. I grew up with parents and grandparents that cook really well and I'm forever grateful for that. I was probably about 16 when my skill set surpassed my parents'. Lately, my mother's been experimenting more with western foods and she's doing well. She's taught herself how to make some incredible ribs recently.

Things I can do that my parents can't:
>baked goods
>roasts
>literally anything involving an oven in general
>any recipe with cheese
>candy making
>pasta dishes
>anything involving blending, whisking, emulsifying

>> No.8424231

My mother cooked professionally.

>> No.8424245
File: 348 KB, 350x233, buildwall.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8424221
I don't like Mexicans. They are like brown little trolls that smell bad and they are not so bright. Then they have the nerve to speak so mighty about their shifty ass cuisine which is dog shit wrapped with inedible corn husks.

I don't like them, I especially hate the gay ones. I'm black and the disgusting bubonic butt blasters just love me. No idea what is the big deal with big boots latinas. They are the same level as fat black chick's from the hood.

>> No.8424250

my mom can cook rice really good. she makes her own sofrito blend and the rice pot she uses is 50 years old from being passed down in the family. other than that she'll burn the shit out of anything else

>> No.8424264

she knows some pretty good techniques
she has a handful of insanely good dishes
most of the time though shes too lazy and just goes with microwave food or crock pot recipes
i think i got better than her when i learned the stuff she knows and then felt alright going out of my comfort zone and trying new stuff

>> No.8424269

Well, I have been cooking for our family since I was 12, so probably somewhere before that? Single mother who didn't have that much time to cook. She does some dishes well though.

>>8423916
They evolved from MSPaint comics, where people actually drew stuff. Then they realized that they were either too inept or lazy to do that and just copypasted same reaction faces. This killed 4chan.

>> No.8424270

>>8423619
>When did you realize your mother was a shit chef?
When she burned rice in a microwave.

>> No.8424277

>>8424221

god damn son you really are mad

>> No.8424284

Shes alright, nothing terrible, but most the meals she prepares are with my dad and hes the best cook in the family
when shes by herself its all about that healthy shit and pinterest food projects
She knows how to make a damn good pistachio cake though

>> No.8424285

My mother is an amazing cook, food and cooking was always a big part of our family and I'm very appreciative for that.

Everyone in our family has their strengths with cooking and we have extended family from China, Vietnam and Europe so there is always great food at our tables for family gatherings.

>> No.8424287
File: 23 KB, 400x400, 068f8a9897846991d4eb7b664c44783e_400x400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8424269
>this killed 4chan
Back to Encyclopedia Drammatica you go, lad.

>> No.8424557

>>8423619
I realized my mom couldn't cook on the same day I learned what frozen food is.

My dad can cook though. He's probably what might be considered run-of-the-mill but he always puts together pretty good Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day spreads for the family.

I'm ahead of my mom in cooking (which isn't saying much), but I haven't gotten on my dad's level yet.

>> No.8424571

>>8423619
It wasn't until I was 18 and moved out that I found out spice racks weren't just for decorations....

Every meal was microwaved canned vegetables without even salt or pepper and either plain baked chicken or pork with no seasoning....also, offbrand Kraft macaroni and cheese was a regular, but she mixed the powder with water instead of milk......

also, didn't know butter existed; thought everything was margarine until I was 18

Lastly, thought that American cheese was the only type of cheese

>> No.8424578

>>8424043
>be mexican
>leave shithole country for great USA
>complain about the great USA not being like your shithole hellhole

sounds par for course Julio

>> No.8424581

>>8423619
never? she's never pretended to be a chef. she just cooked us food and did her best to make it good.

>> No.8424592

>>8424221
Hi /pol/!

>> No.8424597
File: 408 KB, 651x961, usQHq.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8424038
>>8424269
love these comics

>> No.8424603

She isn't

>When did you surpass your parents?
I don't think I have.
My mom and I have pretty much the same attitude towards cooking and food. It's usually varied, reasonably healthy and quite tasty, but certainly not extraodinary. She's still ahead of me in variety and experience.
My father could be a great cook if he wanted to. He is very knowledgeable when it comes to ingredients, taste and technique, but he's also very poor and unfortunately doesn't really care all that much about cooking. He could make pretty much anything, but in reality there is very little variation. However, the simple things he does make are better than I could've made them. He really does know what he's doing.

>> No.8424608

Wasn't exactly ever a secret, she mostly does the few basic dishes over and over again.

Father used to be a high-end chef for decades though.

>> No.8424624

My mom's not a bad chef, she just cuts corners. She used shitty ingredients and leaves out obnoxious steps in a recipe because she works 12 hours days.

>> No.8424625

My mom is ok, depends whether she tries or not. My dad is better at some things, his parents and brothers all cook very well. Uncle makes a great paella and nan makes the best Christmas pudding. She makes them every Christmas and ages them for a full year before sending them to her children.

My gf's mom is Philippino but lives in France (gf is French), and from what I've heard, she's very good. I've only eaten some cheesecake that she made which was really nice, but too rich for me.

>> No.8424627

shes a good cook. not the best on earth, but she did well. got the basic techniques right, cooked things properly (crisp vegetables, med-rare steak etc) and kept trying to improve her repertoire.

i dont think i've out-done her in all areas, but it's interesting. she re-married when i was an adult, and now she cooks differently. more oil in the food, more traditional english stuff (roast meat, veggies etc). i think shes gotten worse because of him, lol.

>> No.8424633

>>8424627
Kill your step-father for allowing your mom's cooking skills to deteriorate

>> No.8424648

>>8423619
When I had a steak not cooked by her

>> No.8424929

My mom was terrible at cooking and dad can't even cook an egg, as far as I remember I started cooking at 15. I'm 28 now, I really love to cook and apparently I'm a badass chef, that's what my friends and coworkers are saying.

>> No.8424968

>>8424212
BOOM! ROASTED!!!

>> No.8425002

>>8424043
I feel ya anon.

>dat Carne Asda
>dat Pozóle
>Muele
>garnitás

Ah, being overwhelmed never felt so good.

>> No.8425012
File: 2.88 MB, 640x360, perfectly_cooked_chicken_extra_juicy.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8424221
Enjoy your canned meal.

At least we can make food 10x better.

>pic related
>a white guy made this

>cache: 0113 mexico

>> No.8425024

>>8423619
Both my parents are really good cooks actually, along with both grandmothers. That's where i got my interest in cooking from.

>> No.8425029

>>8424221
>Enjoy your flavor back over the wall.
>The entirety of texas, arizona, and new WHATxico's cuisines are based on mexican cuisine
why are conservacucks so bootybothered?

>> No.8425035

>>8425029

Texas has a fuckload of German influence. You seem to be missing that broski.

>> No.8425043 [DELETED] 

>>8425029
Back in the day, there was a legitimate ideological difference between "liberals" who believed in moderate regulation, progressive taxation, and government protections for free expression and the rights of minorities, and "conservatives" who believed that free market forces were the solution to everything and the finer complications that appeared to require government intervention were simply a symptom of an unfree market.

Fast forward 25 years and what we have is "elitists" who understand that the world is complicated and have legitimate (albeit not necessarily consistent) ideas on how to make it as good as humanly possible, and "the common man" who thinks that he knows (aka feels) what's best, that it's all really simple, and that the problem is books, brown people, foreigners in general, and big words.

The problem is, there are a lot of books, brown people, foreigners, and big words out there. Until we can burn them all, joe six pack will never be a winner. It's all very simple, see. If you disagree with me you are a hipster or something.

>> No.8425052

>>8425043
I don't know what you are saying, but I don't like it.

I'd better call you a cuck, just to be safe.

You cuck.

That's better.

>> No.8425055

>>8424221

Embarrassing Post..

>> No.8425060

Surpassed my mum a while ago but not my dad. Probably never will surpass my dad considering he is a professional chef.

>> No.8425064

>>8423619
At 16 when I did some prep as a dishwasher and realized you could cut vegetable pieces smaller than the size of a baseball.

>> No.8425235

>>8424571
my long lost brother

>> No.8425238

shes not shit, shes very good
im better at baking cakes, making pies and stuff, shes god tier at roast dinners

>> No.8425244

When i started using salt properly

>> No.8425253

>>8424221
Someone is autistically buttmad

>> No.8425277

She's pretty good. Some questionable dishes, but I'm not going to pass judgement until i have to work 40 hours a week then go home and cook for a few ungrateful kids. Y'all are assholes.

>> No.8425489
File: 37 KB, 240x311, 1449183776289.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8424625
>My gf's mom is Philippino
>(gf is French)

>> No.8425526

My mother is actually a fairly decent cook.

>> No.8425538
File: 85 KB, 252x165, shitposting.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8425526
You dad is a fairly decent cuck, right?

>> No.8425983

>>8425035
>Texas Has a hispanic influence that creates a lot of food
>It also has a German influence! BTFO Mexico

Wouldn't that mean that, together, they helped create glorious Tex-Mex?
BTW I'm Tejano.

>> No.8425996

She's not shit. She has little patience for anything so her cooking is always rushed and not the best. But the rare days where she is relaxed her food is pretty good. stuffed cabbage rolls mang

>> No.8426024

My mother was always a fantastic chef, she even did it professionally and taught at a culinary academy.
However, once she got elderly, that's when things started to change. The last time we visited, it was shocking how bad her cooking had become. She may be developing some elderly disease like dementia, it was hard to tell. It made me really sad, because she instilled the love of cooking in me, and got me my first few jobs in the industry. Bless her sweet old little heart.

>> No.8426029

When i realized that spaghetti bolognese, eaten six times a week, makes me violently ill

Shit's all she ever made. Developed an intense hatred of tomatoes

>> No.8426115
File: 472 KB, 651x1441, 3p9Iv.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8424597
some are funny

>> No.8426122

>>8423619
I knew my mom wasn't a good cook from a young age. She was always scraping the burnt bits off of the toast, and none of her meat was ever cooked all the way through.

My dad was a bit better, but as I got older, I realized that just because deep fried foods with a bunch of butter and salt tasted good didn't mean that they were good - and eventually everything being seasoned and cooked the same got old.

I probably surpassed my parents around 20 when I started to actually cook for myself. Now I can make most things taste pretty great, and even had compliments on my meat dishes I make for friends (which is something, considering I don't eat meat myself)

>> No.8426173

>>8424043

Our smelly little brown rape babies are getting upitty again I see.

>> No.8426290

>>8423619
When I asked for the McChicken, the best fast food sandwich and she brought me tendies because "they're healthier dear".

>> No.8426567

>>8423619
Surpassed when I was 9 but I always liked her cooking even though I knew it was p bad.

>> No.8426607

>>8425012
>Jack
>White

>> No.8426624

>>8423619
It's actually been switched at some point. During my childhood she was pretty awful at cooking.
>box mixes
>canned food
>overcooked steaks
>no foreign dishes
But now she's trying to be like some tv star chef, constantly watching cooking shows and writing down recipes as well as buying a lot of foreign cuisine cookbooks and actually tries to buy the best ingredients.

My father is still shit at making stuff and prefers pre-made or easy to make foods when cooking for himself yet he's surprisingly picky when eating other people's dishes.

With how my mother is now, I can't surpass her but compared to how she use to cook, I'm definitely better than that at least.

>> No.8426652

>>8423619

I learned to cook from a whole bunch of different relatives, mum, dad, my grandma and grandad, aunts and uncles.

I grew up working in a family restaurant my family has a ton of great cooks, there are different meals/dishes that we can outdo each other with.

>> No.8426774

>>8425012
>jack
>human

>> No.8426808

>>8426024
my feels bro, much love to her.

>> No.8426821

17 or 18
2nd because of the first
>only good cook was grandma
>even then was just psrticularly good comfort food

>> No.8426855

>>8423619

Probably after I moved to another state and it went from seeing my family multiple times a week to seeing them a few times a year. After being away for months at a time dishes of hers that I used to hype up just tasted really bad to me. It doesn't help that she always cuts corners (i.e. she'll buy those freezer bags of pre-cooked chicken or if she was making salsa or something like that she'd just throw in a can of Rotel instead of actually taking the time to chop vegetables) and treats pepper like it's an actual food rather than just a spice. I think ~40 years of smoking have deadened her senses of taste and smell by this point.

Within the last five years or so when I stopped being lazy and depending on microwaving shit or doing really simple and quick things to actually making stuff from scratch using fresh ingredients. I also got a lot more willing to experiment and try new ingredients and that taught me a lot about what things compliment each other and what clash.

>> No.8427668

both my parents are only average at cooking. Dad is a little better because he understands how to grill steaks and ribs.
and yes the "white people cant cook lol" may may doesnt make sense. Every time I have "dude this is so dank, authentic mexican cooking, man, dude", its very average food or worse. I dated a mexican girl for a while, she couldnt even make tortillas without burning them, and her hot mom couldnt cook either. The best food Ive ever had is japanese food while in japan, American bbq (made by Americans) and stuff I personally make.
Mexicans put hot sauce on chips and act like thats the height of flavor and put mayo on corn in a cup.
You know if whites put sauce on chips or mayo on vegetables in a fucking cup and it was seriously part of their culture, youd endlessly see people laughing about it on jewbook and twitter.
but, oh...poor brown people do it?
>how cultured, wow
>its actually pretty good, have you tried it?
>but the mayo is like cooked, so its different
>authentic

also, i live next to a mexican neighborhood. "real" mexican cooking is kinda shitty.

>> No.8427758

My mom makes certain meals better than me, but I soon realized she had very little variety. The best things she can make are sauces I'd have to say. Her spaghetti sauce was passed down from my grandma and changed up just a bit. She makes great meatballs too, but those aren't hard to make. That's what I think she's best at.

My mom doesn't believe the whole fat is flavor thing, and it's caused us to eat more flavorless foods because of it. For years we had sirloin burgers with very little fat, and it made me dislike burgers. Then I tried a good burger with more fat content, and my mind was fucking blown.

She's not too big on onions either, so rarely do we ever get any food with onions. Usually we have frozen veggies, which I stick my nose up to because they're just awful. She also tends to overcook broccoli too. For years I thought it was just gross mushy stuff, but nope! Just the way my mom cooks it!

I remember bringing in kosher salt once for cooking, and the kosher salt blew her mind, as well as freshly ground pepper.

At least my mom tries though, unlike most women these days. My girlfriend is a very picky eater, and although she's still kinda young (18) I fear she won't try to cook as much as I do.