[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 65 KB, 680x540, Oh+boy+here+we+go+again+_6b6bd5bda59056d1d3895c438de231fc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8861402 No.8861402 [Reply] [Original]

Why do people say sugar is more addictive than tobacco? I eat a shitton of it daily. I just quite two days ago and I feel nothing except a slight sweet craving

>> No.8861406

i think they mean carbs

basically theyre saying food is addictive

>> No.8861413

>>8861406
No they definitely refer explicitly to processed simple sugars. There's been tons of headlines likening hfcs and sucrose to all kinds of drugs, mainly cocaine, heroine, nicotine and alcohol.

>> No.8861441

>>8861402
>Why do people say sugar is more addictive than tobacco?

The only people who say that are idiots who don't understand the difference between chemical and psychological addition.

>> No.8861463

>Why do people say sugar is more addictive than tobacco?

Those are simply people who usually post on /fit/.

Generally they're all gay, so you can just ignore what they're saying. Also, muh keto fags.

>> No.8861466

>>8861463
Wow cool it with the homophobia

>> No.8861467

>>8861441
Sugar activates and releases the same chemicals as those other substances.

>> No.8861470

>>8861467
That seems like a super retarded logic. Sex and running also has a chemical overlap. The pleasure from heroin is not the main detrimental element.
It'd be like saying smallpox and acne is equally bad because they both cause inflammation

>> No.8861474

>>8861402

I quit tobacco cold turkey and only had slight withdrawals for a couple days. I ended up on it again months later, it was spooky - I didn't even particularly want it, I just suddenly was using again without really realizing it.

Tobacco isn't like H, you don't have terrible withdrawals generally, it is just a hard habit to kick entirely.

>> No.8861485

>>8861470
It's not logic, but fact. It's how all these click bait articles don't their genesis.

>> No.8861487
File: 24 KB, 313x367, 1483313465864.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8861441
which is irrelevant when discussion behavioral outcomes for addicted people. Your responsibilities don't care if you keep using as an escape/coping mechanism or if you're using to keep the shakes away.

>> No.8861489

>>8861467
>Sugar activates and releases the same chemicals as those other substances.

You are describing psychological addition. The "chemicals" you refer to are neurotransmitters in the brain. Those are associated with anything that someone considers pleasurable. It's the same thing that happens when people are addicted to sex, gambling, shopping, TV, etc. It is possible for literally anything pleasurable to be psycholoigcally addicive.

Drugs like Alcohol or Opiates (heroin) are totally different. In addition to the above psychological dependence, these drugs are also chemically habit-forming. They alter the body so that the drug is literally required. An alcoholic will literally DIE if he suddenly quits drinking. Have you ever heard the term "quitting cold turkey" or "kicking the habit"? That's a reference to withdrawals from opiate drugs. If an addict suddenly stops taking his drugs then the skin goes cold and bumpy ("cold turkey") and the person suffers seizures (that's the "kicking" part of the expression). Those kinds of things only happen to drugs that are physically addictive, not merely psychologically addictive.

>> No.8862101 [DELETED] 
File: 26 KB, 375x500, 1784523135063.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8861402
The most addictive shit is still pure water. I tried to quit but it's impossible. Thus I have to say: For me, it's a pure glass of water.

>> No.8862133

>>8861402
They say it because it appeals to the desires of fatties to reject responsibility and to consider themselves as being fundamentally different from others in how their mind and body relate to food. Saying it sells books and gets you on TV. You can't sell books and get on TV telling people that the reason they are obese is because they ate too much and that they have to get on a calorie deficit to lose weight.

>> No.8862142

>>8861466
Wow this place has really changed since I first signed on in 2001.

>> No.8862199

>>8862133
Calorie deficit diets are insanely inefficient and difficult, study found only about 6% of people successfully lose weight on that idea. While you are right that fat people are different when it comes to food, but it is directly related to their sugar intake and abnormal insulin levels compared to a healthy lean person. This is why cutting sugar and carbs is necessary for those people, calorie deficit diets are simply not gonna work until the insulin levels are normalized, and even then it's much better to stick to dietary fats since they keep you full for much longer than sugar or carbs ever will.

t. former fatty

>> No.8862229

>>8862199
No. Only a calorie deficit produces weight loss. Diet composition is irrelevant. Insulin has nothing to do with it. Overweight people just fail at counting calories correctly, which leads to all sorts of unsubstantiated myths. There are many studies that show that overweight people have trouble counting calories accurately.

When comparing high-fat to low-fat diets during weight loss, low-fat diets are minimally more effective at the same calorie deficit because carbohydrates take marginally more energy to metabolize.

>> No.8862264

>>8862199
>Only 6% of people aren't retarded lazy cucks

>> No.8862329

>>8862229
I'm not gonna argue about it, but this is simply not true. If you don't believe me look up Gary Taubes and his studies. I was one of those people who "tried everything" and couldn't lose weight all my life, until i stumbled across his studies. I can't say if it applies to everyone, but it worked for me. Calorie deficit diets do not fail because of "not counting calories accurately", but because it is absolute torture for fatties, that you have to keep up for months at a time to see any results. I lost 11kg while on calorie deficit diet, but ultimately I failed to lose all of the excess weight using that method, I could not get to proper healthy weight until I addressed my sugar/insulin issues.

>>8862264
I can clearly tell you were never fat in your life, calorie deficient diets to fat people are on par to mental torture trying to drop cigarettes, drugs or any other kind of addiction. Try telling a person that smoke 2 packs of cigs a day, to now smoke a deficit of 1-2 cigs a day, this is definitely not easy, and sugar/carbs have the exact same effect on you.

>> No.8862707

>>8862329
>i'm not going to argue about it
argue, argue, argue, blah, blah, blah...final argument....so there