[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 44 KB, 500x333, IMG_0892.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9181331 No.9181331 [Reply] [Original]

What peppers do you use for chili and how many? I'm using one jalapeno, one serrano pepper, and one thai chili pepper? Is this too little? I want it to be spicy, but to still comfortably enjoy it

>> No.9181338

>>9181331
>What peppers do you use for chili and how many?
Quite a few anchos and guajiullos for the base flavor. Spicier peppers would be added depending on the taste of my guests.

>>I'm using one jalapeno, one serrano pepper, and one thai chili pepper? Is this too little?
I have no idea, you didn't specify how much meat that was going with. Sounds mild to me, unless you're cooking a tiny serving.

Anyway, you don't need to pre-calculate this in advance. Add a little pepper then taste the chili after it's cooked for a while. Want it hotter? Add more.

>> No.9181347

>>9181331
Dried peppers are the backbone of chili flavor, then you can brighten it up while adding spice by using some fresh. If you don't have access to dried Mexican chilies or have already hit your desired level of heat with the fresh chilies then use paprika to flavor and thivken the dish.

>> No.9181382

>>9181331
>What peppers do you use for chili and how many?
For each pound of meat, I'll probably soak 3-4 dried red chilies, and then puree them in a blender. If you want intense rich red chili, you should buy bags of dried chilies that are flavorful but not utterly hot. I like ancho, guajillo, new mexico and california chiles. Use only anchos if you are just getting started. WHAT A DIFFERENCE, you will see.

For my pot of chili, I will also use onions, a green bell pepper (or poblano if you do want a little heat). I don't even buy a jalapeno or serrano. I reserve that for when I want green flavor in a fresh salsa. For chili topping, I might slice up some of those ancho peppers into rings, panfry til crisp, and pass as a topping. This is a trick I learned from my sopa de tortilla azteca serving style in restaurants in mexico city. It allows an individual user to get fresh hot chili flavor that doesn't include vinegar. If you can find fresh red jalapenos, of course, use that, but they're perishable and typical only in farmers markets.
Seeds are not digestible, so avoid them as your source of heat to prevent stomach distress in some way.

>> No.9181422
File: 3 KB, 284x115, logo-large.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9181331
>Hi strangers, how much spice should I use? I want it to meet my personal preferences. No further context shall be provided.

Maybe keep adding and tasting until it's right. What else are you expecting to hear?

>> No.9181463

The exact proportions vary for me depending on size of the peppers, but I use about 3 guajillos, 1 ancho and 2 chipotles as far as dry peppers go. I toast them then powder. For fresh, I fireroast, peel and puree 2 red poblanos and 3 red bell peppers.
To make the stock, I pressure cook 1kg (just over 2lbs) of beef bones, knees preferably, in 500ml (a little over 2 US cups) each tomato juice and plain water.
I coat 400ish g (about 14oz, which is a little under 1lb) of cut up beef in the freshly powdered peppers as well as some paprika. The cut depends on what's available and on offer when I go to the store. Sometimes rump. Sometimes whatever the cut from the bottom of the leg is called in English (the calfmuscle?). Basically, whatever I feel up to working with for the price offered. Calfmuscle is delicious but full of sinew so it's a PITA to work with. I also add cumin powder, but you may choose to leave it out.
To make the chili, I fry a chopped onion or two and 4-6 minced garlic cloves in either tallow, lard or vegetable oil, adding beer every now and again until it's a nice shade of caramel.
I add the spice-coated beef and fry a bit.
I add the pepper puree and the strained tomato/beef stock, bring to the boil then lower to a bare simmer and let cook until reduced a bit.
Finally, I salt to taste. 2bh, I often cheat and use beef stock powder in place of plain salt.
This makes four portions of about 500ish g/ml (about 1 pint, US) each.

I serve it with rice and offer sliced jalapeño or green cayenne, finely chopped onion and sliced spring onion at the table to top a serving.

Sorry if this strays too much from American recipes, but that's the way (uhuh uhuh) I like it (uhuh uhuh).

>> No.9181476

Appreciate all the help guys! I am a novice at chili so I'm learning

>> No.9181501

I have a feeling I'm a massive fucking pleb for using powders and sauces instead of actual whole chillies

Think when my moruga bears fruit I may smoke and dry them for use in chilli

>> No.9181502

>>9181463
>he calfmuscle?
That would be "beef shank" in English.

>>Sorry if this strays too much from American recipes
You're using whole peppers you are toasting yourself so you're already doing far better than most American recipes.

>> No.9181563

>>9181501
Oh and when I say powders and sauces I don't mean premixed stuff

>> No.9181614

I make my chili with both 1lbs of ground beef for thickness, and 1lbs of stew beef for something to chew on, in addition to the tomatoes, onions, beer, etc, so this is for a 2lbs batch of chili. I use half a dozen jalapenos sliced with the seeds included, plus three serranos, and a habanero.

>> No.9181787

I usually just add some sour cream, that's plenty spicy enough for me

>> No.9181791

>eating spicy food
why are minorities allowed on 4chan?

>> No.9181793

>>9181791
>being this white unironically
kys mayo

>> No.9181852

>>9181338
This, pretty much.

>> No.9181992

>>9181331
one full carolina reaper

>> No.9182990

>>9181501
>smoking moruga.
wew lad you're going to mace yourself doing that.